Metroidvania

any new ones comin out? any good ones i should play?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/241LJ
mega.nz/#!3AhHnCSC!g2VA-rKir4Msu92LKbZQQbj27cIsuUrqh6CstZgXe6s
youtube.com/watch?v=3vFX1rY5JXA
youtube.com/watch?v=H4zDXfT6aWg
youtube.com/watch?v=tZ27zhl5y0M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Make sure you play the DS Castlevanias. Only one that's sort of mediocre is Portrait of Ruin but it's still decent.

There are a couple of cool looking ones, but they're Early Access so no I won't shill them for free.
There is a half-decent one that people tend to overlook because it's furry shit. Something something tail, as usual. Pirate it, but don't fucking pay for it.
Chasm is something I look forward to, but apparently it's in NEVER EVER territory.

i saw dead cells gameplay, but i struggle to comprehend how it's a metroidvania game if we can't even backtrack to use our new abilities. how the fuck is dying backtracking?

There was a game called Ghost Song that was supposed to be out by now that looked good. Seems it went the way of all early access and is stuck in limbo.

Pharaoh Rebirth+

The KS page says the estimated release date was three years ago now, and based on Matt's twitter he's in no hurry to finish it.

Hollow Knight was great, though a lot of the bossfights were really irritating and the Dark Souls inspired soul recovery gimmick felt really shoehorned and the money that came with it was super obnoxious and there was jack shit to spend it by like halfway through the game. All the main areas were really good though, the traversal mechanics all felt great, and the art and audio was top notch.

I wasn't referring to that, but now that you mentioned it yeah it looks very promising.
Maybe you get permanent upgrades between runs like in Rogue Legacy?

Forgot I had a bunch of screenshots to post. Also forgot to mention the mapping system is really weird and you'll either hate it with a passion or think it's novel but not great.

This, they're p good.

If you haven't played Cave Story already that's a must. Axiom Verge is pretty sweet too.

Good game, but not a Metroidvania. It's more like one of the later Shantae games with the level select thing.

Axiom Verge is pretty good
also AM2R if you haven´t played it yet and there is a hack for Super Metroid thats going to turn it into Metroid Fusion,called X-Fusion, but that is stilll in dev

Order of ecclesia is portrait of ruin with even less consequential mini-areas and gimped to fuck weaponry. If it didn't have muh original artstyle nobody would be fooled by how it's the worst one.

DOS is the worst one.

Perhaps it was a gradual decline then because PoR felt like a lesser version of DoS. Still, they are all worth playing. Most of the Castlevania series is for one reason or another.

Portrait is excellent, the only thing mediocre is the art style, and unfortunately there's some serious glitches some which can end a playthrough. I believe some (all?) are fixed in the European version but that includes a helpful money glitch, choose your poison. Also Aria of Sorrow is a must-play. Dawn is good but suffers the fate of early DS game control gimmicks, and serious grinding.

You serious? There's so many balance destroying items in that game, Death Ring, Venus glyph union, Dominus Agony, World Ring. That's just off the top of my head.

Most. Then you get to atrocities like Castlevania 64, or Lords of Shadow. Dark Souls is a better Metroidvania.

Not joking, you might want to try and check out nuPrey. It's pretty much a first-person Metroidvania in the style of SS2.

Then why not just play Metroid Prime?

One of my friends on Steam (a Metroid fan) recommended this game, but I haven't had the chance to play it yet.

Her butt seems pretty weird looking.

Ghost 1.0 is a very mediocre game. The gameplay out the bat is very, very slow and something you'd expect out of an old 2d run and gun flash game and it has the same type of cringefest humor as their previous game Unepic.

OP you should try this

That actually sounds cool for once.

Seconded. It's a meaty game lengthwise too.

I recently played through some other good titles, namely The Swapper, Hyperlight Drifter, Ori and the Blind Forest, Inside and Owlboy. I'm pretty sure that it took me longer to beat Hollow Knight (true ending) than all those other games combined, and I enjoyed Hollow Knight more throughout.

