Hack and slash games back then:

Hack and slash games back then:

Hack and slash games now:

What the FUCK went wrong?

Eliminating Kiting and Strafing is more important than what you think, these tactics happened because developers couldn't understand how to make the games have depth in their combat system, so they just force you to exploit a weak spot of their AI over and over again. Not that today's games are better, but a better solution to the problem would be implementing AIs that would back off every once in a while to try and trick you into running into them and having good guarding styles so that people don't just prefer dodging. Guessing a guard right should reward you with a free, weak hit, not just make you and your opponent stand around like a couple of faggots when you could waltz with the dodge roll.

Jedi Academy is a fucking pinnacle of 3D melee combat in video games period.

I have to admit it was a really good game.

Also great to make your friends ragequit during lan parties

How do you get good at saber fighting in this game? I never really got to play it multiplayer so I just kind of spam clicked my way through the singleplayer.

Why is he killing a guy from Saint Seiya?

Do faggots still play battlefront 2?

Unlike japanese games combat in JA makes sense. Basically you don't spam click, you hold it and then move in the direction you want to swing.
Moving left-right-left-right will result in your dude swinging side ways for example, forming a combo.
Moving back+left-forward+right will result in roundhouse diagonal follow up swing.
Experiment.

Because fuck anime.

That became a problem when the mouse also controls the camera.
You get to options:
Either the camera freezes while you're attacking, or it moves when you swing.
I love Mount and Blade, but the moving camera is one of the things I deeply hate about it.

We'd need better peripherals for that. Not a fucking joystick or gamepad, but something diferent.

That's not a Hack and Slash, Diablo is. Fuck your gay Star Wars shit.

Tell me more about how great the "pick one skill, mash it till you clear inferno" is.

Reported him reported the thread and reported all of you

He's right though. Jedi Academy is a shooter with melee elements, while hack and slash terminology was used towards diablo like games.

yeah, I know that, but would I pass up an oportunity to insult someone on a imageboard?
You fucking faggot.

Darth Vader is a huge favorite of bitches who loved episode 7. Every day i see Darth Vader on feminist blogs of my ex girlfriends. There's some connection of Darth Vader, hipsters, geeks and feminism.

I am surprised nobody adopted the Jedi Knight game mechanics where you wield a paddle and have to swing it to spank enemies.

and reported you as well. Hell, fucking reported everyone on the board.

You know how hard is to clean that shit up?

reported

Reporting everyone on Holla Forums, and all top boards now.

That's one way to make you lose some weight.

Have a mop and bucket.

When the entire site is nothing but reported, then you have my permission to shitpost.

Star Wars is fucking dead. All it is now is to milk "geek culture" retards because it's all Disney knows how to do.

STAR WARS??? DARTH VADER???? IH MAN SIGN ME THE FUCK UP

That better be a chick in the stormtrooper uniform.

That's what you take out of this? Not imagining naked Rich Evans and wishing you hadn't?

We all know it's Kyle Katarn

I didnt actually report anyone faggot

Faggot

If it's a hot chick with a fat nerd, it's kinda lewd.
If it's Rich Evans, I need to go shoot him up for turning me gay.

Well Richie boy, your time is up.

I'd probably agree. Jedi Academy's combat has this weird authenticity to it in the sense that every fight can last either seconds or minutes depending on how you play your cards and I love that about it. Add all the different offensive force powers on top of that and every encounter with enemies ends up having loads of variables.

I would have thought you were Mark, but

Definitely not Mark

Damn straight

Upping the damage in singleplayer made the late game fights incredible; But I wasn't a fan of Academy's new saber styles, at least in multiplayer. The amount of strikes a dual saber user could make simply by using forward attacks was overwhelming.

Yeah, that's true. At least the dual sabers' kata move sucked, I guess, which sort of compensated for it. Rolling and then stabbing another player in the middle of a dual saber kata was pretty much a guaranteed kill.

I always did enjoy the double ended saber though, especially the kicks it allowed you to do. My favourite maps were the Sith tombs and the lava one, and part of why I liked them both so much was the feeling of landing a kick when another player was near a ledge.

