3DS Homebrew Thread

"They know we can't emulate DS games so they'll let us pirate remakes of them" Edition

General status of firmware/modability: n3ds.info/
The guide to modding a 3DS: 3ds.guide/

FreeShop (discontinued): freeshop.pw/
FreeShop fork: notabug.org/arc13/freeShop/releases
gbatemp.net/threads/release-arc13s-freeshop-fork-open-source-eshop-alternative.468436/
Titlekeys: 3ds.titlekeys.gq/

Homebrew Launcher: smealum.github.io/3ds/

Pastebin: pastebin.com/7JAD1x3U

Other urls found in this thread:

uptobox.com/8i3mgdl346ms
pastebin.com/PnGu395Q
battlefieldsingleplayer.com/apachethunder/3ds/TWL/WoodR4Launcher.rar
gbatemp.net/threads/r4-stage2-twl-flashcart-launcher-and-perhaps-other-cards-soon™.416434/
gbatemp.net/threads/faq-is-freeshop-legal.469135/
en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/274/~/what-sd-cards-and-microsd-cards-are-compatible?
sighax.com/
archive.fo/ZZo4Q
3ds.guide/updating-to-boot9strap
my.mixtape.moe/vekwgj.7z
github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v7.0.5
freeshop.pw/
github.com/d0k3/GodMode9
gbatemp.net/threads/regarding-the-recent-3ds-banwave.471781/
archive.fo/Iwp6t
docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScGKO2C90xqkBOU2N3Q-nf9corv0RzQxOzXLbbZ3CH4mfVqYQ/viewanalytics
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What a pointless remake

Really? ORAS was more pointless.

It's at least a game that was kind of obscure but got more popular by word of mouth after, so there's probably a decent number of people who never got a chance to play it. Besides, it's better than Atlus wasting their time making more Neo Persona shit.

Well I for one am just glad they added marie into the game. as that one autist says
NO MARIE NO BUY

Keep your mouth shut. You're gonna trigger the shitsona cucks.

Did I hear someone say they didn't want more Persona?

Fursona

Does anyone have a link to FE Echoes? The only link of the undub takes you to a site where only "premium" users can download

Don't do it user.

I want more Persona, just not more Persona 3/4/5/Sharp FE.

It's up on FreeShop. For some reason it's mislabeled as "Shadow of Valencia" or something like that, but it's definitely The Other Hero King.

Is the vid in your pic any good?

Seach the wordpress /blogspot sites in spanish. I can't post the link because the faggots from Chaosgames and 3Dsisos ( I know you faggots enjoy shitting up and stalking every 3ds thread on Holla Forums) Plust, they enjoy reporting links that draw attention away from their 20+Adfly redirected links.

I actually haven't played the original, though everything I've heard makes it sound very interesting. The remake comes out at the end of next month, so I'll play it then.

Wasn't Imagine the MMO? I would think that'd be shit by default.

Eh, it had the best writing, but 1 was the better game.

Underage cuck*

Now we wait for the onslaught of "Can I update????" posts.

Speaking of the guide where the fuck is "CIA image options"? I press A on FBI and I get three options that aren't it.

Nevermind i got the wrong one

What game has the best 3D (NOT GAMEPLAY)? So far, I think Donkey kong country returns does. But, I haven't played that many games.

I just used this link to download the undub and it works

uptobox.com/8i3mgdl346ms
Enjoy before it gets taken down.

What about DeSu, Avatar Tuner and Soul Hackers?

wait what? Freeshop is kill? Since when? I haven't touched my modded og 3ds in a few months, so will I still be able to use it?

Please finish reading the OP

Freeshop's original version is not going to be updated because the programmer was caught distributing CP on a basic GoDaddy website. Both it and the fork work perfectly fine, but the fork will be updated.

What's the password?

I am an idiot, please laugh at me

That's fucking hilarious though

Was the CP hot?

From what I hear it was 3DPD, so no.

There's another hacker by the name of Darzozzo or something similar who was also caught slumming for underaged girls via the 3DShacks subreddit, got caught himself, is currently trying to flee the country to avoid repercussions, all while claiming what he's doing isn't illegal.

I updated to 11.4 after doing all the usual NAND stuff and whatnot, and everything still works. Too bad I've now gone through the whole 3DS library and largely found it sorely wanting. So bad that I dragged my TG16, NES, and Genesis out for some more Everdrive action.

No, he's trying to leave the country with the jailb8 and go somewhere so he can marry her.
Apparently both sets of parents know and are okay with this idea, so I'm guessing one side are immigrants.

Does anyone know how to change a NTSC 3DS' system language from English to Japanese? I know there are a few games on the NDS that change the in-game menus/text/etc. to whichever language the system is set to, and I do not want to break out my (Broken, at least, where the hinges are so the top screen can freely flop back and forth) NDS every time I want to play these titles.

shut up, there were mods that gave may huge tits

I guess brilliant people often have the most persuasive demons

ORAS' original is at least unplayable with a cart on the 3DS. Atlus keeps remaking games you can play normally (the EOs, DeSus, Strange Journey, now this.)

They're also titles that didn't exactly get as wide a print as the Pokemon games did to be fair.

I assume you're on A9LH.
Set up an EmuNAND, and when you're setting it up, you'll go through the normal set up menu for a fresh console, where you can set it to Japanese language.

I do not know if that will work or if the NDS games will detect the NTSC region and use English anyways, but that's all I can think of.

90% of Cruel's work was done by others.
All he truly made was the interface.
Every other one of his repos on Github was a shitty homebrew game, so that's the true extent of his capabilities.

Is there some PC software that helps with backing up installed .cias from the SD card to a PC, or will I have to settle with manually figuring out what files represent what?

Why can't these fucking zipperheads ship my flashcart already? Jesus Christ, Wong, it's been ten days, get your shit together and put it on a plane already.

Is the same archive from 3DSiso so is the same password.

Why not downloading the .cia from the internet instead of messing with the 3DS files?

I did do that but I don't want to spend time installing them again if I switch games on my SD, so I want to keep backups of the files generated when the .cia file is installed on my PC, which can be simply drag & dropped into the SD without installing again.
Searching the web has failed me so I guess I just will have to figure it out manually.
I'm the same user if ID has changed.

Use 3ds.titlekeys.gq to see what every title ID is.

