Games that have yet to be topped in technical aspects thread

Games that have yet to be topped in technical aspects thread.

LA Noire, still the best faces in the business.

SotC, better horse animations than any modern game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/qywImb3SB10
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I liked gravity rush 2's water effects

They were alright, but I could see they were just sort of video files plastered over a face, even at max settings. The game is a piece of shit, though. I've never played a more handholdey detective game, in fact those two terms should never ever go together.

The problem with LA Noire is that they had the equivalent of the Sun in front of the faces of the actors so 90% of the time they squint their eyes.

ME:Andromeda, they've successfully managed to mocap autism.

The LA Noire tech for facial animation is shit and looks ugly as sin, the faces are fucking painted on frame by frame, MGSV, The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, these games all have better more believable facial animation and they aren't painted on.

No games have bothered with horse animation, so no-one cares.

This thread sucks.

nothing special.

Truly that title has been taken by the majesty that is Skyrims horse dynamics

I still have never seen horse animations that good since.

pretty sure the snowblind engine games have the best water physics, and they are all 10+ years old

sure, show me. cryostasis is probably better but nvidia physx is a mess and the engine isn't exactly feature dense.

They are just higher fidelity, but they look less convincing. Everyone is a plastic doll in those games, nobody is gonna be able to animate the thousands of subtle changes in a face.

LA noires tech might be simple, but it worked. You film someones face from every angle possible and then paste it on a low poly model.

not the same user but here

They didn't animate all the facial animations by hand in Uncharted 4, they used facial and body capture similar to what was used in Avatar.

oh, that's a very different effect done with a simple 2D bump map. The one in gravity rush 2 is a lot more intricate.

RDR

Uncharted 1 and 2 felt like games past that pretty much movies.

MGR:R for the dynamic slicing mechanic.

And Binary Domain still has, in my opinion, the best robit dismemberment, and the fact that the robots adapt to losing limbs is a plus.

Can't forget Far Cry 2's fire mechanics.

uncharted 4 may be a pretty mediocre game but it really does have some of the most impressive tech, deformation, animation, and just physics effects in general.

Planescape Torment's pre-rendered areas still look fucking good.

there's a reason why it hasn't been used again.

because it cost them a fucking ton of money and it didn't really pay off in the game itself.

Resistance 1 has the best glass/window breaking tech that I can think of. Embed related.

Yeah, the way it moves away from you when you use gravity powers is cool.

It looked really nice, but a shame that it was glued to such a shitty game.

if you get the mod that makes the buttons Coax, Force and Lie (like originally intended), it pays off. I don't really see what was handholdey about LA Noire at all. In fact, one of the main issues of the game is that despite having a piece of evidence that you could clearly use to prove someone wrong, it's not valid, no, you should have used this other piece, dumbass. Have you seen the requirement to get the "Huckster" achievement? "lol your face is on everything, all of your advertisements, that means you MUST KNOW EVERYTHING!" when there's another piece of evidence you have that straight out says he's aware of the program, but it's the WRONG piece.

No it didn't it looks far more uncanny, while those other games I mentioned sit on the other side of the uncanny valley.

They are captured to pre drawm face motions, they are normally tidied up as well, at least I recall listening to the lead animator for The Last of Us talking about this. Even though I don't actually care about Naughty Dog, and they've never released any game aove mediocre, they actually put in a lot of effort for the facial animations, the face rigs are of a far higher quality than most other studios, the cornea actually pushes the overlaying eyelid out slightly, which is just an example of the level of detail they aim for.

The worst part is that the tech behind it isn't anything specialized like LA Noire's. other companies just don't put in the effort.

FEAR 1 had great lighting efects. Someone post that comparison webm, I still rarely see something as small but great as a hanging lamp able to project light and be swung around.

Well done Todd…

Nah

Breath of the Wild has the best grass I've seen yet. Too bad the rest of the game is unforgettable generic trash.

The Batman Arkham games also had this if you enabled PhysX

THIS TURNS ME ON

sauce?

I don't have the actual picture saved

Max Payne 3's gunplay

youtu.be/qywImb3SB10

that's not what gunplay means user

also pretty sure you uploaded the videos yourself

MP3 felt sluggish as fuck and the enemies were too bullet spongy for the kind of physics and animations it had, making it unsatisfying. Also R* really loves to fuck with the pointer making it slow down near enemies and shit, that was terrible to control.

that's common in console shooters

Max Payne 3's visceral feedback?

I didn't but I can't prove it to you so I guess it's a case of Schrödingers user.

Halo still feels better to control than MP3 because it snaps the pointer secretly, it doesn't visibly move the spot you're aiming at.

it just seems strange to me that you posted a video from a channel that averages 100 views per video since youtube search prioritizes the most popular content and also you didn't embed it, perhaps so there wouldn't be a thumbnail visible before you click the video

I guess you could consider it technologically impressive as well since apparently it's not that easy to do it

Did you play it on console or just with really bad console settings enabled?

Have a better version, and a first-person comparison as well.

thanks

Fucking kill me.

Go outside and see a horse, jesus fuck. SotC had the shittiest horse animation ever.

Persona 5's soundtrack.

I liked Persona 4's better

Fuck this gay ass earth.

I don't think any game has topped the destruction aspect of red faction guerilla, though I haven't played Armageddon, so I imagine it's similar. The game as a whole is meh, but its worth playing to experience the awesome destruction.

