TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine

What are some of your favorite games for the system? These are some of mine.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!PVwzlRaY!NG97t-5KbM27eGoCxJ0zTd0TCGKpRG3JQr4agLDuO1I
hes.joshw.info/
playlegit.net/2012/10/05/turbo-grafx-16pc-engine-buyers-guide-how-to-do-it-right/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Two best shooters on the system:

Vertical - Blazing Lazers

Horizontal - Gate of Thunder

Valkyrie Densetsu
Bonks (all of them)
Shubuniman 2-3
Popful Mail

I forget the rest, I deleted my isos and roms.

I love cotton!

might be my favorite batman game, though i quite liked the genesis batman and robin

I don't much like the TG16, as I don't have the fucking CD addon, and I don't like it enough to buy a Duo Arcade R, but I still have an Everdrive.

Naxat made more games that the pinball ones? I'm surprised.

BOY

I could be wrong, but doesn't the turbo everdrives allow you to play CD games as well?

Turns out Dawn is better than the SNES and Vita games. Hudson new it at the time too. Today you'll have more fun playing it than either of the newer canon games.

Still, I hope you're not one of the faggots from the falcom thread.

I'm one of the faggots from the Falcom thread.

sage filtered

The only exclusive I've played on it is Rayxanber 3.

I didn't like it quite as much as Books 1 and 2. It felt a lot more railroaded to me and the higher frequency of cutscenes got a little tedious after awhile, since the story has never really been one of Ys' strong points. Other than that, it's a great game.

Can you get me a job at XSEED? I can't speak Japanese, but I know how to use Google Translate.

I don't think they're hiring right now, sorry :^(

Steam hearts and Dragon something or other.

The system has no copy protection, but the CD addon, if you aren't buying a dead one fraudulently marked as "worked when I last used it but I don't have a TG16 anymore", costs almost as much as a Neo Geo. The Everdrive is really only good for HuCard ROMs, the few pieces of homebrew stuff, and translation patches (have yet to get an IPS patch for a TG16 game to do anything but crash the system).

Rondo of Blood is so much better than Dracula X.

Also the first two Ys games are awesome, my favorite versions of the first games.
I liked Ys 3 too, but it looks like nobody else did, playing Ys IV now, looks pretty cool so far.

Ys 3 is disliked because of how different it is from the rest of the series, like with Zelda 2. It's a fantastic side-scrolling RPG, but side-scrolling RPGs are about as niche as a genre can get.

I like it.

Sadly, the power cable is dead and I don't know what I need to replace it, but I still have the games, my favorite games from when I was a kid.

Is TGFX16 worth emulating? I've been on a collection spree with old ROMs and such so I'm curious. I never got one of these so I'd need a list of recommendations to start on like this thread has been so kind to do.

Rondo of Blood is probably the best classicvania atleast, if youre at all into those

Aside from what's been post already:
Ninja Spirit
Splatterhouse
Cadash
Salamander
Exile 1 and 2
Cosmic Fantasy
Spriggan
Super Raiden
There are a lot more, but I can't think of them right now.

10.5V DC negative tip. A Genesis 1 power supply would work fine.

You guys ready for The Legend of Xanadu I & II to be finally translated?

mega.nz/#!PVwzlRaY!NG97t-5KbM27eGoCxJ0zTd0TCGKpRG3JQr4agLDuO1I

Here's some roms from the old Reddit 4chan's recommended games wiki, so you can get started.

I liked The Legendary Axe I & II quite a lot.

Seriously? Who's doing the translation?

Bonk / PC Genjin. /thread

You imported nip games when you were a kid?

No. The CD system has no copy protection however, so if you can find a Duo you can easily play burnt games on it.

Friendly reminder that if you collect this console and haven't done a full recap, or don't know what that is, get on it NOW.
NEC used cheap electrolytic capacitors that are infamous for leaking a semi-corrosive fluid onto the motherboards. Ignore it and your console will literally eat itself alive. The best way to do this is get a decent soldering iron and do a few cheap practice kit projects to learn the basics of soldering, and do it yourself.
You could also send it to a console modder, but I advise against that unless you have a hot glue fetish.

