What is going on with Atlus nowadays?

Other than mainline Etrian Odyssey is there any hope for this company? I doubt SMT V or the Strange Journey remake will be any good considering the power of friendship bullshit with the latest SMT game.

Other urls found in this thread:

gematsu.com/2017/03/etrian-mystery-dungeon-2-announced-3ds
archive.is/sN1DC
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

well as EO5 is never ever coming to the west as it's been out for roughly a year with absolutely no news on it ever being translated by atlas.

No there is no hope

Not only that. They added a Marie on the Radiant Historia remake as well as the Strange Journey remake.
2017 is the year of the cashgrab remakes.

It's like they hate money or something.

It's probably gonna get announced at E3 with a fall release.

IT'S GARBAGE AND I HATE IT.

Apparently the owl demon that accompanies her has the power to make people get along or something. At this rate I don't want Atlus touching it's older games ever.

I sure hope so.

And that will probably end up in a power-of-friendship ending where both zelenin and jimenez end up being 'saved'. It's gonna be utter garbage. As if ruining the art and using those shitty smt4 demons wasn't bad enough.
The Radiant Historia gal (they also ruin the art to make everything more moe for the fucking otaku who can't stop jerking off on their phallic pillows for just one day) will have her own scenario (3 stories instead of the original 2)

On the bright side, Atlus US picked up Utawarerumono 2/3 for localization so they have that going for them.

THere is no way that is not going to feel forced as fuck. Both of them are beyond saving once they stop being human. Both of the are dead by that point. The way to honor them is to kill the demons that look like them, the Jimenez we knew was long goneā€¦

The only one who's really gone is Zelenin. Jimenez stays the same guy you knew all along. His morality is warped because he develops a sense of empathy for demons while losing his empathy for humans. Zelenin on the other hand is mind-wiped by Mastema.

Adding a new character from nowhere to the writing never works. They should just add more dialogue and backstory to undeveloped characters. In Persona 4G this was pretty obvious, Marie fell shoehorned everywhere, but the additions to Adachi's character, including the ending where you ally with him where nice.

Anyone remember when Cuck-chan thought that Nintendo would purchase Atlus?

Persona Q was a 3ds game because it was practically an EO reskin, every persona game has been released on a sony console, what were they thinking?

Cuckchan was Nintendogaf.

I remember it still having a spread of Nintendo, Sony, and Valve dicksucking by the time we left.

This.
Don't forget that at some point Sega bought Atlus' parent company. Might help explain some of the fuckups.

i don't care. i genuinely don't care. they can add all of the shitty feminist characters and horribly cliche garbage they want. i'd still buy them, if they were actually difficult. but they're not, they're easy babby games that should be released on the phone instead.

atlus died in 2009 as far as i'm concerned. the original strange journey was easy as fuck too, and now they're going to make it even easier. can't wait.

thats OK, persona Q was a shit spinoff. it deserves to be locked away in a shitty handheld full of shovelware and other casual trash.

tbh the only good thing atlus does now is persona, 4 golden was a straight improvement over base 4 and 5 is indisputably GOTY 2017.

I thought all you waifu people loved that company?

MegaTen is fucked because the best director/producer they had is no longer there, and their best artist seems to be doing nothing anymore (besides probably supervision).

Dude there are 2 more EO games in the pipeline right now (EOU3 and PQ2), it's definitely coming west.

mother of christ can't they just fuck off from the SMT/Persona series with this rehashed tile-based dungeon crawling crap? keep that shit to EO

The first five SMT games are tile based dungeon crawlers, as was Persona 1. Persona Q was literally the Snow Queen's Quest but on a better engine.

loved, past-tense. and previously only their persona franchise had "waifus", not every fucking game.
by the way, persona is a piece of shit and always has been.

Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment are the two best written games in the entirety of MT. Mechanically, they have a lot of great ideas too (like how the turn order system worked and command inputs could be toggled at will to persist or only last one round). It had a lot of modern attempts at mitigating grinding before that was even a generally accepted practice.

