/agdg/ + /vm/ ~ Amateur Gamedev General

DIVERSITY EDITION
How diverse is your game, user? You wouldn't want any minorities to feel alienated by your game, would you?

Resources:
>>>/agdg/
>>>/vm/
Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

thenewboston.com/videos.php?cat=15
fablesoflaetus.com/
scirra.com/arcade/action-games/first-game-18025
godot.readthedocs.io/en/stable/learning/features/physics/kinematic_character_2d.html
docs.google.com/document/d/1czDbFa-1o2PT5u077vIfLILhLP0oQj8Dl5_tTYKTltM/edit#heading=h.7g9dzlr52d12
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python+libtcod
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_roguelike_tutorial_using_C++_and_libtcod_-_part_1:_setting_up
residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie
left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/The_Infected
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html
gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C-Extensions.html
slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/wine/
slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/wine/pkg64/14.2/
files.catbox.moe/t4dr1v.pdf
hal.inria.fr/hal-01230011
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/contents.html
en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cg_Programming/Unity
catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#disclaimer
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/state.html
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/object-pool.html
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/event-queue.html
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/spatial-partition.html
store.steampowered.com/app/452060/Caveblazers/
youtube.com/watch?v=bRwHpU_kcPE
youtube.com/watch?v=5yC7HwPh6Es
khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Programming_OpenGL_in_Linux:_GLX_and_Xlib
hero.handmade.network/episodes
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/articles/csharp/language-reference/keywords/index
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/articles/csharp/language-reference/operators/index
blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?260463-3D-Sound-Question-How-to-set-quot-Listener-quot
youtube.com/watch?v=bkEhtD10pX0
my.mixtape.moe/wohvmc.mp3
youtube.com/watch?v=wW4-lSpoXno
youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-iM_wVTu4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Those minorities can feel oppressed on the oven I am going to put them into.

b-but pic related.

Countries with populations of over 100 million aren't minorities. Whites are the true minorities.

Just call them colored…
wait now, it's too condescending. Shitskin would suffice.
shitskin here

Actually, I've been thinking of ideas for my next game set in my third world shithole of a country that would make it both IGF fodder ("Whoa, an interesting take on a unique culture" - Coolaid Gamesjourno) while at the same time have an excuse to commit virtual mass genocide of my insufferable countrymen, which would provide me with some catharsis.

So something with horror or an alien invasion theme, and then I would make the people stylistically ugly, so much so that even the alien creatures look more beautiful than the humans.

Since I'm enjoying Persona 5 right now, I could go with a simple JRPG with recreated city areas with fixed camera angles. So it'll be like Persona 5 but with 100X more homeless and beggars on the street, drug dealers on every corner, gangrapes in every alley. The virtual worlds the characters dive into would actually feel more appealing because they would be more stylistic and have real level design compared to the real places which violate all architectural laws. And then the guy who gifts you with all the personas would be this Aryan Ubermensch, all the long-nosed humanoids would be enemies.

So that would be my second type of game to create. My first choice would be to be a harem manager for ISIS where you go around kidnapping local women to make them into sex slaves but since I value my life don't want to be tracked down, kidnapped and beheaded by Mossad since video games are pain in the ass to create, I don't want to make something that would worsen my already low quality of life.

How hard is it to learn how to make a roguelike, like know how to insert my own ideas and not just copy other people's games? I can't code for shit now, I'm a barely deviantart tier in drawing (and even then, I prefer old MS Paint above every other program). I'm sorta good when it comes to audio, like knowing what sound effects to choose and making short ringtones. Pretty much an ideaguy, so I want to learn how to code and draw good pixel art, any recommendations on guides and online classes?

Making games is easy, not giving up before your game is finished isn't.

Where's the cowboy game?

we're here for ya famalam

t-thanks…

To learn coding basics in general i recommend JavaScript or C#. If you want to see results in 3d space instead of just line output, get Unity and go through their tutorials.
I also recommend for the basics:
thenewboston.com/videos.php?cat=15

Making my devblog, what do you guys think of it? Also posted some lore

fablesoflaetus.com/

I worked on my shit game some more
scirra.com/arcade/action-games/first-game-18025
what do you think?

If anybody wants to make a Space Deus Vult FPS where you play a space crusader running around shooting alien Not-Sarcens, I'd totally play it.

Okay, I'll be quiet now.

My instinct was to start shooting at everyone. It's not very clear that the objective is to avoid the enemies rather than shoot them.

what changed?

you can shoot at enemies, have limited ammo, can collect ammo, the momentum is lowered to nearly zero and there is a timer. I'll put a high score table in the next version, the aim is to survive for as long as possible.

maybe if I made the enemies asteroids that would make the aim more clear?

I heard about C++, is that good, or am I too retarded to learn it? I heard java is terrible for anything 3D and very resource consuming.

A more elaborate solution would be to not give the player any ammo at the beginning, make it so you only get ammo after the first obstacle so you can't shoot it. That'll tell the player that they're not meant to shoot them all.

Or have a female goat explain to you about how that's simply not how things are done in this world, and that you should strive to be a pacifist.

You're not too retarded to learn C++, and whatever you heard about Java is likely not true. Don't take other people's opinions of programming as fact until you know enough to develop your own. C# is a good language to learn, it's like a nicer Java that was unfortunately made by microsoft.

I might do both, I like the idea of having to navigate an asteroid field this could work too, everyone likes long unskipable cutscenes

Welp, I guess this is how I'm spending the next few weeks.

That's it.
I'm fucking sick of writing conversations with this one fucking character. There's no good fucking reason it should have taken me this fucking long, other than me being a lazy piece of shit.
I'm finishing it tonight. I don't fucking care how much coffee it'll take me, I'm doing it.
Hold me, faggots.

Building a compiler using Python and the WinAPI in Vim!?

gambatte!

I'm going to find the will to finally give up in 48 hours get good

Or just take the Treehouse solution and turn characters into mutes who only say "…"

Don't remind me user
I'm still mad about that

Unlike them, user, I don't guzzle cocks.

Well good luck, there's also the /g/entoomen's library and library genesis if you're looking for more tech books. Just be sure to do some self directed practice as well, books can't teach you everything.

Java → C# –→ C++

From left to right you get more features, but obviously with more features you get more complexity. Java handles a lot of stuff for you: automated garbage collection, memory allocation, etc. That also means that a lot of stuff is out if your hands, though. C++ handles almost none of that for you, meaning you have very little safety net to fall back on, and gives you access to features that are very powerful but you can easily use to fuck up your entire day, like pointers. C# falls somewhere in the middle, closer to the Java side (for instance, C# also gives you access to pointer arithmetic, but seems to attempt to heavily discourage you from doing so, and it handles memory management and garbage collection while also giving you access to create destructors).

None of them are impossible to learn as a first language, and none of them are completely useless. Each is useful for different things. With the kind of game scale you're probably aiming for, Java, even with its optimization issues, is probably fine. You're unlikely to have anything big enough that Java holds you back in that regard. Likewise, even though C++ offers you a lot more utility, you probably won't have need of any of the special features that C++ offers you that Java and C# don't.

I would recommend you learn and use C# above Java, as I believe it fills the same general niche while being a better language overall and not that much more complex, but as I said there's probably no problem with you using Java if that's what you'd prefer. There's also no problem with you learning C/C++, though as I said you're also unlikely to need the special tools they provide.

java isn't used by any of the many prebaked engines i know of, and that in itself says something (although, frameworks I've seen use java, but not full engines).
python is more common as far as i've seen.
C++ is a great language, but if you're using something like UE you'll be using their blueprint system more than actually coding in C++ by hand.
Personally, I prefer C#, but that's mostly because I prefer the syntax style; in addition to being the "middle path" in terms of features as this user mentioned

If you want to actually make a game, then choose a prebaked engine to use, and learn that engine's most popular language.
f.e. if u go with Unity, learn C#, not javascript (or called "Unityscript") as the "Unityscript" portion is in the process of being phased out (has been since 15', same shit happened to Boo (Unity's version of python)).

I'm just glad unity didn't try to make their own subset of C# that only worked on Unity.

Best engine for making a 2D platformer?

No matter what engine someone suggests, five anons will come out, giving you 6 million reasons as to why that engine is shit.
Try them all out, or elaborate on the scope on the project you want so that people have an idea what would work better for you.

Your favorite engine. Even though it is shit.

ain't that the truth.
Now we just need to wait for the Unity devs to upgrade the version of C# to the same as the rest of the world a competent garbage collector would be nice.

yup, these anons are spot on >>12619535
heroes are forgotten, but memes never die

Gamemaker would probably be the fastest. Godot if you want freedum at a slightly higher learning curve.
godot.readthedocs.io/en/stable/learning/features/physics/kinematic_character_2d.html

Nevermind, giving up already.

Back to writing Javascript pajeetcode.

I'll give you points for making your own fucking game instead of begging western devs to pander to you, but you still have to go back.

You're fucking with me. Right?

Make a Zapata western. The mexican revolution was a breddy good setting for some movies.

half USA is spic now lol.

Not for long

trumppicturekissingjewsinisrael.png

Well. Unity confirmed for poor treatment of workers. Time to wait for Godot to get C# support in a non-alpha build.
docs.google.com/document/d/1czDbFa-1o2PT5u077vIfLILhLP0oQj8Dl5_tTYKTltM/edit#heading=h.7g9dzlr52d12

That's really sad, but Holla Forums is literally triggered shitskins that know nigger English.

I have better things than argue about pol shit.
see ya.

It's moments like this that make this project worth it.

Fucking kek.

Space Hulk: Deathwing?

lol

what?

were did I mention using western literature?

have you never seen those mali mud mosques?

they look like dune shit.

I'm at my first attempt at making a full game and I'm doing a roguelike (pic related), so it can't be that hard. I'd recommend this tutorial
roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_Roguelike_Tutorial,_using_python+libtcod (in python)
or roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Complete_roguelike_tutorial_using_C++_and_libtcod_-_part_1:_setting_up (same thing but in c++)
to get a good idea of how to make a roguelike. Note that you should at least have a basic understanding of OOP before you start if you want to understand anything.

Sounds cool, what's the gameplay going to be like?

dunno, since is a story heavy game about Sundiata (the mali hero legend) dunno if I should make an action rpg but in easy rpg or unity.

but user it's beautiful! Why can't you appreciate this nice looking muslim mosque? Its says so on the watermark.

** : ^ ) **

What's the source on this? Any credibility to it?

Anyone know if there is a website where i can look up copyrighted "names" or "definitions"? For example i realized that even though there are a shitload of undeads in videogames, they are never called "Zombie" and i guess that's because of copyright issues, just like you couldn't name a mageschool "Hogwarts".

I always thought it was because of people being pretentious faggots and wanting to be different.

ww.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/search-trademark-database

You're actually my hero, I got inspired by seeing you make your game
I've partially read the roguebasin tutorial, but I need to learn the basics of a programming language so I know what I'm doing.

Thanks my dude.

You can't copyright the term Zombie, it's an old voodoo term. Searching the database posted confirms. Zombie + various things and adjustments of zombie like Zomboy have copyrights, but not just Zombie. It is like said, people are trying to be pretentious faggots and make their zombies something other than zombies.

OH BUT THEY'RE REALLY WALKERS
THEY'RE THE INFECTED
THEY'RE GREEN, FLESH EATING COCKMUNCHERS
THEY'RE DIFFERENT BECAUSE I SAID SO!

The infected one is the worst. Maybe the first time it was used (28 Days Later maybe?) it was "original", but at this point it's just as derivative. And walkers is just fucking stupid. The only good alternative term for zombies is Zeds and that's because it's not dancing around what they are.

I have no idea why everyone ripped off the 28 Days zombies, was that fucking movie really that popular?
Or you could just say "those motherfuckers". Everyone will know what you mean if their existence has been established.

It was ranked #4 at the box office when it came out so it was reasonably popular. Honestly I just think it was easier to make running zombies for most games, slow zombies require animation skill to not look like shit. Also I really think it was Left4Dead that had a huge influence on that style of zombie and the term infected becoming popular in gaming. Between that and Portal that was really the peak of Valve's influence on pop culture.

It's common in "zombie" movies to have a different names as in the film's universe zombies are not apart of pop-culture.
Therefor making what we'd consider questionable decisions more likely, as we learned what is "stupid or questionable" due to the many scenarios played out in the many films, or being ignorant to information we all know due to it being popular knowledge (don't get bitten, etc).

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead

pretty much this.
is well understood that in-world of the films, there's not such concept of zombies, because is something alien for the characters, they don't know what the zombies are.

isn't resident evil responsible for the infected thing? I'm can't think of anyone explaining zombies that way before RE.
I like the idea of zombies being made by infection better than any other explanation for them - and I don't really care what people call the zombies as long as it isn't totally retarded

Resident Evil literally calls them zombies sometimes. They happen to be infected with a virus, but everyone doesn't refer to them as "the infected", that was 28 days later and Left4Dead.

RE4 sorta had it, though they were called Ganados in that one, it just dealt with infection.

I think L4D was the one that popularized "infected".

And just to illustrate what I mean: residentevil.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie
left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/The_Infected

RE always called them zombies in manuals and the sort, and I always think of the Rebecca quote from the start of RE0 about the forest being filled with "Zombies and monsters".

RUN, JILL, HE'S INSANE

Oh Barry, you old fogy, get hip, that's a zombie.

It's not a zombie…

shit, that caught me completely off-guard
Unfortunately I don't really know where to find good tutorials since everything I've learned about programming came from college.

is the same shit in the end.
who cares.

Everyone who dies from a slow zombie deserves it. Faster moving zombies are a much more interesting threat, not necessarily running but at least "jogging" speed.

Zombies are the walking dead. Ganados are humans infected with parasites. They talk and live their lives and do jobs and obey orders, and they don't consume the flesh of the living endlessly. They share nothing in common with zombies other than they try and kill you. That's like saying "terrorist, zombie, it's the same shit in the end, who cares?"

