Do you think the Macbook's touchbar would be useful in video games?

Do you think the Macbook's touchbar would be useful in video games?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/BW-3-5-Inch-Monitor-Automobile/dp/B0045IIZKU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493427700&sr=1-1&keywords=mini monitor
amazon.com/Elecrow-RPA05010R-800x480-Display-Raspberry/dp/B013JECYF2/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493427700&sr=1-4&keywords=mini monitor
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-cadet_keyboard
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Oh boy! I can't wait to pay triple of the MSRP. Something that is already inflated to begin with!

I can't stand keyboards like this. They are garbage for video games to begin with.

This better be a marathon thread. If not get the fuck out.

It lacks the same form factor that makes dual desktop displays, or dual displays in handhelds good.
Which makes general use worse.
It's fucking up the issue of a vertical field of view with a horizontal point of interest.
At best
It'd be useful to those with vertical fields of view, like goats.

This technology will most likely become widespread in other laptops in the future. Whenever Apple does something with their laptops it tends to become mainstream. Like most laptops have chiclet keyboards entirely because of Apple.

I can't imagine actually running an application on it. But I could imagine something like the pic I linked in the OP. Like displaying the game's hud on the touch bar. Or information like how much time you're taking to complete a level/frames per second etc.

When Apple does anything, it's because they copied something, then marketed it as if they were innovators. Their cult of double-digit IQ trust funded retards lap it up.

This shit has been done earlier and better, but yes, please, let me look away from my monitor and move my hands out of the way so I can read information on a thin strip at the head of my keyboard.

Chiclet keyboards in laptops predate apple laptops you dumbass.

Ask anyone about huds in videogames and they can tell you the most important thing is to have it where you can see it at a glance while minimizing time spent averting view from the action. It'd be acceptable in lower pace games but in anything with medium to high intensity it'd be shit if not actively a disadvantage.

Chiclet keys have been around since the 1970s. They didn't become widespread in computing til Apple started using it in all of their keyboards. Nowadays it's hard to find laptops that don't copy this same style and layout.

I'm not saying they created anything I'm just pointing out that laptop manufacturers tend to copy everything Apple does.

What ami looking at? A keyboard with a touchscreen on top? For vidya? Not going to work, you cant reinvent the wheel, keyboard/mouse combo is simple, why would devs waste time on shit that only a few users will have?

I havent seen a big difference with laptops since forever, they all looks and work the same, they some with gimicks, but thats it.

Just use keybinds.

Is it worth trying to use my phone as a second monitor?

Fuck. That looks good

I am interested in this idea.

Looks nice but will be impractical as shit (like most Apple "innovations"). It's already hard enough finding a laptop without retarded chiclet keys.

No, you can get small monitors that are slightly larger than a tablet. I got one at a flea market for $10, and it works surprisingly well. I have to keep it on top of a box so it stays somewhat parallel with my main display, but hey. Nice screen to play videos on while I'm doing something else.

Seriously, nigger.

Apple wasn't complete shit in 1995, but when the huckster king gained full control, the QC went into the shitter and hardware prices went full happy merchant.

Yep, it's a fuckin' touchscreen. Instead of adding a touchscreen to their desktop and laptop displays which people have been clamouring for, for some reason. They instead decided to remove the function keys and add a teeny tiny touchscreen to the keyboard.

I don't know about vidya yet, but Apple have already paid some software devs to add functionality in their existing applications for the touch bar. It won't catch on though because it's so niche and barely useful. The most useful thing I've seen is timeline view & scrubbing in video editors. That's it. Microsoft have the same problem with the Surface Dial; the trailer made it look like it would fucking change your life, get you a great job, and suck your dick, and in reality it barely does anything useful. What the touchbar will be used for most is for the fucking emoji gallery, and for rich idiots to use the apple pay fingerprint integration shit it has.

It's much the same thing as the old Logitech G15 keyboard's lcd display. Except some devs actually added functionality for that fucking thing. WoW had a lot of shit that it could do with it, although almost none of it was useful. You could have your characters entire stat sheet displayed on it, or current Battleground stats, and some other shit. It also had some built-in functionality like stopwatch timers, clocks, CPU / RAM usage graphs, and some other shit, but again it's not all that useful so why the fuck would you bother.

Meanwhile Steelseries have a mouse with a retarded OLED display on the side that's supposed to be for showing your K:D or your favourite team's logo or whatever.

What fucking year am I in? Using the touchbar for doom was written about YEARS ago.

But I want a handheld wireless display possibly using the touchscreen as well.

I rather shoot myself.

Just get a second monitor, one for vidya and other for shitposting.

Fuck, I didnt notice, that is even MORE retarded.

Monitors are expensive (because we don't get flea markets in Canada) and I already have a phone (that I basically don't use as a phone).

no it doesnt

What does it mean to be a Vidmaster?

It is being balanced in the calm center of a whirling and untouchable tornado of destruction, while showers of grenades patter harmlessly around you and bullets crawl toward you in slow-mo.

It is when your brain develops a new bundle of nerves whose only function is to re-route impulses directly from your eyes to your finger muscles, so that you can twist and snap off a rocket long before you're conscious of the yellow blip in your motion detector.

It is when the difference between a roomful of alien warriors and a carpet of them is a matter of seconds.

Let us know when your shadowban is overturned. Or better still, don't.

Yeah it's called the function keys

I remember this thread from few months ago, it was about as pointless then as it is now

What's the Super key for?

That's the actual name of the "Windows key", newfags. It comes from the space cadet keyboard design which is the root of many terms and jargon.

If you do not already know then you do not have high enough clearance to be told.

Nope.

Weird, in my oldest computing handbooks it's usually referred to as the "Operate" key.

It supers.

So many modifier keys. That's so sexy.

Except, as far as I know, Apple has NEVER produced a chicklet keyboard.

A "chiclet keyboard" is a sort of rubber dome keyboard where your fingers actually touch the rubber, like the Sinclair ZX Spectrum, the IBM PCJr, or any cheap pocket calculator. It is usually seen as the second worst kind of keyboard in the world – next to membrane keyboards like the Atari 400.

Only recently morons have started to misuse the term in the sense of: flat keys on short-travel scissor switches. If you do that, you are a moron too. So don't.

Fixed that for ya.

What kind of ancient technology is this?

You mean something like these?

amazon.com/BW-3-5-Inch-Monitor-Automobile/dp/B0045IIZKU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493427700&sr=1-1&keywords=mini monitor

amazon.com/Elecrow-RPA05010R-800x480-Display-Raspberry/dp/B013JECYF2/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493427700&sr=1-4&keywords=mini monitor

You're an idiot: when people say chiclet keyboard they mean where the keys are spaced apart and not like a traditional keyboard. It has nothing to do with switches or rubber domes, retard.

It was deprecated and replaced with the Doug key.

You're really just proving my point further because they were called chiclet keyboards because each key looked like a separate chiclet candy.

As stated before, it's a space cadet. It's a kind of keyboard used on MIT's Lisp machines.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-cadet_keyboard

No, it's because they felt like bubble gum when you pressed the keys.

Assuming it wasn't only on a Macbook, the touchbar doesn't seem like anything useful.
The reason keyboard keys work so well is because there is already tactile feedback, and you know what you are pressing based on the homekeys so you rarely even look on the keyboard.

Touchbar OTOH requires you to look at it.
Hell, even if it didn't require touching, it'd still be useless since it requires your eyes to look at it to see 'stats' that you could've just displayed on the screen.

Playing requires you look at the screen. Especially fast-paced games

would be cool for skyrim or something immersive like that. you could have your health/stamina/mana down away from the main screen.

No.