GBA Thread

One of the best libraries of games, with plenty of action platformers and various turn based games. No matter what it was it also ran fast and fluidly.

What are some of your favorite GBA games? I just got an everdrive and I'm checking out all the ones I missed growing up.

Thanks for reminding me I need to replace my SP .

Sonic Advance 1 and 3, Mega Man Battle Network (everything except 4), Super Mario Advances are good games, Mega Man Zero series (4 is best), two great Metroid games, one of the best Kirby games (Nightmare in Dream Land is a watered-down Adventure port so give that one a miss unless you're curious or want Meta Knightmare), Final Fantasy Tactics as well as updated versions of every Final Fantasy up to 6 except for 3, Boktai, there's a fan-translation of the first Rhythm Heaven, Wario Land 4, Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, Summon Night Swordcraft Story, two great Zelda games, the list keeps going.

The launch games were good too.

SMB2, Castlevania, FZero

Definitely one of my favorites.

Fire Emblem, specially after getting this beast.

I was always partial to the action based games of it, due to how snappy and responsive most of them are. Listing ones I didn't see you list:
Astro Boy Omega Factor, Gunstar Super Heroes, Mario vs Donkey Kong, Sonic Advance 2.
Though it's not demanding, Drill Dozer is fantastic.
I've yet to get to Mario Golf, but Mario Tennis is fucking fantastic and really does a great job of crunching Power Tennis, down into the GBA.

I wasn't much for puzzle games with it growing up, but so far what I've played of Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo is great, though it is also just Puzzle Fighter, so not really exclusive.

And the list just keeps going. Something about this system, man, it's like now that devs finally had a handheld that could run games fast, they made everything fast.

Some of my favorite Gameboy Advance games would have to be:

Super Bust A Move
Sonic Advance series
Rayman: Hoodlums' Revenge
bit Generations - Soundvoyager and the other games in the series
Both Klona Games
The Hamatro games
Both Kriby Games

I actually never had gameboy advance as a child, instead my dad got visualboy advance in 2001 and kept updating the games and emulator.

Soundvoyager is the one where it was made so you could play it without looking at the screen, right?
How was that game?

That's something I miss, systems that didn't lag during loading screens or big areas

Play Batman Forever for the snes

Why aren't you learning Nipponese?

These were probably my most played games on the system.

Soundvoyager and Rhythm Tengoku were the first games I ever imported. Fucking loved them

That's a good point wi-Mega Man.
I guess I should clarify that it wasn't an inherent thing, there's plenty of shitty GBA game showcases to demonstrate it.
Rather, it was more there was an obsession with making games run buttery smooth and quickly, within a majority of the competent devs at the time.

Leave it to Treasure to make an Astro Boy game that's not only great (when previous attempts at Astro Boy were shit at best) but makes you feel nostalgic for shit you never even knew existed.

I first played the Japanese version back when an English release looked impossible. Even unable to understand the runes, the ending was fucking horrifying. Like holy shit, how bad did I fuck up that the entire Earth is on fire? What was that giant skull thing? What did I do to piss it off? Just damn
And then the Phoenix shows up

The English version was made significantly more challenging compared to the Japanese original. English easy is slightly more challenging than Japanese hard, and English hard is fucking brutal.

That must be why I sucked at that game so much.

Hard mode on that game makes Astro feel so wimpy, you wonder if he can even beat a 10 year old kid.

no shame in playing on easy mode in that one

the giant size and miniature size enemies are unique to the English version as well. IIRC Pook has more forms in his chapter 2 fight too

The sprite work man. That's why I love it. The developers for it really worked on creating good looking sprites. Something that was lost when the DS came out and games moved to 3D.

Astro's great as well.

Pokemon Emerald is still my favorite Pokemon game. Too bad I don't have Emerald anymore, but I have both Sapphire and Alpha Sapphire.

I grew up on emerald, ORAS was the biggest fucking disappointment of my life.
I expected it to top HGSS, but no. It's worse than Leafgreen/Firered

I still don't know how they managed to fuck up OR/AS. There's so much potential, and it's all wasted. It was enough to make me look back and reconsider how much of the series was actually good and what parts were trash.

she died in the 1980 anime and Astro replaced his legs with hers so she'd always be close
Tezuka could be kind of a freak

I was expecting you to disagree, it feels good having comfort in other people with standards. Thank you user.