The trick is zombies are supposed to be brick walls that hit like a mack truck and are hard to take down, plus they grab and bite you which should be a one shot you're fucked scenario. On top of all that, somehow, they're fucking stealthy because they always creep up on people. The problem is few games nail that. The only game I've seen nail slow zombies as a legit threat is 7 Days to Die and that's because it gives them a stun that equates to them grabbing you and holding you in place, plus one hit can cause infection which will lead to death if not treated. It's a hard thing to gamify. I'd do it with a slow as fuck turn based grapple engine that is lethal.

You've described a good enemy concept, however it sounds more like an earthgolem. Those kind of mechanics don't fit zombies in my opinion, considering they're just moving dead bodies.
This would be my ideal zombie:

You haven't seen enough zombie fiction then. Zombies are brick walls of human flesh. They don't care about any wounds they sustain, they take bullets (except to the brain) like champs, you can chop limbs off and they won't even notice. I can understand your confusion as some zombie fiction makes they weak and easy to tear through, but Romero-style zombies are meant to be walking tanks. Your interpretation of zombies sounds very modern and less inspired by the source material.

enginefags: Who pthreads here?

Should I make a wrapper to abstract threading and use pthreads and win32 implementations or use pthreads API and on windows link the pthreads-win32 project. Last time I used it it was OK, but not being maintained.

Doesn't seem too hard to abstract mutex / critical section and conditional vars. When I implemented multiprocessing ages ago in an bootable game that was its own OS I had some issues with my naive turn-based thread scheduling. Win32 API and pthreads API have differences I'll need to smooth out if I abstract them. If I can cope with low level of crazy shit abstracting differences between hyperthread vs multi-core & out order operations vs cache volatility, then I'm sure I can wrapper this API level shit no problem. Just want to know if pthreads-win32 did us a solid, or if it's shit.

TL;DR: should I use pthreads-win32 lib for cross plotfarm multithreading?

Vid related, you're both silly. Zombies are real my, negroes.

The reason zombies supposedly hit like a truck is the same reason some retards can do it too: no limiter on their muscles to prevent muscle damage.

Are you the person who posted about how you had
"engineitis" and that modern operating systems are not suitable for game development which is why you were starting from the IBM PC up (even though you said that our architectures are not optimal for game development) a really long time ago?

I plan on using C11 threads.h since… its the standard library, and if the standard library implements something, its probably best to use that implementation. ( I hope ) I haven't gotten to the multi-threading part yet though. As long as every target platform has a C11 implementation you should be fine.

Exactly. Zombies don't give a fuck, they will hit something so hard they will break their own limbs to get through to a human inside.

Don't get me wrong, zombies can be whatever whoever wants, but if you want to make Romero-zombies there are indeed rules. And to me, as they originated the concept of modern zombies, Romero-zombies are "Zombies" as people today refer to them.

You're forgetting SDL2's pthreads-like abstraction layer and MinGW-w64's winpthreads.

I'm pretty sure most libcs haven't implemented C11 threads yet (glibc certainly hasn't) aside from musl.

I've got a diffrent ID since I rebooted, im de3720

I know that Pelles C has implemented it, which is what I'm using to compile my program on windows.

Right now I'm porting my engine over to linux! I really have no idea what I'm doing, right now my goal is to make it compile with gcc.

However, it turns out that I was using non-standard features by mistake… writing
"int __cdecl main" is non standard, and in gcc, its gotta be different… And the macro _USE_MATH_DEFINES only exists on Microsoft compilers (and Microsoft fans like pocc, which i was using…) so I had to redefine M_PI, and add more things to the list of things you need to define to build the program correctly.

right now its __SIGMA2_ prefix'ed things like:
VULKAN_ENABLED, DEBUG_MODE, POCC, GCC, WINDOWS, LINUX

I've got no idea how to take screenshots on linux. I'm running the latest version of Slackware AFAIK

I think I remember you.

That is exactly the opposite of what most game developers will tell you. Here's a quote from Mike Acton, engine director at Insomniac when asked if STL and Boost should be used for gamedev:
There's a gaming-specific alternative named EASTL ( open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html ) but even that is often not the ideal solution.
Note that this is all unrelated to whether threads.h is good or not, I don't know. Just wanted to point out that the STL is often bad.

Rebooting doesn't change your ID, only IP changes.

yeah, I'm really just talking about the C standard library… which is sane… I'm not at all talking about the STL or C++ in any way. I thought it was clear since I wrote C11 and not C++11

I cant at all defend using things like the C++ standard library or java which just implement all the data structures for you.

Slackware is not exactly the best choice for babby's first Linux, assuming it's your first time dealing with Linux. M_PI and other constants are defined in math.h or tgmath.h and they shouldn't be hidden by default if the header is recent enough. To take screenshots use something like scrot or KSnapshot.

Its not my first time with linux, I have used it before and installed it several times but I don't have the kind of experience with linux to have a "mature" competence in using it. Right now I am trying to find a text editor that is usable (i.e. like windows editors which I know how to be productive with and not vim/emacs)

M_PI is not defined in math.h in gcc and it isn't standard according to stack overflow so I just defined my own.

Right, I'm too used to having GNU extensions. They should be visible with the standard set to gnu11 or with _POSIX_C_SOURCE defined. So you could do something like
#ifdef _WIN32#define _USE_MATH_DEFINES#else#define _POSIX_C_SOURCE#endif
However that also enables the rest of POSIX features, so be mindful of what you're using. -std=gnu11 also enables C11 plus the GNU extensions, which are quite handy but non-standard.

Using Unity's built in networking system, how can I only send data near the player? They have some dumb build in shit that relies on the physics engine but I just want to send over the chunks near the player.

Sublime, gVim, Leafpad, Gedit, Spacemacs, Geany, NotepadQQ. There's a ton of choices, and pretty much all of them are more than merely "usable"

That wouldn't work either

I mean, you have to enable windows compiler extensions to use the winapi… i'll just correct little things that leak into the windows version and stop it from compiling.

I'll try this out, thanks!

Tried emacs before and it had this weird thing where it wouldn't let me use tabs my and tried to automatically indent my program. Vim doesn't have this issue but in both of them you cant cut-copy-paste like on windows. Nano has been the only editor that doesn't get in my way but its console-only.

I kind of expected that post to trigger linux users, I'm just trying to use windows text editing here since its more productive than fighting the linux editors so that they do what I want.

Notice how none of the editors you mention he recommended so I'm not sure why you are talking about them unless this is some kind of weird generalization
In which case there are pretty much no real differences between windows text editors and linux text editor
I mean they are all different but there's no generalization that can be made when comparing windows and linux editors
vim/emacs and nano are all weird exceptions that are different from standard text editors.
Personally I use sublime on both windows and linux cause i liked it better than notepad++

gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C-Extensions.html
Here's a list of them. If you want to use them on Windows, I think MinGW might support most if not all of them.
Vim and Emacs need to be configured for your individual needs for more efficient use, there's a fucking ton of features that you can customize in both. You also need to learn the keyboard controls to use them well. They both have copy and paste, but the hotkeys for them are different and they use different terms ("cut" = "kill", "paste" = "yank", "copy" = "kill-ring-save" in Emacs).
If you don't want to learn Vim/GVim, I would recommend Sublime. It's not free, but it's easy to crack, and even if you don't crack it, it just pops up a nag window every now and then. If you want to get memed on by Holla Forums, you can also use Geany, GEdit or Atom.

He said gVim and Spacemacs in his post. Really I doubt that they will give me any less problems than the regular vim/emacs.

I don't have an interest in using them on purpose…

Really, I've been trying to install wine so I can use poide, however wine doesn't work.

bash-4.3# wine
bash: /usr/bin/wine: No such file or directory

to clarify, i downloaded the slackware binary and untarred it in the root directory, I then ran the "doinst.sh" in root as well

wine is in usr/bin/ but it still says

"Failed to execute child process "/usr/bin/wine" (No such file or directory)."

Slackware has a package manager, you know. You could just download the package from slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/wine/ or elsewhere and use installpkg to install it.

Never heard of it. I just do some embedded systems / robotics work where we don't use an OS since they're too big and error prone for our team to grock every aspect of nowadays. All we need is a malloc and single application execution at boot on the factory's embedded hardware. That's very easy to achieve without an OS. Our free()s don't even have to worry about memory fragmentation since the only things that call free() are returning structs to a pool. Our application specific "OS" features wouldn't be used as general purpose systems. We don't have context switching for the most part because the application is the "kernel". Back in the day when programs booted directly off a disk everything was expected to provide any higher order OS features needed. What I'm talking about is not really that crazy. We're not abstracting software for hundreds of platforms, just half a dozen at a time.

I thought it was a shame we weren't using multi-processing to speed up some realtime calcs even though our hardware was capable. So I made a shitty space invaders game on the control display using multiproccessing to give each alien / ship its own thread / context. Each "sprite" was essentially its own little context and stack with some dedicated RAM for IPC. Colleagues were pleased with what we could pull off using a non-traditional threading model to keep tasks isolated / contained without constant context switching (not needing a full-on OS & advanced scheduling). I then ported it to another chipset to try and see if it was going to be feasible to maintain multi-processing code for all the affected hardware. We do a lot of quaternion processing renormalization / reorientation in industrial robotics - the predicted result is periodically recalibrated to match sensors on the fly for better accuracy. That means the robotic arm will slow waiting for reorientation to complete after a quick move. Turns out we can use multi-processing in a very limited way just to speed up certain operations, like reorientation, but it requires skills above traditional embedded systems programmer and that means hiring those with experience in realtime OS development to maintain the system going forward.

Making a demo/game got me interested in gamedev as a possible hobby. I made some cross platform business applications back in the day using pthreads for windows. I wanted to try my hand at making a simple engine, but prioritizing a different feature-set than most open source engines do. I took a look under the hood of a few engines saw it really wasn't that hard. Most modern engines have a platform abstraction layer as the base. Things like SDL actually expect you to pay to license their abstraction layer for use in commercial games. I could see if you were targeting multiple consoles, maybe.

IMO, it's not that hard to port between platforms if you have cross platform in mind from the outset. You only have to support the one platform initially, just as long as you don't tie down to the underlying platform.

The source code of most pthreads on windows are emulating features I won't even rely on. They're trying to make a drop in replacement with all the bells and whistles working as close to POSIX compatibility, when I just need basic shit like a mutex and cond-var, and single pointer to a batch of thread local state.

Most engines attack the problem from the single user experience then bolt on things like netwarking, so what I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes, and make a platform for gamedev coming at it from a different angle that is impervious to as much autistic screeching as I desire. Existing engine are fine, but networking is really shit in most frameworks.

Cross platform is not hard to find anymore, so that's not a reason to make a new engine. The issue of Free Software vs permissive license isn't a good reason to make an engine since even Ogre3D went permissive license, though it has some threading issues as it was designed as a single thread application.

Seems like the main reason to make a new engine today would be to provide a base for good networking / multi-player. So, that's what I'm doing. It's actually a much different problem than most networked applications have too. There are different expectations and priorities in games. The focus on real-time performance and synchronization aligns with the goals work-related projects, so maybe I'll be able to pull another ace out of my sleeve at work by fucking with some more gamedev.

sage no-progress blogposts

Not at all working, im on 64-bit slackware install which it doesn't support.

okay, I confused you with another person who seemed similar. He wrote an enormous blogpost on /agdg/ about this at one point.

I haven't started working yet since i'm still completing a degree but that is the kind of work that I am trying to get into.

I am writing engines because I think its more fun than making games and I'm learning about things.

Why do you fucking do this to yourself. Try this:
slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/wine/pkg64/14.2/

How the fuck do you figure a freely available open source LGPL or ZLIB library is charging for commercial use?

It just says "32 bit or 64 bit?" on the cover

I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

I remember reading the EASTL dev article (before EA open sourced it) where they went in detail explaining why they chose to re-implement STL and how they could improve on memory allocation systems, esp. for debugging purposes. Can't find the article specifically. Now all the searches come back with links to source code and pro-EA news about muh open source.

They also had similar ideals to my own when it came to memhorny management. Which is that C++ and its general purpose libs are shit for high performance real time systems. Not that I expect indie devs to run up against efficiency limitations, but it's truly appalling AF what's happening at the low level because we C++ is trying to be so damned cross platform it doesn't even want to nail down that bytes are 8 bits. That argument is long since settled, also Little Endian dominates to the point that testing for big-endian is a waste. LE should have been network byte order. So much wasted transforms, ack!

The general rule of thumb is this: When you make something for everyone, you have specifically made it for no one. This means that the one-size-fits-all management is not suited for any specifically demanding task.

That said, I tend to wait a decade before adopting new C/C++ standard. Been burned too many times as an early adopter. Hashmap > AVL > RedBlack… I'm still mad about the academics ignoring in-practice O(1) performance and not giving us hashmap containers originally. Their argument was based on worst case scenario. Which is bullshit, because no systems runs at worst case scenario, ever. Tried to say that a contrived dataset that wound up with hashes putting everything in one bucket was a valid comparison to make against redblack trees. Everyone just implemented their own hashmap, because standards are literally retarded. They finally added a hashmap impl. People adopted it, then they had to change the hash function internally because of security issues (which Perl encountered and preemptively solved decades ago), and this caused applications built with two different compilers to shit themselves. Now we still use our own hashmap.cpp just to make sure serialization never breaks again.

That said, relying on C11 threads is a perfectly sane thing to do. I just use an old compiler and upgrade slowly because I'm a crusty old curmudgeon.
Standardization is great, but when it lags behind so fucking long that it's not relevant anymore by the time it comes to market then it's doing a disservice, and has to play catchup.

tinfoil hat: What if C/C++ standards bodies are deliberately suppressing the software industry through their BS to further some crazy UN agenda against smart people? As time goes on we only have more evidence, however incidental, to support this hypothesis.

