What does vidya mean to you?

Is it just a hobby or something more to you? Do you ever try to apply some kind of greater meaning to your habit?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/FSyRF
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No

Either.
1. It's fun (Which is hard for me now)
2. It's spiritually/emotionally uplifting (Also hard. Autistic as fuck, but it's nice)
3. It's charming (Banjo-Kazooie)

I wish I could motivate myself to participate in the ADGD threads. I do think I suffer from depression, but then I realize it's not as severe because I still am added enough yo browse Holla Forums and not lay in bed all day without ANY energy, hoping to die.

Also, I wanna fuck the Indian/Chink in your icon.

Are you going to use the results on your feminist blog?
Go interview your mother.

For me, I think games (and to a similar extent anime & manga) were my way of coping with just how little I could fit into normal society. I'm a little less autistic in my obsessions now that I'm older and not a teenager, but at this point that stereotype people have of the lonely gamer who doesn't get laid and wastes tons of time obsessing over his niche hobbies I've kind of just embraced

I'm like that but with music. I need to improve myself, because I'm pathetic enough to let fantasy characters get me self conscious.
I'm aware it's wrong but I've got the self hate of a feminist blinded by self loathing.
When I see a character that I deem too attractive, I can't play the game.

It's fucking infuriating that I understand that what I am feeling is not normal, even worse than I can peer into the mindset of mentally Ill feminists. I've had a bad experience with them though, which is why I reside here. They treat everyone like shit and make the cruelest posters in this board look like a fucking joke. Vile people.

That's not even scratching the surface BTW. There is a lot of Hypocrisy with feminuts.

its fun, having fun even though it may not directly benefit us is what separates us from the animals

I play games to stave off the desire to die. In fact that's why I do anything at all.

ask your mom

are you grill?

For me, it's more than just fun. I mean I have fun of course, but for me, I used to feel like I should try to balance my gaming and various weeb habits with trying to be a normal, functioning member of society after making a fucking embarrassment of myself as a kid. But now, I'm not so sure. Now if someone came up to me and said "you're a loser with no social life, you'll never have a girlfriend, you'll never hold a real job, blah blah blah," I'd probably be like "good, fuck you and your normalshit problems. I don't care anymore"

if you pay your bills and cause no harm to others i see no issues with such a lifestyle

i still try to put on my normalfag disguise but it crumbles when i admit my hobbies are video games and model its

I used to have fun playing games, but now it's just a way of killing time.

yeah, i know how that feels

Video games are a perfectly normal hobby that everyone and every other single mother takes part in on their mobile phones. Model kits are unusual but I doubt most people see such as a bad thing.

there's no easy way to say to a normalfag that you like to build kits of robots from anime

Lmao no. I'm pathetic.

I want to see a Doujin where hideki has a vagina on his scalp and he has different devs take turns fucking it and pumping his cranium full of cum.

I live to play videogames, one day i will die and no one will remember me, i don't give a fuck.

"Beats suicide."

This kind of bothers me personally to be quite honest. I was a kid in the 1990's, and at least during that time, there was still some controversy in allowing even children to play video games. The result was that gaming felt more like a separate subculture of sorts.

I thought maybe you were talking about model cars or something. Anyway if you don't think you're doing anything wrong you'd be better off not caring. People have their own shit to worry about.

well it wouldn't crush my soul if some one told me they thought it was a stupid hobby, but i feel like it just makes it harder to make friends sometimes

A nice way of spending time, especially that I can get better at it with practice. In not so many words, a pastime and entertainment. One of several I have, with others not as engaging.

I don't really feel much connection to anything I like to be honest. I don't feel like I had much say in it to start with. I just happen to like certain things and maybe I'd be better off liking other things, but I don't.

That's because it absolutely makes it harder to make friends. Having nothing in common doesn't exactly bring people together.

Vidya used to be a brief respite from the torment that is existence.

But those times are coming to an end, considering the state of the industry.

The Torment sunk its teeth into Vidya.

This is why you talk about things that you do have in common and maybe tell them about your toy army after you become friends. Or just don't. Hiding your power level is a thing for a reason.

I spend my whole life around it so I can escape the few painful moments I spend on reality.
Its a pitiful existence

Also to answer OP's question, I just play it to kill time. It's fun and I have no other hobbies.
Been playing since I was a kid and just stuck with it.

I kind of wish I had other hobbies though, but I haven't tried getting into any. Nothing really interests me.
Don't watch many movies, don't read I seriously have never read a book out of interest after I turned 12 or so and I don't go out enough for outside activities.
Going to the gym was fun though, but I don't see it much as a hobby.

Now I feel bad.

Try reading The Hitchiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

I have no clue what you guys are talking about rn

gunpla my dude

Just something I shitpost about.

>>>/cuckchan/

That's like applying greater meaning to drinking.

Are you me?

