Genres/Games you just can't get into or enjoy

Something about the way I think, I'm just not really suited to turn based strategy games and most RPGs.
I'm not necessarily "bad" at them, either, I just don't really care for the way turn based combat plays out.

As far as RPGs go, the only ones I've been able to get into had either great presentation and story, or had some interactivity to the commands you chose.
So things like Chrono Trigger, Mario and Luigi, Golden Sun, I all dug.

Turn based strategy though, I don't know. I keep trying them out, and while I didn't particularly care for fire emblem, Advance Wars seems good.
The problem is that I don't know if I'm enjoying it or not. Having to consider the enemy's steps and preemptively planning around them, while forming a plan of my own.
The mechanics are solid, the gameplay is solid, even the presentation is solid, but I just don't feel compelled when playing it, like I do anything by Treasure, for example.

I'm going to play Advance Wars to completion, because I like it enough to keep going, and I really want to know if it's just me being lazy and not wanting to think ahead, or if it's just that I'm not suited to the genre.

Other urls found in this thread:

duckduckgo.com/?q=men of war assualt squad&atb=v53-3__&ia=web
duckduckgo.com/?q=wargame red dragon&atb=v53-3__&ia=web
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

FPS in general. Whoever has the quikest snap and best accuracy kills the other guy first. I'll just play Osu! then.

A genre covers many types of games- consider how "fighting games" includes both Bushido Blade, a game in which you usually get killed in one hit, and Street Fighter, where you pummel the guy at least a dozen times. That difference drastically changes the gameplay of both games. You haven't found a turn-based strategy game that compels you yet, although you've found ones that are fun enough to keep playing. Keep looking or don't, it's your time, but there are a lot of turn-based strategy games out there and one of them might be just what you're looking for.

I can't stand ASSFAGGOTS, it would be OK as a minigame inside another game but making an entire game out of it?
Meh.

RTS for me
Always felt like an Idle game than anything else

That's most likely the root of all this.
And why I keep wanting to come back and try something in the genre.

Like I said in the OP, I don't care for most RPG games, but there are ones that have really grabbed me. Which leads me to think there are turn based games that will compel me at some point, all I need to do is find them.

Playing Advance Wars to completion is probably me just trying to figure that out, as knowing the ins and outs of this game will lead me towards knowing what I like and dislike about the genre, more, and in turn seeking out games that play up and minimize those respective traits.

Play Front Mission 3 and you'll instantly love turn based strategy

I hate first person games. As soon as that shit starts Im out. I play vidya to not be me as soon as the game has that first person sight I simply skip it and forget it even existed. Give me some grinding autism to craft shit, give me countless materials to sew and cook and smelt, and I will be in heaven.

I fucking loathe ASSFAGGOTS after being forced to play by friends for 2 years and somehow can't enjoy point and click or text-based adventure games, no matter how many I tried.

Fighting games or anything that has combos in it
I just can't deal with all the button pressing

I don't require this from an RPG but I appreciate it and to some degree prefer it.
Have you tried Chrono Cross?

It might be that you would prefer something more along the lines of an classic (2D) ARPG or on the other hand maybe you would like something at the other end of the scale like an SRPG.

I don't like combos in FGs either but mostly as a style preference rather than as a skill thing.

I just end up mashing no matter how long I've played
But then again I also have 73 iq so it's probably expected

It's okay to not like certain genres. I accept you.

Your friends suck bro

You play atelier?

I stopped talking to them a few years ago, got tired of their normalfag bullshit.

I wish 4 & 5 emulated well. Too jewish to hack my PS2.

Nice, you leveled up.

Real time isometric clicking for me: RTS, ASSFAGGOTS, Diablo shit.

Haven't tried RTT, maybe there's hope

Have you tried Legend of Dragoon, Shadow Hearts, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey, or Grand Kingdom?

He only leveled up if he still has his mana, aka he's still a virgin, otherwise he leveled down

If he lost it on his honeymoon that's fine.

I did the same thing myself. I dropped a shit load of my normalfag friends like a bad habit and leveled up.

wtf? So then you just don't like fighting games. You realize that there is alot more to comboing than just inputting the correct buttons and motions at the right times? There are things like hit confirming, combos that are character specific, combos based on certain distances like a counterpoke combo, etc. etc.

