Do you tend to have more or fewer problems with running video games than other people?

Do you tend to have more or fewer problems with running video games than other people?

Ever since I graduated from prebuilt desktops and laptops to a budget build I haven't had any genuine problems with games that I see often reported. Crashes and bugs that other people tend to experience (according to what I read online) just don't happen to me, and I'm free and clear of almost all of the major issues.

Even games that some people report stuttering and framerate issues on will run perfectly fine for me.

My computer isn't extremely spectacular, it's pretty mid-range but can run any modern AAA game on High or Very High settings without much of an issue. I haven't upgraded from 1920x1080 on my monitor and see no reason to since I have enough screen space. A very middling computer that really doesn't stand out in a crowd, yet I don't experience the same problem 80% of other people do.

Are the majority of "gamers" out there really just running terrible prebuilt computers or frankenstein computers made out of hand-me-down parts that are at the end of their lifespan? Or am I just extremely lucky?

I've only ever used prebuilts and I rarely, if ever, run into problems

During normal usage? Never. When I pirate, mod, extract music files and such? Then fuck ya bb

More because I refuse to fall for the nvidia jew ever again. It doesn't count as a weakness when the competitor is using every trick in the book to gain an unfair advantage.

There are a couple of older games like KOTOR and Fallout 1-2 that I always run into issues with. Outside of that, its very rare.

I think the "it works for me" meme is from trolls. Everyone reports problems and posts their specs then someone says it works for them yet refuses to post theirs because it matches one build already up. I built my machine part for part in 2015 out of the best stuff then and for some reason in modern games that I use a controller for I need to press the keyboard every half a minute or so or I'll get massive framedrop.

Older games no I don't think I ever had a problem. Ran everything up until now, can't run Neir A or Vanquish well. Will report back when Cyberpunk 2077 comes out.

I automatically knock everything down to 480p as a default practice.
Oh and protip
Most technical problems are from people running at NATIVE resolution when their computer cannot handle it
If I had a dollar for every time I said "Turn your resolution down" I'd be able to afford to use to 1080ti's

lowering the resolution makes text difficult to read if you lower it too much.

Text is technically "readable" at 480p but it gives me a headache to read it.

Only if the game doesn't have proper font scaling, and that's actually very few.

Ever since the advent of 1080p HD developers have gotten lazier and lazier. Find me a game made in 2016 that has readable text at a resolution of 640x480.

Not to mention most games don't support abnormal resolutions, so widescreen 480p is a pain.

Just having a working knowledge of keeping up-to-date drivers and game versions is beyond most normalfag's abilities. During a program installation, asking them to do anything beyond clicking Next as fast as possible without reading anything is asking too much. You can forget something as complex as downloading a pirated game via torrent, blocking the game in the windows firewall, running custom patches or replacing executables with cracked version. They can't follow simple instructions.

I can do one better, Nier: Automata 2017

Perfect little angels
Every single thing that can go wrong does

I'm going to be so happy when I finally get a custom built computer. The only shit this doesn't happen with are my laptops (Instead, they suffer from hardware problems).

To answer OP's actual questions. I tend to have very few difficulties. I think one of the reasons for that is buying mostly Nvidia products. I know they are a little more expensive, but they have good performance, typically good stability, and better compatibility with most stuff. Since most stuff is made to ensure compatibility with them before other manufacturers.

Yes and no.
You have to account that nowadays publishers don't care about optimization, so a lot of games run like shit (or demand a stupidly high graphic card, for example, the whole "high quality texture pack" for NuFallout 4).
So it's a mix of those things.

Maybe you have a shit taste in games.
Anything outside normalfag tier usually tends to have trouble due to it being old, made by drunk russians and/or low budget, worst case scenario its all af the reasons combined.

Most problems are easy enough to solve but network problems when playing with friends are a bich since you first have to narrow down whos computer is fucking up and what its fucking up.

Well I didn't get a 1080p monitor to run games at 800x600 resolution.

I like to try new things. Even if it's AAA, thanks to Steam's current refund policy I've been cycling the same $60 around to try out new games the day they release for a while now.

If I like it, I keep the game. If I don't, I uninstall and request refund.

I rarely pirate any more these days, unless it's a physical-copy-only import game or there's literally no way to buy it anywhere. Or if I feel like I could enjoy it for a few more hours (past the initial 2) but not quite enough to justify a full purchase.

Well if your computer can't run those games, you really only have yourself to blame

My computer can. Have you not read my posts? I can run most games without issue.

Still can't run Minecraft without frame drops. What a piece of shit.

I'm not referring to you.

If I have any problems, I fix them.

Disable screensaver/power saver mode. Its obvious that your pc just switches to power saver mode because input from gamepad is not considered as regular input such as kb/m.

Wait that's a thing? Shit maybe my old laptop isn't actually a straight up piece of shit
Please for the love of fuck do not let there be ghosts in this thread

heh

What a dumb dumb

No idea, most of my friends run GNU+ and have all the issues that come with that while I run win7 and while I get the odd problem it's normally easy enough to fix.

As for looking at problems other people are having on forums that isn't going to give you an accurate idea of how many people are having issues as those without issues won't be posting there. Any "help with X" thread is always going to be a small sub-set of the community that have that issue. except when the game is so broken the majority have issues

Go to bed grandpa.

