Word of mouth starting to spread for The Surge

I can't be the only one who wanted a sci-fi souls style game but was extremely wary after the 4/10 that was Lords of the Fallen.

But by all accounts from the none crooked/socjus people i know and sites i visit its being described more as "the dead space 2 of dark souls" which is opposite day as fuck considering the developers last work. But also hearing it described as "if brink followed through on its premise".

Anyone managed to try one of the copies released early? i'm hearing its more bloodborne meets dead space than lords of the fallens dark souls with a blizzard art style.

Naturally i remain sceptical but if they learnt their lesson and made something good it seems like a setting i would be interested in.

Other urls found in this thread:

extra.to/torrent/5637552/The Surge-CODEX.html
archive.fo/86AmJ
twitch.tv/videos/144223702
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm waiting for people to start reporting that it's unoptimised garbage or buggy out the ass.
If all's clear, I might wait for DLC announcements while I try a pirate for a week or two, see if it's worth more than a single playthrough.

It was at very least better than Dark Souls 2 (which i would rate 2/10 by your standarts). Atmosphere and graphically wise.

After finding out that nier automata is absolutely not worth full price, this is certainly the next game I'll give a chance to.

Yeah the bugs are always the second point to check with modern games.

Remember when you could buy a game and not expect "eh, we might patch it" pre alpha tier buggy shit as a possibility?

confirmed for not getting all 26 endings.

I got bored after an hour, tbh. It's just boring button mashing aRPG

Looks enjoyable, I'll probably give it a buy because Focus Home frogs are alright.

Whats with all the cuckchan bait today? Are the hotpockets there more trigger happy than usual?

Forget the endings, I'm bored and unimpressed 6 hours in. Not enough to say it's bad, but fuck if you think I'm going to pay 60 yurobucks for this.

Play more fag.
Failing that, at least lurk more.
Serves you right for living in Cuckistan.

How do you do it?
Goddamn

Is that you Holla Forums?

it looks like shit the surge, exactly like lords of the fallen in how the part they show you looks "o.k" but there's always tells with these kinda things and the first boss you fight is one of them

I saw this on steam when I was looking for the price of The Ship, what is it about?

You do know that Halfchan tends to send undesirables to us, do you? This is why we got a board to each banished Holla Forums operation and for each sodomite typefucking population of some /vg/ general here.

the ship is a deathmatch where you get a certain target to kill and someone to kill you, it's fun as fuck if there's tons of people

Techno-Horror Soulslike game. You're a dude in an exoskeleton which you get to upgrade with the parts you cut off of other dudes in exoskeletons.

The setting is in this big company facility and the big insinuation is that this company were using a buncha leftypol buzzwords and platitudes in their propaganda and then everything went to shit.

Supposedly won't have Denuvo according to the steam forums.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm not forking over 50 dollarydoos on day one for it. Might be worth a pirate down the line. Looks neat at least, and good on the devs for getting out review codes as early as possible, and putting up lots of gameplay footage.

I didn't even hear of this game 'till today, but it looks interesting enough that I'll give it a pirate.

The setting and the gameplay I've seen have me ready to pirate this once it's available and probably pick it up legit on sale if I ever actually have money.

The limb cutting and aesthetic are amazing.

I recall the trailer from last year ( ) which wasn't too impressive. Looked really sluggish and boring. More recent videos show a lot of work was done on it and it looks far more interesting.

I kind of dig that too. Makes grinding for gear a lot less random when you can attack a guy with the intent to slice off the pieces you want/need.

Looks sluggish and floaty, watching the boss fight video hit boxes seem to be all over the place.

i think its trying to be more bloodborne than dank souls, which if you never had a ps4 is basically anti turtle GOTTAGO2FAST2FURIOUS souls combat.

GIT GUD XD

You will die over and over again. This game is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls clones.

lots of shills going on in here

I've played Bloodborne, but I'm talking about the same issue with Lords of the Fallen, it was sluggish and floaty.

Also understandable. Getting hit with a wrecking ball is still getting hit with a wrecking ball, regardless of whether you're blocking or not.
Dodging out of danger's way seems reasonable to me.

LotF's problem was the same i had with WoW, no sense of weight. dudes wearing full plate armour but looks like its cosplay gear made of cardboard thats weighs nothing.
Heavy guys gotta lumber like something out of planet of the apes or slow walk like virgil.

GUAC SURGE

What would a Jeb! build be like?

M-mooooom! Holla Forums is talking about v-v-vidya gaems! Make them stop!

My initial impression about this game is that it's too gimicky and probably lacks interesting depth. I beat their other game Lords of the Fallen and it was entirely forgettable. I'll probably wait for when it's eventually free for PS+.

Slow and steady, just like a turtle.

so many (1)

This actually sounds interesting.

Eh maybe, doesn't look bad but not anything you can't just put on the wishlist for later either.

To be fair there's been a lot of surge threads recently. Also it still looks pretty boring, no invasion/pvp, exo suits look bad, the one boss shown was underwhelming. I don't have high hopes for this

Honestly if not for the setting i wouldn't be interested.
Which is probably where the Brink comparisons come from.

here's a two day old video with (((((((((((((giant bomb))))))))))))))))

it looks exactly the same

Don't bother elaborating.

they are really struggling without ryckert and scanlon huh?

it's painful to watch I know, he's forgetting where he was 3 MINUTES AGO and how he's fighting shit is just press a button till it dies but the fact that he can get as far as he can like this just shows how awful the game is

i'm unsure. he seems to just fight [generic early humanoid] but the moment he comes into something thats probably a dodge tutorial or something he freaks out and goes "uhh, i cant deal with those guys just yet" and then gets lost again.
Needs some paigeborne/woolie gameplay to see how a casual without map autism fights in it.

why isn't this thread getting saged to oblivion?

this some twitch streamer who seems like he's not stupid and it's more comparable to the older video

total asscancer did a pretty long stream of it
It does seem boring, but more because of the world design and enemies/placement rather than the combat itself

Never heard of this before. I like the look of it but then I also liked the visual designs of Lords of the Fallen and look how that turned out. I'm going to wait to see how the final product turns out before even thinking of buying it.

I'm always surprised how much I like 2bfp once that faggot sjw Liam left and they all started to invest in their own channels.

Well all I know is that I am willing to pirate it before I buy

Well, at any rate, someone better post a thread when it's cracked.

power tier

Is this basically ReCore?

Honestly from what I've seen the game's a 5/10, average through and through. It's not full price which is nice, but it's still 45$. The game's short, there's almost no weapon/enemy variety, there's only 5/6 bosses. It looks nice and it encourages you to build complete sets because all of them get a "set bonus".
That said the game has a pretty dire softlock issue that stops you like 2 hours before the end of the game.

Recore had literally one thread about it here.

