How much did CoD effect today's games?

I was wondering how much CoD has spread its cancerous tumor in other games. I really cant remember much about Dlc's before MW2 and Black ops. Those hitmarkers, bloody screens and the recharging health.

Other urls found in this thread:

supernerdland.com/m-m-m-monster-kill-the-death-of-the-arena-shooter/
archive.is/np28k
archive.is/9kUsD
steamcommunity.com/id/kafficko
steamcommunity.com/id/jesterheaded
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198011713698
twitter.com/AnonBabble

pretty much invented modern cinematic shooters
you never played the first cod.

I wonder if by the same faggot.

It, along with Halo, is the reason shooters became so popular. Same goes for regenerating health.
Cod4 had one map pack, which they eventually made free.
Mw2 had two, neither of which I bought and they both sucked.

No, it's my first bashing
cod bashing should always be done on a daily basis

If you call first CoD a cinematic shooter might as well call first HL a cinematic shooter too. Also HL2 had much, much more effect on video games than the first CoD could even hope for

Checked.
Cod popularized the genre for plebs to smear their shit into and spoiled devs with filthy money lowering the overall buyers standards.

Modern Warfare strongarmed both quake-style high mobility arena shooters as well as realistic military simulations off the market, including the style of gameplay that early Call of Duty titles had pioneered. Overall, the series has left less of a legacy and more of a stain on the industry.

I'd say most people here have played the first CoD if only because it's a decent game on its own and I'm sure a lot of the people that care about the genre wanted to see what baby Hitler looked like, in a sense.

half-life did this, unless you somehow forgot the painfully linear level design or forced twenty minute non-combat "introduction" where you "absorb the atmosphere". at the very least in cod you're shooting a man within four minutes

cod did however spread several kinds of cancer: progression in multiplayer (gating the cooler weapons/abilities behind an xp wall), shitty map design encouraging either long-range camping or sprintan hipfiran fuck strategy let's just shoot SMGs while running at sanic speed, killstreak rewards etc

You know how every AAA game is the same blurry Stealth/Shooter/RPG hybrid?
You know how for a while every game had to be an action packed Michael Bay cringefest?
You know how every big AAA shooter is a console shooter?
You can thank CoD for that and you can thank modern shooters being dead thanks to it.

A shame too because until this 6 hour long turd bucket I used to really like the franchise.

Okay, this is a witch hunt thread.

Neither did you apparently because COD 1 had none of that.

It wasn't actually HL2 that invented the corridor talking heads shit, that was Halo.

Well you can't just blame CoD alone for fucking over games in general. For example you have Starcraft which is blamed for killing the RTS genre and Warcraft which is blamed for killing off MMO's. The real people at fault are literally the accountants, who have no fucking idea about the product they are selling. They just see "X" product is making so much money so tell the devs to go make that since they believe it will make them money. They don't understand that vidya games don't work like that. If you copy something else people will very rarely want to play your game since why play the inferiour clone of a better game?

Also:

It's not my fault stupid people get put in positions of power all the time

It popularized a generation of aim-down-sights, grimdark games with regenerating health that pretended to be hardcore tactical shooters but actually had the depth of a phone game. It was a plague on the industry that was omnipresent for about five years. Embed related.

Not much seemingly.
It feels like TF2 had more of an impact seeing as games like Overwatch are exploding in popularity.

Do you mean CoD as a whole or just CoD 2-4 and later? Many have not played the first game and it's a different experience entirely as this nigger points out. I'd personally say Medal of Honor: Allied Assault was at least as influential as CoD 1 though but then CoD 1 was a spiritual successor to MoH:AA from many of the same devs.

It didn't invent too much, but it combined and popularized existing obscure shitty mechanics, marketing and design that should have been buried and never brought back.

(1)
It was HL1, actually.
But yeah, CoD was never good, pre MW CoD games were just shallow although not heavily shilled.

It killed Arena FPS"s. People blame halo, but this ignores that:

1. Halo came out in 2001, yet Quake and UT games came out well after this: Quake 4 in 2005 and UT3 in 2007
2. Halo itself is an arena shooter.

They only truly stopped after Mw1 came out in late 2007. Not only did it kill arena shooters and make loadout based """realistic"""" shooters popular, it started Halo's slow decline as well

is there more to that pic?

But they are.

And shooting too, modern shooters almost completely lack shooting.

Do not fall into the shadman well

wew lad

There is nothing wrong with regenerating health. All it does is remove tedium. In a health kit based shoot if you fucked up, you quick saved/loaded. How is that a better system?