I rarely ever have problems.
Like only when something is downright broken and doesn't work on anybody's machine.
Over the years I came to realization that when person can't run something I can, he 100% fucked up somewhere.
Either his OS is fucked up, or his drivers are out of date, or he has specs below required, or he's an AMD user.
So yeah "works for me" is perfectly valid argument. Learn computers if it doesn't.

I have a prebuilt lean mean spreadsheet machine from 2007.
I have a game crash at least twice a day no matter what I play and getting 60 FPS is something I can only do on an empty CS:S map.

Will suck cock for a not integrated graphics card.

Since you got double dubs consider the following:
If you have enough time to play games and to deal with those fuckeries but don't have money for good computer, why not get a fucking job. And no I don't mean becoming wageslave, there are plenty of ways to earn money if you have a working brain.
And then you can get yourself good computer and become neet again.
What's the issue?
I mean do you really enjoy your time spent of games running like shit?

Ok grandpa, I'll just go out and find a job, maybe then I'll go use one week's wage to put down a deposit for a house and buy gas for $1 a gallon.

What is this fresh meme?

GNU + Linux
Starts at 30 seconds.

I've just never seen anyone refer to it as GNU+, which I thought was a joke about HURD.

You can never fully run a libre Linux machine if your Intel ME runs a proprietary RTOS.

Less because i pirate everything like any self respecting inteligent man does

How is that objectively intelligent?

Out of my 70 something Steam games, none of them work when I've got no internet (I switched from GOG when I found out about their SJW marketer or whatever). Except for the ones that completely lack DRM and can run even with Steam deleted. I once did a proper uninstall of Skyrim (through Steam and all) and when I finally got some internet, I reinstalled it and the game completely lack textures. It kinda looked like that cartoon mod except everything was white. My computer can not boot Steam or GOG versions of The Witcher 1 or 3, even after lots of troubleshooting. FarCry 3 works well, except I have to turn off V-sync then reactivate it for it to work. Lumino City, a game I thoroughly enjoy for being comfy, is glitched really bad on its second playthrough for me, with dialouge boxes constantly staying up and blocking the art. Every PS3 game I've ever played has crashed the system at one point or another, on fat and slim models (Though this one isn't awful since all PS3 games seem to save every two seconds). Fuck, now that I've though about it, maybe I should quit trying to play vidya.

C'mon user, you know what games are like these days. I'd rather pirate and then buy a legitimate copy if I like a game, rather than pay for a copy of a game, find out it's shit, and have that money go down the drain.

I agree 100% but that isn't what that user said.

This is usually because the retards in question haven't ever cleaned their PC out and it has three years of dust insulating everything: overheating is bad for performance. This is doubly true for people who rely on prebuilts because opening the case voids their warranty.

You probably never try to run more than the vanilla version of games, use few mods if you do and only popular stuff which almost never fails.
You probably have never tried to daisy chain dlls when booting games or stuff like that.

It uncommon for most people to have errors when running games properly installed and without any modification.

The probability of situation explained by me is highly likely.

I don't know about you, user, but I was a child once. I wasn't born a manchild.

I have a self-built myself, and while for the most part I haven't had too many game problems, there are some very very specific exceptions.
- On two occasions, a game caused my graphics card to fritz out, turning my entire screen into a modern art piece that lasted until I put the whole thing to sleep. This happened with Battleborn I played during the free beta weekend and it was awful and with Raiden.
- On three other occasions, possibly four, a game straight up froze my entire computer and forced me to restart the whole thing. This happened with Lichdom (which already ran like ass on my machine even on the lowest settings), Darksiders, and one time with Bayonetta, although that game worked without a hitch otherwise.

My game issues are just weird and I have no idea when it's a problem with my machine and when it's with the game itself. I can play Killer Is Dead, but not Darksiders. D4 has no frame drops, but DmC is nigh-unplayable. I have no excuse for playing DmC.

Sounds like you have Nvidia.

I believe it's actually AMD.

Bad luck, it seems.

>Internet cut out while I was downloading so it was my fault

Most problems are early in a game's lifespan. Unless you are playing the in the first year or two, most problems won't appear.

Also, if you are only playing at 1080p, it doesn't really matter. That's like saying "my car isn't spectacular but runs at 30mph just fine".

Built a crossfire (2 R9 390's) rig, and paired it with an ultrawide monitor. I occasionally run into problems. Haven't had a game just not work, though.

I run into problems almost exclusively with new releases. Older games usually run well, or have a well known fan patch that fixes all issues

Go back to your nap, and don't forget to leave your teeth in the glass.

*two
Welp, I'm retarded.

I had the same thing happen with Bayonetta. Going through the cemetary sequence and then suddenly my screen cuts to black, then I lose all sound, then my mouse and keyboard stop responding, in that order.
It's just a dogshit port.

most of the time any issues I've had in the past could be traced back to:
-running outdated pirated copies
-running AMD graphics
-running modern OSes

I hate this. The game is actually pretty fun but why the fuck is the PC version so fucked?!

a lot of PC versions are fucked in general. Either put up with it or get into consoles

I pirated it because 60 burger bux is a bit much for me this month. I might actually pick it up for my console if I can find a real good deal for it. Idiort master race, fuck the xbone though lol.