Wait, am I thinking of ReCore or wasn't there a more DaS type robot chopping game? Maybe I just saw some early footage of this like a year ago.

wasnt that the last "t-this is the exclusive killer app to save the xbone, its gonna hit this time j-just watch!" game that the devs literally gave up and the final quarter is an empty map with unfinished puzzles?

Considering how it won't have three minute loading screens, probably not.

Kill yourselves. The lot of you.

It doesn't seem souls-y to me. More of a beat-em-up where you target parts.

Do a back flip, faggot. They've shit up their own series by forcing out iterations of the same shit and inspiring others to hop on the shit craze. It's not like Doom-like where it came out, had what allotted to an expansion and then fucked off for a good while.

I'd move Liam to the back because I really don't like him, and also slot in a Woolie/Matt combo in front of Brennan, but other than that your list is pretty spot on.

It's going to be shit, it's going to be like lords of the fallen and will completely miss the point on so many levels, on level design, on combat mechanics, on character building, on boss design, and on atmosphere/story, none of these were done even cromulently. None of these work in and of themselves and even if they did work the game still wouldn't compare to Dark Souls as the same sort of cohesive experience Dark Souls is where many elements sit on eachother in a circular fashion.

It's possible they learned. They'd have to be really retarded to remake the same mistakes when even the casuals and games media noticed them. That said, they may be really that retarded because modern vidya.

Wait and see, if they have learned then great, if they haven't then I wouldn't bother giving them benefit of the doubt ever again. Either way, I won't be giving them my money until the games out and any the verdict is visible.

liam had a lot of dumb opinions but he worked well as the straightman who was actually decent at games. pat and woolie are good but they clearly do not like eachother.

It looks interesting but I wouldn't bank more than $20 on it until I know more.

I'm probably going to sound like a fucking weeaboo for saying this, but this game solidifies my belief that western devs don't understand what makes good animation. I mean, holy shit does this game look extremely floaty and sluggish.
I'm watching a blind playthrough, and I can't get over how off the whole thing is, I can barely tell what certain movements are supposed to mean. For example, some enemies do very slow, and subtle thrust attacks and the next thing you know it, 2 bars of your health are gone.

Not to mention the combat in general seems pretty boring. Running attacks do good damage and are come off very fast, plus the player character moves really quickly compared to enemies, so I imagine you can hit and run everything in this game.

If this is what is considered a good "Souls-like" game, I can only hope Nioh goes multiplatform so that everyone is aware of what an actually refreshing, decent take on the Souls formula should be.

This shit looks like Elysium.

Elysium was a shit movie but at least it looked good. Guess it's a good analogy.

Or Edge of Tomorrow.

One of their videos talk about how they made the mocap actor for the player character wear an extra weighted vest and prop weapon, so hopefully it will feel better in that regard.

not interested

All this says to me is that it's no Nioh, which I would describe as a game that looked at the Souls formula, successfully copied it while at the same time added it's own sugar coated flavour to make it it's own.

Nigga please.

sjweeb detected

I need to self-insert as a cute girl or I can't play.

It's a frustrating and debilitating mental illness with no known cure.

Try being quite and keeping it to yourself. It's not a cure for you, but it's a cure for us.

if I have to live with it then so do you

Epitome of Attention Whoreitus. That's the real condition. Faggot.

Exo-suit mecha sci-fi seems to be the new aesthetic du jour. No idea why. It's not an especially good look.

Lack of pre-game character creation is concerning. Having the character be a tabula rasa bland dude allows them to forgo too much backstory and development, but it seems to imply that there will be no need for replays as you are just allowed to do everything in a single playthrough, rather than needing to roll new characters with different backgrounds and specialties.

ADDING A FEMALE MC IS NOT THAT HARD

arguably dependant on the game

What's wrong with their eye sockets?

1. Asian
2. Too many neuromods

Both male and female characters are fully voiced and have narrative dialogue throughout the game. If Bethesda can do it, anyone else can too.

They are chinks.

Nah, that's worse than Asian eyes.

Things have take a turn towards the real in Sci-Fi for ages, and exosuits are real. You can buy them commercially I think.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, so I'll let you be entitled to the wrong one.

Neither is shutting up or killing yourself. Yet here you are.

They're just Asians, user. Their eyes look like that.

They literally stick needles in their eye every fucking day. It's a plot point.

Nah, the streaks and strange flat parts around their eye sockets look really weird.
There's creases where there shouldn't be, also.

It's a modelling thing, tbh.

Also, if I understand the game right, that's before they start sticking needles into their eyes.

nah dude it's after four weeks of neuromods

That's not an exosuit, user. It's stilts, some fingers powered by compressed air, and a bunch of plating to make it look cool.

Since everything in the Surge is supposed to be construction equipment, it's not supposed to look glamorous or cool, I guess, and I can kind of get behind that, but the general "realistic" exosuit that's popping up in movies and vidya just isn't especially appealing to me.

No that's just a random webm I had. Real exosuits still exist. Even the military has them, Project TALOS.

Is this really a soulslike game though?

NICE ONE BETHESDA

Mechanically it is.

The exosuits in this game are construction equipment, not military grade so no need for armour. Maybe military grade exosuits are in late game, because the game does have military robots as bosses in it.

Yes but it doesn't feel like a souls game. I doubt it will give me a soulslike experience.

Everything is a Souls game.

european shovelware
bad art and no style
bad gimmicky action and a budget of 300 euros and a sack of potatos gone towards grafix that don't imrpess anyone because bad art

Is this the Dark Souls of Holla Forums threads?

You even might not be wrong, but it's still funny.

Half of those are legit similar to dark souls though.

Demon's Souls, LotF, and Bloodbourne, I'll give you.. But the rest of these can't even be categorized as the same kind of game, unless all it takes to be "Soulslike" is to be semi-fantasy themed with real time combat.

The problem is that the term "soulslike" is very poorly defined.

Wow it's like dark souls in space.

If we're doing this, and I guess we are

A lot of games try to copy by having high difficulty and a "drop your shit when you die" mechanic, but "Souls" is a total experience, not just one or two gimmicks.

Morgan is a unisex name, user.

On the one hand I'm angry because that list is cancer, but on the other hand I've never seen anyone else remember Enclave and Severance. Enclave is fucking sweet, too, which is a shame.

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I could've also included the first encounter with Seath, where death is inevitable, and the only remedy is equipping a ring of sacrifice. I don't take glitching past the encounter on the elevator into account, either.

Let's not set "big bosses" as a requirement for these games - many of the biggest bosses in the series are the worst, and many of the smaller ones are the best.

I wish every astroturfing thread was as up front and transparent as this.

Not that I want it to be bad but Lords of the Fallen didn't click well with me.

How is Bound By Flame or Shadow of Mordor or Dark Messiah like Dark souls?

Abyss Watchers, goddamn was that fun as fuck.

