RTS Thread

What are some RTS games that let me Respect the Robot anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

totalwar.com/blog/lizardmen-army-roster/
moddb.com/mods/xenoforce-reborn
tauniverse.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=170
tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43735
tauniverse.com/forum/showpost.php?p=718283&postcount=23
iron-harvest.com/
store.steampowered.com/app/305510/Servo/
hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=210.0
megamek.org/
conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/155746-From-Command-and-Conquer-3-Tiberium-Wars
moddb.com/mods/red-alert-3-paradox
paradox-modfanmadebackup.wikia.com/wiki/Paradox_Mod_Wiki
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5100685
gog.com/game/wargame_european_escalation
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Tiberian Sun.

Speaking of Tiberian Sun, is Twisted Insurrection Campaign fixed or are they still a series of "NO FUN ALLOWED" Commando missions that punish you heavily for not following a particular path and rely far too much on luck than skill?

Earth 2160 got way more shit than it deserved.

also, Battlezone.

If you can get it to run right, Metal Fatigue is essentially the Gundam RTS we never had.

Total Annihilation is all about massive numbers of robots duking it out.

You're all dead to me.

The Lizardmen roster for Total WaWa 2 was revealed.
totalwar.com/blog/lizardmen-army-roster/

Lord Mazdamundi
Mounts: Platform, Zlaaq (Ancient Stegadon)
Kroq-Gar
Mounts: Foot, Cold One, Horned One, Grymloq (Carnosaur)
Slann Mage Priest
Mounts: Platform Only
Saurus Old-Blood
Mounts: Foot, Cold One, Carnosaur
Saurus Scar-Veteran
Mounts: Foot, Cold One, Carnosaur
Skink Chief
Mounts: Foot, Terradon, Stegadon & Ancient Stegadon
Skink Priest
Mounts: Foot, Terradon, Stegadon & Ancient Stegadon

Skink Cohort (Shields)
Saurus Warriors
Saurus Warriors (Shields)
Saurus Spears
Saurus Spears (Shields)
Temple Guards
Skink Cohort (Javelins)
Skink Skirmishers (Blowpipes)
Chameleon Skinks
Kroxigors
Feral Cold Ones
Cold One Riders
Cold One Spear-Riders
Horned Ones
Terradon Riders
Terradon Riders (Fireleech Bolas)
Feral Bastiladon
Feral Stegadon
Feral Carnosaur
Bastiladon (Revivification Crystal)
Bastiladon (Solar Engine)
Stegadon (Giant Crossbow)
Ancient Stegadon (Giant Blowpipes)

Hey, if Mira Han calls, tell her I'm not here

this man knows the score

The real problem though is how do we make a Shrine to Metal Fatigue?

the ip is lost in time space so just straight up just making a fix so it works on new computers

although actually I'd like a spiritual successor fan project where it's just a straight up clone but with more life to it

Surprised nobody has done anything with Battletech other than MechCommander considering they could do something Empire at War Galactic Conquest Style.

But this is RTS thread, not an RTT one, almost tripsman.

there's that one turned based game coming up but other then that you're right

First off I will say is that I need to check these digits.
Next up I will say is that the next stage of RTS Evolution is combining it with 4x and making it on a grander scale with a Campaign map. But nobody seems to want to do this anymore for some reason other than Total War.
If you think about it, Rise of Nations had a Conquer the World Campaign, so did Dawn of War Dark Crusade along with Soulstorm. Rise of Legends, C&C 3 Kanes Wrath, Star Wars Empire at War also had this. All these games were widely received except maybe Soulstorm and Rise of Legends was ignored at time and offer a lot of replayability. What would probably be well received is a remade Imperium Galactica game. Not another simple C&C or Starcraft clone.

people don't want RTS to evolve, they want something which has depth while having solid gameplay that's got a proper balance of micro and macro with engaging sound effects and designs all round

cnc 3. rise of legends
RoL actually has 2 flavors of robot. super advanced hard light tech aztec gods brought to life and steampunk

the game can have all the bells and whistles it wants and still have those qualities

assuming a dev has the money for that

This should have been the direction dawn of war 3 took. Dawn of War 2 added campaign persistent squads, the logical step from that would be to turn the battles themselves persistent with effects on a global multiplayer campaign (perhaps instanced to make the impact of a single battle meaningful).

moddb.com/mods/xenoforce-reborn

People don't want RTS to evolve for the same reason people don't play chess variants.

They autistically memorize all the best build orders and strats for their favorite game then expect every new game to be a clone of it. Even taking a cursory glance at the FAF forums demonstrates this as "pros" bitch about balance changes and threaten to leave because they no longer "have a feel" for the game.

The true hallmark of a strategic mind is being able to adapt to changes and improvise plans in real time. What most RTS players at the professional level are is no more than robots who use rote memorization to dictate their actions. It is no different than people who are good at chess because they have memorized 1000+ openings without being able to think on their feet.

What problems do you have with it? If it's just a matter of it not working with newer OS's, you could run an older version of Windows using VMWare player and an iso from winworldpc.com

you're not wrong tbh

i wish the aeon assault walkers could reclaim on patrol, or that there was a way to designate an area for reclaimation.

Last time RTS evolved, the game flopped abysmally

that wasn't evolved what so ever, malestrom is more apt though

did it flop? well, i certainly had fun with it. bad performance issues though.

TOTAL ANNIHILATION BITCH
Get on torrents/any fave pirate site gog's commander pack edition + community patch 3.902 and resource pack from tauniverse tauniverse.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=170
Enjoy the unlimited amount of fun

is there a compilation of all the patch notes since 3.1 or am i going to have to not be a lazy bastard and read them one at a time?

user, stop. You're hurting my brain.
There is only a finite amount of content you can put into a game, often a very limited amount, before it becomes too dense and knowledge oriented to be rewarding to the player. Strategy games can only have so many openings, so yes its easy to memorize 4-5 and implement them. But these people still react to things taking place in the game in real time, even if they have a build memorized. They react to early pressure with defences/their own units, they react to certain attacks with their own tactics, they react to vulnerabilities in the enemies defences etc.
How would memorizing 1000+ openings for a chess variant be any better than memorizing 1000+ openings for chess? Is it because people haven't done it yet? Because if that's your argument its a dumb argument.

read OP here tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43735

youre a saint

Also in case of general fps lag/black screen issues on win 8/8.1/10 see this
tauniverse.com/forum/showpost.php?p=718283&postcount=23

Didn't it also come for GFWL? If so then they were asking for it

Iron Harvest doesn't have enough information out to know if it'll be good or not, and it looks like they're years away from a release date.
They've got an (anonymous?) survey up if you want to tell then what you're looking for in an RTS.
iron-harvest.com/

Not promising.

Huh, didn't notice that.
Oh well.

