Demon's Souls

Been replaying it lately and it hit me why DeS is a better game then DaS. The game simply flows better with it's levels and atmosphere. DaS 1&3 try to reach it and while they make a good effort they never truly reach DeS in those aspects.

Other urls found in this thread:

darksouls.wikidot.com/covetous-gold-serpent-ring
darksouls2.wikidot.com/covetous-gold-serpent-ring
darksouls3.wikidot.com/ring:covetous-gold-serpent-ring
archive.fo/u1Kuq
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because you suck cocks?

>>>/Cuckchan/

The gameplay was still a little unpolished, but the levels where the best of the series and felt very different from one another. Dark Souls didn't have a sword that could break the sky in two.

Agreed. The whole "if you fuck up or play well" karma system shit was cool too.

Pretty much amazing when it came out, lightning in a bottle and it wasn't pretentious with it's endings.

My favorite thing about this, and the thing DaS never managed to replicate, was how dying had actual consequences on gameplay

Never played DeS because no PS3, do you only get the health bar back to full after killing a boss?

DeS actually encouraged you not to be shit at the game.

Either that or you consume an item called the Stone of Ephemeral Eyes, there are about fifty of them in every NG cycle.

Really made the preparation before each boss fight a goddamn tactical investment in autism, good times.

Enjoyed this game like a nigger enjoys watermelon, had top fun playing with some friends doing pure black tendency levels and shit

Best part is that if even if you use the eyes and get your health bar back, that only opens you to get more black tendency if you die again, so farming eyes and thinking you'll be safe dying a lot will destroy your ass

Well, my co-worker just got a PS4 and his PS3 is free to loan, so I'mma head right now to lend it and buy a used copy of Demon's Souls. Finally after all these years. Thanks for the thread OP, you helped make this happen.

A little tip: try to defeat the tutorial boss and see what happens.

This game really didn't fuck around only game that managed to be close was Bloodborne but even that didn't fully match DeS.

I still want to tenderly love the Maiden. And touch her lewd demon inside

Actually I remember something the game actually became harder around Halloween due to it automatically making your soul tendency black as sin.

Get in line.

I liked the items on Demon's Souls they were much better than other games as they got very strong.

Yeah, there were special holiday events where the devs altered the world tendency.

The last great, all time classic game in my opinion/experience.

but once you become accustomed to the last three Demon's Souls is the bee's knees.

Really definitive, concrete & objective terminology there, champ.

I think the highest point the series ever reached is the whole part between entering Sen's Fortress until you get the Lordvessel in Anor Londo. This entire part of Dark Souls is one of the best experiences I've had with a video game hands down. But, yeah, if you compare both games in their entirety, Demon's Souls is much more consistent in being good than Dark Souls is. As high as I regard the Sen's Fortress/Anor Londo part, DaS has a lot of cancer parts DeS didn't have like the Demon Ruins and shit. Also, DeS has a lot of more interesting mechanics, like World Tendency that I missed in DaS. The only thing I really disliked in DeS was farming Pure Bladestone. Fuck that shit. Everything else was a good ride.

Sadly, you need online for that one.

Get fucked.

It has that old school experience that makes you buttmad on how unfair it is, you wouldn't understand.

If world tendency wasn't influenced by other players it would be fine. Being forced to play offline until you got the gear locked by Pure White World Tendency was shitty tho.

granted its not well implemented because to manipulate WT you should play offline, but its not really something to cry about kiddo.

Are anons on line right now? Where are you? Asking for a friend.

but user it only resets when you return to the nexus. In fact you can use other players to make it easier to manipulate WT and it only is influenced by the aggregate player base the first time you load your save game. If you don't reload your save other players don't effect it. PvP is a great way to manipulate WT.

I could start a playthrough today, might take a couple hours to get to a co-op worthy part

but user you get the blue eye stone after 1-1 and you can pick up the black eye stone in 4-1. That shouldn't take a couple hours. The best part about DeS is that it doesn't lock you out of early PvP and PvE like all the other souls games.

Whenever I played a new file almost all areas were halfway into Pure Black (special WT events excluded). Getting shrine of storms to pure white to get the gear there was a bitch IIRC. But yeah, World Tendency was a cool mechanic, it just needed more tweaks to be perfect.

My PS3 is borrowed away, sorry friendo.

I agree.

The only issue I have with WT is that it resets when online so this screws with the surprise of unlocking something. How it works in the other departments is completely fine. The reason I say this is that they are in effect dynamic secrets. This is a completionist's worst nightmare but this is the thing, the secrets in DeS were never meant to be available in one run, in fact to fully complete your character you would have to at minimum complete the game three times.

DeS also feels like it's PvE is catered around fun combat and builds. It's very well balanced in that department. Not in the PvP department though.

You can pick up the black eye stone from any red phantom, I hated the fact you had to defeat at least two bosses to get to the red eye orb. Fromsoft does everything they can to corral/limit invaders.

My favourite game of the last generation, still better than anything to have followed it IMO. It's an utter juggernaut that bucked the trend the game industry was heading in. Dark Souls became the larger brand, but Demon's Souls was what pushed things on.

Exactly. Each level felt like a journey, and success was well worth the preparation and caution.

Wait a second what is this about gear locking? I've never heard of this.

Keep in mind that the game online is divided by game version, from the wiki: There is no region locking for online play based on the region your account or the console are in. However, the three versions, the Asian, the Atlus North American and the Namco Bandai European release of the game use different servers. You can only connect for online play with individuals using the same version of the game as you.

Fuck don't remind me.

but user that is only half true. WT is only effected by the player pool when you load your save game (and by PvP, PvE). So technically you don't need to be offline, it just generally more reliable to say offline. If online was working as intend (being their was a active player base) manipulating tendency is not that hard. The meme that you have to play offline is what irronicly killed WT.

