Bad Control Schemes

What games have had THE WORST control schemes possible?

Nowadays, most things are streamlined and use the same control scheme, but back with DOS, that wasn't always the case.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/t3UZ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I remember one game that used ESDF as default or some shit. I cant recall the name but that shit always made zero sense.

QWOP would have to be the worst I have played, as for modern games that should know better I find any that use contextual controls on PC fucking retarded.
I get that on consoles you have limited buttons but on PC there is no excuse.

tomb raider probably

ESDF gives you more buttons for your pinky/ring finger to use. Only downside imo is it makes CTRL uncomfortable to use.

Is tribes 2 the game i was thinking of? Love that game though. I just made it WASD. The main issue i had was i spent years with WASD so i would just by instinct move my hands off the ESDF.

Where is the image of the user that came up with a ridiculous control scheme that he later used for all the games he played?

I don't think QWOP could have gotten any better controls anyway.

I just bind capslock to ctrl in the OS. You can do it on Linux with a command on on Windows with a registry key. The other advantage of ESDF is that your left hand hovers around the same place it should when you're typing normally. It makes it a lot easier to keep proper typing posture, especially if you use the chat in online games.

Subspace Continuum.

like whatever floats your boat man, but shit's pretty weird.

Actually N64 controller is pretty great, but playing FPS's like Turok and Quake 2 never feels great on it.

I have yet to see a game with worse controls than pic related.

Most of the rhythm games insist using the arrow keys, like what the fuck man

Both controls and FOV. I get a headache every time I try playing this.

That was how I played as a kid, because it was the only thing that made sense to me. I was homeschooled and didn't have any friends to tell me about WASD.

anything resembling this…

Gothic

Scratches was a mess in general, gameplay-wise.

Default bindings on anything using the Dark Engine

why are sony and microshit even involved with vidya, they clearly don't understand anything about them

I could never get used to these on original hardware, becuase I would want them to be switched.

It honestly wasn't that bad, but they obviously just did it to be different from Nintendo after the SNES-CD thing.

Perfect example

I still haven't figured out a fix for this game aside from using my mouse's software app and binding pause/break to mouse 4.

i don't know how i played shooters.

Most console games. You'll be hard pressed to find one with re-bindable keys. The moreso as you move away from PS2.

I remember some DOS platformer from the 90's that made you press 2 keys simultaneously to shoot your gun or something. Even though the game only used around 4 keys in total. Fucking asinine.

Was it Commander Keen? I tried playing it last year and it was kind of bullshit

That has to be it. I think I remember someone explaining it was so the controls could fit on joypads or something, but who would be making joypads in the 90's with less buttons than an NES controller?

This pile of shit right here.

i liked it

arrow keys weren't awful in the 2d/3d on 2d plane games. i never accidentally closed with alt+enter, was that even an os shortcut back then?

Joysticks usually have directions PRIMARY FIRE, and SECONDARY FIRE. It was just a convention

I think he is talking about dosbox. Alt enter still works there.

Even as a kid every dos game i played was through windows (eg win98). The cmd window responded to that shortcut even then

It has the menu on the End key

The original System Shock.

End yourself.

The original System Shock is better with the mouse look mod/enhanced edition

it's still not great but it's at least playable and doesn't control like a flight sim

spotted the codkiddies

non sequitur

There's nothing wrong with his post. The game has shitty controls for a keyboard. Just because it's a jap port doesn't justify it.

The game controlled like a flight sim because it was a brand new 3D game. It wasn't intentional on the dev's part. It was because 3D games were brand new and they had no idea how they should control. You can see it very clearly when you notice Looking Glass promptly abandoned system shock's controlscheme in their later games like Thief the Dark Project. Thief even had garbage default controls because wsad wasn't a standard yet but can be fixed by being rebound.

A game having shitty controls is very hard to excuse as something the developer did for artistic integrity. The only times I can see it being somewhat justifiable is if it's a stealth game.

It's moreso that the game was designed around having analog movement and there's little aspects to the control scheme that make it awkward as fuck to play on a keyboard yet natural on a gamepad.

A good example is in Dark Souls you can move around when using the menu. This was because using the menu in that game didn't pause the game. And you could be attacked while in the menu. That shit is awkward on a keyboard but feels natural with a dpad and analog sticks. Then there's things like running and jumping which requires you to hold down and then tap the button.

There are some limitations to using a keyboard (the lack of analog movement being a good example) and you really have to design a game with the keyboard in mind to make it less awkward. (It's the same deal with gamepads since a lot of games in the past played awkwardly with a gamepad due to being designed for the m+kb first).

games that used up/down left/right for movement or numpad. lol

Doom did this

I think System Shock did some shit like arrow keys for movement, then QW-AS-ZX controlled the three types of rotation.

