Unique Games

Hey Holla Forums what are some genuinely unique games that you've played? For me it would have to be Oddworld's Stranger's Wrath I've never seen a game like it since.

Ice Pick Lodge games and anything Suda 51 prior to No More Heroes are impossible to categorize in both story/atmosphere and gameplay.

Ecco (and Ecco 2 ofc)
Also Oddworld's Abe Exoddus and Oddysee (Munch's Oddysee a shit)

Has there been any game like Lost Vikings?
Like, a platformer where you have to switch between characters with totally different abilities to get through the levels.

Undertale :^)

Unique in gameplay or story.

Trine?

Did they ever fix the PC version?

Yes, the Steam version is fine now.

Yes they fixed it

Gameplay

I should replay that game. I've only ever gotten to the plot twist but then never finished it.

To be fair, I haven't seen the combination of gameplay before, but you can categorize it easily and it didn't do enough with it.

Mount & Blade manages to be an action game, a rpg, a tactical combat game and a strategy game with horses and norses.

mmmm poopie haha

Battlezone.

It's an FPS and RTS at the same time.

USA vs USSR cold war in space.

Mah nigga

I've never seen a game that has managed to be like herdy gurdy

What was unique about Original War, this article just talks about the story.

No making units rts.

Stranger's Wrath was pretty interesting. A weird take on the FPS/Action Platformer genre(s). I liked it a lot when I played it. Which was ages ago.
Seek and Destroy despite not having aged well was also fairly interesting too. Or was. I honestly only remember playing it yonks and yonks ago on my PS2.
Speaking of old games, War of the Monsters is also kind of unique. Third person 3d (in arena/battling environment as well as graphics) fighting game with thoroughly destructible environments. I would love to see a remake. I don't think too many 3d-fighting-space fighting games have been released. I also remember it about as well as Seek and Destroy. Mantis a best waifu.
Dwarf Fortress is, memes aside, a very unique piece of kit. Regardless of quality, it should be recognized as something pretty unusual.

Not too sure how unique it was, but Custom Robo gets an honorable mention from me, too.

Years ago, I played Napoleon on GBA. I stopped the game when Joan of Ark asked Napoleon to give her the Rosetta Stone so she could get more witchcraft powers.
Gameplay-wise it's a standard RTS.

The Last Horizon by Arcen Games. It's like a 4xstrategy game and a shump

I MISS WHEN SHIT LIKE THIS ACTUALLY HAD A BUDGET
I WANT TO GO BACK!!!

No, he's got a point. What other stealth games have time stop, blink, and rat summoning?

Original because it's a "stealth" game where stealth is completely optional and going full berserk is more entertaining.

He didn't say that but even if he did he'd be right.

I've always been a sucker for giant monsters.
I hope they remaster it one day, i'd love to play it online against 4 people.
Robo 47 was my favorite monster.
i know it's on PS4, but i'd have liked it to be on PC too.
Sucks that Evolve died, that filled my niche for a while.

No, seriosuly now.

It might not be unique, since it has stealth in it or because it's a first person shooter,or because you have weapons.

No game is unique, every game shares some similarities.

You sure?

Oh man, I remember this, it never got to one of the stores in my country, but I played it nonstop
PCSX2 nig, same shit and its free

Prove me wrong.

Yes, i am

Kill yourself

Is WatchDog's 2 one of these Ubisoft games where you are in an open-world environment with a map full of "points of interests" (ie places to go to start either a side mission or a story mission), "fortresses" you have to take from the enemies in order to control a zone, and lots of gadgets even though you end up only using a few of them?

now that's what I call shitposting

WD2 is just one iteration of their open world model, what are you smoking?
Siege though, you might have a case since it's a unique take on a very widespread genre. It's not alien or even weird by a long shot, but being prominently stealth-focused is a unique trait in a 5v5 FPS.

Top Skater, Bloody Roar

PATA

PATA

PATA

PON

I just finished replaying Stranger's Wrath. Just as good as I remembered, and just as bad with that one bullshit timed run right before the end. I loved bagging the different bounties, just a shame it was stuck in very static arenas. Prey 2 could've been a successor of sorts, but we know that's a bust now. Here's my list.

Boktai
Billy Hatcher
Blast Corps
Rampage
Marble Blast Ultra
Katamari

The plot is cool but Soul Reaver is a pretty average 3d paltformer for its time.

oh yeah this series is fairly unique, too

Sunless Sea is up there in uniqueness, though the gameplay isn't super special, it's world is cool as hell. A Lovecraftian underground sea opens up underneath London, and you sail through it. There's shit like smuggling human souls, a city where people move to from the surface because you don't die there until your body crumbles to dust, and the general complete insanity that comes from old gods and stuff.

Suck my balls, I'm aware of the reputation.

They just released it on X-One and Win10 store.

It's free to play with multiplayer microtransactions.

PATRICIAN TASTE user

The Void/Tension and Pathologic (the HD version) are must plays from Ice Pick Lodge, not sure about Knock-Knock because I never tried it.

the cake is lie xdddddddddddddd
staying alive xddddddddddddddddddddd

Well you're certainly not going to find any games which could be considered unique if "simplified dark messiah" is the highest you'll set your standards.