Xiao took only a couple days to ship mine, got it in about 2 weeks total.

Thanks, this will help.

I tried this method to get Fire Emblem Echoes past the infinite 3DS loading screen:
pastebin.com/PnGu395Q
But it's not working. Also tried like 5 different copies of .cia from various upload places. wat do?

Update your firmware with Luma and it allows you to play it. Follow the guide in the OP.

Will do. Thanks.

I need recommendations on DS flashcarts, I'd assume there are different ones for 3ds and ds. If anyone could list me a few I would be forever grateful.

TopToyDS is as bottom of the barrel as it gets for just plain homebrew and game playing. Pokemon freaks out on it, though. Dunno about CycloDS or R4, as I didn't like the DS library enough to put money into playing everything for it.

First gen R4 works with wood rpg + battlefieldsingleplayer.com/apachethunder/3ds/TWL/WoodR4Launcher.rar with Luma.
Here's a thread with a bunch of .cia launchers that makes ancient DS flashcarts work on the 3DS.

Forgot to post the link: gbatemp.net/threads/r4-stage2-twl-flashcart-launcher-and-perhaps-other-cards-soon™.416434/

For the people who are trying to play FE Echoes put are stuck in the hanging 3DS logo screen, I can confirm that You have to update Luma then you'll be able to play.

I get a WRONG KEY error when I try to update Blaster Master Zero from Freeshop. Not a major issue, since I'm borderline sick of the game, but still.

I have an old as fuck rxtools emuNAND , sysNAND 9.2, can I just follow the 3ds.guide or whatever in the OP, staying on sysNAND like it says? I just want to be up to date and play the new fire emblem. I was about to do it but these posts are confusing me now

I have a 3ds with a emunand/sysnand setup because I was too fucking lazy to set up arm9 when it became a thing. I updated my emunand to 11.4 and now everything I try to launch blackscreens the 3ds. My sysnand is still 9.6 as it should be.
Did the update fuck anything up, and am I good to go on just deleting my emunand, and then setting up arm9?

It's Chrono Trigger + Chrono Cross. There are two timelines (a third added for the remake) which you can flip back and forth between, and you can travel to any point you've already been to in the sequence of events based on a large node chart. There's a lot of backtracking, though.

Should have mentioned the important part. The battle system is really fun. It's set up like Megaman Battle Network, except with multiple party members. You knock enemies around (and can stack them into the same space during combos, so a single target skill could theoretically hit every enemy at once) and have the same done to you and build up turns and cancels. Best characters are the loli who lays elemental traps (which are retardedly powerful for most of the game) and the giant fucking gorilla monk.

you probably need to update your cfw, 11.4 should be fine. i still use emunand too, don't feel bad.

Ah, even more fun. Absolutely everything is returning WRONG TITLE KEY.

havent been in these threads in a while
and if I must update my firmware to latest, wheres the latest NTR launcher

Just update with Luma and it should work.

Total newfag here, if I want to move all my shit to a bigger SD card all I have to do is copy it over, right?

Yes. I do my haxxing on 4GB cards, then copy the contents to a 32GB card after everything is done.
Alas, my N3DS is going to sit idle until I can successfully download anything again.

If using A9LH, yes. If using emunand, you need to copy the emunand partition over to the new SD card; you can use image-flashing tools to make an image of your SD card, flash it to the new one, then expand the partition using EaseUS or something similar.

Thanks guys
Was hoping it wouldn't be another big long pain in the ass, guess I can breathe easy this time

Does anyone have the newest NTRViewer exe? I'm too dumb to build it.

Praise piracy.

ah god damnit I'm a dumbass I accidentally booted luma3ds when I had arm9 enabled and it keeps booting to emunand now.
I completely forgot how to fix this

Just get KitKat.

Hold select on boot, you'll be brought to the Luma configuration menu. Change your settings there.

thanks, I don't know how I completely forgot how to use luma in 6-7 months

Fuck me dead. I hope the 2DSXL launches with

What the fuck does it mean when I get "Failed to install CDN title. HTTP sever returned response code 404" when I try to download remote download dlc for a game in FBI? Shit happens every single in the middle of the download, I've tried it several times.

Hey is there a way to use pokebank and stuff without updating?

Use CIAngel or Freeshop to download it.
I'm confused as to why it says the CDN is returning a 404. That would mean that Nintendo's CDN (the eShop and 2 other servers it uses) are down.

CTR-HTTPWN.
Google for it.

When I buy a 3DS for this stuff, should I buy an older one to make sure it'll work or is it okay to buy a newer one? Any recommendations for what 3DS to get?

N3DS is better, just don't update it and you'll be fine

so would it be better to buy new instead of used, then?

A used one is far more likely to be updated than one that's been sitting in a box on a shelf, yes

There's a new Swapdoodle exploit that someone's sitting on so Nintendo doesn't ship the 2DSXL with 11.5. Just wait and you'll be good.

Source? If you're talking about doodlebomb that doesn't help you get to anything beyond userland.

Just a quick question.
I'm updating the A9LH, and on step 5 it says that I have to copy aeskeydb.bin to the /files9/ folder on my SD card, but my SD card has no /files9/ folder.
How should I proceed?

Shit, I'm a retard.
Thanks user.
Pls no bully.

It's okay
When I did it I skipped a step too and copied over a folder with some shit in it instead of just copying the shit that was in it like I was supposed to
Would have been googling why my shit didn't work forever if I didn't think to double check the guide

Do the old enctitlekeys still work for freeshop or do i need to get the new one from the new titlekey site now?

I don't think there's any models being released on 11.4 yet.
The new 2DSXL will either be on 11.3 or 11.4, so that's a chance you'd have to take if you want one of those.

Doodlebomb would be useless.
11.3 or lower is the only way to hack a 2DSXL. No one has hinted at having an 11.4 exploit.

Freeshop will work with any enctitlekeys.bin

I asked because the US title for FE:SoV is not up yet. When does a new game usually pop up on there?

Im impatient so i downloaded the game using the QR code from the titlekeys website, is that fine?

YES. YES YOU DID.

Can someone explain why it's even possible to pirate directly from Nintendo's servers. Are they really that incompetent?

theres a new site?

It's linked the first post user.

