Online games only you played

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/groups/ANPA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Nigga everybody played Gunz back then.

I've never seen a post about it, I thought it was one of those obscure online games.

I don't know why I dumped so much time into this shitty p2w game instead of the much better shooters it was trying to copy. Although it was a shitload of fun when it was still in beta.

F2P games in a nutshell

My fucking nigger. Bought that in a best buy for about $3 and got a bunch of free unlocks and bonus stuff. It was actually really fun before Nexon went full jew and made the grind 10x worse than it needed to be.

It's dead now and that sucks.

This phrase applies to so many fucking games.

i was so excited when someone started setting up a private server, but it turned out to just be a membership fee scam.

though not for long because it was shit

I liked the soundtrack, the high-quality models and the fact that you could create your own 3-man party composition which you could change on the fly. Unfortunately even with the auto-attack it was still an incredibly grindy experience, as is typical of gook MMO's.

At least it's getting a sequel that on a platform that japs actually own, so the online can survive this time. It's also coming to the PC.

You'll cowards don't even k-style. Also last I knew there was a few private servers for Gunz with custom maps but everyone on them is absurdly good. I believe one is FGunz.

Wells of Souls. The only MMORPG in that you can play as free flying wizard soul in the form of your waifu.

As for an online game only I played, Age of Time. Grappling hook was fun

I've been thinking of this game but I forgot the name of it. Shame, I really would've liked to try it again.

REMINDER, Maiet Games is fucking retarded.

REMINDER, K-stylers are literal autists who think carpel tunnel is worth it if it means beating a couple 13 year old Russians.

His lego clone was better. Too bad he fucked it up in an update and then abandoned it though.

they really need to port the ps3 version to pc, or make a new one :(

The most fun I ever had playing this game was in the noob ranks where nobody had shit. I basically just hovered around the bottom tiers with the knife character and learned how to time and use the dash attack to absolute perfection pissing every other player off to no end.

Those were good times.

I've never even heard of it.

well fuck you

everybody I knew did at least

Reminder that k-style was the cancer that ultimately killed the original Gunz.

shitposting aside, i dont disagree. the besics were pretty easy but some of the more advanced techniques were pure autism for sure

It was pretty fun tbh

Nigger, it was the only reason it lasted as long as it did. The core Gunz game was boring trash.

They aren't wrong about K-style, though. It was a glitch and while it was cool it should have stayed exclusive to Gunz 1. The execution was ridiculous, and when you mastered it you essentially had flyhacks. It also cut weapon variety down, to the point where everyones loadout was shotgun/magnums/sword, with 1 or 2 assholes using Rocket/Rocket/sword.

Buuttttt then even after they fixed it, Maiet ruined everything else about Gunz 2 so you're right for the most part. Making the classes "more unique" (as if tank/dps/melee are unique archetypes) killed balance and dumbed down the customization and overall weapon variety.
The cash shop bullshit never helps either. I hate korea, maybe after WWIII they'll get nukt so someone competent can take over the IP.

Thing is, it only "lasted" that long because there was a handful of autists that never got bored of it, beyond that small group there was no one playing the game normally and all new players were instantly blown off by the k-style fags.
You could argue that the autistic community is what kept it alive but by the point k-style was practically mandatory the game was already dead, there were virtually no new players and normal people eventually got bored of playing on the same map against the same people with the same weapons and doing the same thing as everybody else. Gunz is perfect example of what a stale meta can do to a multiplayer game.
Pretty much the only way you could find enjoyment in the game at that point is if you were there when k-style first started showing up and you managed to learn it alongside the other players on your server.

I liked k-style as much as the next guy but it killed any and all variety the game could ever hope to have and it created a community of autists that would throw a fit as soon as they saw some guy with the default SMGs.
When the game reached a point were everyone was flying accross the map using their sword and shotgun, it was already dead.

I thought K-style was pretty cool, it made me feel like I was actually fighting in one of my japanese animes. I didn't play Gunz 2, they should have built the core gameplay around the expectation that players will K-Style, just make it so you don't have to press 30 buttons to do it, only like… 15 buttons.

You guys keep talking about K style like it was completely stupid which it was , but does anyone here remember E-Style? What the fuck was that again?

Used to play this and Coke Music a ton as a kid.

fuck yeah exteel! I'm so glad people remember this game

did anyone here play dragon's prophet? I feel bad that it closed as fast as it did, it was pretty interesting with some of the mechanics

I could never find anyone to play with when I tried.

