DRAGON AGE SHIT

What with all the ripping the piss out of Mass Effect Hamdromeda I went and done played Dragon Age Origins again.

Lothering: "I've had my hands full keeping the migrants from resorting to petty theft or worse"

Dwarves should have all been English, bloody, sodding, dodgy etc are unreal with a yank tongue. Liliana's inflections are even weirder than I remembered, she's also clearly just a loon.

Wade the snooty armourer in Denerim is Bioware at the time, Herren on the front desk is money obsessed
EA making him work quickly to put out shoddy products.

Isabella is a mildly foxy (if stronk) redhead and not some half-breed from Pirates of the Caribbean.

Shale was the closest thing to a tranny. (Apart from when Connor turned into the big titted Desire demon)

Loghain did nothing wrong, King Cailin was a asshat with a glory hunter mentality meeting the horror reality of a WW1 and he got what he deserved, fed the cunt to the wolves when we went back for purposes of making Alistair mewl like a bitch.

You have to be seriously half assing it to fuck up the Landsmeet and it's over in 10 mins anyway.

The art of making traps is lost forever by DA2.

There is nothing comparable to the (simple) bridge-parts puzzle in the Gauntlet to Andraste's Ashes in any of the sequels. also after stripping Liliana to her scuds and slaughtering her for what must be the 5th time Cisquisition wrankles even more as I consider her dead

Some fights are actually *sort of* hairy, provided you just blindly barge straight in without even looking at the environment, I died like 6 times with my mage vs 1 time in Cisquisition where all that was required was to blindly barge in.

OTHER SHIT:

Since The Fade is built by the collective unconscious of the people of Thedas (it has a Sun), all those demons
are most likely of their own making. They should have more orgies to bring the number of desire demons down a bit.

Elves end up worshipping or following blood mages/evil shits because they're conceited, self
aggrandising heels who handwave the patent insanity of having an inexplicably immortal boss with vague blather
about their 2deep4everyone 'ancient ways'.

Seems like The Maker would be happy or at least neutral again if the people of Ferelden wiped out the cursed Tevinter mages who became
the OG Darkspawn but of course the larger background story went out the window with DA2, even with Corephyus being offed in 3 it didn't
feel like you were cleaning house with a purpose, they just needed another lame-ass big bad to smash.

Iron Bull was a Tal-Vashoth piece of shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

social.bioware.com/project/2850/
nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3496
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I beat the first game twice and I honestly don't remember anything about it.

If only I could say the same about the second two.

Don't worry, i just beaten it few days ago and i already don't remember anything about it. At least nothing really worth remembering, except Sten and Oghren clever commentaries and shitty morrigan sex scenes. And the fact nobody cared i was a blood mage for entire game.

Being a chantrycuck i presume? The maker doesn't even exist.

I don't even remember what exactly he did, but I remember the guy being a retard and driving a country to war for no reason

They put all of his motivation for doing what he did in a book that I am sure pretty much no one read. Not sure why they didn't try to put it into the game for a bit more context.

because these games are written by committee and it wouldn't surprise me if over half of the development team didn't even know what his motivation was, let alone if he was even a bad guy at all or not.

I get that Andraste's ashes might well have had a load of Lyrium dust asbestos fallen into em to make em magic and all but wut about muh once Golden, now nigger infested shitty city in the Fade?

Both the authors and the readers have too much time to burn.

The authors are just glad to be working and getting paid.

I seriously doubt they're glad.

Are there any mods that make Origins interesting?

Dragon Age Origins was the last "good" Bioware game. It was the last game of theirs I felt had a lot of personality and was worth replaying. Which was how I felt about all of their games at the time. I didn't used to replay rpgs but Bioware games I would play like 4-5 times each.

After DAO their games felt less like their own thing and more like they were trying to appeal to what they thought their fanbase wanted. Like ME3's "omniblade" shit and DAI intentionally tailoring itself after Skyrim. Not to mention the vast amount of homosexual romance options. And it felt less interesting to play the game again because it felt like the plot and characters were more blunt and in your face.