>"its darksouls meets ____"

Severace, Soul Sacrifice, Dark Maus, Salt and Sanctuary, LOTF, Monhun are pretty similar to souls.

fuck off vaati

SOULSLIKE IS AN INFORMATIVE TERM

I agree, because otherwise that would sort of disqualify Nioh which only has a handfull of giant bosses.

I hope the five dollars you were paid for this post serves you well.

Who the hell needs an hour to go over the basics of a game?

TB likes to hear himself speak.

Most of the time he muses about whether soulslike means something or not.

You can't blame him, his voice is 10/10.

Oh hi, TB. Shouldn't you be in chemo right now?

What's the sauce for this?

My proxy is acting up again, I'm

Oh god, this is by Deck 13? Well shit

Premise looks like total shit, by the way.

Interesting. I guess the universe is balancing itself out.

As for the game itself: I think it looks really cool and has plenty of potential, but given these are the guys who made Lords of the Fallen I can only be cautiously hopeful. LotF was awful from what I hear, so hopefully The Surge doesn't shit the bed after the first few areas. The EPIC slow motion on finishers and having to hold down buttons to do anything instead of just pressing them are some marks of a studio who don't know what the fuck they're doing, but the actually gameplay and exploration seem solid enough.

So we'll see. I look forward to pirating it to see if they made a product worth my money.

That isn't trial and error, it's a boss for story first and gameplay second - only error, if you will. The encounter's worth is debatable (I loved it, personally), but it's hardly trial and error because nobody in his right mind would repeat it after escaping the prison library.

Bed of Chaos, while an awful boss, does give you time to react to the holes in the floor. Apparently she pushes you into them, but that never happened to me so I can't speak to that problem.

loli souls one day user.

Touhou autists will surely deliver, theres even an EDF Touhou game

Bed of Chaos is probably the worst boss of the Dark trilogy.
I hope that they can deliver, it looks pretty nice despite some issues.

Earth's messed up because of climate change and capitalism.

With all the shilling going on here it's nice to know that companies now take Holla Forums more serious than Reddit.

Give a liberal a box and he will step on top of it to preach until the end of time.

The game is also uninspiring system shock clone that reviewers are forbidden from giving a low score. Perhaps if they stuck to only one character they'd had the money to improve the game where needed.

Each gender has a unique first name dipshit.

>soulsclone
Dear god please let it be good.

Let it be passable and worth pirating at least.

I want either good game or no game, I don't waste my time on mediocre shit.
In the end it hurts me more than anybody else though.

???

"Wu are Yu?"

These people need to be set on fire.

Seemed like a pretty good movie to me :^)

Found the goon.

Heh.

So, is it worth a pirate?

The animations and gameplay looks exactly like Lords of the Falalallen

I bet this user is one of the ones who couldn't get past the tutorial. We had dozens like you when it first came out.

Played for about 2 hours, here are my impressions so far.

As far as PC performance goes, it works on my system™. My specs are a 6600k at 4.7 GHz, a 1070 at 1920/4000 MHz, core/memory, and 16BG of ram. At 1080p with everything at max, I'm seeing 80-130 fps. Unfortunately, the graphic settings are pretty limited, and I didn't see much performance gain between min and max, so the game might not be toaster friendly. Graphically, the game looks decent. My only real graphical complaint is the aliasing. The only options you have are basic SMAA and MLAA, and both options don't to help much in this game. The art and environment choices are just really bad for aliasing. There are tons of thin wires strung across areas, chain link fences, railings, and grated floors, all worst case objects for shader based AA. There's also an in game option for SSAA that goes up to 200% (total pixel area, not X/Y resolution size), but setting it to 200% still doesn't do much for the pixel crawl, and drops the frame rate to the 30-50 range. Using DSR at the same resolution through the Nvidia control panel didn't have any noticeable performance difference.

To the game play itself, it's easier than souls. Dropping experience on death and getting back to your bloodstain works like souls, except you can deposit any experience you're holding into a bank at the save points, so you're only ever risking what you've gained since the last save. You can dodge almost immediately after attacks, and the healing item has no animation tied to it - you can heal yourself mid combo. That said, 2 enemies are still enough to stun lock you to death as you burn through all your healing items. I can't comment on bosses, haven't made it to one yet. I'm not sure yet if targeting limbs will be more than just a gimmick. Enemies react more or less as you'd expect to having different body parts hit, hopefully it will play out such that it's beneficial to target different body parts based on enemy abilities, instead of just going for a part you want, or anything that isn't armored if you just want them dead. Combat feels OK. Weapons seem to have decent weight to them, but the speed and distance that a dodge covers kind of kills the sense of being in an exoskeleton.

Other random bits.
-I personally think the camera is too close, it feels claustrophobic.
-I feel like the HUD design is kind of clunky
-Areas are straight up gated by your level. RIP speed runs.
-Lens flair is over the top, even with the in game setting for it turned all the way down.

Worth a pirate?

Yes

I heard that the bosses are awful. Let us know if the game shits itself when you get to one.

uh oh
might be a fun game to 'style' through if this game has some form of hyper armor

Holy hell you'd think he kicked your dog or something. Why do you take it so personally when an user dislikes a weeb bait game (especially one with denuvo)?

why didn't Alex's uniform have his name on it.

Weebs have no actual games otherwise.

Wait shouldn't ds BE LIKE dark messiah and Shadow of the colossus rather than the other way around? You know since they came out first?

I'm very interested in this game, let's just hope they learned their lesson about optimization and denuvo.

Where exactly do you think you are?

They said a couple months ago it doesn't have denuvo.

A place that doesn't whiteknight a game to the death just because one of its devs posted here one time, hopefully. I'm not saying you should be bashing the game, but have some dignity ffs.

I am more interest in it then, now the only thing it needs is strictly male protag and absolutely no homosexual or progressive shit and they have a sale.

user, have you looked into the game at all?
although apparently he's quite bland

Tbh waifufags not infesting this one is good news.

Not what I meant. You said this game was weeb bait when it clearly isn't. So obviously you're shitposting in the wrong thread.

I saw him, and he looks ok, I don't mind that he's bland as long as he doesn't talk every 15 fucking seconds he can be the most generic nolan north mofo and I'll be happy. But I'm really tired of the strong female protag lesbian and the other very strong minorities that are very very strong and free and independent and very lesbian.
If the developers want female leads why can't we have another samus? Doesn't talk, doesn't ask questions, gets the job done, isn't a lesbian, doesn't show off how stronk she is, she just blends into the goddamn background and lets me play the game. too bad nintendo killed her

If a title has zippy floaty anime-esque combat and some big titty anime slut as the protag whom also happens to be the main selling point of the game, I consider it weeb bait. Your definition may vary.

McFucking kill yourself

Drakennier is fine as a weird little franchise that's fundamentally flawed, but try to spin it as 10/10 and this sort of autism happens. The moment they decided to keep white knighting the game despite denuvo is the moment they became cancer.
Anyway, downloading the Surge now, please be good.

