Component AV + HDMI support?

Playstation 2 user here, still collecting games for it and nothing beats the real deal. Fuck emulators.

I play on a wide Samsung LCD HD flatscreen, using a Component AV cable. This usually provides better scaling and image quality up to 1080 but can I benefit even more if I use a Component to HDTV converter like in pic related?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATNIFPA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

No, you won't benefit at all

Get the PS2 to HDMI, or watch this.

Also this

Unless you're going for the higher end converter it's gonna be various degrees of shit, Framemeister or OSSC whenever than becomes available publicly.
Also just for your info the component output of the PS2 is inferior to it's RGB one for some reason (not by much though and it's still better than S-Video).

If you really want a try for yourself just try to find a lenkeng one (LKV356 or LKV7600), every other cheap one you can get (less than $150) is either using the exact same chip or an equally bad one and yes there are people who mark up a $30 box like that up to $150

Honestly it depends on how good your tv's upscaler is. Honestly it's probably fine and you won't see many upgrades unless your tv is a cheap piece of shit. That said I have a Framemeister and run my PS2 through it to pretty damn great effect, but I didn't buy the Framemeister for that, I bought it so I could hook RGB sources up, Component upscaling was just a light bonus so I don't know if I'd suggest it for that.

My suggestion is to check out your tv's upscaler and if it's shit maybe just get a new tv.

There are some kinda' low cost game-streaming devices, but I have yet to purchase one for testing. People seem to use Elgato with high frequency, but then again, I don't have an LCD TV, and refuse to buy one because the only thing they're good for is watching fucking (((television))). You want a good game monitor? Sony PVMs, and any analog signal converter you can work together.

I saw that before… but I'm not spending over 300 bucks for that thing.

That's why I got a PS3 Component AV cable.But shit I'll look into the Ienkeng ones. I'm not too cool with how pricey Framemeister is.

Not sure how to check the upscaler. I'll take a look at the manual. It's a amsung UE40EH5000 40-inch Widescreen LCD that I got a couple years ago for 500ish bucks.

Just seeing if I can make the most out of the current TV. I don't really use it much except for consoles. Not sure why I got an LCD at all come to think of it.

Wouldn't this apply to people with multiple retro consoles?

Only way to know is to test it. If it's Samsung it's probably fine, Every Samsung I've ever tested handles 480i/480p/720p really well.

Yep Samsung 40 inch LED tv, actually. Not sure if this is a problem now.

I literally just this morning got mine in the mail.

Original Xbox's don't play nicely with certain HDTV's and give them a weird-ass ghosting thing on about half the games for it that makes it look like it's displaying two frames at once sorta. Makes the visuals not update correctly so it looks blurry and shit.

If you, like I was, are having that problem, an upscaler will totally one hundred percent fix the problem at the cost of making it look ever so slightly more blocky/worse. Considering Breakdown, Halo, and the far cry games for it weren't playable with the ghosting it's a worthy tradeoff.

If it matters my HDTV is an insignia model. The upscaler worked perfect. I have less than no idea if the PS2 has the same issue.

So long as you have component cables you should be fine, if you really want something to upscale it past what your tv can do maybe look in to OSSC as it is cheaper than the Framemeister, but really those things are more for older systems running at 240p.

Yes the ghosting is particularly noticeable on asian games for the PS2 for some reason. You can see it a lot in the cutscenes.

Like I said before I have a 40 inch LED Samsung H5000 series tv, an user assured me that the upscaler should be fine. So I should maybe get that thing aswell if the Component AV alone won't fix the cum smeared image.

Glad it worked out for you!

That's what I thought. I'm not really in the market for switchers, at least not yet since I'm only using a Playstation 2. Was thinking of getting a Gamecube tho… never had that shit as a kid!

You're an idiot.

Thanks, constructive.

No one wants to buy your CRTs Mohamed.

And fuck you too, turbo nigger.

Haha don't get me wrong user, they're fine and efficient and you can use them all you want, but it's not for me.

wew
you will never be able to play original xbox games

I bet you use filters.

If you get a really expensive upscaler like a framemeister you'll notice an improvement but not with anything cheap like that, it will probably make your video quality worse. Honestly OP the PS2 is one of the worst 6th generation consoles to plug up to an HDTV because of its image quality even if you plug it up through component cables. If you are playing on a HDTV the Xbox is probably the better choice if the game you want to play is a multiplat. The original Xbox is cheap as hell too, retro gaming stores sell them as low as 20 dollars. If you really want to play your ps2 with decent image quality I'd definitely recommend going to Goodwill or other thrift stores and find a CRT with component input. That is a extremely cheaper option and the best quality out of the ps2 you can get without buying into a 500 dollar upscaler.

