Would anybody here argue that Super Mario 64 is the best controlling 3D mario?

Would anybody here argue that Super Mario 64 is the best controlling 3D mario?
Don't get me wrong I like the game, but mario is extremely sluggish and the feedback from the movement is very minimal.
The fact that a lot of mario's moves can't be done until you've ran for at least a few seconds is extremely annoying too.

Am I just being a faggot?

bullshit

Most would.
Yes.

No. The game is old. You're fine.
Wait for Odyssey.

Really?
Even in a world where Sunshine exists?

That's kind of hard to believe.

It's a known fact that 64 has the biggest influx of blind autists. Who's only argument resides with a refutation to a speedrunner who has pried the game open hundreds of times, like any other game. So they feel justified to say It's unrivalled and the best thing ever.

Nintendo 64 era was a mistake. Glad the fucking thing bombed.
It's not worth the discussion.
Sunshine/Galaxy are superior

Embarrassing user.

No.

If you're not including the remake, it's Sunshine that's the best.
Actually I can't even remember if the remake even handled better now…

The remake was utter shit. While the N64 had an analog controller allowing you to move Mario around with some precision, all that goes down the drain with the NDS' D-pad.

Ugh, that game. I couldn't beat Bowser in the Dark World. I fucking dropped the game after that.

Good fucking luck handling edges

I much rather prefer Sunshine but it's a matter of taste.

HOW?

The spin jump in Sunshine was amazing, but the wall kick was downgraded, and FLUDD was a poor replacement for the long jump.

People like to praise all of the different moves you have in the game, but how many of them are actually useful? I don't think I ever used the side flip. Why would I?

The audio quality is pretty trash and I see lots of visual compression artifacting

It feels so fluid. I wish there was a sequel to it that didn't have a bunch of bullshit added/changed.

Wish they made an expansion sequel. Or a romhack with decent levels in the same style. It felt like a built-in tech-demo for home PCs, kinda like Chip's Challenge or Maxis Pinball 3D. It had that primitive computer charm to it. Brilliant game.

Everytime I encode, it looks worse than that webm, but around 2x the size of the sourcefile.

Maybe I should just stick with CLI ffmpeg instead of using pajeet GUI encoders huh?

After playing all of them 64 still feels like the best controlling Mario. To the extent that it gets several dozen Romhacks being made of it still today. Level design wise though it's probably not the best Mario game however. Still I would have preferred a proper sequel to 64 with the same exact setup just larger over what became Sunshine. Which had potential but fell flat in a lot of fucking areas.

And I have no hope for Odysee because Nintendo will manage to fuck it up somehow but I'll hold my tongue.

I still love Mario 64 because it starts the fastest and has the least amount of bullshit that wastes your time.

Incredibly this. There's no Nintendo hand holding or anything. It just starts after a short cut scene and you're off. No tutorial, no bullshit.

I don't really like SM64, but Mario has weight in this game, it feels like it requires skill to control well.

New Mario has that stupid fucking hat with eyes. You'll see how stupid it looks, even if it doesn't "get in the way", it gives the felling of being a 2-man team.

Having to buy abilities in the store gives coins more purpose, but I always preferred the way SM64 and SMW changed the whole world whenever you found the switches hidden away. It felt amazing to find a 'secret' and change the perceptive on the entire game like that.

Thats kind of the case with 3D Land/3D World too, I think there might be like one intro cutscene but its probably comparable to the beginning of 64

And for that matter, take off the fucking nostalgia goggles. There's this long ass intro sequence in the beginning coupled with more dialogue before they finally even let you into the castle

Only if you think Sonic is hard, because "he doesn't always jump up" or you think MGS, Ass Creed, and Dark Souls have bad controls simply becuase they have physics.

I think Mario turns as fast as he could in SM64. Any faster wouldn't feel nearly as good or comfortable. The game isn't some janky Korean MMORPG, there's not Megaman controls.

The first world is basically a tutorial.

What is with the rampant shit taste on this board? That's even the one I got to play first never owned an n64 so there isn't nastolgia blinders. I did a recent run through mario64 THEN sunshine and sunshine doesn't hold a candle. There is no kick jump, the backwards somersault is slower to pull off. The only good addition is the spin jump. You probably thought it controlled better because flood could correct any fuckups in platforming.

