Just too damned scared

So, awhile ago I got Doom 3 on the PC. I remember playing when it came out on my Xbox a long time ago. I think I finished the game on the Xbox. Now I modded the current Doom 3 with much better visuals and gameplay.

My problem is, I'm way too fucking scared to go on with playing the game. I just can't get past the next door without my heart jumping out. I don't even know how I beat the game on the Xbox. Does anyone else have this problem?

Inb4 doom 3 not being a real doom. I get it, moving on.

Other urls found in this thread:

fear.wikia.com/wiki/F.E.A.R._Wiki
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This is bait. Reported.

No way, dude. It's legitimate.

The fear goes away after you die several times, then respawn and keep on playing. What you see in the monitor isn't going to jump out at you and claw your face off. You just gotta learn to dissociate fantasy from real-life you fucking pussy.

If you're scared of a game then real life is going to fuck your heart into dust.

Not being a faggot is your first goal.

I know there were a number of changes from the PC version of Doom 3 and the Xbox 1 version.

Since the Xbox version was most likely to be played in living rooms with more light during the day, and since televisions in that era were only starting the shift away from CRT to LCD, the developers made it a lot brighter.

Good call on getting mods for it, though. I've played it that way, too, and it's amazing some of the stuff modders have done to it.

Look at the time. It's bully 'o clock.

Ah yes, I remember when I was scared of the xenomorphs, now I just want to yiff them all.

This isn't adding up

The scare wears away after a few levels, and I tell you what else takes away the fear of these games; when you no longer fear death.

The fact that you can die and respawn becomes just an inconvenience after a while - that, and it suffers from dead space effect, where any perceivable threat can be dealt with by efficient/very powerful hardware, especially in the late game stages.

It's still a neat horror game with a nifty atmosphere and some nice horror elements, but after a while (UAC HQ I think) that feeling of being scared all the time will wear off, and you'll start feeling that the demons of hell aren't enough :^) Also make sure that you're always looking behind you. I can't emphasise that enough. Oh, and expect the lights to go off at SOME POINT. They almost always will.

Which mod did you install, user? I know there are several HAD mods that like really nice, but I want to know the best one.

FEAR spooped me.
Playing the expansions now.
Up to the subway in EP, and that fucking sequence in the vents scared me a fair bit. I have to keep autosaving and quitting after 15 minutes of play, else I get spooped a bit too much.

Honestly, horror doesn't concern me, but sudden flashes and having random shit happen around me spooks me hardcore.
I enjoyed Dead Space, even 3. They spooped you in a good way, as you could kind of tell which areas were safe, and if you saw a vent, you'd keep an eye on it for enemies.

The FEAR expansion packs are awesome.

And yeah, FEAR really exploited the whole "The Ring" aesthetic of a terrifying and edgy girl very well.

FEAR was the first game that I actually agreed with the antagonist, alma deserved her revenge.

It wasn't really revenge.
That was more instinct telling her to kill her captors, and it was done really sloppily and strangely, hence why she sometimes hindered Point Man and othertimes helped him.

I think at the end of FEAR the guy who created the project, whose name eludes me, says she's just a monster, not a girl or human anymore.

>fear.wikia.com/wiki/F.E.A.R._Wiki
I'd give that a read since you may have forgot/missed some of the finer points of Alma's story.

I'm not surprised, she'd been dead for a long time in the first game.

Too bad the shuffling of developers and the goddamn retardation when Warner Kikes got it means we got several expansion packs being declared non-canon and a Trilogy that rivals Mass Effect in being everywhere with it's overall theme being what exactly? Alma is a bitch, the rape shit with FEAR 2 and FEAR 3 being dogshite that destroyed FEAR 2's story pretty much killed it for me.

Did you say FEAR?

JUST

She's more like a spooky skeleton at that stage. Or Michael Jackson.

Isnt she like 16 then? Loli in the first and teenager in the second

No, the loli was just her mental projection. She was a skeleteen already in FEAR 1 - remember when Harland releases her from the containment, she is just as spooky-skeletal, and already grown up. Her mind never grew up, but the body did, or she wouldn't be able to give birth to Fettel and Pointman.

How? The only actually spuky parts were in the shittier of the two expansions when there were those inhuman enemies in the undercity.

So if I got this right the loli is a projection that can kill you and you actually release her physical form at the end of 1 right?

Yes, pretty much. Alma is the perfect empath and telepath, as well as telekinetic. My assumption that even her physical form is sustained purely by her telekinesis. Alma died many years ago when they cut life support to her containment system, but that apparently didn't kill her mental projection.