TLDR: Their authentication for if you can download something is client side, so all you need to do is download the key and they can't do shit about it.

that site is like 9 months old, I'd hardly call it new

Just get the Japanese one, it's already up and without any censoring or god awful translations whatsoever.

Is there an english patch? I dont want to deal with any nipponese.

Anyone know where the English Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadow of Valentia is in the Freeshop?

Did you just start playing video games today, user?

Don't know, I never trust other people's translations, so I just translate everything myself.

how do i run 3dsx files?

oh shoot i need homebrew launcher, how do i reinstall homebrew without fucking things up? mine is broken right now

figured it out

god I think I fucked something up here.

I'm trying to update to a larger sd Card (64GB from 32GB), and I just copied everything straight onto the 64GB from the 32, but when I launch the 3DS, it doesnt show any of my homebrew apps or downloaded games. when I would re-insert the 32GB, it would work. (I made sure the 64GB was formated to FAT32). I can however launch Luma and Hourglass9 on the 64GB, but I dont know how to use these to get what I need to work.

and due to my absosulte dumbfuckery, I deleted what used to be on the 32 GB card,so now I have nothing that works on my 3DS now, and I don't know how to reinitiate the homebrew launcher, because my firmware is 11.4 and soundhax doesn't work anymore.

how do I unfuck myself here?

Hows that emulator that lets me play ds games from my sd card working out?

Piriform Recuva to try to recover all of the files on the 32GB card?

it's worth a shot. he might be better off just loading an old backup. surely he made backups when doing his cfw.

gbatemp.net/threads/faq-is-freeshop-legal.469135/

here, I had thought I overwritten the backups I had (because, again, I am a dumbfuck) but then after seeing your post I remembered there was another backup on my other computer. copying now. will see if it works. (would still like to figure out why I cant get my 3ds to recognize my 64GB card)

such is life at 480mbps

freeshop doesn't violate the law, i'm surprised ninty didn't add encryption later and just left it as is

ooh thank god the backup worked, the 32GB is working now. (going to try loading that backup onto the 64GB, but I'm not holding my breath)

do 3DS even support 64GB SD cards? last time i checked they only supported 32GB
en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/274/~/what-sd-cards-and-microsd-cards-are-compatible?

I have a 64gb Micro SD in my N3ds right now, just format it to be fat32 and you're good to go.

so i've followed the guide and got everything installed properly. how do i install stuff like the freeshop cia? just drop it in the root of the SD card and use FBI to install?

neat

Yeah just do that, though personally I keep all of my cia files in it's own folder in the root just so I can find it easily and keep it contained in case I need to backup.

Sighax is finally out, and some form of it is being released in the latest version of LumaCFW

sighax.com/

Stolen from GBATemp: archive.fo/ZZo4Q
SignatureHax, SigHax for short is a Bootrom Exploit revealed by Derrek at the 33c3.

Since Derrek was able to dump the 3DS Bootroms and and to Exploit them we can now sign our own NAND images.

If a bootrom was made public it could then be used to procede.
Then you'd be able to create a signature that ends up on a pointer to the check, which will compare itself with itself. (The actual sighax part) to sign firmwares with this manipulated signature.

SigHax let's you exploit signature verification of the bootrom to basically run "unsigned" (well hax-signed) firmware.
This has to be written to the firm partition.
This means your patches would be done static directly to the FIRM and written to the device. This exploit effectively "skips" the signature checking.
Therefore it can run before otp disable etc.
It runs at pretty much the earliest state you can get it.
This will make it launch slightly faster than A9LH.
It is useful if you want to install stuff like a custom OS on the 3DS.
The disadvantage is, that's not as dynamic is A9LH due to it not being a payload on SD, that can easily be exchanged. (Unless your FIRM would load patches from sd. Which then wouldn't really make a lot of sense to use this exploit)
Therefore it's harder to update - basically like an A9LH update (not the payload but the actual FIRM write).
You risk bricking each time you write to the FIRM

No. Since this is a Bootrom Exploit, it is literally unpatchable. Just a hardware revision could fix that.

Basically Yes when SigHax is released. But better keep it, that will make the future Update to SigHax easier for you.

We currently patch the official firmware with A9LH and inject cfw code into it.
Then basically have "cfw".
This is done via a verification exploit of Arm9 and loads a payload AFTER arm9 is ran.

No. if you haven't installed arm9loaderhax to your 3DS System do NOT UPDATE past 11.3

We are not yet able to do any of this.
Derrek did dump the bootrom and provided a simple explanation of how he did it.
He did not make the bootrom public though. Nor any of the code he used.

This means someone would have to develop code that exploits the Bootrom pointers and leads them to dumper code to dump the bootrom. Which is unstable and likely needs you to have a hardmod to trigger this very early exception without the chance of killing your device.

Stock-standard bit with the 3DS scene where they leap to be the first to claim or do something. I remember the JustPingo days all too well, bastard even had ".ttp" files for a downgrader he claimed to be building ready to go and nothing ever came about of it, ended up being they were just renamed zip files and were an easily accessible way to get your hands on 9.2 firmware when an actual downgrader did come about.

so I never really got a straight answer on this shit:

is it safe to just update the firmware after you've put luma and shit on the 3DS? a part of me says "no way" but everything seems so well done with the 3DS it almost feels safe.

Yes, it's safe. Make sure that luma is fully updated. Be aware that 11.4 breaks NTR streaming (which I think has already been fixed) and ctrhttpwn (forever dead). There really isn't a reason to update, though. If you have 11.2, and all you do is game, I'd just stay there.

luma's giving me an error on updating to 7.1, says the download failed to start. I've got internet connection and all, though.

Is whoever hosts it down or something?

This is pretty fucking gay.

oh.

ugh. Alright, thanks.

unless boot9strap has anything above a9lh I see no reason for this. I'm not switching from a9lh when I only switched from emunand last month

There isn't any reason for it. They are forcing you to "upgrade" if you want to continue to update luma though, which as I said is
pretty fucking gay

Primarily I see another layer of permanency to the updated method, but with how permanent A9LH already is this is flatly unnecessary. Guess all that shitposting about getting a big head over A9LH's successor just as people got a big head over A9LH being emunand's successor will come to pass, sooner or later, starting with the CFW itself leaving users who don't want to fuck around with their bootrom in the dust.

hell, I have friends that still use Emunand in current year, whatever happened to if it ain't broke don't force people to install another shittier solution.