Neither Fire Emblem or Advance Wars are turn based strategy games, you retarded faggot.

I dropped them the day I decided to stop using drugs, that should easily tell you if I am a virgin or not. Ironically I realized not long after sobering up that the sole reason why I could tolerate their bullshit was drugs.

I cut my teeth on Mortal Kombat and played those games for years, combo focused gameplay just feels "wrong" to me. So does not having a dedicated block button.

I could never get into ANY JRPG that wasn't Pokemon

Games like Starmade, Minecraft, Terraria, and Factorio. Pointless games with no goal other than 'get more stuff'. I love slightly aimless games like the Fallout series, NEO Scavenger, and stuff like that, but the sandboxy aimless games are just boring to me.

ASSFAGGOTS is not RTS, I'll say that outright. It is in no way a strategy game. If you guys hate "RTS" because games like Dota you're blatantly wrong. RTS games include
It really depends on what game you play. MOWAS, Men of War: Assault Squad, for example, is an intense RTS that has you constantly checking around the map, managing units, developing plans for any enemy counteracts, thinking on how to spearhead your next attack, all while managing resource points and moving heavy equipment forward to keep tanks at bay. But, if you were playing Rimworld or something (does Rimworld count as RTS, I dunno, its combat kinda does) I can see how it'd feel like an idle game. Another idle RTS would be the Cossacks series. Try more than one out if you think the RTS genre is all idle games.

Yea that's usually how games work.

I can't get into any Kirby games

Something about the aesthetics makes me nauseous

I agree, i dont really like fps games either, they boil down to just point and click games, but for speedrunners

Well they certainly arent real time strategy games

Never had the consoles to play and all I have is a ds on me or my pc. Any game I could play to craft like a happy autist? Anything that involves trading, crafting, speech and bartering is breddy gud

There are two Atelier games on PC now, Sophie and the sequel Feris.

I never knew this any free links? I cant afford any vidya because rent is close

You should ask in the share thread

Thanks man, hope you get something awesome for thisz rhank you. Gonna go there.

RPGs with D&D-esque turn-based combat (The original Fallout games come to mind) I've had trouble getting into, despite absolutely loving SNES, and to a lesser extent NES era RPGs.

MMOs
they just feel so empty, and nothing feels special or like a achievement because 50 niggers are always standing near everywhere with their super neato outfits or equips, which kills the urge to farm because you'll never have that cool shit that's money bought only

On this, snipers and turrets in multiplayer shooters
getting 1 shot killed by some fag you never saw from across the map you couldn't touch isn't very fun
neither is there being deployable turrets which slow the flow of the game down from vs a thinking player to vs a autoaim stationary AI, often multiple, boring

Open world/sandbox, ASSFAGGOTS, FPS, RTS, fightan games, platformers

Come to think of it, the only games I even like are weebshit RPGs.

Satan confirmed for weeb faggot

I really fucking hate mindless grindan' games, OP. Main reason I'm not able to play JRPGs. It makes me feel dead inside.

Same, TPS are far better.

Play Arma if you want an FPS that is not charging like a retard into the battlefield.

rawling 4 dubz

I know this is certainly possible, but, I don't know, this isn't fun.
The most fun missions have been on a level playing field, more or less.
This isn't really fun, though, this is just the computer flat out cheating. Is the appeal supposed to be from overcoming the legitimately unfair odds? That hardly seems/has been satisfying, it just feels like I finally got done with a chore.

I don't like video-games anymore, i've realised i have become shit at all of them.

It's easier to split the games up into RTT, RTS, city builder/management etc. Men of War and Wargame would be RTT and by definition then don't have much hanging around and waiting for resources.

I can't stand that autism shit. I'd rather just play a real instrument.

I used to feel the same way about RTS.

I made myself like (learn) MOBA, then RTS became a piece of cake for me.

There's absolutely no downtime in RTS at all, unless you're playing AI or are winning by a large margin. It puts pressure on you from the from beginning to end.