Too bad with all the nice stuff it's another episode of Atlas made Dex(Tec) too fucking strong
But is there any MT game where you actually have to grind though, getting more demons / Personas always outclasses level number in what to do with your time?

I'm thinking more about how the actually battle system works (you can set and leave a set of commands and let it auto-grind). The cheapest fucking thing in the game is to grind infinite somas from Indra or grind any persona to rank 8 by just chucking Dia on them and going and fighting a lvl 1 enemy til your SP runs out.

In the first megaten I couldn't fuse a damn thing. I always had enough level to face the enemies without grinding, but the fusions required very high levels. 95% of the demons I used in that game were recruited.

Yeah I mean you have an easy way to grind or set auto battles on a helmet party but do you ever really need to do it for grinding in the game. Innocent sin on it's own literally hands you all you need for the game so even fusing in that game is a optional thing.

I really liked in the old games demons never leveled so it assured you'd always have demons the right level for the area simply by recruiting.

I actually like fusing, so it was great that they added the "inherit skills through fusion" system, this made fusion useful with all the possible combinations of skills and resistances.

Fusing doesn't even exist in Innocent Sin, you purchase Personas from Igor using tarot cards. But yeah, given how mutations work (random chance to add add stats [which can be done until they are maxed] to a Persona who ends a battle in a fusion spell), letting you roll through the majority of the game with a single set of Personas, especially in IS, where every starter Persona gets a Custom Form a quarter through that is generally amazing, or in Hel in both games, who gets 6/9 elements naturally, 7/9 if you add a proper card, so can participate in the vast majority of fusion spells, and thus stays with the party from level 21 to the final dungeon in both games.

Feels bad man. EO's presence has enabled the MegaTen team to sell out and abandon tile dungeons. They never should have let this happen.

that map is so simple it hurts, it's the whole game like that?

disagree, casualization is what made them do this.
etrian odyssey isn't quite at that level of casual yet but it will be very soon.

That's one of maybe five dungeons. The rest of the game is just desolate square city blocks with some levels.

That picture is a bit misleading since it is literally the first dungeon in the game, some of them got pretty complicated despite not being tile-based like Strange Journey

I'm hoping Apocalypse will end up standing alone come future installments, admittedly I enjoyed the game but holy shit it should not have had the SMT name on it. Literally nothing about apocalypse aside from the demons gave a familiar experience. The way the story was delivered, its overall tone, the characters involved, the moral ambiguity, the way the story and characters developed, the difficulty, pretty much nothing in Apocalypse was anything like previous SMT installments including SMT 4 which it's supposed to be a direct fucking sequel to.

Not really. The final dungeons are incredibly simple. They tried to "remedy" this by making YHWH space in 4A the biggest and most pointless dungeon of all time.

Which, if I recall correctly, is pic related in your post.

Giving it some more thought even some of the more annoying dungeons in the previous installments didn't come too close to being as unnecessarily long. Eridanus in Strange Journey was long and had its gimmics but wasn't as much of a shitfest in terms of pure grind, and at least that diverged from one mechanic for the whole dungeon, granted the tile-based exploration is a lot better for making dungeon-based mechanics than complete freedom of movement but regardless.
I can't remember the other dungeons in SMT4:A names or else I would refresh my memory on them, if they really were that simple I was probably just judging them by most recent memory, being YHVH's dungeon.

4A holds itself together a little better at the beginning because of the tweaks they made to the battle system (praise MAGAON), but at the end it becomes even more retardedly broken than the first installment, I'm convinced YHWH can't be beaten on Hard without the level cap removal DLC (which was free, but still shit design).
I do appreciate that the Divine Powers were all hardcore aryanist gods, though (Odin, Krishna and Mithra), and thus have the highest of beefs with (((YHWH))), and some of the demon designs were cool, as well as Toki and Dagda, who were bros.