"SDL 1.2 and older are available under the GNU LGPL license". Last time I corresponded with the maintainer they specifically asked a license be purchaned:

> Sam Lantinga >

under, and would leave you open to potential lawsuits.

dynamically and statically linked binaries. The installation would
provide links to the statically linked versions, but if the customer
wanted to replace the SDL library and run the dynamically linked
version they have that option.

address any bugs or issues that come up with that transition.

I wasn't aware SDL finally got it's head out of its ass and went with a non retarded software license. I never checked back on principal. The codebase was shit, hence the rewrite.

How's this idea: a top-down melee/shooter like hotline miami but you play a riot cop fighting against rioters

I don't think zombies need superhuman strength, part of the appeal of zombies is that they are a fairly plausible monster - basicly a decomposing human with rabies. They are only really dangerous in close quarters or when they are in big numbers.

OK, but where are your cop buddies?
Squad combat?

Could also be a patriot defending the town from looters.

Make it where you can play as Clockboy and BLM rioters vs riot-police too if you want to get famous in lefty press.

yes

Don't forget to add pixel shit grafixs to make all those hipster nigger journos blush and that any indie games is required to have :^)

actual online co-op sounds hard to deal with and I like the idea of playing with one character at a time. the idea being that the mayor told the police to stand down and your character has gone a little rogue. but there could be sequences where you fight alongside AI swat/riot team members idk. Do you think it would suffer without the squad/co-op features you are describing?

Holy fuck.
It's two a.m. I'm four coffee cups down.
I have only one more conversation left.
And I saved the best for fucking last.

It's so meta, even this acronym.

Yes, exactly. I agree. This is why I'm making an engine hopefully to make co-op easy to deal with.

I don't think it would suffer from single player only if you're adding something new beyond re-skinning Hotline. If you have rioter enemy AI, it probably wouldn't be hard to re-purpose it for a few cop-buddy allies.

You could have tag-along cops that get slaughtered by rioters. Or maybe you could inspire citizens and other cops to disobey orders and fight the rioters. Shouldn't be hard to design if you look at it from the standpoint that the buddy cop AI will be dumb and you'll be far better at staying alive than it (since rioters will be dumb compared to human, and you'll easily out perform them or it wouldn't be fun).

That is to say, the fellow cops are not the player's equal so you can discover mechanics that play off this disparity. One obvious example: Escort N cops from point A to point B. They wouldn't be helpless but would certainly not make it without the player. So, then you need simple commands ala Oddworld: Wait here, follow me, attack!, etc. You could start with N cops at the start of an area, or after you free them from being pinned down.

A simple AI with weighted state transition trees can do fairly complex things while being pretty easy to code.

inb4 icon for ants

You're right, I think I can manage to code Cop AI that would be interesting. Another idea that comes to my mind is that maybe the start of a level has you in a line of riot cops with their shields deployed, and if you move as the player, the entire line of cops moves forward to push the rioters back. This happens until your ranks get broken up and all hell breaks loose.)

I'm glad it seems like a interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I just happened to have GIMP open, so I resized it 4U.

Now it's time I stopped procrastinating and made my own sauerkraut . Someday I'll be a real germandev too.

The slot for the icon is very tiny, no need for high res version, but thanks anyways

I'm trying to think of the best way to do sliding in my FPS.
I already have starting a slide figured out. If you are running and crouch, you are boosted to top slide speed and gradually slow down to normal crouch walk speed. My problem is maintaining and exiting a slide.
To stay in a slide, the way I used to have it is that you would just need to hold down crouch to maintain a slide. Even if you aren't holding run or forward, you will still continue to slide until you slow down to normal crouch walk speeds, at which point you stop. But if you stop crouching you stop moving and stand up.
The way I currently have it is that the player doesn't need to hold down anything to maintain a slide. Once you start a slide the only way to break out of it is to jump. Because crouch jumping is in the game that means the jump will be extra high. This is a bit of a problem because I know that getting really high into the air isn't always what someone wants when they were just as low to the ground as they could be half a second ago.
I'm currently adding in a way to let the player slide over a low obstacle like in gif related by dodging into it (which is done by double tapping a direction). When the player enters this slide they probably won't be holding the crouch button, or any button for that matter.
I changed the slide because I want consistency in how the player exits a slide. If they enter a slide by dodging into a low obstacle they shouldn't exit that slide differently than if they do a running-crouch slide. If I revert back to the old system the player would exit an obstacle-dodge slide by taping the crouch button, which feels tacky and is inconsistent with already having the crouch button held and just releasing it.

Any ideas on a solution?

The bases of the aiming system have been implemented, which means that ranged combat is almost there. For now it's only used to look around.

Tap crouch again to stop sliding?

Not sure what you mean by this.

You know what's weird?

Why doesn't anyone ever just trip and fall over shit in FPS? All that heavy gear, brisk footwork, and concentrating on anything but your feet…

Tap crouch slide while running. Tap again to roll to a prone position (static crouch). Tap again to curl up in a fetal position and REEEEEEEE!

Maybe if you tap crouch while spinning you could fall over. Keep spinning to roll on ground like a kielbasa. Tap crotch again to go spread eagle.

Press reverse direction to stop sliding?

I'm fucking done, guys.
It sucks, but for spoiler reasons I can't show it off much, but I'm fucking done at last.
It's been two months (minus a day), and I'm finally fucking done with the conversation map.
A whole one of them.
Out of thirty.

Yeah, I took my fucking time. It was my first one, and probably the longest, most expansive one at that, so the others should not take nearly as long.
The first few convos gave you a lot of freedom to explore the boards on this website, whereas with the later ones, there was a more elaborate story, which is why they seem more baren later on. Getting there at all depends on prior choices as well. But each conversation was never meant to be long. It's why there's so many of them in such a short game.

As a sidenote, I can stop shitposting on namefag boards for research now. That's a fucking godsend if I've ever seen one. I've never seen so many fucking junkies, trannies, cucks and furries in one spot.

I am so fucking tired.

Thats good, since all this fatigue means you spent a lot of energy towards progress and if you are like me, towards your dream
Keep up the good work

The player enters the same kind of slide but in a different way. Because the state of the keyboard is different depending on how the slide is entered you may not be able to exit two of the same slides in the same way. I don't want that inconsistency.

I'll try these out and see if they feel nice.

Tap again to curl up in a fetal position and REEEEEEEE!
Don't tempt me like that. I already have enough on my plate without adding an autism button.

what do you think should be added to the standard?

My olny problem is that even though we have nice things added to the C standard (multi-threading), the actual implementation of these new standards are so low that even if the standard was evolving faster, nobody would be able to use the new features. A "no-name" compiler like pocc is more up-to-date than cl (Microsoft) is in terms of C support (which still only implements the few C99 features that are compatible with C++).

I don't really bother with C++.

Which has better performance? Slerp or lerp?

What should be added? To C? Well, If I'm going to day dream I'm going to dream big: Optional run-time type Introspection and hooks for the macro system to enable meta programming. I also want to be able to define such a macro / function that is called to optionally transform each line of text before it goes through the preprocessor. That would basically be it for me. The problem now is that there is no type introspection if I want to iterate the members of a struct to build some advanced programs, I can't do that unless I write my own C type interpretor and processes sources myself.

With runtime macro functions you could write functions that are compiled and linked against the compiler itself, and then called at compile time like you do macros in order to modify the effective source. Those compile-time functions would be able to interface with the compiler and manipulate symbol space and type structures prior to compiling the source file. Do that to C and then all the langdevs who implement their languages and scripting systems in C would be in heaven. We would see an explosion in new language development, not to mention scripting languages would be able to tightly integrate with C by adding syntactic sugar on the fly. Right now I have a pre-processor that's called by the build system to pre-process the C source files. Don't want to use such features – don't. It would be zero additional overhead in code that doesn't use such features, everything stays the same.

I would actually push for removal of a lot of crap from the standard. It's hard to make competing compilers because there's so much crap you have to code besides the syntax and standard lib just to make a compliant compiler. My point is that things like a library for handling complex numbers shouldn't be in there. That's a math lib which would be better as a separate stand alone. There are many sections of the C standard that seem likewise superfluous. We're wasting too much time debating in standards meetings, usually between big players like IBM and MS puppets, over inclusion of some academic pet project rather than making the language better.

C++ has gotten around to adding a lot of things we were begging for for decades, such as the hashmap and standardizing on multi-threading. I'd like to have a forwards compatible serialization system that's not shit. Serialization and concrete / fixed width types is one of the reason Java is still used so much in enterprise.

Boost has done wonders for C++ standardization since it allowed us to pool our collective efforts while the standards body drags ass. There's still a lot of room for improvement at the standard level though. I'd want memory alignment friendly containers. Actually, I just want to replace STL implementations with something that doesn't run like a dog.

I found one paper on EASTL. EA totally remade STL because the standard version sucks for gamedev.
open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2007/n2271.html
Still haven't found the one with pretty pictures going into detail about how they designed the various allocators.

A custom memory manager is the rule, not the exception, in high performance systems. In C I'd like a way to request whole pages of memory. This way I could optimize my memory management on page boundaries, rather than having some structures span page bounds and require double cache miss for that boundary condition.

Let's say I have an allocator strategy where I want to be able to arrange data such that masking off the lower bits of a pointer will give me the address of the memory management / record keeping structure. For example: if a pointer reads 0x8aaa1238 then mask off low 16 bits to get 0x8aaa0000, and that's the address of the record keeping structure which will allow me to free 0x8aaa1238. How the hell do I tell malloc that I want a page of memory that starts with the lower bits all zeroed? I don't. I reimplement malloc() and call sbrk() manually.

There are OS specific tricks to do so but since it's so common for any real-time performance heavy code to do this, it should just be in the damn standard. We've been begging for that for over 30 years. Instead, we just go ahead and totally replace malloc() and use OS specific kernel. It's quite silly though because it's such a trivial thing to implement from the language side, but from the application side it means we have to write platform specific code just for this one damn feature.

The OpenSSL Heartbleed bug was caused by shitty object pool implementation. Perhaps add one to the standard so that every damn project doesn't have to implement one.

What program did you use to map it and export it so neatly?

C with metaprogramming seems like such a fundamental change that it should be a different language.

One question; i'm on the fence about using C11 threads, or using OS-specific threads.

Is it a better idea to use win32/pthreads instead of C11 threads?
I don't have experience with threads at all but I do understand win32 API.

I have successfully had sigma 2 compile on linux. However… I haven't actually implemented ANYTHING from sys_win.c over onto my new sys_linux.c, its jut a bunch of stubs, so obviously it segmentation faults immediately.

Violet UML Editor.
It's note exactly meant for the purpose, but hey, if it works…

As a Trans-black, I think this is appropriating my culture.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were C JIT's out there that let you do that.

It sounds easy, but it becomes nontrivial when multi-threading is brought into it. Object pools exist for performance reasons, so a one-size-fits-all approach does not work here.

I actually have several different object pool objects in my project because of this.

I spent today researching the topic. My research supports the "never adopt early" rule of thumb: I'm not using C threads until the standard unfucks itself. As usual this should be taken with the caveat that "I'm making a game engine" means we threw away the "best practices for business programming" a long time ago.

It shouldn't have mattered which you use (C11 or pthreads) inside your sys_linux.c, since C threads should have been a thin wrapper over POSIX function calls*. It should matter which you use inside your sys_win.c though since the C11 implementation is necessarily built atop win32 threading, and the OS implementation differs enough that C11 code has to do more jiggering and have more overhead to make it work.

*but they fucked up the threads standard so that making a POSIX compliant threads.c which conforms to C11 is literally impossible, WTF.

That said, C11 threads are still much closer to pthreads than win32 threads. There is a 1:1 mapping of structs / functions between C11 threads and POSIX threads (it was supposed to be that way). The reason is so that on POSIX systems we could simply replace pthreads with standard threads.h, i.e., implement threads.c according to POSIX specs and have stdlib interface the OS directly, not needing pthreads.

However, the way that C11 threads was specified, too loosely in some places putts me off. The performance between implementations is not consistent. Win32 threads and pthreads outperform C11 threads in every respect.

My primary rationale against C11 threads is to avoid the additional overhead. I will be creating a $HIT_LOAD of threads mostly to crunch this one weird simulation CPUs Hate, and also to monitor file and network sockets. So I'm going to eat the maintenance overhead myself. If you're not creating / destroying a ton of threads it shouldn't really matter which you go for. I'm talking about spinning up 500+ threads at a time in pools.

Also I'm making an actual engine, not a general purpose framework for making engines, so I have zero extra overhead for my cross platform impl. I won't create wrappers, I'll eat maintenance rather that provide xplat_createThread() and xplat_mutex(). Research reveals gamedevs/modders should not ever have to worry about concurrency, period. They suck at it, and it's silly for me to let them deal with synch bugs in gamelogic. For my internal use I'll just code to lowest common denominator and break out win/*nix sections in whatever-win.c; I'm calling native thread functions directly. YMMV (you probably want wrappers).

One incredibly braindead retarded thing I saw off the bat is that C11 threads return int instead of void*. Like, holy shit, how are standards orgs real, did they close their eyes to pic that from a hat? Threads should return a void pointer to return a batch of processed data. C11 would require us signal the main thread to pass it data, rather than just return. I guess this behavior mirrors the badly behaving win32:

Derp! You don't want to return execution dependent values from a win32 thread, in case the value happens to be 259 (units processed, or whatever), basically making meaningful return values useless. Since MS's retarded GetExitCodeThread() returns BOOL, it uses the out LPDWORD lpExitCode for both the thread return code and OS error codes. It's like actual morons designed this shit. Could have returned a DWORD which contains success/fail and OS thread status codes, and left the actual thread ExitCode unmolested, but nope, even that would be too smart.

