"Awww shit" moments

Basically, I'm curious whether there are any other games that have moments where you immediately start to shit bricks - something like in Stalker where the sudden booming sound of an incoming blowout make all your hairs stand up and override most of your higher brain functions with the desire to GTFO and into the nearest shelter at full speed.

These moments could come from enemies (though ideally not bosses given that they are self-explaining), unexpected scripted events, or what do I know - I'm just looking for stuff that really gives you an adrenaline surge.

Bioshock Infinite, 1999 mode. Handymen are fucking ridiculous.

In dark souls when meeting a new enemy you'd be cautious until you could figure him out. Bloodborne however had too many motherfuckers that sometimes made my blood go cold.

It's mostly in the Soulsborne games, but really any time you and the enemy attack at the same time whenever it's the next hit wins.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Medal of Honor (2010), when you have to secure the LZ in the valley and you see the talibans coming from the top of the hills.

Dead Space 2. You know which act if you've played, otherwise it's a big spoiler.

When I reached the end of Oblivion.

The fucking steppe bandits in warband.
Always sanic fast with shit loads of cavalry archers, even if I win the battle the faggots kill most of my swordsmen.

This is why you need heavy cavalry in your life.

This board has really gone down the shitter, huh?

No shit, where have you been?

While Guthix Sleeps in runescape when Lucien single handedly wipes out your comrades without lifting a finger, all of which are characters you either interacted with through quests, or through daily use

I can't remember anything older, fam. Haven't replayed a lot of my all-time favourites in at least a decade and those I did don't have those situations.

Holy shit, did you know that these guys were literally based on the myth of the boogeyman? Talk about shitting on the pants.

Oh, shit, I just realized I do have one oldie that does it. Just got too used to it to count it towards this.

So there is this game called "King's Bounty" that at most 2 other anons who still go to this site played and maybe 10 more heard of.
There are enemy-controlled castles you can conquer which provides various benefits. One of those is you win the game if you take down every villain (a member of anti-crown conspiracy controlling a castle; some castles are controlled by no-ones). The last villain, a dragon, has a very strong army that seems impossible to beat to anyone who haven't mastered the game.

It didn't look that big from the cliff

And then you parry the drill and lose your mind

In Nier Automata when The EMP starts taking your mechanics away, including health bar, rendering the scene, dodging, jumping, etc.

You mean the whole game.

Also that moment you boot up Phantom Dust for the first time and you wonder if you accidentally turned on your 360 by mistake. That game was pretty.

When the fucking werewolf attacks you in the park in VtMB. I was completely unprepared for that shit, had no goddamn idea what to do and didn't have any significant speed or stealth abilities.

I remember being a huge dumbass and opening the observatory but just assuming it was another escape route and running out the timer rather than crush the werewolf Pretty tense either way

Still better than cuckchan Holla Forums

WAIT
WHAT.
YOU CAN CRUSH THE WEREWOLF WITH THE FUCKING.
WHAT.

Look it up, bruh. Believe me, it blew my mind too.

This post reminds me of Dark Souls

Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap Tap

Any time when you go in a building to hide from a very dangerous enemy and they start breaking down the fucking door and you realize you're ass is fucked. King Kong did this with the dinosaurs breaking down the stone structures you could hide in

Fun times. Kept trying to kill it on my first playthrough. Not having celerity or plenty of blood packs there must be a pain for a first-timer.

downvote negated

The end of Oblivion actually was really great at the time. Considering I was like like twelve and all.

hory shit

This was such an underrated game.

In the Division when I had good gear in the dark zone I always shitted bricks while waiting for the inevitable attack when the helicopter shows up to extract it. Also, seeing something disturbing at the start of a mission after enjoying the winter scenery on the way there.

DIVE DIVE HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT

Playing multiplayer. Hear arty, look to the sky. Are those to the left, no. Are they, fuck. RUN.

The dark souls of posts.

[heavy breathing]

That's AVP1 you ding dong

Also
Jesus christ those games were terrifying

the fucking xenos in AVP2 especially, they moved like goddamn cockroaches

While outlast is a flawed game, the courtyard part where you see the wallrider wandering around was fucking terrifying

Also, this made me shit bricks the first time that I saw it when I was little, it doesn't help the fact that depending on how you die, different tracks played, and one in particular made that screen that much terrifying to me.
I still have shivers to it even to this day.