Always hated old FPSes for having forward/backwards on the mouse moving the character, and wish I'd known about novert. I can't remember why but Heretic II's defaults pissed me off for some reason too.

I used to do that with Jedi Academy to have all the surrounding buttons for force powers. Using the cycle menu is garbage.

I'm fine with both those controllers. The 3DS on the other hand…

Just in general, games like Phantom Hourglass or Rhythm Tengoku Gold which have control gimmicks nobody asked for.

I'm pretty sure Thief does too, but includes alternatives in the unofficial patches. KOTOR has that weird thing too I believe, where sidestepping and turning are in the adzc space.

Only if you have manlet hands.

WHY?

What about games that slightly change their control scheme between multiple releases? I can't stand that, especially on console games since you often can't rebind every button and instead pick between presets.

There's nothing wrong with either of those.
I used to hate the 360 controller until I started using it, and honestly it isn't bad. I like how you can quickly swap out batteries.
not an argument, never had an issue with the layout

Oh christ I hate that about Super Metroid too, needing to hold run but also have jump and fire accessible, it's thumb overload. Also what game is that?

It's a fair stretch even for man-hand people.

Monster Hunter, but it applies to all PSP games which require camera controls. Some let you remap the camera to the face buttons but it still sucks.

Claw grip was actually a little painful at first, but when I played Monster Hunter on the 3DS I actually missed the improved control that claw grip gave you.

Technically it gave even more control than a right analog would, since you'd need to move your thumb to access the face buttons, but with the claw grip you could move, change the camera, AND access the face buttons all simultaneously. Shit was actually pretty cool, it's a shame the 3ds put the d-pad below the analog for some fucking reason.

I fucking hate games with fixed camera
or

That just gives me a retarded but potentially amazing idea. What if you put an analog stick or circle pad on the back of a controller? You would just use your middle finger to move it around while your index would be on the shoulder buttons.

That's basically what these monster hunter things do.

Have you tried them? If yes, is it comfy?

Yes, Tribes 2 had ESDF by default, but there was a preset for WASD as well. I would probably use ESDF but after using WASD for >10 years it's really hard to use something new.

Now, this would be okay, but:
I mean, it's playable, but I feel like I need a 3rd arm to do it comfortably.

Inquisitor does this and it was added in at a later date, too. I believe it's because it's actually a really hacky way to add a pause function, it's not a mechanic that was built into the game engine, if that makes sense. Yes, it's retarded and I'd love an explanation for why it was done this way.

Hefty as fug, wobbly I-can't-believe-it's-not-buttera-d-pad-replacement in a weird position.
Takes a bit of getting used to, but it's serviceable.

The worst one is WASD on a AZERTY keyboard

i hated the controls in breath of the wild

Nah, I just use an N3DS with a thinkpad trackpoint replacing the C-stick.

Get a fucking wire controller. No batteries no waste. Even with rechargeable controllers the chargers broke easily. I use a Gamestop 360 wire controller I got as a joke gift and it actually has the best thumbsticks I've ever fucking used

The keyboard and mouse is literally the worst possible way to play video games. Only a complete retard would use a typing device for playing a game.

wizardry 8

It's hard to get used to first but once you get hold of it it becomes a lot of fun. That claw shit look too uncomfortable.

terraria's had that for years and I haven't heard anyone complain.

Came here to say this. Nothing else ever came close. Gothic's keybindings are so bad that they're in a league of their own.

sage

So all you got is anti-semitic insults? Looks like I must right.

Seriously though, when and how did the "N64 controller is bad" meme start? It was fucking comfy and due to 6 face buttons FPS games worked just fine with C-button controls. A.R.M.O.R.I.N.E.S, Turok 3 and Golden Eye played perfectly.

Were there really that many troglodytes tring to use the analog while holding the left grip instead of the middle?

The game's control setup is its most terrifying element. The left analog stick moves you forward, back, and strafes right and left, while the right analog stick turns you and can be used to look up and down. Too often, you'll turn to face a foe and find that your weapon is aimed at the floor or ceiling while the alien gleefully hacks away at your midsection. Add to the mix a few other head scratchers - such as how the triangle button controls item and health use - and you'll be wondering how Sony let this get by without requesting a few different control configuration options.

archive.is/t3UZ0

Do you want to turn on Sticky Keys?

That gets my dick rock hard

my dad always used M2 to move forward and sdf for side/backwards. M3 for aiming, f or w for melee/zoom. Grew up on it until I got used to wasd

Toontown.