Many applications would get a performance boost doing things a more POSXIY way since they wouldn't have to have a criticalsection the size of muTexas just to return a batch since the thread join synchs anyway.

There are currently several defect reports against the C11 thread standard citing its many flaws. This is par for the course with newly minted C/C++ features. The standard looks on its way to improving (MS shoes will be removed from gears), unfortunately this may potentially pollute the namespace with deprecated functions (which will be the biggest argument against changing things, and a giant FU to the POSIX world). For the forseeable future it looks like win32 threads and pthreads are going to trounce C11 threads.

Politics is why I hate these design by committee clusterfscks.

Here's one report from 2015 which has lots of issues that are actually being considered, so hope is not lost.
files.catbox.moe/t4dr1v.pdf

C's threads won't suck forever, but shitting the bed early is typical of the C/C++ standards bodies. Sometimes they dump crap on us just to get it through the committee so we can start improving from somewhere.

Shit, just realized where I am. Here's the sauce for that PDF if you were worried it might be some shady shit.
hal.inria.fr/hal-01230011

protip: Use a VM for browsing, or dev on a separate machine, you don't want to be famous as the dev who gave users malware after it had infected the games you just like make.

I have a question.
I have checked out the generals and would really like to get into dev. I'm kind of alright in Java but I feel like the Unity tutorials are really specific.
Does anyone have any recommendations to get into vidya programming? I don't really care whether it's a start in modding or in proper dev.

They're generally specific because one knows what they're trying to create, and one only needs to know the specifics of what they're trying to do.
So it's a good idea to have a solid goal in mind (create a pong clone f.e.), and look up material related to this; or even look at one of the official unity tutorials for creating a demo game.

It depends on what kind of scale you want to gamedev.

If you just want to fuck around a bit, start with modding.

If you want to make a small game as purely a hobby, learn how to use an engine like Unity, Unreal, etc. and build something on top of that.

If you want to go commercial, learn to properly program first. There's plenty of programming exercises on the internet to go around, as well as books to learn from.
After you learned how to program and have some understanding of what goes into building all the engine stuff, you can weigh off the decision of what engine exactly you have to use, how you'll build your game code on top of it, etc. and take a proper structured approach. It might also be the case here that you're best off using a self-made engine if you desire features that aren't available in other engines.

How contrarian are you?

I want to git gud, not just barely be able to make what I envision.

I am studying IT but it'll take some time to get to where I want to be. i#d like to start now and improve already. Know any, more specific, resources?

it's an /agdg/ thread u dingus, and an on-topic question; so of course

Well, maybe telling me where you want to be would help?

What kind of projects do you want to work on? What kind of role do you want to have in those projects? etc. etc.

Modding is usually harder than game dev.

There's many different ways to "get into" vidya dev, enginedevving with C++ and OpenGL is a completely different world than using Unity, for instance.

I guess the questions back to you would be; do you just want to like get game made or do you want to learn proper programming, how big of a game would you like to make, are you interested in 2D or 3D, and why do you feel Java isn't enough?

I want to be a programmer. Again, I already have a good amount of programming experience. I was also part of a couple of tiny vidya projects (nothing commercial).

While I think my first proper game would be 2D, since 2D seems easier to do than 3D, I would actually like to understand 3D as well.
I was thinking that a grid based first person dungeon crawler would be a good exercise to learn 3D.

free time is an illusion
all hope is lost

There's a bunch of routes you can take here.
If you like enginedev, then you could look into C/C++ and SDL. SDL is very easy to use, and C is much closer to how computers actually work. C++ is industry standard stuff.
After slapping together something simple for practice, you can then broaden your skillset by specializing in things like graphics (OpenGL), networking, multi-threading or physics.
Some of these skills (networking and multi-threading) are widely-applicable in the programming industry, thus also serving as an addition to your resume. Graphics isn't nearly as common, because you really don't need hardware acceleration for anything beside games or video.

If you don't care about engine-dev and just want to get shit done, then grabbing Unity or Unreal might be your best bet. You'll have to learn the appropriate languages and build from there.

"I want to be a programmer" is still pretty broad. Enginedev is better if you want to be a programmer in the general sense since some skills can be used outside of gamedev, but just learning how to use an engine is better if you want to push out products. Of course, those products are limited by the engine limitations. It's a trade-off that you make for not building your own engine.

totally lifted from sand nigger culture

Why fail them in the first place if you're going to redo them? That seems genuinely retarded to me.

Alright, seems fair. Thanks, user.

Ah, well then it's best to go down the 2nd to last route that this user suggested
I'd recommend that you practice C# enough to the point of that you're confident. Take a course for the fundamentals of programming, and go from beginners, intermediate, to advanced courses (a site with professional teachers is lynda.com, not sure about other sites for C# training).
They will take you through all of the shit you need to know for understanding what you're doing, and everything from algorithms, conditionals, data structures, loops, functions/methods, to stuff like memory allocation, threading, and what a programming paradigm is (such as OOP -> object oriented programming).
Do all of the examples/"homework", and git gud at C# (even if it's confined to the console/window of VS, it'll be worth it, you'll be leagues ahead of the common pajeet using Unity).
Take a gander at the book "C# in Depth" for reading when you're away from the pc (note: you only need to look at C# 3.5 features and below, as that's all Unity currently supports).

After this, you can dive into a game engine, and apply your knowledge; to an extent you'll be able to intuit how shit will work (all u will need to learn is the API).
However, there will be certain things that are worthy of keeping notes for researching when this time comes (if u really want to git gud at all things vidya related to programming).
Research the programming paradigm/pattern used for Unity, which is ECS (most commonly called entity component system, or called: "component-entity-system", or "component decoupling pattern"). You'll start to understand how everything in the engine is structured, and why.
Also, a good programming pattern site to bookmark:
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/contents.html

However, re-iterating the point above for learning Unity's API, follow some of the Unity official live tutorials; they're generally very professional and explain everything so you'll get a solid foundation of understanding to spring from.
Such as learning the basics of the UI, physics system/components, and the various other important systems + relating components.
After reaching this point I'd recommend that you spend your spare time away from the pc dedicate it to watching the various unity GDC/unite presentations.
As there's some real hidden gems of knowledge in those presentations.

Next, I'd recommend to learn shaders, and the various stages of said shaders (directX docs are a good place for learning the stages).
The most important being the vertex, and fragment stages of the shaders; a good resource for learning: en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cg_Programming/Unity
A good basis of knowledge for shaders can also be found in the nvidia CG docs, GPU GEMS, SIGGRAPH papers, and GDC presentations (related to shaders of course).

With this foundation of knowledge you'll be able to make pretty much anything you want with the tools Unity provides, but of course the biggest factor will be time.
Anything not provided by the engine can be built ontop of the engine, but of course this will require additional layers of foundational knowledge; which you may or may not have depending on your expertise.

because familly will disown me if i don't at least pretend i'm trying to fix my shit

Just gets asked so frequently should probably be some standardized links to beginners tutorials somewhere…

If you want to git gud then I would actually not worry about what you envision at first at all. Start incredibly small with ideas that are not yours. You'll generate ideas in the process, don't worry. Gamedevs have more ideas than time to implement them. There's a progression of little games I used to make when I was learning new coding platforms as a kid. Just pick a language and platform, doesn't really matter which so long as the lang isn't crippleware. You could pick Java. Java2D is actually not that bad for gamedev, and the audio API is more mature than HTML5.

First you're going to make a higher / lower guessing game. CPU player picks a pseudo random number. Player has to guess what it is in N tries. CPU tells whether each guess too low or too high. This sounds dumb, but it will teach a few essential things:
1. most basic Input (though it'll be terminal readline)
2. basic output.
3. the game loop. Start, play, continue, exit.
4. Game design. Depending on the numeric range there is a sweet spot for number of guesses that will actually be fun.
5. Your compiler / editor setup – This is basically the gamedev version of "Helloworld".

Next its time to expand on that and make graphics. So then pick your graphics API. On Java I'd go with Java2D, or one of the OpenGL frameworks (not Java3D, that shit is gay). Now you're going to make Pong. Pong is simple but realtime. It has an animating ball bouncing around, mouse / track ball / keyboard input. Not too hard collision detection, but more advanced than you might think. There's more game state to track. Don't skimp on the "english" mechanic which gives curvature to the ball as it gets closer to the opponent. That's the magic wot makes pong fun.
This will teach you about real time input, a render thread separate from input event pump / loop. You may even want a menu to quit the game or start over. That'll teach you about input contexts (abstracting your input and gameloop from game logic – different renders and logics to control the menu vs game). Also try adding at least one sound effect of the paddle hitting the ball. Then you have all the core components of video game development.

Next is Tetris. This has more gamestate than pong, and a more complex collision model. There are many rotation systems to pick from, will yours T-spin and have good kicks? I'd also add music here and a high score table for some persistent state. You also have simple non-animated graphics to load display or at least more colors.

Next is space invaders. More gamestate, you have enemy AI, and 2 frames of animation for sprites. More complex collision detection. Def need image loading and display. You might add more than one weapon.

Next is back to the pong base and turn it into single player brickout. This is about the same gamestate per level as space invaders, but now you need a level editor and level storage format to save the different patterns of levels. Try to add some powerups, esp. multi-balls.

Next is pacman. This will give you a bit more AI work and you'll learn path finding on a very simple map. You could even use the level editor to make different levels than just one. Still no scrolling yet, so the editor is simple. Don't forget: Pacman has cutscenes.

Next you take the level editor and adapt it back to the Space Invader codebase. Now you have the tools to make a shmup like Galaga. This is where you can start showing off some uniqueness too. I wouldn't worry about making the prior games too polished, but practice making the artwork and animation look good for galaga if you haven't with any prior games. I'd add a particle engine too for explosions. learn some interpolation tricks to make things "juicy". There will be special zones and enemies with complex paths so the editor will get more complex. Gameplay will also be harder to tweak / balance out. esp. if you add more powerful weapons and enemies.
1/2

(cont)

2/2
After Galaga make a platformer like mario. By now you'll have the hang of sprites and can make more complex sprite animations. Here you'll add a save game / load game, and possibly even some basic networking gameplay. Serialization can be a real bitch for a beginner so focus on that and get all the bugs out. You had a simple particle engine, but now extend that and make everything from clouds to volcanoes, fireball trails, laser paths, blood splatter, etc. Learn about parallax scrolling. The enemy AI will be even greater variety. If you go all out and make this game custom not just a clone you can probably get it on steam – if you didn't already get the shmup selling a few copies. You'll learn some basic marketing and start a dev-blog, but learn not to be too verbose or too quiet. Remember: You only get to make a 1st impression once. Here is also where you might have complex logic trigger / actions and scripted events. Don't worry about scripting unless your chosen lang is a scripting lang like Lua or JS. Instead have a function pointer or Action object that gets assigned to triggers for special events.

Notice that none of these core gameplay mechanics are really yours, unless you really go to it with shmup or platformer. They're all time tested and existing genres and mechanics so you can focus on DEV. In gamedev you will mostly be making other people's ideas – even if that other person is the you from last month who you think is stupid now, you'll need to learn to tough it out and just like make game; Not quit and restart a million times because you had a better idea.

Once you've made the platformer if you haven't made networking we're going to do that with Netwokred Asteroids (simple graphics and mechiancs so you can just focus on netcode). If you already made networking you can skip asteroids, unless you want to make it a special stage in the shmup just to play with its mechanics. Don't spend much time on this game. It's important to learn pacing in games. Not just in gameplay but also development. Too long on a series of big projects you'll be aching to get a small project done and complete, something to look at. Look up the pacing curve. Apply it everywhere.

Now you've got a (probably tile based) platformer toolset and you've got smooth scrolling screens, you're ready for some tougher gamedev. Here you can graduate to 3D and make a simple FPS in single maze. Or if you want to get into character development and plot, you go for a RPG. You could also do an RTS for simulation + netplay, or a Roguelike to play with large mechanic systems. See: Brogue. Whatever project you pick you'll already have experience under your belt, and now you won't be butchering your precious in the learning process. If you learn a real programming language (not gamemaker) then all of your skills will be transferable. don't worry about the platform you start with or the language. Once you learn one you can pick up another easy as pie, so long as the lang you pick is a general purpose one that can be used for regular application dev.

Also: Ask smarter questions.
catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#disclaimer

I wouldn't have replied, except I'm going to screencap this and save it for the next one who asks the same exact question tomorrow and the next day, etc.

Will second C# in Depth by Jon Skeet.

It's not for beginners and it doesn't explain how to do things. It instead goes over the major features of C# version by version and explains why they implemented those changes and their design goals with the language. It helps to give you context to the C# language and a deeper understanding of it, but again, does not teach you its features proper

I would suggest making a small 2D game on C# to start learning it, since you already know some Java it will be very easy to get started before going to Unity.

I've been rewriting my win32 code into Xlib code. Its far, far cleaner and easier to get things done with this window system.