You cannot stop me! No one can stop me! I am your doom!

The Prophecy Stone has gone boom, It has something to do with the tune, In order to avoid your doom, Just carefully search the room

Those goddamn skeletons in Dark Souls 1 must be hardest tier 1 enemies I ever face.

So many moveset, very quick and they aggros everywhere.

I wonder how many people gave up on Dark Souls after going the wrong way in the beginning and just getting fucked over repeatedly by those skeletons in the grave yard, and decided the game is just too damn hard. And even if you just ran past them all, life didn't get any easier in the catacombs.

I managed to kill everything including the mages, dodged the flying skulls and shit. Got to the catacombs and they fucked me sideways. At lest I got some neat weapons out of it, but it felt like bullshit.

Also, Lost Planet 2 is the "aww shit!" moment game by definition. Getting to operate the cannon, fighting huge monsters, getting inside said monsters. The game is simply great.

When the sun goes down in dying light and when you entered a tomb in morrowind and you hear a bonewalker, first time playing they fuck you over hard. Look creepy as shit too

i actually jumped

These fuckers on your first playthrough, particularly in Return to the Cathedral when three of the fuckers can end up running at you at once.

been a while since i played T1, don't they die in one backstab + one hit or something? The first time you encounter the mechanical cherub in T2 spooked me because i had no idea what it was going to do. I ended up wasting one of my invisibility potions to get by it

I knew exactly what was behind that spoiler.

In Dark Souls I reached a bonfire in the catacombs but the enemies ahead were way too powerful and I couldn't go backward because the enemies I ran past to get there were also too powerful. I did eventually get lucky and made it out of there, but had several awww shit moments at that bonfire after dying so quickly that almost made me restart the game completely.

Most of these answers are shit. When you say aww shit the difficulty has been upped in a completely unexpected way but you're absolutely sure it will fuck you in the ass based on common sense or mechanics the game has already taught you. Pic related.

Fuck those niggers.

But that's not the first time the game takes Witch Time away from you.

No bro. Down in the bonehoard. The part where you go through a series of secret passages disconnected from the main part of the level, only to come upon a gigantic room with tile floor and nothing in it. All the sudden the lights go out except for a spotlight and that motherfucker is standing in in it.

It has more to do with Grace and Glory than it does with Witch Time.

The pawns never stood a chance

One backstab or three full charged hits if they're alerted (iirc flash bombs are two hits to kill too). Not so threatening on a second playthrough but being rushed by multiple at once if you're inexperienced is not a nice experience, particularly when they're all shouting their crazy shit at you.

That also.

Reported for baiting.

Encuntering orks and their dogs in 1st chapter of Gothic, or wandering too deep into the forest and getting ambushed by a shadowbeast.

Them and the burning shadow. What's worse, if you are too slow, both of them seem to be able to "sense" you no matter where you go.

They are not as bad as people make them out to be. As long as you know about the combo offset you are gonna be fine. Airborne combos help a lot too.

No. The real adrenaline rush is when that thing uncovers you. No flight from an enemy in any other game has been so intense.

They where really easy enemies to deal with. It's just the fucking sound design.
THE FUCKING SOUND DESIGN

This fucking moment. Fuck this moment. All his statements are pure angry, and he can practically oneshot you, and it took an entire army, a traitor, several parties that you control one after the other, and it all comes down to this moment. This is the actual climax of the game.

There was also that special moment after you defeat Sun Hai. Come on, I know you're here, that other user who played Jade Empire.

Good game, too repetitive for me after about 6 hours

I bet you haven't even gone with Ling (Leaping Tiger). Not to mention didn't start a Grand Master run.

Was there any traitor?
or was it jowy?

Goddamn you fucking niggers disgust me.

Reminder this is still a thing

Yes
Jowy was the traitor
He lets you know where Luca is beforehand so you can ambush him without his full army

The point is that both are pretty advanced for so early in the game. And then you get an advanced version of the enemies who are quicker and will fuck your shit up. Even Kamiya said these guys were tricky so you were better off using shotguns to put them in a stunned animation or using the Moon on a later playthrough. Point is they're pretty advanced enemies compared to the rest. I have a harder time with them then I do Joy.

meant for

I'm surprised these weren't posted before

Stalker, whenever you hear see a Bloodsucker and it goes invisible.