I use keyboard controls rather than mouse in M&B. Mouse control to determine your swings sucks.

They aren't terribly different at all. In fact, they shouldn't be. Jedi Knight needs more enemies and japanese hack and slash games need better combat.

Yes, japanese games have bad, predictable AI on top of unappealing console oriented combat system. Mount and Blade and Jedi Knight did the right thing by making the AI seem authentic and misleading at times. Condemned impressed me too, the enemies were capable of fooling me more often than not by canceling their attack and backing off at occasional moments.

Fuck off, boardkike.

But are the Jedi powerful?

I remember Jedi Outcast not being bad on controller in terms of controls way back when I first played it on GameCube. The only thing that was kind of clunky was switching force powers and doing wall runs

I burned many an evening drunkenly duelling an Irish cuck on Jedi Academy when it came out. It was great because it's got so much variety, keeps you on your toes and takes an age to get bored of.

In the SP it always feels like there's more to the world than you're seeing and the force powers are just OP enough to be entertaining without going to retarded lolTFA levels (where all the challenge dies on arrival then the QTEs pile up urgh).

That could do with a makeover and re-release, nothing too drastic obviously.

smh tbh fam

Tell me 5 old hack and slash PC games that were't point'n'click shit and I'll be happy.

Japanese action games will be good again once somebody mails Platinum a bomb.

Which one is the best Jedi Knight game?

Hack and Slash is a shit term because it's used for point and click Dungeon crawlers and Action games so no one is ever clear on which you mean.

Jedi academy is a first/third person shooter with really well done melee combat. It is nothing like DMC or Ninja gaiden which are Action games.
Jedi you have actual missions objectives to do.
DMC and NG are just walking down a line killing everything until you get to a boss. Which is to their strengths since all anyone wants to do is kill shit.
They're about finding the best way to kill shit and or finding the most fun way to kill shit.

this

it's different combat you silly fuck, this is like saying FPS's are actually shitty modern On the rails shooters

this too
Their's plenty of DMC4SE bosses I could cheese and beat easily but that's not the game.
It's about making it look as cool as possible

Holy shit. I only just realized there's a portrait of Mike in there.

Jedi Knight 1 has the best guns, but Jedi Outcast is better for everything else.

So, both are action games?

DMC is better in that regard.

You need to learn which attacks do the most damage, which attacks leave you open and how to chain attacks together effectively. Generally the most successful players use yellow or red single saber, or a mixture of both. Saberstaff players are either good enough to be Darth Maul or terrible enough to be Jar Jar. If you use a single saber, you shouldn't entirely neglect the blue style even if it's not something you'll use as your bread and butter. Dual sabers on the other hand aren't used very much because they don't do as much damage as you'd think and it's easier to get past their defense than you'd think.

There are some decent FAQs on GameFAQs to get you started and some videos on YouTube that show how to be at least decent, but in order to be really good you have to be able to play mindgames with your opponent and bait them into letting their guard down. This is because there aren't any real tricks like in games like Super Smash Bros. You're not going to be wavedashing to your classes at the Academy. You just have to have a good grasp of the fundamentals.

The best technique used by pros is playing with a single saber and red style, swing sideways while aiming for the head, once the saber connects with the head, rotate the camera in the opposite direction of the swing at the same speed, so the saber touches the head for longer. If you pull this off, you'll instakill anyone.

Saint Seiya is a manga

Dynasty Warriors are my favorite hack and slashers games.

This sort of cheat is the best.

OpenJK exists, but it's still not ready for Outcast, what a shame. How is the GC version compared to PC out of curiosity?

That's a glitch.

I don't know if it's an injoke, a genuine opinion, or someone using force forced meme but I could swear that the fag acting like liking DMC and Ninja Gaiden and the Jedi Knight games should be mutually exclusive was still posting in 4chan. Platinum is still overrated though.

shit someone reposted my shitty OC
someone cleaned it up for me
enjoy

no, really you don't like it because you're bad at it.
To truly appreciate these game is to make up huge combo's and pull off sweet moves.
If you're not doing that then you're probably cheesing it and being bored

Is there an official statement on that? It doesn't look like a glitch to me, seems like a normal feature. I'd understand calling it an exploit though, but still.

