Action Sports Video Games

I absolutely love this genre, it's pure arcade influenced fun. Tony Hawk has hinted at returning to the series without Activision's involvement, so I'm holding out hope that I'll see at least one more good THPS game in my lifetime. Did EA's Skate "perfect" the action sports genre in the eyes of critics? Are consumers sick of going fast?

Other urls found in this thread:

thugpro.com/
mega.nz/#!RIMXlTLC!9R8o6DfGFgU-5DKtggWBXdfeNqvMFxoIVaupVCX00r0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Are extreme sports even cool anymore? Man, the early 2000s really do feel like they were a long time ago.

XXX is a movie dedicated to extreme sports and stunts, but it's pretty corny. I like it.

Reminder that THUG Pro is a thing you can play right now!
thugpro.com/
You will need a copy of THUG 2 installed in order to play it though. mega.nz/#!RIMXlTLC!9R8o6DfGFgU-5DKtggWBXdfeNqvMFxoIVaupVCX00r0

A group of modders have nearly finished compiling the remaining THPS2 levels. Not to mention player counts are higher than ever nowadays; It's like a dream come true for a guy like me.

Neat. Any chance of Project 8 or Proving Grounds levels being ported? I never got to play those.

I really liked the downhill levels in the first THPS.

I thought I liked the SKATE control system untill I played online and everyone was just glitching out like faggots to get highscores.

I wish people would respect the "sim" aspect of games and not try to META so hard to win.

How the fuck does a bunch of faggots abusing glitches make a game's control system any less great? The controls aren't the problem, the retards abusing shitty coding are.

SKATE remains, to this day, the greatest skateboard control system to this day.

Theoretically the devs could program it in such a way that tweaking the fuck out is either impossible, or doesn't reward points.

To be honest THPS was like this to a degree, but it was so difficult that it didn't make a difference. At some point it ceased to be a skateboarding game and became something else entirely.

More info about THUG Pro in the embedded webm.

There are few levels ported over from the PS2/XB versions of THP8, High School, City Center, Fun Park, and Downhill.

Oh those were from Project 8? I just thought they were custom levels made by the community. They seemed a bit bland however High School is alright.

Infinite Air is worth a pirate, maybe worth a buy if you wanna DL custom levels

I often wonder just what caused this genre to wane in popularity, and I think it's about the passage of time, but in a number of ways. It's not just about skateboarding becoming less popular after the 90's, it's also about the evolution of technology, both vidya technology and the rising popularity of youtube.
You guys talk about Skate, and sure, that game turned out good. But if you look that game up now, the first one that pops up is Skate 3, and we know what that game is best known for: all the ridiculous physics glitches. That sets a precedent to companies, that a skateboarding game doesn't need to be well made if the gameplay footage gets enough attention from all the wackiness.
And you know what comes after that? Goat Simulator. Under all that cringey millennial "wacky" comedy, there's still the idea of tricks and stunts that ties that game in with the extreme sports games of the past. And now we've got shitty meme games following in that one's footsteps like I Am Bread and Snow Horse, the extreme meme sports games of the new generation.

tl;dr physics pushed the genre into a direction where appealing to stupid youtube meme lovers was more important than making good structured games.

Tony Hawk's American Wasteland remains probably the best Tony Hawk title, with THUG a close, close second

Has anyone ever gotten face mapping to produce something other than a hideous mess?

Where? I was wondering if anyone would buy the license after Activision torched it and ran.

SSX 2012 is bretty great. It's 7th gen only, and yeah it's EA, but i'm telling you, it's good. Try it once the PS3 emulator is working well.

People shit talk this game for some reason, and I have no idea why. I had a really good time clearing through the campaign mode. I liked some of the power-ups it tried and the challenges built around them. I thought the physics felt very satisfying. Doing tricks off the helicopter gets me wet every time.

Does anyone feel the need or tendency to play as skaters that are your own stance? In Tony Hawk it isn't as important, but in Skate it plays a lot more of an impact. It's weird watching Chris Cole throw down mean Switch Hardflips or Inward Heels.
Also what pros would you like to see if Skate 4 happens? Chris Joslin is a definite for me, though he's regular too. Evan Smith would be wild too.

Like Fast and the Furious for people who aren't RICErs.
Did he just wallride a bus going the opposite direction on a longboard? I don't know what to think, so I figure I'll just indulge in it.

The SSX reboot had a really underdeveloped multiplayer mode, didn't ship with freeride, and had microtransactions tied to player progression. It's a decent title, but it released just before those concepts were widely accepted by casuals in full releases.

American Wasteland sucks. Gameplay isn't as good and the soundtrack is emo bands.

some upcoming thugpro stuff mentioned that was shown by the devs in thpsx's discord (1/2)

(2/2)

How do I make Pro Snowboarder (PS2) look right on an emulator? It's too blurry even after playing with interlacing and the other things emulation wiki said to try for blurry games.

Oh shit dude, Minneapolis! Looks like the hud elements got an up in resolution too. I'll make a thread with a mega of the game when the update drops.

Anyone play jewbisoft's STEEP? I tried the open beta, was sort of disappointed by how lackluster it is. Your character can't do any tricks, you get one trick, and the entire game is pretty much a "casually ride down this mountain a million times" simulator. Have they added any new and interesting content?

Anyway, Dark Summit is a pretty good game

I tried it before, iirc the game rendered interlaced (like with the PS2 versions of; aggressive inline, dave mirra 2, bmx xxx, downhill domination) but with some sorta weird blur filter or something like that. I guess it could be patched to disable the filter, but idk.

So Hover released today. Anyone play it yet? Is it good?
Also anyone else heard of Project Session? Supposedly it's a Skate style game but with even more emphasis on realism.

Skate was the death of it. Instead of being good fun it became shitty simulation. Skate was a boring game.

felt good when you could finally land a laser flip down a 24 set of stairs

it's been years.

So THUGPRO won't reconize my controller. It works fine in the launcher (can config controls) and every other program.

What kind of pad are you using? Are you remembering to save your changes before closing the launcher? Do you want to skate together?

What controller are you trying to use?

That looks terrible, and I'm not talking about the music.

Looks neat in concept. Designing levels around FAST might be tricky.

I liked Skate 1 for it's realism and Skate 3 for being a bit arcadey than the second, but you're right. It was probably responsible for bloating the budget of extreme sports titles.

PS3 setup to look like a 360 controller.

Everything else sees it fine, but THUG, THUG2 and THUG Pro don't. I haven't changed anything system wise since it worked on THUG Pro (which was the first time I ran it)

How the hell did Ring of Fire get in THUG2's ost? It's a good song but completely different genre from everything else.

Whatever it was restarting my PC fixed it.

were there any tony hawk or actions sport games with hoverboards?

Don't get me wrong, user, I too liked all of the crazy combo shit in Tony Hawk games but there's a lot of appeal in landing tough tricks in more realistic skating sims like Skate and Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. And that's a game I really recommend to anybody that liked Skate: Thrasher was like the precursor to it, by like ten years and on the PS1. Really, really good game.

Some of the Tony hawk games do. THUGPro lets you use some on your custom character as well. It's purely cosmetic though.