Gwent Open Beta

Gwent's open beta came out on the 24th. You grinding ranks yet anons? Getting some free kegs? Got a favorite archetype? Favorite faction or card? Want to post a deck idea you have?

I've been missing around with the new Wild Hunt mechanics as that's the cards I've been getting out of kegs. Been pretty fun. Digging the weather changes.

Sidenote, in one of the tutorials it gets you to create a premium card but doesn't refund meteorite powder. I believe CDPR is planning to change that in a patch, at least I hope so. Wasted 100 meteorite powder on a Clear Skies premium.

gwentdb.com/
gwentify.com/
gwent-tracker.com/
gwentlemen.com/

Dice poker>gwent

Gwent was fun in the Witcher game
But the whole thing seems shallow as fuck

Even RNGstone seems better than this

The standalone Gwent is much different than Witcher 3's. I didn't care for it much in W3 either.

I thought it was an interesting game, but I felt you had to be an extreme autist to go after the cards when you have the main game and batter side quests sitting in front of you. I'm going to enjoy the game now that it has a standalone title.

That's how I felt as well, and on top of that W3 Gwent was a bit too shallow as the other user said. Had potential though, and I'm glad they have attempted to get in depth with in standalone Gwent. Bunch of new mechanics from W3's version, and just in the switch from closed to open beta they did a lot of redesign of cards and mechanics too.

I'd say it's worth a try at least. The new starter decks in open beta looked alright from what I saw, and you get all the faction leaders for free now if you do the challenges. It's pretty easy to get free kegs just from winning rounds too.

I should say except for Nilfgaard. Nilfgaard's starter deck is probably the worst one from what I saw. I'd have to look at it again, but I pretty much removed all the starter decks and went straight into opening kegs I got from playing in closed beta and built my own deck.

Trying out the whole Northern Realms armor mechanic and I can't really figure out why they decided to not let you weather your own side of the board. Would be useful for cards like Redanian Elite to play fog or rain on their row. On top of that let you choose which side of the board to use Clear Skies on so if someone were to use that technique just remove their weather, and you got other counters with it like D-Shackles and shit so yeah. Would make sense for it to work that way.

From googling it seems the issue is that GOG galaxy thing doesn't work in Wine. Gwent itself does though from what I have read. Maybe there's a way to bypass galaxy, but I don't know.

I tried it during closed beta and didn't really like it. I much prefer the witcher 3 version, despite it being rather unbalanced.
TW3 Gwent is a dare game in which you try to make your opponent waste his good cards on one round so you can take the other two.
Current Gwent is about getting special cards that hit other cards and you can spend real money to get those, so fuck it.
props for putting boob physics on fucking cards though

>Don't worry, this client is just for added special sauce! We'll never make it mandatory for anything.
Gee whiz, who could've seen this one coming?

Yeah, GOG got pretty bad quickly.
I wonder what changed.
Probably that your average gamer doesn't actually care about mandatory systems and giving all their information and rights to whatever thing they sign up to. As well as pressure from developers.

I played the closed beta. It's all about combos – there's shitload of combos for virtually any card, along with a shitload of counters, and it's all about having a better combo (read: being lucky and drawing the right cards for your hand) than your opponent and not getting countered. It's better than hearthstone in that it lets you tacticise more (you can run with a smaller deck, limiting the number of combos you can pull off but increasing the chances of getting the cards you need, plus there's the three rounds thing where you can bait the opponent into overspending in one round and not having the cards in later ones, etc.), but it's still just a shitty card game.

The rewards in closed beta were very generous and allowed you to buy a pack or two a day even if you only played a few games (which, combined with the relatively small amount of all cards meant you soon had yourself a very respectable deck) as well as being generous with letting you choose out of three special cards in addition to the regular ones when you bought a pack, so that you almost always got something you could use from a pack. I can't see this possibly making it into full release, however – there was literally no reason to spend any money on cards if you had at least a little patience, and since getting cards was so easy and fast, you could probably assemble literally all the cards in the game after about half a year of playing.

