Boss fights

So what boss fights do you think are the best?

Which has the best challenge, best theme, best location, best design, best story tied to it, best move set, best moments during it.

I am immediately reminded of my hatred for Bosses which are just giant stationary enemies with huge attacks thanks to your image.
I mean its not always trash but it would be nice to shake things up.

-Armstrong
-Erginus
-Birdo
-Chaos Daemon Prince

Play better games faggot

That actually looks like a very cool boss fight.

What did you mean by that?

I freaking love this (final) battle from the Shinobi reboot for the PS2.

It's pretty much the guy from the tower of the Gods in Wind Waker/Minish Cap

For my own thread I guess I'll say bass from the Battle network series, now these games most of the time are pretty easy but the bass fights are a good few steps in difficulty you're better off saving before and reloading after you win so there's something still in the game to do.
Breaks panels, has attacks that spread across the entire field, disk attacks that give you a moment to figure out which of 3 ways they'll go across your field, sometimes just has a field nuke requiring a barrier or shield prog or you could lose right there.
Just mechanically everything they've taught you to watch out for is in this fight and paired with how he usually has 1600-1800+ HP in version 1 (usually they have 3 scaling in power versions) and usually a regenerating aura 100 (so he can only lose his shield with an attack 100+ in damage and this shield comes back)
Only negative is the edgy design I guess.

Aren't bosses supposed to look evil?

I think there a boss like that in Crash Twinsanity.

Like compare it for the original base.
Now he has a cloak, glowing red eyes, dark aura (on top of the aura that's the aura chip) floats around and turns his hands into a virus cannon and he has daddy issues because of course he does
In the manga he even makes a 180 on his attitude because a god of Holla Forums Undernet came to him in a dream and told him to stop being an edgelord.

Asura's Wrath thread?

I can see what you are getting at now, thanks for clarifying that.

I really enjoy boss fights that feel like a duel. Sam from MGR is one example which I thought was a great fight. Fighting Artorias from DaS with a fast 2 handed weapon is also one of my favorites.

Sam was pretty underwhelming as far as boss fights go.

It's fun. You can make it harder if you don't use Sundowner's weapon.

The second Deus is my favorite.

Zero in Megaman X2 can be really fun once you got a hand on the mechanics. All of his attacks can be dodged and it all feels smooth and acrobatic in a way.

Embed related. The original Art of Beating Zero was taken down so you only get tributes ;_;7

Name-wise, I think few games can beat the Souls franchise and Revengeance.
I mean, Artorias, the Abysswalker sounds pretty badass. The Dirty Colossus (even though the boss was shit). Jetstream Sam, Sundowner etc.

There are a few that I can think off which are just as good like MGS3, ZOE2, Shinobi reboot, Shadow of the Colossus and Alien Soldier.

These 2 are great if you play melee only, no shield. Penetrator is kind of easy but his design and moveset are really cool.

What a bastard. Took me a lot of tries.

That was the best boss from Skyward Sword.

>

I hate it. He's a god damn pain. During the first phase of the fight, he's invulnerable while he randomly teleports around the stage and throws magic at you, which just means that your attacks mean nothing and the entire first phase is just a big waste of time, and his bastard hellspawn are so small that it can be difficult to consistently hit them, which is annoying. That doesn't matter, though, because his RNG moveset, coupled with the amount of animations that grant him invulnerability, and the limited amount of effective attack time, make setting up an opportunity to even attack him more tedious than it should be. You need to get tate to even damage him; you need to chain kill his hellspawn within a certain time frame in order to build up tate; you need to be able to backstab him with your charged up sword when he's vulnerable, and that can't happen if he randomly decides to be a bitch and begin a special-snowflake-you-can't-hurt-me animation just as you decide to attack.

This boss requires a lot of patience, because it's not enough to just know his patterns. You not only have to know his patterns, but you also have to be able to predict what he's about to do to some degree, so that you can time your chain kill in accordance with his random behavior, so that you'll have an opportunity to strike when he's vulnerable. Since his attacks are random, it's impossible to know what he's going to do at any given time, which means that your decision making is based on a dice roll.

About to make me want a PS3 again.

I love Shinobi not only because it's a smooth controlling and incredibly stylish game but because it makes autists like you write an entire wall of text about how you got your ass handed, wunderbar.

translation: "hurr I have no argument by which I can defend this poor excuse of a boss fight, and I am fine with taking cocks up my asshole"

what a fag.

Translation "I cant get good"

Instead of being an insufferable faggot, why don't you explain what you liked about this boss? You just say, "I love this boss" but that means nothing. If not, well I can't say I'll be surprised if you shit out another useless quip.

Your posts mean nothing to me, get good or get out. ;)

you're a shit, I hope you know that.

Fag.

Oh, shit.
BOLETARIAAAAAA!

Not sephiroth level but still amazing.

Remember these, user?

Controversially I think Nightmare in DMC1 is a good boss fight.