Where'd you find your torrent? I'd like to have a trustworthy file since the game's so new.

I used qbittorrent's search engine, which led me to this. extra.to/torrent/5637552/The Surge-CODEX.html
This method has yet to fail me, but you never know.

Yeah, I just use Transmission since Qbittorrent's search engine would have required me to install Python and the client itself was acting up for me. I haven't had any problems with Transmission since I switched but it can be a pain to go digging for files myself.
I should probably start using a VPN, huh?

you can do the refund thingy, provided you play only 2 hours max, which while is bullshit is usually enough to give people an idea of whether they want to keep it or not. fuck, i got turned away from this just by the trailers. gameplay looks meh, especially for a souls clone, and the artwork looks terrible.

user, do you just go around the board telling people to kill themselves regardless of the content of their posts?

Only to those with shit taste.

The game's not terrible. Compared to Dark Souls, it's pretty shallow and mindless, but it's got enough going that I haven't lost interest yet within the first 4 hours.
One thing that's driving me absolutely insane, though, is the horrendous folk music that's always playing in OPS (basically at every single "bonfire"). It's a shitty as fuck song, and it's only 15 seconds of it on an endless loop like a red hot needle drilling into your fucking ears.

I'm going to see if there's a way to replace the music file with a silent dummy file or something, because otherwise I won't be able to handle this game in very long doses.

Performance-wise, the game is solid so far, whether on a boss or not.
Play-wise, some shit dribbles down the game's leg when you fight the first boss, for sure.
It's just a gimmick fight, and it's extremely buggy to boot.

Premise: Big walking armored police mech (basically a larger version of Robocop 2). It has a health bar and an "orange" bar, whatever the fuck it's supposed to represent I have no idea - maybe "robot retard rage". You hit the boss in its armored metal feet, which does zero damage, until the orange bar fills up. Then it tries to launch missiles at you, but if you stand under it, the missiles smack it in its own head because it's retarded.
The missiles do no damage, but they knock it down low enough for you to smack it in its big armored head - somehow this actually does damage and a LOT of it. Repeat 3x and it's dead. Easy win.

Reality: Big retarded robot that can't hit you with any of its attacks for shit because it's slow and clumsy, so it has a constant string of large-AoE knockback or stagger frames - note that they're frames, not attacks - there are no animations, sfx or vfx for them, you just randomly stagger every once in a while. Even with the stagger frames, which do no damage by the way, it's easy to always position yourself behind its feet so you can boop away at it. However, sometimes when the orange retard meter fills up, the boss doesn't do the scripted missile attack - and in fact NEVER does the scripted missile attack - so you have to just fart around forever until you get bored and let it kill you because you cannot damage it in any way other than the scripted method.
Also its hitbox sometimes completely fails and you just walk/attack straight through it doing no damage whatsoever. I had it on one hit left, and it took me three scripted sequences before the game would let my killing blow actually land.
Easily the lamest experience in the game so far. The large "Really Angry Steam Shovel That Shoots Ice" optional miniboss had more depth, and even some of the normal trash enemies like "screaming fastman" are enough to wake you up when you encounter them, but they're pretty rare.

This is all tutorial area stuff, but the first 4 hours of a game are also supposed to showcase the best it has to offer, to keep you hooked. I'm not completely disgusted, but I'm also pretty unimpressed at the lack of polish. We'll see how it goes now that I'm entering the second area, but let's just say that I'm not super hyped.

it's very much >m-muh environment

post more subby male ass

That's what I was afraid of, yeah. Thanks for keeping us informed; I look forward to anything interesting in the second area.

Great. I can fill the game with memes at a whim, but I can't silence this one god damn song.

Blame copyright laws.
Music is intellectual property, while UI isn't.

weak tbqh fam smdh

It's only a matter of time before we see footage from games where people have replaced every single animated asset with marching anime nazi lolis or something similar. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

I don't think I'll ever run out of reasons to blame copyright laws. Pretty soon they'll even be found to be a root cause of all cancer.

THRIVING MODDING SCENE

You don't need to fill the orange retard meter. When he lifts one leg to do the stompy attack, hit the leg that isn't lifted. It'll lose its balance and fall over, letting you hit it in the head.

Oh, well shit, that makes the boss even easier. I was focused more on the fact that the armor plates could be knocked off, hoping that there was a way to ultimately chop the leg apart like a tree.

So, no mention that there's only 5 bosses in this game and most of the loot you'll get is farming the no consequence mobs over and over?

It truly is the pinnacle of mediocrity.

it's out already? and it's so shit?

Mod will fix it.

Are you mongrels for fucking real?

What's the point then?

The point is supposed to be the trash mobs
But they thought their twist on the combat formula was so good that they didn't put any work into enemy variation

Heres your single reply
Go complain off topic about weebs back on >>>/SomethingAwful/

Never said anything about weebs, just about (you) being a thin skinned faggot, and clearly I rest my case.

How is it so far?
Is it decent?

While the game isn't better than dark souls I'd like to applaud the devs. Lords of the Fallen was shit and it seems like they learned their lesson and actually really improved things with this game. While it still has some issues, I think this was a big step up for the dev team and I appreciate it when devs actually take criticism and improve their games based on it, instead of not listening and just keep releasing the same games with the same flaws which seem all to common in today's gaming industry.

…You know we had IDs right? Read the thread.

I have, read that, that user played the first 4 hours and was about to get to the second section of the game, I'd like some judgement from someone whos finished the game .
Whats your point?
What did I do on a past post that triggered you?

That sounds like a less interesting, more scripted version of cyclops fights in Dragon's Dogma.

It's only been out for 8 hours you fucking idiot.

My mistake. Didn't follow the conversation back far enough to realize you were talking about Nier.

I agree with this user. I have been playing for around 5-6 hours as well and arent really impressed. The prologue was the most fun this far. It kinda feels like a delivery boy sim atm. I'm still going to play for a bit more. I have been excited for this game for a while. Would be a shame to put it down already.

I hate this phrase and the fact that it has become acceptable jargon.

Fucking how. I know you all just bought the game so you could give money to your new waifu but fuck. How is this considered a good game?

That might be an improvement, but not a perfect solution. Good animation is all about exaggeration. Because of the limitations of creating motion via a series of images, you need to apply a little something extra to let your brain fill in the gaps.

Someone post the WebM of that cartoon dude juggling a deck of cards, I don't have it on hand.

I think they did a decent job with the sound design to help add weight to things. Too bad I can't play more than 10 minutes without the particle effects fucking up into some kind of blue rave party.

You can spam space bar blind folded and never die. Whoever made this list is a complete retard.

Did you play Nier?

I see a correlation there.
Also why even make graphical settings menu if they don't affect shit?

Define.