Is that what pic related is trying to prove or what because that's the most basic looking thing, only challenge navigating would be fucking up on 2ndE for the first time around and having to loop back but that's wasting time more then being something complex to traverse.

Reminder YHVH had to be damage capped to avoid you killing him faster then he can spout dialogue

At first I appreciated some of the tweaks they made and some of the polish they gave to the formula that they established in SMT4, but as I progressed I slowly came to realize just how different of a game they had truly made it. I think some of the Persona comparisons I saw made in this thread are pretty accurate. Not necessarily in how broken it ended up but even just down to something as enigmatic as "how it felt to play the game."
What the fuck
Other than the tweaked mechanics the addition of the party might actually be the element that contributed most to the game feeling so much different than every other SMT game, not that Dagda was necessarily a "party member." I honestly didn't even have a problem with most of the party, but goddamn when you add in the quintessential JRPG party like that completely change some of the defining features of an SMT game.

Bravo, Atlus.

I didn't even use Toki, I just liked her design and writing (let's get the loli pregnant with infinite babies) Navarre is the only one you can trust to not fuck you over constantly.

He can be beaten on hard but because of the wack way it works you can stuck in situations where you're simply fucked due to not thinking it through and it's painful because you're immediately aware when the situation arises when the game is lost.
For context here is the turn order. (YHVH has 3 press turns)
Party B is like a party of "shitty support" characters (can be the Samurai from 4, or Flynn + Satan and the like) who screw up your chances by pretty much offering YHVH chances to freely buff himself or set up to fuck up Party A without a real counter due to their skill lists so if YHVH goes +3 with stats (Which can happen instantly as part of a plot segment at the start of his turn or later when he uses a skill that offers it to him + smirk leading into party B's turn who can't do shit). he can do skills that hit for the 4 main elements + pierce and you're fucked because the game wanted to change the formula for the final fight made it so you're put in situations where you know you're fucked because I he's +3 everything with skirk and I'm instead of using your demons with Dekaja to save you from the situation you can only hope something like Walter using deliberate is going to work (And YHVH's lol you lose 3 press turns randomly) skill isn't in effect.
The fight is awfully designed from being damage capped punishing players who mini maxed their characters in a game only ran by DPS stats, a party you've never used or had influence in stats or skills of being forced to have a turn before your party takes a hit when they don't have the tools to set you up to survive the turn in all situations and finally just being a lame fight without party B fucking you up possibly killing you on hard due to inflated damage.

Due to atlas not thinking the fight through *

you keep spreading this lie either out of ignorance or malice so im going to correct the record here. the fight has 2 forms with the first form which is not the real fight with the second form being the real fight. you are not only trying to kill him but use observation and denying his divinity so by denying his words you take away his power until the second phase of the fight which has no damage capping or talking

party B is important because flyn can use godslayer sword to not only count as hitting a weakness but make yhvh have a weakness to a random resistance and they can also get rid of yhvh's +3 and smirk status

Yeah but it's still balanced like shit on Hard and can lead to him doing full buffs and full party kills on the same turn.

It's still shit that it has damage gates at all. Especially with B being such a non dangerous form he dies in 2 hits if you aren't retarded or fell for the magic meme

Except even plot wise that's bullshit since the whole thing in the fight is you're proving through beating on him he's not something special, he's just the demon who happened to have the power to rise above and make the narrative that he's something more.
Except it does, when he "Resists" something the damage is gated off, example would be using Trisagion (Severe fire damage + pierce) with 500 magic on my character it deals 400 damage (With these stats and pierce removing resistance it should be 1000-1200 at +0power vs -0Defense) but with Godslayer active suddenly my damage spikes to 3000.
Wow, I'm so glad this ripped off a Chrono Trigger Boss Gimmick (Muramasa on Magus) to justify this shitty second party putting me in harms way and make my characters build functional. Good job Atlas bravo you sure did some good design here copying a fake out final boss for your legitimate one.
Incorrect, Flynn when using God Slayer has a chance of removing smirk (implying he'll hit vs +3 Agility because if he misses you're fucked + he can also make the entire party -3all stats at the start) and the only method of dropping stats would be Walter with Diliberate (Who in turn order is 4th so you'll most likely get him to -2 in a best case until you crit with both Walter and Isabeau which surprise Walter loses the MP to do this stupidly fast, turns out DPS shouldn't be in charge of stat manipulation)
Also worth noting the only supply of buffs and healing on Party B has 700 HP which on hard is almost ensured to be shredded up if YHVH attacks twice on hard

