Grim Dawn Thread

Who's still playing? Post your waifus.

Other urls found in this thread:

grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Mistborn_Talisman_(relic)
grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Shard_of_Beronath
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660379177
grimcalc.com/build/1009-Dwtehd
grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53449
grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Wildcaller
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not touching until the expansion. Which incidentally was supposed to be last month. Devs being gay about updates. Starsector in meantime.

Is this game is exactly what Van Helsing Final Cut is? Because they are so damn similar.

expansion when faglords? I was told there'd be necromancers, where are my necromancers?

Decided to try something actually viable after reaching Ult with a 2H ranged commando and hitting a brick wall. serves me right for trying to play a caster class.

Doesn't Van Helsing have those tower defense segments or are those in Grim Dawn too?

I've been playing with the Cataclysm mod.
I've not been a big fan of gunslingers in GD, and I've dumped nearly 400 hours into this, nor have I ever only progressed with one class, but here I am playing as a Stalker running around acting like I'm playing a top-down third person shooter. Rifles kick fucking ass.

Holy shit that's a sexy looking build.

Does it actually fix 2H ranged being the single worst weapon class in the game? Because that was the biggest disappointment compared to bow builds in TQ.

Doing one exclusive damage type is really fun optimization-wise, and so is turning whole mobs into pasta sauce on crits.

Everyone says Royal Hive but I haven't gotten anything from it.

Deadman's gulch dynamite chest in the mountain deeps.

Thanks. Liking those dubs too.

Yeah, it's got a line of skills specifically for 2 handed ranged weapons, and they are all fucking great. I can't wait to get the one that gives you a chance to fire 3 shots instead of 1, I wonder how that interacts with the other skill that lets you do the same thing?

Welp.

Beats having to wear a skirt no matter what your armor was in TQ.

There are mods for that. Some of them are even lewd.

Go on.

You want a mod called Allskins. (for the lewd skins you need an ingame unlock code it's "696969" to get an item that summons the lewd skins vendor. It doesn't affect any armor you're wearing, only the basic model underneath, so don't wear anything to "covering".

Skirts are awesome. There aren't nearly enough games where you can be a man in a skirt. Morrowind is basically the only other one I can think of.

There were moments where I'd prefer that my heavily armored warrior who can facetank the Lernean Hydra didn't look like a participant in a gay pride parade. Although it's fitting, considering the setting.

Well if you want your character to be such a badass, stop projecting your insecurities on him. He's not some nu-male faggot, after all. You are.

This, I really like the game but the atmosphere sucks ass and I couldn't give less of a shit about the game world. Which is a shame because Titan Quest had a really cool world and good atmosphere.

This, I really like the game but the atmosphere sucks ass and I couldn't give less of a shit about the game world. Which is a shame because Titan Quest had a really cool world and good atmosphere.

Nice try, hom.

Leaving aside the overt projection of your flaming faggotry, wearing plate from the waist up and nothing below is just a shit aesthetic.

Oh yeah, I'm playing the shit out of it.
Yes sir.
All day erry day.
Love it to BITS!

Life is pain.
Why live?

I'm not a nu-male faggot, I'm a regular faggot. The nu is all you.

Plate under the skirt, you dumb cunt.

As far as atmosphere of GD - I just couldn't get past the steampunk after end of the world theme. At times it felt so much like a straight up fantasy - similar aesthetic to D2 in some areas, but then those puritan-type hats and guns pop-up once in a while it just doesn't fit in.
Otherwise probably one of the better ARPGs in recent years, not that there is much competition anyway.

If that pic was suppose to convince anyone, I don't want it and never will. Sacred 2 designs a shit.

What?

Sacred 2 autist really likes the game.

I normally don't like melee characters, but soldier is fun as hell. Shield slamming people off of cliffs and crit gibs is satisfying on a spiritual level

So, have there been any updates/expansions since Grim Dawn launched? I remember it had very few classes to choose from and they were kinda meh.

That's funny, I can never seem to make melee classes work for me. How do you do it?