They're slow as fuck so I wouldn't worry about them. But damn son, what version is that?

I could deal with pretty much every enemy just fine, but Fleshpounds and the Patriarch gave me the willies something fierce. Especially with sharpshooter if you didn't have a grenade launcher. Even worse if you were cut off from teammates.

I think you're supposed to figure it out while running around the map away from the werewolf, and with a little bit of luck. I played Toreador my first playthrough and Celerity was a fucking boon for that level. I opened the observatory door then just sat around waiting for something to happen, shit my pants at the sound and sight of the werewolf and hit the button to close the door in the hopes that it would block it off, instead I just watched in disbelief as it got crushed and my heart rate when back to normal. Fuck what a great game

An old one I pulled from the internet.
Still when you have a second of inattention and they engage you at night.

And people don't believe me when i say this place is a reddit majority

I do believe you. Every time I read your posts I tell myself "this fellow anonymous is absolutely right, I wish I could upvote such awareness"

Honestly thought these faggots were harder to deal with than most of the bosses.

Sharpshooter here. Dual deagles and M14 EBR all day every day.
Literally every shot you make should be a headshot, because headshots motherfucker, they work.

Come on user, it's literally the whole title.

Dark Souls with those goofy frogs that curse you in the Depths

Well that's pretty much the one area where Thief 1 and 2 are still ahead of modern vidya. Not just in terms of atmosphere but in terms of tech.

Stop being faggots.

You're missing in the Overcuck threads.

Fuck off, this is not your hugbox.

Fucking lol

user, please.

Lurk more.

That's the argument you're defending, a stupid blanket statement by another user.
Stop putting words where there aren't.

These non-arguments are getting annoying fast.

Also, Mount and Blade Prophecy of Pendor, fucking demonic armies.

There's nothing blanket about it. The industry went downhill post 2007. We get gems every so often but good vidya is scarcer and you know it. Lurk more or fuck off. Meta posting is cancer.

You're making the most obvious Do I fit in yet? replies I've ever seen on the chans. You're the one who needs to fuck off.

How embarrassing.

Still waiting for those video games.

Faggot.

Best oh shit moment I've ever had is when I was playing ARMA 2 with some guys from half/v/ back in the day and we told the guy flying the Thunderbolt to do a strafing run on what he was convinced was an enemy unit and we saw him turn towards us and dip his nose down. Scared the shit out of us all.

Joke's on you, I have a PS3

Can we have "awww shit" in terms of joy as well? Otherwise, most Touhou final bosses.

You mean the ones that build the bar so slowly that you almost have to be trying to be cursed by them, even at 0 humanity? I still don't understand why there's ever statues in those areas, they're such a non-threat.

Ain't that the truth.

Revolver Ocelot (Revolver Ocelot).

The last card in PCB still gives me goosebumps every time.
ZUN definitely has talent. I wish he learned how to draw and cleaned his music up a bit, the games would be amazing.

I fucking love jade empire. And yeah, that "special flaw" everyone kept noticing actually becoming a major plot point was pretty crazy. My xbox froze the first time this scene happened and I thought it was the end of the game or something, was royally pissed off until i rebooted.

ps my favorite harmonic combo was paralyzing palm's. I'd turn every enemy into stone and then take my time running around one by one crumbling them with one hit.

Here's one I'm sure everybody can agree is fucking terrifying under most circumstances. Also pic 2 is just for any time you hear an alarm.

That's nice user. Go to bed.

Stop posting post 2007 garbage

>FatherRodin

Stay buttmad newfag.

At least I don't look like a retard that goes against his own arguments.

Please point to where I said every single game post 2007 was absolute shit. You're arguing like a grade schooler now. I was serious when I said to go to bed.

I came back here just to call you a faggot.

volcanic_eruption_tier_butthurt.webm
I would've punched through a wall probably.

I remember having some trouble with it, but might've been due to KB+mouse.
You've tried Leaping Tiger, right? It stunlocks any enemy (except bosses) you're targeting unless it's Grand Master difficulty. But several enemies at once is a lot of fun as you have to constantly move and switch targets.

here

Did you even read the post? I never said all vidya is shit post 2007. I'm done with you, you're too retarded to have a discussion with.

It doesn't matter, I already made you admit that I was right all along.

ARK Primitive+
You're gonna shit yourself everytime you're being hunted.
It even has a Monster Hunter mod now which is pretty rad.

