Competitive Games

Do you play VS against a human opponent? If that option is there, use it! Whether it be aRPGs/Fighters/FPS, playing against friends are fun.

I like smash bros Wii U, it best competitive gaem. I want more fire emblem characters and funny silvaghnner memes :)

Those are the games I put the most hours into user

I'm a huge meleefag OP. Trying to get a scene going where I'm at is like pulling teeth. I also play USF4 and UMvC3. I am really fucking bad at competitive FPS but I still dick around in arena shooters from time to time.

nobody remembers RTS.

I should also mention trying to get some melee going on Holla Forums is like pulling more teeth

HURR DURR ESPORTS IS BAD BUT WE HATE CASUALS PARADOXICALLY

Well I gotta admit Esports is pretty much the line at which fun stops being allowed, you can see this in the shitty sterile atmosphere that places like EVO have, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a game as far as it can go mechanically to get good. I agree with your implication that Holla Forums shouldn't demonize people who want to get gud.

I dont think Holla Forums was ever against games being played at a competitive/professional level, it's just the "E-sportz lul we r athletes 2 u kno xddd" shit that's cancerous. I cant really say anything because the only competitive scene I've ever paid attention to was Counter-Strike.

twinkle star sprites is the best competitive game ever made and you really can't prove it wrong

Pass. Stat progression is boring enough alone. Having the outcome of a game with another human be 100% dependent on numbers is the dumbest shit.

If you're not taunting every free moment you have in a fighting game than you're doing it very wrong.

I don't have any friends, I have been playing alone since I was 12.

nigger

Nobody plays RTS but they really should, the high mechanical skill and quick strategic thinking required always sets a high enough skillfloor and ceiling.
Sadly everyone either plays ASSFAGGOTS clones or sticks to gookclicker 2, which sadly has no strategic depth unlike something along the lines of Ages of Empires or Supreme Commander.

All strategic depth is lost at the highest levels of any real time game because it just turns just turns into rps variants and technical skill checks.

You're still here?
Not really, at the highest level of play in something like SupCom, the two most important factors is what counterstrategy you can devise against your opponent and how much intel you can gather about said strategy by scouting. There's very little RPS involved in there too due to how units work and, outside of Air micro, there's few things a mechanical micromanagement advantage can do to help against a superior force with a numerical, technological or tactical advantage.

I've been playing Ashes of the Singularity
It's alright
Might try to drag friends into some SupCom: FA or Zero-K (the latter being something I've never actually played but am a little curious about)

Also AFPS is great and more people should play it. CPM and Xonotic are great and I still dump time into both. Reflex isn't bad either. Fuck nu-id though

The eternal dilemma of putting time into high skill ceiling games
Gotta improve to enjoy the game more, but the more you improve the more your pool of potential opponents shrinks. Hell, even basic shit puts you ahead of the rest.

On the fighting games note though, how did you guys practice? Just repeatedly doing moves or what? Every so often I poke around in KoF or VF5:FS, but I think I'd need to drag a friend in before I could really start dumping autism hours into it and so I keep going over the same part of the process repeatedly. It's not like AFPS where I just enjoy scooting around the map at sanic speed

What?
That's part of what makes it rps. Have you ever played a game at a high level before?

To practice we just kept fighting each other. We'd both already had basic skills down, so at that point it was just trying different strategies against a skilled opponent. Honestly he was better than me, so that drove me to keep challenging him to get better, and when I'd beat him he'd feel the need to come back as well. Plus we played a bunch of different games. He got me in to KoF which is my favorite fighter to this day.

I really think the trick is finding that person who is really in to it, or at least enough so to always strive to become better and then forming a sort of teacher/student/rivals/friends relationship.

Oh, and forgot to say: KoF with a friend really can pull you in because then you start getting really interesting strategies. My favorite is XI because of all the cancels and rolls (plus best girls).

What games does America actually stay on top in? The usual trend I see is that Americas usually define the meta and are the absolute best for about a year after a game comes out, but then other regions will have people who grind the shit out of it.

None.

Are we at least good at CoD or halo or some other casual fps?

CoD and Halo sure, but those dont really have any competition outside the Americas. I will say we are really good at AFPS, but not necessarily better than Europe; it's pretty even there.

We good at Melee, Mahvel and Mortal Kombat. Everyone will come at me saying these games are all shit but that is irrelevant.

No we aren't, we lose to Swedes 9/10 times. We don't seem to be good at 64 anymore, a bunch of Brazilians sat around and grinded it to the point of perfection.

Playing disrespectfully, I feel, is the ultimate form of respect.

Nigga we win over 50% of melee majors. Just because 2 Swedes are godlike doesn't mean the US gods stopped existing. I do have to concede that a lot of these majors being in the US skews the results since Leffen and Armada can't be at every tournament, however almost every tournament where Leffen or Armada was #1 had a US player in second. Armada does still lose to US players enough that I wouldn't say the US is not good at the game.

