This franchise is the basic bitch of the entire Beat Em Up genre

This franchise is the basic bitch of the entire Beat Em Up genre

Why the hell is it so fondly spoken of?

What the fuck is a "Basic Bitch"?

The protagonist, for one. The games kind of blend together for me, but I believe the original is the one where he kicks a sailor into the hydra's mouth, and burns a soldier alive to gain entrance to a temple? Not to mention the sex minigames. It was pretty uncommon to have video game protagonists do that kind of shit.

But probably most importantly is that, as you said, it's the "basic bitch." The combat is extremely easy to pick up compared to most beat 'em ups or action games. "Easy to pick up" generally means "more appealing to a wide audience." That's part of why QTE's picked up a lot of reach in that era, and beyond relatively simplistic combat what is God of War absolutely full of? QTE's. They let the player do something "cool" or "powerful" with minimal effort.

Mix up a controversial protagonist with simple gameplay and an easy method of making the player feel powerful, and what do you get? A game that appeals to the people who aren't able to reach the required skill floor to get good at action games with more complex gameplay that require more personal effort to feel powerful. The former is a much larger population to the latter.

I just enjoyed the over the top violence and the ancient Greek mythology setting.

Some dindunese word, you can just tell without even having to look it up

I kinda want to play it now.

Muh console exclusives.

ftfy

even in its earliest days david jaffe was saying it was never meant to be a deep game like devil may cry was at the time.

console warriors like these need to be banned, mark

Ahh, fine, i'll ease off.

Let's be honest if it wasn't a Sony exclusive, people wouldn't care. People don't play these kind of games in Nintendo consoles and the Xbox audience doesn't care about anything new or different.

It is a game for people who want to think that they are hardcore for playing a shallow hack-and-slash that occasionally turns into Simon.

jigspeak

Yeah, it was basically this.

There's not much too it besides some basic puzzle platforming too, and from locations before you get to slaughter your next deity with a quick-time event after some boss pummeling. At least, in-so-far from my experiences of the first PS2 GoW games I used to have.

It's fun. It was the most enjoyable mythology based game I've played since Age of Mythology.

It's a niggers way of saying something is vanilla. As if vanilla is actually a bad thing.

It was a a fun game series to play as an edgy teen. Had violence, tits, okay gameplay and greek mythology is always interesting.
100% them back in the day and I've probably never raged as much I've ever done at a game for being cheap as these two segments on their games hardest difficulty.

user's Rule #23

Babby's First "x" = The pinnacle of the genre

Look at Halo

because its edgy as fuck, and dare i say it plays on the male power fantasy while taking itself very seriously. cant have any of that joking around? one liners? thats so 90s get it outta here!
well, on top of that its a solid enough game.

Isn't the newest God of War going full retard with zero gameplay and all muh chillun feelings? I remember that last year at E3.

Stop arguing with yourself. The majority of firsts in their own series are usually better than the sequels.

Halo brought a lot of people into the modern FPS genre and it was also one of the first games to ever have a multi-million dollar budget.

A more accurate translation would be low effort, typical, and sometimes bland.

The combat's both really cathartic and accessible, plus everyone loves Greek mythology. I imagine many people are also fond of the series because it popularised its genre and got them into that type of game for the first time.
On another note, I think 3's combat is considerably better than it's given credit for and that Ascension's multiplayer was very fun, despite swords and Poseidon-affiliated characters being really OP as hell.

This, those two parts are absolutely insane on their respective higher difficulties.

it's going for a we want the slow melee combat like dark souls route without understanding what makes dark souls slower paced combat any good

Because you play as a mortal who kills fucking gods and even removes Sisters of fate. It's a literally High energy: The Game.

Because you play as a mortal who kills fucking gods and even removes Sisters of fate. It's a literally High energy: The Game.

This mostly.

But I'd like to add that the first and second games came out really rapidly, and at this point platinum didn't have anything like this out, I think maybe the first devil may cry might have been out. My point being that during this time frame cuh-razy didn't exist and most western games happened to be platformer or gritty 3rd person action shooters.