To be honest man I wish the PS2 had some kind of third party add-on that would force FXAA and other emulator style options but whatever. I'm already glad if I can squeeze the most out of it with Component AV and perhaps a Component>HDMI upscaler.

I hear your words and I considered these facts before, that's why I intend to get an Xbox later on and when I'm still collecting games, I'll get the best of the two.

Right now it's just PS2 and yeah, it has the capacity for 1080i, but only a handful of games ever used that, including Gran Turismo and I don't give a shit about racing games.

My 40 inch LED is pretty alright if the settings on it and the PS2 are finetuned, honestly. It's not the worst.

This guy said he solved his ghosting problem with the upscaler for his Xbox, if the same applies for certain games on PS2 then I'm pretty much settled. Fuck spending 300 whatnot bucks on a Framemeister. I can afford it, but I wouldn't make the best or most of it, so it'd be a waste.

If you want to capture everything on the market and don't want a retardedly complicated setup just get an Elgato Game Capture, the non HD version

It has breakout cables and is able to hook up everything on the market, but it can't do 1080p 60FPS

Capture? Oh no I didn't mean to stream or anything. But I'll keep this in mind!

And that's your mistake. Old consoles look best on CRT televisions. (If you can't find one with component, settle for S-Video, it's close enough.)

Faggot with the xbox here (VPN). Just so you know this is the one I used:

amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATNIFPA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's 30 bux and worked perfectly with a softmodded xbox and an insignia flatscreen TV. Though again, it will result in a more pixelated look.

I still recommend it, because if a game doesn't have ghosting you can still always just not use it and not have it look pixelated.

PS2's library is 90% 480i, so there's no benefit in playing on an LCD. It looks distinctly worse due to added processing (also makes it harder to play games.) Just send the signal with as little interference as possible. Your TVs scaler is all you'll need.

If you want to get better picture out of the system, get a high end CRT. CRT natively handles interlaced images with no need for processing, so the image will be far clearer. If you're looking at consumer displays, go for sony trinitron displays. PS2 does RGB out for the best possible picture, and even RGsB is possible if you want to play those handful of 480p games.

Yeah but what if I wanted to play on a larger screen? It's honestly not that bad. I do not have the room for a CRT television, and my H5000 series LED is the only TV I have. It was a conscious choice.

I'll name one example that's particularly awful on PS2. Beatdown: Fists of Vengeance. The cutscenes are smeared with cum and the gameplay itself is a blurry, horribly pixelated mess on RGB Composite, 16:9 on a LED HD TV. Hopefully the Component will fix most of that.

Yeah it seems only the sports or high end racing games are higher than 480i. The reason why I'm just playing on my 40 inch LED is because it doesn't look that bad, and it's actually nice to play with a larger format. It does have a scaler, if you mean the options for the tv itself which are listed as Picture Size, it comes with Auto Wide, 16:9 which is what I use, Wide Zoom, Zoom and 4:3.

What do you mean handful of 480p games?

Do you think that will help with a PS2? I mean I'm hearing all these other opinions and I take them to heart but really I just wanna have best of both worlds.

the majority of the PS2's library, especially games pre-2004 (due to new techniques being published on how to better utilize the EE) many games used field based rendering, which uses alternate frames that abide by the interlaced standards by manipulating scanlines. This locks them to 480i, and forcing them to 480p will cause issues. There's a few 480p games that are otherwise defaulted to 480i and do not prompt you if 480p capable output is detected - like MGS2/substance - but these are few and far between. A 480i only CRT with y/pb/pr or rgb in is perfectly acceptable for good quality results. Otherwise you can always look into getting the best possible results with rgsb on a multiformat monitor.

I'd suggest keeping the picture options to something which does not perform any processing, there may be a standard or normal option available, I know my HD LCD TV has the option. This will allow the picture to adjust to your display depending on the signal the system is sending to the display. So if the game natively supports wide screen options you can enable, your TV will automatically switch depending on the signal being sent to it. Unless it's a shit TV, LCD displays are incredibly picky with how they accept signals.

I got a hardware backwards compatible PS3 off eBay recently. It's really the best option if you insist on using an HDTV instead of a PVM or consumer CRT with component cables.

this is great too. Just make sure you clean and reapply thermal compound on the PS3. PS3 should have been made in Japan, China is a mistake.