Well, there's Port Valbury, the Aetherial skeleton key dungeon, and I believe they've added a bunch of items since the beginning of 2016. There's the Crucible, but that's actual DLC. Fun, if you like slaughtering waves of enemies, but not the best for actually grinding new weapons and shit.
They're adding the Necromancer and Inquisitor classes, but there's plenty of mods that add new classes that you can use right now.

Soldier as your base for survivability, Cadence, physical damage, and OA/DA. Then dip one of the following for your pure phys build:
Alternatively, you can go blademaster to turn into a human lawnmower at the expense of getting one-shot by some attacks.

Go ahead and point out where there's any armor on his legs, fag.

There's clearly armor on like, half his legs.

And none under the skirt, which was the whole point of why the tunics in Titan Quest look like shit.

But Sacred 2 has a terrible art style.

I don't really know, I'm going blademaster with all offensive skills and all defensive devotions. Lots of fun but I'm probably going to get shit on in the higher difficulties

It's like you hate anime or something.

Give it another chance.

I can't help it, game checks all autismboxes inside my head.

I never expected to enjoy vidya this much again.

Demo/Nightblade? I never figured that would work.

I'l ask in this thread. Which game is the best from all those:

Because i only want to install one. Which will keep me playing the longest? Or generally what is the best 3d diablo clone?

Technical name for the hybrid is the Saboteur. Never would have guessed it would work either, but I found a build and it looked weird, so I thought I'd try it. I'm absolutely melting shit.

Grim Dawn. It was literally created because the devs are massive fanboys of Diablo 2 and despised Diablo 3.

Well, you're posting in a Grim Dawn thread, so I wonder what kind of answers you'll get. Of those, I've put over 400+ hours into GD, but I never played Sacred 2 or Van Helsing, so take this post with a grain of salt.

How is it that people do these builds that seem totally crazy to me and they work, but I try and go for what seems obviously synergistic and I get BTFO? I must be bad at these games.

I feel you on that user. Every time I feel like I'm getting a grasp on certain things in vidya, a whole new meta comes out that dominates anything I could come up with. I'm willing to blame it on the fact that I play a variety of shit, rather than dedicate all my time to one thing.

I just don't want to install lots of video games, i usually end up playing them less if i have a lot installed.
There are so many diablo clones if you look at it, can't really try them all extensively.

I heard Torchlight 2 is dumbed down, get TL1.

its not dumb downed, its just a diablo 2 clone. it doesnt do anything new and it just doesnt have an identity of its own. however if you like arpgs, it holds up. it has mod support

goddammit i hate when all my work just disappears

You must have pissed someone off.

You honestly deserved it.

I got a gayman mouse and grim dawn was the first game I could think of that'd benefit from a button readily available on the thumb, so I got back into it. My soldier/shaman tank caracter is unkillable by anything in elite so far.
I have misgiving about my nightblade/occultist though, he doesn't have an attack replacement skill to his name and that's a huge minus given the importance of devotions. I heard some troll bosses drop a talisman blueprint with such a skill, but the smuggler's pass boss is giving me nothing so far.

grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Mistborn_Talisman_(relic)
Keep farming. If you can hack it, try the boss in East Marsh as well, since he offers better loot and offers a change of pace. Eventually, you'll just be using one of these in a weapon as your default attack: grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Shard_of_Beronath

Look on the bright side, though: at least you'll be a squishy build that can still take on Fabius and not die instantly.

Since Im done with path of exile what should I roll while waiting for the expansion? I was thinking on something melee but I'm not that familiar with melee classes on GD 'cause I have mostly rolled ranged

Use poison skills and hit and run. Eye of dreeg with the modifier and shadow strike both have a decently long enough cooldown to proc devotions. I played an occultist/arcanist and eye of dreeg with abomination devotion and some poison skills from various gear was already enough to kill most enemies in a manageable time. I imagine an occultist/nightblade could kill much faster with the extra sources of poison. You can also use venom tipped ammo too for a spammy poison/acid attack that also nicely reduces enemy resistance. Doombolt also has a 100% chance to proc most devotions iirc.

