ITT: JRPGs where the MC doesn't use a sword

ITT: JRPGs where the MC doesn't use a sword.

Four White Mages?

Choke on it.

So what is more popular after the sword for the MC? A stick or a gun?

To be fair, Abel did use swords for the majority of the game(unless you went out of your way not to use them.) He didn't get the staff, which is his canonical weapon, until the last third IIRC.

Probably a staff. Even bare hands seem more popular than guns.

Vide related: The MWS or Multiple Weapon System from Xenosaga, a conceptually awesome and hilariously awkward weapon. It has a giant fist for punching, laser cannons, flamethrowers, transfer grenades, electrodes and pretty much everything else. It's slimmed down in Episode 2 and 3 into a sexy sleaker version that focuses on blade/beam functionality and shielding. Another character continues to use the original, however.

Most of the Wild Arms series on the whole would fit, unless you consider Rudy's knife in WA PS1 (his ARMs being reserved for special attacks in that incarnation) or Ashley's Bayonet as sword-like enough to not fit.

Might depend on whether you mean a "canon" weapon (as opposed to simply "usable") for the character, but I'd argue after swords, unarmed or using a variety of weapon types as opposed to simply one could be the next most popular (looking at something like Tales of Eternia, while Reid is probably best known with swords of some kind, the game lets him equip axes, daggers, shortswords, long swords, spears, and halberds; he even starts out with an axe). Of course, it could also depend on the protagonist's build: if the protagonist is outright meant as more of the caster type (and without "magic knight" stylings), chances are they'll just have a staff instead, and without being proficient at using it for melee combat (rendering it more there for stat boosts or something, compared to someone versed in using staves for physical damage/blocking).

It's worth noting they have Rudy ditch the knife for the remake, focusing entirely on the ARM. Ashley doesn't count, because he has energy blades as the Knight Blazer and later uses the Argetlahm. His bayonet is fucking boss, though. Except for Tim, who uses Staves, everybody in that game uses weird weapons. Brad has his robot gun fist, Lilika has her umbrellas, Kanon her knives and entire body (which is fucking awesome) and Marivel has Hob and Nob the golemlets.
WA4 had Jude with his magical morphing nanomachine sword gun, Arnaud's feather knives, Yuli's chakrams and Raquel's halberd/sword/combo thing.
WA5 has dual wielding guns with clip knives, dual pistols, gun-rapiers, sniper rifles with retractable light sablers, missile launcher backpacks and pile bunkers.

Meanwhile in Xenogears you kill God will punching.

With Ashley I meant more that his rifle has a bayonet on it big enough to be a sword in its own right, not Knightblazer.

I've never seen a design that seemed so ridiculous, yet at the same time somewhat practical.

It's even worse when you realize he mostly uses it one handed.

Pokemon

Yeah, his weapon's honestly just a rifle with an oversized bayonet. He uses different cartridge types for his Originals, while his standard attack is to stab the enemy with the bayonet and conserve ammo (useful when your only means of replenishing ammo is in towns, or using the somewhat rare replacement "Bullet Load" items, which he shares usage of with Brad). No "the gunshot makes the blade vibrate" sort of stuff either, and the rifle itself is never replaced: Rather, you can upgrade attributes of how it handles particular ammo (increase shooting power, increase accuracy, etc), while the actual bayonet attachment can be swapped out with upgraded variants.

Could have a bit to do with graphical rendering limitations (the second opening for the game does show him using it with both hands to finish off that hydra thing), but yeah, his weapon is oversized. Rudy at least has a plot excuse for how he can use his massive handcannon in ACF one handed, but even then, certain Originals of his still cause him to recoil a bit when finished.

Why would anybody want to play that?

One job everyone. One job.

Someone already posted it.

any jrpgs where the MC is a submissive boy?
please, I must know.

Fuck, I forgot how the menus looked.

how about jrpgs where the MC isnt a cutting edgy gay teenager?

Persona 2: Eternal Punishment. Entire party is mid twenties and up until the very endgame when you get someone who just graduated HS as the final slot. Party members are a magazine writer, a lingerie store clerk, a cop, a hacker who runs a BBS, a model and a CEO. Entire game is about cleaning up the mess the dumb kid heroes from the last game made when they got the world destroyed.

I love the EP party so much. I think the story for IS is better but nobody beats Baofu.

What's the point then?

It's a shame they'll never have a scene like him accusing Ulala of being a tranny as a distraction ever again. Or the fucking plot twist where she got drunk and cursed Maya.

user that's the spear or hoe.

Is that worth playing? i played 4 and hated it, terrible game

It's a shame we'll never get another Persona game with a plot that isn't straight out of an after school special. I loved what they did with P3 but P4 and what I've seen of P5 lacks the punch the earlier games had.

I would blame it on the calendar system but that is more padding than anything. It's really just the reality that Post-PS2 Atlus doesn't have the same writing staff and desire for gothic imagery and horror like they did.

Are you a fucking elf or something? I'd compromise with situational lance or polearm but when the shit hits the fan there's only one real option. And it's not some pansy ass stick, either.

What are ya, plebs?

Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is the only persona game isn't about school kids doing school things but also fighting the demons.
Well P1 and P2 IS didn't have much of a school life in them either, but you still got to play as high schoolers.

And yes Eternal Punishment is god tier, I despised P3 and 4 but enjoyed P2 EP greatly. Combat might drag on though, so make sure to use fast forward option if you're gonna emulate it.
I went back then and played previous ones, they were quite meh, but still not as bad as later ones, you can safely skip them.
Not actually knowing Innocent Sin's plot before Eternal Punishment greatly adds to the mystery and it gets spoilered to you towards the end anyway, so don't feel obliged to play it.

Persona 5 felt like a desperate attempt to return to the roots, but devs were forced to appeal to P3-4 fans as well. It does feel like a lot of wasted potential.

problem with EP is you have to deal with stupid amounts of RNG, random battles being so pitifully easy you literally AFK through them, and horribly explained systems.
Like story wise the game's fine aside from the ending being the biggest cop-out ever, but the gameplay was bad even for it's time.

I really need to play this. Do you have to play Innocent Sin first?

Yes, the order is Innocent Sin -> Eternal Punishement.
Thankfully these are PS1 era RPGs with reasonable play lengths. You should finish each one in 20ish hours.