[00:39:25] i just bricked my 3ds
[00:39:35] rip
[00:39:44] installing sighax, it backed up firm, did sighax now doesn't boot

People start huffing their own farts about modernity when the important part is that you've got fucking pirated vidya. I'd be gladly using emunand still if I hadn't gotten a New 3DS to replace my 2DS, and I'll still give legacy advice for emunand users if they need any.

brick your 3DS for the newest luma releases

Yes, a QR code through FBI is the same thing.

There is an English menu patch by SciresM. Google about for it.

Might not be up yet.
Check 3DSISO

NEVER EVAR

Idiot.
Just anonymously release it in a fucking pastebin from an internet cafe.

EmuNAND just werks. I've got not reason to change over to A9LH.

WEW

Going to hunt through the 3DSHacks reddit and screencap retards.

Nintendo makes me laugh so hard at their security measures.

how do i use FBI to scan QR codes from titlekeys?

Scroll to the bottom of the FBI menu until you see Install from QR.

so the main menu? i don't see it. is it in some subdirectory?

Ah, it's under Remote Install. Thanks.

Outdated copy of FBI. There should be an update button somewhere, assuming you have the "new" blue and white interface.

well the QR code scanner doesn't seem to be working, there's another thing to look into

My FBI is on ver 2.4.8
The update option at the bottom of the list says that there are no updates available.

Remote Install is installing from your PC using File Transfer Protocol.
Keep scrolling down, it goes further down the screen.

Doesn't seem to go further down. After I pass "Remove Install" and "Update" it loops back up to "SD" at the top.

So, looks like sighax is finally out. Why would anyone want it? Al9h works fine. Does it magically give me more vidya to play? Seems like a pointless upgrade.

Can I play DS roms on my 3DS yet?

Off the SD card? Only a few, but it's really sketchy

A flash cart is best for this.

I've properly organized the newly required files if you want to switch from A9LH to sighax, you can download them here and skip 90% of the prep work. my.mixtape.moe/vekwgj.7z

From there you can follow the steps here to complete the upgrade: 3ds.guide/updating-to-boot9strap

Is it okay to use Spotpass on games downloaded from the Freeshop?

You can't be b&, as far as Ninty is concerned, anything you download from the free shop you own a legitimate copy of.

In other words, only blatant cheating or breaking their rules will get you fucked in the ass.

Literally no point to update yet. The only true benefit at this point is "faster boot times", but people did speed tests on GBAtemp and were getting 3 seconds slower with B9S.
Also, for reference, this is for updating to Boot9Strap. This is separate from SigHax, which is a similar exploit by a different guy that causes bricks.

Until Luma releases an update that adds something worthwhile, or someone releases a fully custom OS/firmware, there's no point to upgrade to this yet.
Best part was all those redditors and people here saying that SigHax/B9S wouldn't allow for custom OS at all getting BTFO'd.

I haven't fallen for the meme yet myself, I just collected the files for those that want to dive in. Personally I'm going to stick with A9LH for a few weeks until the kinks get worked out. What I did do was update to what is now going to be the last version of luma for a while (7.0.5) I also made sure my HBL, freeshop, and fbi installations were up to date in case I want to sysupdate later. I'm hoping for better emulator support.

I keep trying to update luma but the extraction keeps failing because it couldn't find the arm9loaderhax.bin. Should I be worried?

Is your 3DS' wireless off?

see

7.0.5 of luma is the last compatible release for A9LH, you cannot use the luma updater program as it's configured for the new 7.1 update now

github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v7.0.5
To update Luma to 7.0.5 grab the 7z and replace your arm9loaderhax.bin on your SD card

jesus fucking christ could they jump the gun any harder?
At least a9lh was a steady switch, something's fishy about this.

Devs like to force refactors on everyone when they think it's more efficient.

So, how long until 3DS is oficially dead and they stop pretending Switch isn't the successor?

At the moment it looks like we're going to get support through 2018.

When it's actually possible to buy a switch at normal prices.

Why though? Glad I updated a few days ago so I can avoid this nonsense.

It's not fishy, it's that the main devs (apart from Smea and Yellows8 who aren't on the "hip" circuit) circlejerk in IRC/Discord and organise their releases.
Aurora is actually psychotic and has others do a fair amount of the work.
Derrek is a kike and hoards all his work and never shares unless someone else shares something similar, then he goes "Mine's better!!". He did this with SigHax and SafeHax.
Plailect is an underage dickhead who just parrots what he hears from the others. Hence why his guide had to be dumbed down by others constantly so the normal user would understand it, and he didn't know how to dumb it down.

It's got support till 2018.
What that means is they'll release the final games they've got in development, then drop it.
Switch is not the successor. They're either going to release a Switch Mini or a new proper portable.

Japan wants a smaller Switch to fit on trains/in small apartments, and they'll happily do it, as Japan is their main market.

that makes it even more fishy user

Everyone who says this is stupid and wrong.

Eh, more like they're just organising it so they're not out of the loop and Luma/the guide/entrypoints are outdated causing confusion and bricks.
Still, they're all attentionwhores. Most constantly ask for donations and Plailect asks for both donations and fucking references for his uni application.

Nintendo will launch either a new handheld or a mini Switch.
They dropped the Wii U to make the Switch, but are continuing the 3DS. If they wanted to replace the 3DS, they'd drop support for it sooner, or have done so already, and chucked on a Pokemon/MonHun to sell.

The latter is probably going to happen, but that won't be an entirely distinct console any more than a 3DSXL is to a 3DS. They've already announced Pokemon and MonHun for the switch. It's the console, nintendo isn't going to divide their resources anymore.

A more portable version of the Switch is the most likely. The current Switch is too big for the Japanese handheld market, so they'll need to address that.

The best possible solution, that they definitely won't do as it's a good idea, would be to make a Switch tablet about 1/2-3/4 the size of the current one, make it more powerful that the N3DS, and have extra hardware in the dock.

I don't suppose they can make one without the joy-cons. Those seem to be the biggest thing that prevents it from being truly portable.

You know what? Fuck me for even typing that. They're removable controllers. Their marketing can suck my dick.

Yeah I noticed the joy con thing really caught on. Moreso than the Wiimote.