It actually had good animations

My dick can't take this.

I haven't seen a game with as good rain effects as Driveclub.

In a sense Armageddon destruction is slightly better (not quite as "chunky" in how you destroy things) but since you're not dealing with large complex that are completely destructible it ends up being far worse, best you get a building or two and a bunch of setpieces, not as dramatic as the transition from RF1 to RF2 though.

See that mountain? Your horse can climb it!

I think Crysis 3 has the best facial expressions out there. Of course, there are only three fully modeled characters (Psycho, Claire, and Rasch - all of whom you see in this cutscene), while LA Noire had TONS more, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison.

Jesus christ, why is the animation so jerky?

You mean Silent Hill 3?

come the fuck on, nigger.

mah nigga

Plenty of games have as good or better facial animation then LA noire, user.

I don't think you've seen many 8th gen games, pretty much all of them do. Even fucking Halo 5 does.

It's not "common", it's universal. It's not a matter of casualization, either, analog sticks are just shit for fine, precise movents, it's litterally a nessecity for players to be able to hit shit at all.

It's the same for every player so there's still a level playing field. I've never understood why Holla Forums freaks out over aim assist, even with aim assist, it's outright harder to be on target using a analog stick then a mouse.

Dropping less important keyframes to save memory.

those games with more advanced facial animations are pretty much new games or console exclusive, so toaster/PC fags won't understand because their next best recollection of facial animation is stalker because it's literally all they have

Link mod?

Red Dead Redemption had the best horse animations out of any game so far.

Huh? Those are really mediocre or even bad water effects

The game does try to make it possible to use multiple pieces of evidence, atleast in the earlier cases there a few parts where it's possible.

Thats because the tech is patented and owned by the guy who owned Team Bondi and nobody wants to pay him the licensing fees to use such a limited tech(you can't have the actors move while mo capping their faces, essentially doubling the the work load for scenes where you have to do separate shoots for actions and faces) when the modern tech has caught up with it.

sauce bls

Every physic implemented in GTA 4.

The amount of clutters in Fallout 3/NV/4.

Crysis 3's graphics.

user…

Super Mario 64, still the best fish AI in the business.

This meme was made specifically to bait imageboard faggots.

The akiba's trip anime

oh.. not a hentai………………….

Neat.

I love rain.

Reminder Tribes will never be good again because Dynamix already made it perfect in 1/2.

is this mario galaxy but with a loli

Crysis 3 and it's Material based rendering or however they call it, levels with a lot of foliage are simply a treat to look at.

no, it's the the best 3d sandbox platformer in a decade

oh shit

This is the only reason why I want a PS4. The first one is the only reason why I got a PSTV, too. God fucking damn it, I want to play this game.

Welcome to stagnation.

Why does it have such a poorly conceived name?
I keep confusing it with first party western shovelware like Fuzion Frenzy.

FEAR had many small touches: for example, when an enemy dies after firing their gun, it would drop to the floor & the barrel would still be smoking.

Small technical touches are pretty much dead now in western game development as talent continues to be driven out by worthless marxist parasites.

Perfect Dark had unique game modes that I still haven't seen in any other game.

There's normal co-op, but then there's counter-ops.

1 player is the main character and plays through the game normally, the other player spawns as a regular enemy (and can die easily). Once he dies, he plays as another enemy, etc infinite until he manages to kill player 1 or player 1 finishes the mission.

Mafia 2 had a lot in common with GTA IV. It's an inferior game though.

This is a clearly deteriorating aspect of games and it's so far from discussion that it's not even named. It used to be a part of "grafix", I suppose, but that's not accurate and it allowed shitty devs to substitute bloom for it and call it good.

"Verisimilitude" or "simulation fidelity", perhaps.

Congrats, you just sold me on this game. I'm gonna go start it downloading now.

The rest of the video the guy is right, but cops aren't trained for war.

I just typed in Max Payne 3 gunplay and this was one of the first things that came up that weren't a trailer. Also I don't know how to embed things because I normally don't post YT links, I know I'm a disgrace

Stalker has those things though.

Honestly I've always just shot them in the head, takes two shots if they've got a helmet and 1 otherwise. I didn't find non-body armoured enemies too spongey otherwise though.
You can (and should) disable that in the options by the way.

You were playing as a painkiller addicted, drunk, old man and given the physics engine they were showing off kind of realistic movement as opposed to being a spartan god soldier who can leap 30 feet in the air.
Wtf are you talking about? On the hardest difficulty setting it's usually 1-2 shots in the chest to bring someone down unless they are wearing bullet proof armor, or perhaps you just know you are shitposting.
This doesn't happen I don't know what kind of shitty settings you are playing on

The only thing wrong with MP3 was it's shitty story and the shitty cutscenes they force you to watch. At least if you play on NYM hardcore you don't have to watch so many damn cutscenes you can just play the game. My only complaint about the game is that weapons just felt a little bit TOO accurate. You can make 60 yard pistol headshots during a shootdodge with ease. The guns were just a little TOO good. If I remember correctly without the effect of recoil there is no bullet spread when aiming which makes the game a little too easy especially if you are playing on keyboard and mouse. It's easy to just run into a room full of swat with a pistol and just go into bullet time and shoot everyone in the face before they even have the opportunity to realize what's going on.

I absolutely need to get this game sometime. It looks like a ton of fun.

Plus… 2b's outfit looks amazing on Kat.