Half-Life, Halo, and CoD all are responsible for the death of Arena shooters.
supernerdland.com/m-m-m-monster-kill-the-death-of-the-arena-shooter/

Underageb&, please leave.
Regenerating health removes an element of strategy, and allows players to do just poorly enough to survive an encounter, yet doesn't punish them or encourage them to develop more skill. Persistent health rewards skill and discourages mistakes. It also creates tense moments when you have to engage in a difficult fight with low health or few health kits.
Now kill yourself.

archive.is/np28k
Something everybody ignores is that arena shooters were only truly popular between the years 1996 to 2001.They weren't a very long lived genre.
If anything, the first Half-Life was more or less a continuation of old-school FPS games from the early 90's.

It's more about them not being there and not knowing any nbetter.

Arena shooters were already past their heyday by the time those were released. Their popularity peaked in the late 90's.

That reminds me. As I pointed out in the James Bond, Goldeneye was actually a curse upon gaming more than a blessing. After seeing his kid playing it, Spielberg was then inspired to go on and make Medal of Honor. From the same setting, the Call of Duty emerged, and so on, and so on.

AFAIK, no one gave a shit about it once Halo came out, and that's not counting the dozens of other shooters that had "Fun multiplayer" as well. Goldeneye just gets attention for being the first console FPS to get multiplayer right.

Goldeneye gets a lot of attention because it was the first proper FPS a lot of console Nintendo only kids played.
It wasn't even the best of its era, there were way better FPS games on the PSX and PC, but those who only owned an N64 never played them.
Same reason Hexen gets so much attention despite being so mediocre.

MW2 was the best and only good cod game. they managed to make the game play smooth and the maps had finest atmosphere.

it had some flaws like the host bs and all dlc after the first one were trash

Zombies is and always will be the best feature call of duty had to offer.

CoD basically brought "everyone is a winner" mentality to video games while disguising itself as a "hardcore" experience. This eventually lead to games like Overwatch, where even the losing, shitty players can sometimes be rewarded because they waited for their super meter to fill up. Also, it popularised loadouts, shitty DLC that only adds a couple of maps and skins, and hit markers.

CoD is honestly fine as a console series, but it's really bad when the ideas and focuses of such a game get forced onto other platforms.

BLOPS sucked. The guns sounded awful, the maps had no flow, the killstreaks weren't fun.

Don't you love it when cowards don't stick around to defend their opinions?
The first CoD didn't have a big influence, it wasn't until MW1 that it started seriously affecting the industry, HL2 on the otherhand had a big impact almost immediately.

The first few games were pretty boring compared to the games that came before them like Quake and Doom.
The later games were cancer that harmed the industry for years. I don't care if it was the first online FPS you ever played like it was for a lot of kids now, doesn't mean it's good.

What part of "zombies is the only good part of CoD" did you not understand?

I thought zombies had online features?
Granted I haven't played a CoD game since 2007 so I don't have the most recent memories of it.

Started the end. When mw2 hot released EA said they would never sell dlc, but look how that turned out.

Zombies does, but it's co op not pvp. It's also good, unlike pvp. Also playing with random people on zombies is the most horrid experience.

Multiplayer was the downfall of video games, reducing it to a virtual game of tag and team tag capture the flag. You don't have to do anything but shoot to kill and instant gratification. It pretty much killed single player and story telling at the AAA level. Pumped out yearly and season pass assured.

Halo for some reason brought about the bros who would likely not play as much games. Cliffy B's and Jaffe's homo erotic undertones failed to lure in what the bros really wanted, multiplayer instant gratification. It was all about the dew and Doritos and virtual high fives in a safer digital world without 9/11 to remind them of the endtimes we all should be facing.

At least Halo didn't water down things as much as COD did.

The two-weapon limit fucked things up by spreading to most shooters.
Also, Halo 2 had regenerating health, and was at least as responsible as CoD for its rise.
That said, it still had some depth, given that there were both hitscan and projectile weapons, vehicles, boarding, powerups, etc.

doom ruined the fps genre

zombies are the top most shittiest part about cod. lucky there was no zombie bs in MW2. overall zombies are for kiddies like all this retards who play h1z1.
people who like playing zombie related games statistically have low iq and can be describes as brainless. i think they feel comfortable with zombies because they are under their own.

Has shadman made art of the penguin and the waifu?

If only you knew the zombies storyline before BLOPS 3

see

This article has no idea what it's talking about in terms of it's complaints about the Halo games. Halo's map design is way closer to the left in that example image and it's not anywhere near that dialog heavy or directed.

How fucking old are you?

