Is it possible for a horror game to not have a sadness/depression tone to it?

Is it possible for a horror game to not have a sadness/depression tone to it?
Hell, is it possible for a movie/book?

I understand how sad dramatic stories can improve upon the horror story, it makes sense, but it seems weird to be that I can't really think of any decent horror game/movie that doesn't also have a depressing story attached to it. Being horrified and being sad are two different, separate feelings.

This btw rules out any ghosts stories as those are inherently always sad for the person who got turned into a ghost.

Flowey's fight from Undertale. It mixed happy and horror.

The reason why sad works is because if you can immerse yourself and empathize with the characters, you feel sad or bittersweet. Your get put into a vulnerable state

The Thing is not very sad or depressing.

The hopeless situation they're in is what links the sadness and terror together.

What if they like being a ghost?

Maybe kirby is an answer to your question but that is reaching

The sadness doesn't always come from the hopeless situation. It sometimes comes from the villain's backstory, like the OP image.

I don't see that working outside of comedy.

There are scary Kirby games?

What?

There are tons of comedy horror films and games. I'm actually sure there is more horror comedy than serious horror.

are all of you undermeme fags of the one and done kind?
just come into a thread to dump an undermeme reply and move on to the next?

Doom 3 doesn't have any sad or depression tone in it, and it's considered a horror game. I guess any game which is almost pitch black and there is a scary monster chasing you can be considered scary, I guess games like Slenderman also enter in this category.

I want a horror game where you play as a dog that is trying to reunite with his owner but people are trying to capture you to make burgers/chinese food

You just posted one.

Holy fuck you are a gigantic pussy. Get you balls removed immediately.

So you're saying that outside of comedy horror, any serious horror story is always going to have a sadness element to it?

No, I didn't.
I'm fine with tragic stories, this is just a though that occurred to me.
Here's the (you), though. Enjoy it.

See >>12607434(me)

I didn't find Doom 3 to be scary at all, in fact I found all the jumpscares goofy and stupid.

If you don't consider the delusional insanity of UAC staff sad and depressive then DOOM 2016 it is. Game's developers themselves said that you're supposed to smile the whole time.

no but the final bosses have this old one, fever dream horror look to them covered up in a child friendly style

That's the way you're planning to argue this?

So if I now bring up the action horror genre now, like Aliens 2 for example. Is your next argument going to be:

"So you're saying that besides comedy horror, and action horror, any other horror is always going to have a sadness element to it?" … repeating this shit till we have a list of examples proving you wrong two screens in size?

In that case: you're right, there is no other horror. It's pretty sad.

Nigger someone would have of had the same reaction if he mentioned an equally shitty game like halo or skyrim.

Doom 2016 is a horror story where you play as the monster. Doom Guy is canonically(U+200B was here) nightmare fuel to the demons of hell.

Read "Home Delivery" out of Stephen King's collection of short stories "Nightmares and Dreamscapes." It's an interesting twist on the zombie apocalypse that, while it has humor, doesn't go out of it's way to try to be funny. It's just a good end of the world horror story told from a different perspective.

remember when thread were about discussion and not dumping your shit and leaving?

Well it still considered a horror game, so it counts, just because you have some balls and aren't afraid of jump scares or the dark, doesn't mean it ain't horror.

I guess horror can also come when you fight an unkillable opponent and your only options are to either run or hide. I never played a full game like that, but in Vampire the Masquerade there is a section where you are suddenly and unexpectedly chased by an invincible werewolf, so you have to run from it I found that to be quite scary. I heard the Clock Tower games are like that, where you have no weapons and must either run or hide from the killer, and I doubt it has much of a plot, so maybe that.

Those games are not on topic for the thread. Regardless of what you think of the game the Flowey fight fits what OP is asking about.

Chill, dude.
Action horror is fine. I set comedy horror aside because I never found anything in that genre to be actually scary (startling at best. Just jump scares is silly and doesn't make a good horror game/movie) and it's usually filled with too many self aware moments to be considered actual horror.

That's fair.

no one tried to discuss it with him, so far hes only had people whining

(waste of dubs)
nice one user you sure got him

Resident Evil 4.

I got him so good he's gone
I gotta use that power wisely now

yeah but you have me instead so you failed.

To be fair, my IP changed because I was on the bus at the time.

primal horror

Are you referring to things like fear of spiders or fear of the dark? Or the movie(that's the first thing that came on Youtube)?

Actually it's just called primal, so disregard my second question, I am a fag.

So? Im saying if they were on topic in this thread or another thread you would get a similar reaction, because they're shit.

post the source of this image please
i only recently wanted to save it

didnt say you were either, just that you were worse off with me.

How would you even make a horror story without sadness? A horrifying event is always at the same time a sad event. Except if the horror doesn´t take itself seriously, but then you get into horror comedy territory. Although it could be argued that comedy horror has still a lot of sadness attached to it. Just take the movie Shaun of the dead for example. It´s supposed to be funny, but if you think about it, the whole of London including a lot of friends of the main character getting eaten by zombies is actually pretty sad.

I can't believe everyone overlooked this one. The Thing (80's version) isn't sad at all.

You enter a room full of sleeping jackals, but you can see in the midst of them is a scroll, you don't know what it does, but it's there. It could do all sorts of things, such as enchanting your weapon, teleporting you away, and so on. Do you take the risk of being shredded into jackal kibble? Do you then take the risk of falling into an immediate death trap due to the forbidden knowledge encased in the writing of the scroll? As you think about this, one of the jackals gets up…

A bunch of innocent scientists getting cruelly absorbed by a mercyless eldrich horror isn´t sad?

I don't remember the sadness of it being something that the film tries to portray. The focus does not stray from the tension, paranoia and fear of the situation.

psychological horror
there's no sadness. you're just really fucking spooked
play more games OP

Pathologic had a theme of disease and pestilence.

Try some Koontz books.

The game is turnbased, the jackal doesn't fucking get up while you think or are you spazzing out on your keyboard while thinking like a fucking retard?

maybe someone should do a gore game where you have to be a genocidal lunatic who kills civillians for fun with his hired gun buddies.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies.
Zombies ate my Neighbors
Monster Party
Dead Rising

i wish monster party was mario party but with monster girls

I wish someone kicked you in the genitals.

snappy snappy grandpappy

what's up with his hair