No, he's just at least 30% of Holla Forums

I just feel like games for me are part of this greater rebellion of mine against the wider society around me, but it's a little difficult to do that nowadays when there are far more casual players than ever before.

>>>/tumblr/

Isn't that a little weird? A recent classic game had a tranny shoved in for obvious reasons. Not my idea of rebellion.

There's nothing special about wanting to die. I want to die precisely because there's nothing special about me, or any of us. Every last one of us is completely replaceable.

See

I used to feel special about wanting to die until I realized that I probably am going to die, very fucking soon. Now I just live in fear and wish I wasn't so worthless.

What are you sick or something? I wish I felt special about something, preferably something else.

Your numbers intrigue me, but is it really that fun? I probably shouldn't judge, but I have this impression that most of it is just "lol nerdy" humor.

I hope your system breaks

Honestly you should just read it. The movie is terrible and the casting doubly so. I'd consider the books more goofy than anything. You can rest assured that the novel is meant for people of average intelligence with average interests.

I'd just buy another one.

Is that supposed to be a good thing?

This is the worst recommendation I've seen this year

It just seemed like the right thing to say to someone who doesn't like nerds and nerd humor. The book is funny and you'd have to read it to understand why. I hate nerds as much as the next guy.

games are life, but with low risk and high reward, quick and quantifiable success and sense of progress, nonjudgmental npcs and other emotionally distant people
to play is to live, to compete, to fight against time, to fight against others, to fight against the world, to learn and master different mechanics and systems, to survive nightmares and delight in fantastical dreams, to listen to stories and make your own

creation is divine. recreation is fun

That's some "I'm a gamer, not because I have no life, but because I have many"-tier bullshit.

All said if you guys wanted entertainment for people of above average intelligence you wouldn't be here anyway.

In the 1990's, video games weren't as common in every home. Back then, it wasn't something every home worked into their budget and there were still a lot of parents who chose not to buy their kids any games. And really, among both conservative and liberal households, parents and authority figures were the enemy of the average gamer. Liberal democrats thought video games degraded women and encouraged violence in schools. Conservative, evangelical Christian parents thought games like Doom were Satanic. And teachers thought video games were a waste of time that took kids attention away from books. So for a lot of kids and teenagers and young men, video games became an important part of their rebellion against overbearing parents and small-minded educators and in some cases were a part of their greater "drop-out" lifestyle. There was always a mass consumer element to games, but one thing companies like Nintendo and Sony have learned the hard way is that often times, it's that subculture of obsessive fanboys and lowlifes with niche interests and too much free time and for whom gaming is more than just a weekend hobby that are the safety net when fickle casual consumers abandon you for the next cheap thrill.

The same thing happened with the anime industry in Japan where although there are some anime that appeal to broader demographics, for the most part, anime studios have to be sure to target reliable niche markets like children, otaku, fujoshis, etc.

It's a hobby that I take way too seriously for my own sake.

I suppose I can see where you're coming from but times have changed. Diversity is more important.

If I wasn't useless I wouldn't be playing videos games. I'd be making art or some kind of furniture or knicknacks.

Video games are meant as a situation a simulation of what men are supposed to be doing IRL but since men aren't allowed to be men anymore they simulate and invest all their manly dreams, ambitions, motivation, sexual needs, and energies it through vidya.

I play video games because it's the only mainstream hobby that I can really get into for any length. I've played games my entire life, and it's primarily what I do when I get home, but I don't let it take over my identity or anything, I try to lead a balanced life.

TV and movies are way too passive for me. I can sit down and watch stuff, but ever since I got rid of cable and don't have anything in the background, I've found that it never really had much of a place in my life to begin with. I still lurk a lot here, although I don't post as much as I used to because what the fuck is going on in here.

I just like exploring things - places, stories, mechanics, design, it's all interesting to me, and video games offers a very wide depth of material to check out. A lot of mainstream stuff is pretty corporate and sterilized, so I've been getting into older games more as time goes on, and it's a pleasure to see how things have changed, even if some of it was for worse.

Even if everything from here on is absolute shit, there's still tons of old games to play. And once in awhile something decent will release, likely Japanese in origin. So all is not lost. Just play pre-pozzed industry games whilst waiting for the scant new decent games.

Yeah, I understand that. Like I said, it's hard to have that attitude in an age when video games are just another form of entertainment, rather than something that is treated as a novelty by most people and as some kind of alternative lifestyle by a small group of devoted players.

Before, being a devoted gamer meant suffering being an outcast and widely regarded as either a loser or degenerate in the eyes of mainstream society, now everybody wants to be a "gaymer" and show off their nerd cred. The liberals who derided games for their political incorrectness, sexism and violence are now trying to subvert the medium from within. And the rise of genres like the modern military FPS to such a mainstay always reminds me of what Pliskin told Raiden about "war as a video game" being used to desensitize and make better soldiers, which is no doubt something being encouraged by certain pro-military elements.

