Yume Nikki

For those who havent played it yet.

Yume nikki (dream diary) is a exploration game in the dreams of a young, appearently reclusive girl.
The game doesnt have much mechanisms, its mostly about exploring worlds and collecting so called effects, which to most parts are useless little graphical gimmicks.

The game has a very interesting setting which i will not elaborate.
The game has built quite a cult around it and it has had a huge effect on some people.

Its free and appearntly was made by just one japanese person.
You can download it here theneitherworld.com/yumenikki/links.htm,
if you are on linux or have an android phone you can get the easyrpg client at easyrpg.org

I wont say more, give it a try.
Feel free to discuss it but dont spoil the ending.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.uboachan.net/media/src/Yume_Nikki.rar
dic.nicovideo.jp/a/ゆめにっき派生
yumenikkifg.wikia.com/wiki/.flow
exhentai.org/g/686238/8e25858efc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You're speaking like a shill, OP. Despite that, I really am interested in this game, have been for a while.

I would hope that everyone here has already played Yume Nikki or at least have heard about it.

Op is so naive it's cute.

I think Yume Nikki deserves some shilling tbh

Y-you too

boy, it has a shit ton of fan-games and Yume-likes

I haven't, which is the best version to download?

The game is finished, the link in the OP is probably fine. Don't expect a, well, game. It's about exploring.

When you boil it down, Yume Nikki is just a walking simulator.

Sucks since it's actually a really interesting and fun one to walk through..

Reminds me that the light novel translation for Yume Nikki was never finished.

I want to fuck Mado and steal all her medication

Have fun getting stabbed and shit

C U T E

I sure have, i usually don't like walking sims but this game does the job of actually exploring shit, has a good balance of spoop and comfy, plus it also (back then) surprises me with new shit that i didn't noticed at first. It's pretty deep for a free game (no pun intended) with alot of secret areas and alot of obscure shit that you have to consult to the wiki just to get know of, and it's definitely very spoopy when you go into the game blind, really helps that you were not expecting anything.
also RIP KIKIYAMA atleast now you can see that the game you have made has a dedicated following, even if your game itself wasn't finished

Technically the game is not finished, but seeing that the developer dropped off the face of earth since 10 years ago (along with the promise of 'finishing' the game) we are now left this version instead

what is the best fangame and why is it LCDDEM

What the fuck

Do we even know who actually made it?

>game

Anyone mind uploading the RPG_RT.exe file to mixtape.moe or soemthing?
jim let me post

Aside from letting you explore interesting locales and some adventure game-style interactions some effects have, what separates Yume Nikki from your average walking sim, and how can we use the information found there to make walking simulators less shit.

You know, I've always wondered, since games require a loss state, what actually is a loss state? I speculated on this before, actually. The various setbacks you find in Mario, Wario Land 2's complete lack of any death system in exchange for just setting you back, and how in some games when you fail you literally just come back at full health where you died so it's like it doesn't even matter (unless you're in it for score). That having been said, Yume Nikki does have a sort of fail state, in that you can be teleported to a place where the only way to escape is to wake up, effectively being a setback like a traditional fail state.

It's summer and newfags want to fit in.

Well in Gone Homo there is also a sort of fail state, in that if you start to sympathize with "characters" you get set on an evolution scale a few species back.
You can also interact with shit and read notes.
It doesn't make it video game.

Alright, then. What is a video game? I was going off the definition it was a game made for a computing device, and that games required a loss state.

Don't reply to snarklords you'll only encourage them.

You're a hikikomori who wanders around a fucked up weird dream world, which consists of completely incoherent and intuitive mazes. You walk around, find a bunch of stupid shit and use it to unlock more stupid shit until finally you reach the stupid ending where you jump to your death from the balcony of your high rise apartment.

There, I just saved you 8 hours.

No, that's exactly what I want.

No one gives a shit about story in games, retard. Well, no one here except the people who like Drakengard/Neir, I don't know what's the matter with them.

Yume Nikki is a walking simulator done right - in the sense that you actually have to piece the clues together yourself rather than them being blatantly thrown into your face.

** Assuming there are any clues and the entire thing isn't just a mess of forms and patterns spitballed together by a Japanese psycho.

Pretty please? with sugar on top?

Last time I checked Holla Forums didn't care about walking simulators and rpgmaker "games" either. The only reason this game got any attention is because some autistic nip made it over a decade ago and hipsters like to namedrop obscure trash to seem intelligent.

Just because Yume Nikki is better than Gone Home doesn't make it a good game.

Feel bad for you fam. Yume is zen as fuck. You should probably play it to chill out a bit.