Yep and that prohibition meant that the majority of players invading low level where good enough to beat those bosses at low level. So instead of the rare twink, low level invasion became mandatory twinking, leading to newfags crying more tears of greef.

* that is I am assuming you are good enough to not die. Dying while in "body form" dose effect WT even if you are offline.

It's not that difficult to not die once you have been through the game a few times.

There is a considerable number of gear locked away by World Tendency (both Pure White and Black). If you are trying to make a particular build that needed any of those items, it was a little frustating that you had to play offline (which made manipulating WT easier) until you got the gear.

The biggest problem was those gear being locked away by the Pure part of WT and not by WT itself. If it was something like >75% either way it would be alright/not frustrating to manipulate it even while playing online.

Yeah, i don't wanna risk it at all. I remember losing my world tendency more than once because of loading my save while online, people had no idea that dying in their own world (body form) affects others online.

Okay let's get down to business what server will you all be on? I'm a burger.

OH! I thought you meant gear would make it harder to connect to people depending on the world tendency.

That's because it's never mentioned.

The problem with world and character tendencies is that they weren't explained properly to the player. The maiden should have explained it to you in a dialogue option.

The soundtrack of DeS was amazing. Thanks for the reminder.

its only generally an issue today when you want pure BWT. Often now I find when I start a new game online most the worlds are shifted towards WWT. You can also do Co-opt to shift your world back towards WWT. Every boss kill in Co-opt is one tick towards WWT and Co-op death dose not effect your WT. If the online was active its actually not hard to shift between the too ends utilizing online features.

Euro here, can't help you.

I feel bad for people like this. I always wonder what is going on at home or if they even have one.

It fills me with such anxiety that their life is so sucky that they have to play video games in a fast food restaurant for things to feel better. I can only imagine a pack of niggers eyeing him and waiting for him to step in the cold outside night and get ambushed for his console and tv. Such a sitting duck and that guy does not look like he is young buck who can put up a fight.

Who needs to know how to fight when you have a gun?

That, and they needed to have a way to fix them on the go if needed.
Imagine humanities from dark souls, uncommon items like that you can farm and popping one makes tendency shift towards pure white (since pbwt is piss easy).
Anyone excited for Demon's Souls remake?

(checked)

I sure hope he does, user. My mind keeps going back to that bronze star marine sergeant that got knocked out cold by a bunch of blm monkeys walking out of McDonalds.

these words imply this is a regular occurrence that has happened often in the world you live in.

Well sure, but to get the weapon I want and to get a few affairs in order (like a system update before it'll let me play online) it would take slightly longer than just finishing 1-1. I'll be looking to co-op 2-1 and 5-1 in about in hour if anyone's still around. American servers.

Esoteric game systems led to a lot of player cooperation which is partly what contributed to the success of the game, I wouldn't say it's a bad thing

No, just whenever I see these pictures online. Its right up there with pictures of dogs left in cars. Like nails on a chalkboard.

I don't think it will ever happen but it will probably happen.

If I'm not mistaken Atlas owns the distribution rights to Demon's Souls in the west but Sony Owns the IP. It would be stuck legal hell. I doubt we will ever see a remake.

oh well yeah when you put it that way.

do you see alot of pictures of people playing vidya in MacDonald?

While the game allowed you to tackle its challenges in whatever order you wanted, each of the levels is linear as fuck.

The tendency mechanic is only a hindrance to idiots who don't know that the Nexus' tendency has no affect on your world, so after every boss you teleport to the nexus, fucking kill yourself, grab your souls and continue your journey. Then to get your character to pure white tendency you kill yourself in human form until the world tendency goes full black and go around killing the manifestations until your own tendency turns pure white. It'll also turn your world back to grey tendency until the NG+ when you can then change the world to pure white tendency. Thus collecting every tendency reward takes the NG and NG+ playthroughs and then you're done.

Now here's the problems with this game.
Building around this limitation makes the worlds feel a little more believable, I will say, but it also makes them tiny as fuck worlds that are simply layers on top of layers. There's no expansiveness, because it's all contained in tiny spaces to reduce on memory usage.

Also due to a lack of memory, there's not enough memory in most situations to have a sky or even a sky box. Even in the Shrine of Storms, a location that starts outside, the sky is bland and there's very little going on.
Bad frame pacing and low memory means that there is a fairly limited number of enemies in any location, there's not a whole lot of variety in the enemies either. Every animation and every enemy feels slow.
Best example of this is Pure Bladestone, which drops off of ONE enemy in the Shrine of Storms, who is hidden in a secret passage, and if he doesn't drop the Bladestone, you're fucked until the next NG cycle.
I know, you guys like to praise that shit like it's a masterpiece, but it's not. It's crap. Walking around with a hard cap on your hp bar's location, limiting you to using 50% or 75% of your hp if you're willing to give up a ring slot is absolutely stupid.

Which is why FromSoftware didn't do this again in Dark Souls. Then based on fan feedback, they tried it again in Dark Souls 2 and found that once again, fans didn't actually like this mechanic and only a vocal minority did, so they struck the perfect balance in Dark Souls 3 by allowing retards to hollow themselves optionally.

Another bad design choice was killing the player at the beginning of the game. Whether or not you win the fight with Vanguard, you die either way, because the dragon god is going to crush you. So you're forcefully hollowed even if you win the fight against Vanguard just before you get plopped into the Nexus. And then in the continued fashion of linearity, you get access to the Palace of Boletaria and not much else until you kill Phalanx. Now you get access to all the other zones, finally.

Then to fuck with the player they make it impossible to progress beyond the Tower Knight until you go into another world and kill a demon. Unless that demon is Vanguard (who appears whether you killed him in the prologue or not), then it doesn't count.

Fake nostalgia faggots and people who keep claiming that "the first game is objectively the best" simply because it's before the franchise went popular and their clique disappeared because the public at large were playing are examples of why you're so out of touch.