With Xlib:
void sys_getdisplaymodes(sys_t *sys){ uint32_t screen = DefaultScreen(sys->disp); XRRScreenSize *xss = XRRSizes(sys->disp,screen,(int*)&sys->vidmode_count); sys->vidmode_list = calloc(1, sizeof(vidmode_t)); for(uint32_t i = 0; i < sys->vidmode_count; i++){ sys->vidmode_list[i].width = xss[i].width; sys->vidmode_list[i].width = xss[i].height; }}

With win32:
void sys_getdisplaymodes(sys_t *sys){#define compare_DEVMODE_to_vidmode( prev_mode, dm )( \ (prev_mode.width != dm.dmPelsWidth || \ prev_mode.height != dm.dmPelsHeight || \ prev_mode.bpp != dm.dmBitsPerPel || \ prev_mode.refresh != dm.dmDisplayFrequency) && \ dm.dmBitsPerPel == SYS_DESIRED_BPP && \ dm.dmDisplayFrequency >= SYS_DESIRED_REFRESH)#define convert_DEVMODE_to_vidmode( dm,mode )( (vidmode_t){ dm.dmPelsWidth, dm.dmPelsHeight, dm.dmBitsPerPel, dm.dmDisplayFrequency, mode, } ) DEVMODE dm = { .dmSize = sizeof(DEVMODE), }; sys->vidmode_count = 0; vidmode_t prev_mode = {0}; for(uint32_t i = 0; EnumDisplaySettings(NULL,i,&dm); i++){ if(compare_DEVMODE_to_vidmode(prev_mode,dm)){ sys->vidmode_count++; prev_mode = convert_DEVMODE_to_vidmode( dm, 0 ); } } sys->vidmode_list = calloc(1, sys->vidmode_count * sizeof(vidmode_t)); uint32_t vmlist_place = 0; prev_mode = (vidmode_t){0}; for(uint32_t i = 0; EnumDisplaySettings(NULL,i,&dm); i++){ if(compare_DEVMODE_to_vidmode(prev_mode,dm)){ prev_mode = convert_DEVMODE_to_vidmode( dm, i ); memcpy(sys->vidmode_list + vmlist_place++,&prev_mode,sizeof(vidmode_t)); } }}

Night and day diffrence

I will probably take the hit and use C11 threads since multi-threading is new to me. Maybe when I know what im doing i should use pthreads / win32. I only plan on spinning up a few threads so I can use all the cores that CPU's have now.

I'd just like to take a moment to tell you that you are a very pleasant and informative crusty old curmudgeon. Seems like not many people are that familiar with the sloth-like dicking around that goes around in the standards committees, trying to please everyone and ending up with everyone equally unhappy.

I wouldn't worry about getting too autistic about "working your way up" in terms of complexity.

Having your first game be literally pong is always a good idea. But if you're too slow to move on to shit that you really want to do, then it can feel really discouraging and make you feel like anything you want to make will always be waaay out of your league.

Just make pong, use your library's built-in primitive shapes. There, now you have player input, collision, basic AI, and rendering laid out for you.

After that, just kinda fuck around with it. Think about features you see in games and think about how you as a programmer would implement that. Then you just look into game programming patterns and open source projects and get some ideas. That's when you can start formulating your own ideas and at least TRY to put them into action. You are very likely to fail on your first 3 projects, and each iterating project will likely be in concept simpler than the last. But that's OK because you learn something from each failed attempt and you'll eventually work up to getting shit done.

gameprogrammingpatterns.com/
Good shit. I'd look into
>State Machines gameprogrammingpatterns.com/state.html
>Object Pooling gameprogrammingpatterns.com/object-pool.html
>Event Queuing gameprogrammingpatterns.com/event-queue.html
>Spatial Partitioning gameprogrammingpatterns.com/spatial-partition.html
ALL 4 OF THESE ARE BASIC ESSENTIALS YOU NEED IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING BEYOND HIPSTERSHIT PLATFORMERS

Good luck, newfags. Don't get discouraged. You can make the vidya of your dreams.

what font will you use?

Bad topology guy here, almost finished with my custom base body, please check it out, I have been using some guides posted here, yes, she looks like a nigger but that's something I can fix later, I am more interested in topology critics right now, now I only have to model the feet, mirror, UV map and then I can easily sculpt a better chape before smoothing I think it will be sub 6k at least.

Does anyone think that there are too many platformer pixel art games? I'm in a very weird situation. I began to make a pixel art platformer game, because of the 2D view that's what I like the most, and I wanna make it 2D, but I just puke whenever I see 95% of pixel art platformers today. They're all so samey, so "indie". I don't know how to describe them, they have no soul. It's like everyone it's making them because they have too.

I'm not even a platforming game fan, but that'd be the easiest game for me to make as a single person. So I hate that there are so many, I really do, and it's making me reconsider if I want to add another one to the list. Is there anyone else here working on such a thing, and what do you think about what I said?

As long as it doesn't look like a trash indie pixel art game I think you should continue with your original vision.

I honestly can't compete with san fran devs who have a team of professional pixel artists. I'll obviously try my best to make it look good, but I just can't compete against a team, graphically, since I'll do the game alone. And amongst the 95% of shit art pixel games, there have been some that had good art, but the game sucked and it had propaganda in it.

Is not about that, consider how you want it to look and feel, shitty indie devs don't even use 16x16 sprites, they use almost 8x8 and call it artsy.

Just make sure that it's fun, that the MC isn't a faggot, and that you don't use a metro-sexual color palette.
hipsters have ruined the color blue for me'

See if you can hire a literal nip to do your art.

Completely unrelated to what you posted, but this bothers me every time you do it.
Stop calling yourself bad topology guy.
It's like those faggots that put something like "mediocre" or "mundane" in their game titles.
It's blatantly saying "I'm shit, what I'm doing is shit" and, at that point, why would anyone care to play your game?
Also, at what point will you refer to yourself as "average topology guy"?
It's dumb. Why do you need a "label", anyway?

Excuse the drunk rant.

I don't give a shit if the game looks good.
Mine's technically pixel shit as well, but I borrowed the art style from the original Paper Mario, to sort of set it apart a bit.

user, pixel art is hard, but not impossible. It doesn't have to look "proper studio"-tier, no, just have decent shading, decent palette, decent proportions and actual detail, no matter how small the resolution is.

That, and those San-fran studios are the ones that think Undertale looked acceptable.

Is just so they identify me, is ironic in my case because it only took some understanding of how it was supposed to work, I don't use tripcodes, in any case my "pen name" is VanFanelMX.

you'll be significantly better with pixel art if you limit yourself.
If you use a smaller palette, keep a resolution, and make sure your pixel art doesn't mixel you'll be better than 9/10 indie games.

True, true, but I am not only talking about the graphics. I'm just saying, I even look at some pixel platformers now like Dead Cell, or Deaths Gambit, or Blasphemous. Those all have graphics that I will not achieve, but I still probably wouldn't even try them. I see a game like castlevania and I know I wanna play it, but then I see these games and I'm not really hyped for them. I don't know if it's because there's just too many games in this genre or maybe those games actually don't seem that interesting.

They ruined scarfs for me, everyone has a red scarf now…

I can't.

The issue is not about pixel art being impossible, but it does have to actually look catchy so anyone even tries your game. And doing that does take a ton of time. I'm not actually saying that, "Oh, gee, a 2d platformer, that was easy to make." I know games are hard to make and it takes a ton of time to learn and draw the graphics. But what I'm saying is that for one person is too much to make everything look and play great, so there has to be SOME compromise. And I am pondering if my compromise is too much. Most sentiments today are, if you see a pixel art platformer indie game, throw it in the trash. And I can't even blame the guys, I do the same thing myself.

What's wrong with just posting your content and saying "yo give me feedback"?
Why do you need people to know that you're that one guy who posted that one thing that one time?
I mean, you do you, I guess, I just don't fucking get it.

Consistency is key, frankly.
Art's by far my biggest weakness, and so it's annoying to work with.
I'm mainly working out story shit, but when I get bored of it, I can go mess around and write a song, as that's fun. Art, on the other hand, is kinda tedious most times.

It's time consuming, I'll admit, but I'd rather a game take longer but look good.
If making it look good and detailed is hard for you, make it interesting. Interesting, but consistent. As for what IS interesting, that's a subjective one.

But the question is, would you honestly still get excited for a pixel platformer game, say, in 2020? Have you played any non poozed, innovative games from this genre recently?

Something this guy Troy Leavitt says is, when you are making a game the first thing you have to work on is gameplay, then you can focus on the graphics.

Because I got my current client by posting my work and all, even if it was not the best I have done, that way I can at least spot anyone who may want to ask for a commission or something, provided I have open commission slots.

Try prioritizing stylization and unique architecture/scenery over art quality. I just picked up a SNES about a months ago, and most of the games have basically the same overall visual quality. The games that really grab my attention, though, are the ones with badass looking monsters and cool looking levels.

Your average indie game doesn't have much charm to them beyond their "le quirkyy humor xDDDD". They have bland, 3-tile levels with absolutely no inspiration behind them.'

You can do it, user. Show the Indie Market that you can make your game stand out without obnoxious Reddit humor.

Considering I enjoy RPG Maker horror games from time to time, sure, user.
The art style being pixel shit does not matter to me as long as it's consistent, not clashing, not lazy.
It's moreso the gameplay that matters to me, and since I struggle to find good games nowadays, that's a big issue.

Ahh, I suppose. Though I think that saying that you're bad at what you do might be bad for business.

Sorry but how does someone on the dev team having HIV affect the game's development? Please tell me

Do you really want to play a game that every five minutes mentions that the world would be better and more inclusive if everyone had HIV? FUCK YOU, you know what he meant you faggot.

I know you're joking, user, but those types are usually extremely left leaning, which means their game will be lazy in terms of art style, and the gameplay will focus on telling a "message" instead of being fun.

You're right on this, with all the games not having much technically to separate them, you need to focus on stylization. That's a good tip. I also knew when I saw Castlevania Bloodlines & IV (both games that I played for the first time this year) that the games are gonna be awesome. They just have a feel that most platformers today don't. It can't be nostalgia.

This is what I was talking about. They have no soul. They have some random things in them but it doesn't feel like that game was made to make you appreciate it and have a ton of fun and great memories in it, it was just good enough to get your money's worth.

I love horror games made in RPG maker, I played like at least 15 or 20 of those. But most, if not all, of those were made by nips. They make good games.

Leftist passive aggressive question. I'll give you one response though, so you don't say that I won't gave you a chance. HIV is a disease, and a leftist trying to insert leftist propaganda into his art is not the same thing, AT ALL. So fuck you.

I've almost finished my waifu model for my VR game I'd like to start later. It's the first time I make a model in Blender and so far am at the 30 hour mark after rigging everything minus eyes. It's sometimes difficult to trace the model since anime anatomy isn't 100% 3D perfect so there's lots of improvisations around the face and shading. I didn't bother with nipples because I'm not doing nipples.

You can add more vertices around joints to make them rigged smoother right? Like my elbows only had 1 ring and it looked like a fucking sword when bent so I added 2 rings around the joint.

On a sidenote, considering that gamedev is my only hobby, and really, the only thing I enjoy talking about, it's nice that this place is so comfy.

So? Learn from them, user. Just because you're not a nip doesn't mean you can't make a good game.

Sure man, sounds reasonable. I think it's probably the best thing. So, stylization and learning from the pioneers. I can't trust most indie platforming games these days, maybe I can contribute to making them great again. I just also wanna make sure that they sell something at least.

All this talk over shitty indie games prompted me to check the Steam Store and click on the first "indie" title I see.
store.steampowered.com/app/452060/Caveblazers/
user, this game has 339 reviews. I'm guessing that's somewhere around 1000 sales. There's nothing visually outstanding about this title. The graphics are a 5/10 at best, and the enemy design ranges from 4/10 to 6/10.
The player characters are the SOLE definition of "pixelshit" and they don't look like any kind of characters I'd feel badass playing as. The level design is blocky as hell and doesn't appear to have much going on beyond the boring, bare, level geometry.

This is your competition, user
There is absolutely no stress here. It would take minimal effort to create something to surpass this in terms of presentation.

Agreed. That's just the set of exercises I would use to learn a new platform in and out by making little games on them. Once you can make a full featured realtime game a platform you've basically mastered it – games do everything a computer can do.

I haven't reimplemented them in a while, since I can tell just from reading the docs how much I'll hate the newfangled buzzword compliant platform of the week… and unfortunately pick it up as I go, to keep my CV topped up.

It could be fun to re-make those games on one of today's platforms I haven't fucked with much. Make an AGDG example / crash course.

Not sure how useful it would be though since there are plenty of tutorials / examples out there for every other combination I searched for except WebGL + ASM.js. Yikes! That would be more humorous than anything. AGDG's version of Enterprise FizzBuzz.class: Take a browser scripting language and use it like assembly language to make Pong in
THREE DEEEs

The edge loops are looking OK. The edge flow is a bit unsmooth though. See that line coming out of the belly button that joins with the hip at the 5 way?

You want those to overlap not dead end into each other.

Imagine the edge loops are like inverted parentheses:
)_)(_(

You don't want them to touch like that normally unless they're really going very flat and natural.

)_|_(

If it causes an edge loop to dead end or change direction too much then follow through. You want them to be like water waves that just crossed each other, like this:

)_(_)_(

This will create better joints for animation. They're probably OK as is, but imagine bending that leg you might get a crease at that hip line as you have it now. If that happens then overlap them.

However, see that edge loop coming up the leg? There's a traffic jam there where shit just goes haywire. There's an extra run of quads there that doesn't belong.

Try something like pic related.

Looks like shit, that's for sure. I also thought that was my competition though, but then I saw Deaths Gambit, Blasphemous, Dead Cells, and some others. It kinda changed my view of who my competition is. I mean, how long will these shit average games will sell for? It has to end at some point, they've been going at it strongly years ago when super meat boy became a hit and they declined. It's not entirely about the money, I also just want to know that I'm not shooing away my fanbase because of my game's genre & art style. Most players playing indie games these days are total faggots.

Nah he's right, youre kind of a cunt

real pixel art is great. See link:
youtube.com/watch?v=bRwHpU_kcPE
The key is, as Ferrari mentions, is to have a decent understanding of art before jumping right into pixel art. If you have no basis for art, take cheap community college courses in drawing and painting. Keep in mind that great gameplay can carry a game. BUTCHER has very low-res pixel art but the gameplay is great, so it doesn't really matter.

You are going to get a lot of fetishists.

Explain yourself how HIV, a disease, a person having HIV, is the same as a person being a leftist. If you make a shitty smug reply or you go passive aggressive on me, have fun talking to yourself.