Both shit games that shat on the legacy from their predecessors and arena shooters in general, and achieved no where near the player base of Q3 or UT99/2004

CoD4 is probably one of the most influential games released since Doom. It more or less killed the WW2 shooter. In addition, it has defined online multiplayer for modern fps titles.

Isn't CoD the most popular westaboo game in Nihon?

This is true

You should probably ask the Japs for that one

archive.is/9kUsD
Did you guys already forget what happened back then? Activision removed modding and dedicated servers and decided to add a shit load of dlc to their game.

This was such a horrible thing back then, all the other devs like DICE said that they would never do something like this. But then they saw that CoD sells better than ever so everyone decided to go along.

Then they went even further and decided to add micro transactions, which Valve pushed to the limit. But it's CoD fault we have full priced game with dlc and all the other trash.

Do you guys not even remember that weird ass parody DICE made back then?

Duty Calls was DICE?

Duty Calls had nothing to do with DICE. That was done by the bulletstorm guys, not battlefield.

how fucking wrong can you be?

the maps in bc2, the "free dlc" (except the (((dlc))) """"""expansion"""""' vietnam) were all fucking existing maps with mcoms or capture zones replacing them. Half the fucking maps weren't even designed for it. They put in BC1 maps and used maps from the fucking single player. All the "dlc" maps were fucking shit too. None of them were built for the kind of game play they were forced into and it showed.

They also lied about releasing an SDK, going on to say how "frostbite is just too complex!" nigger, people still use dromED. Then, hilariously, the need for speed devs went on to say because the frostbite tools were so good and so easy, making a racing game in a shooter engine was simple.

DICE is pretty fucking cancerous and has been pretty much since BC2. Fuck you for defending them you shit eater.

you haven't played any cinematic shooters if you think they have more in common with hl2 than fucking cod.

apparently not if they think hl2 is more to blame.

hl1 is even more far removed from modern cinematic shooters you fucking dunce. A handful of scripted events is far different from the set piece first design most every shooter of the last and current genertion boasted. HL2 did nothing like this and more often than not resorted to gimmick level design like sand traps physics faggotry you fucking retard kill yourself you fuck

-t. faggot who never played cod1
go and beat the game and come back you retard.
fucking lol kys dumbass

you are a retard if you think hl1 is more influential than cod since every cinematic shooter apes cod and I can think of only one since 2004 that directly named hl2 as an influence - homefront. kys

I'm back bitch and you can't defend shit. prove hl2's impact. name me a dozen fucking shooters I'll name you 60 for cod.

Where did I defend them? I just said that announcing these things activision did back then was so shocking that people spoke up against it. Today it is standard practice and all AAA games do it.

But just look at DICE, they totally shut up about DLC because they know they are just as bad as Activision is.

POO IN THE LOO?

I used to hate Shadman too, but his art grew on me.

Guess I have to post this now.

zombies are the top most shittiest part about cod. lucky there was no zombie bs in MW2. overall zombies are for kiddies like all this retards who play h1z1.
Fuck off back to 4chan, you're a literal CoD kiddy retard.

Custom zombies in WaW is the only good thing to come since Der Reise.

How about you thank the retards that willing buy this garbage? This shit wouldn't exist if people weren't so willing to spend money on trash.

Can we talk about how Persona made waifu pandering and high school settings popular in Japanese vidya?

I guess if you like hiding in a corner shooting at mindless drones it could be fun, but I wouldn't call it good. Why even bother with it when games like L4D exist?

l4d is worse than cod zombies

2008-2012 were dark times for the FPS genre.

Left 4 Dead beats everything

I didn't even play that much pvp on l4d2, but seeing smoker waste his attack so the charger has a easier kill is faggish

Waste? He removes one player from the game, that's a huge win and turns the game around. What else should the smoker do? Grab a random player and be killed within seconds? Left 4 Dead is all about instant kills.

I think i only looked up at the first 3 or 4 kills in the vid before turning it off.
I only saw insta kills at the most obvious places, which the charger doesnt need the junky as a support. The smoker also could have thrown one unto the ledge so the charger could do some bowling strike with the other survivors.

That only works if you play against total noobs, you can one shot the charger with a t2 shotgun or a katana, and both of the mare very common on no mercy rooftop.

Left 4 Dead 2's multiplayer is extremely high skilled for totally autistic people.

Like just look at these guys
steamcommunity.com/id/kafficko 3k hours
steamcommunity.com/id/jesterheaded 2k hours
steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198011713698 this guy has almost 5k hours in Left 4 Dead 2

This shit game is not easy at all, I would even say it is one of the best first person shooters you can get for pc.