I have seen plenty in my past, but I quite literally mean whenever I see these pics I wonder what is the point of all this trouble just to play video games somewhere so foreign and unnecessary and my mind instantly goes to worse possible explanation.

Have a classic.

It's possible to grind it without starting a NG cycle. It requires pure black world tendency however and it drops off a black phantom black skeleton near the end of 4-2. Drop rate of course is still absolute shit and most people won't know how tendency works unless they look it up.

I like DeS, but I think that DaSI is the better game. It's a smoother experience all around. Looks better (as if that matters), has better variety of bosses and enemies and weapons. It has a better healing system, smoother animations, and generally improves upon the template. It removed carry burden, which is fantastic, it introduced pyromancy, and somewhat fixed the weapon upgrade system. It's not perfect, but it's definitely an improvement on DeS.

Alright, all set. I'll drop a summon sign in 2-1 if anyone wants to run it together

Love you

Yeah, this is often overlooked I think. One at the start, one and the end was nice, simple and gave DeS a nice sense of pacing.

Apart from that, DeS is still my favourite mostly because of the level design, which I don't think any game in the series comes close to in terms of overall quality other than Bloodborne. I've also always wished that they would bring back the rating system for co-op that DeS had ever since I did my first co-op session and the other guy gave me an A.

No it doesn't require PBWT and no the skeleton near the end of 4-2 isn't the only one. The dual katana skeleton at the start of 4-2 in the area where the primeval demon spawns drops it even in PWWT on first playthrough. I know this because by sheer chance it dropped one when I was just clearing out the area.

Do go on.

Was that one of you with the green hair that summoned me? I am so sorry

Bloodborne's also the only other one where it's very, very infrequent that you'll get a second checkpoint on the way through a level, with the exception of the useless lamps that spawn after a boss fight

I missed my chance. I missed my chance to forever be immortalized in both screencap and video.

but you are wrong. When in Soul form you do Bonus damage.
then just play with 50% HP
but their is a lore reason. Your soul upon dying is bound to the nexus which is why you are able to be reborn. It also serves as a way to prohibit online play until after 1-1 serving as an extension of the tutorial stage.
now I know you are baiting. Well here is your (you), enjoy it.

I heard he's a trucker, though, in which case im pretty sure he's fine.

It also stops world tendency from fucking with you while you're still new to the game. It really is a tutorial after the tutorial.

Do not weep for what it wasn't, weep for what it won't be.

Do not trust Frampt or Kathe.

What the hell are they? They only appear in one game and we never see them again. Are they a part of the Pygmy's humanity coalescing? Did Gwyn behead some dragons and keep their heads around? Is it another one of Seath's experiments? Do we even get any answers?

It has nothing to do with that honestly, I genuinely just like them the best. If it's any consolation, I think DeS, BB and the first Dark Souls are all roughly as good as eachother and whichever one someone prefers is down to personal preference first and foremost.

they're primordial serpents

Also
How the fuck did you derive that from what I said? I like both the first and third Dark Souls.

Not really. The first game tells us the most about them and even then the bits and pieces don't really add up. They may or may not be imperfect dragons(whatever that means), they were probably around way before anyone and anything else, they ARE playing everyone and everything like a fiddle(including themselves), are not to be trusted(because even if they do not say any actual lies, they lie by omission) and are quite possibly all part of one being.

They need to remake DeS in the engine and with all of the updated tech of DaS3.
DeS is certainly designed better, but it plays like garbage compared to the rest of the franchise, and everything feels stiff and stilted. I also like the impressive diversity of weapon animations that the franchise accrued over its run - replayability is improved when you can use five different straight swords that all feel totally different to use.
The improved combat pace of Bloodborned / DaS3 also has a much better feel to it. DeS and DaS1/2 bosses just don't have enough speed or aggression to feel threatening, with the exceptions of Artorias and Fume Knight Raime. The franchise really hit its peak in boss fight excellence with Freide and Slave Knight Gael, and it's a shame that every single boss wasn't as white-knuckle and no-mistakes-allowed as those two were.

I agree about the bonfire placements, though. If DaS3 had only one bonfire per zone, at the very beginning, the game would essentially be perfect.

Serpents are literally "imperfect dragons".
Perfectly valid theory. But I think they just was some primordial abominations. And my personal opinion is that they were something like thousand headed dragon from that tale. They also look similar to hydra which is also some sort of lesser dragon.
And Kaathe was basically patron of Ringed city/Londor.
I think they(k/f) are different sides of the same jew serpent. Both are liars, but Kaathe seems to be better option. Worlds is overfucked by linking of the flame, worlds is covered in ashes, humanity was fucked over by gods and turning into mindless abomination suddenly sounds not so bad. And not everyone turns into abomination/loses mind.

Yep.

No, dsfix is enough.
Yes. There are fucking bonfire 20 steps from next bonfire.
Mostly no.

I still really like it and have my copy, I need a new PS3 to play it again, though.

Are you retarded?

World Tendency is the worst fucking thing that has ever been in a Souls game though, even worse than Soul Memory or at least tied. Have to grind to get pure black, have to grind to get pure white just to get the weapons you want. Fucking disgusting.

The reason that I like DeS more than DaS sometimes is because I am able to complete the worlds in any order. This allows me to get a build I liked from a previous playthrough, or stumble upon a new build I like.

PS
darksouls.wikidot.com/covetous-gold-serpent-ring
darksouls2.wikidot.com/covetous-gold-serpent-ring
darksouls3.wikidot.com/ring:covetous-gold-serpent-ring
They are the jews.

Basically. Someone post that picture of kaathe rubbing his face jowl things together.

How do you figure?

