How powerful?

Sometimes I just wish I could bring some PC games to my friend's card shop but I can't just buy a second gaming rig and put it there, so, how powerful are these things? it would be interesting if I could get some non-console-emulated games on it, like Freedom Planet, Terraria or Shantae and the like, maybe stuff that is a little more demanding like Waves.

Other urls found in this thread:

dietpi.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Those are weak as shit and you couldn't play any of those games on them because the RPi is ARM.

I suggest getting an Intel Atom Cherry Trails single board PC. They have decent enough HD series GPUs for some basic low-settings gaming

Thanks, I'll check them out then, also, any other middle end games worth playing? specially if they have local multiplayer.

it's called a laptop you can probably find one to do just that for under $50 on ebay.

Never touched any of the x86 ones, but my experience with SBC's in general is bad.

You can run old games with a Raspberry Pi.
NES, SNES probably, Genesis too.
There's an OS for it. Easily searchable

Portable x86_64 processors were complete shit until a couple of years ago when Intel finally got off their asses to compete with ARM in the mobile sector. Intel Atoms are very good processors nowadays

t. Someone with an Intel Atom Bay Trails tablet that can play games like TF2 on low settings just fine and still get ~4-5 hours of battery life

Bring a portable then hook it up via HDMI when needed.

Another alternative would be trying to budget a middle end PC that can run some decently looking and fun games, single player shooters and local multiplayer stuff.

rPi on their own are incredibly weak, as stated in the thread. You can get a cluster of them together to supplement that, but you'd be better off just going to a pawn shop and getting a cheap laptop if you were to go that route.

Pis themselves are best used for emulators more than anything else, you aren't going to be playing much passed 1999 on one. The ODROID X2 or whatever is probably the best SBC on the market right now, but it's pretty pricey.
Also, dietpi.com
Use this, don't bother with Raspbian.

You could probably get something decent-ish for sub-200.

Shit, if you're feeling really fucking lazy get some cheap 50 dollar surplus Dell/Lenovo/HP business PC and a power-sipping card. Boom, 30fps 990p gaming.

I'll check around.

If you know what you are doing, you can get some pretty decent power out of these, the RPi 3s actually run pretty well, especially if you run your programs off a flash drive instead of the sd micro slots.If you are really "advance" stick it on the ram.

Raspberry Pi 2s where able to run Quake 3, and the 3s where more powerful then those. I was messing around with them because of the portable potential they have. I actually got the Pi Zero to be a pretty decent web browser. One window at a time, but it takes almost no energy. Pi 3s seemed to play most movies I tried on it pretty well, but I didn't try anything at 720 or 1080.

I'm actually looking into alternatives to the Raspberry Pis though. Since the RasPi people are SJW types.

Read

Get a NUC, it's not going to be great but it'll be a whole lot better than a Pi.

>Also, dietpi.com
Thanks for linking this. I've had a Pi lying around for months doing nothing since Raspbian never initialized properly and I was to lazy to bother.

Run the installer once before actually selecting anything to install.

Yeah, I've been using that. Pretty good distro. Only issue I have with it. If it ever turns off improperly. Sometimes nothing bad happens but a few dirty bits. Other times the diet folder goes complete ape shit, and restoring a backup is the quickest solution. Still though, best distro simply because of how fast it can and will run, and the software it supports. and it actually lets you over clock the RPi 3s.

Don't forget that GPD started going into mobile computers seriously. They just released GPD pocket.
It might get cheap if it won't sell or they might do a new one. You might consider waiting before buying to see where it is going.
Alternative would be Windows Tablet. You can get horse power cheap but if you intend to use it mobile, it is huge waste to not have one with portable controls.

That said Just get cheap ass computer. Preferably old one where you can add graphics card and other stuff.

This.

Get some old HP elitebook or a thinkpad or something off Ebay. Businesses offload that shit by the hundreds all the time.

Can I connect one of those to a Samsung TV? it has a VGA port and HDMI.

my banana pi is 1g ram with dual core.

you can get an octacore one with 2gb of ram

Can you install Retropie on DietPi?