They can fall under the term of action game, but they are different types of action games.
Comparing the melee combat of Jedi with DMC is like comparing Tekken to Smash bros and calling them both fighting games.
They set out to do different things with they're combat system.

A better game to compare Jedi's combat with would be something like Chivalry.

No, Chivalry is nothing like Jedi Knight. Chivalry strives to create realism, while Jedi Knight is much closer to Japanese action games with it's crazy acrobatics and force powers. The problem is, Japanese action games are trapped in the same tropes I've listed above. Even Dragon's Dogma that isn't supposed to be a part of the genre has the same gameplay mechanic.

Tekken is more unoriginal, that's for sure.

Most of what you've said is arbitration and on the same level as "All combat should be Souls combat".

No, I'm saying that all combat should be oriented on giving the player more control over every action the character does.

Do you have any suggestions to offer besides "Copy/paste Jedi Knight/Academy, but throw in a Dante and Hayabusa skin"?

If the devs were creative, they would implement distinct mechanics, but with as much control and responsiveness as those games.

reminds me of playing Jedi Outcast SP long time ago

?

Wasn't Jedi Academy better played with a controler? I remember that i couldn't do those wall runs and flips with the mouse and keyboard.

wasn't there a crouch combo with dual?
you use one saber style and while crouching use attack and switch the other saber on for double damage

I-I just wanted to chop some people
although the massive brawls that rarely took place on those servers were fun as hell

Do you guys want to play some JA? There are plenty of empty servers for us to fuck around in. Perhaps Radcorp should add it to the list of potential gamenight titles.

These are not similar at all.

No, how would you even think that.

The lightsaber is very satisfying when it acts like a lightsaber.

Yes, at some point.

JK2/JA blocking was automatic though.

That upsweep blue attack and blue weaving fucked me over more than I'd like to admit

Blocking was passive, but depending on your current saber stance, what you where doing, and where you are "aiming" when the attack is coming at you, or where the opponent was aim at you, changed the effectiveness of your blocking.

For example

I don't remember all of the differences , but thats how it went.

That shit doesn't count, you have very little choice in how you do these "objectives" in a DMC game. it's almost exactly the same every single time you play. Get X key item and bring it to Y area.

In Jedi academy for example there is the level were your ship brakes and you need to run and jump over a sand worm/tremor infested planet to find parts, I think 1 of the parts are optional, and you can play the game in a way so you can skip that mission all together.
That is clearly not the same thing as DMC.

I disagree with you but I respect your right to a different opinion. I hope you have a good day.

Yes. The official servers are down obviously, but some fan servers and shit still work.

What?
I mean, it's shit, but have you ever played God of War?

Both are shit button mashers.

Maybe for lightsabers. But its not as good as Warband multiplayer imo. Warband does mixed unit and weapon types a LOT better and uses a system that, while simpler, has pretty much just as high of a skill ceiling and allows good players to dispatch poor duelists a lot faster than they can in JKA. In Academy if you just hold block you can survive for quite a long time whereas in Warband you HAVE to be proactive because two handed weapons dont autoblock anything. You either manually blocked or you didnt; i prefer this to the stamina thing from Academy. However Ill say that the stamina blocking system makes you feel more like the superhuman that a jedi should be.

can you give some exemples from the first greentext?

Also, the moviebattles 2 mod heavily improved Academys systems. Especially stances.

now i understand.

and outcast

turn saber realistic combat on so you die in 1 hit. then practice not dying.

also jump kicks are OP

Genuine question - what was so great about Jedi Academy combat? I never played it, and Youtube multiplayer videos mostly look like two people running into each other and mashing an attack button until one of them keels over. Disregarding any offensive force powers of course, talking strictly about the pure sword fighting now.

Nothing. People literally spammed one attack all the time. Wiggling your mouse meant that you could one hit anyone.

Best combat action game in history.

Dark Messiah was pretty fun tbh.