Metal Fatigue.
Mechcommander.
None of that cancerous gundam shit.

sound hardly ever works. it's pretty much random
otherwise the game is amazing and everyone should try it at least once
speaking of which, anyone tried this? store.steampowered.com/app/305510/Servo/

Yeah, I'm not getting that.

Gundam is a perfectly fun setting so long as you don't feature the Gundams or the whiny autist piloting them.

Mary Sues are shit.

Kinda like Z.O.E more.

I refuse to check those trips.

Don't tell japs that.

Depending on whether you want a straight port of the battletech boardgame or the more typical mechcommander game you could try Mechcommander Omnitech or MegaMek.
Both are free, but the latter is a highly accurate and autistic port of the boardgame that will require time to get into and understand the rules, the former requires nothing of the kind.
hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=210.0 for MCO
megamek.org/ for megamek.

nice pic and trips

muh nigga
It's basically old school Rainbow Six but with giant robots
shid DDD:

I always just play Tiberian Sun and Red Alert, with some occasional AoE II. Still sad that RTS died with Westwood.

please seriously fill this out and most importantly direct them to house a Q&A here

we're the only people with the correct opinions about RTS out there tbh

I looked at that and it seems to me to be something like an area loadout shit

Have you tried Mental Omega, Dawn of the Tiberium Age, Twisted Insurrection, or any of the RA3/C&C3/Generals mods?

If that weren't sadly true, I'd laugh at you.
Sage for doublepost

only us can save this genre

We're fucked

steady your self brother! if we are to be fucked then we will bring hell upon them but no it is the enemy who shall be fucked because we can set up numerous and simultaneous deep strikes, the codex astartes calls this maneuver
steal memes

Holla Forums more often than not is often absolutely correct about games. Mainly cause anons are far more likely to speak their minds and tell you the truth rather than suck your dick.

more then likely to do both actually

I remember that thread, that was a good thread.

I'm glad joolius is such a nice good who put up with my shitty request more often then not

Did they ever fix the AI in MC2? Does it still chase the first enemy unit it sees regardless of everything else?

Do you see where I'm going yet? Having a loose understanding of the game is fine but when you autistically obsess about every minuet detail to the point where your usual plans fall completely apart when those detail change does not equal skill. Rather you need a general understanding of the games meta coupled with a larger understanding of concepts like threats, maneuver warfare, how to use combined arms, how to gather and assess Intel and how to bluff/distract your opponent.

Most modern RTS matches devolve into gook click fests where the person with the most APM and biggest tank blob wins.

I know you're trying to hater on BW, but that image of yours is precisely why BW is the best RTS out there. The positioning and micro are by far the most important parts as opposed to RPS style gameplay of almost every other RTS out there.

Will skins like this save Sc2? Only 2,5$.

I doubt it.
What was the deal with Warshift anyway? I remember it being in the lower tiers of the things that should not be named but I never knew why.

basically korean unoptimized trash

I remember in grey goo pretending to have an army up front so the enemy blob chases me. Then flanking him with another army and picking off his reinforcements. Then when as he turns around to attack the army in his back the frontal one chases him and hits him as well.
It was great fun.

However the same strategy never worked in starcraft. The speed of the game there meant even artillery units were not easy prey and it was more likely that the blob would just rush in one direction and crush one of my smaller blobs really fast. The high speed ruins this.

I really want to stress this:
Artillery units should be slower than the regular army, should have strong attacks but be vulenrable and slow.
They shouldn't be able to run as ridiculously fast as those in SC2 do. I have had games where I kite with swarm hosts, running from one end of the map to the other. Ultralisks couldn't kill me. It was ridiculous. Grey goo had artillery done right even if it shat the bed on many other things. Starcraft and C&C had that better than SC2 too. Even if reavers could be transported fast, in general they were slow units.

It works you're just too slow… And I guess the opponents generally aren't retarded enough to chase you without a clear idea of how big and where your army is.

I've never seen it work in starcraft. *artillery* units there are simply as fast as the normal army.
And I've had retarded enough enemies.

Unrelated but I don't think that owl is actually sad, it's probably just planning to kill something it sees in the snow

Was Red Alert 3 as bad everyone made out?

Not quite, but almost. I liked Japan.

It was a very average game in a very strong series.

yes it is on the merely fact that it's more fun to watch then it is to play

Just because someone's willing to talk shit doesn't mean it's insightful shit. Most idiots have no problem babbling on about their idiocy as well.
And truth is only half the way, anyone can point out problems if they take a good look. Coming up with solutions is the hard part.

For instance, in one of these threads some user suggested that bad pathfinding was something better in BW over SC2 because it made micro more important and battles weren't so much about massive blobs hitting each other.
While he's technically speaking the truth, bad pathfinding and horribly excessive micro is hardly a good or confortable solution for the problem, it's just the best you have now.
It's like being in a warzone and wondering "what's the best way to stay alive" and someone suggests "don't get shot". It's true and it helps but not by much…

I can give you a solution, bad path finding and excessive micro usually comes down to one simple thing, the map if you design your maps in a larger manour as well as up the scale of unit count you'll find that death blobs stop being a certain thing and battle lines become more ideal, this means a more healthier amount of macro is required and baby sitting your units is only "to get them to their spots"

checkmate downer fag

Wow, these strawmans are getting out of hand. Do you just not play RTS or are you basing everything off of SC2?
You're right, most people don't like it when their preferred faction gets nerfed or when an opposing faction gets buffed. I know a lot of people also have the restraint to even point out where buffing their favourite faction would be too strong.
Half of the terms you threw out have specific words within the context of RTS games. Maneuver warfare? Mobility. Drops. Harass. Ever seen a Reaver used on the flank of an army? Combined arms? Army composition. Gather and assess intel? Scouting. And you can bet you can bluff/distract your opponent with the right tech structures. I'm not even just talking about Starcraft anyore. I'm now talking about AoE2 and SupCom: FA, the latter of which resembles more strict war lines being drawn and pushed with aerial forces coming in to support.
According to you, tactics that have been developed over literal years don't count because sometimes players don't like balance changes, and also because SC2 was a shitty game that revolved around blobbing (and even SC2 had the infamous 'rape' analogy for zerglings and banelings).
I didn't make this accusation in my first post because it was unfounded, but it sounds like you want one of those boring 'realistic' military simulators while simultaneously ignoring when these tactics are actually implemented and work in existing less-realistic RTS.

It's pretty fucking bad user. I can't remember my reasons, but last time I played through it I found it pretty much intolerable.

you wouldnt like dawn of war then

I haven't played MCO in ages, so I can't say.
I really should get back to my highest difficulty run using nothing by lightmechs. It was so much fun chew through companies of assault and heavy mechs with a giant swarms of ravens and razorbacks. Never made it past the final Liao mission with that swarm though. Too much AoE spam isn't good for the little buggers.