Habbo Hotel.

Most chanfags only know it from the le epic Holla Forums afro raids, but I played it years before that.

A lot of memories as a young teen.
Falling Furni games, getting scammed, dancing and trying to hook up with girls, role-playing as a Mafia or military member, there was so much left to the imagination and you had those rich HC subscribed faggots with their unique hair styles and clothes.

There was all sorts of great rooms, even Pokémon RP. The richest people with a lot of furniture made gigantic interconnecting rooms to form a MMO world or some shit. I loved doing mazes or kick wars as well.

A lot of shit you could do, or just plain chill out, grab some coffee or icecream and chat in a comfy room.

i thought this was haydee from the thumbnail

:^)

I got a used controller and game for like $30, set it up all hype, go online, there's one game.

The guy apparently just sits there all day waiting for people to come on, he invites me to a party, ecstatic to run into someone else playing the game, he claims he's going to show me the ropes and teach me how to play since I didn't have the glorified tutorial single player game.

He proceeds to wreck me over and over and laugh maniacally as I puzzle over how the fuck to do anything. Eventually I realize that the controller is actually broken. Both joysticks are grindy and sit limp when they're supposed to spring back to neutral. Took that shit back and got a refund.

I should add that the whole reason I got it was I was going to try and get it working on my PC to play MechWarrior with and shit, but I figured I'd give its intended game a shot. The controller was fucken sweet as all hell.

the joysticks aren't supposed to spring back to neutral, there is no resisting springs in them.

-t. someone who has used a dozen steel battalion controllers

you just need to get the "glorified single player" game and not line of contact.

then again, maybe stick to PC gaming.

They weren't? That faggot apparently lied to me about literally everything.

Are they at least supposed to stay where you leave them or something? They were all grindy and awful feeling, everything else was cool about it though.

Wait, you're that faggot I played with you aren't you?

It baffles me how every F2P beta starts out playable, even promising, and then every single time as soon as popularity peaks the devs immediately start fucking everything up. Every. Single. Time.

i often see people harp about how great this was, but i always had trouble finding games. dozens of servers, but only one was ever populated and it was always full.
the first one? i never had this problem.

god that was amazing
anyone play grand chase or rumble fighters?

To be fair to the Hawken devs, they were actually sued out of the game and that's why it went into hibernation for so long. Someone else has it now, and hasn't done well with it.

Hawken was bad from day 1 though.

Twisted Metal online didn't die because of the community, it died because the matchmaking was fucking broken and never fixed.

There was a game called Alien Arena. I only ever got to play with bots.

I used to think it wasn't possible for people with that level of incompetence to run and own a multi million dollar project. Hawken helped show me otherwise!

So you want to talk about games that are dead now? Because Gunz was pretty popular, if only for those autistic flying ballerinas thinking they're l33t faggots for mashing their keyboards like some chink playing Starcraft.

How 'bout this one. Remember her, Holla Forums? It still makes me sad.

Holy shit the salt from those fags. It was great, because I liked doing just that. The amount of times I got called a "spray and pray noob" are uncountable.

Shiiiiit I loved that song. The OST overall was bretty gud.

there was a group of anons who ran a private server here, not too long ago
was pretty fun

Yeah I saw the thread, but didn't bother since I heard it was a really small user-base. Are they still running it?

I tried joining them but they used Hamachi and for some fucked up reason it was disabling my router.

I expected some kind of complex mech simulator game and stuff, and instead got a straight up FPS from inside a cockpit.

Just like Tribes Ascend.

Maybe you started playing it too late ?
I played it back in 2008-2011 and had no trouble finding servers. The most popular maps were mos eisley and the death star

im talking like a month after release and giving up and going back to check after a few months to no avail.
i wonder what happened to cause a spike in popularity later on.

I've recently been playing this on Vita, the PSP version obviously.

Despite it's janky controls it's still a lot of fun, and fucking 60fps most of the time. Decided to give the whole set of the PSP Battlefronts a go and they've all got their strengths and weaknesses.

BF2 has the best performance, most units, most authentic experience probably, but it never had online, not that it matters since the online is shut down on the other two.

Renegade has the best visual presentation probably with a great field of view compared to the others and really clean textures/models but the gameplay is a bit limited and everything's kinda janky.