It's a Samsung H5000 LED TV. PS2's settings are set to 16:9, Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr. I use Component AV as of today. The TV's picture size is set to 16:9 or 4:3 which is the closest to a CRT format. I tend to switch. Some games look better with either or. Playing Mace Griffin Bounty Hunter right now which is from 2002, and it looks good either way.

I know a lot of retro old school people will just advise to get a state of the art CRT but I really do not have the space for that.

Sure, I considered it. I may go for one sooner or later. I'd like to play the PS3 exclusives aswell.

PS3 has heat distribution issues? Even on the latest editions?

Well it also does HDMI out, so any consoles you have hooked up to it are output to a TV

Are there any hdmi to av converters that are worth recommending for ps4 ? because own an and hdtv without and hdmi port.

Why bother with that console? 90% of its games are available on PC. Same for Xbone.

Acquire more consoles. Problem solved.

consider getting a newer 1080p display

Is this normal? Whenever I play any of my old consoles on my LCD using RGB cables I get extremely grainy picture. I thought that's my cable's fault at first but it turned out that way on everything, Gamecube, SNES, PS2, whatever and on two different LCDs. It doesn't happen with composite (but obviously I don't want to use it). Should I look for those fancy converters or just hook up an old CRT?

buy a crt and guncon2

And neither will you in 30 years…

Learn to take care of your shit you disgusting slob. I'd hate to see the inside of your pc if you can't make an electronic last 45 years.

Eventually, I may acquire a Gamecube, maybe an Xbox for those exclusives if I haven't gotten cross platform games on the PS2 by then.

Does your screen allow Component AV?

I worry about the lifespan of PS2 discs. Is there any way to prolong the longevity?

Pressed optical media kept in cool temperatures will last about 70-90 years.

Oh jesus, for some reason I had the idea of cooling, didn't think it'd be that long tho.

Bump for interest.

I have one of those. It puts out a really bad signal with bad colors and contrast. I eventually got a mememeister when preorders for the final shipments popped up. I got RGB cables from some place in the UK. Looks gorgeous.

Aren't they like 350 something bucks? Is it comparable to OSSC?

Not the user you're replying to but I got mine for 200 when they were on sale from the company of a few christmases back. Snooze you lose I guess because now it does go for around 328.

In some ways it's better, but because OSSC is newer OSSC also has some advantages as well. The way I look at it is Framemeister is more a piece of consumer electronics and is more user friendly to those who aren't as technical. OSSC's big advantage is that it can potentially add 0 frames of lag (though the framemeister only ads 1-1.5 frames), other than that though if you know what you're doing they'll produce similar pictures. Go OSSC if you want the latest shit or you could wait for whatever the Framemeister guys are currently cooking up, they aren't stopping production on the meister for no reason; a successor is on the way.

Also it's really worth noting that the OSSC and Framemeister are different things that achieve the same effects. OSSC is a line doubler whereas the Framemeister is a full on scaler. The difference is that OSSC just doubles the pixels making a 240p image in to a 480p image your modern display can handle, where as the Framemeister can do a whole lot more with the image (including things you would never ever want to do) at the cost of more processing time. Both achieve the same effect of getting old video signals on to your modern display, but don't think of OSSC as a cheaper Framemeister because it's really not.

production is stopping because the scaler processor they use ended production, so no one is making them. It's unlikely micomsoft will make a successor at all considering they would have to do a lot of engineering to get the same or better results, and as it is, they were just doing basic piping code through a chip and sending out a clean signal with a few extra touches.

cool temperatures meaning not like 40c 24/7.

Sounds reasonable about the processor, but I still have heard a lot of rumors that they're working on something. Though I guess those who want a framemeister shouldn't bet on it based on what you've said.

They could just go FPGA, a decent board in the right hands could do some pretty neat stuff, and if they keep the price point of the Framemeister they can basically use a board that is way more powerful than the OSSC.

That's fair.
I wish PCSX2 stopped sucking ass.

Have a converter and a PS 2, but by now the games have probably gone to shit. I'm just being very careful to take care of my PS 3, since it will be the last system where you can play games anything like actual reality where…White Navy Seals/SAS shoot spics and arabs.

Guys explain me something why has nobody ever come up with a deinterlacing solution that just overlays partial frames on each other as they come solving the problem of non-crt displays being uncapable of display interlaced material?

You talking about SOCOM? I ordered the first three of those this week. Gonna be fun to catch up.

Isn't that what OSSC does?