I can't actually figure out why it was bad other than people parroting "It was bad!" but not going into details. All I recall mainly about it having horrific balance issues and focused around cheese rushes. First Vindicators, then Tengus.

Why did they have to make the whole campaign co-op?

because that requires less effort in making maps and missions for three campaigns I'm guessing.

not at all, but it was micro heavy and a bit unbalanced. what rts doesnt have balance issues? what strategy game?

the reason it was disliked is because it was a large departure from red alert 2, but if you look at the progression of westwoods rts from ra2 until ra3, its hardly as jarring a jump.
even then, who the hell wants to keep playing the same game?

i mean buying. what is the point in having a sequel if it doesnt shake things up?
people whine about new super mario bros being rehashes. nobody is ever happy

it's bad on a design level and it's a step down in many ways form generals due to the lack of variation in regards to strategies you can achieve with effect, this is mainly down to how slime lined red alert 3 is and the fact that it's not aesthetically pleasing in the least in terms of looks and sounds really does not help it what so ever

Commendable effort, commissair. But it's still not quite there.

Increasing the size of the map increases the number of potential battle fronts, which may end up to an increase in required micro, especially if you also increase the unit count.
In fact, larger open areas are more apt for blobs too, where they can line up and attack all together at the same time.

There's also the fact that standard RTS controls don't scale very well with unit count. The more you have, the more APM you require to maintain optimal control, otherwise that box-selection is gonna drag some archers alongside with your infantry and control-groups have to be constantly remade.

Your idea can work, but it requires a re-work of the map to give secondary objectives the players can fight over and most split their army into, otherwise blobs still remain the optimal strategy. (and even then, you'll still be accused of being a MOBA if the path to those objectives is lane-like)

Secondly, you'd also require a different control scheme to handle an increased amount of units.
Rise of Legends and Earth 2160 have a neat trick there, RoL letting you put a rally point from your production buildings into a Hero so that if he's in a Control Group, the units are assigned to it automatically. Earth2160 allows you to specify what group a unit joins once it's produced, which is far better.
You'd also need a way to control a large amount of units with less input on your part, like having them assigned to a commander that carries them around and with a panel that displays the abilities of every unit following him as well as formations and tactics to be applied.
Something similar to Kohan, I suppose.

Problem is, not many RTS try any of these, and when they do they don't do them well enough, all of them or make some other mistake.

SupCom: FA?
4v4?

I wonder if voice commands could be possible to fix this issue

this I somewhat agree with

you mean like, yelling at your factories to produce tanks while youre microing a battle?
wasnt there a function in earth 2160 that could have the ai manage your base?

an ai managing your shit is not very effective but yes yelling at your factories to produce things or you and that such

There was a function in Submarine Titans where the AI could manage your base and set up patrols to guard the perimeter for you and it'd do it with somewhat competence

what would be the most effective option would allowing another person to handle it

Same Voice command akin to Tom Clancy's Endwar?

I've not played that

True enough although the sad part is there will never be a game with as good all round AI as Submarine Titans

the original starcraft had a shared control mode. multiple people could play the same "player" so to speak.

Nope, sorry. Still standard double-clicking to select all of the same type, which could result in selecting units you did not wanted to select, drag-boxes picking large amounts of units that might be unrelated, control groups almost useless, etc. If there's one thing it had going for it was that, due to most units being kinda expendable, it didn't matter as much to lose a few every now and then so some mistakes were allowed, but it's very far from being perfect.

I did enjoy the "ferry" feature transports had, wish more games used it but I recall some problem with engineers on patrol not doing a particular task when passing nearby it, dunno if it was building or repairing, but it was nice that they'd at least reclaim stuff.

Earth 2150 actually, if I believe right. You could have the AI manage factories and even research while you focused in combat, but since you couldn't parametrize it, it could end up doing things that don't really suit you.
A better system would be to "draw" the army you want and then the AI uses your factories to produce it. You say you want 50 infantry and 25 tanks and the AI starts producing them in a 2:1 ratio until it hits your requirement, automatically building when you lose a unit as well.

that's the state of the industry for you

see the issue there is one player taking control from the other

well if youre not going to play as a team in a team effort theres already a problem.

i cant remember the name of the game, but there was a way to auto build specific armies, or maybe navies in this case because i think it was a space 4x rts. it would try to maintain the numbers you set and even put them into control groups for you
was it sins of a solar empire?

this is why limitations are needed so that people know exactly what their role is

SoaSE certainly wasn't, I know that one.
You're probably thinking about Distant Worlds since that game has a metric fuckton of automation you can put in place and then just watch the world burn.

Well, you could have someone in charge of economy while another player is in charge of the army. Tech probably doesn't warrant a third player and unless there's some other function, 2 should be more than enough.

Come to think of it, Battle for Newearth is kinda similar to this, where one player plays RTS and lays down buildings and order while everyone else is a foot soldier. All you'd really need was for the players on the ground to control a squad on their own built using the economy\tech of the commander player and you'd be set.

I'm sure you've probably already noticed, but user 2 posts above already mentioned metal fatigue.

I don't know, an rts or tactics games featuring the characters from 08th ms would be pretty neat

HNNNNNNNNG

I wanted to play that but couldn't get it working but then there needs to be reason to the player why they'd want another player so the scale of this rts needs to be much grander then sup com could ever be or both the base and units have too much going for them inorder to be really effective with one person and thus a more micro intensive base and more marco intensive army could work out well

Oh yeah, how's Executive Assault? I've seen it a few times, it looks really cheesy but the idea of controlling your units and the sense of scale looked pretty great.

natural selection did this as well, and maybe the empires mod? i was kind of hoping cnc renegade would be like that, but it wasnt. it was still fun, but hardly any maps to play on.

it's trash in every regards lots of neat ideas executed horribly and it's mostly down to the shit unity engine

cnc renegade X has lots of maps

Is it still alive?

last I checked and that was pretty recent, the last update I saw added afew tib sun vehicles bu the game is really balanced over all

I wouldn't say there's a single such thing, but there are three main ones:

1) Every bum-indie studio trying to create the next big e-sports, making a boring campaign and very lackluster singleplayer modes.

2) Uninteresting and uncohesive faction design and sound design. You know the meaty feeling when you kill an enemy vehicle with a couple of MiG's in C&C:ZH, or when you land a massed Onager shot into a group of infantry in AoE II? None of that exists in any of the recent RTS games, their sound design lacks impact, oomph and feels floaty all the time. Good sound design is incredibly core to making an RTS game that is engaging to play. Secondly many units in new titles seem interesting in concept art but look just terrible ingame from the top view, often leaving you squinting at the screen trying to tell things apart. One very good example of this is Grey Goo, which has interesting factions and units in theory, but they blend into one big mess during gameplay.