My guess is by the time they finished X/Y, they were all tired out from making everything in 3D that they decided to "trim the fat" from ORAS to the point where the game is pretty much the original 2 with MEGA evolution slapped on it. Thankfully, I never bought it. My purchase doesn't matter anyways, when a bunch of nostalgia blind fanboys will gobble that shit the fuck up like fat chicks on thanksgiving day.

How do you go from the progress Platinum/HGSS/Black2White2 was making to a game that feels shallow and almost generic, not even SuMo satisfied me completing it, I'm fucking heartbroken. I don't know what happened between the transition between B2W2 and XY, but I'm not very happy about it.
I'm not even looking forward to the next region at this point. Fuck.

Not to mention how excited I was when looking at XY. It still hurts to this day, I let the "hype" drown me and look what I get out of it.

Gen 6 as a whole was trash, and gen 7 is continuing the same mistakes

There's like 4 frames of animation in that entire gif.

I feel like every user here has learned not to fall for hype for anything ever, and that lesson usually comes with one really dissapointing game. For me, it was Gen 6.

I agree that Gen 6 was absolute trash, but I'll say that I liked Gen 7 more than Gen 6.

Tezuka made furfag comics and a seinen with 2 fags, one of them being a serial killer that murdered women he seduced, because he was trying to be hip and edgy.

You say that as if FRLG were bad.

Shit hardware holding a lot of good games hostage doesn't equal good platform.
GBA is garbage and every single good game released on it would be better on a real console.
I fucking hate nintendo.

post judgement

Someone never had a GBA.

Yeah a bunch of emucucks praising shit handheld itt.

Wonderful.
It makes me a bit sad how off-looking the overworld models in Dark Dawn look compared to the spritework in the originals. Then I get even more sad when I realize we'll never see a completion to DD's sequel-bait ending.
Now post Catastrophe.

Catastrophe a shit
t. Charon

Indeed it's pretty nice overall, except 2 major issues: the audio is pretty crap, and the lack of backlit screen made it a real pain to play in some places. Shame ergonomics died with Nintendo after that point.

The sp had a backlit screen. Eventually i got a ds and played my gba games on that. GBA was a good system with alot of good games.

Got to split these up because of filesize. Damn gif is inefficient.

I'm going to see if newer mGBA revisions fixed webm recording not working for 8ch.

My R button still makes cracking sounds from Drill Dozer

The SP is also a blocky piece of shit like the DS and 3DS. I used to use one of those stupid light attachments on my GBA.

Nope, still complains about webms and I'm not recording everything as an MP4 and hand converting it.

Also: Reminder than if a new 黄金の太陽 isn't announced at E3, Dawn Dawn will have gone without a sequel announcement longer than The Lost Age did.

SP had a frontlit screen till the later models.

GBA's had the fortune of being roughly a handheld SNES in an era where we still weren't afraid to try lots of experimental stuff and the hardware offered a phenomenal amount of freedom while simultaneously forcing enough restrictions that you could be creative.

it still confuses me why people want the series continued after TLA. The story ended at TLA pretty well it didn't need to be continued. Dark Dawn is evidence of that since it's a really good example of an unnecessary rehashy sequel.

Soundvoyager is pretty great. The music is great and it uses 3D sound to great effect. Just when playing it, use a working pair of headphones or earbuds or else the game won't work well.

I used to have a lego model that I built of the ship from the first game and I forced my siblings to pretend to bring the enemies I built towards me as I fly the ship with my hand around dodging and shooting the enemies down. I even made up my own type of enemies that weren't in the first game.

GBA is better emulated. Small screen size doesn't make it justice.

The GBA and DS both had such amazing libraries, that I've been considering ways I might preserve a library of their games by stashing them in a safe or some kind of shielded container (with backup batteries and a solar charger) so they might survive an EMP attack or something of that nature, so in the event of an awful, apocalyptic situation where I can't run out the last of my days shitposting on Holla Forums, I can at least play some of the best handheld games.

