What's wrong with being a graphics whore?

What's wrong with being a graphics whore?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/xGUnik3Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Nothing, but judging a game solely on graphics makes you some of the worst cancer possible.

It depends on what type of whore you are. When you start implying that graphics are the one and only thing that matters and let that get in the way of enjoying some honest-to-god decent games - then you're a brain dead retard.

I like graphics, but a graphically-simpler game with a great aesthetic style is usually better looking than the more realistic alternative. Graphics are nice, but they're not everything.

Graphics are superficial and "professional" graphic artists are getting closer and closer to being as big of a cancer on the gaming industry as the Voice acting community.

Are you serious?

Aesthetics > graphics
There can be some great games that have low poly counts or low resolutions that still look good today. Look at spyro 1. Its old as fuck, but still has a good style to it. But when you look at say, one of those "realistic" fps on xbox 360 released in the first half of the systems life, you can see where it falls flat. The poly count is too low to do what it was trying to do. Even looking at battlefield 4 and seeing the console version have to have pyramid helmets because they tried realistic graphics when they couldnt do it.

Companies will start making games with their biggest strength being graphics while having mediocre or pisspoor gameplay.

Oh, and as far as I know, this only applies to the piece of shit concept artists, not the Animation Modeling and Texturing teams.
But considering they're unionizing who knows what they will engulf.

Gonna save this for later.

Who in the fuck are you pretending to be you retard, someone on 4/v/? We're all idorts here.

You ok user?

I wanted to call you out for your absolute stupidity, but god damn. I'm cracking the fuck up.

Nothing, I was one up until a point it was good enough, roughly the 360/ps3 era. I always compared arcades to home consoles as a child and didn't like how shitty they looked at home. Now, things like how much noise the machine makes when running and how hot the thing gets is my new beef. I'm old as fuck though, and mainly play older PC games while I run down the clock.

Atleast you were right about the "arcade > console" thing.

Oh no fuck, I didn't get it. Did someone save it?

What did >>12603052 post? He deleted it

Check the board logs. Mark might have deleted it.

Oh my god, thank you so much. This made my night.

pastebin.com/xGUnik3Q

Oh my

no it was pewter

APOLOGIZE YOU CUNT

he's a proper autist when it comes to hot pocketing but he's getting much better, so in all honestly he's on par with lime

for what?

the post was directed at pewter, sorry for the misunderstanding

Games are meant to be interactive which means interaction is their main point which is to say they should be fun rather than eyecandy. If I wanted to look at pretty pictures I'd look at pretty pictures.

All I ask for are HL2 level graphics for Payday 2

Even HL1 looks better than Payday 2 because it's a cohesive graphical blend, not a mess of mixed resolutions and quality

he dindu enuffins though

Good Animations are kinda required to make the game play smoothly. Imagine if DMC3 had weird and awkward animations. The game would be shit. Animations are not always required, but action games kinda need good animations, and to an extent, good graphics. It all depends on the genre.

He destroyed a new work of art.

just like, make more

Graphics are fucking over games these days. Asset production is dragging out game length and budget to an extreme. It's the reason why games like EA's Battlefront look amazing but have no fucking content. I'd rather games have PS2 level polycounts and basic facial animations but 200 hours worth of content than a game that looks real but only has like 16 hours of content.

And this is why I hate coming here.
Hot-pockets were a mistake.

Mark, I swear. I wish you had the power to recover posts like I told you last time. My ribs are sore as hell. What a fucking shame. Wish someone could do a voiceover.

The dumbass deleted really good satire. Guy who's post was deleted nailed everything that's currently wrong with the attitude Nintenyearolds have. Remember during the Wii days when people prioritized gameplay over graphics? They didn't have a choice, but that molded them into something great, it really made them the most level headed people, and now it's inverted because "Hype" culture took over and graphics fanboys from the other came to shit things up, while the core fanbase no longer cares if the product is subpar, as long as it looks pretty. Nintendo fans lost the print that made them stand out, now they're the typical consumer who doesn't think and now only likes a product due to brand recognition.

if I was mark I'd have red named by now

why are you generalizing so much? you know what I don't care

AAA games being shiny yet hollow isn't a budget problem, it's that they're now mass marketed and trying to reach for a ridiculously broad audience.

