Modern Roguelikes

Surely someone out there thought to combine Roguelike stuff with modern games right?

You'd think some AAA dev would make a Lobby/Instance co-op version of a Roguelike. Like Guild Wars town instances with randomly generated dungeons. I spose the closest I've seen yet is the ultra simplistic The Division Underground DLC.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_(2014_video_game)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Roguelikes are the shittiest genre in the entirety of video games.

You're kidding right?

Diablo.

Roguelike players would be offended by that comparison

?????

somehow I thought you were refuting his point by posting what you believed to be a good roguelike.

I'm not sure what I was thinking, and I apologize.

Diablo style is the modern roguelike.

"You think some AAA dev would make a game for a niche market"
Are you new?

remember when MMO's were niche?

I thought they were 4 player PVE co-op mobas.

If the alternative is WoWification, maybe it's best that AAA companies don't try to serve niches.

They were for 30 years now.
It' still funny.

You're right, games should die. There should be nothing but indie talking simulators and ASCII dungeon crawlers.

Whatever this type of genre is, I really like it. Gauntlet was my shit for a while, and Forced really was one of my favorite co-op experiences.

How do you play rougelikes on notebook keyboard? I really hate lack of numpad.

Dungeon Siege and maybe Spellforce should have set the course for click'em'up grindan sim development to come.

Does anyone think of Gaunlet to be a Roguelike?

What ever happened to Gauntlet anyways

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_(2014_video_game)

jesus

people call them diablolikes for a reason

Vi keys

Diablo 1 literally happened because somebody at Blizzard thought "What happens when you make Nethack work in real time?"

The impact WoW had on future MMORPGs has largely been negative.

Doesn't mean its a roguelike you bumbling retard.

Not Nethack but Angband IIRC

The most "modernized roguelike" I can think of is DCSS due to how casualized it became, and a while ago they removed a Jihad sword because it triggered a Muslim or something, so yeah definitely a modern game

WoW used to be great. trying to fix mmos at this point is like trying to make america great again

WoW was never good, isn't good and never will be good

It was an ok game, not to mention almost a year and a half of support is more than acceptable.

Its was okay there were a ton more sandbox elements then what was there then the slow casualization of it.

A lot more of which I forgot

Yeah I guess if it was your first MMO or something.

It was 2004, it was most peoples first MMO. Unless you were 10 hour grouping in EQ or trying to do something in Ultima online or Neverwinter Nights AOL