I've been drawing for a couple of months for like an hour a day after a break of a year or two, so it's back to the basics again. But yeah, I get you. You obviously cannot jump into pixel art, and it is a great style. I'm gonna watch that talk you gave me though, it looks helpful.

What are you even talking about? user asked how hiv transmission was related to gamedev and youre getting all angry

I have feelings

No user. I am the fetishist.

I bet you think I'm calling you black when I say you're a nigger then.
Lingo does not mean the original meaning anymore. Similar to how cuck has turned from "the act of being a cuckold" to a weak submissive person who might be a cuck, pozzed as turned into "ruined, irreversably, usually by one person with a leftist ideology" people use this term because homosexual acceptance is usually preached by leftists.

Someone's just trying to Goon up the thread.
Slow day, today. I guess all the yesdevs are busy deving right now.

Non-answer. user was implying that I'm too obsessive with what the development team is composed of. He responded to one of my posts where I said 'what are some great non-poozed games in this genres that you played,' and that was his answer, a passive-aggressive question that is not related to what I said. A person with HIV on a game development team is not the same as a leftist trying to ruin the product with his propaganda. Period, stop wasting my fucking time.

Fine, I'll humor ya, I'm drunk enough.

Leftism is the ideology that advocates for polygamy, open relationships, homosexuality and bisexuality - all of which make you way more likely to get HIV. It is also the ideology that defends HIV "rights". Heard that Cali passed a law where you don't have to tell anyone that you're positive anymore?

The two are, obviously, not the same, no one's arguing for that. But leftists are way more likely to have it, defend it and advocate it. And, in being leftists, they are also more likely, traditionally, to make their games less about fun and more about some deep fucking message about how Trump's a poopyhead and how borders are mean.

Enjoy your aids, user.

ITT: youtube.com/watch?v=5yC7HwPh6Es

Correct.

Correct.

Irrelevant. Leftists having a 20% or 50% or 75% more chance to have HIV than non-leftists is not relevant my concern about cucks being involved in the games that I'm about to play. That guy was NOT implying that "people with HIV" were actually leftists. It was not a slang, and he says that then he's lying. He was saying that to mock my ideals of not wanting to play games with people that I might hate. And what can I say about a person with HIV? Nothing, because it does not affect the game, we do not assume that he's a leftist faggot. Also, if he did indeed use HIV as a slang for leftists, he wouldn'tve mocked my post. He would realize that is indeed a bad sign to have leftist developers on a game dev team, in an indie team, these days, and he would find no use in asking me such a question.

You wanted to get autistic about this, so there you have it. Stop defending this shit, you know what he was implying, and I know what I was. Don't get so up in arms about something with clear intentions. I want less chances of me playing shit games, he had a problem with me cherry picking developers.

Do you hate… AIDS?

Leftist tantrum, DISMISSED. Find another retard to waste time with.

I'm currently using the dejavu font, at a size of 12x12 per character

If i wasnt on my phone youd get the smuggest anime girls right now

I gotchu covered, famalam.

You shouldn't push yourself to do work if your tired and irritable, you'll just quit or produce shit work and hate yourself for it.
Try to find out and fix what is making you so tired so you can produce quality work, better develop your skills, and enjoy what you do.
If anything you should ideally STOP working when your still pumped and enjoying yourself because then you'll be pumped and excited to come back later.

This isn't to say that you shouldn't push your limits, but you should know what you can do first.

Do you actually believe that you're winning any arguments here? I can see through your shit. All you do is post smug images or insults when you disagree with me. What I said is a fact, even if you like my attitude or not. Insulting the length of my posts or calling it raging because I took the time to explain myself is not a win for you.

I cherry pick developers, especially indie developers. More leftists in an indie dev team = more chance of the game being propaganda and with a stupid message in it. You can get frustrated all day long, as you clearly have the time, but just because there's more of you shitposting, it does not make your right. If the guy who posted the HIV question actually used HIV as a slang for leftists, he would not actually even post such a thing, because he already associated HIV with leftists, and therefore he knew leftists are retarded, so he would not disagree with me. Have the last words, you're just a bunch of snowflakes. Go laugh about your "cringe" somewhere else, like cuckchan.

what the literal fuck are you talking about anymore user

A power nap is a nap for 90min (one sleep cycle) around 3pm, that's when the wonky sleep chemicals happen to cause a bit of tiredness in the evening. The circadian rhythm is naturally out of synch so that it can keep you sleeping through the early morning before sunrise. If you know that there's a sleepy time then, you can plan around it.

Now, when you're crunching, it's time for an Ultra-Nap.

Get some good strong coffee, or other strongly caffeinated beverage / energy drink. Chug it. Add an ice cube if you have to. Just get that juice into you fast. Now set the alarm for 30min to 1hr and lay down, try to sleep right away before it hits.

The java takes about 30 to 45 min while sleeping to get fully into your system. You'll wake up from a slight nap and have a rush of energy enough to get back at it for another few hours at least.

In truth, if you chart your SLOC ever 30 min you can measure performance. It's generally the case that people get more work done if you go to sleep when super tired then get up and work refreshed than if you pull an all nighter. Two days with a good night's sleep in the middle > Two days with no sleep.

If you get to that point where you're staring blankly at the screen for a minute or so wondering what it was you were about to type. It's time to get some sleep. If not a full night, then a power nap or ultra-nap.

Of course these are general rules of thumb. Sometimes the wild hare takes you for a ride and there's no escape until the creation is done. That's the plight of a creator. May the muses have mercy.

I would recommend using SDL, because it provides cross-platform and also more or less Unix-like ways to do all of the things you're doing with XLib and WinAPI, but I bet you have a reason for not using it already.

Am I doomed to dishing out shekels to artists, /agdg/? I should point out that the one exception to this is Blender, but even then I can only recreate things I have actual pictures of and can't make anything original at all. And on top of that my knowledge of Blender is really spotty and I can never get any materials to look right.

I think the most important part of pixel art is conistency. An inconsistent line thickness will look like garbage regardless of how good the rest of it is.

the one on the left is when I first started working on pixel art. The one on the right is the most recent one I finished

Hey thinking of buying Unity premium. Is it a good deal?

I have bad news. That's just the company name, they are not really Virgins.

How do I make it so my character hears 3d sound instead of the camera in blender game engine?

describe the concept of the game.

I feel the same way. I wish I had an artist to do all my 3d modeling and animation. I wish I had a concept artist to help nail down a visual style. I just want to make and polish game mechanics.
I'm biting the bullet and learning how to model and animate, but I wish I didn't have to.

Is just a nickname right now.

I don't like the mouth, needs some work.

Will look onto that, thanks,

I enjoy it and also like using the functionality that SDL might not expose. You still have to use the underlying API's anyway to accomplish what I'm doing. Not in this code sample maybe but in other parts.

Anything even resembling a nap gives me a severe migraine. Just took one today after going to the city, and it happened. It doesn't matter when I do it, it fucks me up.

Though I might have to try that sometime.
I finished something that took me two months due to personal life going full retard for a while. So between finally being done with it, and stuff slowly getting back into place, I've been resting a bit easier lately.

Now that's progress if I've ever seen it.

Then again, my first attempt at a game was a Mario/FF crossover, featuring one of the Koopa Kids, Rydia and Geno, back when I was 11 or something.
Don't ask. I was an autistic kid.

I know that feel, but I don't give a fuck anymore. This is the only place in the world that doesn't want me fucking dead. The only place where I can talk to people without being a god damn cocksucker and appeasing everyone daily. The only place where, if I fuck up and say something wrong and embarrass myself, I can fuck off to another thread.
In other words, I don't have to be afraid to speak here.
Let them, frankly. Let those faggots come at me. Let them brand me a neo-nazi. I know they'd do it anyway, regardless of my association with here.

I doubt it'll be even remotely as popular, but I wouldn't be surprised if my game, at first, attracts a similar audience to Undertale, minus the furfags. It's, on the very surface, a very lighthearted game about making friends and being nice and shit.
But they'll realize it eventually. They'll realize what it's really about. And any critique of modern society, in my experience, means that you'll be forever branded as every single fucking name in the book.

Fuck people, user. Fuck all of them.
sorry for the fucking blog, man.

You've sperged out over bait so hard that I can't help but post smug anime girls.

I most my updates on Tumblr, and have about 50-100 followers, and nobody bitches about diversity

Well that's not very constructive. I've fiddle with the mouth already a fair bit and since she's an anime gal the mouth tends to be very small. I'm not sure exactly how she will look like in unreal with some nice flat toon shaders but al it needs is just a straight line when in rest mode (Which is what I think you are talking about)

Well, even though anime mouths lack detail they still have lips and all that are not just a few pixels thick, just check some animus where mouths have some close-ups with more shading, I recommend you give lips a more natural shape.

tell me where you live, I might be close enough to laugh in your face and maybe do some colab irl

The most stupidly ambitious game ever that's a combination between a city builder, a 4x, and an action RPG.

I know for a fact that I can write every single script in the game although I'll have to cuck for Unity since UE4 runs like ass on Linux and Godot is buggy as all shit for 3d in its current state. I KNOW I can put the pieces together. The problem is that all of the assets I will be able to make for the game will be 100% garbage that looks worse than pic related, with no music at all and spotty SFX.

What I've already written is a way to apply modifiers (from stats, talents, etc.) to the player's abilities to adjust damage, attack time, manacost, and the like. I've already got some ideas for how to implement the code for placing buildings onto the city's land, as well as how to manage requirements for skills. It's just that if I did everything, it would look like TOTAL SHIT.

Tumblr is a surprisingly decent place that gets a bad rap from its most insane ideologues.

Please don't suggest the tiny lips from shows like Boku ha Tomodachi ga Sukunai.

Damn! I need to change that ASAP, is been ages since I did that, well, except OW, but still.

Never seen those, I would say more like Bakemonogatari indeed.

About 6 years ago was when I couldn't stand tryhard "retro" platformers anymore. Pixel art is fine, but hardly anyone does pixel art anymore.

Then there's games like Donkey Kong Country, which were mostly 3D rendered to 2D sprites. I've thought about giving that a try and make it look less plastic, but it starts to look like shitty low res 3D. Those types of graphics cashed in on the 3D craze. Wouldn't really call them pixel art.

Then we have, 3D-ish games with… uh. Yeah.

Finished the lore on Humans, Fae and Dracari, critics are welcome
please be gentle
fablesoflaetus.com/

You gotta say though, just looking at that Rocket Knight pick, it has a feel that you would not see in games today. It's a rough, detailed, image.

Damn! I need to change that ASAP, is been ages since I did that, well, except OW, but still.

Never seen those, I would say more like Bakemonogatari indeed.

This is what I mean. The game looks mysterious, and has a distinct art style.

I did this font for a game I avandoned. You can have it.

Alright, I'm writing and reading your story at the same time. So if this feels kinda sloppy you'll have to forgive me.

Wow, I just read the first line and it already feels like a cliche, overdone """fantasy""" setting. This would work well as a setting, but please don't actually start the intro of your game with this line Jesus fuck.

Ok.
Alright, so geographically speaking, it sounds like a typical fantasy setting minus the tropical areas. Nothing wrong with this, in fact, sometimes generic fantasy settings are comfy as fuck. Moving on.
Wew, about time things start getting interesting.
GAS THE FAE RACE WAR NOW
GAS THE FAE RACE WAR NOW
GAS THE FAE RACE WAR NOW
You're damn right, I don't give a shit what fantasy setting it is. White, blonde-haired, blue-eyed humans >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dogshit >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other race.

I like the concept of accidentally unleashing our own creations amongst ourselves, though. Pretty neat backstory for the enemies.

Anyway, I just realized it's a pretty long fucking blogpost you got there, so I'm gonna stop greentexting every paragraph.

OK, so it was just brief racial descriptions. Good, there seems to be some nice distinctions between each race, and they all have their own developed backstory.

I also just realized you're the Dev behind that Everyday: Life game. Didn't realize you were making a world to span across a shitload of games, but hey if you want to make your game a little more autistic, that's good.

Bitch i will make Toady One look like an amateur

I will be posting lore every sunday and wednesday
i got so much in my head that i need to let it out

thanks for the reading, im surprised i didn't get bashed due to poor grammar
i know its not a good excuse, but english is not my first language

I wonder how a shader with that effect would look on a 3d model?

Might be a little too hard to implement if you're not a great programmer.

Here, monogatari lips.

it's just lit from the rear

Shit, you're right. Well then, no use in making a shader for that, lol

Better?

Ranged combat is about 90% done. All that's left to do is a few bugfixes and some minor features, but I think I need a break for now.

breddy gud/10
though I'd say the part about absorbing draconic souls feels a bit rushed.

Neat, thanks user. The game looks pretty good with it.

T-thanks
I will add more detail on the Dracari later since it will be a VERY important race in the first game

Thanks user. I like how antialiased text looks.

is this nostalgia?
fuck

sorry if this is offtopic to /agdg/, but are teams even worth pursuing?
i have yet to find a single indie team recruitment listing that doesn't look like it was made by some kid who wants to make "the next undertale xD", or an idea guy with 9 other idea guys jerking themselves off.
and i'm not good enough to apply to actual studios.
i'd ask around here, but i'm assuming most of the people here prefer to 1MA.

only asking because i've come to realize i suck cock at anything gamedev related that isn't animation/rigging. even then i'm only mediocre at those two things, so i'd rather just focus and hone those two while working with a team.

the best way might be making a small game to show what you can do and gather with people who have done the same.

Can anyone recommend some good c# resources? I'm a web developer trying to break into my local indie game community but it's alot harder to find good learning material

I did some random C# tutos and worked with C# at my dayjob for 2 months to learn, sorry i don't have anything that i would consider VERY GOOD

I'm waiting for my artist to finish some animations so I've got some free time.
What's a good program to make music on?

I was looking at FL Studio but apparently if you torrent it there's some problems with plugins?
Anybody know anything about this shit?

Question, why do open source game engines exist if they aren't good?

