Why do modern games have no funny secret endings?

Remember the good ol' times when you'd shuffle through the pages of gaming 'zines and they'd tell you about extra endings to your favorite vidyas, so you go ahead and try them out only to find them insane or ridiculously funny instead?
At least I do. Post your favorite.

Also why do they tend to include aliens in the zaniest of them?

Game developers are one of two kinds of people: unfunny, smug pricks, or screaching memequeen faggots. Neither can into comedy.

Ghost Recon Wildlands had 2 endings. One where the lesbian commander gunned done the cartel head and one where she let him off.

God damn it. It must be that.
I wouldn't put past the developers of these old games, that they had some kind of injoke within the studios or their friends and just put it in at the last possible minute. Given today's standards, they'd just meme with each other instead.

Most devs can't even properly put humor into their games other than shitty memes. Plus, they want you to take their shitty stories 100% seriously at all times. Joke endings also take up time that could be used to make DLC.

Only if you're willing to part with 5-20 shekels, my good goy.

There has been a mindset in western development for a long time now where if the player isn't definitely going to see something, it isn't worth adding to the game.

did you not play nier automata?

I'll actually go to Call Of Duty Blops for that.
Shit ton of secrets that are almost absurdly retarded to find.

Game developers as so far up their own ass they can smell what they ate for breakfast,lunch, and dinner at all times of the day.

Just go watch the Mister Metokur interview with the Dino Dini. This fucking guy thinks that game developers are some kind of special snowflake who are above any and all criticism because they have the "artistic forsight" to create something aka video games.

Its insanity.
Games are made now to appeal to something, cash in on something, to "say something", these clowns forget that games are supposed to be fun.

because it will be spoiled before release by data mining faggots

with a name like "Dino Dini" I can't imagine anyone would expect anything less than peak faggotry.

Why would they bother? It isn't going to get them more money.

it was never all that common in the first place.

A lot of secrets or easter eggs in games were just devs fucking with each other or some other inside joke. The grilled cheese jokes in the Sims were entirely based on the company picnic and policy of serving people grilled cheese sandwiches even as a parting gift.

Modern game developers don't even assume you'll finish the game.

Op. Do not do this.
Do not remind me of how shit modern gaming is these days.

This. That game was honestly one of the best of the CoD games for thar reason alone.

And this right here is the creamy jizz icing on the shitcupcake.
They give you absolutely zero advantages to gameplay and disable saving, so you can't even fuck around as you please.

This, same reason why Secrets in general aren't common anymore, with internet gaming communities being more popular than ever why even add some nice secrets? Shit, why even make a videogame with an ending? That's why multiplayer competitive games took over some years ago.

I always find out great things on my birthdays

On the topic at hand, the only somewhat recent game I can think of would be Far Cry 4. I found that one pretty funny.

Amazing.

That "alternate" ending was the proper ending. The guy was being a gracious host, there was no reason to not cooperate with him. How he runs his country isn't any of my business.

Because pretentious shitheads or more often retards wanting shit to be taken seriously at all times.

We have to make our own fucking games.

I generally agree, however consider that he just killed one of his soldiers in front of your eyes, for what is essentially trying to prevent armed terrorists from entering his war-torn country. Also, I somehow doubt Pagans order actually included a single word beyond "Stop the bus". If I was a soldier in Kyrat and my commanding officer tells me that Pagan Min himself wants a certain bus stopped and then a guy jumps out of the bus waving bakshish in my face and getting impatient when I tell him to stand down, I'd rather be thinking "The Golden Path is trying to bring foreing mercs into the country", than "This bus must be carrying someone who is dear to my leader." Also, do you really consider surrounding someone with armed men and putting a black hood on their head the hallmarks of a gracious host?

reminds me of this

GTA5 is fucking dogshit, its beyond frustrating how much unwarranted praise it got despite doing pretty much nothing and giving you nothing to do

I can't think of any time where funny secret endings were commonplace. If you want to talk about something that disappeared, fuckin' cheat codes and server browsers, man.

Didn't you get the memo? video games is serious art.

Indeed. It's literally one of those games where the good ending can be achieved literally a short time in.

NieR: Automata. You’re retarded.

Why do modern games have no fun cheat codes?

lol, okay

kek

That guy needs to get with the times. Some companies are so lazy/cheap they won't even print a safety pamphlet, let alone a manual, for what physical releases they do, and instead put the safety information on the inside of the cover art instead.

Don't forget certain people in the media calling it "unacceptable" that a modern 2D game (like Dragon's Crown) should be worth as much at release as a modern 3D game.