I want all kids to die

This sounds like the comfiest apocalypse

I'm just starting Moon right now, and i haven't played any Gen 6 or 7 games. Should i play with or without the exp. share? 50% xp to each party member seems like it would make the game too easy.

Best Fire Emblem game
Stick with it and you'll (likely) love it to death.

It does, but I only ran through the story to make a team. It was relatively fun, since I had a pre-bred huge power maril that trounced totem mons. The big problem is the inability to go back to islands that you're finished with.

The only real perk to sun/moon are the pokegirls
lana is best

I'm slowly loading up a 4tb external drive with emulators, roms, emulators, and assorted other media. I'm thinking of it like my retirement plan. Enough shows and music and books and games to play to while away years of time at practically no cost to myself. However, recent talk of EMP attacks and a wild theory that the Norks aren't planning on bombing us, but setting up a low-orbit nuclear detonation to EMP our infrastructure has got me thinking about setting up some means of keeping games available and playable in a worst case scenario.

I can stockpile enough food and water, easily, but setting up a way to keep vidya playable for a year or two without a power grid.. That's tricky.

M-discs in a faraday cage?

Lead-lined laptop case full of microSD cards.

The answer is actually pretty obvious.
Look at the times Game Freak has made really good games. Not just the main installments in Pokemon, shit like R&S Pinball, Drill Dozer, and Pulseman.

Those were games Game Freak wanted to make.
The weak installments in the series are games Game Freak had to make (D&P, X&Y, etc)

May as well just build a whole fallout shelter if we're breaking out the concrete..

I already beat it, sadly I lost the game along with most of my GBA cartridge collection, but I have an emulator on the phone to play it again someday.
I loved getting crits.

I'm sorry user
you can get it from Memestop for like 20 bucks if you're desperate, but a phone emulator should work fantastically; that was how I played it for the first time myself

Pretty much everything worth playing has been mentioned already. The rest are snes remakes (if it wasnt for the gba's poor quality sound chip most of them could replace the originals), superstar saga, amazing mirror, red rescue team, minish cap, then some yugioh/dragon ball/medabots if you're into that. There's even a shrek smash clone

Where did you get these? I try to save all every time I see someone post them but I only have a handful of summons

Get a ds if you really want to (I imagine the original ds will be really cheap and the price wont be inflated yet for muh nostalgia unlike the gba) but phone emulation works perfectly well. Having save states is specially useful for FE when a unit dies after a hundred turns into the game

Also while on the subject of good GBA games this one is pretty good.

My first flashcard was for the GBA, using it with the GameBoy Player for those awesome Castlevanias was great.

I really like how the NPCs in TLoZ: games kind of swap their stances back and forth really quickly. I wish I could do that in real life

I have a PSP 1000 with GBA and SNES emulator. Works like a charm and packs enough power for quite a while. Nice responsive gaming, and with a card that is big enough you can put every game you ever wanted on there.

I found pic related far better minus Roy being a piece of fucking wood

Bruh

play without the exp. share if you want any kind of challenge.

He's shitposting, ignore him

mGBA has a built in gif maker for reasons I don't understand in the slightest.

Except for Ridley in Metroid Fusion

More like no matter what it played it fucked up the audio quality.

Huh. Well can you post all the gifs you've made, or the 100% unlock rom you're using to make them myself?

oh the dream

Story time.

True, getting a character to level 200 is a hassle, and in the end, every character has the same build, but it's still fun to play.

I tried to get the Kikuichimonji once, weeks grinding fenrirs for nothing.

Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Yu-Gi-Oh Ultimate Masters 2006
Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Academy GX

And pic related.

Phone emulation for gameboy advance is pretty great, just make sure to use Retroarch with the mGBA core and use a device with a screen that has 59.9 or 60 hz screen update or else the experince will suck.

Don't use a mediatek device, use a device with snapdragon or intel chipset for best results.

Great controllers to use for phone emulation are Moga Hero or Pro Power, Gamesir controllers, certain Ipega models, DS3 &4, logitech gamepads, or Sminiker controllers.

Best device to play gba games that isn't the real thing are either GPD XD, Android Phone, injected gba vc on 3DS, modded PSP, or DS lite with gba everdrive or Ez Flash 3-in-1 slot 2 expansion card.