Cause people love jerking themselves off and saying they use an open source engine
Kind of like installing linux really

use reaper, it's the best

glX is completely broken, and every call to it it crashes the program

still cant figure out WHY this thing is being such a stupid piece of shit when I linked it and followed the instructions. WHY is this even calling malloc? To what end?

of course when I copy the code example from khronos it works… but in my program it is awalys crashing without fail.

Stepping through the GNU debugger and:
50 sys->vis = glXChooseVisual(sys->disp,sys->screen,vis_settings);(gdb) step49 GLint vis_settings[] = { GLX_RGBA, GLX_DEPTH_SIZE, 24, GLX_DOUBLEBUFFER, None };(gdb) print vis_settings$3 = {134683800, -134283264, 0, 0, -12220}(gdb) step50 sys->vis = glXChooseVisual(sys->disp,sys->screen,vis_settings);(gdb) print vis_settings$4 = {4, 12, 24, 5, 0}(gdb) print sys->screen $5 = 0(gdb) print sys->disp$6 = (Display *) 0x8082610(gdb) $7 = (Display *) 0x8082610(gdb) $8 = (Display *) 0x8082610(gdb) $9 = (Display *) 0x8082610(gdb) stepProgram received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.0xf7bd047d in _int_malloc () from /lib/libc.so.6

while meanwhile in the sample this is based off of:
(gdb) step20 XVisualInfo *xv_info = glXChooseVisual(disp,0, att);(gdb) print disp$3 = (gdb) print addNo symbol "add" in current context.(gdb) print att$4 = {4, 12, 24, 5, 0}(gdb) step22 Colormap cl_map = XCreateColormap(disp,rwnd,xv_info->visual,AllocNone);(gdb)

The sample is here:
khronos.org/opengl/wiki/Programming_OpenGL_in_Linux:_GLX_and_Xlib

Really this just blows my mind. so In the sample that works, the pointer to Display is MISSING. THAT SHOULD BE BROKEN! meanwhile, in the sample that I am using, I am doing EVERYTHING RIGHT according to the documentation and its even more correct than the broken one that works.

when passing in NULL as display, it just fails without crashing. so, this makes me think it is related to my Display struct in sys->disp. I'll have to look through it… but I don't seem to have an issue with it in any of the other functions I use it for? This whole thing is ridiculous

because big 3rd party devs are stingy as fuck and keep shit like Frostbyte and (originally) CryEngine were locked up tight in terms of contracts

so when even the development speed of engine clones of Game Maker 8 and RPGMaker 2000-VX Ace are slow as heck, the closest hope is of FSF-approved brasilianss

This is probably better: hero.handmade.network/episodes

I've always put it off for reasons, but I'm thinking about just doing it for the computer science education it provides which is superior to any undergraduate program in the country.

You might give LMMS a try.

tried a call to XOpenDisplay(NULL) again and segfaulted. This is not supposed to happen at all.

Really linux is turning out to be a huge chore if nothing will work the way it says it does

Amusing

Is that a shitpost or an actual quote from like Other M?

I have seen it a lot when it comes to comparing pixel art games from the real old days and now.

Eh? I'm not talking about the pixel art, I know it's indie shit. I mean the quote specifically

It sounds like it crawled right out of Other M, trying to be deep

I am supporting linux to try and learn about how development on it is… and also since I like the idea of saying that I support linux… but really I'm having a bad time with it.

I fixed my code by rearranging some things and I cant say I care enough to find out why that fixed it right now. This is mostly because of the documentation… there isn't anything written up that explains why this works in detail, just man pages online that tell you just enough to think you know how it works, but not enough to know what to do when it inevitably fucks up and doesn't work. At least with MSDN I can feel some vague amount of confidence about the reliability of the documentation.

Now, maybe I have adapted to MSDN and the win32 API and its actually no better, and I just picked enough of it up to be competent using it.

Kek, I'm pretty sure it's a parody.

These are handy to have deeper knowledge of
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/articles/csharp/language-reference/keywords/index
docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/articles/csharp/language-reference/operators/index

I also recommend C# In Depth by Jon Skeet, once you feel competent in the language, and want to know more about its design philosophy.

Oh, never paid attention to that, no, is not Other M, is just the usual SJW cringeworthy writting, most likely a parody.

Nice to finally get back into making pixel arts after almost two years of being too busy.

Finally, someone who makes his pixel stuff resolution a power of 2.

At one point, I wanted to make a shitty platformer with DARK GOTHIC AESTHETIC and weighty combat, but I see that Blasphemous just came out, and it's a hundred times better than what I could achieve

All the sprites I do make are 16x16 or 32x32

Some people tend to use other weird resolutions while still trying to capture the retro feel, which makes it an instant failure by principle.

I was seriously considering developing this for the NES, which is why the standing pose is 16x32. I backed out of that idea because I'm a pussy.

I'm still going to use NES palette and sprite limitations.

3+transparent is a fine limitation to use on sprites, or else 7+transparent for important/bigger ones. It helps keep your design simple and focused, and avoid suffering from over detailing

It also means I get no good yellows.

Just checked it out, love everything about except that it is retro pixel style. I would really prefer a higher resolution to enjoy all the cool designs.

Depends on your TV

Two bits is all you need.

oh boy I sure do love me some muddy green and brown and purple 32 color palettes copied from a deviantart tutorial by some moustached latte guzzler

You're forgetting that on computers, we dont have infinity

I kid. But convergent and infinite sums really throw my brain through the shitter

Instead of modeling an ugly as fuck made up anime alien, use a qt asian model face as reference.

why are ayys so perfect Holla Forums?

Remember everyone, Blender's rigify and UE4 do not mix.
I really need to redo this mesh and rig anyway

hey niggers, i actually got it to render something

granted, its got some ISSUES right now so its by no means completed but im ok with this as a days progress. It looks the same as the windows version from screenshots though, which I think is cool.

Cmon user

Change your window theme

Someone post the pic showing what FPS viewmodels would be like IRL

Thank god for that. Nothing worse than pretentious and worthless mathematics.

Since rotation is cosmetic, I don't know if I should have it go by 1/4, 1/2, a random amount, or video related. Probably the latter.

Its just the default theme, doesn't bother me since I will be going back to win7 with classic theme on once the port is completed

Market your shit game to Hollywood.

Have fun with your ransomware

At least Win7 lets you use classic theme, yeah

I haven't gotten any on account of not being retarded

Found the space kebab.

How important are game design documents? I just threw this together that explains the basic game flow.

Art doesn't have many actual rules, just tips to help you in the right directions. You learn it by observing the world and art around you and mimicking what you find appealing. Learn the fundamentals of how the world works and then interpret it in your own ways.

Maybe one day you accidentally throw a pink gradient over something when you were trying to add shadows, but then you realize that it actually looks very appealing, you've now learned another one of million ways to make art look nice. Perhaps you've more imaginative and can find some broader relevation from that accident, i.e. shadows don't always have to be the color of "shadow", colors don't always have to "make sense", making things pink gives you X feeling, or something like that.

As for "details", you need to look at a lot of details in the world. Even for many artists it can be difficult to make original designs and fill images with detail. You may know roughly what a red brick wall looks like, but do you really know it well enough to draw an old decrepit building out of them?

Design Documents are important as long as you're making use of them, and especially with multi-person projects.
Solidifying mechanics, interactions, flow, and design goals can help keep you focused and on-track.

colors fucked me up pretty hard, the color that you see with your head is pretty much the median color and the same that you would use in 3d models, but when drawing highlights are clearer, shadows are darker and mids are duller, is a fucking trip, in one moment you are drawing a bunch of blobs and in a blink is almost a picture now

blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?260463-3D-Sound-Question-How-to-set-quot-Listener-quot
Now please tell me why you would use BGE for anything ever.

See, that's the thing, because it doesn't have any hard set rules, I can't grasp it at all.

Draw exactly what you see. That's all.

Design docs can be a blessing or burden. Much depends on the temperament of those who maintain the scripture. Games almost always wind up different than initial plans. Design docs are typically best as a living document, updated as time goes on to reflect the current direction of the project, and keep everyone on the same page. In production a design treatment (mini doc / overview) can be important to get the main ideas across, and pitch the idea for funding (even of the crowd type).

I believe gamedev (and programming in general) is an emergent process. No one designs a game; Games are discovered and explored; All the Games that can exist already do exist, yet most remain hidden. Devs have an idea which sparks the catalyst and through dedication to a process of communing with the aether via iterative feedback (design, prototype, test, repeat), causes one to discover whether an enjoyable game might exist in the vicinity of the idea. Be careful. There are also horrific things lurking in the problem space of the great beyond which prey upon unsuspecting nodevs who delve too deep too fast.

I have seen design documents kill projects if the lead is too rigid and the doc too unrealistic. Such a death is merciful compared to those scriptures which summon unholy things by worshiping that which should not be named, while glorifying the vile and disgusting as "good" and "desirable". The main principal of gamedev is that you don't really know if an idea will work or be enjoyable until you playtest it. After such an experience the design may need to be updated, lest evil begin its encroachment.

There are also usually two sets of docs in a big project. The design and the technical specification. The former reflects the true will of the designer, the latter describes the arcane sacrifices made to synthesize their desires. The game exists as the union of these two opposites. Development is a process which describes the intersection in increasing detail until a new entity springs into existence – or the project fails for some reason, one being that no game may actually exist at an unholy union.

Top-down design hints that a bottom-up approach also exists. Approaching the problem from the direction you prototype until discovering enjoyable mechanics then design a game around it, and write a design doc based on your findings so that epiphanies are not stolen from you in your sleep. The path up is the path down. Everything flows.

This message brought to you by the Church of latter day Cybernetics.
i.e., design dogmas are cults, you'll find many in your travels.
Do you have a moment to talk about our Savior, the Procedurally Generated Universal Designer?

What said.
Don't draw a representation of a thing. Just draw the thing. Draw the details that make up the thing directly. If you're using a reference, maybe try to get some of the more obvious details first, so you catch yourself when going horribly out of proportion.

Ever seen a bad actor? Someone communicating that he's in the role of Cool Dude by pretending to be Cool Dude and doing Cool Dude things. And everyone gets that he's supposed to be Cool Dude, no question about it, but somehow, the performance is still lacking.
Ever seen a good actor? He's Cool Dude. He just is Cool Dude.

Depends on how you draw the sprites. A neutral (front or back light) or if you have a lighting direction, such as top left or top right.

Your 180 degree per cell rotation looks fine. When you go to polish this up: You could make the animation "juicy" by making the falling object accelerate as it falls and bounce on impact.

Does MC sexually identify as an Attack Helicopter?

I'm bored awaiting a shipment, so I watched that "proof". Now, I'll show you how stupid that "smart" fuck is.

This guy fucked up from the very start – from the initial condition you might say…

Consider the sum of the infinite series: +1 - 1 + 1 - 1
Dipshit says this is 1/2. It is obviously Zero.

The rationale for his answer reveals the flaw in reasoning: The estimation is based on the selection of some arbitrary end point which will be either a +1 or -1.

This immediately raises the question: That series exists as an infinite series prior to examination, and thus he also arbitrarily picked a starting point of +1. It is equally likely that you could have picked a starting point of -1 to begin examining this infinite series. Then the "average" would have come out to be -0.5 rather than +0.5. And what is the average of those two values? Zero.

Moron is suffering from selection bias.

This is the problem with modern mathematics. They assume some shit then don't mention the assumption and instead make ridiculous grandiose claims based on the assumption. You can not seriously say "the infinite series of +1 -1 averages to 0.5". Implement that in an adding machine, or even in C and see for yourself.

Imagine an infinite baseline with Zero bias:
… ——————- … = 0
It extends infinitely in either direction.

Now consider the +1, -1 series like so:
… -'-,-'-,-'-,-'-,-'-,-'-,- … = 0
Those top and bottom peaks are the integers +1 and -1
Basic signal processing:
… /\/\/\/\/ … -> sum() -> … ————— …

Derp.

To examine that infinite series we start somewhere. And that first sample is the initial condition at which the mathematic fool and all his choir of academic idiots has biased all their subsequent examinations.

To be more correct the mathematic description should state that from an initial state of Zero, continuing in the direction of positive infinity, AND starting with adding +1, the average of the infinite series is 0.5. If they had chosen to start with -1 then -0.5 is the outcome. The full problems pace reveals the outcome is predicated on which valid value the algorithm is initialized to.

The average of that infinite series itself is Zero. This is plainly obvious, and it's ridiculous to state otherwise. This erroneousness examination method then propagates into the entire rest of the fool's logic. Indeed, he cites an entire book based on such a flawed assumptions. Any moron knows that Infinity is not approximated as -1/12. Talk about missing a sanity check.

If infinity is presented as the sum of ALL integers on the number line then it is equivalent to Zero. Positive infinity + Negative infinity = Zero. Of course, zero or 1 are both biased positions to begin the examination from. This "mathematician" never addresses this assumption of starting position. They just assume the series sprang into existence right at the point they started writing down their fragment of it.

The other problem is that Infinity itself is not an algorithm. The fool doesn't mention they're actually analyzing an algorithm. Properly thinking of such a series of +1 -1 +1 as generated by an algorithm – or as a Turing machine – then we can talk about average state of the algorithm's output, and its characteristics. Then we can see that the algorithm also has an input, which is how it determines whether to sum a +1 or -1 next. Making grand statements about an output while not mentioning the input bias is babby's first coding error. Oops, You forgot to initialize the memory. It's a compiler error, FFS. Absolutely inexcusable in applied mathematics of programming, but perfectly acceptable in the derptastic academic mathematic world.

Likewise, for the sum of increasing integers towards infinity he should be examining an algorithm that takes an input, increments it, then adds it to the input and uses that as the next input. Clearly such an algorithm tends towards infinity, and does not have an averaged state of -1/12. He forgot to mention what initial value it was processing. If the machine started at +14 or -9001 then you arrive at a different estimation using their logic / rationale for making such estimations.