So god of war stood out. Wasn't awful and had a sequel relatively quick, that's how you get a fanbase going. To bad the newest one looks like babysitting the game. I really hate stories about"your child" I don't have one, I can't relate.

the set pieces were pretty grandiose for the time it's also not a Beat Em Up faggot

Next you'll tell me Modern Warfare 2 is a tactical shooter.

Greco-roman is the most normalfag pleb cultural setting possible, though, (though i'd argue it's aeshetically superior to norse, which is the second most normalfag pleb one), and it didn't even execute on it that well, compared to something like Apotheon

The first God of War is a decent game if you play it on the hardest difficulty so you actually need skill to beat enemies. It should have been the default.

Pretty much this and it was heavily shilled by Sony.

What the fuck are you talking about?
Are you telling me medieval and moderb settimg don't exist?
Theres barely any games with a Meditteranean setting as it is.
I do agree though, God of War shat all over the mythology and while I do agree that creative liberty was really necessary, they outright removed and shat all over good figures in it while giving some shit figures more time.

No, Final Fight and God Hand are beat em ups, this is an action platformer like the 3D Prince of Persia games and the Shinobi reboot. Furthermore both GoW 1 and 2 are pretty solid games with a great amount of polish and everything works just fine. I would even argue that OP has never played God of War, this is just another thread where faggots shit on something for being popular, isn't it? Bayonetta has about th3 same level of depth but everyone here drools over it because muh platinum and muh dick.

Because the series is a lot of fun. It's had it's stumbles and regressed on certain things as the series went on but overall they're great games.

Personal things I like are.

The combat is fluid and responsive making it satisfying to use.

World design is a joy to soak in, even enemies and bosses are pleasing engagements.

The powers and abilities you obtain throughout the game are a lot of fun and interesting design wise.

The stuff they regressed on was making things that worked perfectly fine before more invasive and dumbed down.

QTE improved in GOW3 by having the button icons at the edge of the screen instead of the centre, however from this point they were making more of them longer than they needed to be with sloopy execution and each QTE went into bullet time. This ruined the payoff when finishing off a bosses.

Thera's Bane is a great mechanic for additional damage and exploding armour however some enemies can only be attacked when you're using Threa's Bane making a lot of the combat a waiting game. This doesn't fuse well with the flow of GOW combat which is supposed to be dodge attack dodge attack. Now you end up running around in circles avoiding attacks until that meter recharges.

GOW Ascension has the best combat for the blades (aim at enemies in the air) and introduces 8 directional rolling at last, however the rage meter nerfs your combos if it's not full which fucks with the flow of combat in every way.

GOW Ascension also introduced excessive camera pan shots than not only took control away from you every few minutes, put the pan outs made you so small that you couldn't see the what you and the enemies were doing properly.

I like what I like and know. All the giant blocks of text and descriptions in AoM made me fairly knowledgeable about it and I liked recognizing it in GoW.

Stop using niggerspeak, you worthless faggot.

it was challenging enough to be fun without getting too far up its own ass with obscure meta strategies and frustrating bullshit
it also had some pretty cool levels and setpieces
It's not the best beat em up series ever made but I thought it was pretty enjoyable overall

what in the actual fuck?
guess that would fit the current trend of everybody doing copypaste sequels and inferior reboots because they've forgotten what good game design was

I am not trying to defend nu-GoW, but saying that you can't relate to a character who has children, just because you don't, is some SJW mental gymnastics. Hell in the first GoW we see Kratos murder his wife and son, I guess you can relate to that, since that is something you did, it's ok user you don't need to lie on the internet.

I've seen it used in more derogatory way than that, doesn't it mean flat out retarded in some cases?

This.
I actually have S ranked all of DMC 4, as well as MGR (and am working on Bayonetta Pure Platinum now) on hardest difficulties.
My entry to the entire brawler genre was God of War and Arkham, they're nice entry points, like Dishonored is to stealth. The issue isn't the entry point status, it's that entry point babies first shit is all we really got for almost a decade, and it still kind of lingers that we have to hold the player's hand.
Makes shit like God Hand practically unheard of, if I'm being direct.