As far as RPG Maker goes, I know people on Holla Forums like Space Funeral, and love at least one character from Uncommon Time. Heck, I sometimes see people talk about nostalgia over some crappy RPG Maker games they played years ago, although crappy flash games are a more popular subject. Similarly, Shut Up and Jam Gaiden imitates a lot of what RPG Maker does, without actually being made in RPG Maker. As for borderline cases, I forget if Off is RPG Maker or not, and Holla Forums compares it favorably to non-RPG Maker games like Undertale. As a last note, Pokemon Sage is fairly well liked here, and uses Pokemon Essentials for RPG Maker. I think some other similar Pokemon fangames have been talked about here, with how often C&D's occur.

I also never said Yume Nikki was particularly good, I said it was a step to help improve otherwise shitty games.

Not video games

You're not video games either

Wrong.

Shit I can't believe I forgot about Lisa. I should probably play most of these games I'm talking about.

To bad the guy behind the series suffered a massive meltdown after Trump got elected

Liked the first game, but the constant pointless toilet humor kind of killed the second one for me until the very last moments

His dad died to dude. I pity him more than anything.

Why do you want her meds? They probably aren't very fun

It's more likely his dad's passing, whom he based Brad on, broke him and ever since he's just lost rationality and common sense. Like the other user said I pity him more than anything.

Animal Crossing at least has game mechanics out side of walking from point a to point b.

At least something like Space Funeral is an actual game. Now, if your argument is that Yume Nikki is better than similar games in it's genre I would have to agree, but having a creepy atmosphere and nice pixel art doesn't change the fact that it's still ultimately a piece of shit and a waste of time.

The one good game made in rpgmaker proves that rpgmaker isn't a piece of trash. :^)

Yea go play it. It'll chill you out.

One?

One?

Nevermind, used archive.uboachan.net/media/src/Yume_Nikki.rar

It's also one of Bores' better reviews (that, and he also made Undertale tolerable, who'da thunk it).

I already played it fam, hence the reason I chose to warn anyone not to waste the time on it. It does nothing with it's interactivity that makes playing it more worthwhile than watching a playthrough. Though I have to be honest: uboa and the other random events are cool

For every 1 good rpgm game there are 100 shitty ones, but I will add these to my backlog, thanks

going into yume nikki blind is what makes it fun, though.

It's just not your game then. If you don't like it then you don't have to but there's nothing wrong with it unless it has something you don't like.

Same goes for vidya in general today. Nothing new.

Agreed, but that wore off after the first 45 minutes when I ran in a circle for the 100th time unsure where the fuck to go because the only thing guiding you is luck that you chose the right door. I felt it was a waste of time after I beat it. If anyone decides to play watch a review or gameplay video before you commit to it.

To each their own

fun fact: that liney pixellated looking title is the effect of using the sharpening too much over one area in photoshop

The loss/fail state in these sorts of games is a skill barrier rather than a hard stop.
The fail state is whenever you are unable to continue due to lack of skill.

Things like gonohomo have no such state since there is no skill required.

I assume by this metric puzzle solving is a skill. I also assume that Gone Home has no puzzles, or if they do it comes down to "find a specific room", I doubt they have any locked doors even. I haven't played it, or watched anything but a "speedrun" gif a while ago. I will say that Dear Ester, possibly the forerunner of the modern shitty indie walking simulator, doesn't even have interaction besides walking. In that case, the only skill being tested is how good you are at not being bored out of your mind, or how stable your power supply is.

I remember seeing a board here that worked on their own yume nikki fangame like many others kinda like how some 2ch members made yume 2kki and the cute Urotsuki. It's still being updated every now and then with new zones.

Which one is still being updated? 2kki or the one you saw here? I assume 2kki.

Puzzle solving is a hit or miss for failstates.
If it can be solved by just picking every option until you get the right one(s), then thats not really a skill thing, as it can be done just by trial and error, the only limitation being how much time you want to waste, no skill required.
Obviously having puzzle solving skills will make it faster, but if you can just try every option freely until you get it right then that really is not a real barrier.

Also, with puzzles you can usually just cheat and look up the solution.
With skill based things you cannot cheat like that.
Even if the player knows exactly what to do, that does not necessarily mean they will have the skill to execute it.

You can still cheat skill based games though. Cheating tools exist for most every video game under the sun.

You are throwing pearls before swine, OP.

That is completely different though.

A) is just looking up the solution, then solving the problem. While its cheating, it still doesnt change the game's rules.
B) is changing the rules of the game to completley circumvent the problem.

Think of it as this: You are doing a marathon against several other contestants.

