City builders

looking for a comfy city builder that isn't too easy
the gameplay of banished is more or less perfect for me, but after a while it gets bland. especially since i'm not that interested in the time period
zeus/poseidon were fun, but unless there's invasions you can't really lose
black and white 1/2 were fun but 2nd one was shit at military and 1st one had no military at all
haven't tried any of the anno games, are they good?

Anno is excellent, play 1404, you'll probably love it if you want Banished with some more direction.

the anno series is all about resource management and micromanagement so if that's your thing then you'll fuckin love it.

aven colony is fun too but its still indev and there isn't any endgame in it yet, plus it's scifi and i dunno if that's your flavor.

Tropico was fun, but it may be too easy

tropico got too easy & casual after tropico 2 i think :/ i used to play the first two religiously. managed to fill an entire island once with a massive fuck off city, that took a while.

Anno games had too much micromanagement for me to find it fun. Have you tried Caesar games? 3 and 4 were quite okay.

Tropico 3 was pretty easy, and I heard the sequels are even more so easier to play.

Still, 3 seems like the best, from modern tropicos. pretty fun, pretty funny. great atmosphere

The Settlers 3 or 4, if you have a couple years to burn on the main campaign.

Is there a city builder with a focus on building a pretty city with less emphasis on management?

Cities: Skylines

Tropico 1 is reasonably difficult if you pick the right scenario, the game comes with plenty.

Can confirm that 3 is the best of the modern Tropicos and the hardest but it's still not difficult. 1 I've already covered and 2 is a weird pirate-themed spin-off that is surprisingly fun but probably not city-builder enough for OP.

Tropico 3 was made easier but in a good way. Building just anything in Tropico 1 was a pain.
3 at least still forced you to act like a dictator sometimes and being indebted actually had consequences. I was never invaded once in 4 or 5.

Tropico 4 expansion and DLCs were the main culprits to decreasing difficulty. A lot of the buildings that were added were outright better than the vanilla ones and trivialised the difficulty since they had no downsides compared to the original.

Settlers 2, when you're done with the campaign you can move on to settlers 3

There's always the anniversary edition which is the same game but 3d and has multiplayer

I wish they'd do different themes like they did with 2. It's been almost exactly the same shit for years now.

3 added cars which helped with 1's major annoyance but the game's difficult is pretty much non-existent. 1 also didn't have a proper campaign, just a bunch of non-connected pre-made scenarios although 2 did that before 3.

2 was actually made by a different developer if I remember (hence the change in direction). I agree though, 5 tried to move through periods but it was unsatisfyingly unfocussed on any one point in time.
I forgot to mention it but Tropico 1 and 2 have great OSTs, 3 and onwards basically just remixed them.

Have you tried Urban Empire? From what I've seen, it was made by the same guys who made Tropico and is more about European-style citybuilding.

this

it's not the same

It's trash.

I figure this would be a good thread to ask. I wanna try Cities In Motion, but I don't know whether the first or the second one is better. Could some user spell out the differences and recommendations?

Looks like there's been an update to the Banished mod Colonial Charter since I last played. Time to play again soon, I wager.

how can a modern game look so ugly.

two words: indie trash

im kidding, banished is an aight game but it is pretty ugly.

How about you play Cities: Skylines and listen Solar Fields instead of the game's music?

Pharaoh was always my favorite out of the historical city builders, liked it way more than both zeus and caesar.

banished is kind of fun, but why are people starving to death while my food storage is full? why do they refuse to live in houses and choose to be homeless while houses are vacant? WHY does the town randomly fail for no apparent reason.

3 is alright if you don't min-max the character skills. I had a much better time playing as a presidente based off of me.

What's the appeal of these kind of games where nothing happens? I played Banished because of those template threads
It made the game look like it would be chaotic with storms and natural disasters but after several hours, all i had to worry about was my hungry villager starving on his way to the food storage.

Well, people say Tropico 4 is the best, 5 was shit, 1-2 too simple, 3 is unfinished 4.

Those "what I expected vs got" images are usually just exaggerated meme-slinging shit.

By the way, why entire city cimulators are so popular? Its way more fun to build things in already existing cities, and influence infrastructure, not the whole thing. Transport tycoon, Patrician 3, Port Royale 2, Capitalism 2 are really fun.

Well, it depends on whether you turned natural disasters on or off, and how frequent they are.

It all depends on which aspects of your game you want to have control of, and the scale you want to operate at. Rollercoaster Tycoon, Theme Hospital et al are really fun, but sometimes, you just want to control a city, an empire or even a planet.

I might redownload it and turn the difficulty up to the max. The only natural disaster I've had happen is bad harvesting and a random fire that everyone rushed to put out.

