Polygon writes about Valve

Archive.is link:
archive.is/uJmCW
Original Link:
please use archive.is/2017/5/16/15622366/valve-gabe-newell-sales-origin-destructive

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/1Wr9l
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Now if only we can get people to apply this to every non-human entity.

*except dogs

WOAH HOW BRAVE OF POLYGON
Did they stop getting bribes or are they writing this so Reddit can give them clicks over normalfag controversy?

Why would you voluntarily read anything they write? It's obvious Valve are jews, who cares that some clickbait shithole is acknowledging it for clicks and upvotes?

Bet they got shekels from EA to write this?

oh noo noo it only namedrops Origin at least 6 times.

They're too predictable

FOOLS, THIS IS GONNA BRING DOOM TO US ALL

Who is this "we"?

Polygon is a subsidiary of Vox Media, which is a known Microsoft shill outfit.

pretty slick move to pay Polygon to write about shitty business practices because no one will ever bother learning anything from this and the reverse psychology will just further enable their good goy tendencies.

This. They're scared of Linux getting a foothold with Steam.

Also Gabe publicly called Windows 8 and Windows 10 "disasters" because they directly threaten Steam's business model by turning desktops into mobile phones with app stores.

Hey I didn't read it, I can only imagine the horrors inside.

Polywho?

Polygoon

Nice to see that Holla Forums isn't retarded enough to go all "based Polygon".

Pozzycoon?

As usual, Polygon doesn't understand business and capitalism.

Pozygoon

Well then that explains it, if those are true

Polygon, the same website that tried to tell SledgeHammer how to make games about WWII.

So Polygon's just salty that nobody likes them?

As much I like to shit on Valve for their fuckups, they at least don't seem to be actively malicious unlike EA or say Polygon's parent company Micro$oft.
That said there seems to be massive disconnect between Valve and their customer base, which is to say the least a massive problem considering they have like 80% of the PC videogame market.

GhauginGhippers

have they ever thought that just maybe people and organizations change over time?

Why do you lie to yourself like this?

That quote is from a 2000 Gamespot review of Alien Resurrection.

The guy who wrote this article was part of the GameJournoPros list and involved in the "Gamers are dead" article blitz, just in case you didn't know. Get ready for "Gamers are even more dead" because (((they))) won't let their plans crumble because a bunch of nerds just want to play video games.

Considering that Microsoft is pushing UWP as a replacement for EXE, to the point where the newest "light" variants of Windows 10 can only run UWP applications, there might not be any other choice.

Who cares what Polygon said?

Good guy gabe was REAL.

GatorGolfers!

I haven't read it yet but I'm sure folks at Polygon tried to play HL2, failed it and then got angry

game journos write about something Holla Forums has known to be true for years and years to show that they're totally on our side guise
Shit, not even just Holla Forums. I don't think even people who were hardcore valvedrones years ago still believe it now.

I'm shocked that Valve doesn't care about customers. Shocked.

On any one hand, I'm surprised to see Polygon be truthful for once, on the other hand, I suspect this is due to them being butthurt about something. Various steam forums and mod forums have been overrun with a sudden spike in sjws as well screeching about anything that does not sit well with their moral leanings.

even a polygone clock is right twitce a day

Valve is a non publicly traded company, unlike nearly all of its competitors. Which means that the people using Steam are still the customers.

While Origin/Windows Store/etc you are the consumer, the shareholders are the customers.

what the fuck

When will this meme die?

What a fantastic timeline we're living in now.

What the fuck?

Get out

it's polygon shilling origin, you can't expect them to be subtle

That meme isn't Gaben friendly captain gaylord.

What a good doggo.

Meanwhile…

Yeah, most of the Origin stuff is in the comments.

What?

Making up shit and repeating it until people believe you is considered proper journalism these days. Expect the tax-dodging line to show up again and again over the next few months.

I feel like they slipped that phrase in there expecting people to not notice it and just take it for granted.
This is so fucking scummy. Dodging taxes is a BIG accusation for fuck's sake.

It is rather disgusting to realize that we've never seen journalism that wasn't just corporate sniping and manufactured press releases.

If it makes you feel any better
It's gamergate all the way to the top with the clique shit.
We're going to need more Hulk Hogans.

That's been pretty obvious for a while. They own the PC gaming market, and yet they paint themselves as this small indie company who're made up of people just like you, unlike those nasty corporate giants. Still, you can do worse than Valve. At least they're smart enough to realise that pretending to be nice to your customers will win you more business than spitting in their faces.