It does look really cool too, but I'll wait until it's finished before I buy it (indie devs, they only made some mobile shit before this).

that's the result when a person leaves the basement and gets /fit/, user

w-we will all make it

I honestly didn't mind Lords of Shadow to much as its own thing. I had even talked with the developers a couple of times. Don't know about now but back then they were good people.

It was a game that took a lot of good (and bad) things from other games and mashed them into an experience that was somewhere just above mediocre.

he didn't
imgur.com/gallery/241LJ

Does it have any themes to speak of?

Speaking of ergoe metroidvanias
RePure ARIA and Rakuen Iseki no Limulilim

I don't think working out magically shrink's and misaligns the pelvis user.

i bought got guacamelee cuz it was cheap as fuck. i honestly dont know what to expect

Expect memes.
I mean the whole licha libre is one huge fucking meme, but they decided to spice it up with hot dank mid 00s memes as well.

Noticed that too. Think the artist did it to keep her in the picture instead of just extending it like a non-lazy fuck.

LUCHA LIBRE MUCHAHCO!

But seriously it ain't bad just mind the crazy because it just don't stop once it starts. Thought it was pretty okay and the luchador crazy helps keep it chugging along. Don't take it seriously and it oughta be okay.

It's alright, but kinda simple. To the point where they literally color code walls to what breaks them with bright primary colors so you don't ever miss somewhere they want you to backtrack to. Combat and art is alright though, except for the pretty lazy meme integration in the background of the one town. In the grand scheme it's kind of a nothing issue, from what I recall none of the characters even say any of them or reference the signs being there, but some people get really upset over those memes.

I forgot I had screenshots for this too. I so rarely take screenshots but it seems like I've got tons of them from metroidvanias.
There's a shitload of memes and references in that one town, some of them more retarded than others, but what you see here is the full extent of their integration, just posters in a background that you walk past and no one ever mentions.

I don't know why they felt the need to have those memes. The game would be perfectly fine without them. Also you lie about the extent of the integration, the fucking not-chozo statues that give you powers would be one.

I forgot about the statues, but I also don't see references to other games as offensive as references to random image macros. The last powerup name was way more offensive than the statues anyway.

It specifically stood out to me, as almost everything else in the game follows this very nice style and has its own identity, but then the memes and references come out of no where to pull you right out of the game and clash with the style.

actually looks good borderline not pixelindieshitz aesthetic
into the trash

Guacamelee was overall garbage. Way to easy generally but the option challenges to 100% the game where obtusely hard.

I always recommend ESA

Great little title to pick up

mega.nz/#!3AhHnCSC!g2VA-rKir4Msu92LKbZQQbj27cIsuUrqh6CstZgXe6s

Now shill it to me

uhhhh, its only $8 on steam, multiple endings, great Atmospheric OST, and Hempuli the creator is really cool to talk to.

Also hes working on a sequel, which looks pretty fucking awesome

looking at that makes me fucking furious. how the fuck are you going to put effort into jokes that'll be outdated and not parody or exaggerate luchador and mexican culture instead?

Absolute jack shit was obtusely hard in those challenges. If anything the entire game should have been on that level.

wait, are there more bosses?
i lost my shit after the whole secret endings and stuff

nah thats from the making of "ESA2"

Well that's just it, there really isn't any effort put into those. It's really easy to make a bunch of filler assets by just doing a google search for "meme" and putting some quick twists on them to make them match the game, compared to trying to come up with new things that are funny on their own. The big issue is the game does also have plenty of jokes based on luchadors and mexican culture though so it begs the question why bother with the memes? Even at near-zero effort they still took some amount of work and if they just weren't even there and every spot they were was left blank it's not like the game would be barren of humor material, it's just extra unnecessary stuff packed on top of what was already sufficient.

Because memes = funi
ha ha so many funny

I hate it

You should play Rabi-Ribi if you haven't already. Metroid-like progression, very large and interconnected world, a lot of items to collect, possible to complete the game without ever picking up a single item including your main weapon. Has a lot of focus on boss battles which are inspired by bullet hell shooters.

youtube.com/watch?v=3vFX1rY5JXA
youtube.com/watch?v=H4zDXfT6aWg

And also Reverie Under the Moonlight. It's pretty similar to Symphony of the Night, I think.

youtube.com/watch?v=tZ27zhl5y0M

This one looks like trash tbh.