It's speculation, but it's speculation based on the fact that you never see Kaathe or Frampt's body, only their heads. So there's no telling what their whole body looks like, they could look like retarded Diglets, or they could be an interconnected mass of kike dragons.

When I was homeless for a few months, I used to spend my nights in McDonald's. I live in a pretty good neighborhood, though. No thugs or anything, just the odd homeless person or mentally ill person would bother you. The people that work there kind of grow to hate you because the managers want you out but they're not around during the night shift so the employees don't really do anything if you're not bothering them.
It's not that bad, really. Free Wifi, free refills on drinks ($1 on a small drink nets you a place to sit and nap for eight hours as long as the place doesn't randomly fill up at midnight). Then during the day you just kinda do the things you'd normally do while out of the house. Look for work, maybe look for a community home if you're desperate, go to a community center if you need a shower or something…

Definitely not a very comfortable way to live but it could be worse.

Yeah, a lot of people think that way.

Just sounds weird to me, considering how far apart they show up.
Also, that one painting in DS3 shows two independent serpents. Might be metaphorical, though.

no, their is actually a race of men that was cursed for being jewish, read the description of the mimic hat

You had it rough, but you must never give up, in the future many people in comfort will be forced to face an harsh reality, a reality they have been postponing with their laziness.

Read this
archive.fo/u1Kuq

Oy vey, that's anti-serpentic

There are dead serpents in ds3 ringed city. But some people say it was just puss of man.

>play's both side, one is a neoconservative supporting Gwen. the other is a Nihilist communist supporting the disgruction of everything created by the Gods.
they are clearly Jews user. Just look at their facial structure.

So according to pajeets world tendency is real?

It's as if you don't even respect memetics

Its better because its less popular.

Maybe its just because I haven't played online in a while but holy shit, I don't remember the audio stuttering and delay being this bad

It's a proven fact.

I am foolish and I must learn

Angry woman at home sounds like the usual scenario.

they need to remake this game, and give it a modern makeover with better pvp, covenants, etc.

cancer

though i do appreciate that they keep the servers up

Fuck you. I like Demon's Souls the way it is. I don't want it to resemble Dark Souls.

They won't do it anyway, but fuck you.

nah fuck you leatherman

Oh yeah? Smartass.

No.

By the way.. That's some lovely armor you have there.

Would be a shame if something were to happen to it..

wat

the only prepping i ever did for a boss was grinding healing items and i only did that for allant and flamelurker.

This is possibly the most retarded complaint I have ever heard because it if were true, who fucking cares, but it's also not true because there's tons of scenic vistas.
Did you never fight skeletons or is your frame of reference for speed based on Devil May Cry? Moreover: What's wrong with slow?
This is completely wrong. He respawns when you kill him and it drops off any 2kat skeleton. The black phantom 2kat is just the one with highest odds of dropping it.
What? Hollow themselves optionally? Embering vs hollowing are totally different mechanics and have nothing to do with themselves, and you automatically lose your embered HP when you die. What? What the fuck are you even talking about?
How is this in any way a bad design choice?
How is a linear tutorial a bad design choice? Because that's exactly what 1-1 is.
What??? Did you even fucking play the game? This is wrong too! You need to kill an ARCHdemon! You need to kill any of the x-3 bosses to get rid of that colorless fog!

World tendency isn't just shit, it's also never explained in-game.

My nigga

I've just got back to this game again with a Quality character in NG+ that I made way back, and I found some things that fascinate me that I completely forgot about.

For starters, this game's checkpoints and choke points are fucking brutal. There were several areas where I tried to run past every enemy and there seems to be more obstacles that completely block your path compared to other Souls games.
Engaging in fights feels pretty damn slow and stiff too, but it strangely fits this kind of game. It really gives you a sense that you're merely trying to survive, then slowly conquering levels inch by inch, and finally beating the boss in an area feels very rewarding as a result.
I've seen people bitch about "unfair" checkpoints and having to replay long stretches of gameplay, but honestly, that endurance element is what makes these games an interesting experience, seeing as their combat is very basic (for example, I don't like the runbacks in Nier Automata because I want to experiment with the combat, so the pacing there needs to be a lot more fluid and faster).

I don't think I like the idea of world tendency though, mainly because certain NPCs and items are exclusive to either Pure White or Pure Black, which means you have to farm for it and go out of your way to make that possible. It's really counter-intuitive for no good reason.

He thinks that gaining 30% hp via item is completely different from losing 30% hp after death.

Well, the amount of ground you have to cover and enemies you have to fight before a boss, after all shortcuts are opened, is always proportional to how difficult the boss is, with the exception of Phalanx since she's the tutorial. It's really well-considered, I think the only questionable one is Armor Spider on NG+.

The claim that it's always a long journey to the bosses in Demon's Souls has never failed to piss me off so I'm going to go into an overly detailed and autistic rant. Feel free to ignore this post.

You've got 4 bosses in world 1, and 3 in the other 4 worlds, for a total of 3*4+4 = 16 bosses.
All four archdemons have an archstone directly before their fog gate. The longest runup of the four is old monk, who has a grand total of two (or was it three?) mindflayers between the archstone and the boss so they have time to load in a player. That leaves 12 bosses to potentially have a long runup.

1-1: Phalanx: The gate to the bossroom is directly in front of the archstone. You need to do a bunch of running around to open the gate, but once you do, there's only a few dredglings between you and the boss.
1-2: Tower Knight: Yeah this is a long runup and there's no real shortcuts in the level.
1-3: Penetrator: You open up a bunch of shortcuts but there's still somewhat of a runup to him, and you have to get past those redeye knights on the stairs which can be a bit of an ass.
1-4: Allant: This is a huge runup and a pain in the ass with that slow elevator.

2-1: Armor Spider: There's a bunch of shortcuts you gradually open up to make it not much of a runup at all. There's I think two fatties between the start and the boss? It's a long walk but mostly empty.
2-2: Flamelurker: You run right through nonhostile enemies and fall down a shaft. You don't even need to open up shortcuts or explore, he's right fucking there from the getgo.

