Pokemon TCG online

Do anyone here play this?, i always liked pokemon tcg and i didnt know this thing existed, i like how easy its to get cards and decks compared to hearthstone or other online tcgs, in like 3 weeks i got 9 decks and lot of booster for free, also the option to play versus only theme decks it goods it take all the pay2win shit away

Other urls found in this thread:

jklaczpokemon.wordpress.com/an-in-depth-look-back-at-1999-the-hidden-gem-of-pokemon-tcg-formats/
old.60cards.net/blog/posts/detail/158
pokebeach.com/2017/04/the-best-of-xy-and-sm2-beyond-a-new-challenge-leaking
pokebeach.com/2017/05/pokemon-changing-how-reprints-are-printed-likely-no-best-of-xy-set
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The pokemon tcg has always been probably the best card game for avoiding P2W. Even the actual card game is incredibly cheap with high-value cards being sold in store-sold products, making it super easy for anyone to get in (boosters are still a trap). That being said, it still power creeps to fuck.

The TCG game on the GBC is great.

There was a sequel only released in Japan, but there's an English rom hack patch you can get somewhere.

Just comparing cards from 2010 sets from the current year sets is like comparing a butter knife to a nuke

TCG online is terrible to play if you don't actually buy cards in real life, unfortunately it was built to be played as an extension of the actual game.
Not to mention it's a PC only release, really fucking stupid, should've brought it over to mobile.

it hurts

They have ported it to iPad(yes, iPad, not iPhone) and Android

NINTENDOOOOOOOOOOO

You can download the apk from somewhere else and install it on a phone, i play it in my android phone

It's still pretty bullshit with cards like Shaymin EX and now with Tapu Lele GX, cards that are 100% needed at as at least 1-ofs in any competitive deck being skipped over for tins and collections. They even thought it would be better to reptint the entirety of Roaring Skies then to make a Shaymin tin. Not nearly as bad as yugioh for only printing good cards at secret rare or MTG for having bad supplemental products, but still annoying when gettijg into it.

oh shit, cool

Last I checked, Shitnami of America is responsible for anti-consumer bullshit like rarity bumps most of all.

Did you know there's Commons that got bumped to fucking Secret?

Can't you force downloads of incompatible app games by downloading the .apk directly from somewhere else before installing?

Did Poke-Powers/Bodies become broken?

There are some pretty stupid ones, like Shaymin EX drawing you up to six cards in hand.

At least Shaymin will be going away soon. Tapu Lele is dumb but it isn't quite as unfair because you still have to actually play the supporter. Who knows, maybe it and Tapu Fini GX will get tins since the other two Tapus did.

They became so broken that the meta right now is cards that block abilities. It completely shuts down the top decks that can use abilities to lock items, do a billion damage from the bench for free, and draw through almost their whole deck all thanks to abilities.

I never knew it was that bad, I just looked at the prices of the last few set and saw how ALL the cards worh anything were secret rare. Never heard about shifting commons that high, but that's sad to see.

You should also mention the Forest of Giant Plants, which lets grass-types quickly fully evolve.

Does anyone here just collect the cards, and not give a shit about the TCG itself?

It may be mild to advanced autism, but I just like to purchase Pokemon card packs and collect the cards, rather than play them. It may also be a sign of mild gambling addiction too, if we're being honest here. The feeling of pulling an EX or fullart is indescribable.

I suppose is just as dumb as collecting baseball cards, i understand the feeling but personally i dont like wasting money

I've got plenty of money laying around from a disposable income, so I don't really feel too bad about it. Still get regret though from bum packs. I just wish I had some friends who played the game IRL/wanted the code packs. I had a fucking box full of them before I decided to sell them in packs of 20 on eBay.

To each their own.

me champ

When I was a kid I collected the cards just to look at the art. I had favorite artists who I'd try to seek out all the cards they drew and not give a shit about the rest. Then when I found I had a massive amount of cards I was like "fuck it might as well try to be a completionist and catch em all" so I traded to complete my collection for a while. But they kept releasing new sets and I realized I'd never collect all of them because there was always more on the horizon, so I gave up on that. Then to get some use out of the big fucking binder I now had, I finally learned the rules of the game and developed a fire/psychic deck that was unbeatable. It hinged on pokemon powers and trainer cards that allowed you to dig through the deck for other specific cards. I basically set up a chain reaction that led to near-instant victory the moment one of several specific cards was in your hand. I played everyone in school and beat them all, and then nobody wanted to play with me anymore and the binder sat under my bed for 15 years. Now here we are.

