Layoffs at Io-Interactive (Hitman Studio)

h.ttp://www.please use archive.ism/articles/2017/05/23/hitman-developer-io-interactive-announces-layoffs

Unsurprising since SQEX was the publisher and key source of income. All we can do at this point is pray their IPs don't end up in the hands of EA or Ubisoft.

Other urls found in this thread:

retron5.in/node/9
nonmame.retrogames.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

This is pretty sad to hear
I guess at least their last game was good and Hitman didn't die in trash

"Clearly this shows that multiple solutions and less story is a bad direction for the Hitman franchise, lets make the next Hitman game a CoD clone."

The problem they always had is that Hitman is the type of game that requires players to think, and no goddamn way are CoD kids and xbros going to devote brainpower to vidya.

Fuck, people don't even read subtitles anymore.

Kill me, fam. I want to go back to the time before gaming went mainstream.

Fuck man, nu-Hitman was really fucking good but it will likely be lost to history when SE loses interest in keeping it proped up

Thinking? That's the opposite of fun. My new plan for the Hitman franchise is to have elements from more popular games like Dishonoured and Deus Ex.
1. Map markers so you never get confused
2. Disguises take too much thought, you now have invisibility powers granted to you by nanomachines
3. Choice and consequences; deep moral questions like "Do you want to nuke this city or not?"
4. Microtransactions, is any part of the game too hard for you? Now you can pay your way to victory
5. A skill tree
6. Map design took too much work, now we'll focus on a linear experience with cinematic cutscenes
This new direction for Hitman is sure to go well :^)

How sad is it that the only "indie" dev out there making anything even slightly comprable to Blood Money is a turbo-autist and attention whore like Yandev

Is it also going to be a crossover with nuDeus Ex?

I'm not sure if you're aware, but gaming has been going in and out of the "Mainstream" since the first console generation, and the release of Pong, way back in '72. So, to go back to a time before gaming was mainstream means you'll be going back to the 60s.

Although, I'm not really sure if that's a bad thing.

I thought that was only going to happen with the movies (Along with Tomb Raider and Thief). They were planning for it to happen to the games as well?

Ach, you're correct user. I should've clarified. What I meant was, I want gaming to go back to that delightful post-80s crash, pre-Xbox 360 period.

The Golden Age.

there were always hardcore and casual games, so both could choose. normalfags played pong, serious gamers played Computer Space.
what we have a problem with is that the casual shit is squeezing everything else out of the market, with an extra layer of jewry on top souring things further.

There's nothing preventing you from still playing (And buying) games from that period. You can pretty much play almost all of the CD/DVD based games released by sticking them in your computer's disk drive and loading an emulator. Systems like the Retro Freak (First embed) and the Retron 5 (Second embed) allow for you to play titles for the biggest cartridge based systems during the 3rd and 4th gen.

Heck, today, I just received my order of Cosmic Fantasy Stories in the mail.

Sounds like all an individual or a company has to do is make a game the genuinely does appeal to the hardcore gamers, and watch all the dough roll on in.

Last I heard, after-market hardware like the Retron 5 have accuracy issues with certain games, not to mention they don't mesh well with add-ons or peripherals. Has this been ironed out by now?

I'm not talking about accessing media from that period, user; I'm talking about the state of the industry and the general disposition of the 'gamer.' I want to go back to that.

The current state of the industry makes me sick.

That's what Carbine thought they were doing with Wildstar, what Gearbox thought defective as it was they were doing with Battleborn, and what Bamco tried to do with Dark Souls 2. 'Hardcore' in 2017 doesn't mean what it did back in 1999.

"Hardcore" is a marketing buzzword, honestly all I want from a game nowadays is fun I want to be genuinely entertained, even if it's something simple or casual like Mario Kart, but even that's hard to find nowadays, I can count the number of recent "fun" AAA games on one hand

I heard that some of the issues with the Retron 5 were resolved with updates, but I haven't been paying much attention to it since the Retro Freak seems like the better system for what I want to do. As for add-ons, it depends on what you're doing, and this applies to both systems.

retron5.in/node/9
Hmm, the list here is disappointingly suboptimal. Personally, if I'm playing on real hardware, I'd expect nothing less than 1:1 closeness with the originals (see nonmame.retrogames.com/ for the closest thing software-wise). I'll look into a Retro Freak, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hitman is boring shit so whatever.

This is new to me, but ok.

Post /mu/

Kill yourself

The problem is that they straight up stole emulators that are supposed to free. Anyone buying retron is cancer.

This is a blessing in the sky.

Maybe I've always wondered what a dev like Rockstar could do with Kane & Lynch, seeing how they have a massive hard-on for heists and michael mann.

Assuming of course they're still interested in telling stories and not just just selling shark cards.

square is selling the devs, so the next hitman(if there's one) will probably go the absolution approach again

what

Not good. Absolution was really underwhelming.

I've come to realize that at least a lot of them are. Fags are asking IO to include cross dressing as an ability for 47. Like it wasn't sufficiently pozzed, they want to make it full on faggot simulator

In that pic, they're actually checking that the guy is a kike.

The problem they always had was attaching Hitman to shitty practices and gimmicks.
Blood money sold really well and Absolution sold even better.

I'm surprised Square Enix (apparently) spun IO off. I assumed they would just shut IO down. The important issue is who retains the rights to the Hitman trademark for future games. I assume it's Square Enix; if so, IO is fucked.

I think he means "blessing in disguise."

it is square's ip, so IO and hitman are fucked

They could call it Contract Man, and change 47 to 48