Elite is often claimed to be the best but it seems like it has the worst from all the worlds with the worst performance, worst visuals, worst field of view, requires you play its godawful as fuck campaign to unlock stuff, but it probably had the most content and best balance so I dunno

They're all pretty good, it's a shame we'll never get a remaster of them or anything.

I think they are
they had a fairly active discord iirc

I've always found it funny how those autists expect everyone to play by their rules and when you play the way the game was meant to be played and kill them without exploiting any glitches like they do, they rage and call you a "noob sprayer"

why would you just go on the internet and lie like that?

yea, i know. what's your point?

Are you gonna stab him with a knife or something?

maybe

K-styling was bullshit. it was a game bug that became a feature and then you couldn't play a single match without 1h swordfags with 200 ping flying and teleporting all over the fucking place. there was no point to using guns or dual swords anymore.

I really hope CNCnet brings that back, it's a fun little thing.

Don't remind me.

Yes, only you played a fucking online game. Those other players were all you too.

There was a time when Hawken was basically UT with mechs, then they started ruining it because fags didnt want to get gud or go fast

Like tears in the rain.

Battlefront 2 on PC is supported by Gameranger now, though dont know if anyone is playing it there either.

You mean you've never seen some faggot complaining about "muh sprayers" before? Killing k-style scrubs with an automatic gun is stupidly easy. There's a reason they even made up a word to call anyone who doesn't abuse shotguns like they do.

I don't know if I'm alone in this but I could never EVER get anyone I knew to play the DnD games with me.

pretty much this

REV UP THOSE ONRPG ACCOUNTS

Wonderland had a pretty cool thing going on with its turn-based combat and cutscene CGs that actually included your created character with detailed sprites (even if it was just a simple reskin).

OZ was irredeemable cosmetic chatroom filth with fishing as a gimmick. As a fishing fag in my younger days, I got suckered in. Never paid a cent to a cash shop in my life, though.

Thang and Knight were generic as fuck but if you needed an MMO fix back then and didn't want to spend money they were okay.

Dungeon Runners, despite being a 1:1 ripoff of WoW aesthetically and being comprised entirely of shitty fetch quests, was actually a pretty enjoyable diablo clone. Had a good amount of fun playing this with friends.

Man that was the shit. So many fun player-run mini games to win furniture. It's rare to see a game so community-driven nowadays.

I was also really partial to that game where you stood on a bunch of colored rugs which corresponded to a number. The GM rolled a dice and deleted the appropriately colored rug and If you ended up on the floor you lost.

These were both breddy gud, though I remember Soldier Front/Special Force being pretty glitchy.

that was a good summer

Also, MAIET is now bankrupt, possibly due to the major fuck up called GunZ 2.
Now another gook company, Masangsoft bought them.

I forgot its name but it was basically a Natural Selection clone done in Unreal engine. I swear the game's name was Arachnophobia but I can't find anything by that name

Knight online really was great for itching the MMO crave. If I remember correctly, the whole game was infested with Turkish players that openly used hacks that would just kill every monster around them, or maybe it was just Brazilians like always.

It was indeed filled to the brim with Turk faggots.
What's worse, nearly a year after I started playing they added a system where the game would kick you out at random if the servers were full and a Premium user wanted to get in. Then non-P2W faggots like me had to wait for minutes and keep trying to get back in. That shit instantly killed my interest for the game.

why

I remember an old friend of mine who ended up being a no fun asshole who hated losing had me play this with him a lot, then he'd get pissy and ban outright Armor, Bigfoot, and Aduka because he claimed they were overpowered and no skill mobiles

Then he had a bitchfit when I beat him with Grub and Ice once and I stopped playing with him shortly afterward because I just couldn't take that garbage anymore

Shit, this makes me want to get a group to play F-Gunz and only use SMGs, Rifles and Daggers

Except Tribes Ascend was never good.

Sad!

Played the fuck out of both of these in their day. 2000+ hours on each easily

S4 League was the shit. The most fun MMO I ever played with the amazing waifu characters and the shit underage community which allowed me to be a very good and respected player.

Chaser mode is the best gamemode I've seen in MMOs. Even when you were losing hard you had fun with your friends. I'm brazilian by the way.