There's one that makes the combat a little bit better IIRC, don't remember anything else. This game isn't as moddable as NWN was

There's mostly cosmetic mods for DAO. Like a huge amount.

The toolset for DAO was pretty powerful, Machinima even partnered with Bioware to make this machinima series to tie into Dragon Age Awakening. And it was created using the toolset. But very few people actually used it for anything of any actual substance.

I don't think that's entirely correct.

The game supports creating "total conversions" and new environments to the game. It's just a lot harder to do than NWN1 (which was designed to make new areas/characters quickly).

There have been some attempts at making total conversion mods for the game but they've mostly been very amateurishly made.

Besides dooming his people to gruesome cannibalism at the hands of mutated monsters, nothing wrong sure.

I just realised they kinda almost ripped off the Heart of Lorkhan when you find the Titan heart in that Cisquis DLC, Also red Lyrium was just an excuse to give Meredith a lightsaber in 2.

because the story is just lotr mixed with game of thrones, it's utterly derivative.

Also I hated the DLCs, I bought and played the original, bought the "ultimate edition" a couple of years later, tried to play it, got the king armor with 30% dodge chance (as a combat mage that amounts to 50% with the passive skills, besides auras that absord damage for mana) and quit.
Game with the DLCs is a mess, shale is a shitty annoying character and all the items are overpowered shit.

He or rather his men would have joined them in death if they'd piled in, they should never have tried to fight them at Ostegar in the first place, they weren't as prepared as they thought for the tidal wave of shit coming their way.

Granted he was a less than charitable regent what with the slavery and torture and all that

That wasn't what Loghain was doing.

If you recruit him into the Grey Wardens you can ask him about Ostagar and why he did it. And he mentions that he didn't want Cailan to bring in reinforcements from Orlais because they occupied Ferelden just a few decades earlier and he was afraid bringing in the Orlesian army would cause it to occur again.

What Loghain wanted was for the naive and foolish king to be killed and for all of Ferelden to unite under a single banner against a common threat. Which would strengthen the country as a whole. He was generally more concerned with Orlais than he was the Darkspawn. He didn't even think it was a "true blight" til much later in the game. He also wasn't aware that the Grey Wardens are actually biologically required to kill an Arch Demon.

The player character/Alistair surviving to rally most of the country against him wasn't in his plan. His plan would have failed but he had fairly good intentions for doing what he did. He even regrets it when you ask him since he didn't expect the Darkspawn would've been as big of a threat as they became.

Shale was originally going to be in DAO but was cut really close to release. You can see it with how there's a lot of voice acting from the main characters in it.

There are some mods that add cool shit, like Ser Gilmore adding a pretty good companion. He is a fucking white knight to the death, but that's kinda the point. There is a mod that allows you to put a chest in your camp, which helps a lot.
There are a fuckton of armor mods, Phoenix armory being my favorite. There are some quest mods, Dark Times Act 1 being one of the better examples.

Best mod is this: social.bioware.com/project/2850/
It fixes female dwarf proportions and gives them some style and grace.

what are you gay?

OP is a moron and as I have said, every Bioware game has been shit, there are no exceptions, there is no immersion, there is no medieval feel, it's just replaced with a le quirky xd faggy FABULOUS YASS QUEEN funny moustache blacksmith or Steve Blum dwarf saying stupid things or some NPC making some funny internet reference or ECHANTMENT XDDDDD

Fuck you all for buying their games, everything you complain about modern gaming has been in their games since the start, all of it, you are all just a bunch of whiny faggots who are only noticing it because it's being pointed out by retards on social media.

Almost as great as the mod that adds gigantic erect dicks to ogres.

t. child who is too young to remember when bioware was good

I have to concur. The best example of why BioWare games are shit is T4 in KOTOR. The "character" serves no purpose outside of a story mission on the first planet, it has no personality or content related to it, it's only in the game because BioWare needed an R2D2 stand-in "because that's Star Wars", and this is the same fucking reason that, despite being given free reign to do whatever the fuck they wanted with the license, free from any need to adhere to canon, they still defaulted to Jedi and Sith, Empire and Republic, and were so creatively bankrupt that they couldn't even shit out a faction that wasn't the OT Empire with a cheap paintjob.

