So what vidya games are close to having actually good writing?

And what was the last year with any games like that?

Obviously Bioware games are off the list.

Other urls found in this thread:

alephone.lhowon.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rabi Ribi

Betrayal at Krondor

Deus Ex, System Shock 2, Thief, Planescape Torment……that's about it.

stop

>>>/out/

The most recent game I can think of that has good writing would be Dominions 4. Some games from the past that stand out to me would be Planescape: Torment and other Black Isle games, Zoo Tycoon, pretty much all the old Maxis games, Morrowind and Daggerfall. I'm judging good writing not only by the dialogue but also by the general flow of the prose, use of language, inventiveness of the world lore, etc.

It sorta depends on what you consider "writing". I mean, King of Dragon Pass has a pretty standard fantasy story/goal but the writing and lore AROUND the game are fantastic.

The same goes for Morrowind, the basic story is not that special but the attention to detail in how the world is written is astonishing.

Bungie's Marathon series has some fantastic writing. It's free now btw. alephone.lhowon.org/

- - - - -

Strive for your next breath. Believe that with it you can do
more than with the last one. Use your breath to power your
capacities: capacity to kill, to maim, to destroy.

And just where do your capacities come from? Why do you
always go where I want and do what I say?

Perhaps you're just running a fool's errand, doing everything
as I've planned, never able to change your course. You would
do well to believe that I know the outcome of your battle with
the Pfhor already, just as I can decipher the chaotic motion of
gas molecules in the clouds of Tau Ceti IV.

Or, perhaps, that is not the case.

Perhaps, you are doing what you were meant to do. Your human
mentality screams for vengeance and thrives on the violence
that you say you can hardly endure. Your father told you as a
child to always fight with honor, but to always fight. Do you
care about honor, or do you use honor as an excuse? An excuse
to exist in a violent world.

Organic beings are constantly fighting for life. Every
breath, every motion brings you one instant closer to your
death. With that kind of heritage and destiny, how can you
deny yourself? How can you expect yourself to give up
violence?

It is your nature.

Do you feel free?

Not really
The entire structure of the game is a mess and most of the dialogue feels like as if its copy pasted from a book. Its style of writing doesn't fit a game at all.

You just reminded me this exists.

Shadows of Undrentide was actually not that bad, though it technically wasn't BioWare what done it, it was Floodgate I think.

Planescape Torment was good, Arcanum was good, Fallout 1 was good (Fallout 2 was pretty marginal but not outright TERRIBLE), New Vegas was OK but would have been so much better if they hadn't half-assed the Legion (though it still wouldn't have made the Legion good guys, it would have at least made them far more relatable)… First Deus Ex was pretty good (though apparently by complete accident because Warren Spector's a fucking cuck), System Shock series was pretty good, Elder Scrolls games pre-Oblivion were alright.

Most of what I listed has already been mentioned anyway, so yeah.

Not that you'd be able to tell with that grammar.

Sure, if you're underage.

I was waiting for you to post this so that I could tell you to fucking kill yourself.

>>>/cuckchan/
>>>/reddit/
>>>/oven/
>>>/bog/

Did I fucking ask you?

How many times are we going to have this thread every week? This is like the 4th time in the past 5 days I've seen something along the lines of "herp derp what vid gaem has good writing?".

∧_∧   (´・ω・`)     n  ̄     \    ( E)  フ Shill /ヽ ヽ_// How do you do, fellow anons?What are some games that have [thing a recent release tried to sell itself on]?

This has already been posted you dumb fucking nigger.

None and never, because video games are not art, and are not a writer's medium

So? It's still one of the best pieces of writing in fiction in the last 2000+ years.

Undertale, Depression Quest, Night in the Woods, and Gone Home.

Faggots like you that fellate Neir so much are why I will probably never play it. Is this game really a faggotry magnet like Undertale

nice b8 m9

It feels that way, makes me hate the game when I haven't even played it.

It's called hipster mentality.

I'm willing to bet eroges have the best writing when it comes to video games. Either them, or some visual novels. Nearly anything else with "Good writing" either comes off a depressing or slow (And, often times, both) when playing a game.

Not really, it's called getting tired of having this game shoved on my face on every thread.

Nigga, you're crazy.

Make Holla Forums play games again.

And I've played tomato, and I liked it, but I hate every mouth breather that claims it's the second coming of christ. Humility is a virtue.

Could you explain why?

People talking all the time about the original Xenoblade Chronicles and how it was almost a "Gift from God" turned me off from it. It wasn't until I cared to look up the actual "Gameplay" gameplay that I got hyped when they announced X.

I have to agree on this point. It's pretty much similar to people who subscribe to the idea:

If you don't want people to talk about videogames they like then you shouldn't be on a board for videogames.

If you don't want people to call you out for being a faggot then you shouldn't come to Holla Forums

E.Y.E

None that are by Japs.

Fallout 4

Morrowind.

user that was literally the entire point.

Matsuno's games start out well enough (or some of them anyway) but end up falling apart by the end.

I'd say the reverse is true of FF12. The beginning section focusing on Vaan is forced in garbage that doesn't fit the rest of the tone at all, but once you get Basch and the actual plot starts it's golden.

I'm glad children like this will never play nier or nier automata. Their perpetual asshurt over either drm, having no ps4, or a shit PC is icing on the cake of excellence that is nier automata.

plebe

I agree about automata and steins gate, but those faggots make bad reputation for this games.
Likable characters = waifu-faggotory = obnoxious fans = unbearable "game of the century" shilling.
Can you keep in check your anxious zealotry?