Played from 2005-2007
I know its furry cancer but back in the day anyone played it not just homosexual animal people. I had so many good memories in this game i wish it wasnt cancerous or get even worse from where it was

i will always cherish those memories i dont give a fuck about how shit the community was an how worse it got

shit was magical back in the day

rp was fucking cancer

I know I'm not the only one who played this, but I kind of wish it was still around. It was way better than Habbo

you're not fooling anyone

No one even knows this, except for the few who played it.

Trying to remember the name of a game I played around 2006-2007, maybe someone on here knows what I'm talking about:

It was a free-to-play sci-fi MMORTS, you picked a faction (red/blue or green) and fought across a number of smaller maps connected to a larger overworld map. You could select up to 8 units to bring into each fight and combat consisted of capturing points across the maps.

I remember some of the units included a fast mech with a laser sword, a large battlecruiser-looking flyer and I think there was a generic, boxy-looking tank, among others.

Visually, it was isometric 2D with graphics that I think reminded me of Starcraft, but my memory may be off on that.

Online games get scattered to the winds, in the future they'll view it as a huge loss. Thanks for releasing server code when you take them down, devs.

I played Grand Chase briefly, also Elsword

I've never been able to get into 2D online games

It's really sad that most people don't know that heroes of newerth is actually a spin-off game of a much better series

Ah, never mind, found it - Shattered Galaxy.

I couldn't really get myself to like Elsword, but I really liked Grand Chase
kind of a shame those kind of died out

S3 Grand Chase was amazing, and then it got worse but also kinda better in some respects

S5 is absolutely shit and it pains me that most private servers like emulating that

ayyy savage was awesome. and yeah HoN is shit

my favourite online fps.

I'm probably not the only one who played this, but I played it on a chink server probably a decade ago. It had a small english community and there was no translation. I have a lot of fond memories of it.

I hopped back and forth between the US and EU servers once those came out. The US server came first and had a good amount of content but Nexon blocked IPs outside of the US after a while. Then they released the EU server a year or two after, which they shut down pretty quickly because of botters/cheaters and being way behind in content, really basic shit they could've taken care of had they cared. Nexon lifted the IP ban on the US server and simply said "lol just go play there fags". Also no character transfers or refunds for those who paid for cash shop shit.
When I tried that version again the community was fucking tiny and the amount of content in the game was insane, leading to a circlejerk of rainbow colored RPing anime faggots who were all max level. Starting out and trying to go through the content was impossible because everyone was so far ahead and nobody was around to actually play with.

I'll probably never get to play through the early content again, which is a shame because the game had a lot of cool design decisions put into it. It's pretty sad how short the golden age for most online games actually is, and that once the game dies it's all gone for good.

It really was glitchy. I remember people jumping off the map and getting free kills. It had shit anti-cheat too so shit like wallhacks were no surprise.

yeah I remember that. cunts would glitch through shit and be sitting in a black void with a PSG-1, which most times they wouldn't even use to rescue Meryl. Super satisfying to kill faggots who were trying to do it tho.

I'm sure other people here have played this, but I have yet to see anyone on Holla Forums mention this game. I barely remember it myself, seeing as it shutdown in about a year. Not sure if it died due to pay-to-win or if it was just shit.

a korean call of duty clone with announcers/characters that spoke english well, but just read the literal translations from korean to english so you'd get things like "mortar patrol of allies, take cover!" and shit like that. it was great fun, better balanced than any CoD game, better in all respects than any CoD tbh.

A cs clone that had one CBT test for NA in like 2008 and it was great. the guns had recoil, your gun would bloody up when you were on low health which was a new thing, headshots would restore health in tdm, the guns all sounded great… Pretty much all the F2P FPS games around the time CS was king were better thought out and more full-featured than counter-strike, but the f2p stigma killed literally all of them.

Also, anyone play Crossfire back then?

I did. But I live in australia so I never played it much since the lag was SO fucking bad. Fun game though.

Is a shame the game devolved into a retarded community that shamed anyone who actually used firearms effectively.

It was a blast, you ever got to play the Mutant Mode?
It was great.

yeah. every f2p fps has one, and the PVE ones are good when you don't NEED cash shop items to win (combat arms you do, or did, I havent played it in ages) but the pvp ones are always unbalanced messes.

Despite having only played the american closed betas for C21, it was quite fun playing it with the emphasis on PVE and being the prequel of cosmic break. As for Seal online, it had it's charm but I mostly hated it for being grindy and buggy as hell for some reason. It was also one of the first online games I had too much hype and got let down severely long time ago.

