What are the must play old school JRPGs and ARPGs?

What are the must play old school JRPGs and ARPGs?

Final Fantasy VI
Y's
Chrono Trigger

Neverwinter Nights
A Dance With Rogues
Divinity II
Icewind Dale

Dragon Quest III (SFC Remake)
MOTHER (FC)
Ys IV: Dawn of Ys (PC Engine)
That's it for me.

Lunar 1 and 2
Grandia
Dragon Quest V
Final Fantasy V
Phantasy Star IV
Shin Megami Tensei 1

If you're older than 10, they aren't fun.

do they have to be fun? they distract you from suffering.

and also
saga 2
arc the lad 1+2
breath of fire 2

ARPG
Ys, Quintet games (ActRaiser, SoulBlazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma)
RPG
Just use this guy's list, he seems to know what's what

MANA

might as well request SRPG in this thread as well.

Nothing.

None. All of them are weeaboo dogshit
Diablo 2. You're welcome

We should really start charging goons like you 10 dollars to post.

Diablo 2 is braindead garbage, you should feel ashamed of your shit taste.

Phantasy star 4.

Remember when Holla Forums was good? me neither

My nigga

To this day, PS4 was the only RPG I felt like playing through it again after beating it due to how good it was.

Remember when i fucked youre mom last night in the ass?
I do.

Aside from 3 all classic PS games are worth playing even if they aren't "user friendly" as PS4. And when i say user friendly i mean that PS2 with it's later dungeons is insane and you should not even attempt to play that game without making your own map with pen and paper.

Play falcom games

PS1 I really like because the first person dungeons are the shit.
PS2 and 3 (especially 3) felt really boring without the First person dungeons so I never actually got too far in either regardless of difficulty later on.
PS4 though is such a step up in gameplay it doesn't even matter.

Iv just finished Dragon Quest 1,2 and 3 on the SNES and now i understand why this series is so popular in japan. Highly recommend them. Specifically in order tho.

if only there was a real game like in OP's pic
that would be such a good art style; not nessecairly the one in the pic, but that you could push a button combo to remove the UI until you pushed it again, and every time you dont have the UI out whats onscreen looks like a highly-detailed painting

Ultima VII is really fun. It has a clunky interface that is hard to get used to like other ARPGs at the time but after that the game becomes a blast to play. Use pic related as your map and avoid the SNES version at all costs.

Thanks for the map, those unidentified land masses are annoying when traversing the sea.
I've been playing it using Exult with the GOG version since it stutters a lot without it.

I haven't done any dungeon exploring yet and I'm at the fellowship retreat. Are dungeons quest specific or do you explore them at your own will?

Since the game was build to be more open-ended I'm sure that you can explore any dungeon in the original game at your own will.

Well that's good since I need to improve my magic skills, I was just worried about fucking up some quests further down the line by doing something I shouldn't in a dungeon

So I'm a goon just because I think old-school JRPGs are shit?

Kill yourself.

Pretty much every golden-age MegaTen.

They can all be emulated (though a few of them haven't been translated)

Are the Dragon Quest games related or is it "every game is a different universe" shctick?

What about the Breathe of Fire games?

I think only 1-3 are connected.

1-3 are directly connected
4-6 are loosely connected because they share the same mythos
7 and beyond are all unconnected

Give Lufia a shot. Start with the second game, not the first.

The Breath of Fire series is pretty decent, though they don't do much different from the Dragon Quest series up until the fourth or fifth installment. The fifth installment, from what I've read, is both the most unique and least liked of the series. There's also a sixth, but I can't for the life of me find out anything about it other than it's a phone game that's got some fans pissed off.

no, bumhurt weeb

ff6 sucks compared to ff7

Phantasy Star II is notable, at least to me, because it's absolutely masochistic to the player. Not only is the combat challenging, but the dungeons are maddening to navigate without a map. And what is it all for? The story repeatedly kicks the player in the balls.

To sum it up: "In order to save anybody, you have to kill almost everybody". 90% of the system's population gets wiped out, civilization resets to 0 without Mother Brain - leading to a dark ages that lasts 1,000 years. The only natively habital planet in the system is obliterated, leaving only the frozen ice world and desert planet for people to try to survive on. Earthlings go extinct, either by being slaughtered or through the survivors being interbreed into the local population. And to top it off… your party is heavily implied to have died in the end and aside from a very few individuals, anyone who might have remembered your names would curse them throughout history as villains beyond compare.

That's the win state. That's the happy ending.

It's pretty funny how weeaboos have to resort to tumblr feminist style buzzwords.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to suggest this.

It's like says. 1-3 are directly connected(though you can still play any of them without having played the other two), 4-6 don't have much to do with each other besides being set in the same universe, and everything after that is it's own thing.

As for Breath of Fire, there isn't much connection between games, except that the protagonist is always a blue-haired guy named Ryu who can turn into a dragon and one of the party members is always a blonde, winged girl named Nina.