I actually enjoy listening to the audiologs in the game, and always stop in every office and cubicle that has unanswered voice messages.

Train your resistance by playing first something less scary and less photorealistic, like Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. Playing as something less squishy than a mere human also helps.

It depends on the person, some people are more susceptible to it. Pretty much everyone I know who's played fear have always said they jumped at the same points, especially the plank to the face at the start.

Play music in the background and perhaps turn the game's volume down, problem solved.

Two things, fag.
1) OP can't inb4
2) I think the bigger issue is that you're a fucking pussy. Get gud at demon slaying and lose your fear of death. It's only vidya.

Just remember that there is already a skeleton inside you.

I got scared shitless the first time i saw this thing in doom 3.

I ended up trying to run away from it while shooting at it. I fucking killed it with 2 shotgun blasts. I thought maybe it's playing dead or something. Nope. Its fucking dead. Doom 3 is not scary. Rave holm from hl2 is more scary.

What difficulty were you playing on? I seem to remember those things being a little tougher than that, unless you were using the double-barrel shotgun in the Erection of Evil expansion.

I was playing on medium difficulty or something, i guess it was double barrel. I was going to buy the game but my brother wouldn't let me and i was underage, so i pirated the game a couple of years later when I remembered i wanted to play it.

I don't know, I don't really think jumpscares are that scary. I mean, I don't think they are an unpardonable sin and I am startled by them, but I was too busy being an adrenaline overclocked super soldier to actually be scared by anything.
Oh the only other segment that actually filled me with an emotion that wasn't glee was the ending of the first game when the facility explodes several blocks away and you're completely overwhelmed by the shockwave and you can't even walk to the areas that resemble cover as cars and the wall of debris approaches you.
One of the few times a game really made me feel that mortal dread.

It gets everyone.

A better question would be, are there any mods that make Doom 3 more like the older games?

I don't know, but I doubt it.

The map design in Doom 3 was 100% oriented around spoops, scripted jumpscares, and survival horror stuff. They're full of cramped hallways and dark rooms that cannot be quickly navigated. The "circle strafe until all enemies are dead" DooM style gameplay wouldn't really work.

Classic Doom 3.
Also, the Resurrection of Evil expansion is based more on combat than spooks. It's also a "click to win" trainwreck as soon as you get THE ARTIFACT.

Doom 3 was such a pile of dogshit.

probably some /monster/ fetish bullshit.

I'm a giant pussy when it comes to horror games where I can't fight back, like amnesia for example but after I while I got used to the dumbass AI and just continued on you got guns mane just steel your balls and go ahead

Man i would love to see a new blade movie.

wesley snipes got arrested or something after filming.

she alter'd her form so she looked more voluptuous to seduce Becket.

Stop user, my boner is going crazy.

he decided he didn't want to pay taxes anymore, turns out that isn't a great idea

Doom 3 is only "scary" if you let the bombardment of jump scares get to you. If you build up a resistance to it, it's actually a very amusing game. I used to replay it once a year from when it came out. I incidentally stopped playing it just before all the good mods for it came out. By then I had gotten my fill and went back to playing classic doom, just right around the time the next generation of mods were coming out.

Fun things to do:
The chapters before the hell outbreak were fun just for doing that.
That first imp that shows up gets a face full of shotgun harder than any imp will. It's like the game is just daring you to blow him away with a single blast.
I wish I liked the expansion enough like some people did but I'm not sure why I didn't. But really though, Doom 3 is a game that should be used as therapy for people who are too scared of horror action. It's just too silly to take seriously and get spooked in. The way the enemies ragdoll before disintegrating never gets old.

we need a doom thread

Wait 5 more years. Maybe your balls will have dropped by then, you fucking pussy.

The first time I played Doom 3 these guys caused me to nope the fuck through the whole level. And I mean the whole level, right through every jump scare I fucking ran in panic mode. Then i got in a shootout with a couple imps and some zombies, and died when I botched a dodge from a fireball.

You clearly haven't played it in VR.

Doom 3 is only scary when everything happens. Afterwards, it just becomes sluggish.

since im fully aware that its just a game and not on edge, its easier to startle me with jump scares.

You should've inb4'd "the game isn't scary you sissy pussy dumbass" as well, because it isn't, and you're a dumb fuck.

suicide is the only answer

He made the mistake of paying someone to do his taxes for him, and that someone decided to just not do them after awhile.