I remember a MMO back in the day which I think was translated from Russian or one of the european countries. The main thing about it was that the skill bar functioned like a combination lock, where if you pressed one skill it would shift to the next skill in the chain, so you could pull of some cool combos with an opener, a middle, and a finisher.

I only played it for about two weeks before it closed down. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Best online game coming through.
Out of my fucking way, peasants.

chronicles of spellborn

they really thought their whole spinning hotbar trick would kill WoW so they made it p2p with f2p production values and like 3 guys played it after it released.

It sucks that this didn't do well, it really impressed me how changing weapons usually had more of an impact than just dealing more damage; they behaved differently too.

you should check out what the community has been doing with it the past few years. theres a co-op mod in the works iirc

Holy shit, I played so many fucking hours of Platform Racing 2. It was amazing how many cool levels people could make out of such a limited selection of blocks.

That's the one. It's a real shame, definitely one of the better MMOs I played.

It had cool armor designs (I was 13 when I played) and an absurdly high level cap of 400, it was pretty great.

My nigga, except I played it when it was SCO/AO.

was that where you could play pool and draw my thing?

ANOTHER NIGGLY.

FUCK.

I had two +9 Bone Swords before I quit for good - to save my wallet

a classed-based sci-fi fps where one class got huge jumps, one got cloak, and one got 1 extra hit before dying.

Anyone?

I played endless, and dark eden, and blitz 1941 was my fuckin jam when it was new

looks interesting, thanks for the heads up

Yes, i remember playing tracism, balloono and hover kart battle.
Ironically, when Zynga killed it they only saved Draw My Thing.

aye its got some good mods. last time I played I had one that increased the enemy count by 400% which turned out great because you leveled fast but also enemies were fuggin everywhere so you could still get dead.

there was some MMORPG called lost eden, or forgotten gaia or some shit like that. i remember it was kinda isometric/diablo camera styled, but you could zoom in and out as you wanted, and it was a post-apocalyptic diablo clone. the only thing i remember is that it really fucking sucked, but i always wanted to track it down. this would have been back in 2002

There was literally nothing to do in this game except go from floor to floor and fight the same mobs over and over again except color swapped

I hear they've added new areas and quests but it amounts to about the same gameplay. Still, fond memories of running around with skelebros and bullying people.

Fucking Sherwood dungeon. The best part of that game was just dicking around on the overworld trying to see where you could get to. What else is to be expected from a company that made nothing but virtual chatrooms before that?

it was shockingly good for a game made by chatroomers

My nigger, I've been looking for this game for years. I remember there being only spider or bugs enemies and the only customization was changing colors.
There was also a Tank game wich was similar.

one of these days a couple of anons need to bind together with new accounts/characters and just power through the earlygame together.

How clueless

I miss this game so hard :(

the gameplay wasn't even super special but it had such a great art style and the overall design and themeing were amazing (the music was really good too)

wait, there was an online portion to that game?

Surely some of you played Mabinogi, r-right? I think I spend most of the time autistically converting midis to song charts

Lineage 2

Wrong again, Lineage 2 was very popular

My nigger.

Didn't all of these come out with the big wave of Asian MMOs in general?
I remember these being posted together with Silkroad, Metin 2 etc on Weeb forums back then.

Probably. Mabinogi just stuck out for me because of the unique combat system with blocks, counter attacks, enemies actually getting knocked back and what not. Also being able to convert a midi into a song to play on a lute was cool.

Oh yeah, forgot about this one. Apparently it's ded dead now.
F

huehue

every time

Oh shit, I just remembered one of the first free MMOs I tried. PlaneShift. I don't remember much about it, it was probably really generic, except when you die you go to hell and have to find your way out.

Last time I checked all servers were empty. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

steamcommunity.com/groups/ANPA

Oh that's nice. Thanks, I'll join that.

anyone remember ddo?

yeah I played that a lot when it went f2p

aw shit

fun times.

still alive under a different name, also on steam. forgot what it's called, but I played it for a bit. same characters, same maps, same announcer, same cash shop.

I'd honestly be down for that.

Scroll up, fam.

Devil's third on the WiiU

Never ever the PC version because nexon is retarded shut down the japanese devil's third online server already.