Lice laugh faggot. I bet you're the OP in the other thread who though the nerf on the move sets didn't change or matter because you said so. Either way nah. 3D land and World are both nothing special. They do a few things neat but the games are boring and streamlined to hell and back.

There's 1 intro sequence you sit through for less than a minute and maybe 3 screens of text once your in the castle. Other games such as Sunshine, Galaxy 1/2 have tutorial levels and several cutscenes. Don't even bullshit.

Easily the worst Mario in the series imo.

I don't think you know what a tutorial means.

Possibly the least useful move in any game ever

Sunshine controls better in general. Mario doesn't take ages to build up speed, the animation feedback is fucking amazing (better than any other game I know of) and all the moves feel right.

I mean fuck man, you can't even do the forwards B leap in 64 without getting to max speed. Fucking annoying as shit.

There's still a group of autists shilling the shit out of it.

He doesn't in 64, either.

You kidding? At least a few seconds.

Nigger what

False. It was used for flying enemies and also boosted you a little higher in the air and gave you a bit more time for a more fine landing.

It's called momentum. And it's used very well in 64 because you never have to sacrifice that speed if you're good enough. And depending on the slope it takes maybe a second. I take it over Sunshine any day though.

Why would you want to always move at max speed? No game does this.

I swaer you megaman-loving autists are so retarded, you don't understand basic momentum and physics.

There's like a .1 second delay he's being autistic over, which you can kickjump to skip.

A section of the game that teaches you to play the game. Like instructing the player to walk up a hill to recieve a star, to make sure they've mastered the controls.

Sunshine does it, same as Galaxy.
It's just better, there's no reason to not start off at max speed except to annoy the player.

The only flaw I can remember It's burned into my brain for as long as I live is that god-awful camera. The Bowser fights were all quite bland as well, though I can't think of any Mario game where those were ever fun tbh.

Except it does nothing differently than any other level in the game. There's no "section" just the level without anything popping up to tell you what to do. Mario 64 doesn't have a tutorial level just a first very easy one because that's how difficulty scales work.

I don't care about accurate physics, I want my snappy moves dammit!

Could do a lot better with the 12MB limit. 40kbps video, anyway.

ffmpeg is like magic once you learn to use it. GUI encoders are just garbage frontends with retarded default parameters.

twitchy*
ftfy

That's just wrong though. Mario has always had a slight delay to his speed and stop. This has been the case since the 2D NES games.

There's nothing snappy about cheap, MMO movement in video games.

You people are so autistic and unathletic, you can't intuitively grasp the smooth buttery physics of the game. Bet you suck at racesims too.

The Bowser fight in SMW was a good final boss.

Did any Mario beside Sunshine have an outright tutorial?

We're talking to pretty much imperceptible in galaxy and sunshine to very obvious in 64.

I mean if it's there in sunshine I don't see it, that's how fast you go.

What? No really what?

Galaxy 1/2 had plenty of cutscenes and a world you wern't able to return to if I recall. World didn't have one but you could pretty much call the entire game a tutorial with how easy it was in comparison to 64 and most of both Galaxy's. Some say being to easy isn't a flaw, I say that a franchise should grow with it's audience. Or at the very least not become more casualized as it goes on.

MMO's use linear-speed, vector-based movement to be light on resoruces. It feel awful and has no sense of weight.

Have you played 64 lately? It's not a very hard game. If anything, 3D World might be harder.

You're making it way too simple. By saying mmo movement you're implying that that's all there is to the speed.

It's not like 64 is that different. The speed cap is exactly the same, it just takes longer to build up.

Super Mario 64 is STILL the best 3D platformer of all time

I never said it was hard but it's not piss easy either. World makes 64 look like Star Revenge.

When did you last play 64? I remembered it as a challenging game too when I hadn't touched it since my age was in the single figures.

I'm playing it right now. And Rainbow Ride alone is harder than any level in World outside of Champion road.

Fuck Rainbow Ride.
FUCK IT

Rainbow ride was only hard because of the extremely unforgiving. It was more bad design than anything really. Fuck up a jump, accidentally get bumped off the carpet or not realize the carpets disappearing? Enjoy redoing the boring rainbow ride all over agian.