The problem is if they make the height of the console different, they'd have to sell new controllers, which will piss people off.
The best solution is to have built in controllers for the small version as handhelds aren't for multiplayer anyways. If they do that, however, they'd have to cut out some features. Rumble, infrared, bluetooth etc, but that's fine for a handheld. This would cut down size, weight and price effectively. Maybe get rid of the + and - buttons on the controllers.

Nah it's perfect right now.

No, it's not. The controllers are too flimsy for it to be truly portable and it's too large to slip into a pocket, which was a major drawback of the vita.

Much too big.
Needs to be smaller to work as a handheld.
The true test of a handheld's size, for me, is if I can lie on my side in bed and operate it. The Switch is much too long for this, and your elbows have to bend outwards, which wouldn't work on a train/bus.

Which, for the unaware, is the primary location a japanese handheld will be played.

how do you even brick by going from a9lh to boot9strap?

The IRC guy bricked by going from A9LH to sighax. Thus far boot9strap is effectively a downgrade as it takes longer to start up than A9LH and offers no actual benefit over A9LH itself, seeing as A9LH itself is permanent and there's no true CFW features such as an increased title limit to be gained from boot9strap.

I haven't been paying attention to the 3ds scene in months. I'm on 11.3.0-36U
What's been happening?

How'd Freeshop die?
If I update luma to 7.0.5, would it be safe to update?
What is boot9strap in simple terms? and something about a9lh being flawed?

no bully plz

DMC'd because it used the official bootlogo code. Project was forked without the logo, now immune from that line of attack.

As for the other shit, nobody fucking knows, it's a madhouse.

DMCA'd as the other guy mentioned, then later on the main branch of it will no longer be updated because its coder got busted for CP.

It's always safe to update with Luma from the system settings menu.

Using the system's bootrom- ie, writing directly to the firmware- to load the A9LH payload, and thus Luma.

Haven't heard about that. Probably already the memespouting about A9LH's "obsolescence" starting in mere minutes after boot9strap is released.

Boot9strap is the next big new thing. But it's not big, because it doesn't offer anything (right now) that al9h doesn't already. It's practically a forced upgrade, as all future updates for luma will only be for boot9strap.

I'd suggest waiting a month or two for those faggot devs to work out any kinks. And maybe by that time, b9s will have something worth upgrading for.

I'd update in a heartbeat if those fucks would get a decent browser or video player so I can watch 3d vids

I'm being nagged to update my games but Freeshop doesn't have any option to update them. What should I do, as I can't access the eshop to update the games?

Ignore 'em or see if there's update cias on 3DSiso and the like.

You're right, it's a conspiracy. I just wonder what they plan to do with this power.

If you're running cfw you can just download updates on the home screen, unless it's out of region.

should've guessed it

i forgot how this works again. if i downloaded the dlc from freeshop and i have a legit copy of the game, updates should only be downloaded from freeshop too right?

i think i fucked up my swapdoodle with downloading the dlc from freeshop and then downloading the update from nintendo eshop. cant receive any drawings

I re-downloaded Blaster Master Zero from the freeshop, and the DLC characters from within the game itself, since the freeshop fucked off as one of the characters isn't available until next month, so the download kept halting. I've also updated some shit outside of the freeshop. As has been said before, what you get from the freeshop, provided it's in your region, is fully YOURS as far as N is concerned.

Why do my smash characters keep disappearing
It only takes like 3 minutes but I still don't like having to redownload the dlc every time I want to play it

are you opening eshop?

So if I haven't played my 3DS in like 6 months, am on a9LH with Luma..what the fuck am I going to do if I feel like updating some?

I just want Blaster Master Zero and if I can't upgrade my luma stuff, I'm in a bit of a bind.

All that fucking drama over getting a9lh to work..and now this..

I think it's guessing the percentage of male/female aspects. 99% female features.

Opening eShop kills DLC.

Don't bother with this latest meme, B9S. It's complete shit that adds nothing yet.
Wait a few months until someone makes their own custom firmware that actually does something.
You can still update Luma to the latest, but you won't be able to get any of the builds made in the future. That's a non-issue, as Luma hasn't added anything the end used truly needs for a while.

WHY

Well that makes absolutely no sense.

Updating manually is literally drag/dropping a file to the SD card, or using a FTP application.

It's one of the few legality checks the eShop does.
In basic terms, this is how it works:
Everything on the eShop is assumed to be available retail, even if it's Digital Only.
It checks your installed titles and notices something called "FBI".
It checks your installed titles and notices Super Smash Bros.
It doesn't leave a mark against your account or anything, it's all automated.
Just reinstall through Freeshop or FBI and all saves/data etc will still be there.

Which file do I drag and drop? I'm an a9 reject so I can't get 7.1

Should I be able to get 7.0.5 or whatever? It's been a while and all the old guides are now "LOL GET BOOT FIRM"

This follow the new guide: 3ds.guide/updating-to-boot9strap

This will only takes about five minutes to do and update to Luma 7.10 and updater 2.0. Also make sure the boot firm is on the root of the sd card.

Thanks for the guide.

Will this still keep my 3DS booting fast/with my a9lh functionalities despite getting rid of it?

bootstrap9 system should boot as fast as a9lh or sightly faster then a9lh. Also you can also now dump your bootroms also.

This fucking update shit is fucking annoying.

I still have 7.0.5 on my 3DS. Is it likely that I'll NEED to update this shit manually to play games later on?

Updating to bootstrap9 only takes about 5 min with the right reading comprehension and using the right guide.

7.0.5, just replace the .bin file for A9LH like you did before.

4s slower than A9LH :^)

You will NEVER need to move beyond A9LH to play games.
Hell, I still manage with an EmuNAND out of pure sloth.

B9S will only ever be needed in a few months IF, and only IF, someone makes truly custom firmware. Until then, there's literally 0 reason to upgrade.

Well, I've followed instructions and now my system doesn't start.

Bricked console. Guess I'm done with my 3DS…

Did you put the boot firm at the root of the sd card?

Oh shit how bad is that exactly?

And tbh I have all the necessary stuff for cfw but.
What does luma even do? Is it for having games work on a 3ds or something? Is it vital that i get 7.0.5?

I don't have an SD card slot on my toaster, so I have to use a USB card reader that isn't in the best of shape.

That said, if I don't need to keep updating to pirate newer games than it's not a problem.