I'll probably buy one of those soon. I'll also have to take a look at what I exactly have already, the cables I used where weird, with tape all over them and multiple tips.

I have no fucking clue where my parents got these, they had all of that way before I was born, and they are not interested in technology and gaming at all, I think my mom said she found a box on the street one day during the "bulky waste collection" (I don't even know if that translates well, but in France, we got a day where people can put their shit on the street so that other people can collect things they'll use, and the next day, things that weren't picked up are collected by the trashmen)

Ys 1-4 on PC Engine is the gold standard, and the fan translation of 4 is one of the most well crafted translations ever made, a work of love.

romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=12365.0

you can find trusted ones fairly easy, check out associated forums, twitter, etc. contact voultar or the retro rgb guy, bob, to see if they can help.

plus soldering really is not hard.

Too bad it will forever be associated with that Nightwolve sperg. That rant about "The X.X.XSEED Cock-Flasher" he put in the readme that came with the patch was some next-level autism.

That's really exciting. I didn't think people still did translations for PC-Engine games.

What is it with old ass fuckers still on this site and still thinking anyone wants to talk about their shitty beep boop outdated garbage? Go get laid you fat fucking loser.

Go on, tell us about your exciting sex life.

Patrician taste

My top picks:
Strategy: Military Madness
RPG: Ys: Book I&II
Side scroller shooter: Aero Blasters, R-Type, Air Zonk (for pure confiness)
Platformer/Action sidescroller: Cadash, Legendary Axe, Ninja Spirit (confy)

Go fuck off to IGN

vidya is timeless

Get a gf losers.

The problem there is how are they going to get around the lack of actual subtitles.

There's no way to, so they are going to make an English dub instead.

I didn't think it was possible to make that stage music even better

TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine has a god-tier sound chip, it's right up there with the N163 and YM2151+SPCM
Fuck, there are a lot of chips I like but can't label

Fucking great, but my favorite will always be vid related.

Guys. Recommend me some soundtracks
hes.joshw.info/
Browse here.

Were there any good sport games or dungeon crawler games on the thing?

Nice, also i presume it's a PC engine, and not one of those european turbos?

I wish they'd bloody release the patch now instead of making us all wait for their rubbish american dub.

I just dug it up. I don't really know the details about it. I'll have to clean it up and buy new cables to see if it still works.

Should work with a standard RF switch (or bare-ass RCA cable with an RCA to coaxial plug adapter), and a Genesis 1 AC adapter. Huzzah for the almost universal power requirements of eighties consoles and such.

DO NOT USE THE NES POWER BRICK WITH ANYTHING BUT AN NES, AS IT ONLY STEPS DOWN AC VOLTAGE, AND DOES NOT MAKE DC
The other way around is safe. You can use any DC 9/10 volt adapter with the NES, because its power inverter is inside the system itself.

Fuck yeah, that & Paranoia were some great shmups.

bump.

I was thinking of getting a PC engine/turbografx for a while now. any tips? already have 2 TG16 games but no console. I'm pretty with hardware mods, so I'll probably do region free, s-video etc.

This is fairly in-depth guide about all things related to the PC Engine/Turbografx.
playlegit.net/2012/10/05/turbo-grafx-16pc-engine-buyers-guide-how-to-do-it-right/
Also, if you're okay with burning CDs, these games are very easy to emulate and they run pretty well on things like Magic Engine and Ootake. Magic Engine is probably the better of the two. The guy who made it actually wants people to buy if they want to play games on it for more than ten minutes, but you can just pirate the complete version(which allows you to play as long as you want) from the ISO Zone. It should be one of the first things listed under PCE/Turbografx games.

For those who are interested, embed is a pretty good TurboGrafx game review channel.