Pretty much.
Just finished the second boss, and it was even easier: it's a floating robot with 8 arms and two turbo jets. Attacks: poke with a leg and then sit still for a while so the player can run up and hit the leg a bunch of times and knock it off (repeat 8x), super telegraphed fire circle, super telegraphed fire cone, super slow arm-blender, super telegraphed dash attack.
You knock the legs off, then you knock its dick off, and it's done. This boss didn't even manage to hit me. Just meh.
Some of the random human-enemies and some of the crawling robot type enemies present a moderate threat, but none of the bosses or minibosses do at all.

No sir. But i have heard that it is the same, if not worse.

Unfortunate. How long is the game and is it fun to play, though?

Maybe in your region
8 hours ago was 2AM here and the game has been out since 9PM

A 760 is a lower midrange card from two generations ago.

Yeah it might not be fun for you then. It seems like some people were expecting something a lot more action focused rather than Nier-with-better-gameplay.

I picked it up and a couple of hours in and this is totally a bloodborne clone not darksouls. if you ignore the art style and just look at layout the starting main assembly turns around on itself like cnetral yarnham. I broke through some crates and found access to a hole underground pitch black area where i luckily upgraded my rig to have lights i could toggle and walked through dark corridors till i found some generators and a huge industrial enemy that did not respawn.
So far its got a lot less 'watch the tell' stuff souls has but otherwise its a lot of fun. Reminds me a little of dead space as well as souls which was what i heard so its enjoyable enough thus far.

Isn't this based on a manga? It's really cringe watching the movie after reading the manga. Same with Ghost in the Shell.

It is. As a manga adaptation it's trash. As a movie where you get to see Tom Cruise get murdered for an hour, it's pretty fun.

Well yes, it was based on this manga, but you answered your own question.

Why the fuck would someone play more of something they didn't like
Are you fucking retarded?

Literally

The medbay theme is Stumfol - Prisoner

Fuck me it took so long to find it

How goes the effort to mod it out?

4:16
For a split second, I thought the Lynx ad contained Perturbed Pedro.

Ghost in a Shell is trash either as an adaptation or its own thing.
Edge of Tomorrow is actually decent as its own thing and doesn't have the same title as the manga which I read first, so I thought it was alright

There's already something kinda close.
And yes, it's really good, but a little short.

Fuck the spaceport palace.

Fuck Persona

Do I get it right that you can't parry and some attacks are unblockable?
Also how many suits are there in the game even? Will I be stuck with couple of initial ones for like 6 hours?

If anyone actually plays this, try a single rigged weapon and use a running or dodging attack to initiate. Shit is broken as hell.

Didn't know that one was a manga adaptation at least they have the decency to change the title. So who's going to be the next victim in the Hollywood's manga/anime adaptations? Please don't let it be Battle Angel Alita

user . . .
archive.fo/86AmJ

At least I will always have the OVA

Gunnm went full DBZ so who cares.

For anyone who has played pretty far in, is this the only armor that completely covers the body?

What the hell is this from?

FUCK
The two MG guys in the second level near ops respawned and I was about to get the final piece of the gorgon gear I needed, the body, and the fucking execution animation THREW ME OVER A LEDGE.
And when I came back, the body piece wasn't there.
God dammit.

Hahahahahaha, user you have no idea. If I wasn't under NDA I'd probably make you cry

don't confirm shit and just let slip

Well to be vague about things, I've only seen small slivers of the previs so far, it's really early in production - not promising however. If you wanted a good manga adaptation then you're probably out of luck here. In fact, don't expect hollywood to ever be able to get this right. If a director of this autism level can't do it then likely nobody will be able to. They aren't planning on doing all of the books in one film but they are definitely covering more than one
You could probably find out more than I'm willing to say by just looking at the damn IMDB page.

Yes, parrying isn't a thing in this game.
And dodging's fundamentals change depending on if you're wearing a heavy or light suit. If you're in a light suit like the Lynx then hitting the dodge button will make you hop backwards. If you're in a Rhino and press the same button it does jack shit unless you hold a direction you want to dodge in too.

Also forgot to add that locking onto an opponent in combat will fuck you over if you end up fighting more than one guy at a time. The right stick controls the camera until you're locked onto something, then moving the stick around changes which body part you're specifically targeting. Unless you're fighting a drone, in which case you can't sub-target and the right stick does absolutely nothing as long as you have it targeted. So for the length of a fight you have zero camera control. This can be a major issue in cramped areas even if you're only fighting one thing, especially if you're fighting one of the fast motherfuckers armed with the forklift dual rigs. And by default the game will force a target lock on the first enemy you hit.

Try a shot of bleach.

i've never understood Holla Forums's hatred for liam, is it ust because he doesn't like to call everything worse then a 8/10 shit?

Runs fine on my toaster, using a gtx560.

this thread already went to trash.

western devs can't make an action RPG worth shit. hence why they keep trying to copy, and failing at, the "souls" formula.

this game is no different, its just another wannabe attempt at dark souls that ends up looking like, and playing like, Lords of the fallen. which was an awful clunky game.

oh right, and you're stuck with Biff McLargeHuge space mareen. no customization whatsoever.

Why do the writers always have to write such stupid shit?
You have an exo-rig. Why the HELL does it have to be screwed into your FLASH? It's a bloody RIG.

define "fine"
What settings and what framerate do you get?

Let's see if I can embed this. All I have to say is: ouch.
Some people are even considering this game to be worse than Lords of the Fallen.

Apparently it can't. I'll just post a direct link twitch.tv/videos/144223702

can't see shit, video loads eternally and never shows any image or sound.

man, twitch is fucking trash. do they expect to compete against jew tube like that?

This is wrong. At the start of the game you're fighting melee zombies in shit rigs and maybe a few drones. I'm in the fourth area right now, and I'm mainly fighting security assholes with flamethrowers and gas grenade launchers, with drone support that gives them damage reducing shields. There are still melee zombies, but they're different zombies from the first area, with different weapons and different attacks.

Don't actually instantly kill you and are dodge able anyway.

Did this asshole never find the implant that heals you for energy? With that and implants that increase your energy generation, you can't exactly take a hit for every hit you deal, but you can take a couple hits a fight and heal them off with the energy gained from that fight. It's what I've been doing most of the time.

Jesus christ this guy is a casual.

that would be impressive since i decided to give LOTF a try on a console version and hit gamebreaking glitches like 2 hours deep

But is he wrong about weapon proficiency, excessively long runbacks with same-y corridors and enemy tracking, though?

Also, that guy didn't mention this, but I've been watching a blind playthrough, and noticed that the leaching on enemies is just plain retarded. Their attacks even get CANCELED during an animation just so they return to their original placement.

And I think the point about lack of enemy variety is that is mostly humans in rigs.
On top of that, the combat apparently consists of doing dodge/dash attacks, dodging back, rinse and repeat, and enemies don't seem capable of countering that. It's a safe strategy, does good damage, builds up your energy, and comes off really fast even on heavier weapons.