Gonna need a pretty high-end rig so it doesn't look like garbage though.

>>>/reddit/

This game has been wonderful to me so far. So many smart design decisions. The biggest shit-my-pants moment came when I fell into the Deepnest after finding the breakable wall in the Fungal Wastes.

It caught me completely off guard, and I felt genuine panic as I fell down three or four screens only to land at the bottom of some hellish pit and be attacked by a silverfish as big as me. I was carrying a lot of money at the time, too, so finding my way back up the chasm without properly configured charms was like walking a tightrope.

The sound effects and lack of music in that area contribute so much to the atmosphere. I just wish the combat was deeper.

That was when I understood the game was only going to escalate from there

I'd buy it because the asking price isn't really that steep, but I need to know if they fixed this shit.

EDF has a lot of "oh shit" moments in general.

Well, there isn't that much. Are you talking about the hitstop or was there a technical issue with your version? They've patched the game a couple times since launch so any technical issues were likely ironed out.

When you say "I hit something" does this mean you hit something with your nail or being hit by something?

I think he means when he gets hit. In which case the solution is simple.

Technical issue. When I strike an enemy, the game freezes for two seconds.

When this fucker bombs you like you're Dresden.

The USA have joined the Allies

this right here was the best "oh shit" moment. especially the 1st time i got this far on inferno.

you see the mess on the radar but see nothing. then you see a black void and a few ants so you fire a rocket. the rocket lights up the room and you realize youre in a swarm.

i made this clip because it was the only gameplay footage of this part i could find and the faggot's playing on easy… but yea, this is much more dangerous on any other difficulty, but you still get the idea.

when you fight this motherfucker and read his power levels

Has anyone ever modded HOI to make it possible to remove the US from jewish control? There’s an artificial allied drift (because kikes and only because kikes) that should be removable through events that either depose Roosevelt or change the media in some way.

Yeah, I haven't run into that. If you torrent/buy the latest version it should be fine.

>NO ONE STOOOOPPPPPSSSSS

Parasite Eve 2 is full of oh shit moments (bosses too, but). Like when Aya finds out where ANMCs come from or the cutscene where the GOLEMs wake up.

The regular enemies tho. Anywhere two Chasers appear you stand the chance of being gangbanged. Anywhere Scavengers appear, gangbang. Horned Stranger? gangbang. Two Brainstingers? How about Knight golems? Gangbang.

The game really punishes you for sucking. On Bounty, Scavenger and Nightmare modes, most regular encounters facilitate an oh shit moment.

It didn't.
But after a few minutes of playing the freezes start to disappear so it's annoying but playable. Loading between areas is still like 15 seconds long and there's always some new particle effect that freezes all over again. Lowering particles doesn't help, but it's a known problem and I've made my own bug report so we'll see.

That part in halflife 1 where you're crawling through a vent and the grunts hear you and start shooting it up from one end to the other.

Also this

Some examples come to mind that are still very vivid.

Some examples come to mind that are still very vivid.

HOTWHEELS!!!

STALKER blowouts are really the only "oh shit" moment in all of vidya. Everything else is just an "oh crud" moment by comparison.

They won't do shit all but send a handful of scripted troops to Europe. Then again any halfway decent player could conquer most of the world playing as fucking Brazil so that's not uncommon.

Those brain niggers are the worst.

I was playing Siege the other day in Bank and I was standing in front of the vault looking at the stairs, but then I hear some niggers in the elevator so I look over there and sure enough FOUR niggers were standing on the hatch I killed 3 with SMG-11 spray and the other I killed with my shotgun. Actually said oh shit when they dropped.
This mission was fucking great too bad the campaign was short as hell.

Ain't that bad when you learn to parry them.

Shadowlord did nothing wrong.

Basilisks surprise you the first time because they're down a hole, are in large numbers, and attack in a way you haven't seen up until now. It's all made to make you panic and realize there's even a bar only after you're surrounded and can't see shit. When you know about them advance though, they're indeed a non-threat.

Blowouts are fucking awesome

your mom was an oh crud moment

You don't need to kill anything to win the game
Killing everything does nothing

I was Gangrel so boy was I fucking glad I figured it out in time. Fucker gave me such a heart attack when he broke through the fucking wall to get me when I was hiding, I didn't expect it at all

As in mistaking the scepter location would be impossible.