A9LH lets you patch over the normal firmware with Luma before the base firmware is fully loaded.
Luma is just a bunch of patches that make things like unsigned titles possible. I don't know why everyone swapped over to Luma with such glee. I dislike it, I dislike the devs and I dislike the dicksucking around it.
RxTools was just fine for me and I'm sure it could of been fixed for 11.3.

I haven't even read the changelog for 7.0.5, but I can bet it's nothing of value.
Every CFW we've had up until this point is pretty much the same. Only thing Luma really adds that's useful is region-swapping, which was already possible, and pretty much useless as you can already play out of region cartridges.

Wait wait wait wait.

So we are abandoning A9LH?

Do we need to do this? Can i just leave my 11.3 3ds the way it is?

No, read literally every post since that one.
B9S is a meme that adds nothing of value to general users, and we won't see any true developments from the devs for some time.
Only get this if you're a redditor trying to appear with the times a faggot who needs to be on THE BLEEDING EDGE of technology.

And I'll keep saying it, EmuNAND is still the best way to hack a console.

Yes. Imagine was MMO.
But it was so good, that when it closed down users build private servers themselves.

A9LH is getting abandon, which is similar to how in the psp scene when moving from m33 to pro then infinity. The move isn't the biggest but it's good to stay current and makes certain things in the future easier.

Also if you have Luma, you can update your 3ds to the latest version without issue.

I stayed on menuhax and held off from installing a9lh due to the whole downgrade stuff. Today i decided to install b9s and was pleasantly surprised at how quick it was. Took me 30 minutes all in all, starting from nothing and having it installed on my 3ds…

Also dumped the bootroms, otp and generated the console unique keys. Perhaps they'll come in handy later on.

So if Luma's up to date, you're clear to update your console to the latest Nintendo update?

Yes.
Any version of Luma will always allow you to update to Nintendo's latest firmware.

Luma was a continuation of Reinand which was a N3DS firmware; it started life as AuReinand, a modified build to support O3DS as well as N3DS. Went to Luma3DS from there and eventually it quite gleefully hopped onto the A9LH train, eventually being the only CFW that would really support it and so becoming the cornerstone of the 3DS scene in general. There's a lot of cocksucking around it because it's the only CFW to my knowledge that's still regularly or semi-regularly updated, as well as because of its ease of use. I miss RxTools and the roughshod pioneer days of this whole business in general. None of that shit was as hard to use as A9LH mouthbreathers said it was and now they don't know what to do since they've been left in the dust, or they're gleefully hopping to and bricking themselves with B9S.

Hello my dudes
I'm trying to find the fire emblem games with dlc but all the links are taken down.
Are there nay sites besides 3dsiso or is that it?

Also why is luma not updating?

Read the thread.
Actually, just scroll up.

>FreeShop (discontinued): freeshop.pw/
Wait, what?! I haven't used my 3DS in a couple of months. What happened?

Both that and the alternative link posted are still useable, Cruel got busted for CP so the mainline version won't be updated.

If you have an NA/EU 3DS it's still useful since some of the newer titles like Zelda Musou for whatever reason change language depending on the hardware region - i.e. even if you pirated Zelda Musou using a .cia ripped from a JP copy, it would play in English if you were running it on an NA/EU 3DS.

Being good by MMO standards isn't exactly a high bar though.

Long story short, dev got jailed. Program itself still works fine, but no new functionality will be coming. There's a fanmade fork that will be getting updated theoretically.

For fuck's sake, of all the things to get vanned for…

Okay, so Freeshop still works but I'm not seeing any new stuff like the latest Fire Emblem game. I take it the alternative is faster when it comes to updating the list? Also, Luma won't update. At 7.0 and it claims to be missing some file or whatever. Strange. Didn't have that problem last time.

Are you on the forked version? That got updated to 3.1.0 and just got the english version of Echoes like two hours ago.

I'm not opening eshop, it just randomly decides that I can't access shit sometimes when I open the game

There is a new titlekey website now, as well. It was a separate issue. The guy that owned the domain didn't renew it. The new one is .gq (it's in the OP), so you need to update the freeshop app AND update the site it is pulling the titlekeys from.

what in the fuck is sighax and why should I risk a brick every time I write to nand just to update it

Damn, I don't see it. And I'm on 3.1.0

How am I supposed to update to b9s if I have hourglass instead of godmode?

Ah fucking shit I am dumb as fuck. Bully permission given.

How do I update luma manually, it's been too long

If you update to b9s, it will update it to the latest luma. I'm trying to figure out how to change hourglass to godmode so I can update. But, it looks like I don't need to. The guide is such shit as to explaining why you are doing what you are doing.

Who the fuck knows what half the stuff is they installed, or how it works? It's worse than XDA.

Quote from the update guide:
Mother fucker, I have a ton of shit installed, is there any other program I should already have installed? Or a program not installed?

GODDAMN IT PLAILECT

His guide is shit and is the reason most anons ask their retarded questions!

For what purpose

Do shit overnight.

That was clearly not the part I was confused about

why am I so retarded, this was so quick

Hourglass9 is meant to protect your 3ds from yourself. Godmode9 can fuck you up if you don't know what you're doing. b9s risks you fucking up your 3ds every time you want to update to a new version of luma due to how it writes to FIRM now. I bit the bullet for a9lh because I wanted a permanent safety net without the bullshit that was menuhax. This new thing doesn't have any useful benefits.
Aurora and Plai a shit for forcing this meme on endusers.

Still want to fall for this meme user? Here github.com/d0k3/GodMode9

Why the fuck is it called GodMode? That's not descriptive at all, unlike the majority of the other names.

No, I don't. I like how hourglass is stupid proof. I don't like how every god damn dev is jacking off to the .firm whatever and completely abandoning a working hax. I absolutely foresee all those faggot devs going for the .firm meme, and leaving all the happy hackers behind. It shouldn't even be called luma anymore if it's not going to work on old versions.

Do not touch this. It is off the poo in loos.

That's not actually true. Bull9shit reads the luma firm from SD. It's still a pointless meme though.

Just downloaded the Echoes DLC off the freeshop, got to 100% but now it says suspended. This happen to anyone else?