Half of the weapons barely scale with proficiency, but the good weapons have at least some proficiency scaling. I just picked two weapon types at the start of the game and used them exclusively (single and twin rigged). This is called character building, it's typical of RPGs, and if you don't like that maybe The Surge is too much of an RPG for you.

Generally enemies track for the preparatory part of the attack animation, then hit a commit point and don't track anymore. For example, the jumpy scorpion robots will track you during the "I'm getting ready to jump" part of their jump attack animation, but once they start the jump they don't track you anymore.

I've never had a runback longer than 2 minutes. This is partly because the leashing is very aggressive, so once you know the level you can just run past all the enemies to get back to your dropped tech scrap, and you won't get gangbanged by a conga line of 5 or 6 zombies. The levels are mostly linear pretending to be open; generally you progress through one fairly linear area within a level, unlock the shortcut back to OPS, then you can take the shortcut to get to the next fairly linear sub-level.

The interiors are all industrially/chemically themed. Just off the top of my head there's a smokey factory bit, a laboratory bit with plants in terrariums, the sandy level at the start, a toxic-waste-leak zone, some greenhouse areas, etc. He might see that as samey because they all have similar industrial/chemical themes, but I've found them differentiated enough.

Mostly humans in rigs, with different attack patterns and different weaknesses. They look the same, they have different mechanics.

Initiation spam is very safe and effective, yes. This is a problem with the combat mechanics.

Re: weaknesses, the enemy rigs have the same weaknesses yours do. Scarab-wearing enemies are weak to elemental damage, Liquidator-wearing enemies are weak to physical, that sort of thing.

The animations look like ass
the enemy design and level designs looks fucking uninspired, it feels like another triple A game, its shit, at first glance it looks like shit so it must be shit

Megacorporation ownership shenanigans?

Incidentally, I work at a Kroger's, and the tone/delivery of Creo's corporate pap was dead-on.

it does in the jap release

Thats pretty shitty, but the movie still stands on its own.

Saw Charlie streaming this yesterday and people were just throwing money at him, what the fuck and it looks like absolute shit. The animations are terrible, all the areas look samey, it's one big uninspired maze, and it's the exact same deal as Lords of the Fallen.
Western developers need to stop trying to make souls-likes and leave it to the fucking Japs.

What is the fucking point running around dismembering people for their armor when you're still going to die in two hits regardless of what you're wearing or what level you've upgraded it to. Heavy, medium, light, it's all fucking pointless.

Also, those shield drones are awful. That whole section is just fucking awful. Don't even get me started on those god damn robo-skeletons.

I hate this game.

the plot appears to be a jewish scheme to exterminate most of humanity so they can set up a nwothe CEO of the company is a fucking berg

This has more of a Dead Space than Dark Souls feel to me.

Would have been a cooler angle to this than Spring-Heeled Jack's "Soulslike" hack and slash extravaganza.

Well of course not when after hours of troubleshooting and tons of retarded fixes not limited to but including changing my audio frequency, limiting the game to a single core, a community modfix, installing x360ce for the custom xinput dll, running the game in windowed mode 720p with vsync disabled, etc. I still get a pile of dogshit that can't even hold 60fps on minimum and crashes at least once every 30 minutes. All for a mediocre game that's basically open world Bayonetta with somehow way less variety in her moveset. No thanks.

Blocking basically IS parrying in this game. If you successfully block an attack and then immediately attack you get a special attack animation. Some weapons it's more effective than others for, Single Rigged is quite powerful.

Lock on locks on, who would have guessed?

from what I've seen it looks like the combat of dark souls with minor tweaks/alterations in a generic western post-apoc robot setting.
Seriously, the art design is so fucking boring.

The combat is a million times clunkier than Dark Souls. Not really a post-apoc setting either.

It was a sci-fi novel originally. The manga is an adaptation of it.

The movie has very little to do with the original story outside of general premise.

Did you forget about the migrations? Or are you just a newfag?

He still has a chance to win

When it works. More often than not blocking does nothing but make you a sitting duck.
Don't defend something that does more harm to the player than good. Turning the auto-lock off does fuck all too. Every time I attack something with the auto-lock either off or on and it still locks target. The inability to fucking turn off the auto-lock is either a majorly bad design decision or a bug QA didn't catch/didn't care about.

Just saying, lock on works exactly the same way in dark souls or any other action game with lock on. In many of them right stick/mouse switches targets, which generally just makes things worse especially for M/KB controls.

I can't into webm so fuck it, but I just have to share this review, because it tears the game a new asshole. Just be warned though, the first few minutes of this video sound obnoxiously pretentious like you'd expect from a games "journalist" or even worse, but the part about the gameplay (skip to 2:41) is pretty incisive, and even funny.

So is it worth a pirate or is it not? I don't trust a reviewer or a streamer.

So you've not actually played the game and are shitposting right now?
Because switching locked targets in Dark Souls isn't done by pressing the left trigger and Dark Souls doesn't fucking have an auto-lock feature that doesn't like being turned off.

Except that's not how it works in this game either you fucking nigger. I've already pointed out that the right stick changes the body part you aim for on the locked target.
You should at least try actually fucking playing the game first before talking about it's controls that you're clearly unfamiliar with.

Jesus Christ.

Aren't we fucking done with souls-esque games yet? Is there any other fanbase that will defend so little so heartily?

Granted, the aesthetic is refreshing, but how long can this really entertain someone?

He posted Persona 5
Take a guess

You should really work on your reading comprehension, lets drop the controller talk because fuck consoles anyway.

In both DaS and The Surge, locking on to a target restricts your camera. In Dark Souls, moving the mouse will switch targets. This is bad, because you need to use the mouse to attack and not moving it at all is difficult. In the Surge, switching targets is done with the X key, which is an improvement, because it means you do not accidentally switch during combat.

Any bullshit about lock on interfering with fighting multiple enemies is just you being bad. Fighting multiple enemies is difficult in both games, but it's not the lockon making things hard.

Is Scarab Armor any good? I just got the recipes but it seems like a worse Rhino, same armor but more core usage, stamina usage and less stability.

Also I think the combat and movement feels really good, I've mostly been sticking to the twin and single rigged weapons. The single ones feel a bit sluggish at first but once you realize their huge poise break they have it's forgivable.
Twins on the other hand are fucking, they're super fast and agile with a bunch of fun moves like spinning in circles and slashes that combo into a kick that throws you backwards a good distance.

I think that's the point. People everywhere have been claiming this game is "sci-fi Souls", and it's pretty clear the Surge is inspired by it, but they don't seem to understand what made that series interesting.
Lack of enemy variety, very few and uninteresting bosses, stilted character progression, parries/counters that take little to no skill, and a failed attempt at an interconnected world with areas that feel copy-pasted. People shit on Dark Souls 2 for failing this aspect, there's no reason why The Surge should be an exception to that.

