chuckschallenge.com/
archive.org/details/MicroMan_1020
sdispace.com/order.html
dosgamesarchive.com/category/turn-based-strategy/1/
archive.org/details/Microsoft_Encarta_95_Microsoft_Home_1994
gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm
playdosgames.com/online/adventures-of-robbo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That takes me back when you'd get games like these by the hundreds on shareware cds.
I was actually searching for the name of this game in particular.
Thank you.

I loved those CDs, most of them have been lost to time sadly.

Maybe Ill go back and beat it one day. There was some other game like jazzball or something

I never completed the original version, but I did finish the NES port

also;
webccgame.com/?page=play

I remember the weird Parana-plant looking creatures were the 2nd scariest things I'd seen in a videogame for a decent amount of time.
#1 was obviously the yeti from Ski Free.
I remember really loving Commander Keen.
Had the DOS version of Were Back A Dinosaur Story.

There was this one I can't remember the name of.
I think it was a side scroller that was about finding keys and it had red clouds for a background.
I always found it unsettling.

2 other
I eventually found on GOG were Time Commando and Battle Beast.

There isnt an archive somewhere?
I remember a "thousand games" cd with 2 discs, early 2000s and had about as many games on it

christ, would it even run on windows 7?

i remember thinking the yeti was a kill screen and that the game was just a prank.

No, it's 16-bit

chuckschallenge.com/

There was a reboot/remake thing I found on steam awhile back. It satisfied my itch for this kind of game for the most part.

yeah, shit. i couldnt even get exile 2 to run. but if youre able to run chips challenge you might be able to. its free right now, and im not just talking scallywag talk.

it might be cool to play chips challenge where stuff actually 'moves' instead of warping from tile to tile, that was always a bit jarring. but looking at this makes me yearn for the inside of a computer theme. who knows, it could grow on me. but i hope theres some levels with a tileset reminiscent of that.
is there a demo?

FUCK YOU
U
C
K

Y
O
U

I wanted to remember the name of this one, thank you op

Step it down OP

I don't think I have ever seen/heard any one else mention this game.

Oh the ladders are pins, i never noticed that before

step it left or u dead

I'm more interested in crystal shards games, specifically subterra. Pieter is kind of a cool guy i guess

Is DROD any good?

Play it if you haven't done so yet, it's one of the most unique games out there.

It's pretty decent. I think that you can play a remastered version of the game for free online.

holy shit fuck off with your low effort indie garbage and stop shilling already.

How about this classic?

Also
archive.org/details/MicroMan_1020
if you wanna give it another go.

I remember it and am i laffin

Race levels were bullshit. Grappling hook best weapon. I remember the two special weapons didnt seemto do anything

It didnt actually modify your files did it?

Thanks for reminding me of this gem, user.

I can't tell who's baiting who anymore

Pfffhahaha

Weren't there 4 special weapons? One also was a nuke I remember. Batteries were completely bullshit.
I don't think it actually did anything to your files, it just scanned your directories when you started a new game to make the levels.

I used to play the original long time ago, I remember it in a good light, can't talk about the sequels and spin-offs tho.

Ok, now you went to deep, Cobb. Holy shit, I literally didn't remember this one anymore.

she's already dead, too slow, start running

The newer DROD games are also breddy gud.
God damn fuck shit tar and mud asses fuck.

This thing was a pain in the arse to find the name of since I couldn't be bothered to fix up my Apple G3s to find the game.
I remember it fondly, which usually means it's shit.

I must get around to booting those G3s up again. My father, his employees and myself used to collect every single game we could find and had maybe 300GB of games pre-2000s. It must of been up in the tens of thousands, if not hitting 6 figures.

God, I still cannot get over the main character being so fucking ugly to this day still a very good game though

YOU
WILL
DIE

A bunch of overlap with DOS/win95 games from the other thread:

Aldos Adventures and Clyde were totally my jam

this is escapade. i dont even remember what this game was about, other than that you could take and place bricks and obviously had to avoid the crocodiles. i guess you had the collect the bags of corn chips?
i really liked it, but i didnt feel like bugging whoever was taking care of me at the time to buy the full version.

Do you fucking nerds seriously think these "games" can even hold a candle to modern AAA materpieces? LOL

yeah i was wondering something like that. would people even buy games like this these days, or would they immediately be dismissed as ugly shovelware? (some of moraffs games were pretty shovelwarey)

Most of these games were developed by 1-3 people. The gameplay had to be satisfying enough because there wasn't much visually to fall back on. There also simply weren't that many free games around so people tended to have a longer attention span and weren't as choosy. If modern games hadn't improved in some ways in 25 years wouldn't the industry be pretty dead?
nice shitposting

I don't know that there's anything quite like shareware nowadays. It's definitely not like early access or f2p.

I remember that background and the weird sound/music but not much else.

HELLO IM STEVE MORAFF

Feels like Lode Runner.

I know there's a website and organization specifically designed to preserve and distribute those cds but i forgot it.

I'm 99% sure that I saw you post years back. Either that or a lot of people have older sisters who are meth addicts

oh fuck I remember this badass game

this game is still for sale by the original company
starting at:
$24.95

forgot link
sdispace.com/order.html

Ok I been asking around for a long while maybe you guys could help me.
There was a sci fi game with ships and you got to pick your crew. and based on the crew was how well you could operate, there was turn based ship to ship combat and turn based near like the old x-com turn based ground combat. You'd go to planets and some times the colony was completely wiped out or there were Ayyys ready to jump ya. It was like star trek ish but more…

If that makes fucking sense.