3) The third reason is, well.. it's a pretty outdated genre in all honesty. This one's actually a bunch of reasons and not very easily quantifiable, but there's so many issues at the core of the RTS genre that require either finesse to avoid or boldness to fix. On a mechanical level most RTS games are pretty uninteresting and too mathematical. There's too little decision making and too much execution. This wouldn't be a problem were the mechanics themselves interactive or engaging, but it's usually just individually clicking attack move or following the build order and keeping your economy going by executing a bunch of pointless make-busy tasks. Many games in the past decided to take a different route in fixing these problems and so many sub-genres were born, most notably RTTs and 4x. The recent titles trying to 'go back to the roots' or 'bring back the golden age' have not the finesse, instead they stumble over every type of problem inherent to the genre, and as a result fall flat and flop.

Nope. I simply want more options for actual strategy and tactics. If you want to know what kinds of RTS games i've played I'll even give you a list in no particular order. WBC 2+3, Grey Goo, CnC 1,2 yuris revenge, 3; Tib wars 2,3,kanes wrath; Supreme Commander 1, FA, 2; CnC generals, Zero Hour, Various mods; Warcraft 3, Frozen Throne. When I made my statement about the current affairs of the genera I am basing my opinion on a wide range of games and their respective communities.

As for " ignoring when these tactics are actually implemented and work in existing less-realistic RTS", no, I could care less about the setting. In Supcom there was a greater emphasis on intel, troop movements and positioning, etc. Same as in Grey Goo as mentioned.

Grey Goo itself is also a perfect example of a new-ish RTS game that tried to me marginally innovative and got shat on because "it just didn't feel right" or "it didn't innovate enough!". But then you have shit like Tibwars 4 where people then cry "TOO MUCH INNOVATION, WHERE'S MUH BASE BUILDING!".

I think you've nailed it.
Most of that I'd blame on the multiplayer focus of most games.
I don't think anyone believe that RA2 was the most balanced competitive RTS game, but it sure was a lot of fun with it's entertaining campaign and creative units.

Indeed.

If your just going to post a list of RTS, you might as well post all of them, not to mention the argument is just a valid as "My dad works at Nintendo"
RTS Communities are notorious for infighting
Which team is op and ect… You wont find a single RTS community that sharees one mind except maybe for the single fact that established communities don't like their shit changed FUCK YOU FAF, I will never forgive what you did to my harbingers

Grey Goo was shit because of the maps were too small, the battles were too small scale and the game was poorly balanced, not to mention poor unit variety
They tried to be innovative like starcraft, not realizing starcraft came out more than a decade ago and thats technically not being innovative
There were also a few other reasons that i can't remember but these points stood out most for me
Also Tibwars 4 never happened user and they weren't being innovative either

People in the games developer community just don't understand what innovative means and what that entails
Instead they just sprout it out like a meaningless buzzword

I agree with all your points except for the third one, I dont think 4X and RTTs were made to remove problems inherent to the genre, but rather were more to focus on a specific aspect of RTS's that was particularly liked
The rest of its quite correct

Literally Grey Goo

Are there any RTS games that focus on naval combat besides RA3, Oil Rush, and Red Dragon.

Submarine Titans, supcom (if your playing naval with no air, Maelstrom)

RA and RA2

Did I fall into an alternate reality or something?

I have the installer and it simply doesn't work. Please help. I so badly want to play 100 levels of insect swarming fun.

So how do I get it to work? It worked when I activated the compatiability option, but then it crashed when I selected a faction for the campaign. There is this talk about glide graphics shit or whatever, so, what to do?

Million years in paint

Liar.

It's still 2017.

how do you stand that shit

What's the verdict on the MoW games, I know AS2 is the most popular but are any of them essential to play.

Red Tide was also a naval-focused game.

To be fair, Hierarchy was really the only unique thing from the game

i have some bad news for you

With From the Depth I finally got that skirmish mode for Hostile Waters.
On the other hand, I'm 10 hours in and have not finished the tutorial…

Just for you guys.

Is that a webm of nothing but pain?

Gee Bill!

Is that Galactic Colossus masturbating?

Galactic Colossus is not so lewd as to masturbate on top of her friend Tempest. She's just trying to balance herself on Tempest's huge, throbbing Oblivion Cannon.

If drag selection worked right and there was attack move I'd say that it's straight up better than DoW3. All it is is a slightly less in depth and significantly faster DoW2 with warthogs.

Missing apparently sacrifice a great niche game.

I could be blind and not see it on there though

>her friend
>Tempest's huge, throbbing Oblivion Cannon
I keep forgetting how English pronouns work. Imagine how silly this sounded when I made the gender agree with Tempest instead of Colossus.

Now see, who said Tempest wasn't a girl too?

I can't stop shaking. A Polish RTS.
I hope it will be great, mecha are always a good thing

There really is no truer sentiment regarding the gundam franchise.

Well, I've seen girls with cockpits in my time, so it's not that far-fetched.

one jobbu man

It's been bloody ages since I've heard talk of Hostile Waters. Maybe I should give the Antaeus a visit.
What is this?

Think Kerbal Space Program but focused on ship battles.

That's the fucking Supcom 1 Aeon Experimental Submarine "Tempest", you nigger.
the thing that should be riling your autism is the fact that the UEF head ejection system is supcom 2 exclusive

it's still not a dicklord spiderbot either way

Does anyone know where I can look into more of those tactic maneuvers (Like at )
and overall get a good grip on the stratagem behind conflicts like these? I'm just curious.
sage for off-topic, but this seems like a good thread to ask.

What am I looking at?
Is that the Cybran and UEF ACUs from Supcom 2?

It's a Titan and Cyborg commando from Tiberian Sun.

Ahhh,I see so I was completely off

at the end of the day people will always hate it because ensemble is kill

this

CA actually managed to fix it with Total Warhammer.
And it only took them 9 years

Kane's Wrath turned out good, which was surprising considering that game and Red Alert 3 Was developed by total idiots. I wonder how much better it would have been if the original team worked on that.

I hate that shitty comedy/funny theme they used in those games. Red Alert 3 was totally trashed, not only the theme but also the gameplay, like what is up with those weird ass money collector things?

Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath may look more serious on first sight, but they also downed down on the darker shit in that game. I mean just look at the lame ass spectre's and their tiny rockets. Everything in that game is to round, it's like the entire nod army was designed to be kids toys and they made sure kids couldn't hurt themselves on them. And the GDI units are just as bad, low poly bullshit units that don't look threatening at all.

Was it true, an user stated that Star Wars Empire At War originally have boarding action and Some Capital Ships provide air support during ground battles and can anyone provide links to where did they get that Info

Why does everyone hate Planetary Annihilation by the way? I bought it like last month for, idk, 8€ or something like that and I think it's fun. Big battles always end up being a lag fest, but games are usually over before you even get to that point unless you delay it on purpose.