I find solace however in the fact that casuals and normalfags who support these things will never become a steady reliable source of financial support for the industry and that the casual gamer market bubble seems to have finally started bursting

What makes you think that?

association does not an argument make

archive.is/FSyRF

The moral obligation of every card-carrying member of the patriarchy to do, we can't allow those women, or meat pigs as I usually call them, feel like they're allowed to have a safe space anywhere, even and especially in cyber meme space. The must harass and torment them all day until they, collectively, are broken and fall in line like the good little meat pigs they are.

"I make model sci-fi stuff, mostly cool looking robots and stuff". There, what was so difficult about that? If they press for details say "Model robots from movies and tvs, usually Japanese because that stuff is popular over there" and show them pictures from your phone. Unless you do a shitty job of making them then they should like them and all the detail work. If you're that ashamed of watching anime (which you should be to be quite honest with you) then play it off as "These Japanese cartoons always have the best model kits for some reason" which will make them think you don't care about the shows they're based off you just like the model kits they make of them.

This stuff.

It's the closest thing I'll get to being a superhero.

go back to Holla Forums yoda

console sales, including handhelds, are at all times lows across all three major companies and many casual gamers have moved on to mobile games and don't have the desire as much to buy an expensive optimized gaming console they might only play a few games on. Casuals as well don't really buy too many games in actuality. Somebody like myself has no problems buying and then proceeding play through 8 games in a month, with maybe half of those being relatively obscure weeb shit titles I bought for the dating sim elements and the 50 hours they could kill and the rest being follow-ups to franchises I maybe have played since I was a kid as they have always enabled my escapism. But casual console gamers these days will probably buy only a handful of games a year if that much, and usually it's just the latest Call of Duty or Battlefield or some over-marketed 7/10 AAA title or meme game that has to sell 8 million units worldwide just to break even and in the end the latest mobile phone or tablet game. The PC gamer world is a little different cause now everyone has a PC of some kind, which is why a low-end game like Minecraft is the best selling PC game

The Nintendo Wii was probably the last major console that was such a huge success among casuals (as a game console, rather than as a netflix box) and since then the casuals have been leaving and game companies have been forced to double down on getting money out of the groups of more dedicated gamers and hardcore fans of established intellectual properties.

Because I'm terrible at everything else, too afraid of failure to try anything, and it's the only thing that makes me forget how much I hate myself.

It helps distract me from my suicidal depression and lack of motivation to do anything about it.

its fun, nothing else is fun. live isnt worth living unless im having fun

Learning, perfecting, and testing. Every game does this: teaching a mechanic, or some form of interaction to the player. This is then used to test the player's skill and ability to learn/adapt. This is really obvious in games like Yoshi's Island or Super Metroid, but it's still there in most singleplayer games. There reaches a point where any game stops teaching and it becomes only testing raw skill, like in multiplayer games, or more arcadey titles like GTA.
Games are an outlet to learn and master a skill, and proper game design is just being a good teacher. Different games teach differently, sometimes forcing trial and error, sometimes through handholding. A game that does not teach or test is simply a toy, none of my interest

It's fun. More interactive than movies, books or TV. If I didn't have other hobbies, I would be suicidal like Holla Forums.

arent you Holla Forums?

The true mans path.

Looking back on my life, ever haunted by my spaghettis, spergouts and autismal failures, I think vidya was just the vehicle I chose to ruin it. It might have been something else if vidya didn't exist, but if vidya didn't exist it would have been a much worse existence.

What greater meaning is there than to be a hobby?
Is the simple joy of doing something with one's spare time not enough to justify a hobby?

Video Games are art only to the artists who made them

Video Games are toys only to the people who play them

Video Games are a way of life only to the people who let them be

I hope you liked my poetry Holla Forums

NOTHING , IT MEANS NOTHING

Vidya is the only cometition left in the world. Everything else is pozzed and either trannies invade and fuck it up, or everyone gets a participation prize.

It's escapism, plain and simple. I'm miserable and I've always been miserable and now I've got no future and no friends and no family left or anything. At least when I'm engrossed in a game I'm not thinking about any of that stuff.

It used to be a way for me to escape reality, but then SJWs took it from me.

I live for little other than my hobbies, so of course it's important to me.

Stop playing cucked current year games and get to the classics you fucking millenial. Wasted dubs

I just replay old games. A few build engine shooters and lots of emulation. I wish there was a better sourceport for Blood because I like it a lot but I feel like BloodCM didn't do it justice.

why are you lot always so bad at reading comprehension. is it something reddit does to you?

take this out. Makes you sound presumptuous.

Fun.

It's just a hobby that i've enjoying for the past 2 decades.

No because i'm not a pretentious faggot.

Simply say that you like to create small replicas from movies, anime, videogames, books, etc.

If you truly enjoy your hobby you shouldn't be caring about what others think about it.

There is thousands of great videogames in existence, stop wasting your time bitching about the current year releases and play the good ol games instead.

What did he mean by this?

Egg-Kin