They're shit now, but they were pretty good before the acquisition.
Persona 5 while above the 3/4 is still shit tier as well.
Don't tell that to their circlejerk general and the GamerGate autists though, the SJW cuck clique hated the arguably pretty shitty translation because it wasn't done by them, so if you shit on the game you're an SJW cuck/goon.

Yeah, the entire thing stinks of industry insiders attempting to use the userbase of Holla Forums one way or another. It's not like we don't already have translators transparently shilling, as you can always see in the XSEED advertisment Falcom threads.

It already was with the Untolds but they redeemed themselves with EOV for now.

At least Falcom games are actually good and decently translated when Xseed doesn't fuck up

Gee I wonder. Its almost like all the talent left and was replaced by otaku moefags who try to push everything closer to the moe genre.

So they are basically trying to pander to the typical 8/v/irgin.

You mean pander to anyone who isn't from Holla Forums. Pander to people who don't want to play videogames.

If you saw that super sentai in the teaser then yeah you know it will.

What if they learned their lesson from P5 and have it be entirely about seducing ara mother goddesses?

That's still waifu pandering.

So what? If it's done well, it's done well. It's not like SMT1's hook isn't a blatant dick tease, either.

I suppose. I think with Yuriko it fits considering who she really is.

There's nothing wrong with them though. They're optional and have cool unique classes. Plus it helps expands on the lore.

I just don't get what the fuck they intend to add to Radiant Historia, that shit its locked down tight, adding extra stuff is just going to screw with how it all ties up.

They're fucking dogshit, is what they are. It's a direct contradiction of their stated original intentions with the series to turn them into generic JRPGs. As for optional, maybe if they didn't keep locking shit to the story mode that the classic modes can't access. And classes? Guess what, chucklefuck? Remakes typically include new content, such as new classes. There was zero reason to lock the new classes to story mode.

Fucking retcon the lore you mean, you retard. The story mode stories are completely incompatible with the originals and/or classic mode stories. There's practically no new lore added either, that isn't related to the story mode characters which are essentially OC donut steels jammed into the world of EO, which had to be bent a bit to make them actually work.

That's not even touching on all the other shit story mode brought with it such as fucking up the gameplay (actually making use of that thirty man guild roster to have access to all the classes, a dedicated gathering party, separate builds of the same class and so on? fuck that).

Fuck off with your shit taste. If you want your typical JRPG, play one. Everything doesn't have to turn into the same gray sludge by trying to appeal to everyone. EO was good because it was a niche thing, but with the Untold series they went for the generic JRPG audience. It's no different than western devs trying to "appeal to a wider audience".

EO's lore was fine without the garbage story mode. It's called discovering what was going on in the games (usually by reading apocalyptic logs in dungeons), we didn't need shitty JRPG plots with awful characters. Thankfully they got the memo by continuing on with that style with EOV.

If you want a generic JRPG there are plenty of them like Persona.

filter this retard

i'm so sorry you wasted your time replying to a retard. he's atlus' new fanbase.
i remember when etrian odyssey first came out and people were so excited to have a game without a story, and they were posting quotes from the devs about how the story is supposed to be created by the player's imagination and that it was the only correct way to play dungeon crawlers.
how times have changed

Story-mode is optional. You are LITERALLY getting triggered by optional content. Let that sink in.

