Walls of text in video games

Do you read quests and/or flavour text in you video games? Especially action-oriented ones, where you don't get to think about an answer?
I usually do

Other urls found in this thread:

rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10511
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Its good that sacred even has those walls of text, i thought that shitty diablo clone has no lore or story at all.

When I played diablo 2 for the first time it was some pirated version tucked into 1 cd with all cinematics cut out, so I though it doesn't have much story too and your dude was just travelling around making money off killing monsters.

Depends on the game.

If the text is written well why not

Am I autistic?

Why do you watch people play game to begin with?

I googled and that game looks comfy as fuck. Love me some pre-rendered graphics. How much text does it have?

Sacred has some great fucking lore actually.

If the walls of text are pretentious bullshit that can be explained in two sentences, I am not gonna read that shit and I'm gonna find a better game. It's not the walls of text that scares me, it's the walls of pretentious shit that drags on. If it was good text, I would like it.

If I like the world. I threw DA: Origins codex entries in the trash.

No.

The tagline is "Have you played any good books lately?" so take a wild guess. And it's beyond comfy, I mean there's even a skelebro.

it would have to be pretty atrocious for me to not give everything i see a read. im not even a big fan of reading, but im always down to read any kind of in game lore deposit.

I usually skip them and I skip cutscenes too, at least in any game with fun gameplay and subpar writing (almost all of them)

You realize it's annoying to reference an article without doing the courtesy of linking it, right?

rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10511

obligatory

I don't get it.

It's a literal wall of text in the game, in both senses as it goes on for fucking ever and a half.

Baldur's gate had endless reams of that stuff.
It should be optional to display - tick here to hide useless nonsense.

Only skim them to learn where to go and what to kill. There's a reason not a single video game writer has ever won a Pulitzer Prize, and I'm not going to waste my time on their drivel.

Move aside, best post coming through.

I enjoy the occasional flavor text. If the game has a bestiary complete with flavor text I end up reading the whole thing at some point.

I'm fine as long as it's relevant. I get pissed off when I'm stuck behind walls of text that have fuck all to do with the main story.

This is canon.

that font is a bit hard on the eyes though, or maybe its the crazy spacing.

I believe Pillar's of Eternity was the wall of text to end all walls of text.

Boring.
Boring.
Boring.
yes, I like to read, but not that shit

Walls of text are good in visual novels and books. Not in video games and movies.

It more-or-less depends on the genre. I'm not having an expectation of having slow burn character studies in an Arena Shooter. Conversely, I'd prefer if the story of an RPG wasn't condensible into a shitty 1-paragraph Sparknotes page.