There's so much wrong with new RTSs that I don't know where to even begin pinpointing where the shit starts and ends. Even without playing them I can always see that they are crap even if I can't explain what problems they have. Grey Goo and Act of Aggression make good study examples to see where today's RTSs have gone wrong. They had the right ingredients to make a good RTS yet I can instantly see that they are shit games or at best mediocre without playing them.

There is something I noticed that is consistently a problem, bad/samey unit design, too much highlighting and/or uninspired art-style/color-palette. Everything looks like a blob with a ton of highlighting, that's fucking horribly bad design, very unpleasant to watch. Most (Every one of these) games have a shitty color-palette, that also makes it unpleasant to watch and makes everything look the same, you can't distinct the units properly.

yes, I know the old ones can't be used anymore
Hope truly is a futile emotion

Overpromised and underdelivered, and it was a kickstarter thing. Good, but like everything else Holla Forums will shit on anything that isn't obscure weeaboo nonsense and even that will be shit on for being weeaboo

What did they promise that didn't make it into the final product? I remember it being sold over… I don't remember the exact amount but wasn't it over a hundred or something like that? I remember people being salty about that.

I have 20 hours in it so far and it doesn't look that bad to me. It has map control, no micro management (huge plus because I am not a fan of micro management) and the game forces you to constantly spy on the enemy.

ring of red was a pretty good mech/infantry strategy-ish game

Also uses PGI art assets.

What can you tell me about Perimeter and Maelstrom?

it was made by the same team who replaced westwoods staff after they were gutted, this team made generals/ZH which was indeed a good game but that's because it took inspiration from starcraft

red alert on the generals engine basically and they went full we want the esports market with it as starcraft 2 poisoned the market hard at that point. what they fucked up was they thought red alert was a super wacky fun time RTS when really red alert had a serious gritty setting but it just didn't take its self serious which these people didn't and couldn't get

everything was designed by a college drop out student who literally one of those 8 years later no progress tards off of deviant art

perimeter is actually a underrated gem pretty solid and really fun over all, it's sequel isn't as good but it's playable. maelstrom is an abortion of ideas mixed into one the gameplay is very boring because of this as their focus was on adding shit like "first person unit controls" and terraforming plus water physics dynamic gameplay, thinking about it it's like a proto red alert 3

Red Alert 2 felt like a corny James Bond Movie where you played as the spy agency's armed forces against supervillians, both sides trying to outdo each other by using the best gadgets. Saying it wasn't wacky is wrong, but it definitely played it serious and had real stakes to it.

Somebody else played perimeter other than me?!
We need more terraforming as a mechanic in games tbh.

Thanks I'll try it. On a similar note, anyone know something like eco-system strategy games? I remember there was these kinda sandbox game where you had to terraform to guide some obongos around. Something like that with actual management.

populous nigga

agreed

from dust? that was a shit cunt over all

sadly it's a never realized sub genre of RTS

I got two screenshots from a mod called Kane's Wrath Reloaded, just so people can get a idea of what the units in KW look like. Really hate this new cartoonish art style they use in every game. Trying to make their shit look friendlier so they have a easier time selling it I guess.

Late reply but
It's not the worst C&C thing to come out of EA, but it's up there.

here's a dum pf concept art for the game
conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/155746-From-Command-and-Conquer-3-Tiberium-Wars

and I can't find the portfolio of the "artist" for tib twite as it's scrubbed but it's no doubt the same guy, Michael Zimmerman

It is bad. Uprising fixes some problems, but it is still bad. You can now only have one collector instead of several, dumps down the economy. You also have several of the good buildings right next to your base.

Instead of bigger fights you fight with smaller armies, you might as well play dota or shit like that. You don't have units that are overall good. That one russian tank was nerfed and the army in general feels weaker.

Overall trashy game, not even worth pirating.

I feel like everything lately has been so shit that it appears a lot better than it actually was.

Well if we lived in a world in which no other rts existed I would probably recommend playing it, but there are alternatives worth playing.

Yes I know I talked shit about Kane's Wrath just a second ago, but the game itself is pretty decent actually. Yes the art style sucks, but other than that it is a good game. You got nice fast units to scout, cheap units to harass your enemy, several different ways to play so you can adapt to your enemies gameplay. And if you are into mind fucking your enemy you also got options like setting up a fake base.

You can also do cool shit like sending a shadow team into the enemy base and have them drop a beacon in there so your specters can attack from a distance. You can definitely pull some sexy shit in that game.

Yeah, there's also the fact C&C3 has some kickass mods going for it. Not so sure about RA3 modding scene, never seen anything good.

Tiberian Sun truly had the best atmosphere and music.

RA3 has an interesting Generals mod.

But RA3 did have a big shitshow of a mod called Paradox. The devs basically promised tons of stuff, apparently hit "engine limitations"and then decided to, instead of doing the things the engine allowed them to, drop the mod and make a "LE SUPER RETRO 3D QUAKE-SHOOTER XDDDD" but then they ended up dropping that project for some semi-realistic space combat game that they dropped as well.

The worst part is that for a team who constantly jerked themselves off on how "great a community" the mod had, they literally did nothing to save the work that they did and still haven't released the files for the mod like they said they would

Also the main brony faggot behind it came out as a tranny.

moddb.com/mods/red-alert-3-paradox

Goddamnit, every time I hear about this mod it turns into more of a disgrace. Why must I suffer? Why is there no good overhaul RA3 mods? The answer is "EA LOL" but I will still whine.

A mod with like 8 factions with another 8 "minor" factions got nowhere fast, surprising absolutely no one
paradox-modfanmadebackup.wikia.com/wiki/Paradox_Mod_Wiki
Just look at all this shit.
Like clockwork.

RA3 doesn't feel that good to play tbh, the only good feature it has is the whole being able to build bases on land and water, the rest of the game is mostly trash and I'd rather play CnC3 over it any day.

I'm running out of RTS to play (discounting obscure mediocre titles) and the lack of quality mods is certainly isn't helping.

To be honest for every one good mod you find a hundred shitshows. Most mods also suffer from the fact that the devs are too autistic and have a "NO FUN ALLOWED!" approach. Like Twisted Insurrection and their Single Player Campaign.

there's stuff coming out but we can only hope it's good

Have you tried playing Blitzkrieg or Sudden Strike? Maybe Codename Panzer, Joint Strike Force or (Syrian) Warfare? How about Original War?

Blitzkrieg has a shitload of official and unofficial spinoffs, on top of an incredibly autistic Russian mod community that made a great mod called GZM. Shit allows you to even drop nukes.

If that isn't working out why not give Freedom Force a go? It even has custom made campaigns floating around.

Played both, Sudden Strike 4 is looking interesting.
Only payed Phase One, still gotta try Phase Two, Cold War a shit.
Stopped at the beginning of REMOVE ack, never got around to finish it.
Yet to try all three.
I see your mod and raise you another mod, namely cleric mod for Cuban Missile Crisis.