Any idea when it came out? If it's DOS check this list:
dosgamesarchive.com/category/turn-based-strategy/1/

Random name, Master of Orion? Probably not

Anyone played this?

step it up grampa

Are you talking about cd.textfiles.com? That's where I managed to find the "100+ games" CD I used to play with growing up.

Great, now how do I download a CD instead of it doing this bullshit

SHIT! I had that, got it from walmart forever ago. Thing was awesome, I used to play tons DOS games on it all day. I think I remember beating the DOOM demo like 10 fucking times on it and never got the chance to play the full game… (still haven't beaten DOOM 1).

My favorites from that was some mario cart ripoff, VGA miner, and some text command adventure game called the Hugo's Adventure series which I could never ever beat.

I actually played through Hugo 1-3 from memory just last year. Miner VGA is bullshit.

You can press T to teleport to the top row of the mine. As long as the top right tile (preferably the whole row) is empty space, it's possible to escape almost any situation

oooOOOoo shit I forgot about that one, the memories. If I remember it even had a level editor.

Anyone else enjoy this?

I don't remember there being a way, I just focused my autism and downloaded each and every file I wanted. Of course the hard part was figuring out which folder had which since they were all numbered.

Maybe you can use a script or an addon to download everything in the folder? I don't know why the guy didn't just upload ISOs instead of doing that shit.

mind maze

Where do I play this nowadays?

I was bundled with encarta 95, I think this is it
archive.org/details/Microsoft_Encarta_95_Microsoft_Home_1994

Just install Windows 3.1 using DOSbox and then play the game on it, it's all easily found on the internet for free. I did this to play castle of the wind 1 and 2.

I remember once, the Utility Belt spawned in the town. Was so amazed at seeing that.

Pic related is another roguelike I played. I recently replayed it and its unfortunately trivial to break. Level up your speed so that you take 2:1 turns compared to the monsters, then you just need to alternate moving, waiting, and attacking and you can kite every monster in the game with zero risk

I did the same as a kid, I totally didn't know shit about how it worked and resting always seemed to mean death. I once had a great run as that glass cannon and managed to beat the mine, then the game crashed..The only other roguelike I played at that time was called something like "lad" on my disc. Never could find the fucking game again.

Oh I remember LAD. "Local Area Dungeon"
Found a great bug there, too.

If you withdrew negative money from the bank, it would basically give you infinite cash. From the start, I maxed out all the training at the school/academy or whatever, so much so that even the things I was earning had an invalid name

Just remembered another one I spent a lot of time on, "Blockman"

Upload a scan of the label and a rip/image of the disk immediately.

Just use wget. You can get it for (((Windows))) here if you really must: gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm

I haven't had a flashback this strong in a long time. Just had a peek of that boxart and everything came rushing back to me. Can't belive I forgot that game even existed. Thanks for reminding me user, gonna go replay it for old times sake.

The oldest game I remember playing.
playdosgames.com/online/adventures-of-robbo/

Jesus Christ, I had completely forgotten about it.

Am I missing something here?

8ch crapped itself. I made some posts here before, and it seems like they've all changed to bc9204

I didn't even notice until you pointed it out, it looks so legit. Maybe OP reposted a thread?

Maintenance happened, saw the ID change to becoming truly "We are Legion"

I saved my password somewhere but didn't finish the game, the biggest fucking difficulty spike I encountered was definitely the level "On the rocks", that level is pure absolute hell.

Holy shit you are right

I liked this game.

YES

I'm late, but DROD is my favorite game series, kicking out other series because all games are great and polished. The fifth game in the series (latest one) is fucking PERFECT.

Moraff please stop the shilling already. Is he alive?.

I actually looked him up on Wikipedia a few months ago. Yes, he is.

Man I remember this, how many levels were there again?

I remember playing this on my grandparents old computer.

Does anyone have the original version of this without all the new stuff added to it?

Whelp, thanks to I now remember playing a game i was a kid. Rooms with bricks where the goal is to reach the end, you're some red skinned blonde guy, and when you die you explode. Sometimes you'd get a gun and shoot stuff. Unfortunately that's such a generic description i don't think anyone else would know about it. And that Chip game pissed me right off.

I also remember playing a shareware pseudo-3d where you're a ship flying around a forest shooting shit and gathering collectables but since I can only recall the first big enemy you encounter that kills you it's completely lost to me.

of course I don't know the names of any of these games anymore.

Have fun. Here's the back too, for the hell of it. Anyone remember this one too? It was pretty shit when I replayed it but its version of that forklift game is burned into my memory forever.

What the fuck happened last night? This whole post was sitting in my browser chache since then, I never got to post it.

*Oh right there was also a jetpack.

bump

I still can't find this one old kid's game, no matter how hard I look.
It was called nth grade skills assessment or something like that and it came in a bundle.

What a world

Do you know if 95 is the one that had the section on historical naval stuff? I remember there being a part where there was a cutaway of a ship and showed all the different positions and had a portion on old naval doctors.

Mine was more boring, it was a coloring books with place-able objects that did absolutely nothing and spelling puzzles with some asshole rabbit. Kindergarten also had a spelling game where you died horribly at the end from some barn animal, and jumping through circus hoops.

Reader Rabbit? That one was a whole series.

Mine was the one where he mines, with whatever those rectangle things were.

There was also Writer Rabbit. And a bunch of other rabbits in that franchise.