Fuck the fucking carpets. FUCK THEM. The rest is fine though.
Though I guess Tick Tock Clock is hard than 99% of world to and anybody shits on a well done vertical level needs to fuck off.

git gud. The level was small and easy to traverse if you wern't shit and getting to 70% of the stars wasn't a chore to repeat because of carpets. Also dying put you right outside of the entrance so you have no excuse to say it was to unforgiving.

>Complains about the part I was mainly getting at carpets
typical Holla Forums

I'll always love this.

Rainbow Ride is just tedious. It only tries your patience.

This. I could never play it just because of the carpet parts.

Like I said git gud. The only tedious parts are the carpets which only sum up 2-4 stars. Even less if you knew how to skip some portions. The rest you could get to easily. In any case you guys are missing the original point.

There's nothing impressive about being good at watching paint dry.

Missing where I specificly stated the carpet portions were in fact bullshit and boring
You faggots are underaged if all you thought that world consisted of was carpets. You could make your way through 80% of the level without them.

Sunshine controls better IMO, the amount of friction/traction 64 mario has and how he makes hard turns doesn't feel quite right

I acutally dug up what he's talking about. Around 7:00 you can just turn around and jump down to a little area behind where you start off and you don't have to deal with the rainbows. Idk if that shit is always there or only appears when you get enough stars but I never saw it.

My weakness in games is patience so when I saw you had to sit around for that level I juts skipped it entirely.

Like I said he has momentum. Which is better but somehow people think it's not.

It was always there. The first time I played the level I found and went for it. I vividly remember it because it was iconic of the level letting you advance quicker if you took a risk. Which ended up continuing the trend for most of the remaining level.

I might actually beat that level now.

The side flip is a faster way to jump as high as the backflip, I used that shit all of the time and rarely fucked with the backflip.

Side flip is god tier and needs to be in more Mario games period. This is by far the worst thing they nerfed to pointlessness in World.

Here, I made it better for your future shitposting needs.

I always associate hilariously retarded clusterfucks with the Rainbow Ride theme specifically because of it.

I hate Mario 64 fags so fucking much. They are so fucking obnoxious and uppity, it's almost as if they only played Nintendo games for their entire lives or something.

Mario 64 was shit and aged terribly.

Not even close to the best Mario game but N64 babbies abound that owned it as their first system.

Stop calling it World. It's 3D World. You're confusing me.

Only nostalgic idiots would say it controls well these days. Especially after 2 galaxy games.

"Henry" detected

Considering the original World didn't even have a side flip I'de say you're just confused at something you don't understand.

Bait

You could use a side flip followed by a wall jump to get the star in a floating platform in whomps fortress instead of using the cannon.

You only need the shortened version, really.

Even pannek admits he's insane.

This is the best thing about the game. Finding new ways to get better and pulling off wacko batshit combos in order to ascend in skill.

Are these shitposts? I can long-jump all over that level and i'm pretty average.

Most of the level is standing still, how is this difficult?

What is this autism? Jesus Christ.

Uh, no.

How new are you?

I remember it feeling like it controlled extremely well. I think it was mostly because you did have things move around slowly enough that you could make sense of the 3D space to do the platforming in it, of which there was a large amount.

It felt a bit like a puzzle as to figuring out how to even do the platforming in various sections, rather than just reacting to what platforming occurred. Which is also a major weakness of the game that probably is the reason why we haven't gotten a lot of 3D Mario games in comparison to all the 2D ones. Like the Super Mario Galaxy games felt a bit like they were trying to play with gimmicks more than act as traditional platformers.

Not at all. I've just never stumbled across this before.

pls

Right. They downgraded the mechanics from Mario 64 when they made Mario World, even though it came out several years earlier.

dubs and /thread

Carpets user. There's a few areas you can't get to without them. But I'm not calling the level hard by any standards.

No you're just making assumptions off of things that you should know better about. I'm assuming I don't have to treat you like a retard and make perfectly clear which Mario game I'm talking about when I mention sideflips.

see

It's the only 3D mario with good controls.

Oh look, a faggot who's only played Mario 64 on an emulator.

It was bound to happen.

Just remember, most game "reviews" that you see about shitty controls are happening on emulators.

Yeah, it's definitely just you being a faggot. Don't you have a bag of dicks to suck?

Only if they're playing on the keyboard. Mario 64 if anything, has better controls on emulators because you can use an analog stick that's not shit