Say what you want about KOTOR 2 but at least it attempted something different with the license and even manages to give T4 a semblance of character and agency.

Fuck BioWare.

And when was that? I've been playing their games since BG1 and they've all been uninspired turds.

Well I guess there's just no fixing shit taste. You have my pity.

What I remember about Dragon Age Origins, was the slow crawl of EA's power seeping over the game after it was released. First you had a solid, decent game, with a pretty good story, competent character creation, and closure which required no sequels.

Then the DLC started arriving. Low quality, recycled assets, and far, far lower quality story. It had one DLC that even contradicted the fucking origin story that Leliana told you. Then we got awakening, which I found to just be shit, story wise.

Dragon Age Origins was a game that started out decent, but was damaged by the start of Bioware's slow descent into ruin. Just play it without any DLC to get the proper experience.

except I've played plenty of generic shit before and I can remember most of them. this game just feels like it's all completely pointless.

1. T3 was likely planned to be more involved in the game but a lot of it was cut early on. I'd also imagine they wanted more droid characters apart from HK-47. There was planned to be more plants for instance, like this big lava planet. But it was cut.

2. Bioware didn't have free reign with the license. At the time Lucasarts only wanted games set during the Clone Wars era specifically, and not the original trilogy. They asked to set it in a different part of the canon entirely which was allowed.

The "old republic" era was also defined at that time. There were comics set during that time period. It was still vague and it allowed them to do things like create things like the Rakata, kolto, pazaak etc, and add their own lore to it. The Sith/Jedi being a thing was something that was already defined in the comics of that time period. The Mandalorian war iirc was also stated to be a thing at the time before Kotor.

I've played all of those games that every mongoloid such as yourselves loves to slurp on, and it turns out they are absolute shit and riddled with every single awful thing that exists in every single Bioware game, you are a fucking faggot and you should take off the nostalgia glasses.

Loghain apologists plz

That fact is literally the only reason Grey Wardens are above the law and can summon anyone into their ranks with no questions.

As far as anyone outside their order knows they're just unusually good at killing darkspawn thanks to things like the ability to sense them. Even the player character isn't told how killing the archdemon works until late in the game.

I don't think that's actually the reason. I think it's more so that the right of conscription is something they snuck into their treaties during the last few blights. They don't actually tell anyone that it's actually the reason.

It's also why the Dwarves obey it when you get conscripted during the Dwarf Commoner origin instead of going to prison. Since you also have a treaty with the dwarves which you show to them later on in the game when you go back to Orzammar.

Alistair states that the reason they don't do it is they'd also need to divulge things like the person who kills the Archdemon also dies in the process. And that Grey Wardens only live for a few decades before they get overcome with the taint.

That's more so because there wasn't enough time to explain it. The battle of Ostagar occurs immediately after your joining and you weren't even told you had to drink Darkspawn blood until right before the ceremony occurs. Or that it has an enormous chance to kill upon being drunk.

Although Alistair wasn't told about it either but I think that's more so because he wasn't expected to be the one to kill the Archdemon. And it had been a few hundred years since the previous blight.

Origins is interesting and worth a play through even without mods. For it's time, it was a fantastic game.

I disagree. The fact that you could stop your adventure at any time, and turn to talk to your companions made everything so much more immersive. Your decisions effected how people responded to you, your boss battles, and your final ending.

Also Alistar's dream mod, which was surprisingly really good. Sleep mod. And my personally favorite was daylight at camp mod. It made cutscenes so much prettier.

Except that's the main sticking point. From Loghains perspective, he doesnt know he "needs" the grey wardens, he just knows one is maerics kid iirc. So he's got two of the last wardens on the loose, who saw him let the king die, but dont know the king was selling ferelden out to the orlais again and planning to marry the orlais bitch queen, and one of those wardens is an illegitimate heir, who will most likely try and gain control and kill him for letting the traitor king die.