It's not an assertion, it's an implication. And they're implying that the mentioned companies (Uber, etc) are avoiding employee payroll taxes by contracting amateur labor, which they factually are. Their tax burden would be significantly greater if they employed a traditional work force, to the point that it would likely not be a profitable endeavor. They're merely suggesting that Valve is doing the same thing with respect to community-generated content.

It'd be nice if they had some proof that Valve was doing that, but that would involve getting out of the air-conditioned office and asking tough questions. Better to just assume and spice up a bullshit story that way.

How does that work? Don't you have to pay taxes to hire someone, regardless of them being amateur or not? Or do you mean they're paying them illegally, like unregistered labor?

Contractors aren't employed directly by the corporation, technically. They're independent, and agree to perform a task or service for the corporation under the terms of a contract. It's like if you hire an electrician; you do not become his employer. He has to deal with his own taxes, insurance, etc. Same deal.

That's not the same as dodging taxes at all, that's just finding a way around paying more money for employees, but it's legal.

Is "Was X secretly never good?" the new template all these fags are using now?
I swear we get a new one of these things every week.

I think my face is permanently stuck on cringe after that video.

I fucking hate both Polygon and Valve but that doesn't mean that I can't agree with their article. Even a blind chicken picks a corn once in a while.

Who the fuck cares about templates? All you're doing is cutting yourself off at the knees for ways to kick off discussion and conversation with the development of raging autism against certain combinations of words and phrases for the means of starting a thread. When "What did he mean by this?" can potentially get just as many or more replies- maybe even the same replies- as a well-thought out or elaborate OP, what reason is there to go the long route?

God, imagine sponsors and advertisers get a hold of it, now there's fucking ads when you log in, when you start up a game, interrupting your game, IN THE GAME. I know "shit could be worse" is never a good excuse to accept shittiness, but… shit could be worse
Somehow I think it'll end up that way anyway since it seems like everything else already has.

I'm talking about the article, game journos keep putting out articles that follow the format of "Was this thing that people have liked forever actually always bad?", probably to try and distract people from how modern shit is almost universally less enjoyable than shit we got ages ago.

I'm retarded then and completely misunderstood what you were trying to say. Initiate bullying.

template threads are shill threads, pure and simple they save their ops and imagines for easy posting across lots of sites, anyone who tells you otherwise is either naive as fuck or a shill them selves, we learned all this with GG and now that GG is a ghost to these "journals" they're happy to go back to what they were doing by spamming every site with their click bait and before you say anything about "lel it's just a picture how could that give clicks?", remember "trust but verify"? by giving a sample of the full it incites people to indeed check out the article to see if it is correct and guess what that does?

Wow. Valve is shit, and Polygon can't even get an article on them right.
They drop accusations that I can't find any evidence for like "tax-dodging" (the only evidence I can find is some forums where people notice that some valve credit card charges go to Luxembourg). They bring up the no refunds and the DRM shit, but on the other side simply attack Valve for operating as a for-profit business, like they expected a non-profit video game retailer.
The most bizarre thing is that they call people buying games at the Steam Sale "free labor" because you are "marketing" for Valve. I don't get that at all. By that logic, you literally can't shop anywhere without "marketing" for the company and giving them "free labor". They've almost got a point with the Steam Workshop shit, but it's not like anybody making things for the Steam Workshop doesn't know what their cut is.
Then they go on and refer to the DOTA 2 prize money as having been "donated" by players by purchasing the game, showing a complete lack of understanding about what a donation is, how marketing works, or what ownership and property means.
Finishing with more baseless accusations like "A company which will spend what has to be millions on legal fees to avoid having to pay you $15 in refunds," so that everybody who reads it will see "Valve spent millions on legal fees to avoid refunds" rather than "Valve avoided refunds. I'm assuming they must have fought legal battles for it that probably cost millions of dollars. I don't know," which is the actual effect.

Valve is shit and all, but I'm actually surprised at how shitty and lazy this journalism is. You don't just drop terms like "tax-dodging" like it's a simple adjective, that shit is an accusation and you need evidence to back that up. Steam is a store, and if anybody thought it was anything else, they're idiots. It's a shit store with shit terms, but the article reads like what they were expecting is that Valve wouldn't maximize profits or operate like a business. The blame for everything Valve is lies solely on the customers who didn't walk away when Valve pulled stupid shit. A business grows in the direction the consumers push it.

What a fucking shit article. I can't believe I read that fucking waste of time.

The worst combination.

Bill, linux dominates everything except the desktop. We know you're scared of any single bit of userbase it gets.

Contact them, and tell them you are willing to add to it. Seriously. I'm not joking.

What reality am I in now?