3-1: Fool's Idol: There's a bit of a runup to her but with all the shortcuts you open up it's mostly running through empty enemy-free areas.
3-2: Maneaters: Once you destroy the heart, there's one, maybe two gargoyles between you and the boss and you can just run past them anyway. It's basically nothing.

4-1: Adjudicator: There's a shortcut to skip the entire level but it wasn't intended by the developers, and he's otherwise a level-length runup.
4-2: Old Hero: There's a shortcut both to skip to him and to skip directly to Storm King but neither is intended and he's otherwise a level-length runup.

5-1: Leechmonger: This is the third one with no shortcuts, so you have to do the whole level each time, but he's also a chump and you should feel bad if you ever died to him.
5-2: Dirty Colossus: The fourth with no shortcuts and a level-length runup, but also kind of a chump.

TOTAL COUNT: TOWER KNIGHT, ALLANT, ADJUDICATOR, OLD HERO, LEECHMONGER, AND DIRTY COLOSSUS
SIX OUT OF SIXTEEN, TWO OF WHICH YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO RUN UP TO AND TWO OF WHICH HAVE SEQUENCE BREAKS, SO EITHER SIX OR TWO DEPENDING ON WHETHER YOU USE NEW OR OLD MATH

But that's exactly what Demon's Souls did. You use an item to gain HP that goes away on death, it's just that it's 50% or 25% instead of always 33%. You even get it back automatically when you kill a boss.

One thing I want to ask is do any of you think that Bloodborne came close to DeS?

Toptier taste

No

and while i'm being autistic:

That's the one I was having trouble with, I died a few times and had very few healing items at that point.
But as I felt frustrated and salty as fuck, I also felt a great sense of relief and accomplishment in the end, which didn't happen to me in a while. There's definitely something to be said about this very slow-paced, and even janky approach to game design that somehow works really well for some people.
So to me, this idea that every game should follow the same rule when it comes to checkpoints, I just see it as another attempt at homogenization. It's also very short-sighted because they're trying to mess with a deliberate design choice where the game's balance rests on. To knock that foundation right off can undermine the whole experience.

I don't understand why people act like master game designers and think they know better, instead of simply accepting X game might not be for them.

sauce on the skeleton video?

Umbasa.

the blue dragon was the shit part of 1-4

how to fix DaS3 level design in roughly playing order:

except for kalameet and sinh dragons are the shit part of the franchise

that's even worse, I can pretend there's a coincidentally named Land or person (like heather shields, those reference 20th century technology) but the player never using their lucerne to smash just bugs me.

Or stick it near the entrance to his bossroom to cut down on backtracking to twin princes.

forgot to add: don't force the player to have killed all three lords of cinder before they can enter the archives.

this would require Ringed City to be part of the base game, but I would make the flameless shrine connect to the first leg of the Dreg Heap and make it so you have to walk through to the ramp up to the Kiln, and have some kind of branching pathway that leads to Earthen Peak ruins.

just walk from the Archives, it's less that 10 extra seconds Although for me that would be awesome because for some reason the area where you fight the Dragonslayer Armor makes my game slow to a crawl

we don't actually know if the areas are connected, they could be two completely different places in two completely different timeframes.

it gave you infinite grass to munch making all damage meaningless

You missed the part where everything is even more linear than DaS2, relies on heavily teleporting and cutscene transitions, and has painfully little intergrated map design.

no.

Here we go.

All items had weight in Demon Souls.
Therefore, if you wanted to carry around 99 of every everything, you'd had to sacrifice a good 100kg of weight you could be using for armor.
Which would be easily countered if suprise, you got poisoned ,plagued or fall to your doom.
Even more if you used magic or arrows, because they weighed even more. You had to make a choice , more items or more room for whatever you find.
Most demon souls players had that heartache of finding a bunch of stone drops, only to be overencumbered – Then stumble upon something even better.

Compare this to Dark Souls 2, where you could carry–
And had not 5 but TWELVE quick item slots – Without breaking a sweat.

Ultimately, Demon Souls had you choose between being always prepared OR being able to reap the rewards of exploring.
Dark Souls ultimately said " fuck it" and just let you pocket of infinity everything.

Grass was pretty light and easy to carry though.

A long time ago, I ran a few autistic-tier tests with the faggots from Gamefaqs.

You'd run out of Grass before an asshole is done spamming Death Cloud. Since it automatically gimps all grass but Dark Moon grass and the Plague curing item.
Assuming it procs every other attempt, you could only recover from it 198 times, while the asshole spamming it can cast it, assuming he has only 300 mp, can cast it 495 times if he recovers his MP using 99 of each MP recovery item.

Now if I'm using magic- Cure is faster but heals no HP. Meaning in an running battle, I am at a huge disadvantage.

Reflecting on this is depressing. I was really into all the souls games a tad too much.

I mostly agree, although you forgot the mindflayer on the staircase that leads to the maneaters. The path is narrow, so it can be difficult to efficiently dodge this foe without falling to your doom.