It's pretty good. There's also Warfare and Warfare Reloaded that play very similarly (to the point Syrian Warfare got taken down from the store at one point because the former publisher was suing them).

They're a little rough around the edges and miss some obvious functionality but are a blast to play, especially Syrian Warfare that gets the urban warfare feel down just right and you get paranoid of infantry in buildings and just snipe them from afar with your tanks until they collapse.

It's basically an RPG/RTS hybrid with actual choices and consequences. The main gimmick is that each soldier in the game is a named individual and if they die, they're dead. You can also train up hominids to take over some of the more mundane tasks to free up the humans to fight or research.

Got a link somewhere, I can't find anything about it?

Supreme Commander Forged Alliance.

The only Micro that should exist is the players ability to program your units to march in a certain formation, and react in certain manners, effectively coding your own tactics into your units so they can manage themselves when you arent looking at them. Fuck Starcraft clicking sims.

There was next to nothing that could beat massed Monkeylords in original SupCom, even equal numbers of Galactic Collosi had the issue of having to turnaround when Monkeys could surround them.. And in FA too but to a lesser extent.

One thing that used to annoy me to this day in watching old replays, was watching experimental units get slowly pissed away when mass production was possible.

FUCKING STOP, I BRT 1000000% THATS ITS ANOTHER SHITTING UPON FA AND OG SUPCOM.

FUCK EVERYTHING.

For Supcom FA, this only applies for the first ten-tirity minutes.

Then strategy becomes infinitely more important than Micro.

that's not entirely a RTS now is it, sure I could see how that kinda thing could be fun but an rts needs more interaction

fuck premade build queues tbh

Halo Wars needed some balancing, wasnt as lore murdering as greb burr, but was otherwise fun.

You could make custom groups. Tedious though.

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5100685
There you go, hope you understand slavrunes.

Its called Real Time Strategy not Real Time Tactics.

Also, I want a RTS where you have zero input or opinion on units you get supplied with, you can make requests, but they might not be given, or given entirely, or received on time. Just pore war and combat

actually you're mixing up real time strategy with grand strategy

Oh yeah, I forgot to ask: What should the next silly, lewd drawing star?

well you've got afew options, universe at war, metal fatigue and rise of legends

Hey faggos, this comes out today
Has someone who shelled money for it give out some info on it?

Dunno if it fits this thread but there is no RTT one

So Syrian Warfare will get DLC about Tiger Forces and 2016-2017 palmyra campaign sometime soon if anybody is interested

The real time interaction should be strategic in nature, not tactic. The obvious way to achieve this is simply scale, SCFA hits a primacy of strategy over tactics on the 40x40 and 80x80 maps. With better tactics automation it could hit strategic primacy on 20x20 maps, but there's a minimum scale that needs to be reached before true real time STRATEGY becomes the main task of the player, even with better indirect unit control options like TA or Dark Reign had.

poor mans arcade wargame.
DLC galore.
dependend on steam and eugene servers for multiplayer.

Doesn't Wargame rely on Steam.

RTTs are allowed as both genres are dying
But don't add them to that fucking chart
And dont post that fucking chart

You are too late
You were always too late

Anyone here that played Tzar?

Shit was pretty cash.

I played the shit out of that as a kid, though mostly fucking around in Bridge Too Close. I love its aesthetics (everything, menus, icons, the wonky perspective on the buildings, the campaign portraits…) and light RPG mechanics, being able to stage duels between your own units, naming your soldiers, creating artifacts and spellbooks and all those little things.
It wasn't on par with AoE 2, and it could have used some fixes (like wizards not being retardedly micromanagey, OP priests, trade, mercenaries, pathfinding etc.), but it's definitely one of my favorites.
RIP TzarLive

Bought it on gog recently. I played it a lot when I was younger.

No, first one doesn't at least.

No one ever heard of Z (1996)?

here's the RECENT and also a different grapth

Cripplecore? Is this what they call A+right click blobbing these days?

The hell does macro-biased mean? I get what micro management is, but macro management? Never heard of that.

you have to operate on a much wider scale rather then win the little battles

Reminder you weren't even allowed to play as the best faction, only for two story missions in campaign.

I almost thought so, but why is starcraft 2 in the middle then? Never played it but I thought it was full of micro bullshit. Also, RA3 is basically the opposite of RA2 then with all the micro bullshit they put into that game.

that's because of cut backs tbh

it's not in the middle and if you want to have something added go ahead and add it

Quite a few mods add them back in considering a lot of their stuff is in the game files.

The X axis deteminds if it's micro or macro focused right? Because it is in the middle of those too, and from what I heard should be further left.

ah wait I'm confusing "center" as middle, fix it then if it's an issue

I have never played Starcraft, people just say that it is hugely micromanagement focused.

I want Segay to buy off Petroglyph, I'm afraid that they'll go out of business.
All their games grow on me and I don't want to see them out of business.
I've even been buying their 8Bit series

If you're looking for stuff like the left pic, try the kohan series. You make squads/companies instead of lone units, and if you catch a company who has their support units exposed you can really fuck them up. The only thing that messes with me is that the range on archers and stuff seem inconsistent at times, but that's a problem a lot of old rts games had I feel. One feature I really miss that Kohan 2 was missing from the first one was the option for the company leader to stay back, giving you the to have them fight in the front with the other troops or stay in the back of the battle and maybe get flanked if you're not careful. In the second game each commander has a preference for were they want to be already. If your commander died, your companies morale would get fucked and you would lose control of them until they chilled out.

Yes.

It's a well known goddamned law of any form of fiction that the "Goddamned United States Goddamned Marines" can beat anything.

Kohan was a pretty cool game with some concepts I wish more RTS took advantage of. But it wasn't without it's problems.

Although you could make squads instead of lone units, there was always a type of units that composed about half of the entire squad and everyone else would be restricted to support roles. There's still a lot of different combinations but it does cut down a bit on the customization, not to mention the very low amount of troops per squad, 8 in Kohan and 6 in Kohan2 if I'm remenbering right, plus their commander.

Then there was the economy which honestly is what actually made me stop playing it. The flow of the game is dictated by Gold since it's used to order new troops and build\upgrade your towns. The greater your income, the faster you'll recruit and tech up.
And despite having several other resources like wood, stone, iron, crystals, etc they were mostly pointless. Having a surplus only gave you some trickle in gold, having them missing instead would cut down on the gold you were receiving.
Ideally, you'd want all resources to be positive but as close to 0 as possible to maximize Gold income, something you achieved with a combination of buildings to trade those resources for Gold.

Problem is, besides being horribly simple this is something that a player can just look at his army, figure out the resource upkeep for the units he wants, then make all the required buildings to produce said resources and dump everything else into Gold production.
Towns didn't trade anything between each other, resources didn't stockpiled, repairing didn't consumed Stone, etc. Massive disapointment there.