What? It's piss easy to get booster packs in game for free, the game practically shits in-game currency at you constantly. Plus you don't even need to buy the actual booster packs, you just go on ebay and buy the codes that come in the packs for a fraction of the price.
I got 145 TCG online codes off ebay for 20 bucks.

Pokemon TCG needs to die.
It was a good, balanced game up until ~2007. Then they started a power creep. And then GF just shat the bed to the point where it looks like they are just printing them as a joke. A very expensive joke.
Originally there was a hard limit of 120 on any pokemon's HP (even Blissey) and 1 colourless energy was roughly eqivalent to 10HP while 1 coloured energy was roughly equivalent to 15HP except evolved pokemon would be slightly more "energy efficient". Pokemon EX would push it a little bit, but even they were balanced and a pure Gen 1 deck could go against a Gen 3 deck and win.

I also admired the art, but I could never afford them so I would download pictures of them and put them all in a big microsoft word document to stare at. Sometimes when I get bored I will do the same, but I haven't kept up with the new Pokemon so I don't care very much to see them.

My favourites are the ones that look like they were made of plasticine.

Wow you sure are smart

Guy who used to play competitively here.
The game is super fucking busted right now and they are really trying to fix it by releasing cards that were made to slow down game play but ironically speed it up to a point where its silly
Pic related, a new card that just came out that fucks every competitive deck right now

Holy shit, how did it get this broken?

I'm about to go to work so I'll explain more later tonight if anyone cares.

I guess it's just usual power creeping

I'm interested. Specific instances of powercreep and game design gone wrong are entertaining. It's even better if the company fails on a pr and community level too.

Just an inferior MTG clone. At least Yugioh can be fun, so long as you use custom rules and banlists.

Well if I had to guess, I'd wager it's all dependent on Trashalanche. Either wait to pull Garbodor, or keep him stocked for mid-game, and then unleash a one-hit monster for all the discarded item cards your opponent has used. You can most likely use Acid Spray to keep boosting if you want to use the luck of your coin flips.

I tried to get into the Pokemon TCG, and the rules just kind of made me hate the whole thing.

Whoever said the game isn't P2W is a fucking dumbass, the original Pokemon TCG wasn't p2w it was designed to be balanced for one set of cards. When Hasbro got their grubby mits on the game, the same way they got their mits on MTG, they threw balance out the window and made every new set have completely unbalanced bullshittery.

Like the idea of a pokemon you can play on the first turn who with 1 energy does 150+ damage. Even during the vanilla game, Electabuzz and Magmar were fucking ridiculous for this kind of thing. Now you have all kinds of shit like Miltank who has 190 damage headbutt for 1 energy.

OP here, when i said its the least pay2win game i was referring to the Theme decks versus mode, in that mode you can know all the cards of your opponent deck and play according to it, but yeah the other modes its who got the better cards just like all other cards games

The power creep is insane, M Rayquaza here can literally do 190 turn 1 if you dig hard enough, equip a belt, and hit with Max Elixir (probably the TCG's biggest mistake), but your opponent could be playing a Carbink deck that nullifies all your attackers, or a Zebstrika deck that hits for insane damage and trades 2 for 1.

The best decks are the best for their matchups and consistency, but cheap counter decks are almost always available to beat the tryhard netdeckers. You can't just build anything you want and expect to beat the popular meta decks, but that can be said for any TCG and TPCI is good at pushing cheap anti-meta cards, mostly thanks to the built-in weakness mechanic.

Ok back from my job. Lets explain shall we?

(1/???)
Well to really understand why the game is crazy right now and what (at least I think) the devs want in the long run you have to look at the whole games history and how they have worked their game design. You also have to look at how older formats worked and what the best cards and decks back then were like to fully get it. This is gonna take a minute because i'm shit at writing and need to get images so hold on. Also keep in mind gen's 3 and 4 will be a bit hazy because I was a skrub when I played back then.

Mega ray can hit 240 turn one easy peasy thanks to sky field. Also, mega ray typically plays at least one hex maniac which turns off ability's for a turn and they typically run a backup attacker to make up for any bad match ups. Also Tapu lele (another card that just came out) helps it a ton in said bad matchups while grabbing said hex maniac.