Also the "even though you bought this game physically, you need to waste 10+ GB of space on your system because recent games no longer run well straight from the disc" forced install to even play.

Yeah, the "joke" ending makes a lot more sense here

Jesus Christ.

The disc should just have the game's title and the safety information on the front face

That would cost money, user.

Reminder that Shakespearean comedies weren't "funny" either

I haven't bought a game in the past two years, at least none that had DLC that wasn't free or irrelevant, so I understand your frustration.
Though I'm much more forgiving to streamers. They're not the true problem as much as Streambait developers are. I wouldn't mind people watching some random dude play a game they wouldn't necessarily get, but I absolutely hate games that are made just to get a cheap reaction out of people.

I guess it counts as alternate because the average nu-age player is ingrained with leftist and anti "establishment" prejudice so they'd just disobey an order in favor of whatever they think "the resistance" is. They can't stay a moment put without interacting with something.

We never will because we'll either make extremely niche and unoptimized shit or we'll grow into major namefags and ruin it for everyone. Katawa Shoujo is the only project I've seen completed from beginning to end without major drama and even then all the people who helped making it went on to become the Queens of the Nu-males. And it was just a fucking visual novel.

FUCK, I hate that too, I used to collect the damn things and they all had fun details and useful info you couldn't find outside of them. The ones with Wario in it were particularly amusing.

I'm not claiming they were commonplace, just that they existed and were kind of a big deal. You could brag to your friends that you know the true ending of the game and fuck them over with a cheap joke like that.

Someone didn't read them aloud

Twelfth Night is fucking hilarious. Especially when the producing company goes balls to the wall with Malvolio's outfit.

Sir Toby Belch is my waifu

Which one was funnier?

You reminded me of Ratchet and Clank. In the developer commentary they spoke about how they hid pictures of this guy's face on textures throughout the first three games or so. On tree stumps, energy barriers, just generally on things you wouldn't pay too much attention to. The guy was called Dan, and there was even a skill point (achievement) that involved you finding and destroying a snowman with the guy's face on it that was tucked into a cubbyhole in one of the snow levels

Because the games that are put out these days are one giant joke.

Too confusing for new players.

Because nobody makes video games like they used to anymore. Nowadays people make "serious award winning stories" and can't take the piss out of their own work because of it. There's also the problem of everyone entering the video game industry to make money, which means there's not enough passion or effort there to even make a joke ending unless you can charge people for it. The aim is to shit out a Stephen King or James Patterson novel, slap some gameplay on it out of obligation and make millions from it.

Pretty sure Insomniac did similar with the PS1 Spyro games prior.

some do (like Nier), but most gamers only play the game couple of hours, so devs don't care about endings or secrets etc.

Not worth using em, since games love to call you a faggot for using them!

No matter how many jumpscares there are in a game nothing modern scared me more than watching predators move in Rainworld.

Dan Johnson was a character designer for Insomniac who died in 2006. He appears in every Spyro and Ratchet & Clank game since Spyro 2. In some, it's very subtle, like low-res versions of his face barely being visible on some coins in one level of Spyro 2, but in many Ratchet games, he is a playable skin. The most notable is probably in Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus, where he isn't very well hidden, it's only barely off the main path, but there is an entire room dedicated to him at the very end of the museum at the end of the game (which is the last game in the series before it rebooted). Basically, the last thing you see in the original Ratchet & Clank series (barring the boss fight) is a huge statue with narration talking about how great a guy their dead friend was.

how were insomniac so cool back then? Don't get me wrong I haven't played they're more recent games so I can't judge them now, but ratchet and clank, spyro, they really went all out with some really good shit.

The new Ratchet & Clanks are still good, but they make less of them because their focus is split with other shit that nobody wants. The latest Ratchet & Clank was a bit meh, basically the first game but with some good levels swapped out for lamer ones, but it's still pretty good. Into the Nexus, the one right before it, was a budget title that was supposed to be short, but I had a lot more fun with it than most other games in the last decade.

Insomniac is still good when they make Ratchet. They just need to learn to fuck off with other shit and just make more Ratchet.

What are their other games anyways, Resistance?

Three Resistance games (first is okay, I thought the second was shit, I hear the third is good but didn't play it since the second was shit).

One or two completely forgettable multiplat shooters for EA or some shit.

Sunset Overdrive

Some Gamestop exclusive budget thing called Into the Deep.

Fuck alternative endings they are passé. It's 2015 bro pay 5 bucks for alternate colored skins that don't appear in cutscenes.

I know you're joking, but your comment got me very angry.