A) Is looking up the best training methods and such things, to try and do your best.
B) Is getting in a car and running over the other contestants.

Alright, but there's a lot of different kinds of puzzles. While Zachtronics games like Spacechem obviously are open ended in their problem solving, if you try to brute force it you might eventually solve it, as very few things in those games have any sort of timer, to my recollection. Similarly while older adventure games are alright with letting you enter a proper fail state if you fail to solve a puzzle, modern ones rarely do. And off the top of my head, Professor Layton games make you try the puzzle again but with your score docked. I think it's probably slightly more complex than what either of us think, but I'm not a bright man so I'm not sure either way.

Not to mention any game with a seriously unbalanced dominant strategy. If you know that, all you'd need to do is execute that with barely any skill. I can't think of any particular game that broken off the top of my head, but I can think of some that come close (funnily enough, mostly RPGs).

Yeah 2kki is what I meant. Not really spooky nowadays but comfy atmosphere and music.

Not really.
You can buy a test before it releases so you can get all the answers, it doesn't make it not cheating and breaking the rules.

This has literally always been the case, in all forms of both art and craftsmanship, for all time. Vidya is not exempt, we just had a bit of luck in the late 80s-00s because some skilled people figured out what the fuck to do next. Although, the fact that there are solved, non-subjective craftsmanship elements of vidya means that people should by default know better on those bits now, yet we still see them being fucked.

I remember playing this a long time ago, at least 5 years. I recall it being boring. There's not much to do but explore the scenery. I remember there being vague images of monsters but I don't recall after such a long time. I guess I don't get it.

Oh thank god

Link for majority of the fangames+update dates. A little long because it uses Japanese characters:
dic.nicovideo.jp/a/ゆめにっき派生

As long as it's with the old soundtrack anyway. Still kind of worry about the creator, deleting all his shit and vanishing.

And how am i supposed to know that?
It was written nowhere in game.

The intro/instructions at the beginning of the game tell you how to wake up, though looking at them again it doesn't mention saving directly.

Are you fucking retarded? There are literally instructions when you start

Newfags, everyone.

Trips confirm. Fucking mongrels like do not deserve this game.

Ah it's one of those indie shit games like that Cancer Dragon game?

I have virtually no interest in people's lives or personal drama so I'll pass.

Jesus christ user fuck you, no wonder you're such a pathetic piece of shit

No, it's just some Japanese guy messing around making weird shit probably. Think more like the guy who made Space Funeral and Goblet Grotto. We don't know though, he never did much aside from post the game on his site ages ago and updated it for a while.

It's not like it's even relevant to anything that happens in the game.

Fight me faggot

Why not just play an actual VN instead of low budget indie stuff. Or is that too much reading? Or is it the muh mystery author cult secret club thing? I don't get people.

Summer indeed.

yumenikkifg.wikia.com/wiki/.flow

.flow is a really grimdark and edgy fangame made by some stinky japanese person that has an overarching story to it. While that is a recipe for fucking disaster, he does everything right with it and made a nice experience out of it. The game's much shorter than Yume Nikki, and the areas are easier to explore, so it's a nice alternative for people that don't have the patience for Yume Nikki and want some stuff thrown out there so that you can actually piece together a coherent story.

Also, your OP was good, but what if instead, Mado was raped?

There's nothing to fight or argue. You're just acting like an edgy faggot.

fucking /thread

you mean Uboachan? because that shit was like 6-8 years ago buddy.

Nah not theses guys, its a board on 8ch, you play either as a little girl in her familly's house or a poorfag guy living in a shitty appartment.

If you're gonna play Yume Nikki, play Ib as well.
If you're gonna play a GameMaker "game" play Ib as well.

Ib is great but for some reason people have problems remembering it.
I should really replay it sometime soon.

First, I mentioned it. Secondly, I specifically noted that it's not actually RPG Maker at all, despite intentionally being made like an RPG Maker game.

fuck, the only post I skipped was that one because it was long

Anyone played Toilet in wonderland?
Its a weird one.

wew

Is there any mod or fangame which combines elements of yume nikki with a game like cave story?

It's Yume Nikki so even with the spoiler you're not saying much. We have spoiler text for a reason though and the only reason you wouldn't use it is if you wanted to act like a faggot.

He is a faggot, but the game is really old now, I don't think it even counts as spoiling anymore.

Generally I wouldn't care if it had context. I generally don't understand why age makes it ok to spoil though. I don't assume people have seen everything from the 90's or earlier. Ever since an user spoiled Ghost Trick I've had no tolerance for this shit, a game might be old but there's no reason to not use spoiler text.