RTS and MOBA are clearly not played the same way. Nobody is saying this. That's like saying Portal isn't Half-life, but both are use the same exact engine, perspective, conventions, etc.

MOBAs are just an expansion of WC3's hero units. I see you've never played both WC3 and any MOBA.

Same with MMOs. JRPGs are shit, FF, SMT, even Purse-Owner. Some exceptions like Chrono Trigger no grinding though so they are a-okay.

Most JRPGs are so easy you never need to grind, unless you run from every fucking battle. Random battles do suck though

RTT is a subgenre of RTS, so yes, Men of War and Wargame are RTS games. That's my point: you can't say you "hate all RTS games" when there's so many different types.

Kek, no.
Isometric means they're the same game?
They're completely different besides the fact you play from vaguely the same viewpoint and you click where to move.

ASSFAGGOTS are a fucking downgrade if you come from RTS though.

No one is saying they're the same game except you.

Huh? Dota ran in WC3 and Dota 2 plays pretty much the same. All the items, hero abilities, everything is based off the Hero Unit mechanic of Warcraft 3.

The knuckles stages in Sonic Adventure didn't play the same but it sure felt a hell of a lot similar. MOBA and RTS are more similar than that. Personally, I much prefer RTS but to say that they're nothing alike is retarded.

What's your point here? You're trying to act like all RTS games are similar to MOBAs because one of them uses the (easily modifiable, made to be easy to modify) WC3 engine & has drawn some inspiration from WC3. WoW also uses the WC3 engine, so it should be similar to an RTS with your logic, right? What you're saying is comparable to saying that CS:GO and Minecraft are alike because they're both first-person and involve shooting things.

I beat it.

Fighting games. Only ones I consistently enjoy so far have been the Ultimate Ninja series until Storm, Digimon Rumble Arena, War of the Monsters, Bloody Roar 2, Budokai Tenkaichi from DB and Dissidia: Final Fantasy. I absolutely can't stand how everything feels in a side scrolling space aside from the few I mentioned. I want to jump on shit and run around freely while approaching with attacks or powering up.

Really interested in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3, though. I have fond memories of 2 and it still looks rewardingly flashy and stylish with its skill ceiling.

Stop this retarded buzzword.

My man. Try Gotcha Force.

No, RTT is a subgenre of strategy, as is RTS.

No.
Also no.
If you hate resource management etc then you probably will not like strategic games that inherently cover logistics. You might well like tactical games that, unsurprisingly, only cover tactical engagements. This is why the RTS/RTT and TBS/TBT distinction is important (and indeed is why tactics and strategy are actually different things outside of vidya).

RTS is a subgenre of Strategy. RTT is a subgenre of RTS. As the name fucking tells you straight up, "Real Time Strategy." Strategy that is in real time. RTT is a different style of play, but it's still a Strategy game in real time. Pics also related
duckduckgo.com/?q=men of war assualt squad&atb=v53-3__&ia=web
duckduckgo.com/?q=wargame red dragon&atb=v53-3__&ia=web
Also yes.

is this some sort of new brand of template thread?

Thanks. Will do.

yes

Underrate post. ASSFAGGOTS are cancer and ruined the reputation of real RTS just by association

It's called Total War. Also Rome I and Medieval 2 are the best

Strategy =/= tactics, they play very differently. Again this distinction goes beyond video games and into real military terminology.
Are you really using screenshots from wikipedia to back up your arguments? Is that all you fucking have. And why are you using duckduckgo…
Retards mix up genres all the time, if all you've got is 'other people fuck this up too' then fuck off.

Typo on my part kek, I had just got out of a marathon Empire game and I guess I was still thinking about it
Never played Rome I but Medieval 2 was fun as hell, I can agree with that.

nah it has nothing to do with the same terms in different contexts, RTT is a subgenre of RTS you're just being asinine. Consider that RTT got its start in what are basically RTS games without basebuilding, where you start with all the units you have to finish the mission with and go from there. Some RTS games have certain missions that play more like a RTT game in that respect.

I'll also point out the pictures you posted (which came from fucking wikipedia) don't even support your claim: 'sometimes considered a subgenre of RTS' is a summary of how some people act, not an endorsement.
You're also arguing against thousands of years of military orthodoxy which divides up the tactical and strategic layers for good reason.