Why are all these fgc threads leaking out of the general . Stay dead like your shitty genre pleaseg

m2k and pp pretty much stopped existing. m2k does keep a lot of not god tier players out of top 8s typicall though.

who cares? It's fucking smash bros

What do you guys think of tournament venues? The business model seems impossible to profit from, but I've had a lot of fun nights even just playing friendlies at a couple of em across eastern PA, where there seems to be a ton of them.

I used to play a lot of them with my friends, but they moved on to Dota/CSGO/Whatever flavor of the month game there is.
Feels bad.

I want competitive puzzle games like Puyo Tetris or Puzzle League to be more popular so more are made. Or at least popular enough to warrant another Meteos on 3DS.

i dont like competitive games because its less about strategy and skill and more about whatever bullshit you looked up on the internet and abusing mechanics that only serves to give an advantage against people who dont know the exploits.

All in all i think "meta" is pretty gay and people who follow it lack greater thinking (because someone smarter then them figured it out and all they did is read his post on some forum explaining it)

Puyo Puyo is fucking nuts. Don't make me post ProYoCo videos.

The only game I had the drive with to really git gud at competitively was Starcraft 2, and HotS really fucked it.

SC1 was a better competitive gameā€¦

I have 78 IQ, I'd much rather play against bots

I love fighting games, but my internet is too shit to play online even with people from my country.
So yeah I play against bots.

Does Puzzle Bobble count? I fucking love that game. It's not a pure puzzler but I still play it every few months.

As much as I love fighting games, I think the competitive scene breeds an ilk that's high on their own farts. You know the faggots I'm talking about, the guys that think mastering an Infa-Morrigan combo gives them the right to deem games namely Smash games not fighting games because they think video games are supposed to be some kind of serious business e-sport and don't want their genre associated with anything kids like.

You need some friends my dude

If you had a 78 IQ, you wouldn't even have been able to make that sentence, flawed as it was.

Smash is a good game tainted by an awful community which is basically every competitive game that's popular right now.
There are very few people in the Smash community I actually respect.
Also Melee is stale as fuck. Sm4sh has had some of the best top 8 action at EVO and you'd have to be fucking blind to not see that.
the sad part is, despite smash's community being shitty, there are far worse communities out there (SFV, MKX, etc.) but people ignore that because they're too concerned with proving to people that smash isn't a fighting game

The best practice is against another person. Doing the same move/combo over and over again in training mode is only good to become consistent at doing them.

Looking back on it, I got into fighting games as an extension of rhythm games since that's how combos feel to me. All the extra stuff of footsies, pressure, oki etc is fun to learn and apply in a real match.

This is probably the most relevant thread atm and I don't want to create a thread for Quake Champions, does anyone know if Crash(the character) is in that game? Also who the fuck names a character Crash, I can't find shit on her

That's no paradox. Casuals are terrible, but E-sports faggots are also terrible. You can play games well without pretending to be a special boy m8.

You are being retarded on purpose. Stop it.

I'm actually pretty good at card games, usually discovering and breaking the decks and tech before it hits the internet. The thing is it usually isn't just one guy, its a community effort. one guy might come out with something game breaking, another sees it and adds some other minor element that had already been known but no one used, another guy optimizes it through grinding and so on.

I have said this before on here, but the actual melee scene that goes to tournaments is chill as fuck. Its filled with DUDE WEED bros going to college that enjoy getting together to play a nintendo party game. For any tournament that isn't a regional or up half the people there are just there to smoke weed, have a good time and play videogames.

Most of the people you run into on the internet that talk about melee haven't ever actually been to a tournament and just watch twitch streams where their only interaction is with twitch chat and the casters. The result are people with this serious business esports attitude full of shitty opinions and memes. They usually sit around their house playing vs bots and if they ever manage to make it out to one they have anxiety attacks through the whole thing because they have never been juggled before and they lose whatever techskill they spent a gorrillion hours practicing religiously.

You probably mean Slash.

There's also a Crash in Q3A/QLive. She's tutorial-tier, and is basically a ladyPhobos
Crash isnt in QC, and the same people who named her come up with names like Slash, Anarki, Major, Mynx, etc. It was a different time.
I'm sure they'll add her in at some point

I got a pal who seems to be in the same place as you and kinda feel bad for him. He clearly wants to play his game and tries to get my group into it but no one is really interested unless we are playing with each other at times. When its against him its an obvious defeat, Now i'm not going to go into the reasons why the group and me don't want to get into (lazy pretty much), but how could we help our pal. He has gone to local gatherings but wants us to go with him and practice, etc because he wants to have the thing he did with a friend in the past like you did. We have tried getting him to play games with us but its easy to tell he just wants to play his fighting game or some other fighting game but get into it with someone else.

Anyway good luck to everyone here trying to find people to play with and tournaments. Seems like a bitch for some to even find one person to play with competitively.