But this one looks pretty good.

Rabi Ribi is well worth it.

Rabi-Ribi has an overwhelmingly positive rating on Steam.

No shit, it has half naked anime girls.
But if you watch between screen covering colorful hitsparks and kawai uguu moeblobs you'll see pretty low-effort generic shit.
While the other one has obvious effort put into it. At least visibly.

I got dead cells, its pretty good for $15. Its a metrodvania in the sense that you can find permanent new abilities after beating bosses, which let you access new areas when you died and come back.

So does Guacamelee but RR at least lives up to that.

It has good music, I did get bored of it halfway through tho.

You people are absolutely fucking batshit insane with your inane moephobia. Anything with cute anime girls in it is instantly "generic shit" for no reason other than that it has cute anime girls in it. You belong in a fucking mental institution.

Are the Tomba games metroidvanias?

Have you considered that moe is as generic as you can get?

It's not shit because it is waifubait, it gets good reviews because it is waifubait.
Momodora is waifubait as well, but at least it looks good and consistent.

I can't comment on real gameplay of either of course, but visuals is good indicator of devs' attitude towards their game usually .

No idea if Rabi Ribi falls into the category, but there absolutely is such a thing as generic anime art and/or bad anime art.

AAA titles confirmed for best games in existence.

Where did I say anything about AAA games?

Have you considered that this statement is pure nonsense and that uttering it is evidence of a deficient mind? It's complete gibberish. You are stupid.

It has a very large game world with metroidvania progression where you are able to beat the whole game without picking up a single item. It has elaborate bullet hell-style boss battles where the bosses have many different attack patterns. The combat system is intricate. Your character can be upgraded over time and you can select items to boost your abilities and give you new ones. There's two different game modes, different difficulties, a speedrun mode, a boss rush mode. The soundtrack is great. The graphics are good if not amazing.

But oh wait, it's got "moeblobs" in it so I guess it HAS to be garbage, right? At least according to the fucked up pile of shit that you call a brain. And what's even better is that moeblobs don't exist, and neither does "waifubait." But I'm sure they're real in your mind.

Generic doesn't fucking mean anything.

I guess so? Tomba games are a wacky mess of genres but I suppose you do mostly open up new areas with mobility upgrades and backtracking.

Can't you fucking read? Momodora is also moeshit, yet I praise it based on consistency.
Are waifufags really so mentally unstable they stop all critical though at mere mention of criticism of their sacred cow?

There is no such thing as moeshit and I'm not a "waifufag" just because I like Rabi-Ribi you fucking retarded lunatic. You also didn't post any "criticism" you goddamn subhuman.

Yep ceasing thought all right.

Just fuck off already and kill yourself you fucking retard normalfag subhuman piece of utter fucking shit. You fucking degenerates are turning the internet into an uninhabitable fucking shithole with your stupid fucking mentally ill drivel.

I am once again not a fucking "waifufag" just because I like Rabi-Ribi you stupid fucking piece of fucking shit. And you have the fucking nerve to tell me that I'm "ceasing thought" when you're this much of a fucking moron who can't comprehend even basic fucking logic.

And no shit I'm having a meltdown when I can't fucking mention anything like Rabi-Ribi anywhere without at least one of you fucking degenerates throwing a retarded shitfit. Fucking end your existence you fucking normalfag cretin.

At this point should probably start posting smug anime girls, but I don't keep any on my computer.

At this point you should find a kitchen knife and plunge it into your fucking neck you fucking subhuman.

Generic absolutely has meaning when applied to art. Not always bad, but uninspired, and I love good unique styles over run-of-the-mill.

And here we fucking go, right on fucking schedule. The inevitable, obligatory, omnipresent accusation of "autism" that fucking always shows up when anyone has the fucking gall to defend anything pertaining to Japan.

You fucking retard normalfag piece of shit subhuman.

It absolutely has no meaning unless you're a fucking moron.

I start to think you have a legit, medical case of autism.

And the normalfag subhuman is still here, still desperately defending his delusional retard shit. The typical normalfag will do this for 12 hours straight or longer if need be, because that's how important it is for the normalfag to attack attack attack attack and attack anyone who dares to defend something Japanese from the normalfag's insane attacks.