That explains why the bulk of your argument is so fucking awful. It still doesn't in any way, shape or form explain why auto-lock won't disengage when it's told to do so and why that feature being stuck on all the time is fucking bad.

Every set has a set bonus when all 6 pieces are equiped. Scarab "increases the effect of all vital boost (HP increase) implants". Effectively giving you far more max HP.

Works for me btw, I haven't had any problem with the feature not turning off.

Even then, it's a 20% boost, so scarab isn't really a great armor choice unless you are stacking the hell out of hp

wew
I have infinite health now.

and how come enemies only a take quarter of my health now when I use the scarab armor, the goliath set only offers 10 less defense points and when using that meme I got one hitted by everything

Some things are not meant for mortal minds to know.

How far into the game are you? I'm pretty sure you should have found the 12 slot rig by now

uh, Ive just gotten the usb from the nigress and are heading back to the 2nd area

Ok then you found a injection v.3 sooner than I did. I didn't find that until R&D, I was stuck on v.1 till then.

The second tier rig is where you are heading now, some time before the third boss. You might have already seen it through a window.

I like that developers are doing the "we want the Dark Souls audience". Anything that will take the industry back to a risk/reward style games is a good thing in my opinion.
But if the game is as broken and buggy as Lords of the Fallen is, its not even worth a pirate.

I'll give it time before I try it.
Plus, I am probably going to buy Nioh soon.

I have no clue, I'm just running around hoping to find the right way

hey I just found it, if you hadn't told me of the rig thing I would never have thought about breaking this glass

One of the main reasons I was incredibly skeptical about this game is that it advertised itself as "souls-like", which is a highly specific series of games made by one developer and director, some of which aren't even considered "souls-like" by the harder-core fans. If this game had just advertised itself as an action-adventure game where you go around smashing robots that just happens to use some of the good bits of game design from dark souls, then it'd be all fine and dandy, but saying it's "like X but with Y" means that unless it's EXACTLY like X, people are going to be disappointed.

such a shame that you are punishing yourself if you use any other weapon than the fire gloves

I think it's a useful discriptor because it distinguishes the game from the likes of DMC, God of War, and various formats of action rpg. There's something very different about the combat specifically of Souls and any of their attempted clones, and to say it's a stamina bar is grossly oversimplifying.

Besides, it's not the first time we've had a hugely varied subgenre named based on a single game, see Diablo-clones for that.

Fire gloves suck. Damage is OK-ish but they have shit for impact.

I use single-rigged weapons myself. Currently I'm using Volatile Spectre, unique variant of the SpectreBite that does almost all of its damage as elemental. Single rigged running and dodging attacks are both overpowered as fuck.

This is what I'm using

You think they suck?
the fire punch attack is a free dodge with burn damage, you can literally spam it and never get hit

I don't remember anything like that from the promotional gameplay. They were very cautious to refer to their game as an action game with RPG elements, or something obviously not related to the Souls games.

Assuming you can get a 3 hit combo to begin with.

The running attack with single rigged stuns most enemies immediately, and its fast as fuck. Follow it up and most of the time they are dead before they even get to attack.

He's talked about gamers being sexist and that guns kill people and should be banned and all kinds of shit.

it's the fastest weapon type so that isn't a problem, except with those jumpy robot fucks, then I use your weapon there and just parry spam

He used the term "dangerous male" to describe a guy in two alternate timelines having crushes on two different girls and intimated this was "internalised rape culture". Fuck you Liam.

So i got to the 3rd boss and thank fuck its better than the first two.

Not amazing but a massive improvement.

ALSO WHERE THEY FUCK DO YOU GET THE UNLOCK FOR THE SECOND AREAS MAINTENANCE DOORS.

I've found like 5 shortcuts back to that levels ops that remain behind these sealed doors. my rigs lvl.55 and theres only a lvl.70 thing left to charge and i doubt thats it.

second boss fire dodge claws for the 3 legged fuckbots you find mid game and first bosses giant ass blade for everything else.

I've been mulling over an apparent issue with this game, so to anyone who's played it, please tell me if I'm missing something.

I think the mechanic for targeting individual body parts affects the pacing of the combat negatively. Before every fight, you essentially have to cycle between several targets until you get the desired one. This wouldn't happen naturally, if I want to hit someone in the leg with a weapon, I can directly order my body to do so, instead of "selecting" different parts in my brain.
So the way it works in The Surge seems pretty counter-intuitive, even more so if you're fighting two or more aggro'd human enemies at the same time. That gives you at least 12 different targets to choose from (each limb, torso and head for each enemy), so you have to keep backing away from your pursuers until you have finally selected the right body part of the right enemy.

What I was thinking was switching between different combat styles instead. Pressing specific keys/buttons would allow the player to always hit the legs, or always hit the torso, and so on and so forth (hitting specific body parts could also have different effects; like immobilizing an enemy if you hit their legs, disarm them if you hit their arms, etc.). This could be an universal system, even non-humanoid enemies could be affected the same way, with their wheels/treadmill, AI core, shell casing and whatnot being equivalent to the body parts of a humanoid enemy.
I guess this would sacrifice the gimmick of cutting specific limbs to get their respective piece of armor or weapon, but I think it would make the combat way more fluid and engaging, and lock-on wouldn't have to be a necessity.

First bosses giant ass blade is an example of a "single rigged" weapon. I used it for a while, but I found that it actually did less damage than other single rigged weapons despite having a larger damage number stat. Not sure why, but anyway they Volatile specter (found in the sludge pit underground in the first level) does great damage to everything, double what that blade did most of the time.

Its pretty simply really. click right stick to target then up for head, right or left for limbs and down for a leg and L2 swaps between targets. The bloodborne style dash in and out combat means its a simple case of "target when running up to jjump in and smash a nigga then boost out, retarget and select as stamina refills then dash in again"

i tried it but found the corrosive version later more satisfying.

Corrosive single rigged? Haven't found anything like that

on with mouse it's a chore, you have to scroll the wheel untill you get the right part, and if you do the shitty jump or crutch gimmick dodge you lose your traget

Corrosive stuff starts showing up after you undo the security lockdown when the new guards show up like the 2 sec guys and an electric variant of the tripod bots start guarding the train back to the first area.

From what I've seen of people playing, it seems like they usually spend a second or two switching between body parts before they engage in a fight.
I haven't played this game yet, so I don't know exactly how swift the controls are, but that still seems like an unnecessary extra step for what follows next, which always plays out the same way, meaning, the buttons you press and the moveset of your character is always the same whether you're attacking an enemy in its armored torso or its unarmored leg. I guess you could argue that hitting unarmored body parts makes the enemy stagger more easily and they take more damage, but still, isn't that basically how the vast majority of encounters are going to be like whenever possible?