It did not age well at all.

The most fucky control scheme that jumps out at me are the aircraft controls in GTA: San Andreas. Even with remapping, flying a plane and doing the horseshit aerial acrobatics required missions is a goddamn living nightmare. And thank FUCK you can edit the CVARs to make the Dodo faster for that stupid 'jump on the private jet' mission.

EDSF is the Elder God tier of PC Master Race gaming. Like said, you have access to more keys on your left hand and have no downside for doing so. I fell in love with it during LAN matches in the original Rainbow 6 damn near 20 years ago. Fuck, typing that out makes me feel old.

You have to go back

ever play those old fps games where you would walk and turn using the arrow keys and had to hold a button down to activate strafing with left and right arrows, so you couldnt turn and strafe at the same time?

I remember that when I was little, I was used to walking with arrowkeys since most games did that, and found WASD strange

theyre the arrow keys after all. they have the direction that you go painted on to them.

Ooops, time to reload.
pic related

I just reported you for bigotry, enjoy your ban kiddo

good on ya

This is something I actually got so used to, it was difficult trying to play console games with the right analog stick to control the camera because I was used to always having my right thumb available to press buttons.

Honestly still miss it sometimes.

Ooops, time to reload
pic related

I laugh to this day about the bitching about AR's control scheme.

The only thing I can think of that is annoying is
PRESS C TO CROUCH

Severance: Blade of Darkness.

This is probably bait, but whatever. I'm baffled as to how anyone would expect Dark Souls to have good keyboard controls in the first place.

Terraria is a 2D platformer, and to my knowledge it doesn't have more than one movement speed: you push right to go right. Dark Souls has two movement speeds - walking and running - which are more easily controlled with an analogue stick than with the two buttons you'd necessarily need to control them on a kb+m. And yes, the different movement speeds do have meaningful gameplay differences.

Furthermore, why would anyone play Dark Souls with a keyboard anyway? You can complain about bad button bindings all you want, but the game was obviously made with a controller in mind. Who would be stupid enough to think a 3D action game would handle best on a keyboard? You wouldn't play Devil May Cry or The Legend of Zelda on a keyboard.

Anyone have the webm of that autistic guy who couldn't discern how to open the menu in the Dark Souls tutorial?

I miss tank controls. There was a game released a couple years ago (Found it, vid related - it's a noir point and click adventure) whose visual style was almost entirely solid white and black. It looks fine, but there's this one part where you have to navigate through a huge room with only a handful of spotlights to orient yourself, since your character is invisible otherwise. Because it uses standard directional movement (and because the devs obviously didn't test the game enough) the camera will cut while you're invisible, which obviously causes you to either adjust the analogue stick or veer off course. And good luck finding your character once you've steered him in the wrong direction and the camera keep changing based on invisible bounding lines you can't see.

What did you expect, many assholes don't read the game manuels.

Early non-nintendo analog stick had wide death zone.

Speaking about Sererance:Blade of Darkness is their a way to play with a gamepad? It seems the game lock out everything except keyboard and mouse.

RE4 pc port.
What the fuck were they thinking?

dcmk spread for lyfe

Nothing beats the GTA series other than intentionally obtuse or autist games (QWOP, dorf, etc.). The keys are almost randomly assigned. In GTA Online, there are fun things like capslock being used as an action key, and doing supply drops requires hitting an arrow key which everyone confuses for enter and is only used for that one mission.

EXCUSE ME

Games like Mass Effect 2 and 3 with a single do everything button but atleast you can change that in the game files
ME1 and 2 with the auto cover bullshit particularly the range of it

It's exactly that, the game says press X to sprint while the real button is in fact E, so enjoy dying 20 or so times on the first boulder sequence thinking you are mentally disabled until you realize you were pressing the wrong button all along.

what's wrong with shift+ctrl+w/s+a/d+rightmouse+leftmouse for sneaky strafe shootan?

dd cn u stp

I had to literally change almost every single control on this just to play.

Imagine if you had to buy something like pic related to play console shit. It's autistic, pure and simple. If your game is not optimized to work well with the device it SHOULD work on, your game is shit, point blank.

I tried to place my fingers there and it feels fucking wrong.

rest pinkie on z not shift.

why is this preferable to WSAD?

More keys for your pinkie. I dont use it personally but i can see why someone would.

Pic related.

This is bait; this is really bad bait. In fact, there's not even any bait it's just a hook. This bait is such low energy it's lower energy than Jeb Bush, it's a big fat mess I tell you.

The D-pad is pretty poor when it comes to 2D platforms and anything alike to that but non asymmetrical stick placement is a faggy complaint. There's 0 problems with them.