I should post this here to remind people what defines the series.

these pictures genuinely made me cry.

I can only imagine the extent you would go to support this. Like
Do you also defend DmC and say there is literally nothing wrong with it?

But DmC is hugely mechanically different from actual Devil May Cry. It's just a shitty bonus feature to justify their porting a game that's still available on the console.

Look I'll give you Untold 1 having a lot of bad ideas like locking most of the new content exclusive to Story Mode, but Untold 2 pretty much fixes all of that. The only thing that's locked is Fafnir Knight which is justified because it's an incredibly overpowered class.

etrian odyssey died when they added a difficulty setting. whatever story mode you want to defend so bad is a part of a piece of shit game that's dead on arrival to me anyway. fuck you retard

They made it even worse with the DLC though. Of course you can pirate it but it's still shitty.

Not to mention how some fo the games got censored.

Just play on Expert mode you literal retard.

Fair enough, I'll give you that much. I still think vanilla EO2U is better than the original 2 though.

How can he possibly have fun knowing that other people are having an easier time than he is?

EO4 did it wrong with babby mode/new player mode being the only choices but as long as there's a difficulty that's hard enough, like in Untold 1, I don't give a damn.

What exactly got censored again?

yeah how am i supposed to feel inclined to grind and try again on a boss fight when i know i can at any time change the difficulty?

Now we know what kind of player you are.

Do you also cheat on every game you can because you know the option is there, homoman? Why do you even need to grind in the first place?

post game content is literally impossible without grinding retard. creating new characters, grinding is required.
maybe not on the easy mode you play

The only reason you want to grind is for the final superboss and even then there are exceptions.

Buying anti-ailment equipment is too hard user.

Overcoming challenges is a fun part of videogames and it has nothing to do with how others play. If you don't understand this then your opinion on casualization is worthless. I don't understand what you are talking about at all.

Video games aren't fun user.

I share your opinion, video games are tools to sensitive train young minds.

But this is fun.

What they are then?

I dunno user, that looks like one of those disposaboo weebine games. TRANSLATE IT YOU FUCKING NIGGERS

An investment in Isreal's future

The same thing that happens to every dev that's ever been decent. They became shit.

Fucking hell, my taxes go to that already, give me a break.
If they don't announce it at e3 I will go balls deep at the JP version with my preschooler nip

I'm sure they will, given that PQ2 got trademarked and EOU3 is inevitable given how many 3DS remakes of DS games they are churning out, I can't see them skipping it, even if it means leaving in the jap voices.

We need to rely on meme magic so it can get localised. If meme magic can elect Trump I can't see why this wouldn't work.

Trying to manipulate chaos itself will only bite you in the ass in the long run.

So P5's milking has begun already, that was fast. I actually want a Persona 5 Arena

I want PQ2 to be a crossover of P2 and P5 that's set after both and, have lots of whacky cop drama with Tatsuya, Katsuya, Baofu and Ulala not approving of the thieves being thieves.

But order is traditionally regarded as having been created from formless chaos. It's the beginning of the vast majority of cosmogonies.

Have they given a reason of why they ignore P2's existence? Some kind of copyright fuckery with the designs?

In what fucking way is U2 better than Original 2.
Oh man I loved when enemies are hp walls like in U2, that really amps up the challenge when bosses have 280,000 hp, and I can use my BOOOST MOVE to completely discard the fight because they're imbalanced as fuck

No it's because P1 and P2 are simply to complete to add anything to in a meaingful way.

because p3 &4 proved waifu sims are more profitable, so they have a main game that gets you to build an emotional attachment to characters and then sell half assed spinoffs to appeal to people who like different types of games.
P1 & 2 wont get that treatment because the characters aren't built to become your waifu.
and the demographic that actually played those games is older now and less likely to buy spinoffs