Prove me wrong. I'm begging you

It's not like it's a huge time investment, it's about three hours long, you could play it tonight.

hybrid heaven. it's a sci-fi-adventure-third-person-shooter-RPG-wrestling-fighting game and is easily one of the greatest things i've ever played

For a game that length I may as well watch a stupid letsplayer or something

Urban Assault did the same thing later on

THIS NIGGER RIGHT HERE

Also, Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves. A mix of 3D action and tower defense. It might sound similar to something like Orcs Must Die, but it's not silly happy funtime in the same way. Werewolves are hardcore and will fuck you up quick, and you NEED traps to live. Later on you fight demonic spirits, shapeshifters, and god damn Wendigos. And you need to stop them from breaking your shit or you lose, and your shit is scattered and you need to run all over the place and place traps to kill shit fast or hold the off while you go to clean up and jesus fuck it gets hectic quick.
Good game for my tastes, but it's low budget indieshit. As always try before you buy.

Kula World

:^)

Super Monkey Ball?

Pikmin/Overlord

I can't shill this game enough

Shit was great, wish they could make more.

God damn, what a fun game. I played through the whole thing a couple of times, and blew way more hours than I should have playing the multiplayer challenges and other stuff with my brother.
The flying boss was really silly. Though not as silly as the battleship boss

Battle Zone was cool as shit

Fug, last game I played was Abes Odyssey 2. I loves the setting of Oddworld, what's Strangers Wrath like? Is it worth a pirate?

That one Sonic game, right?

You know I recently replayed Portal 1, and I really have to say I love the atmosphere. They nailed a sense or paranoia and isolation even before the reveal that the announcer was an insane robot, and the change between the sterile test chambers and the 'backstage' of the game was pretty nuts first time I played through, and even in my recent replay got me a little bit excited.

GLaDOS was actually a pretty interesting character as well, probably the best AI villain since SHODAN before the sequel and the memes ruined her. The whole bound and gagged woman design as well as the weird lines she spoke once you broke out of the testing chambers and up until the end did a decent job setting me on edge my first time through.

It's worth a pirate. It's mostly a western game with oddworld characters, but still has enough flavor with the gameplay. You switch between 3rd and 1st person depending on the kind of fighting you want to do. 3rd person is melee and running, while 1st person turns into an fps with "critter" ammo that can stun or rope up outlaws. You get double or more money for bringing in outlaws alive, so the game's difficulty changes on how badly you want the money. There are 11 bounties for bosses that can all be taken alive. The conditions to knock them out take a bit to get the hang of, but aren't too bad. Money is used for upgrades you want. You heal by using a slowly recharging stamina meter, but it only works when you're not being hit and only charges when you're moving slowly/standing. Shit gets really crazy once you bag the final bounty and the change in focus may throw you off. It's only 12 hours max, so definitely try it at least for the first couple of bounties.

Yes its worth a pirate for sure

Some SNES (I think) Wizard of Oz did that.

for what it is, it's pretty worth it

That has switchable characters but not meaningfully. Something like Majora's Mask would be closer.

Heroes.

It is okay. I liked the first one too, and to be fair most of the BBT fans never actually finished the game at all.

Mr Shitface made a game called The Cave with a similar concept.

But is it worth a buy.

Yea its worth a buy get it next steam sale.

Portal felt like one of those experimental games that got handed to a professional dev studio to polish, except the developers polished it well.

Probably because that's exactly what happened

Portal 2 was still okay.

Ecco in general is such a crazy series. Not because it does anything too crazy in of itself (the shit with the asterite is still pretty crazy, though), but because it does something so seemingly bland ("You play as a DOLPHIN that fights ALIENS! also, time travel!") so very, very well.

I just wish there were more games where you played as non-humanoids, honestly. The only other decent games that come to mind are Spyro 1-3.

its kinda rare to see native American themed games, let alone sci-fi native American games.

speaking of rare things to see in games heres one about cyber-cannibalism

Darkest of Days is really something.

There are very few Police games that actually behave like police games.

Uplink. Are there even other games that allow me to become a true Hollywood hacker?

hacknet gets pretty close

Red faction. Still no fucking one have destroyable environment.

You wot?

first game is Prey

OneShot can be considered another adventure/puzzle game but the way it's presented is very unique.

Umm, no, Prey just came out.

Colobot. Not many games where you can program AI into robots for gameplay purposes.

All I want is a sequel with a co-op mode and vs mode.

Flow, flower, and journey I suppose, but they're real laid back and not meant to be particularly challenging. I think they're all from the same dev as well.

This. I never played any other game about talking tanks. Though you have to limit yourself to make the game hard, that bouncing bomb makes you invincible.

Catherine?

The frantic herding of survivors in a 3rd person action setting that Dead Rising does stands out to me. It's disappointing that the sequels went back on it instead of developing it further, I would like a full game about it.

The EEnE game on GBA

Really neat game. I tried it, hated it, then after wanting to go back to it I tried out their webgame for a while. After playing the webgame I had more of a grasp of the lore and I went back to Sunless Sea and loved it, and I'm looking forward to Sunless Skies.
Real unfortunate for the webgame though since it follows the phonegame play-to-not-wait formula, and essentially the entire game is dicerolling and reading trying to put together the the backstory and setting of the world, which I find really interesting, but it just isn't worth the amount of time you have to put into it. If I could pay a flat fee and have the game take out the candle system so I could just burn through it I probably would.

no, that's nuPrey, easy to get confused I know

Linear RPG's aren't particularly common in the first place. But the setup to this was pretty interesting. And the combat system felt weird.
It had its flaws, but it wasn't a bad game. I'd say 6/10 at best and 5/10 at worst