5-2 there is actually a board you can push down to make a shortcut. It's at point 18 on this map (at the bottom somewhat left-of-center).
5-1 isn't that bad to get through if you do the right drops.
4-2 I think the doors for the areas with the reapers stay open when you die, and thus subsequent runs are shorter It's been a while so I don't remember this one as well as I'd like.

fixed

When asked about difficulty the developers said the level was accounted for. This is why bosses like Adjudicator (as an example) are piss easy. Because the run to the boss was taken into account as apart of the challenge. Sound like you just need to get better at the game. 4 of those 6 bosses in your "Total count"you should never ever die to.

autism can only lead to greatness

DS2's healing items were slow to use and slower to take effect, and anything but basic lifegems was a lot harder to grind out because you couldn't just buy infinite of them.
I mean, you had retarded amounts of out-of-battle healing, but you can't use a dragon charm during a fight.

oi m8 did you not see the bit that said 'you should be ashamed to ever die to these bosses'

the pissing off isn't about the game being hard it's about the claim that there's a huge runup when most bosses have no runup at all

oi m8, I seems you are a liberal communist and want all the levels to be egalitarian. Well sorry kiddo not all levels where created equal. Deal with it!
Is what I would say if I where to deliberately act incredulous to your actual point :^)

They appear in two games. In Dark Souls 3, there are statues in the Grand Archives which depict the serpents as having a robed humanoid torso, and tiny wings but otherwise no limbs. In the Ringed City DLC, there are statues depicting them as having more dragonlike bodies, with at least two limbs, and the shape seeming to indicate a quadruped to me. Lore-wise, the Ringed City was kind of a hermit kingdom granted to the Pygmy's descendants by Gwyn in order to keep them cut off from the world like lepers, and the Grand Archives of Lothric were a base for dark magic wielders who urged their prince to renounce his station as a prophecized Linker of the Flame and let the world slip into darkness. Additionally, the Ringed City would have to be far, far more ancient than the Kingdom of Lothric.

To me this says the reptilian quadruped form was probably the original shape of the Primordial Serpents, and I doubt very much the old conjecture that they might all just be multiple heads on the same body. The wings on the serpent statues in Lothric seem to me to be related to the angel cult that also existed in Lothric at some point.

I believe the Primordial Serpents, actual Dragons, and the Pus of Man are all related. Numerous references throughout the series show Men becoming, or attempting to become, Dragons. Whether through the Dragon covenants, Aldia's experiments, or the Dragons in Lothric literally having Pus of Men for beating hearts. The Primordial Serpents also bear a rough resemblance to variations of the Pus of Man, and the chaotic nature of that transformation could account for the differences in how the Serpents are represented in statuary.

Finally, I'm fairly confident Kathe was the "good guy" from the perspective of Men. If he was aware of how the Fading Fire ending in DS3 was going to turn out, all he was doing was ending the wicked torment of the Age of Fire (and gods) which burnt the souls of men. It's stated plainly in the third game, as the First Flame is fading away to blackness, that "one day tiny flames will dance across the darkness, like embers linked by lords past."

I take this to mean that, in the absence of a monolithic Flame, a divine creative spark, individual humans will take up the mantle for themselves, and find their own destiny one by one. It's a very traditional JRPG "kill god cuz he's evil, and show the human spirit!" story. Kathe believed in the strength and determination of Man, and Man's ability to forge his own destiny. Frampt was a fuckboi for zombie Zeus.

Why the fuck do people complain about Dark Souls 2 lore when almost nobody pays attention to it?

they also "technically" appear in DkS2.

"A shield decorated by intertwined dragons. The black and white contrast depicts the ebb and flow of the fate of all things living, and the serpentine dragons that watch over the march of time. The bearer of this shield will be blessed by great fortune in battle."

weird I was about to post that same image

man vs god

You got me, Vaati, your lore is deepest and girthiest. I love Dark Souls 2 and people who bitch about it are losers. Also Demon's Souls is canon and takes place after DS2's backstory, with Vendrick and Aldia, and before DS2 proper. I know this because my dad works at Nintendo.

That's a matter of opinion.
It's a matter of fact, however, that all of those were done best in DaS3 - best by miles.

oh christ it's this cunt again
just filter him before he spergs out for another hundred posts

Who?

Ever since romanticism hit europe we've been on a downward spiral into more contrived, 2deep4u cynical garbage in literature.

THE CUTEST

They made 4 girls after her and none came even close, she truly was a miracle.

Fire Keeper from 3 was close but she will never be Maiden in Black.

Do you have more maps?

what happens?

That reminds me, actually.
AAHHHHHHHHHHH

There are maps like that for every area on the wikidot.

You get a little bonus. Not much but it's kinda cool.

If only running naked and rolling was not the best way to avoid damage.

Ha ha. No.

She`s dead, Jim.

I don't believe u

you get teleported to a castle where you can pick up grass and stuff for a little starting boost, then Dragon God kills you

I wonder why :^)

And, technically, two before her, neither of which came close.

The series became much more accessible, forgiving, and casual friendly as it went on. DeS was the hardest, followed by DaS1, and so on.

She's pretty great.

Is that a type of scythe, or is it just another case of people constantly referring to something by the wrong name?

Demon's souls only has 3 weight classes: < 50%, 100%. Getting below 50% is very doable even with armor on.

Souls games have been discussed to death already yet you soulsfags just can't shut the fuck up about them, can you?

gas the kikes race war now?

I wonder if Vaati, ENB or a German Spy supports RoHoWa?
Wonder if Vaati plays Moon Man Doom?

Like he said, it's a bardiche. It's not a threshing tool, but rather socketed polearm with a large cleaver-like blade.

I also hate how polearms are categorized as "halberds" and how how the black knight halberd, later know as black knight glaive is still wrong because it's a glaive-guisarme.

I checked that out, came across this list of weapons that I thought was neat.

Not on my watch.

I still laugh at how you could kill Allant with a cloud of poison.

DeS has some pretty funky A.I. at times.

One thing I wish the other games included was Old monk that was good boss fight. His theme was also unique.

But DaS 2 and 3 had an old monk style boss fight in the Looking Glass Knight and Halflight. The charm wasn't there for LGK, but the Spear fight was nearly verbatim what the Old Monk fight was in Demon's Souls.

It was close but you can't beat old monk.

Old Monk isn't going to be topped thematically, though in terms of function Looking Glass Knight and Spear of the Church mechanically are much better. It sucked waiting for the player to arrive at the boss room and sucked more when they get killed by the jailers making the invasion frustratingly pointless.