On top of all that, he doesnt even think it's a real blight, seeing as he thought it was just an unusually high amount of darkspawn. From his perspective, it's completely normal to think he doesnt need the dudes who are good at killing darkspawn, cause they never fucking told anyone "yeah dudes, we're the only ones capable of killing archdemons". It's a simple matter of perspectives. If Loghain was the protag, and you played through Maeric and his revolution from serfdom and abuse from Orlais, to the end of the blight, you'd feel perfectly justified in everything. Hell, I think maeric would have killed Cailan as well for his decisions relating to orlais. It had only been a couple decades since they were free, not even a century.

Started around six or seven times, choosing a different character/backstory, and always gave up, the writing was so awful I just wanted everyone to die. Only game where the writing alone got me to stop.

you sound like the biggest virgin loser on Holla Forums right now

isn't "virgin loser" kind of an oxymoron?

autism is the cause for that

no? just look at yourself

DA is way worse than Mass Effect

Only the first one was even playable, the sequels are just gay propaganda with exponentially worse gameplay, Inquisition is asian mmo tier shit

Did someone put up a kotaku article? What're you goons doing so far from home?

So loghain is just a retard who acts without making sure he has all the facts
I guess all the fucking armies of darkspawn running around didn't clue him in

Origins was great. Sad that good video games cannot be created now because of idiots and faggots. The new infinity engine games are trash too, and ruined by a goon.

Loghain did everything wrong. There's reason Gayder loves him so much and has constantly been wanking him ever sense.

The Maker existing/not existing was one of those nebulous aspects of the setting. It's only natural that Bioware, as shit as they've become, have moved toward cutting out the mysteries of their own setting.

A good fantasy setting is built on mystery and ambiguity. See also: TES. Giving everything an explanation, an answer, is a shitty way of doing things, unless you have the sort of single-minded autism that a person like Tolkein had. And even he never explained any of that shit in LOTR or the Hobbit, and kept it to separate books.

Completely unrealistic. Never happened before.

It's not a real blight without an archdemon. And nobody had seen an archdemon at that point. Just Duncan said he "sensed one". And as Alistair pointed out they just thought he was making it up. They didn't know that Grey Wardens actually drank darkspawn blood and actually could hear the Archdemon. Darkspawn occasionally come up to the surface in the game's lore all the time so they just thought it was just a large raid of them and not an actual blight.

Does anyone remember how good DAO's trailers were?

If you're referring to Pillars there I'm pretty sure multiple team members of that game were goons. I remember Sawyer and Avellone both posting pretty regularly back in ~2012 or so when shilling for the game when into overdrive and that one faggot finally finished his PT let's play that took like 6 years.

OP here: Hey I didn't buy the damn thing or think it was any good, I agree that every Bioware game including DOA has made it a point to break immersion with their bullshit crowbarring of far too self referential in-chat-shit that's gotten truly fucking terrible with the latest outings.

DOA is tripe fantasy, it makes no attempt to present actual life in medieval terms it glosses over everything that might comprise reality in favour of OP protagonists wading through countless hordes of boneniggers made of tissue paper.

What's truly depressing is that DOA is mediocre but it's better than the absolute shit they barf up nowadays.

I did exactly this, I nearly got started on Awakening but then realised I didn't give a shit as soon as Anders turned up.

There's 3 Grey Wardens at the Ostegar battle and 2 escape alive.

I paid full price for it when it launched. I'd just completed BG 1&2 and they were touting this as the successor to Baulder's gate. The trailer with Manson really made it look cool to my teenage brain.

I was very wrong in this purchase.

Thanks man, means a lot.

This is spot on, the only reason DOA is any good is because of the Mage intro and the concept of the Fade, after that it loses it's spoopy and turns into schlock.

Brilliant move, Army of Ferelden

afaik only dwarves actually know that. The science behind how darkspawn do anything is only really understood by Grey Wardens. Humans just know them as some random creatures that occasionally flair up every so often that once tried to conquer the world a few hundred years prior.

