2017 Strong Vidya Hall of Fame Inductees Chosen

museumofplay.org/press/releases/2017/05/3418-2017-world-video-game-hall-fame-inductees-announced
So Halo 1, Pokemon Red and Green, Arcade Donkey Kong and SF2 are now in the vidya hall of fame along with Doom and Mario while beating out Final Fantasy VII, Microsoft Windows Solitaire, Mortal Kombat, Myst, Portal, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, and Wii Sports. Was it the right call? They're also accepting nominations for next year's class.

Other urls found in this thread:

hardcoregaming101.net/firestart/firestart.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You gotta remember that this isn't a contest for quality, this is a hall of fame.
Famous games aren't always the best games. Pokémon is absolutely more famous than Mortal Kombat and Myst.

Time passes, it's inevitable.
It takes slower today anyway, 10 years ago I remember 16 year old games being considered ancient.

Alright, I understand most of them have some sort of significance, but why is Wii Sports? Did it really sell that good?

That's why I nominated Mega Man 2 instead of 3, which I think is the best classic Mega Man game.

it's shit

Where is Skyrim?

Yes, it really did sell that well. These inductees are pretty good although I would have had Windows Solitaire (Why not Minesweeper?) instead of Halo.

First game with massive sales (through wii bundles) and I guess there was no other game like it before then. That was the first modern movement controlled game.

Solid FPS, despite all the memes. Brought shooters to consoles, and while that was a shit idea now that we have yearly CoD, it was still groundbreaking at the time.
One of the first games that kids would bring to school and play in groups.
Bretty good arcade game. Launched DK and Mario.
Introduced fighters to the mainstream.

Good list. I thought they'd add Portal, thank God they didn't.
FF7 is a meme, Solitaire wasn't truly new or inventive; just highly played, MK will probably go in at another date, Myst will too, RE and TR should as well, and Wii Sports could go either way.

Halo looks so out of place there.

If it's strictly a hall of fame then I'd understand, but Myst definitely belongs in a museum in some form or another
It helps that non-arcade puzzle games in general are practically a forgotten antiquity at this point

I'd be happy with anything on that list getting in other than portal and wii sports.

smh tbh

Are the judging it based on quality of game or just popularity of game? If the latter then fair enough, if the former then fuck that.

Probably a bit of both considering they seem to be going for "timeless" games alongside everything else as a qualifier. I sure as fuck wouldn't pick FF7 for quality or timelessness, for instance.

If only they had put Alone in the Dark up instead. The birth of survival horror deserves a spot.

Wii Sports sold at least as much as the Wii did since every console came with Wii Sports.
It's also notable as being possibly the first ever motion-controlled game that didn't make people throw that shit out a window.

There's your answer.
Also, some guy's putting together a vidya archive, so there's always going to be that.

Yea how about this game as a hall of fame inductee

Its about how influential the games were overall. Pokemon Red and Greens influence has extended well beyond their original medium for example. And Halos influence can still be felt in modern FPS' for better or worse

What is Golden Eye? MK has more of a right to a place than fucking Halo. I'm not even going to explain why to you. Go back to /reddit/.

Except virtually all modern shooters on consoles follow halo's influence in terms of control setup and aiming and other design influences, not goldeneye's or perfect dark's.

First of all, saying simply "shooter" means 2D shmups, not 3D first person shooters. Second, it's wrong anyway. It's off by a whole decade!

Go back a bit further. Project Firestart for the C64 had nailed most elements of the survival horror formula.

hardcoregaming101.net/firestart/firestart.htm

That's not where the goal was, why'd you move it