Why did it took so long for a videogame to have cell shading that doesn't look like garbage?

Why did it took so long for a videogame to have cell shading that doesn't look like garbage?

I watched their lecture where they explain their workflow and all the features they need were invented two decades ago.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/RealCrusadeHistory
youtube.com/watch?v=MCwVhKocvto
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Its Cel shading
OP cant even get his topic right. Embarrassing

I'm not an anglo.

this one was pretty decent for a psx title, looks even better on emulators

He got it close enough that anyone who sees his post, especially with the included picture, knows exactly what the topic is.
Kill yourself, you pedantic little /a/ meido.

i imagine due to the developers reusing assets for their game regularly
that coupled with the cost of making a whole new game with whole new assets there wasnt a desire to change
just guessing

cel shading always looks like garbage

You look like garbage

Post games with cel shading

Not really, most of the CG industry is geared towards photopleism, so there aren't too much development towards making NPR that doesn't suck ass.

Japan is the only who tries to make 2D with 3D.

>>>/out/

Because even though japs make great games, they rarely do progress when it comes to shadermagic and graphics. Western devs are the one heavily investing into graphics and shading, but they rarely use cel shading, so that's why that technique was on a standstill for many years. Now some jap finally had the idea to enhance their most beloved graphic style that has been on a standstill since ps2 era, instead of just copy pasting it like any other jap dev.

But it does.

thought Mia was chun li for a sec

But user, these games looked amazing for their time and have aged much better than most games on their respective consoles?

Okami is still fucking impressive, even against modern day hardware.

End yourself.

Didn't the Muslims BTFO the crusaders?

That picture is from the HD remaster.

Its cheese. not a condom.

No, it's a screenshot of the PS2 or Wii version being emulated. Most obviously that image is missing the paper effect that's normally applied to the whole screen. Those shaders are impossible to emulate in hardware rendering since they were filters applied directly onto the framebuffer, which isn't supposed to be accessed on a modern GPU. The Wii version never had them to begin with for the same reason.

I'd say Okami on the PS3 looks even better than that, but some people don't like the filters.

Anyone remember this?
What a strange game.

maybe
i dont know but this guys vids were informative
youtube.com/user/RealCrusadeHistory
start with some early ones
like this one
youtube.com/watch?v=MCwVhKocvto

Has anyone else noticed that the only time Western companies have a game cel shaded is for FPS titles? I think the only time I've seen this rule broken is with "PoP '08".

Speaking of blue balled endingsā€¦
>The Darkness II

darkness 2 is shite compared to the first one. It misses the mark so badly

The first crusade? Hell no.

fun game though

I thought it was alright, I had fun with it. The first game is better though. I would like the first game even more if it had a PC port

Games have had good looking cel shading for well over 10 years now though.

Also, GGXRD looks really wonky, I don't know why people pass it off as a shining example of good 3d in fighting games when it looks stiff as fuck like average looking sprites.

Cel shading has looked fine since at least the PS2 era.

As everyone else pointed out cel shading has been done well for a long time already.
What Xrd does differently compared to other games is that each individual frame of its purposely chopped animation is adjusted by hand to look as good as possible,
FROM ONE ANGLE ONLY
It looks like any other game during story mode and whenever the camera shifts outside of the character's control, mainly through KO's or the round starting movement that they added in Revelator and made worse in Rev 2 when you see how jilted and adjusted these frames are especially when the camera comes from the side.

Well, that's the point like said.

Right, and I don't get why people see it as a good thing.

If you are going to have 3d models, why not actually use the benefits that animation style has and have hyper smooth animation? Webms related

I understand the importance of having clear milestones in the animation for the purpose of players being able to understand frame timing, but plenty of other 3d fighting games have smooth animations and manage it

The new end of set slow motion in Rev2 looks so bad.

Because keyframe animation looks good.

There was that mmo that had decent cell shading I think.

Go play double dragon neon and tell me the game play is better with smooth 3D animations compared to the original.

First one and fourth are stupidly high poly.
Second one looks kind of shitty
Third is probably high poly too
Fifth isn't actually cel shading.
Your observation is correct though.

This is also quite correct.

The only whore I'd waifu.

This. Tekken is smooth as fuck and the high-end competition level doesn't get more high-end than that. The footwork on that game is stupidly crucial and everything is extremely precise.

No more heroes had great art style to hide some of the graphical shortcomings. I'm not a graphic whore though, I rather have solid art style, it ages way better that way.

I remember playing a pirate copy on my PS2. The game wouldn't work beyond a certain point and I was actually having fun. Does the PC version run alright in a modern rig?

There was the car combat game Cel Damage.