The end times are coming

Remember the old days?
Fuck Gaben and Valve. Everything that's happened in the last few years makes me sick. Steam is cancer

Phase 1: Indoctrinate your retarded readers against the patriarchy
Phase 2 : Rail your retarded readers against the capitalist leaders
Phase 3 : Seize the means of production, dictatorship of the proletariat

Just the commies being commies

It sounds like Polygon is a Console Peasant when I first read the archive article of "Steam Ain't Your Friend." (Dumb because I'm kinda a Console Peasant).

Guess Microsoft is more salty about Denuvo than me.

I don't like polygon but they are right about this. Valve is money grubbing as fuck. We forget paid mods like it was just a misstep. My faith in the company died the day they announced paid mods. If I remember the split of the sales, it was 40, 40, 20. 40 to Valve, 40 to Beth, 20 to the modder.

A lot of steam shilling going on in this thread. Can't call them out on their bullshit without being told you are crazy.

Still, I decided to read it. The article was getting interesting and those retards were saying some truths…

….until they cried about evil valve being mean to some fucking trans faggot.

I don't know what did I expect

Nigger who the fuck elected you godking
Get the fuck out.

Fuck you libertarian assholes. You're partly to blame for communism's popularity.

No one is shilling Valve here, they're shitting on Polygon because both are shit.

I'm so sick of this virtue signalling SJW faggotry.

I want this "THOSE POOR TRANNIES" meme to die

Hi I regret to inform you that what you are referring to as it exists is not a capitalist system it is in fact a corporatist system.
And this isn't the retarded muh not real gummunism bullshit and anyone with a basic understanding of economics could explain to you why it isn't capitalism when companies leverage the government as a market force.

Are you triggered? Why are you triggered? Stop acting like an sjw.

See , ,

If it was solely about Polygon, this thread would only talking about their hypocrisy like , not about this or that economic system.

Remember, Valve is privately owned, and is not subjected to the same laws as publicly traded corporation. And there are not as many impactful regulations for internet (yet) transactions and markets as other industry. You can't pull that bullshit with me.

I already explained to you why it isn't a no true scotsman fallcy, and I hate to be the one to piss in your cornflakes, but yes Valve foes leverage political influence to prevent pwople from competing in software distrobution

None of the posts you linked say anything good about Valve. The first one says "capitalist leaders" and Valve is certainly making a lot of money, but that isn't praise, just a fact. Second one says no one forgot fucking paid mods and he's right. Last one is just pol/leftypol/some fucker pretending to be either one shitposting.

No one is defending Valve here.

Haven't they got something to be offended about this week?

Polygon was also directly funded by Microsoft.

There's a reason that shit is blacklisted.

When do you guys think Gabe Newell stopped giving a shit?

There was a point in time where he still cared, but that's all a long fucking time ago now. What do you think made him stop caring?

when he learned to count to two

When Valve hired an economist to figure out how to better manage the Steam store.

>that Windows XP marketshare

Did this actually happen? Because if so they should be fired for shit like the lackluster Steam Console shit and all Greenlight shit

Pure conjecture. The Windows 10 lite bullshit is just Microsofts way of trying to compete with Chromebooks. The PE .exe format is never going away. Since UEFI relies on it Microsoft needs that advantage of having lower-level firmware interfaces that Linux lacks.

Technically Linux is just a kernel. A more fair comparison would be the GNU OS vs Windows, and we all know how far the GNU OS goes. If we're talking kernel market share specifically then TRON and its derivatives like Industrial TRON would most likely dwarf Linux. And Google wants to adopt a new kernel to Android so soon Linux wont even have that going for it

Okay.

Are you sure?

All I can think when I read shit like this is "pride goeth before a fall." Microsoft's strategy is clear and all they have to do is be a little too greedy, and gamers will start dumping Windows en masse.

Talk to a normalfag about computers some time. Even they hate Windows 8 and 10.

No its not. Stop making assertions you shitposting fanboy.
Yes I am. TRON powers billions of embedded devices. Your fucking TV remote most likely runs on it

In 2012.
archive.is/1Wr9l

Stopped clock, and their reasons for doing so are primarily to make their parent company look better.

Normalfags seem to hate all the shit they use. Phones, computers, services. They're never willing to do anything about it though.

Why does something like this even need to be said? If you have a dollar in your pocket, nobody who wants that dollar is going to be your friend. They'll only bullshit you long enough to get that dollar, then you can go get fucked.

This thread needs more good doggos

I offer you, the redemption story of an sad doggos.

stop talking like a normalfag

All doggo need luv, y u no luv doggo?