If there are melee attack options, a dodge roll, and the health appears in the upper left corner of the screen with a little bubble further left of that indicating some kind of other meter, and customization to some degree, chances are some mouth breather will call it a souls-like or say dumb shit like "it's exactly like a souls game."
For instance, hollow knight, which is more stylistically like metroid, has been referenced several times by several people as a souls-like for no reason other than dodges and having melee combat.

Every single thing you just said could be used to describe Bayonetta, but I haven't ever heard of anybody calling it "souls like", because Dark Souls plays absolutely nothing like a crazy action game. Even if you further emphasized the form of character development it still wouldn't qualify. In fact, character leveling int The Surge has basically no static choices. You can increase your rig level or upgrade equipment, and everything stat wise is done by slotting found implants which can be swapped freely.

There's something fundamental about the way Souls combat plays with controlled, methodical swings and little to no animation canceling. That plus a metroidvania approach to level design and some kind of punishing death mechanic is what it takes to be a souls like.

Mouth breather found

Played for a couple hours. It's alright, but you can definitely feel that various mechanics combine in unfortunate ways to bring the game down quite a bit.

Like the limb severing. Awesome way to get the loot you want, right?.. Well, only if you specifically target one limb the whole time and then land the cinematic finisher move. Land all of your hits on one part you wanted to cut off and then hit one too many times and kill the guy? Doesn't count. Hit only one limb without targeting a specific part and then hit the finisher? You'll probably get nothing.

Locking on is pretty rough too, as there's no easy way to swap between targets, so if 3 guys come rushing at you, flying in like they had rocket legs, and you're locked onto on guy, you can't quickly switch to another dude to try and stun him… And it's not like stunning is consistent either! Sometimes you can cancel a blow or send an enemy staggering.. and sometimes they just start comboing you and instantly stagger you.

I'm kind of liking the map design and how much it opens up new paths as you go. The unlit sections where you need a rig with lighting are practically pointless because the lights are never pointed forward and don't illuminate enough area. Enemy placement hasn't been too unfair or bullshit yet.

Pirate it and maybe if it goes on sale for 20 dollarydoos or less, pick it up.

The whole loot thing doesn't matter much in the long run. You might occasionally have to farm a few pieces when you encounter a new enemy or a new tier of component, but otherwise you can mostly ignore it, and if you ever fail you can probably just try again.

Executions are always worth doing though since it increases your scrap multiplier every time (resets on death, healing at OPS/health stations, or banking scrap). Makes for an interesting risk-reward mechanic where you don't want to immediately deposit your scrap whenever you get the chance because you'll lose that multiplier.

Mouth breathers will mouth breathe, dude. You can't blame marketing for something they didn't do.
At least it isn't as bad as ROGUEVANIA SOULSLITE

I want to point out that there's a particular enemy type very late in the game that shifts armor. If you attack an unarmored limb that limb will become armored and something else will become unarmored. I'm thinking this is supposed to play into the dynamic/non-sticky targetting where you keep shifting to attack unarmored limbs in order to kill it easier. They ARE fairly tough.

Press X.

Also, I was wrong about enemy tracking. I got to the next part of area 4, and there are these robot zombies that you have to kill twice, and their attack animations track you like fuck. So not all enemies track you, but there are enemies that do, and they're incredibly aggravating.

Setting is on "Very High", and plays just fine, frames are definitely below 60 FPS, but game plays just fine.

I have seen zero bugs as far as I can tell since launch day, nothing impacting my gameplay.

There is 4 damage types vs. 4 defense stats.

Each weapon, and armor has different numbers of this. What you see in the selection menu is either an average or a combination of those numbers (for weapons) in the equipment menu.

There are sections in the game with chemical spills which do energy damage. What they're probably doing is switching between their environmental suit combo, vs. their preferred combat loadout.

Can we talk about how absurd it is that people pretend this game isn't bringing anything new to the table?

For fucks sake, people, not including Bloodborne this is the most innovative 'Soulslike' in existence. Dark Souls 2 was quite unique in some regards but still pretty much didn't add all that much new. Dark Souls 3 was literally a 'The Force Awakens' of Souls, a literal best of game full of references without anything new.

I'm not saying The Surge is good or anything, but it pisses me off when people can't take a game at face value and constantly forgive flaws in sequels.

What is so innovative about this game? I don't see it at all.

The energy system, and the limb targetting and dismemberment system. Sure it's hurrdurr blue bar, but it's used much differently in this game.

The boss in Executive Forum is giving me a mild fuck. Battle of attrition where an enemy keeps running away and summoning a big battle mech every time he loses ~2 bars of health, then he heals while you're taking out the mech, and this pattern seems to go on forever until you can out-damage his regen. Even taking the mechs out with maximum speed makes him regen at nearly a full bar. I've beaten three mechs so far in my attempts, and at my rate I'm estimating at least 2 more in a row before I can actually finish him off.
It wouldn't be so bad, if this guy and his mechs couldn't two-shot me with every single combo they have. I can dodge 90% of it, but if I get clipped even once, it's almost a guaranteed wipe.
I've been very surprised by the exaggerated damage of the enemies in general. The fights themselves aren't difficult, but when everything is a 1 or 2-hit kill, the difficulty appears from within - the enemy isn't any more difficult, but now the slightest lapse in concentration on the part of the player is what causes defeat rather than the difficulty of the enemy itself. Feels cheesy, but at the same time it's fair in a way so I can't be too salty about it.

I'm a little bummed that armor doesn't seem to do anything to mitigate damage, though, just like DS3. I've got full Bloodied PROTEUS set equipped, upgraded to a mix of Mk4/Mk3, with 113 defense, and I've got 280 health. 1 single attack from the dude or his robots causes at minimum 190 damage. It makes me wonder if I wouldn't be better off just going with my Lynx armor for the extra attack speed and CP, or just Gorgon MG for the stamina regen.

Probably going to beat this faggot on my next attempt, but god damn he's pissed me off. Feels good, actually, to finally hit a point in this game where something's given me a fuck. Hopefully it's not just an accident and actually maintains the challenge from here on out.

Okay, got him after summoning only a single robot that time. No idea why he decided not to summon his butt-bot, but I'm okay with this.
The AI in this game is weird for human enemies. Often times, they will completely change up their movesets and patterns between different runs.

It's not THAT innovative, but it tries to be different, and let's be honest
Just take the game at face value. It's more unique than Dark "Broken development cycle" Souls 2 and Dark "Rehash" Souls 3, and most people were perfectly fine with those, despite them adding very little to change the original formula.

tl;dr Reviewers are giving The Surge shit for flaws that wouldn't bother them if it was a Fromsoft™ game

Is this game any good? If I'm going to expect something similar to "soulsborne", what would I get? I've played through DkS1 and DeS to death.

This game is a cheaply made souls clone, and pretty boring with fucked up hitboxes.
I also don't like the SciFi aspect, would be much cooler if it was medieval .