Academics theses days are like silly toddlers who are proud they learned how to flip a light switch and then run to tell the world screaming, "I made Light! I am the Light Bringer! Just like they said in sunday school! I am LUCIFER! I am a GOD!" It really is just like that.

College is not a place for smart people, seriously.

Thanks for the reply.
I've never used BGE before but my game idea is pretty simple so I believe the engine can handle it. Also the logic bricks looked appealing to a lazy person like me
why do you ask? Is there something I should know?

so i've got a project for a university subject i've ignored all semester
supposed to make a server calculate the determinant of an n-sized matrix and see how much faster it goes depending on how many threads the algorithm is using
how do i make servers with java or whatever?
how do i create new threads on it?

Same user here at different IP (I think).
BGE is rather notorious for being shit, so much that even the people who make it think it's a joke compared to other engines. That said, it's supposedly good for artists to quickly create prototypes, and have no idea how much development there's been on it since the devs said it was shit so maybe it's only kinda shit now. Don't stop using it if it works for you, but do know it might limit you a lot.

Why not using Mixamo auto rigger and then refining everything else? Also, can someone tell me if this is good to go now?

would anyone be interested in me recording my first game ever?

Recording how? Like a let's play? A walkthrough?
Or development of it?

I'd like to see a walkthrough of the first hour, maybe, if that's what you meant. Dev logs would be cool if they're short and interesting enough.

not really, just me playing it.

maybe some subtitles explaining some shit.

That's kinda lonely, honestly.
It's like "no one will let's play my own game, so I'll do it myself."
As I said, I'd watch the first hour, to see whether the game is interesting to me.

Do some commentary on the game and how you came up with some parts of it.

I'm not a native speaker bro.
I'll put some subtitles.

Oh well, in any case some kind of documentary would be great.

Not really, I want to have an archive of my first games, just like artists have their old pictures and sometimes they make redrawings of their old art, just to show how much they have improved.

Is a nice feeling.
Maybe I'll remake this game for steam, seems like a good idea.

This.
Dev commentary is more interesting than you just playing the fucking game.
Especially if it's comfy dev stories.

I actually was considering once making a video series where I share dumb anecdotes of game development. Comfy innocuous shit, ranging from design philosophy to some silly bugs I've encountered and stuff.
But I despise my voice and doubt anyone would be interested in such a thing.

I am interested.

I once sat down to record an episode, but my voice got to me and I just stopped mid recording and was sad for two hours.

Stop caring about that so much, most of us have weird voices.

not really, most of males have baritono voice, which sound a little bit too high pitch.

I mean, most of us in general don't like our own voices, just imagine it, I am Mexican and I have to speak English when I play certain games in voice chat, I have been called all kinds of nationalities in some cases because people can't figure my accent.

is about getting used to, at first is unconfortable, but you'll get used to it.

most people don't care.

It's fun when Kamiya does it.

Exactly, just do it.

I'll think about it.
I also need to pick a "pilot" topic that isn't boring as shit.
and before someone tells me to speak about past projects, that's not an option. they're all autistic and never finished

So, is this finally good to go?

Back is arched unnaturally forward, like Jessica Rabbit tier, minus the attractiveness.
Stomach is flat as a ruler. I'm skinny and even I'm not THAT unnaturally flat.
Crotch bulges out too far, especially the bottom of it. It should be rounder.
And the tits look kinda cone shaped.

I'm not /loomis/ by any means, I'm just looking at it as an average faggot.

I can sculpt that away, I am talking about topology.

I like my alone voice but don't know how to speak with it

VA here. Everyone needs to stop fucking doing this. Literally everyone.
No, it doesn't. Almost everyone hates hearing their voices at first, especially men. You think that your voice sounds different when speaking vs hearing a recording of yourself because the way it resonates inside your body is different to what can be heard on the outside. You're hearing frequencies through your skeleton and tissues and such that can't be heard by the microphone/camera. Nobody is used to this difference at first, and it's extremely off-putting, but the reality is that nobody but you thinks its weird, because they don't have your lifelong internal expectation to compare it to.
Odds are that, no, it's not. Actually excessively high voices are rare. You think that your voice is high because of its pitch relative to what you think you sound like, which is different from what you actually sound like. The sound you hear when you speak is generally bassier than what it sounds like outside. It's true that this means you're not as manly-sounding as you thought, but if you really listen, you'll find that the vast majority of men aren't either.
Fine. Assuming that this is the case, and you're actually an outlier, there's nothing wrong with it, you just have to know how to work with it. High voices are very distinct and memorable. Learn to project power from your voice and turn it into a tool, rather than let it hold you down and make you think you're an effeminate faggot. Consider that most popular rock songs are written with high male voices in mind, and they sound strong and cool, rather than gay. This is even true of Freddie, most of the time. It's the delivery that makes it work. Pitch matters in music, because it dictates what notes you can hit, and most people like to hear high notes from young men, but in speech, pitch is mostly irrelevant, and it's all about delivery, which you can actively work on in your own home. A place to start would be recording yourself imitating people you think sound nice, and then slowly integrating qualities of their voice and speaking mannerisms into yours until you hear something you like.
There is no such thing, unless you have musical ambitions, and even then, you have a niche. You still benefit from working on delivery, though. Also, men with deep voices are statistically more likely to father more children, so enjoy that.

tl;dr, There's a very high chance that you're stuck in your head because of a perceptual problem with humans and your voice isn't bad at all. However, the fact of the matter is that what you hear on a recording is the real you. This means that you can choose to confront and understand it, and then either accept it or modify it to your liking, or you can just continue to hate the way that you sound. Just running from it doesn't fix anything, and leaves you hating a part of yourself. If you don't intend to take up any hobbies where you hear yourself, then it probably isn't a problem, since as I said, nobody but you gives a shit, but it can be made better, and if you want to do something where you hear yourself regularly, this is a demon that you're going to have to face.

The upside is that, now that you know only a recording of you is a valid representation of others' perceptions, you can practice modifying it, and be perceived however you like. You aren't a good judge of how you sound right now, but you can invent a new sound to be more in line with your image of yourself, if you really feel the need. The only serious hurdles to "sounding weird" are speech impediments and heavy accents, both of which can be significantly improved or even completely overcome with practice.

I'm having fun working my my game but I'm still having trouble with the water pressure system. Scrapped it twice, but made a fair amount of progress on the chunk manager.

Calculating the static pressure from water above each block is simple, of course, but I'm how does it work for water to the left/right? Does that even work? I don't even have water value and pressure as separate values.

Nice post, user. Some interesting shit.
I couldn't really pin WHY I think my voice is shit. I'd have to lean towards "high" rather than "low'.
If I had to explain it, it sounds really fucking gay. Not like, stereotypically, "heavy lisp, exaggerated mannerisms" - gay, but just fucking gay. Young, maybe, would be another word to describe it?

That, and… well, you ever listen to a podcast or radio show, and just think "this could not work if not for this man's voice"?
Well, yeah, I don't have a voice like that.

I know that everyone hears themselves differently.
Honestly, it's mostly to do with my severe self-loathing - something that, every time I try to work on, life hits me in the fucking face like a truck going 90.
That, and I need a decent, interesting script for what I wanna say. And every time I write something, it seems shit to me, for the reason listed above.

Seriously, I just need the green light in that topology so I can finish the foot and start UV mapping.

If it's not pitch, then it's speaking mannerism. This is the thing that can be overcome, and the thing you need to learn to alter.
Post an example if you can.
Well you aren't going to get anywhere by hiding from it. Confidence improves public speaking skill improves confidence. Post a clip of yourself reading one of these paragraphs.

Hmm… probably true. Though my speech is fairly mundane most times, unless speaking in front of a live audience.

youtube.com/watch?v=bkEhtD10pX0
Yeah, say what you will about Lardkat, his voice is a decent radio voice, minus the fucking burps and shit.

n-no user don't do this to me
Fine, fucking, I'll try to write something up and I'll upload a video of what I mentioned doing earlier, the gamedev stories, probably by the end of next thread.
sorry man, too much pressure. that, and it's late and i don't wanna wake people up

Seriously, I need someone to tell me if my topology is good to go in that place.

This is the norm. Most people don't get animated unless they have a reason to, not even actors, and there's a skill to speaking appealingly while staying reserved. See vid related.
I'd never heard of him before. His voice is enjoyable, but it's because he has a command of it and uses it to emote well, not because it's unique. Also, there's usually audio processing that goes onto podcasts that make them sound nicer.
You know you want it, pussy.
Cool. I shouldn't have asked it of you without doing it first. Let's not pretend we're professionals who can/need to impress. Here's my normal speaking voice, with my shitty microphone and gay-ass expository tone. Don't speak like I do, it's called vocal fry and it's unhealthy.
my.mixtape.moe/wohvmc.mp3
WEW
You and everyone who's ever held a microphone. With self-loathing issues, if your environment isn't somewhere you can speak comfortably and have to worry about people being annoyed, or judging you, it's likely to hold you back, whether you're acting or just trying to speak naturally. Vid related also somewhat touches on this, tangentially. It helps to get loud to overcome your self-consciousness.

That video is amazing. I thought only women were able to have voice friiyyy.

what the fuck is mine, then, a fucking potato?

I don't use SMB, therefore I didn't get it. I would rather use something that has much nicer documentation than POSIX and X11…

You can totally hear all kinds of imperfections on that, its obvious
Its better than the kind of mic someone has in an online game, but you wouldn't pay for voice lines delivered on that

I think I might need to make a new account

what the hell do you keep doing to get blocked by them?
stop being retarded, user.

At least they pay attention to you

I got one guy to lets play my game:
youtube.com/watch?v=wW4-lSpoXno

And one guy asked me to record some things for his "show":
youtube.com/watch?v=Ir-iM_wVTu4

But considering the 2 minutes of blank space at the end he put such a low amount into it that it makes sense he only has 4 views.

Maybe I didn't try hard enough, but getting blocked seems like an accomplishment

Perchance, is your shipment a bag of dicks?

what game are you making?

Dude asked what would be a good setting for an english Far Cry
How could I possibly resist from saying Manchester?

I'm also blocked by TB but I have no idea why

I drew a tiny faggot!

TB lost his sanity after Trump and Brexit

I really wish I read enough doujins to make some lewd comment about how this feels better than a thousand dicks or whatever.

God damn it is good to be back.

[clicking intensifies]

The answer to your question is: What is a pressure wave? Understand that and you'll master fluids.

You have units of space. In order to have pressure you need compressible fluids. That means more fluid per unit space. You don't have to compute the pressure by counting cells above a cell. You can just count the amount of fluid in a single cell. In fact, you can have a value called: "waters" in each cell that count how much waters are there. More waters more pressure.

Pressure is just how much matter there is in an area. Movement left and right is just water trying to equalize counts between adjacent cells, flowing from higher to lower counts. When a water moves into a cell tally the direction it's moving as a velocity vector. Divide the velocity by friction each pass, and add the constant gravity of 1g to the result. Move N waters per pass by the cell's velocity vector. If blocked from movement in a direction, negate the vector and move the other way (unless also blocked).

Can you post more screenshots?

It's true I've gotten spoiled, but yes. This is a Blue Yeti, which is leagues above the average mic that most people have around, but it isn't considered professional quality. If you didn't spend at around $100 on an XLR mic, it's a potato by industry standards. The same guy covers this in a previous video. See vid related at 3:51, and the video after contains a more in-depth mic tutorial. I think he's a little too harsh, but he's ultimately right. Many (most?) Youtubers use a Blue Yeti, and they're fine for vlogs and such, but it's not for sold voice work.

NEW THREAD WHEN

Page 13 just like every other thread

1 page

I don't understand.

Sure

These are the highlights from your competition

Isn't this Everything?
Game's actually really good

I would like to work with other people but i would like for other people to work on my game
and not so much the other way around so it's hard
most people aren't willing to give up their own vision.
in any case I'm a programmer and I could always use any help on my project. email in the email field

I've made some good progress. It turns out that successive calls to clock_gettime USUALLY give you an accurate increment of the timestamp but every couple seconds will give you a kind of "rouge timestamp" that fucks up the time increment and any kind of thing that relies on it. So, I only accept timestamps from within a reasonable threshold… if there isn't one, I just reject it and continue. The timer code is the code that I call the most.. my loop likes like this:

while(sysflags & SYS_FLAG_SYSTEM_RUNNING){ sys_minor_update(); timer_update(&timer); if(timer.tstep >= timer.min_tstep){ gfx.cube_theta += timer.tstep * 20; gfx.cube_theta = (float)fmod(gfx.cube_theta,360); sys_update(&sys); gfx_main(&gfx,&con); timer.tstep = 0; } }

So timer_update is the function that probably takes the most of the programs run time. Its goal is to continue querying the system clock and increasing the time step from the last frame, which means it blocks the rendering process until I have completed 1/60th of a second, then I get to render again.

Now, the only thing left for me to do is figure out how to make my program stop being greedy. Right now the program takes up 95% of the CPU doing nothing but querying the time over and over again. On windows if you call Sleep(1) it will give other processes precedence over yours and allow them to run, which means that your program will not suck up a huge amount of resources and will only use as much CPU as it needs. (this is all that sys_minor_update does)

>Email Protection
>You are unable to access this email address 8ch.net

user. I have good news and better news.

The good news is your email address has been protected.
The better news is that people don't have to give up their vision for yours, you can both give up your vision together:

FRESH BREAD

man nanosleep

refresh the page after the post to get rid of email protection. It even happens to sages.

Yeah.

However, I would have coded the "email protection" to call the unscramble function when affected elements are added to the DOM. This is why DOM listeners exist.

Meh, no one will be emailing for collaboration unless there is progress posted, at least an ideasman document / treatment / overview, or tits.

Hope they have better luck in the next thread.