I luv doggo! I luv doggy doggo!!! I rly rly doo!!!

cutesy speak has been around the "I can haz cheeseburger" days, you fuckhead.

"doggo" specifically is a modern normalfag meme.

Win XP market share probably comes from oldfags who got too used to it from office work.

borf

I get the feeling they are only attacking valve for not capitulating to their SJW agenda enough for their taste. The EA money probably doesn't hurt either.

Well, color me surprised! Polygon wrote an article that isn't factually incorrect for once. However, they're just saying that the grass is green like it's something new. Still irrelevant.

News flash, humanity is utter fucking trash too.

Wtf did they do to that dog to make it like that

I wish someone would love me like people love dogs.

Why not get a pet dog yourself? They love you unconditionally as long as you love them back

literally un-achievable because dogs are too simple, they're too stupid to be cheats or liars, i mean that in the nicest way i can too.

My living arrangements don't allow me keep a large pet or take care of it adequately.

Is it bad that this article got me to install Origin?

Enjoy all 12 games.

I have origin but only for command and conquer games.

wtf?

The EA shilling running through this piece is fucking disgusting.
NO
FUCK YOU
DEATH TO ALL OF THESE FUCKING WORTHLESS PROGRAMS
Just sell me the game and then let me run it on my own terms. Don't make me run your DRM/social network/spyware in the background constantly.

"Humanity" is a non-human entity. Some humans are good, some are bad, "Humanity" is a demon that wants your soul.

this was from 2015, a year after WinXP lost support and only a few months after windows 10 had released.
the current market share looks like this.

The text was in French so I'd be willing to bet that sandniggers happened to it.

Let's go forward to a point where games come on physical media and you're not only allowed but encouraged to back them up and make copies for personal use.

thats right! Fuck convenience because muh vinyl needs to come back

Yes please. At least then I own my things. Valve can take your games at any moment they want to. Or the servers can just go down and you're fucked for anything you don't have currently backed up (and even then it's a bit of a pain). Nintendo can bitch as hard as they want but they can never take my NES games away.

You can never "own" digital only shit. Enjoy your long term rentals.

You can literally go into your steam folder and play games from its exe. you could probably even use a no-cd crack.

thats why you push the cost to the consumer. brush up on your skills.

This is the mindset of a consumer whore, who knows nothing but instant gratification.

No, it's the mindset of someone who's not a backwards retard who can see a good piece of technology.
Just like every piece of technology it can also turn into a weapon based on who's using it.

so progressive.

That's a good article, respect to Polygon for releasing that. I always thought the meme of calling Valve the good guy is stupid since they're as bad as everyone else, they were responsible for paid mods and they take a 25% cut from you, and they added refunds only in the 2010s because Australian regulation forced them to, and when they did, it's only for 24 hours and only applies when you have under 2 hours of playtime! EA and GOG have better policies than Valve and allow refunds a lot better and a lot fairer, I hope the stormwind takes Valve and kills the company.

you can keep the hard-drive, i'll just take the data on your hard-drive. that's a fair deal since you already agree'd to it.

Do you even know what type of personality you'd need to achieve that?
You'd have to be the kindest, most energetic, most submissive (personality-wise, not sexually) person imaginable to attain that.
Your life would effectively have to revolve around your person of affection.

If i cant use steam i'll use pacsteam

As it should be…

the way he speaks inspires real, genuine anger in my heart

Is that what they're doing on cuck/v/? Of which I assume this is a crosspost.

Alice: The Madness Returns is no longer available. I just checked my… friend's… install… and it's not listed in the Vault.

I was about get shitty about it too since I - I mean he - just bought it on 360 for like $4.00.

Haven't even touched The Madness Returns yet. I've just been playing through the original American McGee's Alice which came bundled.

Some dogs aren't good guys.

i bought it but didnt touch it since i never beat the first game, and i only got half-way through the first game.

the dog was only retaliating against that brutal foot kick by the man. shoveldog did nothing wrong.

I hate polygon through and through, but this is a fucking good article, so good in fact that I might even purpose that someone on Holla Forums infiltrated polygon and wrote it to red pill normalfags from a position of high readership/popularity, we have only been saying this shit for years, even before the paid mods shit. The paid mods shit only proved that valves intentions were exactly as we speculated.

Good article, not much to discuss on the topic. It might be interesting to see if Holla Forums is going to be contraction about this too just cause polygon said something that we said a very long time ago.

Do we actually give a shit?

Only because their monopoly is incomplete and still faces competition. As soon as that changes, Valve will go total asshole.

When will our favorite company finally drop Steam for publishing their games and start to work on their own DRM?