Dude I can go into both the direct thread and the splatoon thread, and tell you that you're full of shit. If you're going to be an insufferable faggot could you at least wait until there isn't evidence you are little lying fag in the catalog.

Bullshit. You look at how photo-realistic some of these games get and you try and tell me they're not putting more money into their art departments than their code monkeys.

And they dump so much money into one game that they need rediculous amounts of sales to break even. I still dont know why they dont just make a lot of smaller games with a smaller budget, and if one of the games turns out to be a huge hit, they get so many times more profit compared to one blockbuster game.

Critizing a group is console wars?
Stop pulling false labels out of your ass. Now you'd be wanting to give someone a goddamn ban due to criticism? So fucking glad you're not a vol/mod. This would be Neogaf/reddit 2.0

I'm talking about the people outside of Holla Forums.

You care what those people think?

Those people drive the market, sadly.

it's inciting it so yes and guess what this isn't a console war thread so in actual it's doing nothing but shitting this thread up even if this thread is shit

pewter really did no wrong here

When it impacts a general business with the most vocal groups, of course I fucking do. Your logic is like not caring about DLC. Treehouse fuckery and Day 1 rewards just because others like it and you don't. What.

A lot of them don't actually, ever hear about secondaries, hipsters? They're literally fucking everywhere, spouting off retarded shit and contributing nothing to this.

That's a non sequitur, saying "This group you have asserted a behavior being typical does not express this typical behavior" does not correlate to any particular actions taken upon by a company, which, all things considered is a virtually ambivalent third party in this situation.

If you're actually stupid enough to think that I think you should gtfo

It's weird to hear people praise Tyrian's graphics at all as when it came out we made fun of it saying it was more like an Apogee title. The art was years behind Epic's own releases let alone other scrolling shooters on PC.

This threads' talking about graphics whores, you shouldn't be surprised to see criticism from all sides. The fact that you'd reach so hard to think critizing people's hypocrisy is inciting "console wears" speaks fucktons about your bias and character as a general person. I don't even know why I bother replying if you aren't going to understand.

Shit my bad I guess, I just saw 4chan consolewars terms and bowser poop and thought 'delet this'

I think it speaks a little more about your biases mr I get offended if you take a position other than nintendo is literally satan.

It's already archived, so no worries. Though, you shouldn't take someone who has a picture of bowser eating shit seriously, my guy.

People were lied to, that's the thing that matters.

Nah, I'm mad it came out looking like shit. Games shouldn't look worse than Crysis this long after Crysis.

so far we're just lucky there's no nintendo fanboys turned up yet

if it wasn't so utterly baseless generalizations you would have a point but the fact of the matter is you'd rather just talk shit about me as a person rather then actually look at my argument which really speaks to what your motives are ;^)

no you did right because it has indeed lead to shitposting

Where did he imply that?

That's the thing. I have no clear biases. It's like saying "Hey, clean yourself. There are dead flies on your face. They're blocking the vision and we might crash." and you respond with "Wow dude. I like these dead flies, why won't you leave me alone!?"

I don't mind you having a bias, that's NORMAL. Though, when you let said bias dictate the board, it's infuriating. Learn to separate emotion and logic at the least. REEEEEE

It has lead to shitposting about it being deleted.
And the way you're acting shows that you were buttfrustrated by it, I wonder why.

buttblasted over the shitposting in the thread now or the post in question?

First 'Igniting Console Wars' and now you think I'm attacking your directly, instead of the actions you've taken. Mark, oh mark.

You're not even trying anymore, man. This is sad. I'm giving you an opportunity to give me a refutation without resorting to a "No True Scotsman", or some strawman, nd now you're just, doing /that/.