Are you serious? Untold 2 has FAR superior class balance, bug fixes, tons of quality of life improvements, more content, and is objectively more refined overall. Only thing you could possibly argue in 2's favor is level design which is subjective anyways.
Yeah the final superboss you get via DLC has a ton of health who would've thought. But really though the HP bloat isn't that much of a issue considering not only your damage output is significantly higher than in the original 2, but the bosses with the ridiculous amounts of HP usually have traps around them you're suppose to utilize against them to get their HP down to a manageable level. Anyways I prefer that to EO2's bosses which had way too little HP and not enough defense to actually make up for it.
And Force wasn't broken in the original 2? Give me a break. Dominate, Riot Gun, and Painless were fucking absurdly overpowered and if you farmed Axcelas you could easily cheese every boss fight in the game.

Obviously not that.

Speaking of Persona games, who the fuck is going to direct them now that Hashino's stepping down? (Assuming he's not just bullshitting.)

Will it be Ishida? Wouldn't surprise me. He's probably itching to make another Jpop idol simulator.

Yeah I would have to farm axcelas to cheese bosses, not just hit the damn super move button watch my DPS rocket up by 20,000% and then 3 turn the boss.
also

In what fucking way, them cutting out swathes of maps to be resold as DLC?
That's a refined method

So is Atlus going to do dual audio in all of their games from now on? I'm kinda spoiled now.

I was considering playing P2 but the game is too expensive on PSN.

It's a PSX/PSP game. Just emulate it.

Whats so bad about smt 4? Smt fans seem to like I've yet to play it but everyone on here seems to hate it

First you complain the bosses take way too long to die and now you're complaining they die too quickly? Stop backpedaling.
Actually read my post first of all.

Pretty much everything. Starting from the most important to least, the mechanics are completely fucked from the go. First, there is no defense stat, so equipment just gives you more HP or elemental resistances, which means you will always be at risk of getting wiped, as enemy damage is flat across the game and doesn't reduce. Two, the addition of the smirk mechanic, which means you randomly get a chance of a super boost on your next skill/immunity from a weakness if you get an extra press turn means that random chance can completely fuck you over on the chance of an enemy crit. And it's not even that hard, the only truly difficult part is the first few hours, when you're denied the full breadth of the elements your demons can use. Third, the writing is awful. There are a bunch of Persona style "friend" NPCs that constantly follow you around, you have a fucking Cortana stand in constantly ordering you around and ruining any feeling of exploring a post-apocalyptic wasteland. 4A tries to patch some of this over with slightly better writing for most of it but fucks the mechanics over even harder and completely botches the landing (on the Bonds [PERSONAFRINEDSLOVE] route) but does manage a proper edgelord ending with the Dagda one, which was nice.

Also there are hardly any dungeons (most of the areas you explore are more or less identical city blocks with magical tree vines blocking some of the way until you've cut it from the other side) and the music is very bland. The world map is more or less unnavigable.

Too bad no matter what route you still have to sit through hours and hours of FRIENDSHIP IS POWER.
Not to mention a horrible final boss, a horrible final dungeon that has a 12 second music loop, and still horrible mechanics.

I liked story mode. But then again I like all of the Etrian games. DLC kikery can fuck right off though.

I found out too late that you're supposed to let that bitch die in the sewers on the first run, otherwise you get cucked out of 100% completion. Fuck Radiant Historia, it deserves to die for that alone.

Both are coming out. They just announced EMD2, and PQ2 and EOU3 are in the pipeline for 2018.

Please elaborate.

I certainly hope there isn't an EO3U. Let the EO devs move on to mainline. There are other RPGs if you want a traditional JRPG story.

There's supposedly 2 teams, one devoted to making remakes, and one making mainline

Well if that's the case, hopefully no more intrusive DLC.

Source?

PQ2/EOU3 is from trademarking
gematsu.com/2017/03/etrian-mystery-dungeon-2-announced-3ds

archive.is/sN1DC

All I can find is PQ2 trademarking. Knowing Atlus and their Persona milking they will probably make it at some point.