Bullshit, the first RTS game with conventional basebuilding didn't exist until the early 90s (Dune II) or maybe the late 80s RTS games without basebuilding existed earlier but were more like early GSG/4X games, RTT games have existed since the early 80s at least. Learn some vidya history.

Visual "puzzle" games or games where you have to pay attention to visual details like Myst/Riven or point-and-click adventures. My brain just scans an image, gives me the big picture but going back and looking for minute details just doesn't work.

And since we're apparently playing the 'screenshot wikipedia' game see picrelated from the RTS page. Chronologically it looks like, if they aren't separate genres, RTS should actually be considered a sub-genre of RTT and not the other way around.

How can a fucking rpgmade in flash be better than 90% of all other full scale commercial rpgs?
My only caveat with it is the weebish artstyle (though I got used to it) and that there are some memes and le ebin references XD here and there
but nothing reddit or tumblr tier
just old 4chan memes

I actually can no longer get into RTS MP matches because I no longer find them fun. I prefer comfy RTS games since whenever I do MP it turns into the following:
It literally is this every fucking time in every RTS I play against everyone I come across. The RTS Multiplayer guys seem like the special kind of asshole who is so full of themselves and call everyone they beat losers but as soon as they get defeated they scream with so much rage and butthurt you swear they were going to birth a new god. Like constantly playing against a bunch of toddlers, I never find them fun to fight, just annoying and tedious. Bots actually give me more of a fun challenge than most of them do since most AI's cheat heavily.
Best example of butthurt was when I caused the OpenRA devs to nerf Engineers to oblivion cause of their rage

This is why Chrono Trigger was one of the few JRPGs I've actually loved, all the enemies visible on the overworld where the battle actually takes place.
People love MOTHER so much but one of the reasons I couldn't get to it is because the battle system in which you don't even see your characters just doesn't cut it for me.

You're not acting differently my friend. Just tooting your own horn a little bit, aye?

Wasn't this game ONLY combat though? As in the worst part of a JRPG.

Well I just find it funny you will get anons who will declare that all RTS games should be focused around MP and you can only have fun in MP, think they are hot shit then are the first to cry and scream as soon you bring a tactic to the field they are completely unprepared for. It's tiresum honestly and turned me off playing RTS MP matches.

MOBAS and MMOS, I don't like the point and click+hotkey mechanics at all unless if it's a TTS or RTS.

MMOS don't break the mold for me either. They're either themepark mmos where you're instructed to kill x amount of monsters, or sandbox mmos that are a less interactive version of DayZ and Rust. The only one that was passable for me was GW2 and APB, but I quit before I made it to level 80. The least part I like about them is that they have a very high file size for something that's sparse. I would rather play Dwarf Fortress or SS13.

I can't get into turn based JRPGs like Final Fantasy. There has to be some gimmick like with Pokemon in order for me to really enjoy it, mainly because with stuff like Final Fantasy it's difficult for me to roleplay due to the lack of a clear main character you're supposed to roleplay as in the first place. I guess you just pick and choose, but eh. Not to mention they just bore me.

Try Ninja. He can alternate bomb and roll while in the air. Death from above!

Farming games, like Harvest Moon. I just can't get into these genres.

Play FFV.

I'm too slow for RTS but i'm better at Simulator games, even DOS-era simulators and sim racers.

But that has the problems he complained about and is also very difficult to get into.

Maybe it doesn't have a silent protagonist for him to self-insert, but how the fuck is it hard to get into? Also, it's worth playing for the job system alone.

It's usually a bit more than just standing across from each other and checking who has the fastest reflexes latency.

See, the big problem with Advance Wars is they want you to play the same way the AI does but with a bunch of things switched around (i.e. the AI can see through FoW but won't go near forest tiles if they know you're there while at the same time you don't need to go through a build order etc.) when really you should just learn two playstyles, one for dealing with the AI (which has GLARING exploits, some stated by the game itself, like throwing APCs as bait, and others that you'll find out by trial and error, such as the building patterns they AI has to go through so that you know which enemy to prioritize so that the limitless funds of the AI only produce innocuous Infantry or the likes) and another entirely different for dealing with human players.