You can't pull shit like this on experienced players. A smoker dies before he can pull you off unless you have a boomer.

First, we need a short list of things that CoD made popular
>significantly increased cinematic bullshit, introduction of the classic lock-to-walk mode for exposition HL2 at least let you run around in the room while you were being exposited to
>multiplayer level and challenge grind locking bullshit
I suspect I'm missing a couple things, but all of the above are still present, some only in AAA FPS, others metastasizing into other genres.

or - which would be in my case, have a decent team for a change which can help you with distract, or use your noobish team etc.
You couldn't pull this shit with good players either.
Never said that.
True, i've spend hours in it.

is that guy a Holla Forumstard?

I really hate the prestige system, all you get is a banner and a special icon. I will never understand how people can go to max prestige (that's usually more than 10 times if I'm not mistaken).
There are people who go to max prestige on every CoD game, that's insane.

Boring, repetive and steep down, CoD influenced so much on other today that their are only one-two effective ways to play the FPS genre even in the recent CoD games despite new addition.

COD4 made console shooters have to include multiplayer. The amount of people playing multiplayer on console during the heyday of FPS is still unmatched. COD 4 and Halo 3 saved the Xbox 360 from being a shitty system. 360 was the underdog going into the 7th gen, and was the champion for a while of gaming. COD 4 sold systems like no other game I've seen, save Mario or Zelda. Also, considering COD changed so much about the FPS genre, it had a pretty big effect on todays games.

the only cod i ever played was MW2 and only approximately for a month.

i also think you a are a rat because: zombies = 4chan

Halo was the sickness that killed shooters and CoD is the guy raping the corpses.

360 secured dominance really early on and it wasn't clear until just a few years ago that the ps3 ended up edging over it in sales.

Shooters were always popular.

It's a hunter not a charger, the hunter can very rarely instant kill someone by himself but most of the time it needs to be set-up with a smoker. Most of the instant kills in that video work on L4D1 and L4D2. In L4D1 the Smoker/Hunter combo was really the only way to obtain them outside of using a tank or getting very lucky with a boomer proxy blast.

There are no instances in the video of a charger getting any kills with support, you're mixing up SIs again. As for places begin obvious; maybe so but they still can't avoid them due to good teamwork. In that particular spot the smoker didn't try to ledge hang them because there are a bunch of things that can stop it

Instead, he went for his best option. One that provided cover, set a survivor up for a instant kill via hunter pounce, and put a survivor in a spot where even if he were freed someone would have to jump up to get him. Which would still allow an instant kill with the hunter if he managed to stumble someone off the building.

Those guys are still considered noobs. Most true autistic players refuse to play with anyone that has less than 10,000 hours.

by "forcing" everyone to make poor attempts at stealing their audience?

don't tell him that, he was about to go on a PC cuckold rant about how consoles ruined gaming or something.

i worded it poorly but im agreeing with you.

If anything Action Quake heralded the death of arena shooters. Then the original Counterstrike, and then, believe it or not the likes of the original ARMA/OFP.

They were the harbingers of the death of arena shooters. It was during that time that all you could see was the after-image of what they were as if you were to view something crossing the event horizon of a black hole.

its almost like arena shooters were as much a fad

Additionally, by the time Action Quake came out, I was thoroughly tired of vanilla Quake's mechanics, rocket jumping, grenade jumping, etc.

The higher stakes involved with AQ meant that jumping large distances was a gamble, you had to bandage your wounds, leg injuries could mean the difference between success and failure.

In general once you had Quake 2's mechanics down, you could make so many boneheaded decisions so long as you had some level of ability that it really wasn't much of a challenge unless you met somebody at your skill level.

Whereas with AQ and the like, the weapons themselves were lethal regardless and you had to think about what you were going to do.

Granted, the reason why it worked with AQ is because you were playing a quasi-realistic game in what essentially amounted to arena shooter environments.

We've seen how boring and monotonous that style of gameplay can become when the levels are retooled to filter players into a perpetual meat grinder where that sort of "problem solving" is dumbed down to the point where any idiot can figure out what to do or not do.

Most people have private profiles, I went through my friends list and most of the 5k people have it set to private or friends only. But beside that, I never saw someone with 10k hours.

Anyway, the videos I shared are not even good plays, those are the best I could find. If one of you has a good l4d video feel free to share. Most people that own Left 4 Dead stick to the coop part and totally miss the multiplayer part.

More like that was the time normalfags started to ruin gaming.

No and I hope he doesn't. It doesn't seem like his type of news anyway.