I love it, how imbeciles naturally learn from ANY explanation given to them. No matter how faulty the reasoning, they got the data and hold it sacred. To them, any contrary argument is DEBUNKED from now on.

So Mario fell into a pit and his lives went down 1 unit. The stage restarded, until eventually all the lives were up and the game restarted completely. And you call that a fail state, you retard?

A fail state is when the Falcons got beaten by the Patriots: the match is over, failure is actual failure which cannot be rolled back. The Falcons actually failed, there is no magic second chance. "Your" fail state is really just a "penalty": go back to start, temporarily, because of too many mistakes.

I don think they're talking about a "loss state"
The way I define a game is this: how much of it is focused on the story/"experience" and how much of it is focused on the gameplay?
Following the latter part of that; what is the gameplay? Is it simply walking or does it involve anything else?

Yume Nikki is not a video game under my definition. The focus of it is on the experience and the gameplay is simply walking and interacting with things. That doesn't mean it's bad, mind you.

From browsing this thread I've noticed a lot of new friends!

I didn't play the game but the girl is cute.

So it's a worthless walking sim but some Jap made it so we're supposed to treat it like solid gold? Gotcha.

No, you're supposed to shut your kiddie mouth and learn of actual good games. with great music

Instead of hanging out only in Overwatch and Dark Souls generals, living like a self hating normalfag who plays shit games. But it's OK because you do it ironically.

Yup, welcome to Holla Forums.

That's a lot of projection there, buddy. Are you okay?

I've known about this game for a while but never played it and so far i'm enjoying it. However, I do have a few questions. I understand it's an exploration game but is there a specific goal? So far the only one I've picked up on is getting the effects. How many effects are there per area? And i originally thought that the areas loop and warp you to specific areas am i right in that observation, or are they really that massive with little nooks and crannies spread throughout?

I really hope this is bait.

You are as blind as your smug.

You are not playing the same round of the same game again in any game that has an AI. You are playing a similar, but distinctly different version of the game, just like fucking football.

That all function exactly the fucking same

Different enemies.

RNG? Stronger/weaker weapons?

What are tournaments/twitch

I've decided that you're just an idiot, and I'm going to stop my explanation there. There is no second chance to not fail at the same exact game in vidya the same way there is no second chance to not fail at the same exact game in football.

You're missing the point. Completely.

Not at all i'm just asking about general mechanics working within the game not about everything. And i'm not expecting the game to tell me anything more than it has already i'm just the kind of person who likes to know a little extra from people who have already played it.

I'm not recommending anything user it would imply I actually cared. I'm just observing on a passing whim.

I'm not going to argue with you, because it's futile. I just want you to know that you're probably wrong, and part of the problem in making it impossible for anyone to discuss anything. I'd compare you to a SJW or cultural marxist if I had any specific examples, but I'm not knowledgeable enough on those specific topics to use that as anything but a meaningless buzzword. If anyone has examples of language destruction in a similar sense, please provide them.

by this logic games that are the same thing over and over again aren't games, like hotline miami and rhythm games.
You're a fucking idiot.

Now I'm wondering if any kind of racing is a game. I don't know much about running, horses, or cars, but I did swim for a while. I know it's a sport, but is it a game? Some rhythm games, at least the ones I've played, are a lot like races, you just keep going until you get to the end to see if you failed or succeeded.

Yep, the only real goal is grabbing the effects and then dropping them in the hub area. Outside of that there are a couple of events/dead ends of areas that take a lot of work to get to (events that happen at random, Mars area in general, anything involving the huge red maze area), that could be considered as goals. If you ever get into fangames Yume 2kki could be good, it gives you a shit ton of things to work for and dead ends that require going through multiple large maze areas.

Calm down the fuck down mate he just said that was his personal definition

I want to headpat and make love with Mado.

then post a mado doujin then user

Because it has C O M F Y as fuck soundtrack

I've been a bit fascinated by the fandom surrounding this game for a while. It's just a weird little game, and it doesn't seem so special to me, but somehow it got quite popular among a certain audience. I played it a bit myself, but got bored after a while. I like the fan stuff more. The characters in the game have zero substance, but the fans gave them some personality.

There is none.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME>

I believe the term is "meme game"?

If you're into community and people and shit I guess it could be fun.

I could've sworn memegame had an actual definiton at some time, I can't remember it anymore but I'm pretty sure it was more to do with the game being associated with the game itself than the fandom or content surrounding it.

I forgot a "not" but fuck it you get the idea

Lies
i refuse to believe this

kek. you mean yours takes more diskspace.