Usually the best strat is to have a main platoon as a distraction to the enemy and to just move around the forest tiles with ground transports and loading and unloading infantries as you see fit, then storming their HQ. Works on most maps without even having to do that faggy reset strategy people use to manipulate the RNG. I say this because the enemy literally cannot stop sucking dicks when it comes to transports, also their air units try to move the maximum distance they can and do not understand the concept of resupplying.
Told ya mate, multi and single player campaign are completely different experiences, maybe you really need to get some of that multi experience. Alternatively, you can try and play AW Days of Ruin for the DS, since the AI of that game is actually bound to the rules of the game, tends to make much less retarded decisions and the COs aren't nearly as useful as in the original trilogy.

If you really wanna stick with the original ones though, let me give another couple of hints:

- Like I said previously, the AI in this game is kind of bonkers when it comes to their build orders. Usually they follow a strict checklist of which units they need (you can see that on maps like Spann Islands where you get similar results each time), the key factors are the COs deployed, how near your units are to their HQ and what kind of unit is nearest to one of their bases. You can feed it false information by killing specific units and/or sending units you want to be countered against by them (i.e. sending a copter within an air base will usually result in them building an AA, even if you have some tanks nearby that can easily fuck it up, similarly you can bait it into building an unit in a faraway base while their HQ lies undefended). The game tries to force you to do the same but most of the time you really don't, just learn the map layout instead, as it provides much more useful information.
- The game makes a huge deal about you having to conserve your units (lest you want a lower Technique level) and bases… But you really needn't. The only thing that matters in most maps is the enemy HQ. Routing only seems easier because the AI goes on suicidal attacks if they can get at least one of your units, but you'll soon see that routing is usually harder, longer and less fun than storming their primary defenses. It's okay to bait the AI into capturing your own cities or taking bases and airports, because, again, the AI only builds a set amount of certain units, so one Infantry capturing your building is still one Infantry less guarding the HQ or capturing a base closer to their own HQ. Don't force yourself to play too conservatively either, bait the opponent with a unit and get four more kills to your death toll. In a map like the one you just posted, the light tank is pretty much useless, so it's okay to put it somewhere the enemy will desperately try to reach it and counter with all your anti aerial devices.
- Try to spend in just the right amounts and only when the time is right. Again, the game and the AI make you feel pressured into keep building each turn to get your unit count to match the enemy and have these huge skirmishes that ultimately play like a WWI reenactment, but you really do not need to buy units all the time. Just pick something that gets you to the key chokes and buildings faster than the enemy can. Usually 4-ish Infantries are more than enough to capture all you need in the map. In multiplayer however, spamming is not only rewarded, it's basically a requirement to match the enemy, since they're not dumbasses with cheat codes and hence know that on capture-limit maps it all boils down to who gets the most territory colored the fastest.

I think it's just cause Max is insanely overpowered in the first game and Sami's COP hardly matters in this game anyway.

Hence we're working on one, mate.

That's a really insightful analysis of AW's AI. I must admit we haven't spent much time on AI yet, we've focussed on getting mutliplayer up and running first before we focus on AI. How could we, in your view, best make an AI that is both a challenge to face, without being unfair or easy to exploit?

Alright, thanks.

I think I was starting to pick up on that, as I was playing through more maps, but I didn't think about these kinds of exploits.
Going gung ho for the base in particular seems counterintuitive to how they want you to play, but it's also been the most effective.

In Kanbei's error I started realizing stuff like this, towards the tail end of the mission. And just kept throwing cannon fodder at Kanbei's forces in the lower right, while I went about capturing and neutering his army after taking out his transport copters.
I really do think I'm missing out, though, since a human player wouldn't be like this, and would actually abide by the same rules, as well as like, not swarm a single transport copter with literally their entire army, as soon as it gets close.

Oh, and the game suddenly became way more enjoyable when I turned every animation off, since at that point the missions went from taking like, twenty to thirty mintues, to five.