Fucking kill yourself you fucking piece of shit.

What am I defending exactly? I though it's you who desperately tries to defend this generic moeshit?

Quit this stupid fucking bullshit. Rabi Ribi doesn't look too good nor does it look too bad, but it's very well worth playing and seeing for yourself.
I've got a question, is Steamworld Dig any good? I've been playing Steamworld Heist recently and I'm really digging it.

This is complete nonsense. Fucking insane, lunatic gibberish from the feverish, delusional and broken mind of a piece of shit normalfag who can't string together even a single coherent thought.

Jesus fucking christ. And this shit goes on every single fucking day on probably every imageboard there is, fucking non-stop. Normalfags should all be fucking killed.

Good game. The craziest part how the game was made because of the limitations of the programing language it was written in (or maybe it was some cheep game-maker engine). I can't remember all the particulars but if you watch NakaTeleeli's lets play he talks about it. Something about the game only having one room but its redrawn every time you touch the edge of the screen.

this optional shit wasn't fun or well designed. You are full of shit defending that meme game.

dowlnloaded Ill be on the lookout for the sequel thanks user

R u a gurl? In that game. Are they gonna try some joke with that? Gameplay wise it looks pretty solid. I can't quite put my finger on it, but that art looks familiar.

Oh I thought you were talking about the inferno challenges, not those platforming sections.
They were fine but tedious. Especially how much you have to restart for any screwup.

sorta reminds me of Capsized

yes

Start slow ends up very hard difficulty and pace wise you start with a crappy peashooter and you end up filling half the screen with bullet and even that is barely enough in places
Plays kinda like less floaty Intrusion 2 at the basic level
The difficulty curve is broken as shit first boss wrecks you shit hard (got nerfed since I played last though) then nothing is hard until the red area and then it throws the final fight at you and you're in for a rough time if you're not fully decked out and actually somewhat good
The humor is "Us gamer amirite?"-tier
The optional treasure hunt part is actually somewhat interesting
The randomizer mode might give replay value but I never bothered.
Worth a pirate imo but the cracked version is broken iirc so don't use that one powerup that allows you to grab every pickup on screen if you don't want broken pickups for the whole game.

The mini sequel demake thing might actually be more interesting overall

still waiting one la-mulana 2.

had a really good time with hollow knight though.

I only found out on the last level of Shantae & the Pirates Curse that you can use the lamp to suck up all the items on the screen, so I guess I'll live.

Rain World.

Nice, it didn't crop.

Why did you not use ALT+PRINTSCREEN? Or paste it into an image editor to verify the contents first? Who farted? These questions, and more, await you on the road of life.

this was the best I could I could come up with. it doesn't look that bad to me. although I'm not an artfag when it comes to stuff like this

I was in the bath and on my phone and used Google to get the picture as I didn't have any of my own screenshots.
Good questions.

I'd like to know something. Is anything in ESA time limited? As in if I take my time exploring will I miss out on endings/areas/items etc?

as lazy artfag I think the artist is only good at colouring and nothing else

There's that Dead Cell game.

ye, I'm waiting for the full release

You niggas ever hear of GunGirl2?

Fuck off you fucking normalfag subhuman.

As an artfag too this kind of shit ruins jack off material. Thanks a lot for pointing it out faggot.

Ya'll need to off yourselves.

You got where her arm starts wrong. Do you really think her torso consists of one boob? Her left shoulder is a lot further down. I'm awful at this, but you should get the idea. Her torso would have to be thin as fuck for the shoulder to be where you drew it.

compare the length of the arm you drew in with the length of the visible arm, though. it's still way off

protip the spine starts at the back of the pelvis, basically at the top of the butt crack, which is another problem I see with this drawing. I'm only an amateur myself, so I'm not confident on my box of the pelvis, but the spine is definitely broken. I also think the left leg buttocks is far smaller than the right, even considering the flexing of the muscle and the butt crack is far off center.

I'm kinda OK with this. I guess I'll e-celeb this shit up a bit.

I played this one. Not very interesting and doesn't have much content. Best thing it has going for it is the graphics.