R.I.P. 7db8f5

No I'm just really bad at writing and I'm looking at a shit ton of sources to back up what I'm saying, This will take a while.

I'll see you in there morning then, pal.

(2/2)
The game has always been a bit busted. There has been times it hasn't been and while its close to being fixed in the meantime its so so bad.
This might help you understand how the game looked back then and how it kinda looked a few years ago in the black and white era
jklaczpokemon.wordpress.com/an-in-depth-look-back-at-1999-the-hidden-gem-of-pokemon-tcg-formats/
TFW you write a short history lesson might need to understand some of this for like an hour when you find someone else did it better

Now what I believe that the designers of the game want is a format mimicking past ones with it being more balanced, this means no more Energy removal or Professor oak without some kind of drawback (see Juniper and enhanced hammer) and with more options for deck building. If I am right this basically means they are trying to make the expanded (gen 5 onwards doesn't rotate) format kinda like the gen 1- gen 4 unlimited (all cards legal) format without the crazy first turn win decks present there (See old.60cards.net/blog/posts/detail/158 for what those FTW decks look like) and I think they want standard format in the next year or two to look like a format that focuses more on Pokemon ability's and branching evolution lines (see Lycanroc to see what I mean also I'm too lazy to find an old format like that, I know there are some I just don't want to misquote)
Now all of this is fine and dandy right? But here's the big problem, when the Pokemon EX cards came out in 2012 they only printed them as basics with higher hp then the best stage two's and gave them crazy attacks that kill anything that wasn't an EX See Darkrai EX and Mewtwo EX (Darkrai is still top tier in expanded even though its five years old!!). That plus the fact that it took YEARS for them to finally make Pokemon that could win tournaments without being EX's was insane. This and the fact they kept bringing back cards that defined the meta they originated from but in a new form (for easy examples see Professor Juniper, N, Computer search, and Mega ray. These are just Professor Oak, Rocket admin, uh computer search but you can only play one, and Wigglytuff from jungle on steroids.)
Now to combat these EX's they have introduced GX's, Which are basically the same thing except they work like the old ex's from gen 3 that have to evolve first and changed some design philosophy about evolution cards (again see Lycanroc). While the game is so close to being balenced they kinda messed it up by printing Garbodor a little bit to early. Garbodor is bad for the game ""Right now"" because in order to play the game you really have to play a lot of items on your first turn (upwards to 10 if not more) had they printed more draw engines in the game (something like Claydol's cosmic power (Which is a perfect power to put on a stage one GX btw) the game would finally been in a state where its balanced and things aren't terrible but now we are here.
Fuck that took way too long

A few other cards I talked about but ran out of images

many people did that with generations

I was like 10 the last time I bought any cards. It cost like 7 dolleridoos for a few cards, and that was when shekels were more valuable.

Ex-player here. The game was improving HGSS onwards then went full retard once the EX cards hit. Considering that the SP dominated tournaments even with a hard counter in it's format should been the warning sign but tcpi don't give a fuck. Didn't help they went full retard with it early with Mewtwo EX. (MewtwoEX mirrors were cancer)
The GX system is okay but the game seems to be designed now in such a way you don't want to play, And fucking staples like lele gx and shaymin ex are money cards for all the wrong reasons. Game was a lot healthier with draw powers like claydol shown here .

correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Claydol centralising the meta

This, though I think the game can be salvaged if they print a card or two like claydol and put shaymin and lele in a tin for gods sake.

While I've only read about people playing the format he was legal in from what I know he was literally the draw engine in the format, most formats have one and he was it along side uxie.

To an extent, yes but i'd much prefer a non shuffle draw ability, (the biggest setback to new players has always been the excessive shuffling of the game) and the simple fact you could pick up a playset of claydol for the price of a half art shaymin/lele.

Should've been lele over bulu but they aren't gonna listen to a couple of anons when good goys still buy them.

well good news is that they might be reprinting shaymin in a way so its not legal for 2018 and that it gets new art
pokebeach.com/2017/04/the-best-of-xy-and-sm2-beyond-a-new-challenge-leaking
pokebeach.com/2017/05/pokemon-changing-how-reprints-are-printed-likely-no-best-of-xy-set

Groovy, thanks for shedding a bit of light. Also that mewtwo and darkrai are insane for basic drops, I can see why it spiraled.

If they print a Shaymin promo for extended, maybe a Tapu Lele tin isn't so far fetched?

FINALLY