Not to mention that, since you massively increase your Gold income from leveling cities, which also increases your squad cap, you'll reach a point in the game where you can sustain 32 squads but your gold income allows for 8-10 only and the solution here is to make more towns, which in turn increases your army cap even more.

Kohan 2 you get to have 8 units as well, you get to choose different units types for different sections, and there are 3 sections. Frontline, flank, support 1, and support 2. The frontline and flank can only be used by the "regular" units, and only support units can be in the support. I don't mind it that much since the support units are pretty powerful and are meant to be rare. There is a mod though that will let you have support units in the front and flank.
I do agree that the economy system favors gold too much even if I find it interesting. You should be able to do something with the surplus in nongold resources, maybe like a company upgrade or something, and limited trading with the buildings.
I don't know how you would want the towns to trade with each other, maybe you mean like you can recruit units in a certain town if a neighboring city has the required buildings or something? I'm not sure but I think repairing cost you gold. The whole issue with the cities thing seems just like a obvious thing that would naturally happen, you don't have enough resources to sustain your shit, you need to expand. Since gold stockpiles, you can always go into negative income to recruit a larger army if you need to.

They will just construct Ayy Removal Robots

I wonder why.

I meant something like Gold stockpiling globaly but resources stockpiling locally in each town and being used for specific things in them.
Building\repairing stuff could cost wood or stone depending on the buildings you're making while re-supplying units could take whatever resources that unit needs (wood for archers, crystals for mages, etc).
Then trade caravans pick up excess resources from one town and take it to another to even things out but also giving your opponent a target he can make a move on, cutting supply lines.

If the collection of resources was also tied to the map (towns near forests can gather wood, near mountains can gather stone, etc) their placement would matter far more as well and if it stockpiled, sieges would be games of attrition instead of regular battles with a bonus for siege units only.

How terrible is it then?

I can't find anywhere else to buy it but Steam.

gog.com/game/wargame_european_escalation

That's the point m9. Overwhelming odds make everything better.

I guess it's true, they just don't make games like these anymore.

Was the Act of War game story George Soros endgame?

In the name of Hotwheels!

That >typical is more realistic if you have tanks with people in it, trying to pass.
AI could work around it by doing that flowthing but problem is, most of these units do not find any path.
They simply just push each other away like magnets on the same pole, so it is not revolutionary, it's just lazy.

That actually is pretty impressive. I hate the slowown and order execution delay in SupCom FA when the match gets really large. I wish the second one wouldn't have been such a piece of shit.

How are all of these new games
shaping up? Any of them good?

you should be very ashamed of yourself for posting this

Tough call on that. It started off pretty bad but updates and the DLC did make the end product more tolerable. The biggest complaint that people have about it is that it both oversimplified itself (to appeal to a more casual audience) and tried too hard to add in faction diversity. Namely removing the navy and artillery from the Aeon in favor of mass hover units and teleportation.

If I were to make a comparison I would say that the Supcom 1 to 2 transition played out in much the same way that the Morrowind to Oblivion to Skyrim transition played out. Where a wider variety of options and choice was taken away for more superfluous things like graphics and 'casualization'.

What could have arguable saved supcom2 would have been if they had made it more mod friendly and included a mapmaker. Those 2 simple aspects alone can keep an RTS interesting long after it's initial release.

The Revamp mod tried to fix Supcom2 and make it more like FA but they went so overboard with the tech tree and economic adjustments that it slowed the game to a worse crawl than vanilla Supcom.

Additionally to be fair and bearing in mind that hindsight is 20/20. The biggest complaint that reviewers had when the original came out was that "It was too hard" and that "the learning curve was too steep". So based on that when they made the second one they tried to make it more accessible but in the process cheapened the games depth overall.

Huh, maybe i should revisit it. When i played it i was just devastated about the resource flux system being ripped out, the three tiers removed, and pretty much dropped it right there. I also remember that mass converters were way too efficient and everyone just spamming those alongside energy generators instead of having to fight over extractors.

Stronghold Crusader doesn't have a more in depth focus on economy then AoEII? You're a crack smoking brainlet. Go play both games and come back retard.

How well would the pathfinding do in a map like this?

No and there's nothing that wrong with it aside from it being different than the other Red Alerts

Fuck me I recognise that song but can't remember for the life of me the name.

Yeah, I have… hence why I said that its retarded.
It's a fucking farce.

They did try to nerf mass converters and it did work to an extent. It might still be viable on a smaller map with few extractors but now that extractors increase production over time it is usually more worthwhile to take territory and spend research points on unit upgrades.

Going for mass converters can be a bit of an all in gambit that doesn't pay off as well as it used to.

If you do revisit it you might be interested in checking out 2 of the popular mods for it. Revamped (tech tree pictured in previous posts) or Supcom2 2013. Revamped is good if you like long games in the more traditional Supcom:FA style but be warned the AI is stupidly worthless (at least from what little I saw). 2013 is neat in the sense that it adds some more faction diversity but the creator also turned it into about the biggest spamfest I have ever seen.

I stick to the vanilla game mostly but I've been thinking about giving Revamp another go.

The only thing impressive from that video was the last second or so where the unit jumped over the obstacle.

My guess would be hugging the sides nearest the bends of each turn but otherwise it would handle OK. Pathfinding only gets noticeably fucked up when maps have tons of shit in the way and lots of sharp angular paths for units to get hung up on.

Wow it's Starcraft with 3 troop resources instead of 2! Seriously how is that a stronger focus on resource management than Stronghold?

Are you some sort of AOE2 fan boy?

Bump because I fucked up and made a thread instead. Also I fucked formatting, so I deleted it too.
Suggestions for RTS improvements:
Allow for the construction of individual units, but allow manual grouping as a squad, and have that squad show as a new option when building units. Binding units as a squad would aid in the ease of unit group selection.

Who else wants an infinite procedural space RTS by the way?

Anyone seen this? I'm cautiously optimistic based on what the devs are promising, but it doesn't look very good so far.

user, this doesn't look like RTS or even RTT to me. You sure you're in the right thread?

Well do some research, it's an RTS. Just a beefed-up trailer, but probably representative somewhat as it's supposed to have some sort of action camera as one of the main features.

Do you know how many ways you can acquire coin and how each way has to be managed in order to sustainably acquire coin? There is also the human resource which requires management beyond building houses.

I'm still not impressed. This looks like castrated Total War so far. Try and sell me on it.

I wouldn't try that because I know precious little of the game myself. It features slavs, vikings, anglo-saxons and germans and you apparently try your hand at world conquest as one of the factions. They promise streamlined resource management and base building (doesn't sound good) and strategic, highly tactical combat (sounds okay?). Only one screenshot looks decent graphics-wise, but this could be very early in development so we'll see.