Allant gets overlooked by the likes of Gwyn and Gehrman, but I think he was the best one in many ways. Demon's Souls' biggest theme seems to be the clash between horror and heroism, greed versus virtue. His death quote always gets me, too.

He's completely wrong. You did. That you're there, hearing his line, is proof he's wrong. The ghosts and phantoms you saw along the way were proof he's wrong. You went through the shit that was the world ruined by demons, and you came out on top. It's rare that you get to see a villain proven so absolutely wrong like that, and it is very satisfying.

I've played through this game 7 times and I've only just now noticed how Medievil-esque this track is.

There's a version that's been crafted especially to explain the concept to Holla Forums

BB = Ds3 > Ds1 > DeS >>>>>>>>>> Ds2

Doll is Bretty gud.
But then again, Doll was made to capitalize off of people's memories of the Maiden in Black

We never get games with ball and chain weapons, very rarely a whip, and Nioh is on the Bloodborne machine. Life is suffering.

Swap DaS 3 and 2, and then you're onto something.

I'm sorry, we don't serve niggers here.

I'm sorry, we don't serve retarded faggots here.

Bet you'll like the shitty system shock fan remaster coming out too.

Certain dark spells in ds2 were a problem, but atleast Rolling wasn't spamable and magic was good.

Katana counter damage was shitty and meta, but still, ds3 has way more problems, roll spam is just my number 1 complaint.

git gud

Dark Souls 3 is a battle of attrition.

B-But user! You mean you DIDN'T hate something as trivial as a windmill going up into a lava temple?! It didn't ruin the entire game for you?!

When did I imply that? I just said by your complaints you sound like you suck dick at the game and need to get good.

How magnificent! Bait is bait, even in a dream!

No, we will not abandon the thread.

It's still not wax you fucking faggot.

Until you hardswap to a lance and laugh. Leo ring lance shieldpoke wrecks their shit so hard. 180 counter and way higher AR.

I really wish 3 didn't ruin lances. They were my favorite weapon class in 2.

It bugs me that Alva isn't also peeking around that corner.

Even though I believe the Darkness endings are the best choice for mankind, it really seems like Kaathe (And the horde of serpents that appear at the Dark lord ending of 1) has invested too much into that outcome to believe that he isn't looking to gain something from it.

It's been a while, but I think it's supposed to make fun of the covers in that the default knight set is accepted over the guy actually on the cover.

DeS has the weakest most linear and boring levels in the entire franchise, with 40% of them literally being hallways.

DeS has the most retarded, easy and boring enemy AI in the entire franchise.

DeS has the most gimmicky bosses that are 0 challenge and impossible to die to in the entire franchise.

DeS has the worst healing system in the entire franchise.

DeS is the shortest game.

I love and play all Soulsborne games and DeS is the weakest, it is surpassed by every other Soulsborne that came after it.

BB:TOHE > DAS3:TFFE > DAS:PTDE > DAS2:SOTFS > DES

Your opinion is shit and your reasons for holding it are too. Respectfully, fuck you and your shit opinion. Its shit.

You didn't refute anything I said, because you know they are true, I am right, you are wrong. Die a painful death from cancer/aids/ebola/accident, you son of a whore, son of a rape victim.

I don't have to refute shit because its shit. At the end of the day if I were to address everyone one of your shit points individually they would still be shit and your would still hold them because you have shit opinions, with all due respect.

There was no "franchise" when DeS came out, your insistence on comparing it to sequels that didn't exist at the time means your logic is flawed to the core and your opinion is, therefore, null and void.

Seinfeld is unfunny

The fact the other games improve on DeS doesn't disprove that DeS is flawed.

you shouldn't respond to bait user.

Delusional and retarded nostalgia cucked losers, how bad and depressing must your lifes be to cling so desperately to the past? DeS is a good game, but it is the weakest Souls game. This is a fact, nobody can refute this. All aspects of the game have been vastly improved by the different Soulsborne titles, DeS just can't compete with them.

Nobody in their right mind would ever recommend DeS to a new player. I've always told friends and strangers to play DeS last, it doesn't have the quality that the other games have.

Nostalgia fags should be tortured to death irl.

thanks

filtered and reported

What a shitty attitude, especially after I've been so respectful. Not at all surprising from someone with such shit opinions though. Enjoy your shit opinions I guess, I'll be over here enjoying my non-shit opinions and Demons Souls.

But all opinions are shit.

Demon Souls is the third souls game I played (Went from DaS -> DaS 2 -> DeS) and I think Demons soul's is by far my favorite of the three. It nails the atmosphere the first had while also being a surprisingly more 'arcadey' experience owing to how the world are set up and the relative briefness of them once you lean what to do. The shortness isn't a flaw in my book, because the levels are built very well to make you struggle to get to those shortcuts and then utulize them once you want to get through faster. Yes DaS would come along and refine the combat and introduce Estus which was a welcomed addition, but I think the combat and limitations of DeS work well for the most part. Encumberance never bothered me because I always just went to go see Thomas after every major jaunt, and durability just helped me burn spare souls and made me play more careful once I realized certain enemies did more armor damage than normal.

That being said you're opinion is shit and I haven't read your full reply chain but this post is really bad.

Why would I respect intellectually inferior trash blinded by their nostalgia? You can enjoy DeS, I am enjoying it too because I am replaying it right now.

its as if you ought to got back to wherever you came from kiddo
>>>/reddit/

You still assume you're the one calling the shots. Cute. This games over though, sorry kiddo. Nothin personnel.

I've noticed that people who prefer DeS either are blinded by nostalgia or have a low IQ like you, or both.

When did I criticize item burden or durability?

I criticized the absolute dogshit aspects of DeS that were nothing more than test ideas, DeS is the alpha state of the Souls formula, it intrduced and tested the concept, while Dark Souls perfected it.