It leads to games being more graphics intensive and less gameplay focused.
Example being the difference one saw in the transition from Daggerfall to Skyrim.

That it's not videogames

This.

Devs just slap together some third-rate shit that looks acceptable at 900p on consoles and call it a day because that's where the money is. Garbage textures, garbage physics, garbage effects and no options to tweak it yourself because fuck you our target audience is teenage normalfags sitting in their living room.

Points?
What points?
It's shitposting because I don't like what the post implies is not a valid point

U wot?

I'm fine with a little bit of graphics stuff, but in reality. As long as I can tell whats on screen and its stylistically consistent I don't need Rembrandt level graphics (ff14&15) I'm fine with xbox era shit. Games that offer more choice and more shit to do or do it well, bloodborne, daggerfall, darksouls, etc. Are better than the shit being foisted right now.

There's an important distinction between merely wanting games to look good and being a graphics whore.
There's nothing wrong with the former, since games are a visual medium after all. It's even in the name, video games.
Graphics whores, on the other hand, care about graphics to the exclusion of all else, which is a problem because they subsidize the existence of games like nuBattlefront, which while absolutely gorgeous as far as graphical fidelity go, are an absolute slog to play.

Did have a brain aneurysm when he wrote that?

Atmosphere > story > graphics > game length

Every single TES game apart from Skyrim had top of the line graphics for its time.

You would want a game to have a more consistent art direction/style than literal, greater graphic fidelity compared to other games. Why do you think Yoshi's Island still looks good, despite other platformers releasing looking pretty bland?

There's something a bit discouraging about spending some time drawing or writing up something to answer that kind of post only to discover it or even the whole thread has been deleted. Maybe it's just the transition phase before "we" adapt to that moderation style.

Why though?
This is the fun sort of shitposting, where everyone can get together and laugh over how much that user wrote and how badly he wrote it.
If the mods are deleting this shit but not the usual derails, why the fuck are they taking up mod slots?

Because all of them have their own agendas and their own interpretation of the rules and Mark pretty well gives 'em free reign to do so. There was one person claiming to be a former mod-team member who got discouraged and resigned when nobody took kindly to his deleting anything that even vaguely resembled another thread that had existed at any point prior in the name of vanquishing template threads that I remember, and while I don't know for sure if he ever actually was a mod or not it smacks of the kind of autistic crusader mentality that would compel somebody to take up a mod slot.

Why are all the vols newfags with no sense of fun?

I propose I become a vol and here is my reasoning, I'm never on IRC, I never namefag, I'm not part of any Holla Forums community outside of Holla Forums itself.
This makes me the most user anon and not cancer like all the faggots that do get on IRC to lick the ass of people that licked the ass of Jim.

You'll never get on the mod-team with that kind of attitude, champ. Don't you wanna linger in a chatroom all day instead of moderating?

Nothing. I prefer playing with 30 FPS on high settings than playing with 60FPS and having the game look like shit

casual scum right here

You place the look of a game over its other merits, such as its gameplay, music, sound design, level/map design, story, writing etc.

Graphics whores imply they only get games that look good or they have a strong preference for graphics over everything else. Its like seeking out the newest CGI car crash movie just because it looks good, graphics wise.

Placing emphasis on graphics is fine, just do it right. When you're criticism of a game isn't "this mechanic is poorly implemented and here's why" or "this level is bad for these reasons" but instead "look at this screenshot I took of a wall while I was right up next to it, shit game", you're doing it wrong. Graphics whores also barely ever talk about art direction which can cover a lot of faults. Bloodborne is a good example of a graphically mediocre game that is raised up by top tier art and aesthetics.