Remember when Witcher was praised as the savior of gaming and slayer of Jews? Guess the tables has flipped, eh?

Bump, but if no feedback I'll just let the thread die. I'm not autistic enough to defend a game.

TW3 Gwent was alright but the cards you had were much more important than skill.

Also, here's the current deck I've been rolling with while grinding out levels to open up the ladder.

Some things I'm considering is going heavier on the Hounds/Frost but so far it's been alright since I also have White Frost and Aeromancy. The Riders have been a bit of dead weight as I don't have a good way to stagger them so they've been pretty open up to Geralt:Igni and Scorch, but when they work they're nice to have.

Renew might get swapped as well. Great to have of course, but I also have Yen:Con and Royal Decree. I just swapped out the Yen:Con for Speartip too cause I thought there might be an interesting combo there if a player is moving their units out of frost. Drag 'em back in the row with Jotunn and Caranthir, maybe craft a frightener if I like that idea.. We'll see though.

I'm all in favor of drm-free myself but praising the witcher/CDPR series was the work of autists trying to spread drm-free at any cost by using kike-tier tactics to shill CDPR and drm-free games with no regards about quality.

I liked the witcher 3 version with all its card abilities but atleast they gave out witcher 2 for free for beta testers.

Woke up stupidly early for some reason, but I did make a variant of the deck here last night I toyed around with.

Dropped the Wild Hunt Riders altogether. I could've added some potions to stagger them but I just felt like those slots were better used elsewhere. Also swapped Eredin for Dagon as my leader. Riders and Warriors were the most I'd use him for as Hounds aren't worth as much if you've already used all your frosts and Navigators summon instead of spawn so figured an additional frost + 7 power was better and it's been working out well. So yeah, just going super heavy on frost and control. Fiend and Cleaver has me covered for locking, archgriffin for clear weather, WH Warriors for a bit of removal. Be annoying with frost and stack on the melee row with Speartip and use Caranthir and Jotunn to drag enemy units to melee. Been working out so far.

Some options would be to drop an archgriffin for a thunderbolt or more removal, but I'm still running into a lot of droughts and rag nar roog. Maybe First Light instead of Archgriffins too, but Aeromancy won't pull clear skies and the Archgriffin being a 7 body is nice. Could still include Yennefer: Conjuror for more control but the Caranthir/Jotunn/Speartip is pretty fun. Frightener's another one but I don't know what you'd swap out for it as it's a 10 and disloyal and it moves to random rows, I just prefer the more static nature of Jotunn. I'd create the deck on gwentdb or something so newcomers could look at mechanics and stuff, but it doesn't seem gwentdb has everything updated yet and a ew cards here are different than in closed beta.

But yeah, like I said I'll let the thread die. I can't really say anything to anyone other than standalone Gwent is different than W3's by a fair margin and to try it as I said above and I'd just be repeating myself, or to essentially defend a toy but I'm not young or autistic enough to do that. So unfortunately I don't have much to discuss. Still, wanted to show off my deck idea here.

Oh also drowners could be good to include but I'd need to craft some. I can't think of any other units that move enemies around the board, I'll have to check. Sage since I'm double posting.

fug, put sage in the wrong field.

Clearly you have not played the standalone Gwent, its the best card game out there

You're wrong, the standalone Gwent is the same, it's entirely about bluffing and tricking your opponent to waste their good cards on one round.

Ciri is the best btw

It's certainly the most fun I've had in a ccg in a long time.

Also, I made a fog version of my deck above. Already had two drowners, just needed to make a third one. Maybe gonna save scrap for a Woodland Spirit to replace the Royal Decree in this deck for the extra fog but it's been pretty solid so who knows.

Idea behind it, tweaking as I go along and get more cards of course -

no one would've ever given a shit about this series if people didn't use it as a comparison to show just how awful Dragon Age is. notice how when people's faith in Bioware died out people stopped clamoring about the Witcher being GOTYAY.