We're on the internet son if there is one thing that will always be serious business it's fap material.

Less broken and more he decided to have it not exist. If I'm looking at that right he messed the perspective up and her torso somehow shifted over entirely leaving her lower body behind. That and the arm holding her up is off as well should be a few inches to the right to account for position. The pose can physically exist but he managed to whiff the anatomy entirely. This is why artists like them little wooden poser dolls it helps avoid mistakes like this.

Me Gusta…

I think a lot of people are the missing the inner thigh coloring (the secondary purple highlights) because her right heel is obscuring that part and also that the background is essentially the same color as her suit highlights. Her left leg is not just the blue part. Also, the part of the pelvis where the spine and pelvis meet can be inset from the where the buttocks protude; especially when they are larger than usual

You nigs are blind.

Feels good not to be colourblind

And that concludes our show for tonight. Tune in next time for more art with Holla Forums.

Go fuck yourself you fucking piece of shit subhuman.

I don't know why but Dunkey's smugness when talking about anything always infuriates me.

bump

the shape illustrated here is how I imagined it first, but now I can't unsee it

I guess it becomes a composition problem then, it might've been better for a wider range of color's especially around the buttocks area, and I admit I'm an amateur but I do like to try and learn from other's mistakes and or just see what they do, the spine pelvis still looks wrong to me, in that the rotation seems a bit severe, but I guess the idea was to the break the pose in order for it to be "sexier" .

Nice but I have one thing concerning me; Are the devs for this game friends with SJW and/or game "journos"?

Doesn't really come off as smugness to me, more like overwhelming sarcasm. But that's just me.

IDK about Metroid X Fusion, but i'm pretty sure Megaman X Corrupted is coming along slowly but surely.

It's shit, don't fall for it.

I was able to tell that from seeing 3 seconds of the game. It looks like standard pixel indie trash.

HMMM

Because they didn't trust their vision at all.

I hate how Dunkey can look at games in an objective sense and appreciate a game for being fun, then turn around and praise the shit out of some "artsy" POS like Undertale. He got emotionally worked up in his games of 2016 video about Inside, and I can't begin to comprehend why.

Vanquish is fucking awesome, but I don't know how the PC port is. I'd get Vanquish.

As someone generally bad at non-platformer Video Games, is it worth the time?

It's a game you can play even if you're terrible at it, if that's what you're asking. But if you really get into it there's a lot to learn, just like most platinum games. I'd recommend embed related if you're interested, Mark Brown does a pretty good job explaining. I'd recommend him in general actually he does good content.

Gave it a watch. Looks like I'll be suffering if I get it, but it does look..interesting, I guess.

Chasm, Hollow Knight, Salt and Sanctuary, Death Gambit, the basics but nothing as comfortable as Aria of sorrow back from old days, or even Dawn of sorrow, yes there is "Ritual of night" coming out, lets put faith in that, 3d, but it may work out fine.

That game annoyed me with how it kept stopping me every two screens to give me some dialogue. When I play a game like this I want it to leave me alone and let me explore.

I would have preferred them to be more challenging or for the game's combat to have more depth, but the sheer number of them (upwards of 30 according to the Steam page) made up for it.
Hardly. The game's about exploration first and foremost, so player death adding additional challenge to the room where you died is a smart move.
What? It's just any money you had on you at the time. There's a banker if you don't want to worry about that, but I wouldn't trust her.
There were some big money sinks for 100% completion, but between the money I had on me and the $10,000 in relics, they definitely ought to have put more in the game. It's not like collecting money is even that difficult in the first place, especially if you equip Gathering Swarm.

Hardly weird, just unconventional. I loved it; it's a shame you can equip the compass and completely suck the fun out of getting to know an area.

Overall, Hollow Knight was fucking amazing and a GOTY contender. As I said, the combat mechanics are too simple for its own good, but the holistic experience is unparalleled. The world is so believable and has so much history it feels like a real place, and getting lost is a lot of fun. I haven't wanted to gush about a game this much since I played Splatoon two years ago.

It's very sombre; the lack of linearity makes it more about atmosphere than themes. If there was a single them, then I'd say it'd be something about the pitfalls and problems of individualism still being more desirable than comfort of conformity.