I want newfags to leave

It's a problem because graphics are usually just there to impress. It's a more or less objective standard that publishers can identify and sink money into, and which customers will immediately pick up on. Increased graphics capabilities can impact gameplay (more unit on the field, increased draw distance, the leap from 2D to 3D opening up what's possible in games, etc), but that's far riskier to strive for since it requires actual talent to craft, and it's far more nuanced in how it works with the other components of the game… and the reception from the players will be mixed, or at least underappreciated, by most players even on a well made title. You're getting into areas where it's a matter of personal taste and opinion, and investors don't feel as comfortable sinking their money into something so ill-defined.

honestly I find your half assed attempts to bully me funny. An pretty pathetic. you wanna bad mouth me be my guest. But, that only shows how low life you are. An I can't help but, laugh at you people and, how un predictable stupid you are coming to a shit site like this. Get a life.

Because graphics do not matter after a certain point. They matter a lot when talking about the difference between ASCII and sprites or 2D and 3D, but when you get shit like ambient occlusion, tasselation, etc. it's a lot of HW demanding shit that probably ate a lot of time and funds to develop instead of more important things, and that, in the end, does not really matter.

Graphics whores are people who look at a game and instead of focusing on literally anything else just bitch about some minor graphics defect, as well as dismissing all older games on the basis of not looking pretty enough. Their bitching motivates companies to focus yet more on minor and meaningless improvements to graphics at the cost of cutting corners with gameplay and content, which is of course a negative influence on the gaming industry as a whole. That is why graphics whores are awful and you should kill yourself.

Ask this guy's family.

this can't be real

To clarify, anal vore is when you get pushed entirely into somebody's butt, right? I used to think it was violent rimjobs, where you'd eat a person's entire butt.

BotW doesn't even look that good technically though. At least pick a game like The Order, if you're going to sperg out about graphics whores.

I think so.

This guy is working on the assumption that people who hold graphics in such high esteem even view games as timeless things in the same way we do. They don't care about future proofing. They wont be returning to any game twenty years down the line. Once the new console is out, the old one goes in the trash, or is handed to a younger cousin or something. You may as well be telling a fashion victim that their jacket will look really lame 20 years from now. Well, no shit, but they wont be wearing it then, so who cares?

HD is HD, You can't say it isn't pretty!

I don't see anyone praising BotW purely because of the graphics though. The graphics don't even look that good. The game just has a pleasant art style. People are going mad for BotW because (they think) it's a lot of fun to play.

I like BOTW's art direction. Technically the visuals are held back by hardware, but the actual style is quite nice.

I am physically unable to read past a certain point in that. I'm not clever or morbid enough to write something that fucked up, and honestly I doubt most people are, so I honestly believe some fucking autist actually did this. God help us.

you have no moral high ground in this, nigger

As an Australian it is my civic duty to shitpost even from my bed in the middle of the night.

Voxels are the next logical step in the graphics field. Rat tracing will come in some time. We need more developers working to make fun games with their research and coding skills.

Must be disappointing to be a graphics whore nowadays, as compared to when the technology was advancing more rapidly.

Voxels are actually really fun from a neuroimaging standpoint but I don't see how they're much of an upgrade.

Technically it looks like hotshit with a pissfilter.

Style over content doesn't cut it.

Dwarf Fortress is one of the best games out there and it looks like shit, compare and contrast with 'triple A' trash dressed in pretty skins and textures then you realise how hollow they are.

Ultimately graphics, while superficially important do not make a game any good. That said trying to play anything from 2002 to 2008 is painful experience now with how they've dated.

What does hot shit look like, technically?

What's so funny about this?

You are the Cancer that killed the Golden Age.

There are different types, but you're alright as long as you are not the "slap a realistic texture pack on everything" kind

Who else but pewter?

Haha look at this fag, he can't even run GLQuake, enjoy software mode loser while I pick up the new Voodoo card today

The actual gameplay behind Dwarf Fortress is fucking boring, it's the stuff that gives you a story to tell afterwards that's the fun part.

It's a stupid argument. There are less graphics whores now than there ever were. People used to go wild over a device being able to display a handful more colours than the competitior. People used to buy Playstation games based on the quality of FMVs. Only now are we at the point where games that look as shit as Minecraft or Undertale can actually rival the AAA market in terms of popularity.