Openworld RPGs where you have to listen to a lot of stupid bullshit about muh deepest lore. It just feels retarded being a person that runs around and listens to people's inane problems

Back when I smoked weed I was all over that type of shit (Witcher, TES, Fallout) but now that I'm sober I need something that gets the blood moving (fightan games, Souls). Though i do love a good turn-based game

I'll burn my usual sacrifices praying something will come out of this

Well I'm in no way an expert on this matter, I just have a lot of game hours on all three mainline games and have at least finished DoR and fucked around with trial maps. At the moment having a stable and synced multiplayer is much better than making a great AI for this kind of strategy games. I have some suggestions though since I remember my AWBW days and how frustrating these things were like:

- Deal with FTA. It stands for First Turn Advantage and it's basically the notion that when two players of similar skill duke it out on a symmetric map (like most AW Versus 2p maps are), the second player always starts with an enormous disadvantage. In the specific case of AW, since he always buys his units after the first player, not only are his choices limited to counters, he will always reach valuable resources last. Counters to this problem are a highly disputed topic, generally speaking the workarounds were:

- Consider adding timed rounds to your game like in vid related. I swear this was the most fucking infuriating thing about AWBW, you could have to make just two or three moves and be done and then you'd have to pick up the next day because the opponent lived in some turd world country and only had internet access at 3 in the fucking morning. Basically:

-Make it so units do not move up to the place they're headed to before initiating an attack. I swear, I've seen so many times assholes use Recons to "scan" FoW maps by tossing them wherever and rolling back their actions because they were left conveniently next to an APC or a building they could get fuel form.

-Force Stealth units to be deployed in stealth mode already, so they have an actual use.

-Give the players both the Max and Min damage they can deal, instead of that average percentage the game gives you (look up more of this guy's videos to see what I mean)

(cont.)
As for the AI…As I told you, there's jewtube videos made by much bigger autists than me who can truly explain the complexity and problems the AW AI faces on a level I can't really give you. Generally speaking it's impossible to create a great AI without giving it a bit of a leeway (for instance, the world's fastest Rubik Cube solver uses heuristics to choose pseudorandomly the first moves, then recognizes a pattern within like a hundred thousand-ish of those that it knows how to solve easily and just applies that solution to the problem, the Chess/Shogi/Sudoku solvers also do something akin to that). To make it truly challenging, the AI should be able to play with the "meta", which boils down to one of two approaches - either you make it a "learning AI" but then you have to waste countless hours and games doing trial and error strategies to push it to its limits and even then you're always going to find that one fucking move that fucks it up for good, OR, you could plan it around what the concept of "meta" really is. I think this later one is better, but it requires that "the AI cheats, but it's really good at pretending it's not". Basically, it should be able to preemptively see all the unit placements on the map (to gauge your attack range and your maximum distance from key areas such as buildings, chokes or FoW forests), regardless of stealth or hiding; then it should be able to know how much money you'll get the following turn (so it will know what kind of units you could deploy, merging notwithstanding); finally, let him know your star meter, if there's one. After doing so, use a pseudorandom variable to choose, within a range, the precision the AI should know these things (i.e. you have an Inf hidden at the center of three Forest tiles in FoW, the AI knows you're in the middle one but you artificially force it to think that you only have a 60% chance of being in it, with the remaining 40 split evenly between the other two tiles or more, usually think of a "diamond" formation like the one for the Silos), apply heuristics to the optimal path it should follow to get wherever it wants or build whatever it wants, then use more of said random variables to make it so it has a chance of deviating from the would-be optimal solution. To avoid it being too predictable, add a random chance of having certain units follow a specific set of rules that eschew the AI's following of the meta, i.e. a Tank spawns acting completely different from the rest of the army, maybe just straight up charging at the enemy HQ for no other reason but because it's its purpose to do so.