It's also that politically Ferelden is very equalist so women get to be knights and stuff regardless. So there's a fairly equal slant in terms of how many female soldiers there actually are.

Something not a lot of people in this thread are knowing about DAO's lore is that the Darkspawn being a huge problem is only something people know historically. They're actually generally more concerned with more recent issues like Orlais occupying the entire country just a few decades earlier. To put it into perspective if you're doing the Mage origin, your character can ask "what's a darkspawn?" or respond with "darkspawn are a dwarf problem". Because that's how they view it. Even when you go down to Orzammar one of the dwarves there straight up says he doesn't give a fuck about the Blight because your worst nightmare is his reality every single day. And the way you convince him to help you out is you tell him it's going to get way worse if they get to the surface and they start needing more soldiers.

Really all that kind of shit does is make me wish the darkspawn were never in the game and it's common among Bioware games. You have this main conflict that's a complete snooze compared to all the stuff going on in the background and since Bioware games are hardly the most open-ended and interactive RPGs you can't really do much with any of it.
It's like if you went to a play and the sets looked better than the actors and costumes.

Actually DA2 was planned to be originally a more down to earth spinoff game. It was going to be set in just a city and would detail your character being a refugee from Ferelden due to the blight and having to work at being a bigger player in the city and stuff. It wasn't turned into "Dragon Age 2" til later in development which streeeeeeeeeetched this out into a 60 hour game and crammed all of the city elements I described into the first 1/3rd.

Reading about Dragon Age 2's development makes it seem like Bioware really wanted to just make a character driven down to Earth rpg but was changed into something else entirely later. You can still see remnants of this like how the main character is voiced and you have a premade backstory and a family you interact with. Which wasn't something that Bioware really did before.

I heard about that and I really doubt even Bioware in their prime could've pulled it off.

But it wasn't even that good by the standards set by Ice Wind Dale and Baldur's Gate. It was essentially that one game that everyone sung its praise because they wanted another Planescape Torment and the Meme that "we need to support the developers so they make more of what we love" really gained traction.

Man, those trailers were really misleading. But they got young & dumb me to buy the game, so I guess blur did their job right.

There are mods that add all of this in.

In terms of archery dunno if there's a mod that fixes that. Shapeshifter has an involved mod that lets you transform into basically anything including bosses which makes it way better.

I'm well aware, and that's not an argument. My point is that that shit was falsely represented in the first place. They did the same thing with the 2nd game's trailer.

A lot of these trailers are made by different companies/the marketing department. It's likely when they were made all they had to go off of was concept art

There are a lot more besides Duncan, Alistair, and (You) there at Ostagar. Hell, there was a whole army waiting in Orlais, but when they sent a guy to see what was going on Loghain put him on the rack and nearly fucked the whole world just because he really hates the French.

Baldur's Gate is one of the most overrated RPGs on Holla Forums. It's like playing D&D without all of the good parts of D&D.

Still seems like a stretch to me. I'm just glad that the era of "cinematic game trailers" is mostly dead.

One thing that really killed this game for me was how every character would be either deadpan serious or annoyingly smarmy in most conversations. Sometimes characters would act in ways that made sense for them to have such an attitude (Sten), but most characters always had a either that pout going on or the dreamworks smug face for their personality.

yeah the script read like a bad Buffy episode half the time.

I recall disliking the same thing. I remember reading that it was supposed to be a dark story set in a dark fantasy setting, and the human noble intro suggested that with the betrayal, family murder and so on. It was all going with that tone, well till you meet Alistair making shitty jokes in a camp near a battlefield. Really expected a different mood.

wew
yes that is somewhat true, but it just goes to show how awful western game developers are at making role playing games. Because dispite this critique its still the best CPRG. The king of the turds and way better then Dragon Age.

If you guys want to see how good the toolset could be, try Thirst.

nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/3496

It's honestly one of my favourite game mods of all time. Lots of C&C, good setting and worldbuilding, and a much better RPG (with a lot of challenge) than the vanilla game. It's a shame that more shit like this wasn't made with the toolset. It really could be harnessed to make some great RPG modules.