Doh fug, I hacked my 3ds last summer and haven't really been following the latest hax, is there anything I should worry about with boot9strap that's mentioned in the guide if I already have arm9loaderhax working fine?

manually update to github.com/AuroraWright/Luma3DS/releases/tag/v7.0.5 and never touch luma updater again

That's been on for like a month now. Just for some reason it's labeled as "Shadow of Valencia" instead of "The Other Hero King."

I thought it would've been fixed by now, but maybe not. It happens because the game has DLC in the list that you "own" because of someone uploading the titlekey for the pass that gets you all the DLC, but some of it isn't actually out yet. If you download the files in game one by one and just avoid the ones that aren't actually out yet, you'll be fine.

Thanks user, that got it working.

I still have emunand from Gateway installed on my second 3DS. The reason is out of fear. I'm afraid of using the standard procedure to install Luma and shit but the modifications done with Gateway would fuck this process up and brick my device.

I have both a O3DS and N3DS with CFW. Is still worth hanging onto Cubic Ninja in case one them breaks and need install CFW on a replacement?

I also still have a Gateway card.

You swap out the Hourglass9.bin for the GodMode.bin, I'd imagine.

Because the dev that forked it has no fucking clue what he's doing.
Sleep feature was made by someone else for Cruel's FreeShop and never merged.

All he's doing is some GUI shit and adding extra keyboards, because I heard so many people complaining that they couldn't use Chinese or AZERTY keyboards.

GodMode9 has more bleeding edge features. Only devs use it.

Brahma is A9LH :^)

If your SysNAND is under 11.4, just remove the Gateway shit. Nothing it had should be permanent. Made a NAND backup and clone your SD so you don't lose everything from your EmuNAND partition, though.

Don't think that's been updated for months. Might work on 11.1/2, but I don't recall seeing updates for 11.3/4.
Burn it to death.

Gateway was all we had in the early days of 3DS hacking so thats why i have one.
And unlike Cubic ninja i cant really trade in that Gateway card at the nearest game shop so i might is well hold onto it just in case.

There's other ways to brick if you're so intent on it

Your story reminds me of the method Nintendo advised people to fix their Wii remotes when the motion tracker wasn't functioning properly. I remember reading a story on 4chan a couple of years back, where the guy called Nintendo to ask how it can be fixed, and the person on the phone told him to face it down and drop it on the floor. IIRC, one of the old Apple computers told you to just hold the computer a few inches over your desk and drop it down in the manual, in order to fix whatever was causing problems.

Is 3dsISO down? If so where to games?

3dschaos. I'd tell you to lurk moar but honestly I think most of Holla Forums and /scurv/ forgot about the site.

My Apple II mentioned this.
Every single problem was solved by young me dropping it a few cm onto the desk.
Now, my poor G3 and Mac Mini did not fare so well with the old mini-drop, and needed repairs.

Seems that way. Use Freeshop.
If it's not there, try ChaosGamez.com
Check pastebin in OP for an account. (It's the 3DSchaos one)

Great to know I wasn't just imagining this.

Okay so let me get this straight before I ask my question
Am I right? That's pretty dumb.

Dumb but necessary. B9S trumps A9L in every way.

Everything I'm reading in this thread suggests that isn't the case at all.

It has greater "potential" (Whatever the Hell that means). That's the reason why I drop out of the homebrew scene for months at a time.

Trumps it in what?
Booting slower?
Bricking more systems?

There's literally no advantage to it

I presume the logic goes something like this

Actually most of the bricks are coming from people using sighax.com by Derrek, while bootstrap9 bricks arent really bricks most of the time, it's mostly people forgetting to put the boot.firm at the root of the sd card.

Haven't experience slower boot up times on my n3ds xl using bootstrap9 compared to a9lh.

So there's still absolutely no benefit

Other then Luma updates and title limit remover being easier to do, nothing that much. Also bootroms can be dumped for future usage.

Nigga, we need a home menu mod to bypass the title limit, and a9lh was enough access for that.

When I go to download the FE Echoes dlc, separately as suggested, I get an error and the list of downloadables gets removed

Is this because I ignorantly downloaded the free DLC beforehand?

What's the U/p for 3dschaos

(me)
yeah it seems like it

Is there a way to install the DLC as .cias or something?

So is boot9strap going to be an issue if I'm hacking a N3DS for the first time?

3DSiso is back up, they go offline for a bit pretty frequently.

no__

I installed the Sm4sh DLC through cias, you just have to find it in that format.

Great, thanks pally

So I'm playing the Fire Emblem Echoes undub version (that is supposed to be US region) and when I try the NTR cheats, even though it opens the menu no issues, the cheats don't seem to work.

Anybody knows what's going on?

Didn't mod my 3DS yet cause there wasn't anything I wanted to play, that I didn't already own.

However since I've learning Japanese for a year now I'm interested in jap 3DS games.

Are these easily available online?

You can download stuff from any region via the Freeshop; you may just need to specify which regions you want to see in the filter settings.

Cool I guess I'll try to set it up this weekend if I have enough time to spare.

I don't get it

WHAT THE FUCKING SHIT, I JUST BOUGHT AN R4 JUST FOR THIS GAME

Don't worry, if AtlusUSA won't translate Etrian Odyssey 5, They won't translate Radiant Historia.

FreeShop has 'em, just filter out all the non-Japanese shit. Be careful though, if your base machine is a foreign machine, some of Nintendo's newer first party shit like Zelda Musou will forcibly change to English for some reason.

Which can be solved by using Luma's built-in Locale Changer.

Oh, okay, that's good to hear.

Would you really want to play a censorednese version anyway?

Ah, didn't know about that, since I have a JP 3DS to begin with. Good to know though.

That's not the reason EOV hasn't been brought over, it's about voice actors, of which EOV had fuck tons of selectable ones. Radiant Historia already has a full translation (bar the new content).

Ban-wave going out. gbatemp.net/threads/regarding-the-recent-3ds-banwave.471781/

I'm wondering if they're finally able to look at title history or logging it. Maybe they can see freeshop, FBI, etc usage.

That'd be hysterical in its own way just now that Plailect and all the rest are shitting themselves about B9S being da fyoochur and suddenly Nintendo finally gets its shit together on the anti-piracy front.

Freeshop shows up in Streetpass profiles.

See that's why they should use title as a front for these applications.

Looks like the ban doesn't stop eshop access. Weird ban. "Stops" online play, though. But then, if you have CFW, you can unban yourself. I wonder how the MHXX thread is doing…

Well if you banned eshop access too then there's no way Nintendo can make any more shekels off of you.