All he had to do was force a spoiler for the second image for being NSFW, and after let everyone laugh at their post.

I've always wondered how would it look a modern game using a psx or mid 90 graphics techniques, but clearly using HD graphings and shit.

I can make do without voice acting perfectly. It's not necessary.
Good. Now we can actually make people read. This is more likely to make them read other stuff, like books, so people can stop being so retarded. Everyone wins.

Maybe it will when retards realize better detail can be put if if they stopped shoving in ugly-ass textures on every cubit.

graphics whore = consumer whore = pleb

A true gaming connoisseur plays pre-2007 games on a business laptop with integrated graphics running Linux.

You know what the Golden Age was? It was when I could make friends outside my loltism loser circle based on vidya we played, it was when Videogames became a place where adult males and old men would tutor and train younger ones.

You can scream casual all you want, but Gamer Culture lived and died in the 2000s user, when it stopped being about basement dwellers and hypernerds allergic to sunlight shunning society, and became a dominant culture in its own right, where women either conformed or were violently told to fuck off.

It was unlike anything before it and since, it was naturally egalitarian, since all you needed were hands and eyes and a functional brain(some gamers only needed two of those) and best part was? Women couldnt use their whoredom to get shit. They got good or got out and stayed out. Sports, Cars, fucking Legos? Be nice or I wont pretend I might fuck you. Videogames? Couldn't use that. They had to play the game, and couldnt tell us we couldnt have our fun without their permission. Oh how the whores hated that.

The 90s built the things needed, but only gray haired resentful old farts believe that it was a Golden Age.

Youtube and Twitch, Smartphones and Kikebook killed it stone dead as much as Kikery did.

You know what I fucking miss? Going over to my friend's place after school, playing San Andreas and COD2, and just wondering, how much better vidya will become in ten years.

I played vidya for ten years, and all I got for the anniversary was Fallout fucking 4.

underage.

Almost, but not quite.

It was the
that tipped me off myself.

I'm slavic. I hadn't seen a computer until 2005, and hadn't owned one of my own until 2008.

Are you retarded?

There's nothing wrong with games looking good but there is something wrong with the budget going to into graphics over the core gameplay and the consumer rating the game on graphics instead of gameplay.

It means your opinion is worthless to anyone who isn't also a graphics whore.

It means your taste is only pixel deep.

I bet both of you are in your 40s or will be soon.

Youre the same fucks who screamed like retards about the Prequels. No wait. Youre actually a good deal younger than them, but the sentiment is there.

2005 was 12 years ago you Mongoloids. 2005, when the Iraq War went from being Desert Storm mk2 to the colossal fuckup its known as today.

You crochety, grey haired, Viagra chomping, Pager and two way cellphone using, dusty old farts.

San Andreas, and the GTA franchise at the time, was more than willing to sacrifice pretty graphics for open world gameplay. Damn that was a good fucking game.

Tldr

Unless he was in fucking Kindergarten or Preschool, he aint underage. Id bet he is old enough to buy his own booze.

It's a satirical piece written to outline the absurdity of standard coming out parties.
I think.

user, San Andreas was over a decade ago. GTAIV is turning a decade old soon.
Fucking Halo 1 is almost old enough to post here.

Best post in the thread. It's difficult for me to find a game that's actually competitive now. Either it's dumbed down rubber room shit where you can't say fag or gg, or it's 100% on your team like Squad or Insurgency where having a normal IQ means that you'll wear out your vocal cords herding dimwit mongoloids around from objective to objective, lest the enemy team be 1% more organized than you and turn the match into a stomp.
At least I can still start up Counter Strike 1.6, join a server, say hello and be answered back, call someone a faggot for strafing better than me and have a nice time.

I'm 28.

Do you have an obsession with grey hair, user?

Then what are you doing acting like a drooling dementia patient

Its a long, stupid story that i will not tell.