It's made by one guy in his basement

And now comes the part where you tell me why it's trash.

Whatever you do, don't get the latest 2 Anno games, they both come with assraping DRM and the last one is casualized and unfinished as fuck.
I'd also advice against giving Blue Byte any money, one of the creative directors was caught in that gamergate trap op and exposed as a sjw cunt trying to dox gg people.

That's zoomed in so close you can see the pixels, which is never the zoom level you play the game at. Every game is going to look like shit if you do that.

Basically pic related.

either the house has at least one other person in it and they aren't in a family, or the house is too far from the person's workplace
same for the food, they have to actually be able to reach it

Use parks, and you can have storage yards hold certain food.
Step up your godhood.

Thanks, stopped me getting 2205.

These people are retarded. 4 is 3 with no fucking difficulty. I had to start rigging elections for fun to keep from falling asleep.

COMFY TO THE TOP WE GO!

Holla Forums PWEASE ;___;

I played patrician 2 and enjoyed it. But it was super imbalanced in terms of professions. Going for starter counting house and early politics means you were basically untouchable(just like real life!)

Will patrician 3 add to that experience?

Oh my bad, I'm thinking of The Guild 2.

minecraft is pretty good for this

ain't patrician that one where you start as a Hansa Merchant in middle ages?

I saw this on steam today. Anyone know if it's good?

It tries to be an Impressions city builder set in a generic fantasy world. But without any of the good bits of any of the Impressions city builder games.

I'm gonna sound a bit pretentious here, but is there a City Builder that is either:

1) Expanding and expanding with content, as in with different and always varying buildings, citizen needs and events;
2) Mission-based, as in you need to accomplish a specific goal within a certain amount of time and resources (think later Tropico titles but way harder);
3) Where you can change the architectural style of your city and the ethnicity of your citizens, so that if I want to make a Dubai-like and a typical Helvetian small town in the same title? Maybe even letting me add ghettos and old buildings (think of historical 18th century palaces in the middle of an ever expanding city)?

Tropico 5 is pretty much the only "builder" I can think of that really even attempts to go through a long period of time with each "era" having different buildings and conditions.

Cities XL kinda-sorta allows you to make separate districts, but sorted by social class rather than race.

Cities Skylines allows you to designate districts and allow only certain kinds of buildings to grow there, but the building styles are limited to "American" and "European" unless you download mods and user-created building styles.

That sounds pretty cool.

Did you try the Colonial charter mod? It adds quite a lot of content.

So, basically, SimCity 4 is still the undisputed king. I wish someone would do justice to the Caesar/Pharaoh/Emperor/Zeus line of games and make something new.

Yes. Black and White 2.

1. Yup.

2. Yup.

3. Yup.

Is B&W2 compatible with modern systems or should I run a VM?

This is more of a God Game than a City Builder.

then explain to me how it is more comfy than most city builders and strokes my city building boner like no other game

do you have an amd graphics card, user?

what am I wrong about, user?

I heard the game does not start at all since microsoft removed some kind of drm (safedisk) from windows 7,8 and 10 that allowed the game to run. Years ago the game worked for me on win 7 but now not anymore i suppose.

If you manage to run it on XP remember that you also have to change some values inside a file or else the citizens won't age at all (another anti-piracy measure)

Sorry, didn't mean to be obtuse. I don't have an AMD graphics card.

then I don't know, I had to manually fix some stuff with a special program to get rid of graphic bugs in black and white 2

I guess you can still do it

didn't encounter that though, last time I played it, it started normally, I was just suffering from graphical bugs

Isn't that the game with "creatures" that look retarded more than cute
The first one looked kinda neat but I don't think that's what I'm looking for

RRRRUUUUUUUDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

No, but they looked okay, not retarded imo.
I mean the graphics are pretty decent, except when you go full evil.

Guess i took an half-assed pirated version, because in the mid game i always found myself with mothers followed by a row of 17 years old children that didn't want to become adults, and only by changing these values i could detach the little shits from their mom's tit

I actually own 2 copies of the game + the addon.

Back when I was a little kid and actually bought the games instead of pirating.

It's a bit off your criteria, but Planetbase is pretty fun, and has lots of challenge.

jesus christ, why are so called pure city builder and base building games …

looking at this user right here

so bad in terms of comfyness

completly flat terrain … seriously?

Because that's just what you like? It doesn't change what it IS, though. Just because I like men doesn't mean I can recommend them to a friend when he asks what kind of women to date.

Do you like what I like user?

It's the closest we have to a SC4 successor, that's for sure. Nothing else quite scratches that itch, even if it isn't quite as deep as Simcity is. Then again I've mostly played it vanilla so I don't really know what the mods add to the mix.
The devs are fags though, so be sure to pirate that shit along with the DLC.