I've read that real time clock isn't in the native GBA VC emulator, is there any emulators that have RTC or will I have to find a patch and inject it myself?

I'm getting rumblings that the newest versions of freeshop are the cause of this ban wave, something about the new dev having the program completely visible to Nintendo unlike old versions. I don't know how bullshit it is but If you you're using a version of freeshop from after the fork you are already dead and if you haven't used it yet you're safe. Go into System settings> internet settings > spotpass and disable the sharing of info with Nintendo as well while you're at it along with the other option there

what? can you explain. your post is confusing as fuck. is the original freeshop compromised or the fork is?

He's suggesting that the new fork of freeshop is compromised. Which is probably bullshit.

The fork, but maybe it's bullshit.

I have never installed freeshop so if I get banned it's bull

I don't know what a fork is I only downloaded freeshop one time and never even knew there were updates to the program, however I am banned on my system
though it's not like unbanning it is hard

how the fugg do i get rid of this update nag?

yeah i read the thread from gbatemp, seems nintendo bans everyone who uses freeshop

Hm, doesn't really bother me, then, since I never do anything online, and most of the 3DS library is complete shit. Sucks for anyone who is capable of enjoying playing more games than the three I haven't sent to the hell of binary deletion.

So wait is this what the ban will do to us?
Simply not let us play online.
I mean who the fuck plays online on the 3DS outside of monster hunter?

Update.

The gbatemp thread is moving fast, and the bans are rolling in. Give it a few days, and it will be figured out. In the mean time, freeshop still works, homebrew still works. Hell, just about everything still works. And whatever nintendo breaks, I have faith that gbatemp will fix.

Here's to a future private nintendo server!!!

There's also pokemon, smash, and animal crossing I guess.

Now there are reports that un-hacked systems are getting slapped. I suspect this will become rather amusing if true.

It's the pokemon S/M ban wave all over again

Did those legitimate customers ever get unbanned or were they fucked in the ass because of jewish retailers?

Never unbanned. Nintendo wouldn't even accept them sending in receipts for the game purchased before street date.

That's a one way ticket to pirate-ville, matey! How stupid is nintendo? I already know the answer

It's a shame I don't like most of the N64 or SNES library (beyond games that are a bitch to run on the Everdrive, specifically), or I'd buy more flash carts out of spite. Yeah, I know about SD2SNES being the superior option, but I don't $200-love the SNES. I really only got the 3DS to play Blaster Master, and it wasn't bad until THE LAST FUCKING LEVEL, where everything hits almost the whole fucking screen with every attack, and does a shitload of damage on any hit.

Nigga, you are in the wrong thread.

Those fuckers at GBAtemp and reddit with their memesurveys they don't release are really shitting me.

I wonder if having access to the bootrom would enable us to generate our own console identifiers. They have to be generated from somewhere, and it's most likely on-system.

I'm complaining about it not being worth the money to intentionally fuck Nintendo out of their shekels, and I say this as a person who V2C47'd an entire county out of spite.

The results link was posted in one of the pages of the thread, I'm too lazy to find it.

Come on, where's your /cyber/ spirit, user?
The risk only makes it better when it works

are you retarded?

I can see the headlines

I quickly realized my retardation and deleted my post

I still don't get why it's such a pain in the ass to get DS games working

TWLoader will probably never be as good as a flash cart. You should get one before they are outlawed in your country.

When looking early on last night, it appeared to be a lot of B9S users being banned, is it possible that's the cause? Or are A9LH users also getting banned? I'm not gonna sift through 50 pages to find out.

It's affecting both A9LH and Bull9Shit users. Current flavor of the minute speculation is suggesting that the cause is leaving spotpass on while using cfw but of course I can't confirm any of this because we don't have enough evidence.

Alright. I went on my N3DS to confirm it wasn't banned and thankfully it wasn't. Having another peek in the thread suggests what you said, so I'll do that just to be safe should the current theory hold true. Just as a precaution and so I have a plan B; my O3DS holds the same friend code as my N3DS. From what I can tell, just formatting my O3DS can solve the issue, but I'm not sure if it solves the possibility of both of them being banned as it seems to be based on LCFS. Would formatting my O3DS before getting banned generate a new LCFS?

No clue but
this may help for those that did get banned archive.fo/Iwp6t

Who the fuck plays games online at all outside of Monster Hunter?

see

What did he mean by this?

Fuck you.

docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScGKO2C90xqkBOU2N3Q-nf9corv0RzQxOzXLbbZ3CH4mfVqYQ/viewanalytics

How do I easily tell if I've been banned

Go to the friends list.

30-102 pages of GBAtemps seems to confirm this.
Seems interesting as the MHXX thread is now near silent Not like it was hive of activity anyway

So I upgraded my ancient RXtools emuNAND to luma or whatever the fuck following the 3ds.guide for 3 hours did. Now how do I install games? Do I use my old title manager app? Or the FBI app it made me install?

Also is it actually important to delete everything like pic related says? There's a lot of shit from back when I used Rxtools but I don't want to risk breaking something if there's no point in doing that in the first place.

Use FBI to install freeshop. It can install via qr code(remote install), or from the titledb. FBI is not user friendly (like most homebrew), but once you use it once, it's pretty easy.

If the guide tells you to do something…

FUCKING DO IT

Thanks. I'm not entirely sure what Freeshop is, but isn't it just used to install vanilla versions of games that you just find on eshop? I want to play undubbed Fire emblem.
Also due to recent events don't I risk getting banned if I use it?

Actually nevermind, I think that's what you meant by remote install.

You won't get banned for freeshop usage. We don't know why people are getting banned. The fact that you have CFW probably increases your odds of getting banned.

Calm down, it's not the end of the world. It'll take a week or so for the 3DS hivemind to figure it out. If you don't use online (looks like you don't) then it really doesn't matter to you, anyways.

That's the part of the guide where you're completely done, right? In that case, of course not. The guide is just telling people to delete shit they wont need in order to reduce clutter and used space.

I do not know what to fucking do.

I have to update to check my friends list.
I need to update luma, but I forget how to do it manually.

Nevermind, I read the thread

That's suspicious, all updates take a while.
Doesn't seem I'm banned though.

Are you enjoying your STABILITY?