I've got a bleed variant of this too, the problem? Itemization in this game is shit and you basically have equal gear up to a point where you end up seeing immensely imbalanced legendaries for a few styles of character and garbage for most of them. Which is weird because there are so few classes to begin with that there aren't even that many types of character to be despite how it seems early on.

t. 715 hours of this shit

Yeah, I've got dynamite so I'll try east marsh.

I'm mostly nightblade/bleed with him though, occultist only brings pets and curse of frailty to the table. So eye of dreeg, being ranged, isn't really an option.

That's what's absolute shit about the gear being Wakfu tier +element %, Diablo 2's itemization was better.

I have three toons with absolutely crippling weaknesses and I honestly have no idea how I got into this situation.

First char: Sorcerer, dual wielding guns, start with flash freeze, flashbang, have elemental storm and breach binded to fire strike and the flashbang respectively. Spend my devotion on getting blind sage and elemental seeker for elemental DOTs.
Defenses eat shit, a stiff breeze can gore me. I tried farming Fabius in Ultimate for gear but the second he reappears from the shadows my character turns into pink mist and farming him on normal-veteran yields shit tier results. I need Ulzuin's set to make him a powerhouse + exterminus (going for fire + chaos gunslinger sorcerer build).

To overcome being a paper tiger I went with a warder this time. And to optimize my autism I went with a pure fucking thorns build warder with savage strike as my only secondary damage dealing skills (I called her Lalatina). I maxed wendigo totem with overguard and the only time I came close to activating menhir's will was when I stood in 3 different overlapping pools of blood and acid for something close to a minute.
90% of all enemies kill themselves against my thorns but casters drive me nuts. I have to spend between 5 to 10 minutes just holding the savage strikes/autoattack button pressed just to get through elites-bosses that do not have melee attacks.

I know for a fact that fabius will eat shit when faced against my warder so I have a good farming strategy. Still, it makes me want to kill myself out of boredom. I'm leveling a blademaster with the intention of making him tanky enough with all soldier buffs but is it still a good balance of offense and defense or will it be one-shotted in elite?

tl;dr - too autistic to find a middle ground character and I need a farming build. Suggestions?

Well that's your problem. Warder can have all the thorns he needs from the perdition set (minus shield). There is ample opportunity to deal respectable damage with bleeding/trauma/lightning. Nothing close to a glass cannon and casters will still be a pain, but my warder definitely isn't just a spiky wall.

There's real issues in the way skills relate to the itemization's lacking spots too. The extremely limited class abilities pretty much put you in a spot where there's only really 1 or 2 ways to effectively use a specific damage type in a specific way and there are quirks with certain skills that make them so shit that it then becomes a non-option for anything but a knowingly mediocre build that's contained to meme content. Then there's the fact that Soldier and Shaman are basically 90% of a character's survivability, Nightblade is an offensive powerhouse because stacking negative resistance is better than stacking damage (though NB does both well) for damage. What basically happens with all of my characters is they either go /Nightblade or /Shaman or god forbid in the case of my best bleed build Nightblade/Shaman. D2 was a better game than GD at the end of the day, it doesn't really hold a candle to it - it's better than Titan Quest though.

I blame my autism for that one. Can you give an overview of what skills did you specialize on and which devotions did you pick? Because I only have thorns: both in skills (level 50 soldier skill, modgrogen's pact, etc) and in devotion (hound, messenger of war, etc).

I heard it was meant to come out in Q2 this year, and there's still the whole of May and June, so maybe they'll make it.
As if.

I mean, sure, being a lvl 50 item, it's shit as far as Legendaries go, but that shouldn't stop you.

Treasure Troves. All of them have a really high chance to give a Tainted Brain Matter, Blood of Ch'thon or Ancient Heart, all of which can be switched between one another at the Necropolis blacksmith.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660379177

Nex and Ortus Saboteurs are nice, I guess, even if they do have a high novelty factor.
Good luck getting them, though.