Also, Pathologic. My favorite walking sim.

nobody who has been praising nier automata has been wrong, let your inner contrarian have a seat for once you child

Hotline Miami 1 & 2 might not seem like candidates for any sort of writing award, but they both manage to get huge amounts of information and emotion across in cutscenes that are usually 20 words or less.
The way the game is formatted, if you're actually invested in the story, you're eagerly anticipating what a character is going to say next, and usually it's just a single sentence with no direct relation to anything going on in the grand scheme of the plot, but anything any characters says is worth actually stopping to think about.

DF

We've been through this. If you're a good writer, you don't write for fucking video games.

Isn't the writer of Yakuza actually a good novel writer in Japan?

But what if the game is based on a book?

IHNMAIMS isn't a book.

What did it mean by this?

Max Payne.

Must be one hell of an author to come up with Yakuza 4: Rubber Bullet boogaloo

Yeah m8, it's written better than War and Peace.
More like an Ergo Proxy of video games.

Vagrant Story on the old playstation had an interesting story.
Basically, squabbling between various factions over control of a tattoo that contains within it the power of a cities population that was sacrificed to demons. The visuals are primitive given the platform, but the art style is very nice too.
Occupied a lot of my time when I was a teenager.

-t. crashfag

shill elsewhere

wat

you know we have the technology in CURRENT YEAR

Deus Ex doesn't have good writing. It's famous for being red-pilled as fuck and unapologetically reminiscent of mid/late 90's hacker movies at the time of release.

Planescape Torment has good writing, and I'd also add anything pre Nu-Chris Avellone on there too.

Yes it is you stupid fuck.

The Metro 2033 writing was good enough to make me buy the book, which was even better than the game. I liked the Silent Hill Homecoming story telling as well, even though it probably didn't make any sense.

Except no one asked for you fags to jerk off your platinum weeb game every 5 minutes

You're in no position of being superior to others fuckboi

Bioshock 1 has a really good story
about to play Infinite I hope it's good too

Bioshock 1 has a really good story

Personally I am a fan of the Xeno-Chrono meta-mega-hyper-series, which at this point now encompasses all of SRW, and thus most of anime, including real human history.

We have ID's here, Sheckelberg.

Silent Hill 2.

Pic related. Only the original though, not the expansion pack. It's a science fiction game, but it's real science fiction, not "Star Wars" or "Mass Effect" style "science fiction."

Other than that Chris Avellone has a reputation for good writing. I think Knights of the Old Republic II, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout: New Vegas had good writing.

You never read all those blurbs with facts about all the animals? Mostly well-written. So was the tutorial.

Was going to mention this. Just started, but I'm having a blast snapping necks and hitting on zombies. The game looks awful but the bantz and mystery surrounding the overall story are top notch. pls no spoiler bullies

Your son is the main villain of Planescape Torment you either have to kill him or nuke Planescape.

I think dark souls has the perfect style of writing for a video game and pulls it off remarkably well

It's because of the implication.

Unfortunately not as obvious as you might think.

What? For pre-rendered shit it still looks pretty neat.

Some of the best stories in vidya that I have actually played:

Ace Attorney series.

IIRC Vaan was not intended to be the protagonist originally. I wish they had kept him out of it.

Vaan's not the protagonist anyway, he's just the viewpoint for the first few hours. The actual protagonist is Vayne.

I'm really curious what people mean by "good" writing because from what I see, "good writing" basically just means "walls of text", as in the quality doesn't matter as long as you have trillions of NPCs with incredibly boring and shallow stories

also curious what people think of Virtue's Last Reward/999
at the time I really liked it, but after Zero Time Dilemma I started to hate the series

Define good writing first.

Prove me wrong.

What happened?

He now only exists as a vestige who can be summoned as a kickstarter goal.

Then only writes a few lines which don't salvage otherwise completely garbage games anyway

Did he get burnt out?

Nice top 10 you got there, I bet you didn't learn gaming history from spawns of Kotaku.

I feel like most of you are confusing "plot" for "writing". There are games with fantastic writing, but weak plots, like Morrowind. There are games with fantastic plots, but weak writing, like NOX.

Bioshock's story died the moment when the Ayn Rand decadent utopia was revealed filled with mutants. "And then mutants!!!" is the meme that kills off all pretense in the Shock games.

You can't spend the whole game having a superhero killing mutants, and ask me to believe it's high culture. There has to be a level of parity between the opponents, to even remotely consider the struggle somewhat seriously. Even motherfucking weeb robots like Gundam, evolved to the point where it's about humans fighting off each other, and not noble samurai cutting down unthinking monsters.

Also Ken Levine is a kike. All their scifi stories revolve about men trying to become God, and getting punished by a chosen. Don't think too much about this, or you will collapse from realizing most of your childhood heroes are this.

Thankfully none of my childhood heroes are jews.

This seems interesting, but you lost me with the retarded plot. What the fuck is a power of a city, what does it do?

name games with better writing than 999/vlr

protip you can't

What in the fuck are you talking about?

Seriously? It has bad writing because it has mutants in it? Yeah I'm sure it has nothing to do with the whole muh Ayn Rand muh utopia muh kikes…..

MGS2 has the best writing btw. No one else is capable of making a piece of well aging philosophy in a video game format. It transcends and replies to post-modernism, emulating and mocking it at the same time, diving deep into contemporary thought and involving the player on a level which he cannot avoid. You didn't play the game, the game played you.

You think Venat did something wrong? Are you a communist?

farcry 2

Wrong.
Good game, though.

All you had to do was search one term, or not be a retard and you didn't manage either.

Come on lads.
As for the other two games, I don't if I'd say they have good writing per say, but they sure are wild rides.