That's because unless you know beforehand the requirements for Time, Tech and Power for an S rank, you just assume that you have to kill everyone and save as many units as possible playing it very safe. But once you learn how lenient the game is, you can breeze through a good chunk of the War Room maps.
Human strats revolve around being the first to get to a key resource and holding the line as long as possible; spamming Mechs (sometimes Recons, in DoR it was Bikes), cheap but durable units that serve your purpose of capturing most of the map; or back-capping the enemy HQ and using those "it's so crazy it might just work" strats like building nothing but a fuck-you Neotank and a trailing Inf while the enemy spams useless units at you.
Yeah, they're only ever enjoyable when you're on the very last turn or if you wanna make a montage, sadly. Too bad, because the animations are really pretty. Use Animation Type D (I think it was the fastest one), but be sure to switch back to full-animations when:
-fighting in FoW maps, so you can see who the fuck is hitting you, especially against Sonja
-gauging how much chip damage your unit gets (contrary to what the game tells you, 10HP is more like 10.0, so a full HP unit that mows down Infantry will be at like 9.5ish but still count as 10 to the game's UI).

Never played Advance Wars, but there is a general sort-of fix for first turn advantage, whether the game is Chess or whatever: After white started, black can decide either to continue the game as usual or to switch player positions and become white. This isn't always perfect fix however: The one who is the original white still has a bit of an advantage because white had more time to think about the ramifications of a particular way of starting the battle before the battle even started. So, this type of balancing fix works better when the field you play in is not known before the battle, but a surprise for the players right at the start of it.

You're talking about the first two games which kupo707 made back in 2009
It turns into a full on rpg with quests from the third game onward
It's unbelievable that the dev managed to make such a full fledged high quality game in flash
He later released the fourth game on steam with some additional content but you can find it on piratebay if you don't give a shit about steam

Everyone that dislikes JRPG's dislikes them because Holla Forums recommends pieces of shit. Everyone in the world thinks that shitty piece of shit Square Enix and Nintendo games is all JRPG's have to offer. Even the "obscure, hardcore" ones recommended by supposed contrarians are still shitty piece of shits like Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 2 and SMT IV or SMT IV:A, some of the worst games in Atlus' line-up.
all shit.
it's like being hesitant to try cheeseburgers and everyone tells you to go to McDonald's for the best burgers in the world, and now you think that's what all burgers is like. stop listening to retards. Square has never developed a good game in history.

I feel the same way about those games. People keep hammering about how "Strategic" it is, but they are rarely difficult. Even in the 90's I found these games boring and it definitely has to do with the combat. I tolerated them because that was the only thing back then and some of the games were interesting in and of itself but I consider real time combat to be superior. It's just more engaging. Something about turn base just feels like it was made for people who are slow at everything they do and can't really think and plan ahead quick enough. What that said I'll still play a game if it's interesting enough and when I'm just taking it easy on a rest day from the gym.

I can't think of anything I truly dislike, but yeah, Mobas, JRPGs, citybuilders and grand strategy are probably lowest on my list of interest, although grand strategy is mostly because I just feel a bit intimidated by them. Beyond that I'll play pretty much anything.

It would help if you suggested one or two that you thought were good.

Well i must admit we started off with Advance wars we're starting to add things now, buildable defenses and a day-night rythem. I should also mention we started very small and simple not to burn out on scope. I've noted all your comments mate and i've discussed them with the team. Well make good use of all of this!

here's some more screenshots from an older version, btw

Oh that's good to hear. By the way, I thought I was imagining that video but here it is. This is what I mean by displaying the full damage range instead of just the average one.

Stealth games. I think the concept of stealth games are really cool and it excites me, but every stealth game I play I struggle and really don't enjoy it

Then what would you suggest I play then? Didn't the golden age of JRPGs past when it was on the PS1? Hit me up, I'm willing to try something.

Persona 2 innocent sin and eternal punishment are pretty damn good (IS needs a translation patch for the ps1 version or you can find it on psp with the only censorship that has ever made anything actually better (Hitler wears shades now))
Xenogears is worth a play if you like a complex and well-written story. Disc 2 suffered for ff8's budget, sadly. Features giant robots and martial arts
Star Ocean 2 was pretty good
Valkyrie Profile is excellent, even if you'll probably need a guide to get the good ending

I will try those out. Thank you for the recommendations, hopefully they change my views on JRPG. If there is something coming up that you are knowledgeable about let me know, I have also been recommended Cold Steel, don't know how that is.

Try Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker HD