I'm in no way an authority on warder, I just did what I felt like doing and it ended up working well enough. First off, my survivability is entirely HP regen based. Dump everything into physique, wendigo totem replenishes a percentage of HP so a fuckhuge HP bar basically means you regen through everything. Most of my devotions were picked for this in mind, they all give physique in some capacity, but bull also boosts your physical/trauma damage and a nice devotion skill to bind to savagery. Once you get behemoth you're FUCKING INVINCIBLE. You'll want to focus on shaman, soldier is mostly here for passive skills and Blitz. Blitz is fucking great as it can catch up to every annoying ranged faggot in no time and has nice trauma damage that complements Bull. My other three main skills being primal strike, forecewave and wind devil for lowering enemy defences.

You're probably struggling with Fabius because he's the exact type of nemesis built to vaporize low-DA casters who try to kite. You're better off trying the Cthonian nemesis, who is slow as molasses and can be kited indefinitely. However, if you want a nemesis-killer, here's the warder build I use from >>12450527: grimcalc.com/build/1009-Dwtehd

This is with a +5 to soldier and +1 to shaman from gear, but nothing short of crucible's multi-nemesis waves will put a scratch on it. It's all physical damage, with ~60% enemy phys reduction and the possibility of hot-swapping to a Black Star to add on an extra 15.

That's exactly what I was using up until 75, but Leviathan is the exact same weapon with superior stats. My autism demands efficiency over fashion.

HP regen starts to wane on Ultimate, when something like Shar'Zul or Fabius will chew through 12k hp in 3-4 seconds wiithout a good dose of %attack to health. Also, you really want to pump up one of your masteries to get an exclusive skill, probably Primal Bond or Stormcaller.

God damn, PICK ONE AND JACK IT UP

New Grim Misadventure today. What do oyu guys want to see besides a release date?

I know that's what I ought to do, yes. But I figure I'll keep going with this stupid skill distribution as long as it works and optimize when I hit a wall.

Inquisitor/Necromancer skill trees or new skills for old masteries would be pretty cool.
New factions would intrigue me, too.

My build is basically "FUCK YOU, HAVE A TOTEM" and vitality damage.

A beast nemesis would be pretty cool. Mad Queen is nice, but it would be cool to see some kind of multi-enemy boss that counts as one, like the fates in IT. Or just a really big boar.

So, full defense and onto reducing phys defense of my enemies. Go for a 2 hander and ditch the thorns build. I'm crossing my fingers here but I'm currently level 42 with the warder, any suggestion on whether I should get 1 skill maxed and the start spreading over the rest or should I level them all up evenly?

That was the idea with the warder: get hp to 24K for health regen. Have only thorns damage and multitask with something else on my second screen. Turns out I have a lot less patience than I thought. But I have given my blademaster bliz and alongside shadowstrike I'm jumping between mobs like I'm on meth.

Anyways, thank you both for the advice, I'm really wanting to like this game but I haven't found a build that just feels right.

I'd advise you to rush to 50 in soldier, grab Oleron's Rage, and max Cadence/Deadly Momentum. Alongside Heart of the Wild, you'll have great damage and survivability, easily enough to carry you with good gear. Then you can start filling out squad command, blitz, the bottom row of passives, and seeing where else you want to round out your build. There's a lot of contention on whether Primal Bond beats Oleron's for physical builds, thanks to the flat damage absorption; if you use the character for farming, that extra run speed is extremely important for cutting down on time. Farm up a good Gollus's ring as well, it's probably the best item for that slot.

Two of his unique Legendaries, both of which I didn't have.
Fucking hell.