I don't understand how a trading card game can exist in a medieval setting. Who produces those cards? Who draws the art? How do they produce multiples of the same card with exact reproductions of the artwork? Why does everybody from nobles to peasants have these cards? Why are people like Geralt and Ciri in the cards?

It's probably some sort of crafts guild tbh.

WHY IS SHE SO FUCKING HOT
it's such a vanilla look, why does it look so great?

This is one reason why I refused to play Gwent in W3. The second was that the game itself is just trash. The standalone Gwent is okay though.

hello bethesda writer

I just assumed it was based on Dandelion's tales and someone wanting to make a game out of it. The games make Dandelion's tales seem pretty well known in the world, or at least I was under that impression.

I'd recommend carrying some first lights maybe. A lot of people are running Ragh Nar Roog and Drought and they tick as soon as they're played. I think CDPR should make weather tick at the end of the turn possibly.

I have the standard bearer to clear weather and i can tutor for them with my emissaries

My army of 2s will destroy you

Oh yeah, I forgot Standard Bearers clear weather now. My bad fam.

There was a part in the game that referenced a wizard that uses the stench of cheese as a source of magic. At this point I'm willing to believe that anything is possible in the world of Witcher.

Northern Realms was my favorite in TW3 but they feel piss weak in the standalone

i thought i would get pretty far with the 60 kegs i got from the closed beta, but i barely have enough cards to make a half decent reveal deck. which is pretty fun to play actualy, im glad they got buffed.

the concept is still the exact same, you just have different tools.

Its called tyromancy and it was an actual thing people did in the real world to predict the future.

They're better than they were in closed beta at least. Most NR decks were Radovid control and they didn't have much options out of that. Now you got the armor mechanic, Blue Stripes tribal, etc. I haven't played an NR deck in open beta yet though. Just mostly focusing on monsters as they're my favorite and getting cards for them when I can.

blue stripes is decent i suppose, but they just feel like a weaker version of skellige tbh

Yeah, idk. I haven't messed with NR yet much so I don't have any suggestions for you unfortunately. I just know NR underwent a lot of changes going into open beta.

So playing a few matches just now I've seen a few NR players going with a Reaver Hunters thing with Nenneke/Operator/Shani and Henselt as leader. If it works it's pretty stupid to deal with as it can be a huge point gain in the last round.

If this is true the game has to be good

Cool, I love TW.

Why do we need yet another card game? Did they see how much dosh the others were making and decided to join in this?

It's Ves's premium, premiums being the animated cards which are Gwent's version of foils basically. I thought i had a webm but I don't, maybe someone else does. But yeah when you move the card around her tits jiggle.

Not bad. They should've gone with bigger tits though, it looks a bit weird at that size

Yeah, only a complete idiot would make a stand alone version of a mini game that was really popular with people. Clearly something wrong with them.

Gwent would've been funner if each card was some handmade villagers OC marysue.

Fuck it, it's not worth it.

maybe they do have print shops already.
and if not, maybe duplicating them by magic

You don't have to agree i did't click either one of thus and it worked.

What the fuck happened, honestly?

It gets chucked into the EULA which you must agree to during setup.

They ran out of old games. Hardly any old games get released on GOG anymore, and they only way to get some more modern stuff (even if it is no longer new) was to add a Steam-like client. As for CD Projekt, they want to be part of the cool industry club with its shiny graphics, clients, online crap and season passes, but at the same time they also want to keep keep the good will of gamers by making their games full of content and keeping the DLC packs few. It's a balancing act and sooner or later they will snap.

I don't mind beautiful women, but could we fucking stop pretending that a girl with the body structure of a modern day latte drinking college student could be a professional sword swinger?

Also, why does she wear so much makeup?

Kinda meh to be honest, jiggle physics in recent years have come much further, especially in nipland. Points for trying, I guess.