I've read all of that at the game's Steam page. I was asking why exactly you are hyped about it. Try to convey to me why do you think it will be good.

Eh mate, which part of
conveys me being hyped about the game?
I'll say though that I like the setting and the gritty feel, and I always thought RTS games should have more overarching world campaigns with scripted world events, rather than just a linear set of maps. Focus on combat also sounds okay-good although I also want a resource management system with depth that compliments the combat, but in general the fighting itself has been really lackluster in terms of mechanical depth in RTS games for a very long time. I'm hoping they can incorporate some mechanical functions to fix that, it sounds like they want to. I'm not a big fan of the action camera though and I don't see the point other than being "woah cinematic cool" and I fear they'll end up overdoing it. This is also the dev team behind HATRED so I don't have high expectations for story, but at least they bother to have a fucking singleplayer campaign which is where all the recent indie studio RTSs' and even AAA RTSs' go horridly wrong.

Oh and sorry for brash first response, I read your post as "You sure you're right in the head?"

If these people are trying to revitalize the genre, they are doing a terrible job.

No it's called not pandering to e-sports. If you make them multiplayer you're going to have to rebalance the shit out of everything as to not upset autists, leading to a neutered single player experience. They're all shit, but for completely different reasons. They're either bland or heavily combat focused.

Well they at least aren't making a Multiplayer focused title when the bread and butter of the RTS experience has always and always will be Singleplayer.

While I understand the dislike for multiplayer, I do not believe it applies in the same way for RTS as it does for FPS, 3PS, turn-based strategies and etc.
I don't remember a single good RTS game that was sigleplayer only.
Divinity dragoon commander you say ? Abysmal gameplay. Units ouright suck and you might as well play just for the story.
Meridian: Squad 22 ? Perhaps but even steamdrones don't like it.
Stronghold 2 is probably the only one that lacks multiplayer and is really good.

Look up to your favourite RTS game and see if it has multiplayer. The vast majority of good ones do.
RTS is usually balanced for skirmish mode. Whether vs player or AI is irrelevant. If the RTS has shit balance on skirmish it will be shit for multiplayer and singleplayer alike, because after the campaign all you have left is skirmish vs AI. (if singleplay only) And it damn well better be balanced.
You guys are looking at the modern *multiplayer lobby only* games that lack any singleplayer or story and equating multiplayer of all types to that. But that isn't always the case. For RTS multiplayer is important since most have skirmish.
We will leave games like DoW3 out, because they intentionally remove skirmish. Most sane RTS devs don't do that.
I would go as far as to say that an RTS game without relative balance in multiplayer is by default shit.

Well, if they do make overarching campaign this'll be a plus. I always felt more… complete? when the game allows me to transfer at least part of accumulated troops/resources/research/anything else to the next mission.

Dragon Commander was gutted for funds to get Original Sin out the door. Its a terrible RTS, and I can see why they chose to finish up story/VN aspects over the RTS. If you are slapping something together to throw it out the door, that is a lot easier to slap together than making a good RTS.

It is also not singleplayer only, but I haven't played the multi. The RTS in general didn't impress me.

Starcraft 2 at least has completely different balancing goals than the MP side of things, void rays in particular stand out.

I remember early in WoL how easy it was to get steamrolled by void rays. Or ultralisks. Or siege tanks. Or infestors.

The only RTS I ever played semi seriously was aoe2 and it pretty much went like this

The problem is that once multiplayer is implemented there's no reason not to go full e-sports. You want to appeal to a wider audience? Add multiplayer. Oh you added multiplayer? Well just make it e-sports focused, you'll get way more publicity and players with minimal effort. Oh, it's e-sorts. It's very easy way to fuck over a game.

I don't know user, can they? The only game that comes to mind is Stronghold Legends, where you can edit the singleplayer stats and still play multiplayer with separate ones.

I haven't played much of sc2 but I know you can cheese the shit out of games with different unit combos.

Just realized that Act of War lets you weaponize Ebola. Imagine the butthurt if that came out today?

Yes it is easy to fuck up a game, but if the recipe is done right you get an old school rts with multi and a relatively balanced skirmish.
Suppcomm, C&C pretty much all of them, warcrafts, battle realms, both dune games, universe at war, dow 1-2, tzar, age of empires 1-2, battle for middle earth. Even starcraft 1.
None of them were specifically aimed at e-sports yet have pretty fun multiplayer. I just finished 2 games of supccom faf. Far from an esport but definitely keeping a community all these years.
If an RTS is balanced for skirmish vs AI it is also balanced for multiplayer. Skirmish is really important in my opinion.

user, 50% of what was released 10 years ago would cause massive butthurt to normalfags.
And it the same will happen 10 years from now.

Just want to clear that that's not true at all. You can start a game against AI only that doesn't even go online if you want to play regular Skirmish. It doesn't count for grinding those skulls or hero XP, but it's very much possible to have traditional Skirmish with DOW3.

That's jumping to conclusions though. It's not the presence of multiplayer that ruins those games, it's the pandering to a specific playerbase that requires perfect balance between all parts of the game, balance being a finnicky word for them.

And even that isn't so bad, poorly balanced games always end up pidgeonholding players into specific strategies or playstyles if he wants to win at all, unless the AI don't use the unbalanced units\tactics, at which point those become cheap ways to win the game easily in a retarded way.
This is even worse for multiplayer where players will always try their best to win and if there's a specific strategy that's better than everything else because of how unbalanced it is, then that's all you'll see in multiplayer and nobody will have fun part the 3rd time seeing it happen.

Balance is good, both for singleplayer and multiplayer and there's nothing wrong with tweaking units to make more strategies viable.
The real problem is when the game is oversimplified to the point that there's only one way (known and used by all the "pro" players) to play the game and Devs balance around that.

Anyone here played the Edain mod for BFME2? Looks good.

So how's Dark Colony?
I remember seeing the intro for it posted on a webm thread and thought it looked pretty nice.

Was this a good game.

Minus the awkwardly close camera angle, it was pretty good and some consider the best AVP game.
It also had the best ending i've ever seen to a RTS vidya

it's one of those did the best it can do with what it had and it works pretty well, the faults are only console limitations and music at best tbh

Now that's my kinda mission.

It is fucking fun. better graphics than wargame and a bunch of unit variety. instead of countries to build decks with you have battlegroups to build from divisions. only played germans so far. only a few matches. 10v10 is very nice. map control lets people get cut off. so it is alkl about the pincer. tree line and occupying city. it feel like a huge facelift to the engine.
I am pretty happy with my purchase. single player campaign for both allies and germans germans one has different voice. Good Job Eugen.

i too play this game.

it's hard to find an opponent that matches me.

most matches are a stomp in either direction.

favorite axis/allied division, go!

Even better when you discover that helicopters can land Tanks on the rooftops of buildings