Man, I loved bayo1 when I played it a few years ago. I might pirate it and see how it plays on the pc.

After you free Biorr, you have to return to the Nexus and return to the zone for him to assist you, right? I remember freeing him, but I've never had him assist me. I'm kind of glad that's the way it worked out for me in my first playthrough.

I was implying those were examples of bad large-enemy boss fights. Second to Fortitudo and Jeanne, Jublieus is probably one of the better fights in the game, honestly, it's not as frustratingly bad or boring as something like Iustitia.

Do it faggot

I really liked the father Baldier fight. It was a small person fight but everything around it made it so fucking good. By the third phase my dick was diamonds by how well that fight was made.

I remember doing that fight, I had 99 magic (so highest magic defense) and Ice resistance vs his final phase being ice attacks, my partners died and if I revived them they instantly died, so for about an hour just on the last phase I kept poking at him with almighty magic till I eventually won.
I had no patience to play DDS 2, I thought 1 was so much better.

What are all these small time bosses?

That might be why that game fell apart for me. The entire game and series shows that humans are just as shitty as the demons while being as manipulative as the angels and she has the gall to say that humans try their best? Talk about treating the exception as the norm!

So what makes this boss good, from the demo I didn't see the game being that much fun.

lel

why did they use shit from OOT if it's a reference to SS? sorry OP, I couldn't contain my autism

I remember seeing this image a very long time ago before skyward sword, I think Zelda actually having a boss like that later was a happy accident.

These webms make me feel bad, like how could someone have fun from pressing a single button over and over. I hate how to feel like I have to play fighting/rhythm games to feel like every button is worth it's salt in the game.

Why not watch the boss fight and judge? It's mildly entertaining.

Those ice parts where seriously bullshit. Oh, you got hit once? Have fun being stun locked.

Gehrman is a mixture of all those things, he's one of the more difficult base game bosses, his music is awesome, the location is beautiful, his design is really cool, his story is sad and interesting, his moveset is baller, and his movements are neat - he even hobbles due to his peg leg

The problem with boss fights is that games have shitty AI most of the time, so lazy devs like the japanese just put an enemy spamming a sequence of attacks that you have to memorize.

The best boss fights are when the boss is just a commom enemy that doesnt fuck around and will hunt your ass and kill you dead at the first mistake you make

Both No More Heroes were fun games with lot of memorable and fun bosses.

There aren't enouth bosses in modern games.

you can retell it a thousand times, but the fated duel between strong men is tough to top

Everything here is based on the video you just handed me.
Now they're flying
This shouldn't even pass for an early boss fight, let alone the final.

shitty webm for ants aside, hows that any worse from pressing "attack" and watching the same animation over and over and over and over?

I think the Ace Combat games had the best boss fights, along with the best themes to go with them.

Because this attack is even doing the spacing for you, too far away no worries I the game will run up to the target for you and do the full combo.
Like compare this with NMH which I also think is very bare bones with it's combat, that has a single "Attack button" But had 2 stances high and low and also forward and back variations of it allowing for 6 varied methods of attack that would cover different AOE's and Distances as well combined with how enemies block being based on on which stance the "Attack" took place in.
Then move onto NMH2 where it added multiple weapons that also followed these rules leading to the move-set being above doubled.
FF15 has so many weapon types beyond sword but in the end it comes down to 1 button one input without much room for variation outside of this weapon simply outs this enemy. (from the final boss just shown giving you more then one type of input might actually be OP)

It's not that you press attack, you press attack to deal damage when the time is right. Sometimes you need to use an item, or sometimes you need to heal, or sometimes you need to cast a spell. Mindlessly attacking and only attacking will only end up killing you in a good RPG. It's about taking your time to come up with a strategy and overcome the enemy's strengths while pinpointing weaknesses of the enemy team and basing your gameplay style and strategy around that. Then you also get rad as hell music and generally really cool story and fucking way past tubular atmosphere, and it's honestly something great. The JRPG is an amazing genre and it's a shame that it's been watered down and corporatized so damn much, in terms of Final Fantasy. XIV had the right idea but they need to put work into the turn-based JRPGs in the series as well

You both are casual faggots. You are Aware if you wear the Ice Skates, Ice floors do not Damage you. If you wear Fire Durga Shoes, Lava does not Damage you.

Coincidentally, Electric Durga Shoes are only useful on the Airplane and I think against Grace and Glory in terms of negating electric foot damage.

It's a boss in skyward sword

No, I was not aware because I didn't like the ice-skate foot weapon because I didn't care for it.

if there was one thing I enjoyed about DeS, it was this boss fight

How about the second-to-last Anubis fight? The one in the portal tunnel. That was murderously hard, but fun.

Now with music.

Let me guess, are boss fights too "Video gamey" for you?

Now now we shouldn't be so quick to disregard our friend 6240d6's input. Sometimes this """boss fight""" as you say, can negatively impact the cinematic story experience vital to the final interactive cutscene climax.