TL1 is even more dumbed down than TL2!
I like both games, but there's no denying they're a lot simpler and easier than D2 in terms of mechanics and difficulty.
TL2 retains TL1's skill progression system that will piss off a lot of D2 purists because it let's you use unlock skill in the same tier even if you didn't invest any points into their respective skill tree.
In other words, each character has 3 trees with sister branches in TL1 and in TL2 your skills are locked off with levels.
And if you look at all the character's skill trees in TL1 you'll notice that they only have 3-4 character exclusive skills down the middle, while all skills to left and right of those are shared by all 3 classes (more armor, more efficient summoning spells, etc.).
Plus, you can carry a ridiculous amount of potions on your character at any time and there is no cooldown on those, at least in TL2, can't recall if there is one in TL1. I remember playing NG++ with a friend of mine and we were chugging health potions every couple of seconds because of the scaled damage. Every other hit could be fatal.
Still, it's not as dumbed down as Diablo 3.

man, I should really start proofreading my posts before posting them.

Somehow all of my legendaries either come from the most basic bosses like the wasp hives, or from runs on torment/valbury where the nemesis pops up. No middle ground.

Nemeses haven't been kind to me lately.
About 80% of the notable loot they give me is Epics.
Nowadays, I'm more excited about hoarding rare crafting materials from treasure troves/bosses, exchanging them into the type I need at the Necropolis and gambling with the Celestial Blacksmith in Tyrant's Hold.

They've really exacerbated it with the clones of John Bourbon, though. At least Toxeus had the courtesy of insta-killing you at only a 50-50 rate, and the uniques were better. If they ever carry something over from IT, it should definitely be that red bastard.

I should get on that.

If you're going Ultimate, don't forget to max that cold resistance.

What does it mean to go Ultimate?

Difficulty.
Normal-Elite-Ultimate.
There used to be a bug where if you were fast enough in the main menu, you could start an Ultimate game with your save, but they since fixed it.

Game has four difficulties: Normal/Veteran, Elite and Ultimate.
You unlock Elite by beating Normal/Veteran and Ultimate by beating Elite.
In Elite, your core resistances are cut by 25%, which increases to 50% in Ultimate, and if you don't make up for it, the lightest gale can turn you into mush.

It's not really relevant to you if you're not aware of it, though, so don't mind it.

Oh I see. I never actually even beat the game, so I'm stuck on Normal still.

Should've started on Veteran, the increase in difficulty might kick your Normal ass with the basic equipment you got from the first campaign.

Oh, that's what I did. I'm still stuck on normal though, and I'm using the build that posted, which is causing me to absolutely destroy whatever comes near me.

grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53449
Pretty disappointing.

This is cool though.

That silver faceplate from the second set is bretty good. Needs a gold retexture and I can finally pretend to be Rimanah.

It looks like a duplicate of another occultist set though, even with the same antlers.

Well, at least we'll have Illusionists, and those seem like pretty decent choices for dress-up.

Which one? The closest thing I can find to this set is the Windcaller.
grimdawn.wikia.com/wiki/Wildcaller

Also Eldritch Gaze and Covenant of the Three. Occultist just has a lot of antler imagery that this seems to be duplicating.

Oh yeah, I see it.
Damn shame. Occultist's set is supposed to resemble rot and decay, instead it just resembled a dead husk of a tree, an old stump.
But Necro/Shaman set looks almost on point with the class, at least the Shaman part - elder antlers and oaken shield, sorcery of the woods. If it were up to me I'd at the very least add a couple of skulls and colored it light gray or white to closer resemble bone.
They all look nice, but there's little to differentiate them.
Shit, I have an account on those forums, maybe I can post this if I remember the login info.

They should add some glowing green eyes all over this one.
It'd look cool, make it easy to differentiate from the other sets and even fit the lore, with it being "Shroud of Dreeg" and Dreeg being an eldritch creature made of infinite eyes and spikes.

do you have to be 89iq to enjoy Grim Dawn and other ARPG's?

shits boring as fuck. you just right click boring zombies to death, get items and right click harder enemies. bosses just need lots of right clicks to kill

Yes. Go play something else, Grim Dawn isn't worth your time.

That really assblasted my aetherials

I love music and getting loot. And a mix of both doesn't devalue either of them.
ARPGs being basic is a positive in my case because I can just run my winamp while playing and switch between focusing on the game or the music, depending on which is more boring at that particular moment.

I hear others play ARPGs while listening to audiobooks or podcasts or whatever.
More power to them, I say.

