Rp in sp

Do any of you guys ever RP in singleplayer games?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm not a delusional faggot, so no I don't RP ever.

Its what took Undertale from a great game to a phenomenal one

Goodbye thread, I hardly new ye.

*knew

no but no matter what kind of game it is if i don't have a companion everything is scary.

Gee, you must be fun at parties you big whiny tool. Somebody get this hothead outta here.

Yep- what's the point of playing an RPG if you don't consider things from your character's point of view? Even gigantic cock-mongling faggots like the poster above do it, just not consciously.

/thread

Yes. I have a horrible need to write things, and characters are probably the easiest to do but also the most enjoyable.

>>>/reddit/

You sound like one of those retarded play pretend faggots.
en.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Roleplaying
Is this you?

Always in roleplaying games

Yeah, fuck those faggots who roleplay in a roleplaying game.

come on now, I may not RP but by the time you start choosing a white character instead of a black one is already in RP territory, if you're playing a game where you recruit soldiers for example, sometimes you might exclude the black ones from the white ones, thats a form of RP because you don't want them niggers in your game or diversifying your shite.

A roleplaying game (RPG) is not a role playing game

It's unfortunate the industry grew into having such confusing terms for genres.

What are you, some sort of faggot?

Do go on about how acting is "delusional" user and how "roleplaying" doesn't mean "roleplaying."

Try to explain what a 4X or roguelike game is to a nongamer

RPGs are about character progression and rolling dice. Always have been. Hasnt changed. See: FF1 and DnD

PATHFINDER LEAVE REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They really ought to award prizes for this level of cock-gobbling stupidity. You do know that pretending is the same thing as being a retard, right?

I'm role playing

Your bait thread is garbage.

This is why new ttg is shit.
Every white wolf game, Call of Cthulhu, Fate and GURPS all have rules for playing without dice. The person who plays a roleplaying game just to roll dice is generally seen as That Guy.

rpgs aren't about playing pretend, rpgs are about distracting my autism with math and colors so the rest of my brain nap for a few hours

There's a pretty cool custom game for Neverwinter Nights 1 called Swordflight, wherein you get a little extra EXP points for taking dialogue choices that fit your character's alignment, even if it's against your detriment. Like playing a paladin/monk with high diplomacy and not trying to talk your way into a higher reward from people.
You don't get a whole lot, but I appreciate the effort.

You mean how playing pretend doesn't mean role playing.
Go ahead, see the link I posted and tell me how is that role playing, how does a game recognize you for doing it.

Only while playing Skyrim with lots of lewd mods, it makes things more interesting.
I usually get red guards to fuck my nord in-game wife, my character is usually a high elf male

Roleplaying means different things in the context of gameplay versus its use as a narrative/framing device. In the former context it means gameplay that is based on character progression and making choices that impact and direct this, whereas in the latter it is used as dressing to give context to actions and choices being made and to frame them in a way that makes them consistent within a given story.

Why does this need to be established nearly every time RPGs are discussed?

But actual roleplaying "in the context of gameplay" is impossible as long as there is no advanced enough machine intelligence in GM's role. The thing you speak about was created as a crutch to serve in lieu of a human GM.

This, I always think of a general background and theme for my character in RPGs, never too autistically detailed, but it sets some guidelines on how to build them and what choices to make.
It's never too autistically detailed, but that means I can also bend a little if the game doesn't provide fitting enough choices and otherwise breaks immersion.

Oh shit, I repeated the "autistically detailed" part, I might have autism.

Sometimes. Like in X-Com, I'd always imagine that every single crew member was a bumbling retard given a weapon. They would constantly make horrible and suicidal decisions in the middle of a fight and it made accepting the friendly fire, constant misses, and eventual death much easier to deal with.

But they are.

Wrong. The only a thing a tRPGs offers over cRPGs is a greater breadth of choices and long-term adaptability but this comes at the cost of far lesser complexity to the mechanics and less immediate adaptability. People already bitch at D&D 3.0e's combat systems, but imagine Morrowind's combat mechanics being implemented into a tabletop game with its big ass formulas every time a hit was made.
Hit Rate: (Weapon Skill + (Agility / 5) + (Luck / 10)) * (0.75 + 0.5 * Current Fatigue / Maximum Fatigue) + Fortify Attack Magnitude + Blind MagnitudeEvade: (Weapon Skill + (Agility / 5) + (Luck / 10)) * (0.75 + 0.5 * Current Fatigue / Maximum Fatigue) + Fortify Attack Magnitude + Blind MagnitudeTotal AR: Chest * 0.3 + (Shield + Head + Legs + Feet + Right Shoulder + Left Shoulder) * 0.1 + (Right Hand + Left Hand) * 0.05
Both mediums have their strengths and weaknesses, but neither are incapable of allowing for roleplaying gameplay in their design.

Yeah all the time, makes games much better. Otherwise you're just playing as some abstract force looking to maximize money, EXP or whatever. Totally kills the spirit of the game.

There is a literal exobrain the size of an adult human with a beak and tentacles hanging out of its bottom part floating above a young human male at the bottom of some part of an ocean floor, the buy crammed in a movement-restricting diving suit that does jack shit to protect against the immeasurably superior alien weapons despite being the best humanity has to offer. There is precious little light coming from scarce few sources that are too far away to really matter anyway. A first-person variation of TftD properly executed today utilizing modern muhgrapix technology would be horrifying to no end.

I like to extend that retardation to the scientists, engineers, and the commander to excuse the horrible decisions I've made during my game.

Even more horrifying is how those things like to sneak up on you or hide right around a corner for a quick and easy kill without any chance of reaction fire. Tftd would make for a wonderful horror game.

Wrong. Correct recognition of context pertaining to player actions is more important than both option selection and long-term consequences. I get why you're trying to defend the crutch-model, I like it too for what it does well, but it is inherently inferior to a model requiring an intelligence on par with that of the player.

It is perfectly feasible to utilize modern portable computational devices to alleviate the former and mitigate the latter to a great deal.

Agreed.

Nah, the computer imitations merely allowed to push CYOA to a next step in a ladder leading to true role-playing experience. They are not bad, just not real RPGs.

When its possible. Sometimes games just don't allow me to do shit. I don't like to start roleplaying and then suddenly have to complete a quest or make a decision my character wouldn't make at all. Like suddenly quest has only lawful good outcome, and nothing else, when you "have" to help somebody even though you aren't interested in that.

This reminds me of the first time I've seen Chryssies doing their thing right. I've failed that run because I just couldn't force myself to assault an alien base again.

Already is. I've often played it on something like 14" SVGAm monitor in complete darkness wearing headphones late at night. Blame young age for getting immersed by hueg pixels, but boy was it fun. Never finished the game as a kid.

>to a great degree
Slowfix.

I do "fashion" based roleplay.
For example i did Dark Souls as a Valchiria named Brunilde, with a thunder zweihander and medium armor/ no helm

typical goon response
I bet you also hate anime and thing everything that comes from Japan is weeb filth

Best funpost in the thread

This is probably the most true response, though.