Its been a long time
Is impressive this is still remembered after all this years

.flow is better than YN

Faster exploration, more interesting stuff to watch and more actual story

audio quality>everything else

What benefits does using opus instead of vorbis have besides filesize?

90's MTV: The Game had a great aesthetic and soundtrack.

This shit's comfy as fuck.

Is that the vomit loli?

Yeah. I'm surprised it hasn't been posted in this thread yet.

Problems?

Filesize (while retaining quality) is generally the only reason for using newer codecs. Opus is also better suited for streaming and voice, which it was originally created for, and it has barely any restrictions on bitrate. Vorbis has better support on older machines though.

The author only used a bad version due to limitations of the service he posted it on
You know damn well that if given the chance he'd use a version that didn't sound like ass.

Never played any of the fangames, just the original. For LCDDEM is there a particular version I should play first, or should I just go with the most recent? Which version has the 'old music?'

the old music is better but you're better off playing the newest version first.

Why should I play the newest version if the older has better music?

He would've wanted it this way.

I don't remember the comparason but the newer version I think has more content and areas.
The newer version's music is still good, it's just that the older version was better.

I see. Thanks.

Ok since it was admittedly my fault for skipping the tutorial i was high and it looked like a fun game at the time i went back to it with a fresh save and finished it, but now I'm craving more.
Opinions on Yume 2kki?
Also what is your favorite place in game?
Mine has to be the room with the flute.

bump :3

And I'm not.

Yume Nikki was a good game for it's time when people found some unusual adventure game and tried to discover all of its secrets.
OP, you're a few years late to the party. There's nothing left to discuss. In fact, you didn't even try to open with a point of discussion.
What was the point of this thread? You could have made an"Unusual adventure/exploration games" thread with Yume Nikki in the OP and, though people would laugh at you for opening with such an obvious example, there would be things to talk about outside of "Well, I guess nobody played the fangames".

To hunt for rare Mado lewds.

Keep fighting for all of us.

Share them, then.

okay, I installed it, better be worth the praise. Then again, it is free, so not like I'm losing money or anything. Altho' don't some people say time is money? so I guess I do lose money?

okay, shouldn't esc button do something? because I started to play game in yume nikki and when I tried to kleave by pressing esc, nothing happened, so I closed the game via task manager. then I started again and went to the table to save. and then I couldn't leave the table, even tho' I presseed esc. what do? Am I just dumb?

Don't die yet!
Anyone have a vita VPK of yume Nikki?

You would think that, but after reading this thread I'm not so sure.

I haven't, and I've been here since the old halfchan days where people would praise steam, make emojis and some habbo shit I missed.

Is it lewd?
Link or a dump either way?

No
But for some reason it's on exhentai
exhentai.org/g/686238/8e25858efc

I know that one, it's pretty good.

Rooftop garden, closest to resembling some of the best stuff from my own dreams.

It was broken, wasn't it?

Anyone else who gets reminded of the ending theme with this?

This is where we need the drawfags. You could do a lot more with a five-armed girl.

I don't want to share my rares

What you're describing is the RPGmaker game Oneshot.

This is now a Niko thread.

And anything that's without futa?

Sorry it's not 2fast4u runnin-around-at-the-speed-of sound cheevo-farm gaymin, but Yume Nikki is probably one of the most important experiences in existence.

It's one of the rare times a developer actually understands what it is to dream. Most "dream sequences" in media are just the character's past plaguing them. But that's bullshit - people don't dream of their past. Dreams are a state of being that defy the laws of existence, an exploration of the subconscious and - more importantly - the unconscious meta-mind. Bits and pieces of one's past might float through a dream, but it is just a single thread in a vast tapestry of consciousness.

More creators need to understand this, as the reduction of the dreamstate to further shitty real world plots (usually by having the character toss and turn while the previous day's events play through their mind) ruins all of art in general.

Those who are not at home in the surreal do not make art, but rather mere imitations of life, which is never worth imitating, never mind living.

You couldn't sound more like a pseudointellectual retard if you tried.

I'm not trying to sound intellectual. The intellectual route is the realistic route, and realism is fucking boring.

Dreams are the only portion of existence with any worth to them, the rest is just banal biological machinations.

See there you go again.

I for one agree with him. I bet you don't have a very interesting mind.

We should discuss dreams.

Tranny shit halfway through, I feel embarrassed that I liked American Gods when I was younger.

Hylics is fucking amazing. I wish it was longer or had an endless dungeon. Or something.

If you liked the Yume Nikki soundtrack…

Daily reminder the comfiest experience is listening to Yume Nikki music early in the morning.