But that's what the fans like, user.

The game tries to justify it with him quipping as a coping mechanism for being a hated bastard, but it just doesn't come off well. I liked the political intrigue and grim setting the few times it seemed to work, but Bioware never found a consistent sweet spot where you could have light moments between the misery. Mass Effect 1 found that line, but not DAO. Looking back, I think it comes down to the writers being split up when bioware started having multiple teams. They took the cream of the crop for ME, then left the scraps for DA and the other games. If you look at characters in games Gaider previously worked on, it's starting to make sense why DA turned out this way, yet other games didn't get it nearly as bad. HK-47 and Black Whirlwind have similar stock personalities that show up in origins, but the other writers bring enough contrast that it balances things out. Once those writers left and Gaider became top dog, his love of sarcasm, quips, and crass humor took center stage like summed up.

It's what introverted women like, but that makes sense after seeing pictures of the current writers.

On Holla Forums, not by Holla Forums. You can't play the hivemind meme if you don't use it right.

y tho
y

You are laterally retarded.
BG was shit already when it was released, there were far better rpgs back then already.

But many people shit on Baldur's Gate around here and the term "Most" means a majority. Therefore you are evoking the hivemind meme and now trying to shift the goalpost.

no there wasn't. You are delusional. Eye of the Beholder, TES and Clouds of Xeen are dogshit and you know it. Stop being such a retarded Hypster.

fallout 2

Yeah, there were. Realms of Arkania, Fallout, Darklands, Wizardries, M&Ms, Ultimas.

Yeah, I felt the same about the blood mage thing. It is like i'm standing here stabbing myself with a dagger and having blood shoot out of me in a creepy fucked way in the sight of all of these characters who are supposed to despise blood magic, but nobody gives a shit. I found it funny really. Blood magic was overpowered too so i constantly used it.

I feel like a lot of games and movies have this problem of not having the characters taking their roles seriously.

I see no other mention of any other Wardens there but the three of you and the two who die in the joining. If you're quoting book sources or whatever they're irrelevant.

Even with him hardened Alistair is still a whiny bitch.

Duncan mentions that he and the rest of the Grey Wardens would be down fighting the battle and that the Player and Alistair would stay up top because they were the greenest wardens. This is after the other recruits die. Alistair even mentions that the only reason that he was with the PC and the other recruits was because he was the newest up to that point.

So Loghain did everything wrong but he ment well.

THICC

You're sent to the tower thing because Alistair and you are rookies. All the wardens of Ferelden (which weren't many to begin with because of Soldier's Peak rebellion, granted) are in the battle, it's not just Duncan. Also there is a full fledged contingent of Wardens from Orlais that Loghain men turned around at the frontier because "Muh Orlesian invaders". What there is no mention is actually the Orlesian army.
They say that they are mobilizing, want to help etc… but the only force that is actually mentioned to have been really dispatched are grey wardens (which are neutral… and a couple hundred guys at best).

So yeah the only thing Loghain did right is turn Alistair into a drunken homeless, then sacrificing himself so my PC didn't have to…

It's the hallmark of female writing. They don't have respect for dramatic form, so only go along with it begrudingly.

Did you even use tactics? Dragon age is all about where you position your characters.

Leliana is one of the strongest characters in the game. Her buffs are beastly. You just have to keep her at a safe distance until she a higher level then she is pretty much unstoppable. Her scatter-shot stunned hoards and one shot kill (forgot the name) could do massive on damage on high dragons and oneshot orcs.

>Not using Morrigan's swam shapeshifting ability to do massive damage on hordes

Buffy is classic. You shall speak no ill of it.

It's a good look isn't it

I recently started playing this game but I am turned off by this MMO tier combat. People called the combat of Witcher 1 shit but atleast it wasn't this trash.
The only thing I can think of that this game has over infinity engine games is that warriors actually have threat managment abilities. Beyond that everything is worse, from meaningless loot to the tab targeting combat.