I actually gave on him, one of the few times a boss has ever beaten me.

Try the last fight in the european version, it's not much easier.

ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP
ROUND TRIP

Ah Azel! I hated that fucker especially on Hard mode as you literally had to guess, pause and guard break his block whilst avoiding him using his God Hand(Devil Hand) Roulette techniques. I mean he was annoying but that fucking Sensei takes a close 2nd.

AIR RAID
AIR RAID
AIR RAID
AIR RAID
AIR RAID
AIR RAID
AIR RAID
AIR RAID
AIR RAID

The idea of a character whose design and personality is based off a sword is cool as hell.

The Balance Elemental from Runescape, unironically. The quest is a gigantic buildup towards it, the music is fantastic. And you need to fight it with 3 different styles of weapon, and protect yourself against those same 3 styles.

Manga Bass gets a nice "fuck you" with his AbilityGet program not having any relatively defined limits, I remember he flat-out copied Hub Style after a big spiel about how it was born of brotherly bonds and other stupid shit. Oh, and that he's the only "true" Mega Man in Battle Network's entirety since he can actually copy powers instead of getting them temporarily via chips.

I enjoyed the manga passed this odd power level scramble.

>tfw it was only on Adults
I have a long way to go before I have truly gotten good, but I can begin to taste it.

I beat both games on Ultra V-Rated. Really the hardest part is that enemies don't have the skulls when telegraphing their attack, meaning that you will have to pay closer attention when the enemies telegraph their attacks. It's really fucking satisfying to play on Ultra V-Rated.

OBLIGATORY METAL GEAR RISING POST

wew

Were you listing off good or bad bossfights? I've always found Erginus pretty underwhelming.

It's not much of a game, it's really more of an interactive anime, but every "boss fight" Asura's Wrath is in one of my top 20 favorite video game moments, the last 2 in the DLC alone singlehandedly composing half of my top 10 favorites.

The 360 version has less screen tearing, so you should play that version

I love boss fights that don't give you time to breathe and are just a desperate onslaught of dodging and counterattacking. Galaban and Chester 2 from Oath in Felghana absolutely satisfied that. Also The Flame's fight from Furi's DLC got really close.
Bernard's fight from the same DLC however, was perfect.

Just fought him, his S-Craft is fucking sweet. Pretty much the same as Rufus and Jusis'.

user, that was a hentai crop I made, that has nothing to do with ColdSteel.
Although I forgot what I cropped it from, so it might be a hentai doujin

That's Phillip from Trails in the Sky, he's a fairly powerful boss in the TiTS the 3rd. He fights using the same school of fencing as the Albareas and has a similar S-Craft. Also, a really sweet boss theme.

Every weapon in the game has a very good use for specific enemies or circumstances. The Shotguns stagger Grace and Glory and their higher forms for example.

Shame it sucked regardless.

I think Yakuza 0's final boss is a pretty good test of what the player's learned over the course of the game. He has three phases that mirror your own three styles and is much more aggressive than most other bosses in the game save for the penultimate boss. Other things that make it so good:
And some other stuff.

Such a terrible fight, honestly just felt like a somehow worse version of the Savior from DMC4.

Most of what I like about Yakuza 0's final boss can be said for the penultimate boss too.

I love these autistic fake-boss pictures. Anyone have any more?

Sure

Gunstar Hero game where you can play as Green never ever

A guy I dated in high school actually bought one of those ridiculous organization coats. Yes, he was a massive autistic faggot, but he a qt sometimes trap.

Bahamut was a thematically excellent boss.

Kill yourself faggot.

Blogpost somewhere else.

He can't belly flop like me which was his and all others downfall

I like your selection here. But my only problem was pic one. No not the first fight, but you have to fight him like 4 times. And the last fight with him is a turret section if I remember.

Jesus christ FUCK that verse. I don't know how the fuck you're supposed to avoid damage in that one on the higher difficulties. I keep spamming his face with projectiles as quickly and accurately as possible and I still can't interrupt that last beam attack he does.

You're fighting his underlings in that if I recall. And they're nerfed to fuck and treated as mini-bosses. I remember you can kill them faster through some combo's or a certain weapon but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Even Kamiya admitted that the entire incredibly was very difficult. But it makes sense because it's the final chapter with Verses so it would be hard.
You mean the one you have to get off the gun for because it destroys it? There's 2 turrets, he destroys 1 and you move on to the next Otherwise if I'm wrong then try getting off the turret for a few seconds when you see it coming to dodge it.

one of my favorite boss fights from my childhood

Nope, he destroys the first turret with a punch, he does the beam attack towards the end of that second phase. I tried getting off the turret and running away but it has a huge area of effect.

I might be remembering it wrong then. I vividly remember being able to dodge anything with him. Bat Within helps for this probably. I'm sure it's possible. Maybe staggering him when he builds the charge by firing like a mad man?