Well, they made a good game, which is a point in their favour. I had a look at the studio's Twitter profile, and while it had the usual assortment of nobody indie developers I didn't see any red flags.

thank you, the autistm of these "art critiques" where starting to drive me nuts.

There needed to be more boss fights like Soul Master and less like Nosk. Nosk was such a buzzkill that if I were going to rate the game out of 10 I'd take off a point for how bad Nosk was. Who thought giving it two attack patterns was a good idea, and that standing in the middle platform would just make it mindlessly charge you so you can slap it on the head every pass was a boss?

Soul Master was great, yeah. Made you feel smart for dodging his attack, played well with the game's mechanics, and even had a hard mode you could fight later. As much as I liked fighting Hornet because of how cool she is, the lack of a proper roll or fast jump really made 1v1 combat fall apart. The (false) final boss was like that, too - not much difference between him and Hornet's first encounter aside from the buildup.

I almost missed Nosk, so I came back to him when I was strong to the point most enemies weren't a challenge, so I didn't have the opportunity to be disappointed by his lack of patterns. That said, his visual design is 10/10 so I can't be too angry. The part where I really started grinding my teeth was the colosseum's third trial. Failing a run took me upwards of 10 minutes, and most of the "difficulty" came down to memorizing spawn points since you can't heal during the cramped fight with all the flying enemies. Not being able to fight Tiso was also a letdown.

How's Steamworld Dig?

Not really a metroidvania. It's Terraria where instead of build shit you exclusively dig downwards. It's also like 2 hours long. Don't waste your time.

I keep going back and trying the third Colosseum but I always die when it starts doing the rapier mages with the flying mages at the same time since I start getting huge stalls and frame drops when waves spawn once I've gotten deep into any of those trials, and that plus all the random projectile and teleportation spam whittles me down to dead. I also have a really hard time spotting projectiles in that area since the background is so light colored, seems kind of like an oversight in design that the one area in the game where spotting projectiles is the most essential is also one where there's almost the least contrast between them and the background.

Yeah, and that section is only about 40% through it. You need to be properly equipped. My winning loadout was something like:
Plus all my upgraded spells and abilities, especially the dodge, and a fully upgraded nail so I didn't have to worry about damage. I found trying to adapt to each wave was futile since there's so much bullshit coming at you - instead, I give each enemy a dominant strategy and whittle them down from there. Mantis Petras die in a single charged slash, the flying fencers are easy to sword hop, etc. When you get to the section you described, I just threw everything I had at the flying mage to kill it, then reacted to the spellsword or the electric mage because all of their attacks are dodgeable. You have to stay pretty far away from the spellsword, though, since his lunge attack will hit you if you're too close, jumping or not.

Also, you can do a nail art on an enemy's spawn point just as it's about to spawn and it'll take damage as soon as it starts existing. This was invaluable for the waves after the mages because you're assaulted by flying enemies, and it's madness unless you remember where the spawn locations are and kill them before they begin clogging the screen. The astids are the worst.

You also have to cheese out heals wherever you can. If I had the ability to leave a sword & shield guy on the other end of the stage and heal, I'd take it.

Fuck. Am I missing something?

I was pretty wary when I saw this game being praised to high heaven here, but eventually I gave it a go and holy fuck does it deliver. Huge in scope, full of secrets, good bosses and upgrades, even some "oh shit" moments, and top notch artistic direction.
An indie basically has no right being this good.

awful lotta hollow knight shills in this thread

i looked up the soul master boss since you fags seem to be jacking off to this one fight in particular, and it doesn't look all that impressive to me. just from this video there are already a bunch of things i don't like about it:
fucking 10/10 gotyay right there

the only good thing i can see about the game is the backgrounds, which are really nice. as far as gameplay goes, it looks like yet another boring castlevania ripoff, but with faster combat. webm related.

also these are both shit, have a track from a metroidvania with an actual good ost. the game itself is shit due to fucking terrible design choices but is still better than hollow knight

The player in that webm is clearly using a fully upgraded nail with a damage boost charm. Both phases take three to four times as long as what he showed.

There is no need to be this upset. I don't think the OST is anything special though