The estus flask is not a welcome addition, you retarded son of a whore, it is a huge improvement a genius game design feature that perfectly fixed game balance, level challenge and difficulty, with allowing the player to decide if he wanted to make the individual levels easier or not by kindling bonfires.

DeS grass system is lazy, retarded and removes all sense of adventure and danger. Having so much healing at all times ruins the immersion and challenge.

The interconnected world of Dark Souls is superior to the fragmented DeS world. The levels of DeS are shorter, easier, more linear (hallways and tunnels) and the bosses and enemies are braindead and easy.

DeS can only be championed by bad gamers or nostalgia cucked retards. There is no other exenation, DeS is too easy, too short, too basic.

Others can see the reply and the high IQ mind will acknowledge that people eho prefer DeS are nostalgia cucked enotional retards.

My opinions are based on facts and have the highest grade of intellectal honesty and non-biased factual foundations, they are superior to those of people like you.

Nostalgia fags should be tortured to death irl.

BB:TOHE > DAS3:TFFE > DAS:PTDE > DAS2:SOTFS > DES. THIS IS A FACT.

then why don't you go back to your reddit spacing safe space where people are obligated by law to respect that pig shit ignorant fedora tipping opinion?

Oh so now it's including "low IQ" people since I just refuted the nostalgia argument (Just played DeS this year actually)

Nowhere, It's just a common complaint and I actually like it. Just felt like bringing it up, the rest of our points are addressed as well

Linearity isn't bad though? The bosses are fun though? The length isn't a problem to me though? The AI is good enough though?

Grasses were fine, the only improvement would be to throttle how many could be carried but even then I never felt like the game kept me over loaded because I didn't grind for grasses. I can see where the system got it's bad rep in the PvP realm. And Estus doesn't automatically make DaS level design better, it just forces you to go through smaller loops. The same thing was accomplished by Encumbrance, Item Durability, Grass depletion, and Miracle limits.

Basically any dungeon crawler, or similar experience, will force players to reset back to the base camp upon reaching a point of no return and Estus is just another limit.

This is an opinion you know that right? I actually like both game setups but I think DeS manages to avoid what DaS had which were "weak transition levels". A symptom of having to connect everything together. And all things being equel DeS has some of my favorite level designs with DaS being a very close second.

And DaS had plenty of bosses that were brainded or gimmicky or are you wearing your own nostalgia goggles?

Seems like you just really like to think this.

And jesus christ I left cuckchan because of shits like you. Don't you have a My Hero Academia thread to go shit up or something?

Never used reddit, never will. I don't like low IQ trash websites like reddit.

Prototypes surpass the final product most of the time.

I see, your standards are extremely low. The AI of DeS is not good enough after the AI quality of BB and DaS3. Same for the bosses, length and levels.

I am so glad that From Software ascended to a higher quality with BB and DaS3. They are never going back to the lower quality and gimmicky gameplay of DeS. Armored Core 6 and Bloodborne 2 will be fantastic, unlike DeS.

This is true, BB AI is much more complex. Cah't speak for DaS3.

This goes back to opinions again user. Level design in DeS is really solid. And having grown up in an era where RPG's used to be

found the BR again

Filter and ignore. He shits up every single Souls thread.

DaS3fag here, it ain't me.

I actually prefer DeS to DaS1, remember?

I think you meant Dark Souls fans in general.

I'm not familiar with this shill.

South American subhuman retard

jesus christ

Calm down, user.

They are just games.

Is Halfchan down?

It was for a few hours. Convenient that when they came back on the shitposter left

So much cancer.

Is the aspie gone?

seems so

Most likely, but he took the thread with him.

My computer had a hard time running DaS3 when I pirated it, so not gonna bother buying just because it's active.

Not until i can bump.

Is it possible to get Allant's gear in DeS?

No.

Would've been nice if they threw his outfit into DaSIII, or at least something similar. I don't think it would've been a problem, considering that Karla is a direct rip off of Yuria.

Man, I really want to play this and BB but that would mean getting a PS3 and PS4 just for those games. I don't even want a remake, I just wish there was some way to play DeS on the PS4.

If you've got a good PC you may be able to emulate this game.

You need to beLIEve.

just get a ps3 and ps4 for all the other games as well.

you only need one weapon, and shield. Generally to get through a level in DeS armor was effectively useless for the most part. weight just is not an issue like you make it out to be. you don't carry around multiple sets of armor, or gear just what you need and if you are so bad you have to use 99 of the best healing items you are probably going to be dead before you can even use them all. especially when you can buy infinite amounts of decent healing items from patches for like 300-500 souls a pop.

Use DSCM for DaS. It is required to get a summon nowadays. Played it again just last week and was summoned and (unfortunately) invaded at a moderate pace. The more obscure areas are going to be harder to summon/invade in, but you might find some action.
As for SoTFS, I get summons all the time. FoFG and the Lost Bastille are massive hotspots early on. DLC is always in need of help for casual players. Iron Bridge is still moderately active at 2-5m SM. Overall SoTFS is still very much active.

Demon's Souls emulation has made impressive progress but is nowhere near in a properly playable state.

We posting DeS comics now?

Only a very specific enemy drops pure bladestone user. Only the RED dual wielding katana skeletons drop it.

You can post multiple at once you know.

Also, yes.

it was the only comic I had.

Time to fill up son.

Got a few that I didn't have, thanks pal.

They were farmable off of the plague babies in the last part of the swamp. Also the giants there I think, but those weren't worth farming.

Black tendancy earned you more souls and loot, so if you could handle it it was worth the risk. White tendency was hard to get though. The only ways to get it either involved multiplayer, or killing bosses/primeval demons which of course only show up once per play. Since certain unique items required pure white it was easy to fuck yourself out of them.