Was the translation ever finished?

summon night is under rated and battle network gets more shit than it deserves.

Speaking of summon knights swordcraft stories it looks like the 3rd ones english patch will be done soonish. Don't wanna get my hopes up as its been cancelled like twice already but hey.

…that legit looks fun….if only battery life was good and performance was optimized so i didnt end up holding a chunk of roiling magme.

There's one thing that I don't like about retroarch, it doesn't add romhacks to the game list. So I have to manually search for the roms or find them on the recently played list.

To fix that issue you have to make your gamelist, which is easy but annoying for every added rom.

How to decompile GBA games?

Gamefaqs has plenty of end-game saves mGBA can import. I doubt you could navigate the Nipponese version anyways.

As for the others, I think this is the only one I have that I didn't post. Mostly just doing requested shit.

I'm retarded, what's the optimal to play GBA games on an emulator? Is it really nothing, no additional settings required, just play out of the box? I've noticed when playing castlevania aos and hod that the colors looked terrible, whereas circle of the moon's colors were okay. I assume this has to do with the GBA's screen or something and it being obviously different from a computer monitor, because apparently people complained that cotm was too dark for the GBA but the other castlevanias weren't

Older games targeted the OG GBA's screen, which wasn't lit, so colors tend to be oversaturated on emulation. Retroarch has a really nice shader preset to simulate the old screen (on which newer games look nice on as well, I think) in the handheld folder of the shader pack. mGBA and VBA standalone offer color correction options as well, I think.

thanks a lot man.

Assembly. It will take you probably only 10 years to be good enough

I dont really get the gpxd. On one side its portable but clip gamepads for phones also are a thing and nowaday phones are good at emulation.

On the other they can be a small PC. But at that ridiculous price you can actually get a notebook that will probably perform better.

It seems their only use would be for people that absolutely needs to play some PC platformer/VN/Jrpg game at all times or that really spend too much time outside.

kill yourself

The charts lack:
Chu Chu Rockets
Bomberman Tournament
Nip Phoenix Wright (even though the DS version is superior)
Crash Bandicoot the Tiny Huge Adventure

Sun/moon is actually decently challenging if you don't use all the hidden easy mode features.
First of all don't use pokemon refresh. Not only does it give something like a 1.2x esp multiplier, it gives +1 evasion (same effect as bright powder), +1 crit rate (super luck), chance to avoid any ko (focus band), chance to recover from stats (shed skin) and probably more effects I'm not remembering. It just gives way too much and in my opinion should only ever be used to get sylveon.
Second, don't use the exp share. It's not nearly as bad as it was in gen 6 but will still overlevel you. Though near the end the levels spike up so it's worth using just to reduce grinding time.
By far the biggest thing however, is changing battle mode to set. This has been in the options menu since gen 1 and no one ever fucking nentions it, but not getting a free favourable switch on KO changed the dynamic and makes it an actual game. If you find yourself in an unfavourable match up vs something your pokemon can't hurt and your only counter is fast but frail and can't take a hit, you need to either let your current pokemon faint to get your counter in safely, sac one of your other pokemon or using things like slow u-turns and shit. It encourages you do have a good type variety and a decent defensive core of slower bulky pokemon that can tank hits as opposed to 6 glass cannons with perfect tempo.
Finally, be reasonable with wonder trade. Generally anything you get off WT you shouldn't use directly, but get some breeding leftovers and it makes a great start if you plan on doing that yourself. Since you actually care about team comp now, utility and a wider variety of offensive moves are important so breeding may actually be worth your time. You don't have to go all out though, ability/moves and nature should be enough, IVs and EVs aren't nessecary.
Suddenly, pokemon is a modestly challenging and atcually fun game with no dumb romhacks required. Who would have thought?

favorite game forever.

Because I'm not a fucking weeb fag?

The Doom port had some issues - and green blood…

But everything in Sun/Moon is slow

this game is pure gold

Sugar is okay. Rasho is where it's at.

Good thing they let you choose summon in the sequel, and that they all had a different personality.

Plenty of DS games still used spritework. You're thinking of the 3DS.

Metroid zero mission and superstar saga are pretty dope.

riviera the promised land is pretty good.