Grandia

I've been enjoying Grandia for the most part, but when does this game start picking up? Everything I've heard about it makes me think that it's almost exactly what I'm looking for in a JRPG right now, yet strangely enough, nothing about it is really keeping me coming back for more. I haven't even touched it in at least two weeks. Do things get a little more interesting after Rangle Mountains?

Other urls found in this thread:

grandia.wikia.com/wiki/Grandia_ReDux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes, things get more interesting after the mountains. It's been a long time since I played it so I don't remember how much longer in approximate hours it is but the game really ramps up in about two or three more zones.

That's before The End of the World, right? Stuff picks up after the game deals with that.

Okay, good to know. Not sure what about the first few hours wasn't doing it for me, but I guess it doesn't really matter if it's gonna pick up soon.

I'm basically done with this thread, so Grandia general, I guess.

Frankly I wouldn't really say it picks up until after you cross the sea of mermaids. It's not until then that you start to learn what is actually going on. Up to that point are just playing at adventure and solving the occasional local problem.

No sweat, from what I recall the opening few areas drag a bunch and there's long stretches of just walking around towns talking to people. The only reason I ever tried it out was because I had a demo disc with it on it when I was real young which I played the shit out of since it was all I could get and the combat system was pretty fun, then I found it used and wanted to see where the game went. Sadly I never managed to finish it since the second CD was kind of fucked up and I ended up losing like two hours of progress and with it my desire to continue.
One of these days maybe I'll emulate it and try again.

I played this on PS1 and was backing up my save files and accidentally deleted my Grandia save file instead.
I'd just gotten to the point where you get the fourth party member (the buff guy) and we were at the edge of the world or something. I never had the patience to get that far again.
Sucks because I really enjoyed it, and the battle system was awesome. Being able to hit people so hard it set their turns back so you could juggle them felt so fucking good.

It comes down to what "picks up" means. I liked the bits where Justin actually got to do what he was dreaming about, running around being an adventurer and so on. When shit started happening that was fine but it worked because the story had given us some lighter fare first.

You'd might enjoy the EP/DP system in Wild Arms 5. If you know what you're doing/have the right set up, you can push back your opponents' turns. Though, they can do the same to you if memory serves.

18+ just grow older and you'll love it!

I preferred the second game.

It's garbage compared to the first.

In what way?

t. faggot

You're garbage, Grandia II is fucking awesome.

Grandia 2 is literally a darker and edgier adaptation of the first game. Same underlying plot, major events, symbolism etc. While I do like the fact it is much quicker to the point it is still obviously derivative.

Yeah, but it's also improved in every way, especially soundtrack. It's events are more impactful too. I had tears in my eyes when Mareg and eye of valmar girl died, though the second didn't really die

weeb humor is worst humor

Played it the first time although comfy as fuck is too easy.

grandia.wikia.com/wiki/Grandia_ReDux

This makes it harder but it rebalances the game so useless spells are useful; characters like sue aren't useless anymore and strategy is required against bosses.

There are videos on youtube for those who are curious but I like it though it takes getting used too from grandia vanilla.

There is a grandia 2 hardtype for pc grandia 2 both original and anniversary edition which I already got but I hear it's harder than redux so I'm beating redux first.

I stopped just after getting over the wall. The story was getting old and was going too slow, the dungeon crawling and combat was getting repetitive. Should I pick back up or no? I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Oh yeah, I liked the cheery cast and go-get-em attitude, but the weeb humor fucked it up a little bit. Do Justin and Feena do anything the whole game or is it lolupervert joekz the whole way through?

The battle system and music is better in the second game though. I'm ok with this, calling it a bad game is also calling the first one a bad game in turn since they're more of the same deal but the second installment modernizes some elements.

t.person who loved grandia series so much he imported 3

they kiss and get married and have kids together

Goddammit Grandia is so heartwarming. Maybe I'll get back to it soon.

I remember hearing bad things about 2. Why play it instead of 1, if you had to choose between the two?

There's nothing bad about 2. I'd play it instead of 1 because it's more polished and the music is better, like many said. If you never played the first game you wouldn't have any idea the second isn't as good either so you can stay oblivious and have fun. Not the case with 3, as 3 is a bad game.

I wonder if anyone's ever made a PSP eboot conversion of the romhacked PS1 original.

I haven't seen any.
Best I got is playing it on emulator on my phone.

Good one god, good one.

I haven't seen any premade ones either (and with my computer being a toaster I'm not sure I can get the converter program to work myself. I suppose all such a thing would need would be someone to patch the PS1 ISOs (has to be done before converting an eboot, from what I've read on how it works) run a conversion with both discs (a finished eboot has native disc swapping functionality), and then upload it somewhere. The only romhacked (or perhaps, ISOhacked) PS1 games I've seen get the eboot-conversion-and-upload treatment have been for fan-translations (where you need them patched to even understand them, and content is generally left alone aside from text), but then agai,n most sites to download games from tend to just have either officiallly release roms or ISOs, or prepatched fan-translations (and some of those can take a damn long time to get put up on them).

Perhaps I'll have to hit up the share thread sometime, see if someone can convert and upload it for me (and anyone else possibly interested in playing the ReDux hack via CFW PSP, given how those are such easy piracy devices).

This

They promised to port 1 if the sales were good.

Where is it

you are better off playing both of them on emulators anyway. That way you can fast forward through the spell animations, since they are unskippable

If 3 had stuck with Xtreme's party, skill, and magic systems it might have been a fun game even with the garbage plot. They really killed the freedom in the character progression though.

Fag

It's weird how all of this sort of lewd teasing and references to boobs and panties stayed in but they changed booze to coffee.

Anyway, does anyone have proof of the old statement that the Saturn original ran better?

Not improved in every way. Granted, soundtracks were fucking beautiful and the gameplay is streamlined to a fine high-performance level. The story was lacking, however, the voice acting was campy, and quite frankly other games did the "church is evil" angle better before Grandia II came along. Mareg was possibly the only wham moment I cared about—you weren't given much time to actually care about the game's several dozen other plot progression victims.

Even Alundra did that much better. At sacrifice to no true world exploration, it placed you in a village with caring characters and you basically watched them go fuck-raving mad and die one by one. And then they deliberately murdered Teh Rei after you got really acquainted with her.

Grandia II was still incredibly fun, though.

Both Grandia titles were lacking on sidequests, too. But I actually prefer the fuck-hard tower of whichamacallit in G1 to G2's garden moon bits. But that's just preference arguing.

If you're talking about the English dub, nigger you're fucking high. 2's dub was far better than the trash dub of Grandia 1. It was basically the entire cast of MGS minus Hayter.

emuniggers are so uncultured

play the superior saturn version