Yes, a game this game requires mouse clicks to progress through out. Perhaps something with a console controller is more for you.

TQ and Grimdawn never stuck with me and I've played poe of exile for like 5k hours

I'm running through the game again as an occultist. I'm playing poison right now, but want to switch to Vit/Chaos damage later. I also haven't picked a second class. What do.

Go arcanist secondary for albrecht's aether ray and maiven's sphere of protection to become the red laser beam chaos debuffing man

Or if you're not interested in chaos lasers, Shaman and Nightblade have good support for vitality damage.

How's act 5 going to impact leveling? Leveling new characters already takes quite a long time even if you keep good leveling gear and I assume act 5 will be more like act 1/2 and not as short as act 4.

You could either go Arcanist and use Albrecht's Aether Ray with the transmute, go Nightblade and use Phantasmal Blades with transmute (don't know if this is actually decent) or go Shaman and use pretty much pure vitality damage.

So can I'd take shaman for Wendigo Totem and then also abuse sigil of consumption and solaels witchfire?

Solaels only works for weapon attacks. You could even get Storm Totem and transmute it for more vitality damage and Devouring Swarm is a must have. I made a vitality caster like that half a year ago and it sucked so bad I dropped it at level ~40 but they buffed most of the skills so maybe it's not as horrible now.

yeah it looks like its heavily item dependant, but for sure viable. Not as good as eyespam, but I find that boring anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Do I dare hope we'll get to have a skelly army as good as Diablo 2?

Game is modable. I hope so.

Would be really nice if the devs made it so good we didn't have to mod it.

One can dream, user.
One can only dream…
My Conjurer build summoned 4 creatures on command (3 class skills + 1 offhand item granted skill), 2 triggered by items and a bunch of itsy bitsy skellys tied to kills and Devotion.
If I had a fully leveled character, I could summon even more skellys and 2 more skill creatures (Familiar and Primal Spirit).

If the Death's Vigil mooks are anything to go by, the armies can be pretty impressive.

But you always encounter them in groups.

I saw significant amounts of bonebros even when the Death's Vigil mooks were reduced to 2 or so.
Mind you, this is when I'm allied with them and see them fighting Kymon's people around the Archon's tomb or someplace else.

ACTUAL PROTIP: Your devotions are more likely to proc depending upon how long its associated skill is on cooldown. The higher the cooldown, the higher the proc chance, all the way up to 100%.

I dig the edgy hood from the Dreadwalker set. Something about big, poofy hoods always gets me.

What this dude said. I have Aetherfire attached to canister bomb which gives it a 100% proc rate. It usually spawns 3-4 patches of aetherfire per use.

Wait, so the longer the cooldown is on the skill, the higher the chance of the devotion bonus to proc?
I usually just map it to something that hits a lot in a short span of time, e.g. Vampiric Fangs bound to Grasping Vines. I usually get 2-3 procs while the skill lasts and since it's an AoE, it hits multiple targets multiple times.
My skellys are bound to Dreeg's Evil Eye with Focused game (instead of spamming a lot of little eyes, you drop a big acid grenade with a cooldown) and I end up with about 3 skeletons by the time a regular mob is cleared.

So I think I'm doing fine this way.

It's balanced either way, so you should think more about how the devotion interacts with your skill rather than how much you can proc it.

Yeah I think my build works, it's just a little slow at mowing down everyone and I myself have little to do but wait for my pets to do the work for me while I cast AoEs.
You can see my playstyle in the video i posted earlier
I also have an Arcanist that's basically a glass cannon with a perpetually empty energy bar. Can't even recall which devotions I have for her, I think they're all just passives…

I've got to say. I switched my turtle warder for a 2 hander; ditched the thorns perdition set for a guardsman and started stacking phis and bleeding and rounding up defenses.

I have to keep an eye on my health bar since the Totem is not 100% flawless but I must say that I am greatly enjoying the "crush all nerds" approach to this build: blitz, totem, cadence, crush nerds.

Works like a charm.