Eternal Ring and Evergrace

I recently ran into these games while out and about and there really isn't much out there about them other than their respective Wikipedia entries and a very small selection of short gameplay videos.

Do these games stand out in any way? Are there any interesting mechanics involved in either of them? Good music perhaps? I'd just like some opinions because they've peaked my interest.

All I know they are some old JRPGs released at the start of the PS2's lifecycle, so they might look rather dated but have some interesting concepts for the gameplay.

Evergrace's music is something else entirely

I thought Eternal Ring was better than King's Field IV, personally. Never really cared for Evergrace. If you're emulating ER there's one impassable section without a workaround in the settings, check the wiki.

This is some of the weirdest shit I've heard in awhile…

I can dig it. It's strange as fuck with many elements that you would never think would fit, but somehow it all comes together, even if just barely, and becomes hauntingly catchy. I didn't mind listening to it at all.

Very unique, if nothing else.

Evergrace sucks, play the sequel Forever Kingdom instead. Eternal Ring is just a tech demo for King's Field IV and Shadow Tower Abyss.

Well now I'm listening to the whole thing and I can honestly say I have no regrets

What the fuck is this shit. Now I've gotta listen to the soundtrack as well.

What the heg is this?

Now I really want to pop this game into my PS3 and see what the fug is going on

Fun game, controls are something to need to get used to.

Also Evergrace 2

What genre is this?

Starts off as borderline noise, but it's growing on me. I really wanna play this game now.

Kota Hoshino-core

They were some of favorite games when I was younger when my dad introduced me to them.

From should reboot this IP.
Miyazaki should direct the gameplay.
Darius is a pretty based MC.

Eternal Ring is quite a bit janky but it has quite a lot of neat stuff in it. The ring crafting system was really interesting even if it had zero documentation in game. It was a bit faster pace that King's Field was, feeling a bit like King's Field I(IIj). Some nice bits of exploration, if mostly linear for the vast majority of the game's route.

Post-game dungeon was absolutely bonkers, being very difficult while also pumping you up to game-breaking levels.

Worst part of it is probably the Voice acting, which ranges from passable to OH GOD JUST SHUT UP ABOUT SEABIRDS.

But what's the music like?

Not bad enough that you notice that is bad but not really good enough to stand out as a whole either. Largely atmospheric/orchestral stuff that's just in the background. Meh.

Well I played for about 2 hours and got through 3 boss fights. It's not great but it's not awful either and the music certainly adds something.

The music really helps make the game unique. And the fact that you feel like you are playing characters on acid the whole time

Bump my rump

I can vouch for this. I did the bonus dungeon before I did the final boss managed to get myself one of the Dragon Rings and wound up one shotting the boss.

Eternal ring is a game that I think really deserves a second pass because the crafting system and idea of switching between magic rings was very good. But it was held back by the constant cooldowns whenever you switch and the inability to do a lot of other meaningful actions while waiting for cooldowns to come off. This game needs a slightly better melee system then flailing and arm

Are the controls ironed out a bit in the sequel? Because so far I'm enjoying Evergrace for what it is and I'll probably give Eternal Ring a go some time later in the year?

Yes they are, FK is to EG1 what ZOE2 is to ZOE1

Evergrace was awful.

Eternal rings was great.

try out Shadow tower, and Shadow Tower: Abyss (which is a jap only game with a fan made english patch), and of course, Kings Field series.

I liked King's Field (2J) and Shadow Tower Abyss.
Both Eternal Ring and Evergrace are in my backlog but I want to play Shadow Tower and KF4 first.