If they can't make money off of it, no boss are going to let them to waste time and money on it.

it will get them coverage when people discover it in one way or another. people love sharing stuff like that. it did for farcry 4 and people still talk about it from time to time.

That's the thing though, the gaming industry isn't as profitable compared to the amount of money they are using, so they are cutting corners where it's the least profitable, which is the extra, useless (but fun) content.

Let's face it, the kikes took over the industry and what you're seeing is the same as with the movie-industry and the music-industry.

The manual that came with the Jap Vita version of Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus blew my mind. It's almost collector's edition artbook tier by modern standards (I'm exaggerating a little bit, but less than you'd think, there are some shitty artbooks out here and some effort clearly went in to making this manual look good). Most western releases of console games don't even have manuals anymore. It's a disgrace how bad things have gotten and there's no reason things have to be this way.

but in the end people buying the game and your future products is whats profitable. and what better ways are there to do that than convince people your game is full of cool stuff?
it comes down to what do they think is going to get people to like them?
usually its something cinematic and upfront like graphics.
but in the end it comes down to the opinions of whoever is calling the shots i guess. look at undertale for example.

thats ancient tradition by now

DLC for cheating?….actually not mad.

Nier Automata definitely does.

Who the fuck cares about achievements? And not having a save feature is a fair trade off for essentially breaking the game.

Song of the Deep. Shitty physics metroidvania Aquaria wannabe about a girl in a submarine. Nice digits.

Look, I loved Automata too, but the "joke endings" in that game consisted of a black screen with one to two text boxes explaining what happened. That's scarcely comparable to the level of effort that went into the Silent Hill games, where they added new art assets, new voice clips, and even a new song for the end credits made up entirely of dog barks.

He's right, though.

I'd like to know though, how come a lot of western PS2 games had a big head mode?

If I had to guess, I'd assume it's easy to code and good for a quick laugh.

Because it is extra money. Games nowadays are not hand made but mass produced. Cannot waste any material.

And little money is left from a game is wasted on DLC.

You can land headshot more easily if head is 5 times the size and it is silly as fuck.

Jesus fucking christ, why did you do this to me? I've experienced second-hand frustration this severe fewer than five times in my life.

this is the real 'value' achievements add to the game. it let the developers openly datamine to determine what parts of a game got seen. as years went by, they just stopped making the parts that weren't going to be noticed by the masses.

Name a modern game that has a good ending at all.

Games aren't allowed to be silly anymore. Only "serious games for serious gamers" sell, don't you know? You wouldn't want to do something unique and fun, and accidentally alienate half your playerbase in the process, would you? If you feel you absolutely have to make a joke, or provide a silly scenario, then make you sure run it through several focus groups before hand, until it's as milquetoast and bland as possible so as to appeal to the absolute widest demographic without challenging them in the slightest. And at no point should it ever break "muh immersheen" and disturb the cinematic experience.

That's the other half of the reason.

I thought that was satire at first.

Remember when we had hope in indie games because they weren't beholden to major publishers so they could be experimental and try new things and expand the kinds of experiences a video game could give us, and all that optimistic jazz?

And then we got walking simulators and political propaganda.

i see that thrown around a lot and i think its juvenile. you have to remember "indie games" isnt some single entity. its just a concept or definition, and games are getting easier and easier to make

And that is exactly why so much trash has been made. And then they figured out how to cheat their customers with DLC and early-access.

those sorts of thing have been around for as long as i can remember. it just took a little while to catch up to digital distribution.

Sorry to say faggot, but the word you're looking for is husbando.

Phantom 2040 had around 16 different endings depending on the rare choices you could make in every chapter, yet it was barely known as a game thanks to it being released in 1995. Shame, for it was actually interesting.

that would be gay

I never had any hope for indie games. Been around too long, and see too much shit to have hope. Every time the barriers to entry are broken down, when accountability and oversight are thrown to the wind, all you end up with is a flood of shovelware garbage.

It happened with early console games
It happened with early PC games
It happened with early Flash games
It happened with the Wii when Nintendo dropped their standards
It happened with Mobile which never had any standards
It's happening with VR

Why would anybody expect things to be different now?

Sure, there might be a few diamonds in the rough made by rare talented individual with an actual vision - but I see no reason why I should slog through miles of raw rancid sewage just to find them - when I can just sit back and wait for others to find them for me. And of those that are actually deemed worthy, only fraction of those even interest me.

Only, it's even worse these days than ever before, because of the walking sims and propaganda you mentioned.

Indie games were a mistake.

GoldenEye and Perfect Dark prove otherwise. Nothing was recorded as permanent if you cheated, and you couldn't unlock anything.

remember when entitled gamer was a thing? thats you